Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 pm

A350OZ wrote:
Re NTL's new route, my final guess is DPS. I would say nonstop but not sure who would operate it as it seems too long for a JQ A320.

So maybe JQ doing something like NTL-CNS/DRW-DPS.


Doesn't JQ have some A320NEO's be delivered later on this year? Have slightly more range the current A320CEO's so it could be doable.
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:15 pm

NTL announcement at 11am.
 
jman
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Boof wrote:

jman wrote:
Actually, it is two flights a day 4 times a week, and 3 flights a day 3 days a week. The flight that leaves 3 days a week (which is a tag flight that becomes the TSV-DPS) is the flight being cancelled. And at present, the late night flight returns immediately to Brisbane arriving just after midnight, so i'd hardly call it a return of morning flight. The morning TSV flight and evening TSV flight are flown by two different aircraft, so there isn't actually about 12 hours of flying to fill, and the only reason the crew and aircraft based part was brought up was because it was stated that the TSV-DPS was crewed by CNS crew, which was incorrect which i pointed out.

Seems we have a differing opinion and have different information about a few of these things. I'm not losing any sleep over this, and as I mentioned earlier I'm not going to argue so let's leave it. Thanks for engaging in the discussion.


Considering that i work for JQ and have been aware of the new flight status for a few months, was just trying to educate you on the things you got wrong
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:34 am

FINALLY REVEALED - NTL - ADL on FlyPelican.

What a disappointment - ADL-named cocktails? :roll:

See:
- https://www.facebook.com/ntlairport/
- https://www.hit.com.au/news/newcastle/c ... isadelaide

Image

Cheers,

C.
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 am

Boring.

This tells me someone stuffed up posting this on their website initially and everything since was to cover up the stuff up.
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:45 am

NTL-ADL 3x weekly from March, “FlyPelican is partnering with Alliance Airlines who will operate the flights.” Boom.

https://twitter.com/NTLairport/status/9 ... 5312912385
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 am

So was my source good, or what?
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:51 am

Hmm
Cocktails?
Beaches?
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1719
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 am

"The Newcastle-Adelaide service is ideal for business and leisure."

Tuesday: ADL0630-0910NTL0950-1130ADL
Wednesday: ADL1515-1755NTL1835-2015
Friday: ADL1630-1910NTL1950-2130ADL

Doesn't look like a very business-friendly schedule to me. Three totally different timings, two mid-week and no Monday service? This seems to have been a lot of hype for what is a fairly bland announcement. And, as waoz1 says... cocktails? Gold? How did they get that out of ADL!?
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8436
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:30 am

What market are they targeting here? 3 weekly is a leisure oriented schedule (something akin to Tiger on BNE-CBR) but that isn’t the market FlyPelican operate in. They’re a (relatively) high frequency operator in niche corporate markets, and their fares are relatively high. I’m really not sure what the end-game is here.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Boof
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Rumour until confirmed but you can lock this one in and take it to the bank, FlyPelican will begin direct NTL-ADL flights in March. Expect public announcement sometime next week.

Well played!

I'm disappointed that this wasn't an international route for NTL, but more disappointed in the clues. For the life of me I can't understand the cocktail reference.

RyanairGuru wrote:
What market are they targeting here? 3 weekly is a leisure oriented schedule (something akin to Tiger on BNE-CBR) but that isn’t the market FlyPelican operate in. They’re a (relatively) high frequency operator in niche corporate markets, and their fares are relatively high. I’m really not sure what the end-game is here.


Could this be a deal struck between Alliance and FlyPelican to fill in hours spent on the ground in ADL in between some contracted work? Timetable seems strange and I agree it's more a leisure schedule. Do Alliance have a FIFO contract using an F100 out of ADL? The flights to OLP are F50 I seem to recall.

jman wrote:
Considering that i work for JQ and have been aware of the new flight status for a few months, was just trying to educate you on the things you got wrong

No need for that, I already said I was happy to stand corrected, and politely thanked you for the discussion. Nothing more is or was needed.
Bring back Virgin Blue!
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:16 am

waoz1 wrote:
Hmm
Cocktails?
Beaches?


Epicurean?

These clues are smarter than I am....
 
PlutekPlutek
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 am

DeltaB717 wrote:
"The Newcastle-Adelaide service is ideal for business and leisure."

Tuesday: ADL0630-0910NTL0950-1130ADL
Wednesday: ADL1515-1755NTL1835-2015
Friday: ADL1630-1910NTL1950-2130ADL

Doesn't look like a very business-friendly schedule to me. Three totally different timings, two mid-week and no Monday service? This seems to have been a lot of hype for what is a fairly bland announcement. And, as waoz1 says... cocktails? Gold? How did they get that out of ADL!?


I agree - pretty useless timings for a business traveler in NTL, except maybe the returning flight ADL-NTL on the friday afternoon. That, plus the fact that its not one of the majors, which means limited FF point earning (I think only on VA, but no status), and no lounge access on either end. Unless they go daily, I don't know how long this route will last - if they can fill an F100 three times a week ? Would have been better if JQ or VA picked up the route.
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:05 am

qf2220 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
Hmm
Cocktails?
Beaches?


Epicurean?

These clues are smarter than I am....


There is an Epicurean Way in SA - up through the wineries. It was about the only clue which made sense to me.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 am

The IASC has approved Virgin Atlantic to codeshare on VA’s MEL-HKG plus all services to LAX

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... -services/
Forum Moderator
 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:05 am

It's almost like this PR stunt as backfired on NTL, looks like some awesome social media backlash.

Maybe now they really need to find an Intl route to save face.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 am

zkncj wrote:
It's almost like this PR stunt as backfired on NTL, looks like some awesome social media backlash.

Maybe now they really need to find an Intl route to save face.


Poor expectations management perhaps?

But also, cheap market research. I bet someone is counting all the mentions of PER, DPS, AKL, SIN etc...
 
zkncj
Posts: 3893
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:15 am

qf2220 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
It's almost like this PR stunt as backfired on NTL, looks like some awesome social media backlash.

Maybe now they really need to find an Intl route to save face.


Poor expectations management perhaps?



Management had too many cocktails?
 
TN486
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 am

Here I go with one of my reflective moods again. Adelaide/Newcastle. Whyalla steel works revived, (Sanjeev Gupta), An offer to purchase part of closed GMH plant in Adelaide (Sanjeev Gupta). A long shot, maybe something to it, just trying to make some sense of it all.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/s ... te/9348030
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
brucetiki
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:49 am

NTLDaz wrote:
There has been some scuttlebutt about Fly Pelican using Alliance to go to ADL. That would be a brave move for such a small carrier.

The last Newcastle based airline to try something like that was Impulse who ultimately ended up as Jetstar.


And Impulse never flew to Adelaide before they became Jetstar
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 am

Why would a Novocastrian trade Nobby's Beach for Glenelg? More worringly, do you really want to do a Barossa excursion when the Hunter wine valleys are in your backyard?
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 am

eta unknown wrote:
Why would a Novocastrian trade Nobby's Beach for Glenelg? More worringly, do you really want to do a Barossa excursion when the Hunter wine valleys are in your backyard?


Locals know that the Hunter Valley only really does Semillon to any great quality. The rest of it doesnt really cut it compared to other areas, eg reds, which the Barossa takes the cake... The HV ive been told really only exists as Sydney is right there and feeds it with visitors. If it wasn't for that the HV wine industry might be quite a bit smaller.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:50 am

Does anybody know when PR's new BNE-MNL direct service will go on sale? Also what the schedule will be? Nothing ex-BNE is currently bookable past March 24th on PR's website (for me anyway)...
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 am

qf2220 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
Why would a Novocastrian trade Nobby's Beach for Glenelg? More worringly, do you really want to do a Barossa excursion when the Hunter wine valleys are in your backyard?


Locals know that the Hunter Valley only really does Semillon to any great quality. The rest of it doesnt really cut it compared to other areas, eg reds, which the Barossa takes the cake... The HV ive been told really only exists as Sydney is right there and feeds it with visitors. If it wasn't for that the HV wine industry might be quite a bit smaller.


Yep beaches are a bit better in Newy than Adelaide.

QF2220 - not sure what your viticulture pedigree is but methinks you may be a bit harsh. The Hunter is Australia's oldest wine growing region and has some very highly rates eateries - in fact one could say an epicurean's delight.

I don't think this flight will rise or fall on Novocastrians visiting the Barossa.

If nothing else it's a gutsy move by Fly Pelican.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am

zkncj wrote:
Management had too many cocktails?

:lol:

Seriously though, what a joke - ADL as a beach and cocktails destination?!

The social media backlash about poor expectation management is hilarious.

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 am

NTLDaz wrote:
QF2220 - not sure what your viticulture pedigree is but methinks you may be a bit harsh. The Hunter is Australia's oldest wine growing region and has some very highly rates eateries - in fact one could say an epicurean's delight.


Sorry, just repeating what some guys behind the tasting desk were telling me when i was up there. Audrey Wilkinson to be precise...
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8436
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 am

As someone who is not a local I have little desire to go to the Hunter Valley for a winery (wino) break. The Barossa in particular, but also Margaret River and even Yarra Valley have so much better reputations. I admit I could be very blinkered in my thinking, but I associate the Hunter with ‘South East Australia’ Chardonnay in the $5 range. That and coal mines.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
timtam
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
zkncj wrote:
Management had too many cocktails?

:lol:

Seriously though, what a joke - ADL as a beach and cocktails destination?!

The social media backlash about poor expectation management is hilarious.

Cheers,

C.


Last time I was in Adelaide it had lots of beaches and there was no ban on serving cocktails.....

Has something changed?
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm

After all the hype I'm a bit underwhelmed that it turned out to be 3 weekly link to ADL. No disrespect for ADL I travel there every now and then and always enjoy my visits. Someone asked about the cocktail clue and the social media team replied with a link to "The Adelaide Metropolitan" not exactly what I'd call well known. Adelaide does have nice beaches, but then so does Newcastle. I wish Fly Pelican all the best and hope it's a success for them, but on the NTL Facebook page à lot of people have already started bitching about ticket prices so I have my doubts.

https://www.fritzmag.com.au/south-australian-cocktail-of-the-week-the-adelaide-metropolitan/
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:50 pm

timtam wrote:
Last time I was in Adelaide it had lots of beaches and there was no ban on serving cocktails

Yes, but ADL is no more of a beach and cocktails destination than AKL, DPS, NAN, PER or SIN for that matter.

There were far more appropriate clues to use, such as playing on ADL's nickname as the "City of Churches."

IMO, the anti-climax backfired, and created more negativity for ADL's brand than would have been the case.

vhqpa wrote:
Someone asked about the cocktail clue and the social media team replied with a link to "The Adelaide Metropolitan" not exactly what I'd call well known.

The clue was that the destination had "inspired the name of many a cocktail" - many being a plural (not singular).

The NTL team has only linked to one cocktail, not "many." SIN has the Singapore Sling, the Little Red Dot, etc.

The beach and cocktails references have overwhelmingly confused, misled and caused resentment by the public.

Cheers,

C.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
IMO, the anti-climax backfired, and created more negativity for ADL's brand than would have been the case.
. . .

The beach and cocktails references have overwhelmingly confused, misled and caused resentment by the public.

If people really think that ADL’s brand has been damaged or that the public at large are now “resentful” then it just shows that the av-bubble they live in has little connection with the real world!
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:16 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
IMO, the anti-climax backfired, and created more negativity for ADL's brand than would have been the case.
. . .

The beach and cocktails references have overwhelmingly confused, misled and caused resentment by the public.

If people really think that ADL’s brand has been damaged or that the public at large are now “resentful” then it just shows that the av-bubble they live in has little connection with the real world!


There'll be no damage to Adelaide's 'brand' and it's actually fantastic for there to be a direct link from NTL no matter how surprising that it's with Fly Pelican.

The only brand damage is to the NTL social media team who went silly to cover up what appears to be a stuff up. They've made what should've been good news seem like a bit of a letdown.

I personally wish Fly Pelican the best. 20 years ago NTL barely had a flight and has now built a nice little portfolio.
 
grjplanes
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:19 pm

Is it possible to book the short hop flights on Alliance Air between BNE to MCY?
If I arrive on an early morning flight before 05:30 (from PER perhaps)...or a departure from BNE going longhaul back to South Africa where a MCY-BNE connection can work out...it would really be much better than the extra hour + on the road to/from the family in Maroochydore (5mins from the MCY airport)
Would be nice way to log Fokker70 also
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
If people really think that ADL’s brand has been damaged or that the public at large are now “resentful” then it just shows that the av-bubble they live in has little connection with the real world!


Image

I don't know how anyone knows what "the public" thinks. A few blowhards on Facebook hardly represent the general public and Twitter is a silly mess. A Fairfax poll (yeh, I know) puts the positives at more than 80%.

Personally, I'm quite unimpressed by the shift in business model that this represents for Fly Pelican, as can be seen on the route map:

http://www.flypelican.com.au/index.html

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 4530
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Information from previous month: DZ have already acquired Chinese regulatory approval for their SZX-DRW flight and is planning to launch the route in March.
They are going to use 737-800.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate. 求同存異. よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
(≧▽≦) Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
(≧▽≦) Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1709
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm

grjplanes wrote:
Is it possible to book the short hop flights on Alliance Air between BNE to MCY?
If I arrive on an early morning flight before 05:30 (from PER perhaps)...or a departure from BNE going longhaul back to South Africa where a MCY-BNE connection can work out...it would really be much better than the extra hour + on the road to/from the family in Maroochydore (5mins from the MCY airport)
Would be nice way to log Fokker70 also


I'm afraid there hasn't been a RPT link between BNE and MCY for over 10 years. I believe Alliance does having mining charters that operate BNE-MCY-EMD but these are closed charters not available to be public. Your only option if you want to avoid driving up the coast is flying to MCY through SYD or MEL.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Major disruptions on the QF international NRT sectors due to snow. The QF62 & QF80 nightstopped conseq. with today’s QF29 cancelled to free up 1 x A333 to op the QF97. Last night QF9 went tech and no revised ETD.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:36 pm

mariner wrote:
Personally, I'm quite unimpressed by the shift in business model that this represents for Fly Pelican, as can be seen on the route map:
http://www.flypelican.com.au/index.html
mariner


To me this is also strange. It is branded by FP, but flown by QQ. Is it making use of QQ metal, is QQ really the carrier flying under FP branding? If so, why didnt QQ get its RPT side of the business up and running to run the flight (and potentially others). Maybe in time it will?
 
A350OZ
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 am

qf2220 wrote:
mariner wrote:
Personally, I'm quite unimpressed by the shift in business model that this represents for Fly Pelican, as can be seen on the route map:
http://www.flypelican.com.au/index.html
mariner


To me this is also strange. It is branded by FP, but flown by QQ. Is it making use of QQ metal, is QQ really the carrier flying under FP branding? If so, why didnt QQ get its RPT side of the business up and running to run the flight (and potentially others). Maybe in time it will?


Because they did not want to take the commercial risk, I guess. I imagine Fly Pelican as a NTL local airline sees a lot of upside in this venture if it goes well, also probably has a good reach with existing customers. That doesn't apply to QQ (at least on the NTL end).
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 am

A350OZ wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
mariner wrote:
Personally, I'm quite unimpressed by the shift in business model that this represents for Fly Pelican, as can be seen on the route map:
http://www.flypelican.com.au/index.html
mariner


To me this is also strange. It is branded by FP, but flown by QQ. Is it making use of QQ metal, is QQ really the carrier flying under FP branding? If so, why didnt QQ get its RPT side of the business up and running to run the flight (and potentially others). Maybe in time it will?


Because they did not want to take the commercial risk, I guess. I imagine Fly Pelican as a NTL local airline sees a lot of upside in this venture if it goes well, also probably has a good reach with existing customers. That doesn't apply to QQ (at least on the NTL end).


Yeah fair point.
 
brucetiki
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 am

vhqpa wrote:
After all the hype I'm a bit underwhelmed that it turned out to be 3 weekly link to ADL. No disrespect for ADL I travel there every now and then and always enjoy my visits. Someone asked about the cocktail clue and the social media team replied with a link to "The Adelaide Metropolitan" not exactly what I'd call well known. Adelaide does have nice beaches, but then so does Newcastle. I wish Fly Pelican all the best and hope it's a success for them, but on the NTL Facebook page à lot of people have already started bitching about ticket prices so I have my doubts.

https://www.fritzmag.com.au/south-australian-cocktail-of-the-week-the-adelaide-metropolitan/


$250 each way is quite steep - it'd be much cheaper to fly to SYD and get the train to Newcastle (even with the access charges at SYD).

Interestingly I noted a train fare from Newcastle to Central is much, much cheaper than a train fare from SYD Domestic to Central!
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video
 
oskarclare
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Does anybody know when PR's new BNE-MNL direct service will go on sale? Also what the schedule will be? Nothing ex-BNE is currently bookable past March 24th on PR's website (for me anyway)...


I can still go an book MNL-DRW-BNE past 24 MAR 18. However I think we can soon expect an updated schedule regarding the non-stop flights if they are going to happen in March.
 
oskarclare
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 am

According to blue swan daily, Jetstar will suspend Melbourne-Zhengzhou from the end of march as agents aren't supporting it. Ho Chi Minh is also being reduced from 3 to 2 weekly during February and Bangkok is being reduced from 4 to 3/2 weekly during this time frame. Singapore is also getting reduced from 4 to 2 weekly. This is all to allow JQ to increase MEL-DPS to 14 weekly. Ho Chi Minh and Bangkok will be re-increased back to there original frequencies once the 787 from Zhengzhou becomes freed up.

This sounds exactly like what happened with Gold Coast-Wuhan as agents didn't support it enough.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:28 am

Qantas next 789 VH-ZNC will be moved to Boeing Everett Delivery Center at 600 local time (1am AEST tomorrow), should arrive in Australia sometime late tomorrow

Image

https://twitter.com/mattcawby/status/955680503750787072
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
mariner
Posts: 19473
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2001 7:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 am

A350OZ wrote:
Because they did not want to take the commercial risk, I guess. I imagine Fly Pelican as a NTL local airline sees a lot of upside in this venture if it goes well, also probably has a good reach with existing customers. That doesn't apply to QQ (at least on the NTL end).


I'm sure, but I think the way they're doing it has commercial risk. Maybe if they can sell NTL as a beach destination or as "a gateway to the beaches" of the central coast they'll pick up good tourist traffic, but I can't think that there will be a lot of business pax.

Hey, I've been wrong before and I wish 'em well. It isn't the first break-out route I would have tried, though.

mariner
aeternum nauta
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 am

brucetiki wrote:
vhqpa wrote:
After all the hype I'm a bit underwhelmed that it turned out to be 3 weekly link to ADL. No disrespect for ADL I travel there every now and then and always enjoy my visits. Someone asked about the cocktail clue and the social media team replied with a link to "The Adelaide Metropolitan" not exactly what I'd call well known. Adelaide does have nice beaches, but then so does Newcastle. I wish Fly Pelican all the best and hope it's a success for them, but on the NTL Facebook page à lot of people have already started bitching about ticket prices so I have my doubts.

https://www.fritzmag.com.au/south-australian-cocktail-of-the-week-the-adelaide-metropolitan/


$250 each way is quite steep - it'd be much cheaper to fly to SYD and get the train to Newcastle (even with the access charges at SYD).

Interestingly I noted a train fare from Newcastle to Central is much, much cheaper than a train fare from SYD Domestic to Central!


It's about $80 - 90 more than a flight from Sydney ( checked dates around the start of service ). Yes it is cheaper even including the train fare. However the train from Sydney to Newcastle will take 2 1/2 hours and then you've got to lug your bags across to the suburban platforms and then train to the airport.

I guess the question is how much is your time and convenience worth.

As for the cheaper train fares that's because in NSW ( Sydney Trains ) there is a maximum fare. Once that's reached it doesn't matter how far the trip. For example you can travel from Scone to Goulburn ( over 500kms ) for about 8 bucks.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:19 am

ATSB releases preliminary report into VA ATR hard landing incident at CBR on 19 November last year

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2017-111/

Picture of damage sustained to aircraft

Image

https://twitter.com/AviationSafety/stat ... 4502287360
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:26 am

Is FlyPelican really going to do the NTL-ADL flight on a J32??
✈︎
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 am

Goodbye wrote:
Is FlyPelican really going to do the NTL-ADL flight on a J32??


No Alliance will operate the route on behalf of FlyPelican using the F70/100
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2018

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 am

EK413 wrote:
Major disruptions on the QF international NRT sectors due to snow. The QF62 & QF80 nightstopped conseq. with today’s QF29 cancelled to free up 1 x A333 to op the QF97. Last night QF9 went tech and no revised ETD.

EK413


Both QF62 and QF80 have departed NRT, QPG operating QF62 and QPI operating QF80
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos