Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
fessor
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 am

Cph was in march back on track growing 4,5%

https://www.cph.dk/en/about-cph/press/n ... r-weather/
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:04 am

HEL March 2018

Domestic: 322.015 (+8.4%)
International: 1.376.813 (+14.8%)
Total: 1.698.828 (+13.5%)

Q1:

Domestic: 889.426 (+9.5%)
International: 3.784.275 (+13.0%)
Total: 4.673.701 (+12.3%)
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am

HEL Intercontinental traffic in Q1

Total: 846,157 (+31.4%)

Thailand: 157,778 (+16.1%)
Japan: 140,321 (+14.6%)
China: 102,263 (+22.0%)
Hong Kong: 68,272 (+45.7%)
Qatar: 63,041 (+183.0%)
UAE: 56,384 (+8,9%)
Singapore: 53,591 (+65.6%)
USA: 53,359 (0.0)
India: 50,442 (+65.8%)
South Korea: 49,703 (+7.5%)

Those numbers look really good. Traffic between U.S and Finland hasn't really increased from last year, but happily it will surely grow later this year as AY adds flights to Chicago and San Francisco. Also, the decrease has slowed down monthly.
 
YIMBY
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:26 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
HEL Intercontinental traffic in Q1

Total: 846,157 (+31.4%)

Thailand: 157,778 (+16.1%)
Japan: 140,321 (+14.6%)
China: 102,263 (+22.0%)
Hong Kong: 68,272 (+45.7%)
Qatar: 63,041 (+183.0%)
UAE: 56,384 (+8,9%)
Singapore: 53,591 (+65.6%)
USA: 53,359 (0.0)
India: 50,442 (+65.8%)
South Korea: 49,703 (+7.5%)

Those numbers look really good. Traffic between U.S and Finland hasn't really increased from last year, but happily it will surely grow later this year as AY adds flights to Chicago and San Francisco. Also, the decrease has slowed down monthly.


How come USA is so low? Is it due to Trump or are Finns mostly using other European hubs?
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:55 pm

YIMBY wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
HEL Intercontinental traffic in Q1

USA: 53,359 (0.0)

How come USA is so low? Is it due to Trump or are Finns mostly using other European hubs?


As far as I know the capacity from HEL to the US (JFK and MIA) remained more or less unchanged during the reference period.

AY for its part prefers to funnel passengers through LHR to the US as part of their JV with BA and AA (and IB).
 
Bostrom
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 pm

YIMBY wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
HEL Intercontinental traffic in Q1

Total: 846,157 (+31.4%)

Thailand: 157,778 (+16.1%)
Japan: 140,321 (+14.6%)
China: 102,263 (+22.0%)
Hong Kong: 68,272 (+45.7%)
Qatar: 63,041 (+183.0%)
UAE: 56,384 (+8,9%)
Singapore: 53,591 (+65.6%)
USA: 53,359 (0.0)
India: 50,442 (+65.8%)
South Korea: 49,703 (+7.5%)

Those numbers look really good. Traffic between U.S and Finland hasn't really increased from last year, but happily it will surely grow later this year as AY adds flights to Chicago and San Francisco. Also, the decrease has slowed down monthly.


How come USA is so low? Is it due to Trump or are Finns mostly using other European hubs?


Geography is my guess, connecting in HEL is great for Europe-East Asia, but not so good for USA-Europe.
 
User avatar
teme82
Posts: 1356
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:38 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:55 am

Bostrom wrote:
Geography is my guess, connecting in HEL is great for Europe-East Asia, but not so good for USA-Europe.

HEL is well located to connect India-US pax but AY has little presence in India.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:54 am

teme82 wrote:
Bostrom wrote:
Geography is my guess, connecting in HEL is great for Europe-East Asia, but not so good for USA-Europe.

HEL is well located to connect India-US pax but AY has little presence in India.

Indeed. As far as I remember, AY was in talks with AA and Kingfisher Airlines back in 2011 or 2012 to increase passenger numbers between India and US via HEL. Also, AY was interested in returning to Mumbai and launching flights to Chennai and Bangalore. I hope Finnair will at least return to Mumbai in the near future.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
teme82 wrote:
Bostrom wrote:
Geography is my guess, connecting in HEL is great for Europe-East Asia, but not so good for USA-Europe.

HEL is well located to connect India-US pax but AY has little presence in India.

Indeed. As far as I remember, AY was in talks with AA and Kingfisher Airlines back in 2011 or 2012 to increase passenger numbers between India and US via HEL. Also, AY was interested in returning to Mumbai and launching flights to Chennai and Bangalore. I hope Finnair will at least return to Mumbai in the near future.

Finnair advertising that from Arn to sto the shortest connection is via HEL. So they could use this case to all west coast of US from North Europe /baltics/ nw Russia. I guess they are checking the GC routes all the time
 
Tristarsteve
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm

Finnair advertising that from Arn to sto the shortest connection is via HEL.


The quickest connection is on the train! From ARN to STO the train runs every 15mins :D
 
Kikko19
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
Finnair advertising that from Arn to sto the shortest connection is via HEL.


The quickest connection is on the train! From ARN to STO the train runs every 15mins :D
damn autocorrect! I meant SFO ;)
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:20 am

Fagernes airport in Norway has in the last few years been (at least when it comes to commercial airlines carrying paying passengers) been focussed very heavily on the winter ski season. Following Air Berlin's closure, the only regular route has been a once-weekly flight with TUI bringing people from London Gatwick for a week's skiing. According to Avinor and CAA statistics, this 1x weekly ski flight seems to be the only regular source of passengers in 2017. While Norway seem quite happy to use the profits from big airports like Oslo to subsidisie the minor airports in the north of the country, there has also been a push to try to prevent the subsidy amount getting too large - Skien and the city airport in Narvik have both closed in recent years. Fagernes is a small town in a rural area - the route to Oslo Gardemoen closed over 2 years ago.

The TUI flight is sold pretty much entirely (completely ?) via TUI's ski holiday arm, Crystal Ski Holidays. I notice that while Crystal Ski are selling holiday packages to lots of places for winter 2018/2019, their website shows *nothing* for resorts anywhere near Fagernes.

I might be putting 2 + 2 = 5, but are we perhaps seeing signs that Fagernes might end up closing or being substantially reduced in scope before the end of 2018 to cut Norway's airport subsidy bill ?
 
Someone83
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:17 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I might be putting 2 + 2 = 5, but are we perhaps seeing signs that Fagernes might end up closing or being substantially reduced in scope before the end of 2018 to cut Norway's airport subsidy bill ?


Unless the local authorities and businesses wants to pay for it, it will probably be closed. Avinor, the Norwegian Airport Authority, has started to phase out the subsidies for Fagernes. Although this year they used the airport to conduct tests with remote controlled snow cleaners.

Also, Fagernes is only a 2,5 hours drive away from OSL
 
TUGMASTER
Posts: 1434
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:56 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:29 am

Flew OSLO-FARGENES on the Air Norway Metro a couple of years ago..... I was the only person onboard... fantastic flight.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 am

Someone83 - are there any other airports in Norway for which Avinor (or any other organisation) is trying to reduce the subsidy in a significant way or might be facing the possibility of closure ?
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Flights between MMX and HEL start tomorrow on Monday the 16th.

Any bets how long this will last? VST (Västerås) survived only around half a year.

I’m just going to guess that they will cancel in time for the winter.
 
Blerg
Posts: 5100
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Nami wrote:
Flights between MMX and HEL start tomorrow on Monday the 16th.

Any bets how long this will last? VST (Västerås) survived only around half a year.

I’m just going to guess that they will cancel in time for the winter.


Is Finnair operating these flights?
 
Blerg
Posts: 5100
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:13 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Nami wrote:
Flights between MMX and HEL start tomorrow on Monday the 16th.

Any bets how long this will last? VST (Västerås) survived only around half a year.

I’m just going to guess that they will cancel in time for the winter.


Is Finnair operating these flights?

It's Braathens Regional Airlines, but I think the flight code is AY.


I do wonder what their rationale was. Aren't they afraid that it might cannibalize their CPH operations?
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Blerg wrote:
Nami wrote:
Flights between MMX and HEL start tomorrow on Monday the 16th.

Any bets how long this will last? VST (Västerås) survived only around half a year.

I’m just going to guess that they will cancel in time for the winter.


Is Finnair operating these flights?

It's Braathens Regional Airlines, but I think the flight code is AY.
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
I do wonder what their rationale was. Aren't they afraid that it might cannibalize their CPH operations?


I remember reading elsewhere that perhaps the route was actually the initiative of BRA instead of Finnair, which might actually be true when comparing the pricing difference between TF and AY for the route and from CPH.
 
Someone83
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Someone83 - are there any other airports in Norway for which Avinor (or any other organisation) is trying to reduce the subsidy in a significant way or might be facing the possibility of closure ?


Not specific, but one effort is the work on using remote towers on many of the small airport.

There is also a process looking at the airport structure, both at Lofoten and Helgeland. Although that is many years away, even at Helgeland, which is probably the one nmost likely to happen. Here they plan to built a larger common airport replacing Sandnesjøen, Mosjøen and Mo i Rana. And think for Lofoten they want to replace Leknes, Svolvær and Stokmarknes with one single airport
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Finnair extends Alaska Airlines partnership with new codeshare routes. As of 20 May 2018, AY code will be added to flights operated by Alaska Airlines between San Francisco and Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County and Palm Springs.

http://news.cision.com
 
Kikko19
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Nami wrote:
Blerg wrote:
I do wonder what their rationale was. Aren't they afraid that it might cannibalize their CPH operations?


I remember reading elsewhere that perhaps the route was actually the initiative of BRA instead of Finnair, which might actually be true when comparing the pricing difference between TF and AY for the route and from CPH.

Sk itself has several departures from mmx to arn and they don't cannibalise the route to cph.
 
kameleonten
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:58 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
Sk itself has several departures from mmx to arn and they don't cannibalise the route to cph.


There is a big difference. As Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, much of the traffic on the MMX-ARN and MMX-BMA routes comes from other parts of Skåne/Scania, e.g. Österlen, Hässleholm, Ystad, Lund, Kristianstad from where the traffic to Helsinki, other parts of Finland and Asia is presumably more limited than from Malmö proper (where many of the big companies are), which has at least as good (probably better) links to Copenhagen Airport than to its own, with both airports being equidistant to the city.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

kameleonten wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
Sk itself has several departures from mmx to arn and they don't cannibalise the route to cph.


There is a big difference. As Stockholm is the capital of Sweden, much of the traffic on the MMX-ARN and MMX-BMA routes comes from other parts of Skåne/Scania, e.g. Österlen, Hässleholm, Ystad, Lund, Kristianstad from where the traffic to Helsinki, other parts of Finland and Asia is presumably more limited than from Malmö proper (where many of the big companies are), which has at least as good (probably better) links to Copenhagen Airport than to its own, with both airports being equidistant to the city.

I didn't mean 10 frequency per day as SK, 2/3 per day would do to feed asia and East Europe.
 
SK4007
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 pm

In a locked article on check-in.dk it is reported that SAS has to cancel some flights operated by CitiJet in the period between 16-21st of April. SAS will not give information as to which flights are effected, nor how many. Three 737s from JetTime have been wet-leased during the same period to cover some of the cancellations.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Statistics for the new HEL-SFO service last year:
Load factor: 92.8%
PAX: 24,269

The load factor is very impressive! I hope AY will increase flights in 2019.

Sources:
For PAX: data.sfgov.org
For LF: airliners.net (Please, note that the source is another a.net user: SonaSounds / post #22)
 
ilari
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:26 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am

AY will start TLL-KTT flights, Fridays between Dec 14 and Mar 29. This route will be the first between Estonia and Lapland.
 
sas767
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 1999 4:08 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Air India will increase the route to CPH from 3x to 4x Weekly with effect from 11MAY:

https://twitter.com/cphtraveller/status ... twterm%5E0
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:35 pm

The Swedish Transport Agency in its spring forecast lowered the estimates for air travel, expecting the recently established aviation tax to lead to fewer flights.

The amount of departing passengers from Swedish airports is expected to grow 2.6% in 2018. Last autumn, when the introduction of the tax was still uncertain, they predicted 5%.

A longer prognosis, which extends until 2024, forecasts annual average growth of 3 percent, which amounts to about 28.7 million departing passengers in 2024 (2017: 23.4 million).

https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/sv/Ny ... flygresor/
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:47 pm

FlyDubai is starting daily Dubai (DXB) - Helsinki (HEL) flights on 11 October 2018 with Boeing 737 MAX 8! EK will be codesharing on this route.

news.flydubai.com
 
Someone83
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
FlyDubai is starting daily Dubai (DXB) - Helsinki (HEL) flights on 11 October 2018 with Boeing 737 MAX 8! EK will be codesharing on this route.

news.flydubai.com


That raises the question if other Nordic cities like GOT, BGO etc could be candidates flydubai, where EK’s 777s are too big and the 737-MAX 8 has enough range for a decent payload from DXB
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Someone83 wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
FlyDubai is starting daily Dubai (DXB) - Helsinki (HEL) flights on 11 October 2018 with Boeing 737 MAX 8! EK will be codesharing on this route.

news.flydubai.com


That raises the question if other Nordic cities like GOT, BGO etc could be candidates flydubai, where EK’s 777s are too big and the 737-MAX 8 has enough range for a decent payload from DXB

I think GOT is possible. Hopefully, this new service doesn't harm the possibility of EK launching flights to HEL, but unfortunately that won't happen any time soon.
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:59 pm

FlyDubai was already expected in HEL, great news! Their 737 MAX provides 11.6/15.6 inch touchscreens and flat beds in J, sounds good comparing what Finnair and Norwegian have to offer on HEL-DXB.
 
DLBOIFIN
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:51 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
QuawerAir wrote:
FlyDubai is starting daily Dubai (DXB) - Helsinki (HEL) flights on 11 October 2018 with Boeing 737 MAX 8! EK will be codesharing on this route.

news.flydubai.com


That raises the question if other Nordic cities like GOT, BGO etc could be candidates flydubai, where EK’s 777s are too big and the 737-MAX 8 has enough range for a decent payload from DXB

I think GOT is possible. Hopefully, this new service doesn't harm the possibility of EK launching flights to HEL, but unfortunately that won't happen any time soon.

I guess with this route launch, you can kiss goodbye any dreams for EK starting flights to HEL...won't happen. The only possibility that I see is that if this route proves to be financial success for FlyDubai, EK might take over the route, otherwise, no dice.
 
armchairceonr1
Posts: 293
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:36 pm

DLBOIFIN wrote:
I guess with this route launch, you can kiss goodbye any dreams for EK starting flights to HEL...won't happen. The only possibility that I see is that if this route proves to be financial success for FlyDubai, EK might take over the route, otherwise, no dice.

I think very much opposite, now there is some chance to see EK at HEL someday. They would never open this route with 777.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:49 pm

armchairceonr1 wrote:
DLBOIFIN wrote:
I guess with this route launch, you can kiss goodbye any dreams for EK starting flights to HEL...won't happen. The only possibility that I see is that if this route proves to be financial success for FlyDubai, EK might take over the route, otherwise, no dice.

I think very much opposite, now there is some chance to see EK at HEL someday. They would never open this route with 777.

I agree. HEL is one of those "missing" destinations in Emirates' network and I've thought that HEL will be in EK's network pretty soon (let's say within next five years). As you said, EK would never open this route with a large wide-body aircraft such as 777, so this could be a foray for Emirates. And of course, if EK and FZ will merge in the future.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 727
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:40 pm

How many 737 is Fz taking? Many see them coming to Rix, tll, vno and many smaller airports in Europe, forEK like Qr and Tk are doing with own metal. They will erode the yield further of the local legacy airlines.
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Nami wrote:
Flights between MMX and HEL start tomorrow on Monday the 16th.

Any bets how long this will last? VST (Västerås) survived only around half a year.

I’m just going to guess that they will cancel in time for the winter.


From Flyertalk:

"Flew MMX-HEL last week on its second day of operations. A total of six passengers onboard."

I feel that perhaps my estimation was a bit too optimistic...
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:15 am

First profitable comparable operating result in Q1 for AY in ten years:

Strong growth continued – Comparable operating result has improved for 14 consecutive quarters and totalled 3.9 million euros in Q1

January–March 2018

    Revenue increased by 14.6% to 635.3 million euros (554.4)*.
    Available seat kilometres (ASK) grew by 18.9%.
    Passenger load factor (PLF) increased by 1.5 points to 82.9%.
    Comparable operating result was 3.9 million euros (-9.0). Operating result was 6.0 million euros (-10.0).
    Net cash flow from operating activities was 78.0 million euros (23.9), and net cash flow from investing activities was -53.9 million euros (145.1).**
    Unit revenue (RASK) decreased by 3.6%. Unit revenue at constant currency decreased by 1.7%.
    Unit cost (CASK) decreased by 5.8%, and unit cost at constant currency excluding fuel decreased by 4.5%.
    Earnings per share were -0.01 euros (-0.09).


Finnair Group Interim Report 1 January–31 March 2018
 
YIMBY
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:22 am

The above report:

Finnair plans on increasing its capacity by more than 15 per cent in 2018, with most of this growth coming in the first half of the year.


What? How? Which hardware?

I did not hear that they received any aircraft this year yet. Not that many months remaining from the first half of the year.
I thought their next A350's will be delivered later and nothing else has been ordered, except a couple of lease contracts, mostly wet.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:35 am

YIMBY wrote:
The above report:

Finnair plans on increasing its capacity by more than 15 per cent in 2018, with most of this growth coming in the first half of the year.


What? How? Which hardware?

I did not hear that they received any aircraft this year yet. Not that many months remaining from the first half of the year.
I thought their next A350's will be delivered later and nothing else has been ordered, except a couple of lease contracts, mostly wet.

At the moment they have more aircraft compared to the same period last year: 3 A350s and 7 A321s more. In Q2 this year they will still have 1-2 A350s more and 5-6 A321s more than in Q2 last year. Most of those aircraft were delivered in the 2nd half of 2017 so that's why the capacity will increase so much, mostly in 1H of 2018.
 
YIMBY
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:43 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
YIMBY wrote:
The above report:

Finnair plans on increasing its capacity by more than 15 per cent in 2018, with most of this growth coming in the first half of the year.


What? How? Which hardware?

I did not hear that they received any aircraft this year yet. Not that many months remaining from the first half of the year.
I thought their next A350's will be delivered later and nothing else has been ordered, except a couple of lease contracts, mostly wet.

At the moment they have more aircraft compared to the same period last year: 3 A350s and 7 A321s more. In Q2 this year they will still have 1-2 A350s more and 5-6 A321s more than in Q2 last year. Most of those aircraft were delivered in the 2nd half of 2017 so that's why the capacity will increase so much, mostly in 1H of 2018.


I definitely interpret that statement so that they plan to increase the capacity more than 15 per cent during the year 2018, i.e. from 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2018, and not compared with the same time last year. Hence I expect at least 8 % increase by end of June, from what it was 1 January 2018 that is equal to today.

Do they have underutilized capacity from last year that might explain this? Or are they planning to lease from China? Or take some from liquidation of bankrupt airlines?
8 % of 60 planes is e.g. 2 widebodies and 3 narrowbodies or ca 7 narrowbodies and more than 15 % is likely more than 10 aircraft.

The delivery of their last A350 was 22 September 2017. The next A350 is scheduled for Q4 2018, isn't it?
 
Someone83
Posts: 5421
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:02 pm

The growth is coming from all the aircraft delivered in the second half of 2017. It is clearly seen on the traffic number in Q1 2018, when the new capacity has full effect
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:10 pm

- AY plans to refurbish their A330s during 2020-2022
- A35K ship has more or less sailed, especially now with accelerated deliveries
- Decision on narrowbody fleet renewal in 2019

http://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/finnai ... kti_etenee
 
YIMBY
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Someone83 wrote:
The growth is coming from all the aircraft delivered in the second half of 2017. It is clearly seen on the traffic number in Q1 2018, when the new capacity has full effect


According to Finnair's homepage, https://www.finnair.com/gb/gb/flights/fleet, the only aircraft delivered in 2H 2017 was OH-LWL (A350) and nothing in 4Q 2017, neither 2018. Other web sites (like wikipedia) quote different numbers, but PLC's are required by law to give accurate, up-to-date information to everybody. Maybe complicated lease agreements or subsidiaries that they do not have to show?

Anyway, "plan" refers to future, not past actions, but does not require certainty, so they do not have to keep it.

I saw that they have previously announced to receive one leased 321 from CDB Aviation Lease Finance for Summer 2018 (and one for winter 2017/2018) and a couple of short-term wet leases for the spring/summer 2018.
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm

Nami wrote:
- AY plans to refurbish their A330s during 2020-2022


Their 330 cabins truly need a face lift, pity it takes so long.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:34 am

Nami wrote:
- AY plans to refurbish their A330s during 2020-2022
- A35K ship has more or less sailed, especially now with accelerated deliveries
- Decision on narrowbody fleet renewal in 2019

http://www.lentoposti.fi/uutiset/finnai ... kti_etenee

I wonder if A330s will have similar interior and seats as in A350s or is it going to be different. Likely there's going to be no A35Ks in next 8 A350s to be delivered, but might be included in the next order that Finnair will pretty surely make. And I think we all know that the narrowbody fleet will be renewed with Airbus A320neo-family, but the question is: how many aircraft will AY order and will the order include A321neoLR? They have 24 older A320-family aircraft so the order should be size of around 30 aircraft or even more to support their growth. Order of 30-40 aircraft would sound nice.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 1060
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:47 am

Apparently, BA28 (HKG-LHR) Boeing 777-300ER was diverted to HEL. Flightradar24 shows the flight is now landing at LHR and departed from HEL 3 hrs ago.

Flightaware
 
Nami
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:20 am

Unless Google Translate is horribly wrong, SAS is hoping to find slots and move CPH-NRT route to HND in 2020, and ponders the possibility of opening ARN-NRT.

CPH-HND would be with A350 and ARN-NRT with A330.

https://finalcall.travel/no/planlegger- ... yo-haneda/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos