• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 20
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 1981
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I believe this is the first 737-8 for Icelandair. She looks great!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Icelanda ... /4863141/L
 
User avatar
Peeter
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 am

JetBuddy wrote:
I believe this is the first 737-8 for Icelandair. She looks great!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Icelanda ... /4863141/L


No, she looks cheap!
 
User avatar
Peeter
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 am

In the English-language Wikipedia article about Jan Carlzon, CEO of SAS Group 1981-1994, this passage caught my attention.

Carlzon also oversaw a complete corporate identity re-design, a process which was marred when a journalist gained unlawful access to a hangar with a plane painted in a proposed livery was photographed and widely published in Scandinavian newspapers. Unfortunately, either the brief to the agency, Landor Associates, was not good enough or they had misunderstood it and painted the plane with 5 crowns to symbolize the 5 Nordic countries. This caused a huge public furore as SAS only contains the airlines of the three monarchies Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Incidentally, the other two Nordic countries Finland and Iceland are both republics and would therefore not be represented by crowns. The task of re-developing the corporate identity was later given to another firm.

No source is given. Does anyone have any further information about this or has anyone come across the abovementioned pictures published in Scandinavian media?
 
okay
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:11 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:11 am

Peeter wrote:
In the English-language Wikipedia article about Jan Carlzon, CEO of SAS Group 1981-1994, this passage caught my attention.

Carlzon also oversaw a complete corporate identity re-design, a process which was marred when a journalist gained unlawful access to a hangar with a plane painted in a proposed livery was photographed and widely published in Scandinavian newspapers. Unfortunately, either the brief to the agency, Landor Associates, was not good enough or they had misunderstood it and painted the plane with 5 crowns to symbolize the 5 Nordic countries. This caused a huge public furore as SAS only contains the airlines of the three monarchies Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Incidentally, the other two Nordic countries Finland and Iceland are both republics and would therefore not be represented by crowns. The task of re-developing the corporate identity was later given to another firm.

No source is given. Does anyone have any further information about this or has anyone come across the abovementioned pictures published in Scandinavian media?

I have read about this. Not sure how true it is. But true or not, thankfully this livery never came to be. I for one would not have wanted to see the Finnish Coat of Arms on a side of a foreign airline. I wonder if this alleged picture still exists?
 
User avatar
HELyes
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 am

Got curious how the " Royal Finnish Crown" looked like on SAS aircraft ;) Actually they were not totally lost, the replica of the royal crown does exist in Finland this day. After becoming independent Finland had a king chosen in 1918, the Prince of Hessen from Germany. But the history took another turn.
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:03 pm

There was an interview with Norwegian’s CCO Thomas Ramdahl in the Finnish business magazine Talouselämä. No big revelations, these were pretty much the main points:

  • the airline is “in much better shape” in 2018 than last year
  • next round of discussions regarding Scandinavian countries and Siberian corridor will be held next summer
  • Swedish aviation tax may increase DY’s average fares by 25-30%
  • he ”dares to say” that they will bring long-haul flights to HEL within the next two years
  • over 100,000 Finns have travelled with Norwegian to the US, mostly via LGW and ARN
  • he had a solemn face when talking about how many aircraft they are receiving this year :smile:

On the subject of long-haul flying:

Ramdahl believes in long-haul flights: "This company would not be in the current situation without risk taking and believing that we are doing the right things. Risk assessments must simply be done correctly on the routes and react quickly if the situation changes."
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1383
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:17 pm

FI is expanding their Florida flying in W16, KEF-MCO is up to daily from 5x weekly and KEF-TPA is up to 4x weekly from 2x weekly.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Apparently Lucky Air is still trying to commence flights to HEL. According to Yle (in Finnish), the launch of KMG-CTU-HEL service is only "delayed". Also another news (Yle, in Finnish) says Lucky Air will launch flights soon. Hopefully this will finally happen, but this time I do not believe before I see it. I have more trust for Bejing Capital Airlines, since the airline announced flights to Lisbon, Madrid and London and they really happened.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Someone83
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am

Norwegian's OSL-base (and thus the Norwegian part of Norwegian - DY) will get their first 737-max8 in August

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2018/

Oslo – Athens eff 16AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Barcelona eff 10AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Bergen eff 14AUG18 4 weekly
Oslo – Billund eff 19AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Bordeaux 19AUG18 – 14OCT18 1 weekly
Oslo – Budapest eff 14AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Copenhagen eff 11AUG18 4 weekly
Oslo – Dublin eff 12AUG18 5 weekly
Oslo – London Gatwick eff 11AUG18 4 weekly
Oslo – Malaga eff 15AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Nice eff 10AUG18 6 weekly
Oslo – Paris CDG eff 17AUG18 1 weekly
Oslo – Prague eff 13AUG18 3 weekly
Oslo – Stockholm Arlanda eff 13AUG18 2 weekly
Oslo – Trondheim 21OCT18
Oslo – Warsaw eff 15AUG18 1 weekly


Although the usage will be rather random and spread out, operating a few weekly flights on several routes
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Not sure if already mentioned, but Aegean extends 2x weekly summer seasonal HEL-ATH flights from October to January 2019, and adds an additional frequency for October to 3x weekly.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 am

TUI Nordic 737 MAX 8 S18 operations

TUI Nordic in recent schedule listing filed Boeing 737 MAX 8 operations for summer 2018 season, between 25MAR18 and 27OCT18. Planned 737 MAX 8 network as follows.

Helsinki – Alghero 09MAY18 – 03OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Bourgas 21MAY18 – 10SEP18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Catania 24APR18 – 02OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Chania 19APR18 – 13OCT18 2 weekly
Helsinki – Corfu 13MAY18 – 30SEP18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Gran Canaria/Las Palmas 3 weekly (Except 15APR18 – 16OCT18)
Helsinki – Kos 11MAY18 – 12OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Lanzarote 2 weekly
Helsinki – Larnaca 23APR18 – 15OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Mahon 17MAY18 – 04OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Palma Mallorca 28APR18 – 06OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Rhodes 22APR18 – 14OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Samos 01MAY18 – 02OCT18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Split 04MAY18 – 28SEP18 1 weekly
Helsinki – Tenerife South 2 weekly (Except 18APR18 – 15OCT18)
Helsinki – Zakynthos 16MAY18 – 03OCT18 1 weekly
Visby – Catania 09OCT18 (Return 17OCT18)


Routesonline
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Someone83
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm

Widerøe is increasing TRF-CPH from 2x daily to 3x daily from August 13, after having graduallly cut back from up to 5x daily. All flights with Q400

In addition from August 13, about 75% of the flight TRF-TRD will be with E190-E2
 
Kikko19
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:48 pm

ryanair planning to open TLL base according to estonian national broadcasting company (in estonian) https://www.err.ee/686457/ryanair-avab- ... -uut-liini, likely trying to tap on finnish market (lot of ferry traffic with Helsinki and some plans to build a railway tunnel in the future)?
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm

The whole tunnel thing is just a pipe dream. The official initiative is estimating the tunnel being ready by 2040, while Peter Vesterbacka (the man behind Angry Birds) has his own project and claims that they will build the tunnel with Chinese money and have it ready by the end of 2024 (no one takes him seriously).

That being said, I can't really see many if any Finns using TLL for their travels without a tunnel.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:28 pm

I also believe that the tunnel is anti-economical..even when the railbaltica will be ready . Their money. their problems. Still finns won't allow FR on Ay turf so the only option is to get to TLL.
 
Blerg
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Nordica and airBaltic have been expanding in TLL. It's not as if the airport lacks air links. Also, I know there are ferries between Helsinki and Tallinn but would people really cross it just to catch a FR flight? Seems like it's too much hassle just to save around €30 (doubt it would be more) which isn't much for the Finnish standard of living, especially since a 0.3 glass of Karhu costs like €6.

To me a TLL base would prove risky if it's primary purpose is to attract Finnish customers.
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 am

Further plans include adding a third daily frequency between Moscow and Helsinki in April. With joint flights with Aeroflot factored in, the number of daily operations between Moscow and Helsinki will reach six in the summer.

Finnair reported a 29.3% traffic surge on its Russian routes last year, following a 19% increase in capacity. The growth rate was the highest in the fourth quarter, reaching 34% year-on-year.

The list of Finnair’s destinations most favored by the Russian travelers in 2017 includes Alicante, Paris, Prague, Stockholm, Milan, and Munich. Finland as the final destination also proved quite popular with Russian passengers: mostly Helsinki and several destinations in Lapland, such as Rovaniemi. Connection flights to the US (New York, Chicago, Miami, and San Francisco) are among the most popular long-haul destinations, as are the Asian cities of Bangkok, Singapore, and Tokyo. Finnair’s new service to Havana, introduced this winter, was also well received.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/finnair-a ... ts-russia/


Unsurprisingly HAV has been popular among AY’s Russian passengers. However it would have been nice to see S7 return instead of additional SU/AY frequencies. Last time they didn’t quite get the timing right (spring 2014).
 
Someone83
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am

Norwegian is starting 2x weekly CPH-AMM from May 8. In direct competition with Royal Jordanian that also start this route soon

In Danish:
https://media.norwegian.com/dk/?_ga=2.5 ... vn-2433272
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

According to ch-aviation, Finnair eyes narrowbody order by the end of 2018, plans to boost ties with partners and eyes Lapland growth. Unfortunately, the news is behind the paywall.

Source 1, source 2
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:29 am

China Eastern plans Stockholm launch in June 2018

China Eastern from June 2018 is launching service to Sweden, as the airline opened bookings for Shanghai Pu Dong – Stockholm Arlanda on Friday (02MAR18). From 16JUN18, the Skyteam member will serve this route 4 times a week, on board Airbus A330-200.

MU289 PVG0105 – 0615ARN 332 x135
MU290 ARN1230 – 0510+1PVG 332 x135


Routesonline
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
sas767
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 1999 4:08 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:26 am

Someone83 wrote:
Widerøe is increasing TRF-CPH from 2x daily to 3x daily from August 13, after having graduallly cut back from up to 5x daily. All flights with Q400

In addition from August 13, about 75% of the flight TRF-TRD will be with E190-E2


In addition Widerøe will also increase KRS-CPH from 2x daily to 3x daily with effect from 25JUN.

In other news British Airways will increase LHR-CPH from 6x daily to 7x daily with effect from 01MAY: http://cphtraveller.dk/notitser/british ... -og-london
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:00 am

JAL to operate Tokyo Narita – Reykjavik Keflavik charters in September 2018, 2 round-trip flights.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm

QuawerAir wrote:
JAL to operate Tokyo Narita – Reykjavik Keflavik charters in September 2018, 2 round-trip flights.

Forgot source: Twitter (Airlineroute)
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:45 am

Looks like BA will increase CPH-LHR from 39x weekly to 46x weekly starting 1 May, thus overtaking SAS with the number of frequencies.

check-in.dk: British Airways overhaler SAS på London-rute
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:31 am

Regarding the narrow body SAS RFP. SAS will order 50 A320neo family aircraft.

https://airlinerwatch.com/scandinavian- ... 0-a320neo/
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:46 pm

For many years following the global financial crisis, Finnair wasn't really profitable and was the weakest performer in the Nordics. But now Finnair has become the most profitable airline in the region. Congratulations Finnair!


Finnair as the Most Profitable Nordic Airline in 2017

Finnair made a new high operating margin in 2017, when it also became the most profitable major airline in the Nordic region, beating SAS, Icelandair and the loss-making Norwegian with its margin. This marks a strong recovery from the years following the global financial crisis, when Finnair struggled to make a profit and was the region’s weakest performer.

In spite of quickening capacity growth and strong competition in the region, Finnair’s load factor and unit revenue increased in 2017, compounding the beneficial impact of a unit cost reduction (thanks mainly to fuel hedging).

Finnair achieved its best load factor and unit revenue performance in Asia, in spite of growing its capacity faster there than in any other region. Its strategy of using its Helsinki hub to target connecting traffic between Europe and Asia seems to be paying off.

    " Finnair’s turnaround has been based on sticking to its strategic priority on Asian routes while supplementing this with targeted growth elsewhere in its network, also supported by a fleet renewal programme and restructured labour agreements."

None of these factors has produced overnight results, and Finnair has also been patient and persistent in clawing its way back to beating its financial targets.


aviationvoice.com
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:57 am

Finnair will offer 3 round-trip flights from Tampere to Beirut this month


Finnair this month is offering charter flights to Lebanon, which sees the airline operating Tampere – Beirut route, on board Airbus A320 aircraft. A total of 3 round-trip flights will be offered in March 2018.

AY7559 TMP1855 – 2325BEY 320 06MAR18 / 20MAR18 / 27MAR18
AY7560 BEY0040 – 0520TMP 320 07MAR18 / 21MAR18 / 28MAR18


Routesonline

And on 25 March 2018, Ryanair will launch 2 weekly Budapest-Tampere service. The route will be operated year-round (at least until 2019), previously the service was planned to be summer seasonal. Ryanair will also launch Bremen-Tampere route in the summer.

aamulehti.fi (in Finnish)

It's really nice to see Ryanair expanding in Finland again. I wonder, is Ryanair still planning to launch flights to HEL. I think London Stansted-Helsinki was mentioned a couple years ago.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Sichuan Airlines' route to CPH seems to have received approval from CAAC.

Sichuan Airlines plans to open five intercontinental routes this year as the Chengdu-based carrier accelerates its international expansion pace.

Chairman Li Haiying told Chinese local media that the five routes, all originating from Chengdu, will go to Zurich, Copenhagen, Boston, Cairo and Tel Aviv. They have all received regulatory approval and expect to launch beginning in May.

Air Transport World 6.3.2018: Sichuan Airlines to launch five intercontinental routes
 
Someone83
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm

The last CRJ-900 on order by Cityjet for SAS operations has been delivered

Canadair CRJ 900 15444 EI-FPX CityJet delivery 06mar18 YMX-KEF-CPH, SAS cs
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 am

Qatar Airways will not fly to ARN with A350.

Doha – Stockholm eff 01JUN18 787-8 continues to operate QR167/168, QR169/170, replacing previously planned A350-900XWB (Overall remains 2 daily 787)

Routesonline

ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 am

Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2018

Passengers: 957,100 (+14.7%)
ASK (mill): 3,020.9 (+18.8%)
RPK (mill): 2,544.3 (+20.6%)
Load factor: 84.2 (+1.3p)

In February, Finnair carried 957,100 passengers, or 14.7% more than in the corresponding period of 2017. The number of passengers grew the most in Asian traffic, 26.4%, but growth was also strong on North American routes (+22.3%), European flights (+12.5%) and in domestic traffic (+10.5%).


https://company.finnair.com/en/media/all-releases/news?id=2839918
 
Asiaflyer
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 am

QuawerAir wrote:
China Eastern plans Stockholm launch in June 2018

China Eastern from June 2018 is launching service to Sweden, as the airline opened bookings for Shanghai Pu Dong – Stockholm Arlanda on Friday (02MAR18). From 16JUN18, the Skyteam member will serve this route 4 times a week, on board Airbus A330-200.

MU289 PVG0105 – 0615ARN 332 x135
MU290 ARN1230 – 0510+1PVG 332 x135


Routesonline

The opportunity to open ARN-PVG was sitting right in fromt of SAS, but they missed the opportunity.
Stockholm and Sweden being the powerhouse in the Nordics, it was just a question of time before someone opened this route.
SQ,MI,MH,CX,KA,CA,CZ,MU,KE,OZ,QF,NZ,FD,JQ,3K,5J,IT,AI,IC,QR,SK,LF,KL,AF,LH,LX,OS,SR,BA,SN,FR,WF,1I,5T,VZ,VX,AC,NW,UA,US,
 
Kikko19
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am

Nami wrote:
Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2018

Passengers: 957,100 (+14.7%)
ASK (mill): 3,020.9 (+18.8%)
RPK (mill): 2,544.3 (+20.6%)
Load factor: 84.2 (+1.3p)

In February, Finnair carried 957,100 passengers, or 14.7% more than in the corresponding period of 2017. The number of passengers grew the most in Asian traffic, 26.4%, but growth was also strong on North American routes (+22.3%), European flights (+12.5%) and in domestic traffic (+10.5%).


https://company.finnair.com/en/media/all-releases/news?id=2839918


Finnair became very healthy after some years of suffering. comparing to DY and SK we see a true winner (though SK is doing kind of well ).
 
Bostrom
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

QuawerAir wrote:
Qatar Airways will not fly to ARN with A350.

Doha – Stockholm eff 01JUN18 787-8 continues to operate QR167/168, QR169/170, replacing previously planned A350-900XWB (Overall remains 2 daily 787)

Routesonline



Pity, I was looking forward to see more A350s at ARN.
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
Nami wrote:
Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2018


Finnair became very healthy after some years of suffering. comparing to DY and SK we see a true winner (though SK is doing kind of well ).


It’s indeed nice to see AY (and SK) do well, but the cynic in me acknowledges that they’re mostly just moving along with the sector and wants to see how they will fare in the next inevitable downturn.
 
Kikko19
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Nami wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
Nami wrote:
Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2018


Finnair became very healthy after some years of suffering. comparing to DY and SK we see a true winner (though SK is doing kind of well ).


It’s indeed nice to see AY (and SK) do well, but the cynic in me acknowledges that they’re mostly just moving along with the sector and wants to see how they will fare in the next inevitable downturn.

I guess nobody will survive.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 7389
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:55 pm

February numbers for KEF:

arriving 204,278 departing 199,190 transit 140,233 all 543,701 up 11.7 % on February 2017

Year today: arriving 381,328 departing 389,409 transit 342,296 all 1,113,033 up 13.5 % on 2018
 
kameleonten
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:58 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 am

The opportunity to open ARN-PVG was sitting right in fromt of SAS, but they missed the opportunity.
Stockholm and Sweden being the powerhouse in the Nordics, it was just a question of time before someone opened this route.


SAS' current longhaul strategy is one big story of missed opportunities...just like the Shanghai route, Delhi (from CPH + ARN) and Singapore (ARN) was theirs for the taking, but at least those are flown by *A partners. SAS could still easily open more destinations in Asia, increase frequencies on several existing longhaul routes and work much more with their feed/transfer traffic. I fly to Hong Kong with them on a monthly basis and there is very little transfer traffic on the flights, yet they are still almost always full. Instead of leasing a few 'planes to take advantage of these opportunities, they are waiting for the A-350s for ever and plan to use them for a 1:1 replacement of the 340s when they finally arrive, instead of capacity increase. Talk about missing the party...
 
Someone83
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am

Icelandair has taken over an ex-Arkia 757-300

Boeing 757 -3E7 30179 912 TF-ISX Icelandair delivery 01mar18 TLV-KEF, prior paint ex 4X-BAW
 
kanye
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:32 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am

kameleonten wrote:
The opportunity to open ARN-PVG was sitting right in fromt of SAS, but they missed the opportunity.
Stockholm and Sweden being the powerhouse in the Nordics, it was just a question of time before someone opened this route.


SAS' current longhaul strategy is one big story of missed opportunities...just like the Shanghai route, Delhi (from CPH + ARN) and Singapore (ARN) was theirs for the taking, but at least those are flown by *A partners. SAS could still easily open more destinations in Asia, increase frequencies on several existing longhaul routes and work much more with their feed/transfer traffic. I fly to Hong Kong with them on a monthly basis and there is very little transfer traffic on the flights, yet they are still almost always full. Instead of leasing a few 'planes to take advantage of these opportunities, they are waiting for the A-350s for ever and plan to use them for a 1:1 replacement of the 340s when they finally arrive, instead of capacity increase. Talk about missing the party...




Actually SAS CEO talked about keeping some A340s for more leisure oriented long haul routes when the A350s arrive. It was in Norwegian media a few months ago.
 
YIMBY
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

Nami wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
Nami wrote:
Finnair Traffic Performance in February 2018


Finnair became very healthy after some years of suffering. comparing to DY and SK we see a true winner (though SK is doing kind of well ).


It’s indeed nice to see AY (and SK) do well, but the cynic in me acknowledges that they’re mostly just moving along with the sector and wants to see how they will fare in the next inevitable downturn.


That depends where the downturn comes from. SAS, Finnair and Norwegian are vulnerable to downturns, but very differently. That applies particularly to political instabilities, like

1) Russian overfly rights due to deterioration of East-West relations
2) Brexit making barriers and constraining non-UK ownership in UK
3) Escalating US-World trade war
4) Korean war (just a serious threat of it)
5) Intrinsic revolts in Thailand

But also natural disasters or diseases (remember SARS). Some instabilities may be much more detrimental to other airlines, and one airline could benefit some other's problems.

While Finnair has all its eggs in the same basket, Norwegian has the least buffer for problems, actually not at all, i.e. any setback may be end of it. SK may not be safe, but may get breathing space if Norwegian falls first. (And some other competing airlines may be even more vulnerable,)

Just my opinions.
 
Bostrom
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:39 pm

kanye wrote:
kameleonten wrote:
The opportunity to open ARN-PVG was sitting right in fromt of SAS, but they missed the opportunity.
Stockholm and Sweden being the powerhouse in the Nordics, it was just a question of time before someone opened this route.


SAS' current longhaul strategy is one big story of missed opportunities...just like the Shanghai route, Delhi (from CPH + ARN) and Singapore (ARN) was theirs for the taking, but at least those are flown by *A partners. SAS could still easily open more destinations in Asia, increase frequencies on several existing longhaul routes and work much more with their feed/transfer traffic. I fly to Hong Kong with them on a monthly basis and there is very little transfer traffic on the flights, yet they are still almost always full. Instead of leasing a few 'planes to take advantage of these opportunities, they are waiting for the A-350s for ever and plan to use them for a 1:1 replacement of the 340s when they finally arrive, instead of capacity increase. Talk about missing the party...




Actually SAS CEO talked about keeping some A340s for more leisure oriented long haul routes when the A350s arrive. It was in Norwegian media a few months ago.


And if I'm not mistaken they own six of their A340s and has hinted at using them for trying out new markets. And there was a rumour somewhere that SAS is/was looking at leasing one or two A330s for new routes.

But I agree that there a bit too many missed opportunities and maybe a bit too much focus on CPH.
 
kameleonten
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:58 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 pm

kanye wrote:

Actually SAS CEO talked about keeping some A340s for more leisure oriented long haul routes when the A350s arrive. It was in Norwegian media a few months ago.


Bostrom wrote:

And if I'm not mistaken they own six of their A340s and has hinted at using them for trying out new markets. And there was a rumour somewhere that SAS is/was looking at leasing one or two A330s for new routes.


I stand corrected - I had missed both of these news/rumours. However, still too little, too late.

Bostrom wrote:
But I agree that there a bit too many missed opportunities and maybe a bit too much focus on CPH..


Indeed. And not even enough there. Their new route to Asia (HKG) was launched from ARN. And who launches from CPH? A competitor... Not to mention the OSL-SZX link...
 
Bostrom
Posts: 511
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 pm

kameleonten wrote:
kanye wrote:

Actually SAS CEO talked about keeping some A340s for more leisure oriented long haul routes when the A350s arrive. It was in Norwegian media a few months ago.


Bostrom wrote:

And if I'm not mistaken they own six of their A340s and has hinted at using them for trying out new markets. And there was a rumour somewhere that SAS is/was looking at leasing one or two A330s for new routes.


I stand corrected - I had missed both of these news/rumours. However, still too little, too late.


And, as far as I know, it is just rumours. However, I think it is a good idea for SAS to keep a couple of A340s. With no leasing fees to pay and fuel still not that expensive, it would be a good way to try new markets. OSL-ORD maybe?
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 am

Now it has been 2 years since Qatar Airways announced DOH-HEL route. They started with A320 but only three months later QR announced they will bring Boeing 787 to HEL. 8 months later the airline increased flights to 2 daily and they increased capacity by changing the aircraft to A330-300. Also, if you look at passenger statistics you can see that DOH-HEL is definitely the fastest growing intercontinental route from HEL:

    2016: 20,387
    2017: 108,361

    I dare to say the passenger number will increase to 200,000-230,000 this year and thus DOH-HEL will probably be the 4th busiest route.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:35 am

I think no one has mentioned this, but Airbus A350-900 replaces Boeing 787-8 on DOH-CPH route:

Doha – Copenhagen A350-900XWB to replace 787-8 on following service:
eff 01AUG18 QR163/164 (1 daily)
eff 01SEP18 QR161/162 (3 weekly), QR159/160 (4 weekly)

Routesonline


And Ethiopian will fly ADD-ARN-OSL route with Boeing 787-9 only, instead of a mix of 787-8/787-9.

Addis Ababa – Stockholm Arlanda – Oslo 23MAR18 – 29MAY18 All 5 weekly flights served by 787-9, replacing -8/-9

Routesonline
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Kikko19
Posts: 407
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 am

YIMBY wrote:
Nami wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Finnair became very healthy after some years of suffering. comparing to DY and SK we see a true winner (though SK is doing kind of well ).


It’s indeed nice to see AY (and SK) do well, but the cynic in me acknowledges that they’re mostly just moving along with the sector and wants to see how they will fare in the next inevitable downturn.


That depends where the downturn comes from. SAS, Finnair and Norwegian are vulnerable to downturns, but very differently. That applies particularly to political instabilities, like

1) Russian overfly rights due to deterioration of East-West relations
2) Brexit making barriers and constraining non-UK ownership in UK
3) Escalating US-World trade war
4) Korean war (just a serious threat of it)
5) Intrinsic revolts in Thailand

But also natural disasters or diseases (remember SARS). Some instabilities may be much more detrimental to other airlines, and one airline could benefit some other's problems.

While Finnair has all its eggs in the same basket, Norwegian has the least buffer for problems, actually not at all, i.e. any setback may be end of it. SK may not be safe, but may get breathing space if Norwegian falls first. (And some other competing airlines may be even more vulnerable,)

Just my opinions.

I would add a nuclear confrontation... Leaving the jokes apart, DY is losing money even during the bubble where all others are cashing in. Would the situation revert in a downturn? I can't think positively on this.
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:54 am

SAS resumes Tokyo – Bergen charter in 3Q18
SAS in the 3rd quarter of 2018 once again operates one-way charter service on Tokyo Narita – Bergen route, on board Airbus A340-300 aircraft. For 2018, planned charter flight is scheduled on following dates: 10JUL18 / 24JUL18 / 07AUG18 / 14AUG18 / 11SEP18.

SK984 NRT1110 – 1505BGO 343

Routesonline
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
User avatar
QuawerAir
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:44 am

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 am

Bostrom wrote:
kameleonten wrote:
kanye wrote:

Actually SAS CEO talked about keeping some A340s for more leisure oriented long haul routes when the A350s arrive. It was in Norwegian media a few months ago.


Bostrom wrote:

And if I'm not mistaken they own six of their A340s and has hinted at using them for trying out new markets. And there was a rumour somewhere that SAS is/was looking at leasing one or two A330s for new routes.


I stand corrected - I had missed both of these news/rumours. However, still too little, too late.


And, as far as I know, it is just rumours. However, I think it is a good idea for SAS to keep a couple of A340s. With no leasing fees to pay and fuel still not that expensive, it would be a good way to try new markets. OSL-ORD maybe?

Yeah, definitely OSL-ORD. Also, I see OSL-IAD, ARN-NRT and ARN-YYZ possible.
ATL, AYT, FRA, FUE, HEL, JFK, LCA, LHR, MUC | AY, BA, DL, FH, LH, LO | A320, A321, A333, 752, 764, 772, 788
Next flight: HEL-FRA-JFK | LH | A321, 748
 
Nami
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Re: Nordic aviation - 2018

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 am

YIMBY wrote:
Nami wrote:
It’s indeed nice to see AY (and SK) do well, but the cynic in me acknowledges that they’re mostly just moving along with the sector and wants to see how they will fare in the next inevitable downturn.


That depends where the downturn comes from. SAS, Finnair and Norwegian are vulnerable to downturns, but very differently. That applies particularly to political instabilities, like

1) Russian overfly rights due to deterioration of East-West relations
2) Brexit making barriers and constraining non-UK ownership in UK
3) Escalating US-World trade war
4) Korean war (just a serious threat of it)
5) Intrinsic revolts in Thailand

But also natural disasters or diseases (remember SARS).


All valid points.

It's also most certainly a good thing for Finnair that there's no imminent threat of Finland joining NATO anytime soon. I'm sure should that happen AY might suddenly face some "obstacles" securing more Siberian overflight rights as effortlessly as before.

A new ash cloud would be devastating to most airlines, but Norwegian is indeed in a very vulnerable position at the moment.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 20

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos