Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

winginit

Re: Detroit air service discussion - 2018

Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:51 pm

klm617 wrote:
And Aer Lingus will do the same if the airport can make DTW-DUB happen. But the airport has to get in the game instead of just sitting on the sidelines waiting it out until their turn comes.

At this point your gaze should shift towards whether the broader Detroit metro economy will be in a position to support the financial viability of DTW-DUB expansion given the earliest they would likely start that route would be 2020. Metro Detroit's housing market has slowed and the office market is showing early signs of softness while the automotive sector continues to get pummeled.

All of those factors play into discretionary spending and broader GDP expansion, which are two of the most prominent factors that EI will consider around a possible DTW-DUB launch. As you've rightfully stated, EI will receive virtually no stateside feed so they'll be relying heavily on Michigan point-of-sale traffic in their modeling.

Keeping an eye on how much discretionary income is in the pockets of Michigan residents and hoping that we don't see a broader economic correction will be a far better use of time and resources when compared to yelling at the airport authority to put a Dublin advertisement on a park bench to try and woo Aer Lingus. The financial viability of the route, subsidized or otherwise, is the only thing that matters when it comes to new route considerations.

klm617

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:55 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
And Aer Lingus will do the same if the airport can make DTW-DUB happen. But the airport has to get in the game instead of just sitting on the sidelines waiting it out until their turn comes.

At this point your gaze should shift towards whether the broader Detroit metro economy will be in a position to support the financial viability of DTW-DUB expansion given the earliest they would likely start that route would be 2020. Metro Detroit's housing market has slowed and the office market is showing early signs of softness while the automotive sector continues to get pummeled.

All of those factors play into discretionary spending and broader GDP expansion, which are two of the most prominent factors that EI will consider around a possible DTW-DUB launch. As you've rightfully stated, EI will receive virtually no stateside feed so they'll be relying heavily on Michigan point-of-sale traffic in their modeling.

Keeping an eye on how much discretionary income is in the pockets of Michigan residents and hoping that we don't see a broader economic correction will be a far better use of time and resources when compared to yelling at the airport authority to put a Dublin advertisement on a park bench to try and woo Aer Lingus. The financial viability of the route, subsidized or otherwise, is the only thing that matters when it comes to new route considerations.

It certainly is viable and WOW Air is proof of that. The automotive sector is getting pummeled there are factories going up every where in southeastern Michigan and homes being built left and right do you even know what you're talking about. The people who are going to use EI live outside of the city not within the city limits so you have to take that out of the equation. Again that is the job of the WCAA to go out there and collect all the positive data than it can to present to EI and when EI points out negativities the airport needs to go out there and prove to EI that their findings are un founded. I will say this again if EI can go into a market that can't support any year round TATL traffic out side of skyteam when Detroit now supports 2 TATL carriers year round that DTW-DUB is doable and you can put all the smoke and mirrors you want out there but those are the facts. At this point the airport should be having weekly phone conferences with EI to keep reassuring Aer Lingus that Detroit will work for them and it's the place they want to be. But then Delta wouldn't like that if the WCAA was aggressively courting competition in the Detroit market now would they nuff said.

klm617

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:59 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:

From your article you shared

"The slowdown we've been seeing in the suburban market is predictable given the general uncertainty in trade policies. I expect the whole Metro Detroit office market to respond positively as trade agreements are signed which will add clarity to the market," said Fred Liesveld, managing director of Newmark's local office.

"The industrial market continues to boom but it's not necessarily translating into increased demand for office space," he said.

lavalampluva

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 pm

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Sorry no it isn't when

BOS gets KE,KL,EDI and LIS
ATL gets WS,BUR,ONT,PVG plus rumors of KQ and BOM
MSP gets PVG and ICN

Makes the Detroit additions just look like a few token bones tossed their way.

By the way ORH isn't loaded any where so my guess Delta is trying to get out of operating without upsetting Massport because of the expansion at Boston

MSP has NOT been awarded PVG, only that they’re interested enough to apply (pending approval from the US and Chinese governments). And even if it happens it’s not until 2020. Anything could happen in that amount of time, IB could start DTW-BCN, QF could fly to SYD, the skies the limits.

But it's out there isn't what has Delta outlined as their international ambitions out of their leading Asian gateway (Per Ed Bastian) nothing. MSP has good things ahead while Detroit sits stagnant in the Delta network and believe me I am not again growth in the network at other hubs I am against holding Detroit back to feed that growth and Detroit for the most part has been the hub that has been held back the most to feed that growth. Again I'm going to use ICN DTW is the only hub that had it's capacity reduced under this JV while every other hub had capacity growth due to the DL/KE joint.

Which is a bigger international gateway (including all airlines besides DL). DTW or MSP?

DTW to
Canada - 4
Europe - 7
Middle East - 1
Asia - 5
Mexico - 8 (mix of business and tourist)
Caribbean - 5
South America - 1

MSP to
Canada - 7
Europe - 5
Asia - 2
Mexico - 8 (tourist des.)
Caribbean - 11
Central America - 2

I included DUB and ICN. Also seasonal and year round.

Luke1994

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:32 pm

Jesus Christ on the cross, can you two just ignore each other already, or at least take it to PM? Nobody can say anything in this thread without it divulging into a pissing contest between you two, and occasionally three.

Anyways, if it hasn’t already been mentioned, the A220 is making its Detroit debut flying DTW-DFW next March.

winginit

Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:43 pm

klm617 wrote:
Again that is the job of the WCAA to go out there and collect all the positive data than it can to present to EI and when EI points out negativities the airport needs to go out there and prove to EI that their findings are un founded...

...At this point the airport should be having weekly phone conferences with EI to keep reassuring Aer Lingus that Detroit will work for them and it's the place they want to be. But then Delta wouldn't like that if the WCAA was aggressively courting competition in the Detroit market now would they nuff said.

klm617

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:26 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
MSP has NOT been awarded PVG, only that they’re interested enough to apply (pending approval from the US and Chinese governments). And even if it happens it’s not until 2020. Anything could happen in that amount of time, IB could start DTW-BCN, QF could fly to SYD, the skies the limits.

But it's out there isn't what has Delta outlined as their international ambitions out of their leading Asian gateway (Per Ed Bastian) nothing. MSP has good things ahead while Detroit sits stagnant in the Delta network and believe me I am not again growth in the network at other hubs I am against holding Detroit back to feed that growth and Detroit for the most part has been the hub that has been held back the most to feed that growth. Again I'm going to use ICN DTW is the only hub that had it's capacity reduced under this JV while every other hub had capacity growth due to the DL/KE joint.

Which is a bigger international gateway (including all airlines besides DL). DTW or MSP?

DTW to
Canada - 4
Europe - 7
Middle East - 1
Asia - 5
Caribbean - 5
South America - 1

MSP to
Canada - 7
Europe - 5
Asia - 2
Caribbean - 11
Central America - 2

European destinations from MSP

AMS
CDG
DUB
FRA
LHR
KEF

From DTW

AMS
CDG
FCO
FRA
KEF
LHR
MUC

DTW to Canada

YYZ
YUL
YOW
Last edited by klm617 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flymco753

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm

If an airline hates a city because of crime, bad rep, etc., they will refuse to talk to an airport authority or city or whichever entity runs the airport. Not saying EI hates DTW, but it wouldn't dawn on me if an airline did hate DTW, just as they hate ORD or ATL or MSP.

2Holer4Longhaul

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:50 pm

flymco753 wrote:
If an airline hates a city because of crime, bad rep, etc., they will refuse to talk to an airport authority or city or whichever entity runs the airport. Not saying EI hates DTW, but it wouldn't dawn on me if an airline did hate DTW, just as they hate ORD or ATL or MSP.

That's nonsense. Airlines don't hate cities or airport authorities at all. Profit-driven businesses don't hold grudges.

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:11 am

flymco753 wrote:

That is complete and utter nonsense, and would be a breach of fiduciary duty to shareholders. Profits drive network decisions - end of story.

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:17 am

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

DTW to
Canada - 4
Europe - 7
Middle East - 1
Asia - 5
Caribbean - 5
South America - 1

MSP to
Canada - 7
Europe - 5
Asia - 2
Caribbean - 11
Central America - 2

AMS
CDG
DUB
FRA
LHR
KEF

From DTW

AMS
CDG
FCO
FRA
KEF
LHR
MUC

DTW to Canada

YYZ
YUL
YOW

International Capacity to/from MSP and DTW including Delta, Full Year 2018:

DTW: 26,638 Flights, 4.5M seats, 16.5B ASMs
MSP: 25,406 Flights, 4.1M seats, 12.8B ASMs

The above excluding Delta:

DTW: 6,518 Flights, 900K seats, 2.5B ASMs
MSP: 5,810 Flights, 881K seats, 2.2B ASMs

lavalampluva

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:18 am

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

DTW to
Canada - 4
Europe - 7
Middle East - 1
Asia - 5
Caribbean - 5
South America - 1

MSP to
Canada - 7
Europe - 5
Asia - 2
Caribbean - 11
Central America - 2

AMS
CDG
DUB
FRA
LHR
KEF

From DTW

AMS
CDG
FCO
FRA
KEF
LHR
MUC

DTW to Canada

YYZ
YUL
YOW
YVR

Fixed it for you.

lavalampluva

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 am

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That's nonsense. Airlines don't hate cities or airport authorities at all. Profit-driven businesses don't hold grudges.

Imo both are fairly close. The only major difference is the DTW is more business traffic, MSP is more tourist driven.

Though DTW owes much of what it has to the automotive industry. Without it it would be interesting to speculate what kind of hub it would be

nomorerjs

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:40 am

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Gimmie a break that comment you keep regurgitating is getting old. I have only talked about logical adds her in Detroit firstly I talked about DTW-KEF which has now happened and with good enough loads to keep WOW Air flying it year round I have talked about

DTW-ICN on KE
DTW-AMS on KL
DTW-MUC on LH
DTW-MAN on DL
DTW-DUB on EI
DTW-DXB on EK or DTW-DOH on QR but not both
WS flights to Canada as Detroit is a very strong market to Cananda

Where does that equal that I believe DTW should be the JFK of the Midwest those are all within the realm of possibility.

Then if you disagree with my statement, why is DL not good enough to AMS, ICN, MUC, Canada? You forgot to add G4 from DET :wink2:

The answer to your last question is...At this point not many foreign carriers have announce plans for North American expansion. But it’s a start.

First of all LH would be more likely year round on DTW-MUC where Delta is not and again adding KL and KE adds customer choice at Detroit those customers who live in Holland and Korea who are loyal to their home country airlines are less likey to connect through Detroit meaning more traffic diverted over hubs that have this option.

Lest we forget these predictions:

AZ: DTW-FCO
BA: DTW-LHR
CM: DTW-PTY
DY: DTW-LGW (among others)
JL: DTW-HND
LO: DTW-WAW
LY: DTW-TLV
TK: DTW-IST
VS: DTW-LHR/MAN

BEY if this was allowed has been mentioned many times.

And if DL didn’t hate DTW: BCN, BOM, DEL (may have been AI), EZE, HKG, KIX, MAD.

There are many more, but I’ll stop at these.

Seems like tail chasing to me.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 am

nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Then if you disagree with my statement, why is DL not good enough to AMS, ICN, MUC, Canada? You forgot to add G4 from DET :wink2:

The answer to your last question is...At this point not many foreign carriers have announce plans for North American expansion. But it’s a start.

First of all LH would be more likely year round on DTW-MUC where Delta is not and again adding KL and KE adds customer choice at Detroit those customers who live in Holland and Korea who are loyal to their home country airlines are less likey to connect through Detroit meaning more traffic diverted over hubs that have this option.

And if DL didn’t hate DTW: BCN, BOM, DEL (may have been AI), EZE, HKG, KIX, MAD.

First of all you can take AZ, BA, CM, LY and TK of there I never mentioned those and as far as JL that was tongue and check but the rest yes I have suggested as viable I also said DY but only from LGW but none of the others. I have also never mentioned BEY.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 am

winginit wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

That is complete and utter nonsense, and would be a breach of fiduciary duty to shareholders. Profits drive network decisions - end of story.

Let us see when we get a better cross section of data on how BOS-MAN is doing whether that statement is true or not.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 am

lavalampluva wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Imo both are fairly close. The only major difference is the DTW is more business traffic, MSP is more tourist driven.

Though DTW owes much of what it has to the automotive industry. Without it it would be interesting to speculate what kind of hub it would be

But you see I'm not comparing DTW to MSP good for them and I'm happy when they get new links you are misunderstanding my point What I am saying is if the MSP airport can get these adds why can't the WCAA get these same adds DTW is standing still while MSP is growing and with the new DUB and ICN flights with the numbers that wingingit shared it's going to pass DTW up but yet DTW can hold it's level of international flights year round when MSP can't the majority are summer only outside of skyteam . It's great that MSP got EI don't misunderstand me but if they can land EI why is Detroit landing virtually nobody that is where the disconnect is in my mind.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 am

2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Come on you know that's not true Delta just proved that with JAX there was a market there and they were choking off capacity to suit their own needs. That in my mind is market neglect.

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:36 pm

klm617 wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Come on you know that's not true Delta just proved that with JAX there was a market there and they were choking off capacity to suit their own needs. That in my mind is market neglect.

That statement was that airlines don't hate cities or airport authorities, and your response to try and disprove that pertains to JAX capacity discipline? How is capacity discipline in the same ballpark as an airline hating cities or airport authorities? Are you implying that Delta hates Detroit so they were deliberately withholding capacity? Speak clearly.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:08 pm

FYI - both trams are up and running again for the holidays as of last week.

In early-January, both trams will be out of service for several weeks to finish-up maintenance and overhaul.

flymco753

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm

What kind of.overhaul? Also, agreed on those signs at the south entrance. Saw that on my way back to MCO a few days ago, it looked bad.

kavok

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:42 pm

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:

But you see I'm not comparing DTW to MSP good for them and I'm happy when they get new links you are misunderstanding my point What I am saying is if the MSP airport can get these adds why can't the WCAA get these same adds DTW is standing still while MSP is growing and with the new DUB and ICN flights with the numbers that wingingit shared it's going to pass DTW up but yet DTW can hold it's level of international flights year round when MSP can't the majority are summer only outside of skyteam . It's great that MSP got EI don't misunderstand me but if they can land EI why is Detroit landing virtually nobody that is where the disconnect is in my mind.

It has been discussed numerous times on this thread and others why MSP has EI and DTW doesn’t... and that the main reason is the frame availablity in EI’s fleet.

The 757 is ideal for MSP-DUB, and the 321 is ideal for DTW-DUB. Aer Lingus had an extra 757 for 2019, and will have some new 321s in 2020. Provided with that statement (which has been posted in numerous threads), even non-aviation folks can figure out why MSP was chosen for 2019. And the WCAA or MAC had nothing to do with it.

User001

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 pm

MastaHanky wrote:

I'm sorry, but it is simply true that MAN is a small market. The whole Manchester metro area is only about 2.8 million people - about the size of the St. Louis metro. In peak summer there are only three flights a day to NYC (one of which United flies their smallest equipment on). Combine that with a weak pound thanks to Brexit, and you don't have a great opportunity for service right now. I really don't see anything more than a seasonal 757 at best.

Whilst not wanting to get sucked into a whole ‘should MAN-DTW be served’ argument. It’s in fact your argument that MAN is a small market that isn’t true.

The 1-2 hour catchment for MAN is 22 million plus. To look at MAN and say it only serves Manchester in singularity is a common mistruth on these forums. There is Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and the Northern parts of Birmingham to name a few cities. There is also plenty of businesses in the region that support flights too, despite further misconceptions about this also.

Manchester has broken through the 28 million passenger mark, despite loosing a based airline that carried circa 2 million pax to bankruptcy.

I don’t know what it is about this forum, but a lot of people just don’t seem to be able to grasp that MAN isn’t some backwater regional, it makes me wonder what level of research is done, because, for a forum that is supposed to be full of enthusiasts that should no better, the misconceptions about Manchester and it’s market are truly shocking. Yes, Manchester is not London. Nor will it ever be. Neither will it be some mega hub with routes to all corners of the globe. But as said, some of the things I see on these threads are just shocking.

Midwestindy

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm

klm617 wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Airlines are businesses not charities, they don’t have to serve any and every market from DTW if they believe there is better money that could be made on a route in another market

Delta doesn’t owe anything to DTW

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
klm617 wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:

Airlines are businesses not charities, they don’t have to serve any and every market from DTW if they believe there is better money that could be made on a route in another market

Delta doesn’t owe anything to DTW

And Detroit doesn't owe Delta anything either.

kavok

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 pm

User001 wrote:
MastaHanky wrote:

I'm sorry, but it is simply true that MAN is a small market. The whole Manchester metro area is only about 2.8 million people - about the size of the St. Louis metro. In peak summer there are only three flights a day to NYC (one of which United flies their smallest equipment on). Combine that with a weak pound thanks to Brexit, and you don't have a great opportunity for service right now. I really don't see anything more than a seasonal 757 at best.

Whilst not wanting to get sucked into a whole ‘should MAN-DTW be served’ argument. It’s in fact your argument that MAN is a small market that isn’t true.

The 1-2 hour catchment for MAN is 22 million plus. To look at MAN and say it only serves Manchester in singularity is a common mistruth on these forums. There is Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and the Northern parts of Birmingham to name a few cities. There is also plenty of businesses in the region that support flights too, despite further misconceptions about this also.

Manchester has broken through the 28 million passenger mark, despite loosing a based airline that carried circa 2 million pax to bankruptcy.

I don’t know what it is about this forum, but a lot of people just don’t seem to be able to grasp that MAN isn’t some backwater regional, it makes me wonder what level of research is done, because, for a forum that is supposed to be full of enthusiasts that should no better, the misconceptions about Manchester and it’s market are truly shocking. Yes, Manchester is not London. Nor will it ever be. Neither will it be some mega hub with routes to all corners of the globe. But as said, some of the things I see on these threads are just shocking.

While I agree whole heartedly with your post, the irony is that it is being posted in the DTW thread of all places. If any USA region/airport can relate to what you are describing, it is DTW.

The US MSA figures (commonly used by many others on ANet) vastly minimizes DTWs relative size. Much like you describe, the MSA comparisons exclude the surrounding areas including Ann Arbor, Northwestern Ohio, much of lower Michigan, and even Windsor Ontario, which consider DTW to be the de facto airport of choice. And as far as being considered backwater and stagnant, most Midwestern markets can relate to that false narrative.

So yes, we fully understand and sympathize. The problem is, those false narratives do greatly impact the number of British visitors who chose to come to the Midwest, just like the false narrative greatly diminishes the number of Americans who wish to fly into MAN. And that fact does impact the DL/VS decision process when choosing whether to add service or not.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:44 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
2Holer4Longhaul wrote:

That statement was that airlines don't hate cities or airport authorities, and your response to try and disprove that pertains to JAX capacity discipline? How is capacity discipline in the same ballpark as an airline hating cities or airport authorities? Are you implying that Delta hates Detroit so they were deliberately withholding capacity? Speak clearly.

I am implying that Delta is deliberately withholding capacity on a viable markets as shown by the DTW-JAX additions. With that being said how many more markets are viable out of Detroit that Delta is not operating because it is holding back capacity on them. By the way for the record I never said Delta hated Detroit

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:50 pm

User001 wrote:
MastaHanky wrote:

Yes I get chastised over and over again trying to point that out about Detroit but that isn't going to stop me from trying to get the truth out there even if people don't believe it or like to hear it. I like your comment here but changed it a bit. . "Yes, Detroit is not Chicago. Nor will it ever be. Neither will it be some mega hub with routes to all corners of the globe. But as said, some of the things I see on these threads are just shocking.

MastaHanky

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:07 pm

User001 wrote:

Inferiority complex much? Manchester's annual traffic is slightly above Stockholm's and slightly below Copenhagen - two medium-sized European cities that both have a small handful of longhaul flights. None of them are even close to being in the top 50 worldwide.

You know where else is a medium-sized city that has a handful of long-haul flights? Detroit. Neither city is a backwater regional airport, but pretending that Detroit or Manchester is a large market is woefully ignorant of how large the actual large markets are. If the goal is to connect Detroit to more of Europe I think there are bigger fish to fry than Manchester, such as a seasonal Barcelona flight or EI to Dublin (which I think is a perfectly reasonable pursuit).

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 pm

klm617 wrote:
winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I am implying that Delta is deliberately withholding capacity on a viable markets as shown by the DTW-JAX additions. With that being said how many more markets are viable out of Detroit that Delta is not operating because it is holding back capacity on them. By the way for the record I never said Delta hated Detroit

It's called capacity discipline, and along with industry consolidation it's the reason carriers aren't going bankrupt left and right anymore. If the modeling shows that additional capacity or an additional route will generate incremental profitability for the route or system, Delta will launch the route. If it won't, or if the flight will be more profitable elsewhere, they won't launch the route or will launch it from another hub. It's that simple.

Airlines are not in the business of maximizing viable capacity for the sake of the consumer. They're in the business of maximizing profitable capacity for the sake of their shareholders.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:52 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
winginit wrote:

It's called capacity discipline, and along with industry consolidation it's the reason carriers aren't going bankrupt left and right anymore. If the modeling shows that additional capacity or an additional route will generate incremental profitability for the route or system, Delta will launch the route. If it won't, or if the flight will be more profitable elsewhere, they won't launch the route or will launch it from another hub. It's that simple.

Airlines are not in the business of maximizing viable capacity for the sake of the consumer. They're in the business of maximizing profitable capacity for the sake of their shareholders.

Again we will revisit this when we get more BOS-MAN data if that is true because there are markets that carry money losing flights just because. With that being said the same could be true of any Detroit but it's not even flights with high margins have been reduced and the capacity moved to other hubs.

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:58 pm

MastaHanky wrote:
User001 wrote:

Inferiority complex much? Manchester's annual traffic is slightly above Stockholm's and slightly below Copenhagen - two medium-sized European cities that both have a small handful of longhaul flights. None of them are even close to being in the top 50 worldwide.

You know where else is a medium-sized city that has a handful of long-haul flights? Detroit. Neither city is a backwater regional airport, but pretending that Detroit or Manchester is a large market is woefully ignorant of how large the actual large markets are. If the goal is to connect Detroit to more of Europe I think there are bigger fish to fry than Manchester, such as a seasonal Barcelona flight or EI to Dublin (which I think is a perfectly reasonable pursuit).

Yes and CPH is more connected internationally than Detroit. At least the MAN market is a bit more diverse than Detroit and carrying over 28 million passengers without the aid of a defacto hub that's saying a lot about a market that everyone claims is tiny.

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
Again we will revisit this when we get more BOS-MAN data if that is true because there are markets that carry money losing flights just because.

You don't need a data point to validate the fact that airlines aren't flying routes at a loss without an alternative 'just because'. It's a fact of Corporate America and publicly traded entities. End of story.

klm617 wrote:
even flights with high margins have been reduced and the capacity moved to other hubs.

Oh yeah? You're privy to Delta's profitability data? What luck for us please share!

klm617

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:45 pm

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Again we will revisit this when we get more BOS-MAN data if that is true because there are markets that carry money losing flights just because.

You don't need a data point to validate the fact that airlines aren't flying routes at a loss without an alternative 'just because'. It's a fact of Corporate America and publicly traded entities. End of story.

klm617 wrote:
even flights with high margins have been reduced and the capacity moved to other hubs.

Oh yeah? You're privy to Delta's profitability data? What luck for us please share!

It's a well known fact that DTW-PVG is one of Delta's highest performing routes yet capacity was reduced and shifted to Atlanta even after failing twice there.

winginit

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 pm

klm617 wrote:
It's a well known fact that DTW-PVG is one of Delta's highest performing routes

Oh yeah? It's a well known fact? Go ahead and provide us with a source if it's such a well known fact would you please? Looking forward to it!

klm617 wrote:
capacity was reduced and shifted to Atlanta even after failing twice there.

Rubbish. It's foolish to say that capacity was 'shifted' from DTW to ATL. DTWPVG frequencies weren't touched, and capacity was reduced only because Delta retired their aging and expensive 747s for a brand spanking new A350 that they've placed on the route.

User001

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:47 pm

MastaHanky wrote:

no inferiority complex here (but thanks for the comment, to me, personal insults are just a way to bulk an argument when it lacks, it makes people think their contribution is better than it actually is). given that your argument contains personal slurs and lacks consistency and a coherent argument it tells me all I know about you, and the fact this isnt the right thread for this debate, I’ll leave it there.

BenflysDTW

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:34 pm

It's great to see NK and DL expand here, but I'm concerned about UA, WN, B6, F9, and AS.
WN is retreating,
B6 couldn't manage a daytime flight to FLL like they did with BNA
F9 can't have DEN return year-round, or add TPA or LAS.
AS It would be cool if they would get back on PDX.
UA is less than half of what AA is.

flymco753

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:04 pm

I say it to every thread, having NK or not having NK is picking a poison. Preferably, NK is right for DTW, I feel like DTW wouldn't have even cracked its top O&D markets without them.

Pbb152

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 am

klm617 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
klm617 wrote:

First of all you can take AZ, BA, CM, LY and TK of there I never mentioned those and as far as JL that was tongue and check but the rest yes I have suggested as viable I also said DY but only from LGW but none of the others. I have also never mentioned BEY.

You absolutely have mentioned BEY. Post 1665 in the below thread. You can’t even keep track of all the crazy things you say.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1355717&p=20008585&hilit=BEY#p20008585

nomorerjs

Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:35 am

Pbb152 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:

You absolutely have mentioned BEY. Post 1665 in the below thread. You can’t even keep track of all the crazy things you say.

Also just posted in the TK 787/359 thread about DTW. Now it’s Trumps fault, even though quoting a 2012 article when Obama was President. Do I guess Obama hates DTW too..

You also mention BA constantly. Please read previous threads, there are multiple.

David_itl

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:55 am

MastaHanky wrote:
You know where else is a medium-sized city that has a handful of long-haul flights?

38 long-haul destinations from MAN. You were saying?

DTW-MAN may not feature in the next year or 2 but it would become more viable on an A321LR and with the lack of an ORD service by AA, but with DL preferirng to have VS operate the MAN-US services, they may want to make sure there some slack in the A330 operations to allow a route launch on a 3 or 4 weekly basis, by which time one trusts that size of the MAN-midwest USA market will have grown a bit more.

klm617

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:55 pm

flymco753 wrote:
I say it to every thread, having NK or not having NK is picking a poison. Preferably, NK is right for DTW, I feel like DTW wouldn't have even cracked its top O&D markets without them.

Yes but the airlines that are cutting their schedules have no real commitment for growth at DTW so if NK expanding cause reductions by those airlines so be it. AS, WN, B6, and F9 show no interest in making their operations bigger here where NK does.

klm617

Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:58 pm

BenflysDTW wrote:
It's great to see NK and DL expand here, but I'm concerned about UA, WN, B6, F9, and AS.
WN is retreating,

I think rather than PDX AS should try DTW-ANC summer only as they could operate that route without being in the shadow of Delta.

lavalampluva

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:07 pm

klm617 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
WN is retreating,

I think rather than PDX AS should try DTW-ANC summer only as they could operate that route without being in the shadow of Delta.

PDX offers far more connection opportunities than ANC. If you were an airline wanting to make money which would you choose? DTW-PDX with all its options couldn’t work seasonally. What makes you think DTW-ANC would?

kavok

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:
BenflysDTW wrote:
WN is retreating,

PDX offers far more connection opportunities than ANC. If you were an airline wanting to make money which would you choose? DTW-PDX with all its options couldn’t work seasonally. What makes you think DTW-ANC would?

DTW-ANC would actually work for about a week, until DL announces it too would start multiple daily DTW-ANC service in retaliation. Then there would be significant over competition on the route, and nobody would make any money. AS would then drop the route, and wish they’d never had started it to begin with.

But AS knows how this scenario would play out in reality, and that is why AS doesn’t try the route to begin with. Swap out ANC with PDX, and that is basically what we saw happen a year ago on DTW-PDX.

klm617

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm

kavok wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

DTW-ANC would actually work for about a week, until DL announces it too would start multiple daily DTW-ANC service in retaliation. Then there would be significant over competition on the route, and nobody would make any money. AS would then drop the route, and wish they’d never had started it to begin with.

But AS knows how this scenario would play out in reality, and that is why AS doesn’t try the route to begin with. Swap out ANC with PDX, and that is basically what we saw happen a year ago on DTW-PDX.

I think to start AS would have to do just a Saturday rotation for the cruise traffic until it can gain a foot hold in the market thus making it harder to force them out.. Isn't it something said carrier starts route incumbent hub carrier forces said carrier out of market so said carrier doesn't even attempt adding route so DTW-ANC never gets served even though it might be viable as it is one of the highest O/D route out of Detroit with no nonstop service. The free market at it's best don't you think.

BenflysDTW

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm

If PDX continues to grow, AS may come back on it in a few years. But I'm really more concerned about the others, Frontier, United, JetBlue and especially Southwest.
Southwest is literally letting NK take them over. WN serves a lot more destinations from MSP and a lot of markets similar in size to DTW. Despite having huge competition from SY! I know that more people travel up there because MSP is so secluded, but I think that WN is really missing out here. Again, B6 couldn't manage to change their horrible times for FLL, and F9 can't manage to add LAS or TPA. Does anyone know how their PHX flight did? they are adding it from GRR. I'd be surprised to see it last into 2020. In fact, it is only a matter of time before F9 loses their gate at D18 for American to take over it. DTW-ANC would have to be on DL for obvious reasons and I actually see it coming seasonally by 2021-22.

Midwestindy

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:03 pm

kavok wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Thus is the curse to having an incumbent hub carrier, unfortunately for klm617

N292UX

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:31 pm

Pbb152 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:

To add on to that he basically also said DTW-Iraq would work if approved by the government.
Maybe after that, DTW could then start looking at direct flights to Pyongyang!

klm617

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:17 am

Midwestindy wrote:
kavok wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Thus is the curse to having an incumbent hub carrier, unfortunately for klm617

No that's not the case when Northwest had a hub here they flew everything they don't choke off traffic to feed other hubs in their network or shift and manipulate traffic flows. I have no issues with a carrier that is 100% vested in the market. Heck if you look back Delta was more vested in CVG when it was their Midwestern hub than it ever was in Detroit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos