Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: DC/VA/MD Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm

While F9 hasn't yet announced any plans to re-enter BWI, F9 used to serve BWI in the past, and F9 has also recently re-entered (or already announced plans to re-enter) other destinations that it previously pulled out of. If F9 re-enters BWI, F9 could possibly add nonstop service to AUS, CVG, JAX, MIA, MCO, and SAT out of BWI in addition to bringing back nonstop service to DEN.

I think that F9 re-entering BWI might happen in 2019 since F9 has recently been re-entering markets that it previously pulled out of.

In addition to re-entering BWI, F9 could also add DEN-RIC nonstop service since RIC is located in the largest U.S. metropolitan area that doesn't have nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's or ULCC's. F9 also already serves DEN nonstop from East Coast markets that are smaller than RIC.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
While F9 hasn't yet announced any plans to re-enter BWI, F9 used to serve BWI in the past, and F9 has also recently re-entered (or already announced plans to re-enter) other destinations that it previously pulled out of. If F9 re-enters BWI, F9 could possibly add nonstop service to AUS, CVG, JAX, MIA, MCO, and SAT out of BWI in addition to bringing back nonstop service to DEN.

I think that F9 re-entering BWI might happen in 2019 since F9 has recently been re-entering markets that it previously pulled out of.

In addition to re-entering BWI, F9 could also add DEN-RIC nonstop service since RIC is located in the largest U.S. metropolitan area that doesn't have nonstop service to DEN on any LCC's or ULCC's. F9 also already serves DEN nonstop from East Coast markets that are smaller than RIC.

I generally agree — I think they can and should make some moves around here. RIC is presumably on their list given that it seems to be performing well with Allegiant and Spirit. I personally think they'd be better off with service to PHX, maybe LAS, and somewhere in Florida (probably MCO). DEN would have been the obvious choice a few years ago, but their operation there is a shell of its former self. There's no particular significance of RIC-DEN as a route, except that DEN is a UA hub. As for BWI, I don't know how well they'd do given the longtime loyalty to Southwest for BWI flyers. A switch from Southwest to Frontier would be a huge downgrade for most folks. Sure, some people just want the cheapest fares, but they need to have cheap operations to offer cheap fares. It isn't exactly cheap to offer service to all three DC airports and potentially cannibalize yourself to a degree, especially when you'd be going head-to-head with an airline that owns a roughly 70% market share.

That said, I think that trying to predict Frontier's strategy is absolutely hopeless. Their route planning method seems to involve pulling names from a hat and just going with it.

graham697

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:45 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
Saw some interesting action the other day at DCA:

1) Rapidly shifting winds causing all the anticipated Rwy 1 departures to be rejected (10+ knot tail wind) and all the aircraft taxiied up 1/19 to prepare for Rwy 19 departures. Looked like a conga line.

2) Saw a departure off Rwy 22 for the first time in ages - a J-32.

Are there any usage statistics for the minor runways at DCA? I feel like only shuttle flights use 33.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:

1) Rapidly shifting winds causing all the anticipated Rwy 1 departures to be rejected (10+ knot tail wind) and all the aircraft taxiied up 1/19 to prepare for Rwy 19 departures. Looked like a conga line.

DCA has been an absolute mess the past few days between weather and a power outage. I think yesterday was the first "normal" day in about a week.

The J31 you saw is the FAA shuttle. They operate it between DCA and ACY for transport to the technical center up there. It operates something like three times per week (NLE, callsign "Nellie").

washingtonflyer

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:55 pm

graham697 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:

Are there any usage statistics for the minor runways at DCA? I feel like only shuttle flights use 33.

15/33 gets used semi-frequently - especially if the winds are NW (or SE) and running 10+ MPH. I'm not an ATC expert, but I would think that ATC at DCA would try to use 15/33 more often in order to lessen the number of aircraft waiting to depart off of 1/19. I know its a short runway, but aircraft have had to depart of shorter runways....

Its been a long time since I've seen a departure off of 4 - usually some type of Dash-8 or other turboprop.

blockski

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:42 pm

washingtonflyer wrote:
graham697 wrote:
washingtonflyer wrote:

15/33 gets used semi-frequently - especially if the winds are NW (or SE) and running 10+ MPH. I'm not an ATC expert, but I would think that ATC at DCA would try to use 15/33 more often in order to lessen the number of aircraft waiting to depart off of 1/19. I know its a short runway, but aircraft have had to depart of shorter runways....

Its been a long time since I've seen a departure off of 4 - usually some type of Dash-8 or other turboprop.

I live in Hill East, and we've definitely had a number of both departures and arrivals (a few a day) that follow the Anacostia River, presumably to/from Runway 4/22. They mostly seem to be smaller planes, I suppose an aircraft could depart off of Runway 1 and make a hard right turn to the east to avoid restricted airspace.

DCA has noise reports online: http://www.flyreagan.com/dca/reagan-nat ... s-and-data

The most recent full report is from 2016: http://www.flyreagan.com/sites/default/ ... _final.pdf

There is a flight track diagram on page 9, as well as some general stats about runway use on page 7 - though this was during part of the period when runway 4/22 was closed for construction, which might skew the stats a bit.

Some general observations: it seems like DCA is in North Flow about 2/3rds of the time, and south flow about 1/3rd of the time. When in North Flow, quite a few planes will land on Runway 33.

washingtonflyer

Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for posting that report. Wow, Rwy 30 is IAD's baby for departures it seems!

DSFTEBMNZ

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Now, finally, I get how the moon buggies in IAD were designed for use. Go to 8:02 on this YouTube video.

https://youtu.be/Q08QXnqIo1I

You came in one end and went out the other. When was it changed to single entry and exit direction, and why? It’s such a chore to get people to the back of the buggy where there’s plenty of room.

I have to admit that these 1970 buggies do not look ADA (July 1990) compliant.

BWIAirport

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:19 pm

DSFTEBMNZ wrote:
Now, finally, I get how the moon buggies in IAD were designed for use. Go to 8:02 on this YouTube video.

You came in one end and went out the other. When was it changed to single entry and exit direction, and why? It’s such a chore to get people to the back of the buggy where there’s plenty of room.

When I landed at Gate A23 on Air France, we exited the plane and went down a short hallway right into one of the buggies, which took us across to the main terminal (near the Z gates) for customs. I can't imagine this is the procedure for every international arrival, though. Seems hopelessly inefficient.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

zuckie13

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

When I landed at Gate A23 on Air France, we exited the plane and went down a short hallway right into one of the buggies, which took us across to the main terminal (near the Z gates) for customs. I can't imagine this is the procedure for every international arrival, though. Seems hopelessly inefficient.

That is most definitely the normal procedure for IAD. Not just from A/B but also from C/D on United. Only time it's not if if you come in on United and are connecting, then you go to customs in the basement of Terminal C/D.

smokeybandit

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

Last time I flew international out of Dulles 2 years ago, this is what I had to do, too.

DSFTEBMNZ

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:33 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

That is most definitely the normal procedure for IAD. Not just from A/B but also from C/D on United. Only time it's not if if you come in on United and are connecting, then you go to customs in the basement of Terminal C/D.

Or at a remote stand. I’ve had the buggy come out to the plane directly.

asuflyer05

Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

There are 2 Customs facilities at IAD. The IAB is the building you are referencing taking a people mover to. This is mainly used for A/B international arrivals and B/C arrivals for passengers terminating at Dulles. There is another facility for B/C gates that processes United connections.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:34 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Why is it inefficient? It takes you directly to the IAB, which is connected to the main terminal, and usually the wait for the people mover is less than five minutes. Sure, an FIS sterile train would be nice, but that's a luxury most airports couldn't afford (in the US, anyway). It's better than having FIS in A/B and then just dumping you back out into the terminal. In my opinion, it's no less efficient than most other major international airports that I've used in this country.

BWIAirport

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:54 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Why is it inefficient? It takes you directly to the IAB, which is connected to the main terminal, and usually the wait for the people mover is less than five minutes. Sure, an FIS sterile train would be nice, but that's a luxury most airports couldn't afford (in the US, anyway). It's better than having FIS in A/B and then just dumping you back out into the terminal. In my opinion, it's no less efficient than most other major international airports that I've used in this country.

To me, the whole process of waiting on the bus added time I had never experienced at an airport in which the FIS was in the same building as the arrival gate. In May, I landed at ATL and had gone through customs and rechecked my bag within 25 minutes of exiting the aircraft. 25 minutes after disembarking our plane in IAD, we were still being shuffled to the back of a bus. Just my personal experience.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:28 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
To me, the whole process of waiting on the bus added time I had never experienced at an airport in which the FIS was in the same building as the arrival gate. In May, I landed at ATL and had gone through customs and rechecked my bag within 25 minutes of exiting the aircraft. 25 minutes after disembarking our plane in IAD, we were still being shuffled to the back of a bus. Just my personal experience.

There's obviously a difference between making a connection and terminating. Making a connection at IAD on UA is pretty straightforward — you don't leave the C/D concourse. It's as seamless as anywhere. There isn't a similar arrangement in A/B because the vast majority of passengers served by that concourse terminate at IAD. If you arrive to the E concourse at ATL as a terminating passenger, the process of getting landside is equally as cumbersome, just different. Most airports with a large volume of international flights have their various challenges. IAD is strange to most people, but it's certainly no more time consuming than most.

If it took you more than 25 minutes to get from stepping off the plane to the IAB, then that's a very atypical experience based on my own experiences. I've been flying intl from IAD since the late 90s and I've never had that long of a wait.

CapitalAvGeek

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Wow! United is actually considering adding two banks to Dulles to make a total of six banks. Maybe a new mid-afternoon and mid-morning bank?

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/10 ... 9354345473

Also, Primera Air is adding 3X weekly BRU-IAD service starting June 2, 2018 with a Boeing 737 MAX 9.

blockski

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Some Dulles news here - it's old, but wasn't mentioned in this thread: UA's addition of IAD-TLV is a nice get for Dulles - I know that was one of their big wish list destinations.

Also, even though their IAD-STN service hasn't started (starts tomorrow, I think?), Primera Air is adding IAD-BRU:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... topstories

Perhaps the most exciting is this bit of reporting from Denver about United's consideration of adding more banks at the Dulles hub:

"Today we have a four-bank structure at Dulles, the team is actually evaluating a six-bank structure that would create the opportunity to add more frequencies," says United president Kirby on @Dulles_Airport hub.

https://twitter.com/e_russell/status/10 ... 9354345473

That would certainly be another good sign for Dulles' domestic growth.

jbpdx

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Southwest’s 12-week seasonal PDX-BWI has ended. Alaska’s summer seasonal PDX-BWI ends this Saturday, 25 August.
United is continuing to suspend PDX-IAD in January and February, leaving Alaska’s 1x daily PDX-DCA flight as the only nonstop between Portland and metro Washington during that period. Meanwhile, Seattle has a total of 7 flights/day to all three airports.

Current Portland-WAS daily: 1x AS PDX-DCA, 1x UA PDX-IAD
Current Seattle-WAS daily: 2x AS SEA-DCA, 1x NK SEA-BWI, 1x AS SEA-BWI, 1x WN SEA-BWI, 3x UA SEA-IAD, 1x AS SEA-IAD, 1x DL SEA-IAD
^

capitalflyer

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Also, even though their IAD-STN service hasn't started (starts tomorrow, I think?), Primera Air is adding IAD-BRU:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... topstories

Saw this. There is some question on another thread about whether this has any chance. They plan on using 7M9 with added aux tanks. With that, some say the margin for error is small and that this won't be viable. Even IAD-STN is a stretch, but add BRU and a 737 (even is a max) and this route may be doomed from the start. At the very least, this may get cut to just seasonal, as summer months always see tons of Europeans in DC on vacation...errr, holiday.

I see many a stop at Gander coming up.

capitalflyer

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:23 pm

Even with this significant expansion, C/D won't get upgraded for some time. MWAA has a bit of flexibility with recent decision by local Govts. to allow debt sharing to be spread out more between the airports to reduce IAD costs. But with the Silver Line still under construction and "Project Journey" in full swing at DCA, in addition to regional pressure for more funding for Metro (thereby reducing the pot of money for regional initiatives), I don't see that MWAA has the capacity for awhile to add to its debt load in such a way to make the costs of a new concourse for UA workable, let alone for the LCC and ULCC carriers they are trying to add to the mix. UA are going to use what they have more efficiently and probably print money once they get this new plan implemented. DC airspace is far less congested and even when there are the usual summer storm delays, it can get unwound and back to some semblance of normalcy more quickly with fewer cancellations than NY airports. IAD can be a killer fortress hub for UA (perhaps on the order of ATL for DL?).

I don't remember if this is in a master plan somewhere, but after they add the banks and find the right time to replace C/D, it will have to be planned to allow seamless connections between int'l and domestic connections and customs. This means one concourse for everything, including Express operations. No more having to ride a train to a different concourse for connections. And a more elegant and efficient FIS integration will relieve pressure on IAB to allow for additional international expansion of other than UA airlines. Knocking down the regional corral in A will then allow additional expansion of A/B to allow full extension of this concourse as well.

But!!! As has been said, this is probably several years down the road. UA will get some cash in hand from making their east coast regional operations more efficient, and then they will be able to keep costs down in the future by having a wad of cash to plunk down to invest in IAD facilities at a time when MWAA is more prepared to 1) take on more debt without significantly raising costs for carriers and 2) focus more intensely on the project without additional simultaneous major capital projects.

blockski

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:01 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Even with this significant expansion, C/D won't get upgraded for some time. MWAA has a bit of flexibility with recent decision by local Govts. to allow debt sharing to be spread out more between the airports to reduce IAD costs. But with the Silver Line still under construction and "Project Journey" in full swing at DCA, in addition to regional pressure for more funding for Metro (thereby reducing the pot of money for regional initiatives), I don't see that MWAA has the capacity for awhile to add to its debt load in such a way to make the costs of a new concourse for UA workable, let alone for the LCC and ULCC carriers they are trying to add to the mix. UA are going to use what they have more efficiently and probably print money once they get this new plan implemented. DC airspace is far less congested and even when there are the usual summer storm delays, it can get unwound and back to some semblance of normalcy more quickly with fewer cancellations than NY airports. IAD can be a killer fortress hub for UA (perhaps on the order of ATL for DL?).

I don't remember if this is in a master plan somewhere, but after they add the banks and find the right time to replace C/D, it will have to be planned to allow seamless connections between int'l and domestic connections and customs. This means one concourse for everything, including Express operations. No more having to ride a train to a different concourse for connections. And a more elegant and efficient FIS integration will relieve pressure on IAB to allow for additional international expansion of other than UA airlines. Knocking down the regional corral in A will then allow additional expansion of A/B to allow full extension of this concourse as well.

But!!! As has been said, this is probably several years down the road. UA will get some cash in hand from making their east coast regional operations more efficient, and then they will be able to keep costs down in the future by having a wad of cash to plunk down to invest in IAD facilities at a time when MWAA is more prepared to 1) take on more debt without significantly raising costs for carriers and 2) focus more intensely on the project without additional simultaneous major capital projects.

This all makes sense.

The challenge with C/D is this: as dreary as they can be, they are nonetheless perfectly functional buildings. They do their job well. And they're cheap. IAD's CPE problems were real, but they never quite hit UA as directly since UA is paying cheaper rent for the shabbier C/D, and controlling those costs is key to growing the hub operation.

Now, that can't go on forever - the costs of maintaining C/D will undoubtedly increase a bunch in the future as they continue to age and depreciate.

There were some rumors and tea leaves in previous public comments about UA at IAD that suggested perhaps MWAA was looking at different approaches - outside of UA, they do have a demand for more International-capable gates: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ov-437593/

"Sources indicate that MWAA and United are looking at different alternatives from just a new linear concourse for the project."

Reading between the lines, it seemed like some kind of modest expansion for regional jets (perhaps at the Z gate area?) could allow the redevelopment of the low-A gates, which could then allow enough swing space for a more incremental approach for a new C/D (e.g. build just a new C first, then a new D) and keep the costs down, but this is all pure speculation.

blockski

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Sounds like UA and MWAA are looking at a small expansion of Concourse C to make room for a new Polaris lounge, as well as improved circulation for the midfield FIS:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... me-451375/

RicFlyer

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:37 pm

RIC Traffic Jumps 12.4% to Establish a New July Record

"Richmond International Airport (RIC) reported a new monthly record for the tenth consecutive month as 373,066 travelers transited the facility in July 2018, topping the previous mark of 337,474 set in July 2007."

"In July, the Airport saw a 12.4 percent year-over-year passenger traffic increase. Delta was the market share leader in July at 33.9 percent, followed by American (28.2 percent) and United (16.0 percent). Spirit, a new-entrant carrier with service to Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale, captured a four percent share of passenger traffic. Additionally, Allegiant, offering twice-weekly service to three cities, reported a 52 percent increase in its passenger count with the addition of new service to Nashville (BNA)."

"For the first seven months of calendar year 2018, passenger traffic at RIC is up 10.2 percent"

https://flyrichmond.com/ric-traffic-jum ... ly-record/

WOW RIC keeps it going!!! I still don't understand why Southwest will not add more service to RIC. Maybe Spirit will add service to the west...LAS?? Spirit is upgaging both their flights from A319 to A320 in November.

ual763

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Anyone know why the large American flag greeting travelers at IAD was taken down on this fine Labor Day weekend? It’s just simply missing. Not even at half-staff for McCain, just gone. Pretty shameful if you ask me for the nation’s capital international airport. Especially on Labor Day weekend.
From flying to the NOTAM office

ual763

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:33 pm

blockski wrote:
Sounds like UA and MWAA are looking at a small expansion of Concourse C to make room for a new Polaris lounge, as well as improved circulation for the midfield FIS:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... me-451375/

Interesting. It sure needs it, that’s for sure.
From flying to the NOTAM office

vatveng

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:06 pm

ual763 wrote:
Anyone know why the large American flag greeting travelers at IAD was taken down on this fine Labor Day weekend? It’s just simply missing. Not even at half-staff for McCain, just gone. Pretty shameful if you ask me for the nation’s capital international airport. Especially on Labor Day weekend.

Maybe it was damaged? Or needed cleaning and the timing was unfortunate?

IADCA

Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:59 pm

ual763 wrote:

Not sure which flag specifically you mean, but I saw a flag flying when I arrived Saturday morning and when I left Monday afternoon. I'm not sure if they fly it 24/7 or if there's more than one, but I saw a flag there over the weekend.

blockski

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Board Meeting documents for next week's MWAA meeting are up:
http://www.mwaa.com/about/tuesday-septe ... e-meetings

The big news is that MWAA has a buyer for the Western Lands at IAD - Digital Realty, a datacenter development firm, has an agreement to buy all of the Western Lands area (424 acres) for $236 million:
http://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/files ... irport.pdf

Digital Realty is an interesting choice. Not specifically aviation related, but servers don't complain about noise, and MWAA has used their rights of way (including the Dulles access road) as a place for utilities to run fiber optic lines, making the Dulles area very popular for data centers. MWAA had floated the idea of more leases/sales like this for data centers on land they own that is currently used mostly as a noise buffer.

MWAA wants to amend the airport lease so that the proceeds of this sale aren't considered regular revenue (which would be a windfall and given back to the airline tenants) and is instead reinvested to reduce overall long-term costs:

They only need 51% of the airlines (by fees paid) to enact it, so if UA's OK with it, that should be good to go.

---

For DCA, some updates on the renovation progress:
http://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/files ... ourney.pdf

Excavations for the new apron, including the fuel lines for the new concourse going in now; as well as some new marketing signage at gate 35X to remind passengers that help is on the way!

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:00 pm

blockski wrote:
Board Meeting documents for next week's MWAA meeting are up:
http://www.mwaa.com/about/tuesday-septe ... e-meetings

The big news is that MWAA has a buyer for the Western Lands at IAD - Digital Realty, a datacenter development firm, has an agreement to buy all of the Western Lands area (424 acres) for $236 million:

Digital Realty is an interesting choice. Not specifically aviation related, but servers don't complain about noise, and MWAA has used their rights of way (including the Dulles access road) as a place for utilities to run fiber optic lines, making the Dulles area very popular for data centers. MWAA had floated the idea of more leases/sales like this for data centers on land they own that is currently used mostly as a noise buffer.

MWAA wants to amend the airport lease so that the proceeds of this sale aren't considered regular revenue (which would be a windfall and given back to the airline tenants) and is instead reinvested to reduce overall long-term costs:

They only need 51% of the airlines (by fees paid) to enact it, so if UA's OK with it, that should be good to go.

---

For DCA, some updates on the renovation progress:
http://www.mwaa.com/sites/default/files ... ourney.pdf

Excavations for the new apron, including the fuel lines for the new concourse going in now; as well as some new marketing signage at gate 35X to remind passengers that help is on the way!

That would be great for them to bring in almost a quarter of a billion dollars. They need to use it to reinvest into facilities. Unfortunately it's not nearly enough for a C/D replacement, but if they can bring down their costs and service some old debt, they may be in a position in the future to bond out the cost of the new concourse. The problem with waiting years and years to build the new concourse is that the costs only get higher.

LoudounHound

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Another thread in the past couple days centers on a recent interview with two United executives. It was mentioned in the interview that United intends to invest heavily in IAD over the next couple years. There was also a recent Scott Kirby quote about possibly adding another couple flight banks and up to 50% more capacity to the IAD operation. I guess I'm somewhat surprised that no initial plans have been made public yet. I gather the envisioned expansion/renovation of Concourse C/D will include a Polaris lounge, along with other customer focused improvements. Anybody have the inside poop on what they're planning? Adding any gates, or maybe relocating the RJ operation? Whatever they come up with, it appears destined to delay replacement of C/D for at least another 10 years.

qf789

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:15 am

Arrival of first CX A350-1000 into IAD

https://twitter.com/Dulles_Airport/stat ... 6089802752
Forum Moderator

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 am

qf789 wrote:

Looks like the first IAD-HKG flight is delayed about four hours. Not off to a great start. I didn't realize how rough the flight times were.. Scheduled 1:20am departure, 4:50+1 arrival. Yikes.

qf789

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 am

atcsundevil wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Looks like the first IAD-HKG flight is delayed about four hours. Not off to a great start. I didn't realize how rough the flight times were.. Scheduled 1:20am departure, 4:50+1 arrival. Yikes.

The delay is most likely due to the Typhoon affecting ops in HKG, CX has had to cancel around 400 flights, currently at the airport I am at there are 2 CX aircraft parked
Forum Moderator

blockski

Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Another tidbit from the MWAA Board meeting documents for Dulles: They are re-bidding IAD's car rental contracts.

MWAA will demand consolidation by the parent company, so that the current 7 on-airport car rental sites will be reduced to 4; they are also looking to add a car rental facility fee to fund "expenses related to current and future rental car facilities."

Maybe MWAA is thinking ahead to a CONRAC at IAD? First, reconfigure the existing sites and free up some land, then get a financial mechanism to pay for it...

MWAAdude

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm

blockski wrote:
Maybe MWAA is thinking ahead to a CONRAC at IAD? First, reconfigure the existing sites and free up some land, then get a financial mechanism to pay for it...

I know that MWAA has explored the idea of a ConRAC at IAD. It may have been kicked off back during the whole D2 planning process. I don't know what the findings, if any, were, but obviously as the operator of a large airport, this can't be too far away from the realm of possibility.

Current car rental concession agreements at IAD include a clause that states that it is MWAA's intent to construct what they refer to as a "Consolidated Rental Car Facility (CRCF)" in the coming years. It's quite open-ended, but they did see fit to include these clauses in their concession agreements so obviously it is not precluded. We might be seeing the first steps of that here.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm

blockski wrote:

They really should. The current arrangement is very outdated and inefficient. A CONRAC is a big capital investment, but it's one that pays for itself.

They may as well reduce the number of rental companies operating at the airport — they're all owned by the same two or three companies anyway.

capitalflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
blockski wrote:

They really should. The current arrangement is very outdated and inefficient. A CONRAC is a big capital investment, but it's one that pays for itself.

They may as well reduce the number of rental companies operating at the airport — they're all owned by the same two or three companies anyway.

Where would such a facility be constructed? I assume they would want to build it next to the terminal somewhere to allow folks to walk to the car rental area. But I imagine a shuttle bus might still be needed unless they construct a garage like DCA to store their rented cars. Storage lots will still be needed of course, but far smaller than having 7 or 4 full rental facilities.

The only space I can see close to terminal would be on top of the hourly/daily lot. But they can't build up because no doubt they want to maintain the sight lines of the terminal. So that means digging down I guess.

SRT75

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:55 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Where would such a facility be constructed? I assume they would want to build it next to the terminal somewhere to allow folks to walk to the car rental area. But I imagine a shuttle bus might still be needed unless they construct a garage like DCA to store their rented cars.

I think it is extremely unlikely they would build a rental car center within walking distance of the terminal. IAD has land, and it's not hemmed in by adjacent urban development (like DCA). So that leads me to believe they would build a facility and set up shuttles to run to-and-from the terminal. Probably next to the current blue/green economy lots.

With the Metro stop and the current garages, terminal-adjacent is simply at capacity.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

SRT75 wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:
Where would such a facility be constructed? I assume they would want to build it next to the terminal somewhere to allow folks to walk to the car rental area. But I imagine a shuttle bus might still be needed unless they construct a garage like DCA to store their rented cars.

I think it is extremely unlikely they would build a rental car center within walking distance of the terminal. IAD has land, and it's not hemmed in by adjacent urban development (like DCA). So that leads me to believe they would build a facility and set up shuttles to run to-and-from the terminal. Probably next to the current blue/green economy lots.

With the Metro stop and the current garages, terminal-adjacent is simply at capacity.

Yeah, there's no reason it needs to be within walking distance. PHX was one of the early adopters of the CONRAC concept, and that has required a shuttle bus since it opened about 12 years ago (it will be served by an APM in the next 2-3 years). It really isn't any additional hassle to ride a bus for five minutes.

blockski

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:04 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
SRT75 wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

Yeah, there's no reason it needs to be within walking distance. PHX was one of the early adopters of the CONRAC concept, and that has required a shuttle bus since it opened about 12 years ago (it will be served by an APM in the next 2-3 years). It really isn't any additional hassle to ride a bus for five minutes.

Agreed.

The biggest question in my mind is how that fits into the rest of the vision for IAD's landside development. There have been rumblings and references to reserving room for a future landside people mover system, but all of that remains completely conceptual as far as I know.

The old CRCF concept I had seen was meant to be built on the 'blue' economy parking lot. However, since the proposed contract reduces the number of total rental car facilities from 7 to 4, that would free up land where the existing rental cars are located for a future CRCF at the same general location.

Likewise, the addition of Metro will bring a big opportunity to shift the passenger arrival experience, and certainly opens up longer-term opportunities to re-think the role of the surface parking lot in front of the terminal. It would be great to see MWAA really embrace the potential for a small 'airport city' set of developments, making use of the existing office buildings, potential for additional office and hotel space, etc.

RogerMurdock

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:42 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
DSFTEBMNZ wrote:

As others have noted, this is the standard international arrival procedure at Dulles. For some narrowbodies, the mobile lounge will pull directly up to the plane (instead of a jetway) and load everyone up for the trip to the IAB.

My main problem with the current system is how it handles premium class passengers (world's tiniest violin, I know). At most major international airports, premium class deboards first and sometimes gets "fast-track cards" or the like for immigration. Just another premium service built in to the ticket price. However, at Dulles, first off the plane means loaded into the back of the mobile lounge. Because they reverse and operate with only one driver, it actually becomes into last off at the IAB. Oh well, at least Global Entry moves quickly.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 pm

blockski wrote:
The biggest question in my mind is how that fits into the rest of the vision for IAD's landside development. There have been rumblings and references to reserving room for a future landside people mover system, but all of that remains completely conceptual as far as I know.

I can think of better ways for them to spend a billion dollars. That said, it is the MWAA, so they'll probably do it :banghead:

RogerMurdock wrote:
As others have noted, this is the standard international arrival procedure at Dulles. For some narrowbodies, the mobile lounge will pull directly up to the plane (instead of a jetway) and load everyone up for the trip to the IAB.

My main problem with the current system is how it handles premium class passengers (world's tiniest violin, I know). At most major international airports, premium class deboards first and sometimes gets "fast-track cards" or the like for immigration. Just another premium service built in to the ticket price. However, at Dulles, first off the plane means loaded into the back of the mobile lounge. Because they reverse and operate with only one driver, it actually becomes into last off at the IAB. Oh well, at least Global Entry moves quickly.

It would be nice for there to be a fast track, but I'm not aware of any US airports that have fast track CBP apart from being enrolled in Global Entry (I'm not saying there aren't any, I just haven't seen it). I agree that it is frustrating — you're first off the plane and first on the people mover, which means you're in the back and the last to get off...unless you're a jerk and stand near the front, anyway. I have GE, so it never takes me longer than about two minutes to clear CBP, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Yes, as you said, world's smallest violin, but it's a service that many global travelers have come to expect when traveling in premium cabins.

I've never had a problem with IAD's system for FIS whether terminating or connecting, but that's mostly because I grew up with it, buggies and all, so it's "normal" to me. That said, there been a few times where I'm left standing there thinking to myself, "Welcome to America's Capital" in a very sarcastic sense. IAD isn't always the most welcoming experience for the international passenger, but then again, most things involving CBP rarely are.

In the past year alone, I've arrived on two int'l flights with broken jetways, causing a 25 minute delay and a 45 minute delay, and one of them was followed by a broken down people mover, which delayed us a further 30 minutes while they fixed it to limp us back all of 100 feet to the terminal. Sometimes things are just bad luck, but it's a bit embarrassing to say the least.

washingtonflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:55 pm

I would think a consolidated facility would be easy to construct a consolidated rental facility at IAD. There are probably any number of treed areas that you could move the existing facilities to on a temporary basis and then you could build the replacement facility where three or four of the existing lots are currently.

jplatts

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 am

Will WN or NK ever add RIC-CHI nonstop service? RIC is located in the largest market in the contiguous U.S. that doesn't have nonstop service to CHI on a LCC, and there is an opportunity for either WN to add RIC-MDW nonstop service or for NK to add RIC-ORD nonstop service.

Which of the two is more likely to add RIC-CHI nonstop service?

N292UX

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 am

jplatts wrote:
Will WN or NK ever add RIC-CHI nonstop service? RIC is located in the largest market in the contiguous U.S. that doesn't have nonstop service to CHI on a LCC, and there is an opportunity for either WN to add RIC-MDW nonstop service or for NK to add RIC-ORD nonstop service.

Depends. WN really doesn't seem to care much at all about RIC, and they only serve ATL through RIC. NK has seen a pretty strong start to their RIC, so I could see them adding some routes from RIC, but I would bet TPA would come first, followed possibly by ORD.

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 am

N292UX wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Depends. WN really doesn't seem to care much at all about RIC, and they only serve ATL through RIC. NK has seen a pretty strong start to their RIC, so I could see them adding some routes from RIC, but I would bet TPA would come first, followed possibly by ORD.

Agreed. Spirit is more likely to go south than north/west. Southwest doesn't seem to realize they even serve Richmond, and I don’t really anticipate that changing. Southwest has had a perpetual fleet shortage for about five years now — first from dumping the 91 B712s, then retiring the B733/B735 (something between 70-100?) — they won't be in any position to expand their network significantly until they've taken delivery of enough new MAXes to backfill the losses. I suspect it'll take at least a couple more years. I don't expect Richmond to see anything new until then, at least.

ElroyJetson

Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:13 am

RIC had two different carriers flying mainline jets to CHI back in the 1970's. Those being UA and Piedmont. Now only UA flies mainline to ORD from RIC and AA flies commuter jets.

The funny thing is RIC has always supported flights to CHI even with sky high fares. An LCC would clean up on the route...particularly WN. But yeah...it won't happen for a long, long, time if ever. WN sucks, at least as far as the Richmond market goes.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

jplatts

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Agreed. Spirit is more likely to go south than north/west. Southwest doesn't seem to realize they even serve Richmond, and I don’t really anticipate that changing. Southwest has had a perpetual fleet shortage for about five years now — first from dumping the 91 B712s, then retiring the B733/B735 (something between 70-100?) — they won't be in any position to expand their network significantly until they've taken delivery of enough new MAXes to backfill the losses. I suspect it'll take at least a couple more years. I don't expect Richmond to see anything new until then, at least.

WN actually has room to add RIC-MDW nonstop service since WN has discontinued MDW-FNT nonstop service, since WN pulled out of FNT back in June of this year, since WN has reduced frequencies on some other nonstop routes out of MDW, and since WN has already taken delivery of at least 52 additional planes since the retirement of its 737-300 planes last year. WN also now has more planes in its fleet than it did 3 years ago prior to the retirement of its 737-300's.

RicFlyer

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:34 pm

As a regular RIC flyer I feel that WN has missed many opportunties in Richmond. Spirit is hitting the ground strong here with the upgage of all their flights to A320s in Nov. I hope they will expand to MDW and maybe west. B6 now flies 2X daily to FLL and MCO with E90 & A320 markets that WN could have flown. UA in one year has gone from 0 DEN flights to 2. AA in upgaging RIC-CLT flights to 7 mainline including 3 737-800s, last year it was 4 A319s and 4 CRJ900s. I just don't think WN knows what to do in RIC. YTD passenger growth is up +10% this YTD at RIC and WN is seeing very little of that increase.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos