Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 5:42 am

asqx wrote:
Yeah, everything is still tied to a single fix not far from the runway, even the ones that got taken away, well, not assigned anymore until they get revised anyways. Looks like the May 24 Jepp revision has even more changes but going east still puts pretty much everyone over the same fix whether they turn North or South so no real chance for dual stream as whether its off PXR or RNAV you still come to a point between the center lines before you turn out. Going west there's hope for dual departure stream with the current setup, as the departures with a north turn are mostly straight out until west of the 17 where as departures that continue west or turn south/east have a slight left turn on departure before making the big turn eastbound. But with the timing of departures and arrivals, without a fourth runway it would only be practical in the AM pushes and with pretty much mandatory east flow in the AM that's not gonna happen any time soon.

What a friggin' mess. I can't think of any other major airports that are capable of simultaneous arrivals and departures that simply don't have them because reasons.
 
User avatar
asqx
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 1999 4:56 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
What a friggin' mess. I can't think of any other major airports that are capable of simultaneous arrivals and departures that simply don't have them because reasons.


And not even good reasons. It's quite frustrating being number 15 in line to takeoff and spending more time taxiing down E than it takes to actually fly to the destination. Good for my paycheck but it's got to be frustrating for the passengers as we sit creeping to the end of 7L. If we could do west flow and run departures off 25R and 26 before noon it would save a lot of headaches. It would also save my retinas which I'm sure a getting burnt out always taking off and landing into the sun no matter the time of day in PHX.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 4:50 pm

asqx wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
What a friggin' mess. I can't think of any other major airports that are capable of simultaneous arrivals and departures that simply don't have them because reasons.


And not even good reasons. It's quite frustrating being number 15 in line to takeoff and spending more time taxiing down E than it takes to actually fly to the destination. Good for my paycheck but it's got to be frustrating for the passengers as we sit creeping to the end of 7L. If we could do west flow and run departures off 25R and 26 before noon it would save a lot of headaches. It would also save my retinas which I'm sure a getting burnt out always taking off and landing into the sun no matter the time of day in PHX.

I can imagine. I worked there during the 45 day runway closures of all the runways in 2011, which was combined with Taxiway R being closed for construction of the Sky Train Bridge. I remember one morning bank in particular when 8 and 7L were the actives (8 being used for departures), and the queue stretched down the full length of Taxiway C to T4 and for quite a ways on Taxiway B. I remember having counted something around 70 aircraft waiting.

Fortunately PHX is always VFR and a million, so they can clear the next aircraft for takeoff when the preceding is 6,000ft down and rotating (assuming they're on alternating SIDs), so they cleaned up the line pretty quickly just like they do on normal days. Think of how much more organized it would have been to have simultaneous departures though, even with a few gaps for arrivals.

It definitely makes me appreciate what airports with one runway can do. DCA is basically limited to using 1/19, and while we do hold for them fairly regularly (usually because of a VIP movement), they'll run arrivals on that single runway until the wheels fall off. To see airports like PHX have underutilized capabilities is a bit frustrating given what some facilities have to deal with. PHX has a luxury in having parallel runways capable of simultaneous ops, yet only use it for half their traffic.
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Here is historical overview (from the Tempe point of view). Tempe is one of the few cities I know that doesn't have an airport, but has an aviation commission.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=1335
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 pm

MO11 wrote:
Here is historical overview (from the Tempe point of view). Tempe is one of the few cities I know that doesn't have an airport, but has an aviation commission.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=1335

Interesting. I find their opposition ironic given how much the city has profited from having a close proximity to the airport. They've got a strong tourism and conference industry, not to mention ASU, which has undoubtedly flourished in part due to its proximity to PHX. It all kinda reads like a bunch of NIMBYs to me. I didn't realize the procedures being based off of PXR went back that far.

Random fun fact, PXR (Phoenix VORTAC) is one of only six Aircraft Geometric Height Measurement Element (AGHME) sites in North America. This is a certification/recertification requirement for RVSM (Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum), which allows for 1,000ft. vertical spacing between FL290-FL410 instead of 2,000ft. The others are ACY, ICT, PDX, and two in Canada. AGHME allows aircraft to simply fly over the site to certify the aircraft instead of having testing equipment on board. I think they have to recertify every six months.
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
MO11 wrote:
Here is historical overview (from the Tempe point of view). Tempe is one of the few cities I know that doesn't have an airport, but has an aviation commission.

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=1335

Interesting. I find their opposition ironic given how much the city has profited from having a close proximity to the airport. They've got a strong tourism and conference industry, not to mention ASU, which has undoubtedly flourished in part due to its proximity to PHX. It all kinda reads like a bunch of NIMBYs to me. I didn't realize the procedures being based off of PXR went back that far.



Tempe has filed lawsuits and spent millions in legal fees over noise issues. The "fly over the river" procedure predates PXR; the turn used to be 1 mile east of Salt River VOR.
 
User avatar
asqx
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 1999 4:56 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 5:50 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
Fortunately PHX is always VFR and a million, so they can clear the next aircraft for takeoff when the preceding is 6,000ft down and rotating (assuming they're on alternating SIDs), so they cleaned up the line pretty quickly just like they do on normal days.


Sadly they all still go out to the same fix (SPRKY or FUTEP) which are practically on top of each other and even with the turns don't leave a whole lot of room if someone decides to climb slow. Often times I get a little worried when I'm cleared for takeoff with a "maintain visual separation" between an American A321 which seems to climb at glacial speeds and a Southwest 737 which always seem to be at 250kts before the departure end, all the while we are all three strung out in a short line heading east. Fun times.

At least the amusement I get listening to AA pilots struggle to copy and read back clearances when the weather forces reroutes helps alleviate some of the stress. I do feel bad for the poor controllers who have to repeat the same clearance five times and every time tell the AA crews to use their call sign as well.
 
Ceejay12
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi all, first post on here. Just moved to the PHX area, love the airport and follow this thread regularly. I’m just curious about the total capacity is for PHX. I can’t wait to see the T3 Mod and the new T4 S1 expansion but are there any further expansion plans (like another terminal or new concourses) beyond that or will these projects max out the total capacity at Sky Harbor??

Any insight is greatly appreciated
 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Posts: 6018
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 4:24 am

Ceejay12 wrote:
Hi all, first post on here. Just moved to the PHX area, love the airport and follow this thread regularly. I’m just curious about the total capacity is for PHX. I can’t wait to see the T3 Mod and the new T4 S1 expansion but are there any further expansion plans (like another terminal or new concourses) beyond that or will these projects max out the total capacity at Sky Harbor??

Any insight is greatly appreciated


It will probably be many years before a new terminal or concourse is needed. Remember that the original plan was to replace both T2 and T3 with one terminal that was supposed to be about as large as T4. Then the recession hit and those plans have been scaled back to the T3 modernization/expansion we have now. I would actually expect to see a modernization of T4 before we see any new terminals or concourses built.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Ceejay12 wrote:
Hi all, first post on here. Just moved to the PHX area, love the airport and follow this thread regularly. I’m just curious about the total capacity is for PHX. I can’t wait to see the T3 Mod and the new T4 S1 expansion but are there any further expansion plans (like another terminal or new concourses) beyond that or will these projects max out the total capacity at Sky Harbor??

Any insight is greatly appreciated


Part of the new master plan includes a revised West Terminal concept. The Phase 2 extension of the Sky Train will include provisions for an additional station between T3 and the West GTC. The terminal would have two concourses extend linearly on both the north and south sides of Sky Harbor Blvd, from where T2 stands today across the East Air Cargo ramp to where Taxiways U/V will be constructed. It would have roughly 50 gates when fully built out.

When that will actually occur or be needed is another question entirely, however.
 
FlyingColours
Posts: 2356
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:13 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm

It also meant that for many years all jet departures had to be based off of PXR (Phoenix VORTAC), so it effectively prevented simultaneous jet departures. Again, a single stream for noise abatement. I don't think the new procedures (well, the ones that got shot down in court) are tied to PXR anymore, but I still don't think they can run simultaneous jet departures, even though the field is capable. It's more efficient to run simultaneous arrivals most of the time, but especially in the 8am departure push, there would be very little wait time if they were capable of simultaneous jet departures too. The city has pipe dreams of a fourth runway to make that happen, but I'll be long dead by the time that's ever a reality.


I had a simultaneous departure back in October last year, we were in an AA A320 and a WN 73G was a couple of seconds ahead of us on the adjacent runway, I got it on video - link below - If you want to skip straight to the air-to-air shot then go to 02:10. I think we were an early evening departure, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was somewhere around the 5pm mark.

https://youtu.be/GsJyFlMnfLw

As for someone else's comment regarding Condor and the BA flight, I think it is good to finally see someone else jumping in on the Europe to PHX market but I don't think Condor will have that much effect on the BA flights unless they really push the advertising regarding their partner airlines (for instance I didn't know that they & Thomas Cook UK had a partnership with JetBlue - I heard about it here). It will be interesting to see given how Condor are getting involved as to if TCX want to give it a try too, I think that will have more of an effect on the BA flights.

Phil
FlyingColours
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
It also meant that for many years all jet departures had to be based off of PXR (Phoenix VORTAC), so it effectively prevented simultaneous jet departures. Again, a single stream for noise abatement. I don't think the new procedures (well, the ones that got shot down in court) are tied to PXR anymore, but I still don't think they can run simultaneous jet departures, even though the field is capable. It's more efficient to run simultaneous arrivals most of the time, but especially in the 8am departure push, there would be very little wait time if they were capable of simultaneous jet departures too. The city has pipe dreams of a fourth runway to make that happen, but I'll be long dead by the time that's ever a reality.


I had a simultaneous departure back in October last year, we were in an AA A320 and a WN 73G was a couple of seconds ahead of us on the adjacent runway, I got it on video - link below - If you want to skip straight to the air-to-air shot then go to 02:10. I think we were an early evening departure, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was somewhere around the 5pm mark.


You can do simultaneous departures to the west all day (provided the two airplanes aren't going on the same departure route); traffic off of runway 25 turns to diverge. Departures to the east converge to the same point.
 
User avatar
BMIMSNPHX
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:38 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 am

I am quite certain I saw a simultaneous eastbound departure about two weeks ago. Ejets, if I remember correctly. One was turning at a fairly aggressive bank angle.
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri May 25, 2018 1:36 am

BMIMSNPHX wrote:
I am quite certain I saw a simultaneous eastbound departure about two weeks ago. Ejets, if I remember correctly. One was turning at a fairly aggressive bank angle.


Small VFR aircraft are exempt from noise abatement. If a jet operates outside the noise corridor, then the operator gets a warning from the city (the noncompliance reports are online somewhere).
 
FlyingColours
Posts: 2356
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:13 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am

MO11 wrote:
You can do simultaneous departures to the west all day (provided the two airplanes aren't going on the same departure route); traffic off of runway 25 turns to diverge. Departures to the east converge to the same point.


Ah fair enough, I think the WN flight was for San Diego, obviously we turned away and headed to Vegas. I just posted the vide as I was reading it as no (or few) simultaneous departures were allowed. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Phil
FlyingColours
 
User avatar
cathay747
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:47 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm

MO11 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
4holer wrote:
Not too often, maybe the first and definitely the last time, we see a 727 inbound nonstop from Hawaii...
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/MGE900


Who the flippin hell is Aero-Micronesia????


Asia Pacific Airlines. It runs freight and mail from Honolulu to the Micronesian Islands. It started with 727s in 1999, looks like this is the last one to retire.


oh OK, I've heard of Asia Pacific and know about their 727 ops to the islands, but it was seeing Aero-Micronesia in Flight Aware that threw me. Didn't know it was a DBA.
 
User avatar
kearnet
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:56 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 am

Anyone know what a Cargojet 767 was doing at the B6 gate today? As far as I can see online, they only have cargo configured planes so it can’t be a charter.

Image
 
alasizon
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun May 27, 2018 7:36 pm

kearnet wrote:
Anyone know what a Cargojet 767 was doing at the B6 gate today? As far as I can see online, they only have cargo configured planes so it can’t be a charter.


This is the second time that they have been there in the past month, I thought they only had Cargo as well so perhaps they were using the gate because Swissport already had their equipment there from working HA and East Cargo has been pretty full? Not really sure.
 
skyharborshome
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:19 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 am

Is there a website that shows the status of T3 South? Getting to a point now where I cannot tell how far they are coming along on it by exterior sight. I know Fall is the target and wondering about when they are thinking.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed May 30, 2018 3:10 pm

A construction worker for was killed last week at Sky Harbor. Looks like one of the drilling rigs for the Sky Train project collapsed as it was being repositioned:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 645440002/
 
AZLiam
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm

Frankfurt Flight So Successful, Condor Increasing Service for 2019

Condor Airlines, which started nonstop summer service between Phoenix and Frankfurt last month, has already announced its return for 2019. Condor Airlines, part of the Thomas Cook Group, operates the route between Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and Frankfurt Airport twice a week late May through September. The flight provides a critical link for both business and leisure travelers to and from Germany and Arizona.

Next year, flights will be extended by nearly two full months to include all of May and October, also twice per week on Mondays and Fridays.

The twice-weekly flight will continue to be served by a Boeing 767-300ER with more than 250 seats.


https://www.skyharbor.com/Media/PressReleases/2018/06/05/frankfurt-flight-so-successful-condor-increasing-service-for-2019
 
910A
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:21 pm

AZLiam wrote:
Frankfurt Flight So Successful, Condor Increasing Service for 2019

The twice-weekly flight will continue to be served by a Boeing 767-300ER with more than 250 seats.


https://www.skyharbor.com/Media/PressReleases/2018/06/05/frankfurt-flight-so-successful-condor-increasing-service-for-2019[/quote]

Good for them, but I couldn't imagine flying to Europe on a plane with 30 inch pitch in coach...
 
hz747300
Posts: 2420
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:44 am

910A wrote:
AZLiam wrote:
Frankfurt Flight So Successful, Condor Increasing Service for 2019

The twice-weekly flight will continue to be served by a Boeing 767-300ER with more than 250 seats.


https://www.skyharbor.com/Media/PressReleases/2018/06/05/frankfurt-flight-so-successful-condor-increasing-service-for-2019


Good for them, but I couldn't imagine flying to Europe on a plane with 30 inch pitch in coach...[/quote]

Reminds me when I first flew Veuling, and got to my row thinking. This cannot be correct. But, I think we are surprised what non-Av Geeks will tolerate for low fares. Anything short of hot coffee thrown in their face or being beaten by ground staff, seems to be ok.
 
boeing777200lr
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 am

Elite Airways is starting service to Laughlin/Bullhead City and Rochester(MN) per their website
 
alasizon
Posts: 3044
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:09 am

boeing777200lr wrote:
Elite Airways is starting service to Laughlin/Bullhead City and Rochester(MN) per their website


Wonder where they are parking, there has been no information released by the airport and as I recall, the CR2 doesn't fit where 4B & ZK(RIP) have been parking.
 
910A
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:46 am

Who is handling the passenger check-in for Condor?
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:32 pm

alasizon wrote:
boeing777200lr wrote:
Elite Airways is starting service to Laughlin/Bullhead City and Rochester(MN) per their website


Wonder where they are parking, there has been no information released by the airport and as I recall, the CR2 doesn't fit where 4B & ZK(RIP) have been parking.


It will have ended by Labor Day.
 
wn676
Posts: 1759
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 am

alasizon wrote:
boeing777200lr wrote:
Elite Airways is starting service to Laughlin/Bullhead City and Rochester(MN) per their website


Wonder where they are parking, there has been no information released by the airport and as I recall, the CR2 doesn't fit where 4B & ZK(RIP) have been parking.


While not ideal, they could impose adjacency restrictions on the commuter ramp for the CR2.
 
INFINITI329
Posts: 2604
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:10 pm

What happened with PHX cargo market that FX now blesses PHX with the 777F 2x a day?
 
User avatar
treebeard787
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:03 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:30 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
What happened with PHX cargo market that FX now blesses PHX with the 777F 2x a day?


Have FX retired any more DC-10s or MD-11s recently? Could be replacing the capacity from those, if that's the case. Not sure how close in total capacity the MD-11s are to the 777F.
 
777PHX
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Could be an operational efficiency sort of thing, I guess. I wonder if the extra BA flight and the Condor flight have created a significant amount of extra cargo transiting through the market.
 
skyharborshome
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:19 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Anyone know why the AA 777 flight from MIA to LAX diverted here Thursday? I happened to see it when taxiing by for my red-eye to ATL. Looks like it landed around 8 pm with anticipated departure at 9:15 pm. At midnight it was still on the B concourse and dark. I did a double-take when I saw it. Rare to see the trip-7 here.
 
Maverick623
Posts: 4728
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:13 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

skyharborshome wrote:
Anyone know why the AA 777 flight from MIA to LAX diverted here Thursday? I happened to see it when taxiing by for my red-eye to ATL. Looks like it landed around 8 pm with anticipated departure at 9:15 pm. At midnight it was still on the B concourse and dark. I did a double-take when I saw it. Rare to see the trip-7 here.


Medical diversion, then the pilots called in fatigued. Left about 10am on Friday.
 
travaz
Posts: 1125
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Here is a good YouTube of the first day of AWA 747-200 departing for HNL. Some great shots of AA, DL, NW, US, and others. 727, 757, 737-100,300 lots of good shots from November 16 1989. Starts off at Luke AFB then moves to PHX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIKanmxwlk
 
User avatar
JustWingIt
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:13 am

travaz wrote:
Here is a good YouTube of the first day of AWA 747-200 departing for HNL. Some great shots of AA, DL, NW, US, and others. 727, 757, 737-100,300 lots of good shots from November 16 1989. Starts off at Luke AFB then moves to PHX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIKanmxwlk


Lol. I'm actually going to HNL from PHX tomorrow :lol:

Anyways, T3S seems to be coming along nicely. Heard they already have a few jet bridgee up and were testing them. How long will it be until completion?
 
wetpantsmcgee
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:23 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:09 am

JustWingIt wrote:
travaz wrote:
Here is a good YouTube of the first day of AWA 747-200 departing for HNL. Some great shots of AA, DL, NW, US, and others. 727, 757, 737-100,300 lots of good shots from November 16 1989. Starts off at Luke AFB then moves to PHX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIKanmxwlk


Lol. I'm actually going to HNL from PHX tomorrow :lol:

Anyways, T3S seems to be coming along nicely. Heard they already have a few jet bridgee up and were testing them. How long will it be until completion?


It's scheduled to be turned over to the city in November.
 
chrisair
Posts: 2230
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 11:32 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:41 am

JustWingIt wrote:
Anyways, T3S seems to be coming along nicely. Heard they already have a few jet bridgee up and were testing them. How long will it be until completion?


Looks like most of the west end of the concourse has jet bridges installed. I’d love to see them install one of those things. They hadn’t started on the east side when I left last Monday.

I noticed the jet bridges have F XX numbers on them. Is T3N going to be G?
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:22 pm

The former terminal 3 becomes concourses E and F.
 
chrisair
Posts: 2230
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 11:32 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:02 pm

MO11 wrote:
The former terminal 3 becomes concourses E and F.


So the new WN concourse will be the high D gates?
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 pm

chrisair wrote:
MO11 wrote:
The former terminal 3 becomes concourses E and F.


So the new WN concourse will be the high D gates?


Yes.
 
paulsaz
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:10 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm

I saw one of the new bridges being installed and it did have an F plus a gate number. I know this has been said, but the city really should have re-lettered all of the concourses so we don't have 2 A's, 2 B's, etc. It is so confusing for a passenger looking for B15 to actually go to the end of the B concourse B1-B14 and can't find their gate, because it's on the other B concourse.
 
mountainwest90
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 5:30 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:41 am

Anybody heard any word on who will be the next EAS carrier at PRC?

SkyWest Airlines has a job posting for cross utilized agents in PRC which I found interesting but any article I found on line doesn't even have them in the running to pick up the contract.

https://careers-skywest.icims.com/jobs/5391/cross-utilized-agent--prc/job

I wonder how good the performance is for a CRJ2 out of there.
 
User avatar
asqx
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 1999 4:56 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 am

mountainwest90 wrote:
Anybody heard any word on who will be the next EAS carrier at PRC

I wonder how good the performance is for a CRJ2 out of there.


Terrain and climb gradients off 21 might pose a limiting issue for single engine performance (haven’t looked at it in years so not sure). But considering likely destinations are PHX, LAX, and at very long but not unimaginable odds SLC, I don’t see there being much of an impact. SkyWest runs CR2s into similar sized airports in mountainous areas without too many restrictions. I’m sometimes amazed what the old Scooters can do sometimes. Granted they don’t do it in a spectacular manner, but they get the job done, well done-ish.

After originally selecting Boutique I know that Prescott then changed their minds and the route recently went back for bid, but nothing in the docket yet. Rumor around Phoenix is SlyWesr will be taking over but nothing definite on routes, frequency, etc.
 
Vctony
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 1999 10:51 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:28 pm

WN made some pretty major route cuts in their latest schedule extension.

DTW and SDF go from daily to Saturday only service (both have been daily for at least the last decade of so).
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 3567
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:04 pm

I’d watch for NK to jump on PHX-DTW after their recent cut.
 
910A
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

mountainwest90 wrote:
Anybody heard any word on who will be the next EAS carrier at PRC?

SkyWest Airlines has a job posting for cross utilized agents in PRC which I found interesting but any article I found on line doesn't even have them in the running to pick up the contract.

https://careers-skywest.icims.com/jobs/5391/cross-utilized-agent--prc/job

I wonder how good the performance is for a CRJ2 out of there.


Posted as a United service to boot..Does mean service to LAX or DEN?
 
777PHX
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I have to imagine PHX is on the shortlist for LH expansion. With the success of BA and Condor, I would think PHX would be a worthwhile (re)add for LH. It seems LH’s problem is that they don’t have any smaller widebodies to test such a route with. The smallest widebody by pax count they fly is the A333 and even in the more premium version, which wouldn’t be suitable for PHX, it still has 217 seats.
 
MO11
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:34 pm

777PHX wrote:
I have to imagine PHX is on the shortlist for LH expansion. With the success of BA and Condor, I would think PHX would be a worthwhile (re)add for LH. It seems LH’s problem is that they don’t have any smaller widebodies to test such a route with. The smallest widebody by pax count they fly is the A333 and even in the more premium version, which wouldn’t be suitable for PHX, it still has 217 seats.


BA has been successful here for over 20 years. LH started service five years after BA did, and lasted for 3 years. Do you think LH will rush back in?
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 4570
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:57 pm

777PHX wrote:
I have to imagine PHX is on the shortlist for LH expansion. With the success of BA and Condor, I would think PHX would be a worthwhile (re)add for LH. It seems LH’s problem is that they don’t have any smaller widebodies to test such a route with. The smallest widebody by pax count they fly is the A333 and even in the more premium version, which wouldn’t be suitable for PHX, it still has 217 seats.

That's been their problem all along — they don't have the right sized aircraft that can also fly the route efficiently. If they had the 788 or 789, they'd already be serving PHX. Until they have the right airplane, I don't expect them to make a return.
 
Osubuckeyes
Posts: 1900
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:05 am

Re: Phoenix Aviation Thread - 2018

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Vctony wrote:
WN made some pretty major route cuts in their latest schedule extension.

DTW and SDF go from daily to Saturday only service (both have been daily for at least the last decade of so).


Wow this is surprising. DTW had been 2x daily for a portion of this year... However I always found their timing on it particularly inconvenient for my schedule.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos