masseybrown

Re: What's Going In CLE - 2018

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:17 pm

UA has updated their summer schedule. Frequencies aren't much different from last summer, but capacity is up. Lots of 739's in the schedule and mainline to IAD. Also the Airbuses are gone; maybe that means there's hope of keeping the 737 crew base a while longer.

ncflyer

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:31 pm

compensateme wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
Several things have changed since that time. First off UA is consistently and hugely profitable, the merger is in the rearview mirror now. Secondly, the tax code has changed pretty dramatically. Third, I think CLE has a better sense of how it will be served by the airlines going forward.

I'm confused as to why you believe CLE would be interested in acquiring D. As discussed previously, D would require tens of millions of dollars to convert it for large regional/mainline jet use, plus the installation of a new interior. Remember, D was conceived as a low-cost, barebones concourse designed to house 8 737 gates as a de facto extension of C; the decision to make D exclusively for regional jets & props enabled CO/CLE to install modular shops & eateries but those would disappear in a reconfiguration (it had about 600 seats and would need double that in a reconfiguration).

Ultimately, spending tens of millions on an upgraded D that's a long hike and lacks a selection of eateries just doesn't make much sense.

I agree. Though I'm not an airport planner, I think the best long term use for D might be to wreck it down and use the land for either better on site parking, or better yet to move the rental cars from Toledo back to Cleveland :hissyfit: -- preferably so they are walkable for out of town visitors (though to your point on future needs--- the day will come when rental cars are either replaced entirely by uber/lyft or self-driving cars). I recognize it is the newest and most modern portion of the facility (which ain't saying much) but for all the reasons you mention, it's just not terribly useful.

What I wouldn't do is have an empty building sit unused for 25 years, which used to be the Cleveland way.

ncflyer

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:38 pm

By the way, Massey, and others--- does the summer schedule update mean the rumors of UA adds to places like SEA and SAN and LAS previously discussed on this forum are now dead for 2018?

masseybrown

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 pm

ncflyer wrote:
By the way, Massey, and others--- does the summer schedule update mean the rumors of UA adds to places like SEA and SAN and LAS previously discussed on this forum are now dead for 2018?

Yes.

flight152

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:18 pm

masseybrown wrote:
UA has updated their summer schedule. Frequencies aren't much different from last summer, but capacity is up. Lots of 739's in the schedule and mainline to IAD. Also the Airbuses are gone; maybe that means there's hope of keeping the 737 crew base a while longer.

It’s been a few years since UA has had airbuses on the Cleveland schedule.

ncflyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 pm

For those who haven’t seen it the PD has three excellent articles on CLE facility, landing fees, and future routes. Nice to see Kennedy spend so much time with the press.

I found the landing fee discussion particularly enlightening. Also a reader posted an excellent comment with some ideas to improve the facility.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.s ... obile_home

masseybrown

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:34 pm

I agree with ncflyer - really nice article by Susan Glaser on cost per emplanement at CLE. UA paying $30 per passenger while other airlines pay as little as $3!

And it is nice to see Kennedy being chatty. I was afraid City Hall had muzzled him.

plinth857

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:44 pm

ncflyer wrote:
For those who haven’t seen it the PD has three excellent articles on CLE facility, landing fees, and future routes. Nice to see Kennedy spend so much time with the press.

I found the landing fee discussion particularly enlightening. Also a reader posted an excellent comment with some ideas to improve the facility.

The inanity of some of the comments is amazing to me. I don't understand why some people get so angry about these things.

CLEguy

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Director Kennedy suggested a third flight to Europe is in the works.

http://s.cleveland.com/yh0URjg

fun2fly

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 pm

CLEguy wrote:
Director Kennedy suggested a third flight to Europe is in the works.

http://s.cleveland.com/yh0URjg

I hope he's better than Bernie and the Browns...they had a super bowl in the works also. In all seriousness, he seems like he has his stuff together. With both him and Roman stating this, it must be something that is inked or very close. I do wonder what the airline would be because they mention "awaiting new aircraft delivery" or something like that is holding it up.

Separately, the move the car rental center back from Toledo had my crying. I understand the need for a master plan and fully support it, but why does this take until 2021 until it would get to the public? Do you just sit on your hands for another 3 years until that is done and fall farther behind the competition? With IND, PIT starting, etc. the region will be come more non-competitive.

FLYKTPA

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 pm

I think CLE’s third carrier to Europe will be Condor.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

greenair727

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 am

I may be in the minority here on this, but I don't think the rental car locations is such a big deal. Plenty of airports in the world have a similar set up to what CLE has now.I'd rather on-airport space be used for higher purposes than a giant surface parking lot, which is essentially what the rental facility is. Such higher purposes could actually make the airport better or even generate demand----these could include hotel, office space, bigger/better terminals.

Re new TATL service, very happy to see such efforts underway. Also happy to hear Kennedy suggest other destinations to be possibly added like SLC.

masseybrown

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 am

fun2fly wrote:
With both him and Roman stating this, it must be something that is inked or very close. I do wonder what the airline would be because they mention "awaiting new aircraft delivery" or something like that is holding it up.

First deliveries of the A321LR, which have been ordered by Aer Lingus, Norwegian and Lufthansa among others, are scheduled for the first half of 2019

greenair727

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm

^Is Condor also waiting for aircraft?

ncflyer

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm

greenair, this is one where technology is continuing to evolve and where it ends up 20 years from now who knows. Right now, uber/lyft is such a stiff competitor to rental cars, the Cleveland setup has to be driving business away from the rental cars towards ride sharing services, it's so much more convenient and time saving unless you're doing business far outside of Cuyahoga County.

Another element of the article that I really appreciated is how candid Kennedy was about how hard it is to get a route, even for the largest airport in the world where he came from. I believe in and am excited about his optimism on new routes, but I have to assume airlines saying "we don't have an aircraft" is a pretty standard way to reject an airport tactfully.

greenair727

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:03 pm

nycflyer--I agree that ride hailing companies like Uber/Lyft are changing ground transportation in cities. And I agree that it mpacts rental car companies in general and especially taxis at airports. (On my own last 10 flights to other US cities when I had to decide between taxi or TNC--I've taken Lyft 9 times and a local taxi only once.) However, the decision to use Uber/Lyft for one's entire stay in a city vs renting a car is likely based on elements like parking hassles at the hotel, need for a car to drive own's self, comfort driving in a new city, cost, desire to drink booze, etc. and probably very little on the location of the rental facility at the destination airport. Also, for many people--esp those who have not been to CLE before--they would have no idea where the rental car facility is and would have booked a car or not well in advance of arriving at CLE, not while on the shuttle (or walking) to the rental car facility.

corn4ahead

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm

ncflyer wrote:
compensateme wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
Several things have changed since that time. First off UA is consistently and hugely profitable, the merger is in the rearview mirror now. Secondly, the tax code has changed pretty dramatically. Third, I think CLE has a better sense of how it will be served by the airlines going forward.

I'm confused as to why you believe CLE would be interested in acquiring D. As discussed previously, D would require tens of millions of dollars to convert it for large regional/mainline jet use, plus the installation of a new interior. Remember, D was conceived as a low-cost, barebones concourse designed to house 8 737 gates as a de facto extension of C; the decision to make D exclusively for regional jets & props enabled CO/CLE to install modular shops & eateries but those would disappear in a reconfiguration (it had about 600 seats and would need double that in a reconfiguration).

Ultimately, spending tens of millions on an upgraded D that's a long hike and lacks a selection of eateries just doesn't make much sense.

I agree. Though I'm not an airport planner, I think the best long term use for D might be to wreck it down and use the land for either better on site parking, or better yet to move the rental cars from Toledo back to Cleveland :hissyfit: -- preferably so they are walkable for out of town visitors (though to your point on future needs--- the day will come when rental cars are either replaced entirely by uber/lyft or self-driving cars). I recognize it is the newest and most modern portion of the facility (which ain't saying much) but for all the reasons you mention, it's just not terribly useful.

What I wouldn't do is have an empty building sit unused for 25 years, which used to be the Cleveland way.

I disagree with this. Concourse A should be the one that demolished. It would be beneficial to invest in Concourse D as it wouldn't be at the end of it's useful life like A is.

masseybrown

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Another illustration of how the composition of CLE flying has changed:

Domestic data only
For the 12 months ending Oct 2013 79,843 scheduled flights carried 8,456K passengers

For the 12 months ending Oct 2017 51,394 scheduled flights carried 8,582K passengers

plinth857

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:58 pm

masseybrown wrote:

Domestic data only
For the 12 months ending Oct 2013 79,843 scheduled flights carried 8,456K passengers

For the 12 months ending Oct 2017 51,394 scheduled flights carried 8,582K passengers

Whoa... that is a pretty dramatic shift to mainline if I'm interpreting that correctly.

corn4ahead

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 pm

masseybrown wrote:

Domestic data only

Wow, that is definitely different. I think the vast majority world prefer the hub.

I wonder if UA controlling the majority of the airport, kept the City from getting in its own way. On the contrary, maybe the City is doing a good job.... The jury is still out.

compensateme

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:06 pm

corn4ahead wrote:
I disagree with this. Concourse A should be the one that demolished. It would be beneficial to invest in Concourse D as it wouldn't be at the end of it's useful life like A is.

There's nothing to disagree. A project whose goal was to demolish A, build a replacement FIS in B or C and reconfigure/refurbish D would easily surpass $100M. Plus, even if CLE reached an agreement with UA, it'd still relinquish tens of millions in payments. That's a lot of money for a project that really achieves nothing.
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

compensateme

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 pm

masseybrown wrote:
I agree with ncflyer - really nice article by Susan Glaser on cost per emplanement at CLE. UA paying $30 per passenger while other airlines pay as little as $3!

And it is nice to see Kennedy being chatty. I was afraid City Hall had muzzled him.

It's a really crappy article IMO. CLE has done an excellent job in ensuring that its costs are competitive to peer airports. The reason for the high CPE is because for the next 10 years, UA's stuck paying a ton of money to cover to costs of expanding the former hub bu has few passengers to spread these costs -- but that's purely sunk cost and barring a UA bankruptcy, will not burden other tenants at CLE.

CPE = total costs charged to airline divided by enplanements. The more enplanements, the lower the cost PER enplanement. DL dumping a ton of passengers through ATL gives it a low CPE, but if you're AA or B6, this doesn't necessarily make ATL "cheap" to operate from. I've preached this for years, but 99% still wants to believe CPE is a check airlines cut per passenger...
If you are an American who drives an auto built by a foreign-owned company yet complains about your favorite airline buying Airbus, then you are nothing more than a whiny hypocrite.

masseybrown

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:15 pm

compensateme wrote:
CPE = total costs charged to airline divided by enplanements. The more enplanements, the lower the cost PER enplanement.

I think most people get that; the point of the article is to rebut the argument that every operator at CLE has extraordinarily high costs, when so obviously they don't. There have been letters to the quoted newspaper for years that claimed that CLE's costs were driving business away. Ms. Glaser nicely rebuts that with airport-provided data; prior to Kennedy the airport never defended itself.

HPAEAA

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:52 pm

masseybrown wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
. I was surprised at AA's lack of depth in their NYC schedule vs. DL. Only 1 JFK too. AA's always been a just enough to CLE type of carrier from NYC, but it now seems below that. I guess it should not be surprising that is the case as the PHL route has grown a lot and that is their focus for TATL traffic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the May return of the third flight never happens. AA probably figured that UA would withdraw from CLE-LGA, but so far UA has only reduced frequency from 8 to 6 flights. AA could even cancel the route entirely; they have lots of alternatives for the frequencies; UA doesn't.

With the last schedule update it looks like AA is adding back some it's NYC Frequencies, as of this weekend JFK is 2x and LGA is 3x all on ERDs on a few dates I checked. They still only have 1 evening departure which is a bit inconvenient for folks traveling back to NYC.
1.4mm and counting...

masseybrown

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/inde ... _of_c.html

The article says the head of the new Cleveland Clinic hospital in London will be "commuting" from Cleveland for a while. I bet half the staff in Cleveland is already thinking up reasons why they absolutely *need* to visit the London branch. I still think the Clinic could support a route to London by combining their London traffic with onward pax via LHR to their hospitals in Abu Dhabi and Riyadh.

I know ... beating a dead horse; but one of these days ...

Robert1010

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:22 pm

masseybrown wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2018/02/dr_brian_donley_named_ceo_of_c.html

The article says the head of the new Cleveland Clinic hospital in London will be "commuting" from Cleveland for a while. I bet half the staff in Cleveland is already thinking up reasons why they absolutely *need* to visit the London branch. I still think the Clinic could support a route to London by combining their London traffic with onward pax via LHR to their hospitals in Abu Dhabi and Riyadh.

Hope so! They couldn’t do that when BP was HQ in CLE , sooooo!

fun2fly

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:43 pm

masseybrown wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2018/02/dr_brian_donley_named_ceo_of_c.html

That would require AA/BA to implement before aforementioned mystery airline gets the appropriate aircraft delivered.

LON truly makes the most sense for the reasons above, #1 TATL destination for CLE, great connections anywhere, etc. However, AA, as shown by there nominal growth in CLE and nominal NYC flight schedule compared to DL, doesn't really seem to have CLE on their radar. If they did, it would have been best to stay in Concourse A by the FIS!

corn4ahead

Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 am

I know this has been talked about. However, the more and more I think about it, the more convinced I am that a new terminal is the answer. Just look IND, MSY, and MCI are very similar to CLE and I think they will all benefit from the new facility. NE Ohio needs an airport to be proud of and of course, to be more functional.

If the new master plan recommended this, it would almost have to take up the same land as the current terminal. I have a couple questions and would like to think what you guys think.

1. What part of the terminal would they keep operational while they demolished and rebuilt the new terminal?
2. What facilities would they keep?
3. How many gates would be needed?
4. Does anyone else have any other thoughts?

masseybrown

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Frontier annoucement tomorrow. Maybe we'll see a couple of those lost routes come back. Personally, I'd like to see CLE-SJU back in somebody's schedule.

Robert1010

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:33 pm

CLE announcement or general ? PUJ would be a nice add!

thomacf

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 am

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf ... river_home - article on Cleveland.com today that shows a nice pic of Concourse C back in the 80's I would guess during the UA hub days????

cvgComair

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

Robert1010 wrote:
CLE announcement or general ? PUJ would be a nice add!

It is an overall network expansion. An article out of RDU stated that there will be "major expansion" announcements at 15 cities tomorrow, so I think CLE has a pretty good shot of at least getting some routes.
Next: BGR-LGA (Delta CRJ-200), LGA-CVG (Delta CRJ-900)
DL SM, A319/320/332/333, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, ERJ-145/75, MD-88/90, S340

lakeeffect

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:37 am

Regarding Frontier at CLE, they’ve tried dozens of routes over the past few years that there’s not much left to try. The few places they haven’t yet tried are SLC, SAT, MCI, BNA, MEM. F9 has launched/is launching a bunch of new cities recently so that opens up potential places like PVD, CHS, ISP, SJC, and SJU.

F9’s current schedule for summer is much lighter at CLE which could mean they plan to add some flights back. However I wouldn’t be surprised if all that gets added is a 3x weekly flight. CLE was “announced” last year as a connecting point for F9, but there’s really not much connectivity with their current CLE network.

Robert1010

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:14 am

Any word on how last years MBJ and FPO did ? And if they’ll returning this spring/summer?

plinth857

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:57 am

thomacf wrote:
http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2018/02/congress_will_create_special_p.html#incart_river_home - article on Cleveland.com today that shows a nice pic of Concourse C back in the 80's I would guess during the UA hub days????

It sure looks like it... love that picture. Look at all those 727s!

LifetimeGS

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:04 am

CLE PNS F9

greenair727

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 am

^Is that a prediction or the actual extent of the CLE expansion? If that latter, its pretty lame--especially if 3x/wk!

lakeeffect

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Looks like Frontier is actually cutting CLE-AUS service down to 2x weekly from 4x weekly when service begins in April. I guess that helps explain how they are adding so many new routes from AUS. I’d hate to be someone who had already made travel plans in AUS in April only to find out their F9 nonstop from CLE isn’t operating now.

Frontier also readjusted the weird CLE-PDX/SEA schedules. Previously CLE-PDX was 3x weekly and CLE-SEA 4x weekly through June, with CLE-SEA becoming daily July through August and PDX ending in June. Now the 3x PDX continues through August and CLE-SEA never goes daily.

CLE really needs a carrier that can offer a stable flight schedule to SEA.

plinth857

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
CLE really needs a carrier that can offer a stable flight schedule to SEA.

Agreed. There are enough passengers to justify this, don't you think?

ncflyer

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Service changes from F9 leave me so empty. They are fleeting (Austin cut already?? LOL!!) and crowd out more stable service to a place like Seattle.

lakeeffect

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm

This brings F9’s July schedule down to just a hair over 8 daily flights at CLE. By comparison, last July was 12.5 flights. That equates to almost 50,000 less departing and arriving seats in CLE this July on Frontier.

I think you’re seeing CLE reach an equilibrium. That was a lot of ULCC growth in a very short time.

plinth857

Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Service changes from F9 leave me so empty. They are fleeting (Austin cut already?? LOL!!) and crowd out more stable service to a place like Seattle.

Probably why they didn't hype this one locally at all. Not like their major expansions in AUS and RDU, at the least. At least they are trying their best to capture that Florida traffic.

plinth857

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 pm

lakeeffect wrote:
This brings F9’s July schedule down to just a hair over 8 daily flights at CLE. By comparison, last July was 12.5 flights. That equates to almost 50,000 less departing and arriving seats in CLE this July on Frontier.

I think you’re seeing CLE reach an equilibrium. That was a lot of ULCC growth in a very short time.

This may explain some of the rise in capacity (though not necessarily frequency) by the other airlines for their hubs. Some routes served mostly by RJ's in the past are getting mainline flights more often (MSP, DTW, PHL, IAD) to connect those 50,000 passengers to the locations they want to go. The lack of consistency just makes it hard to plan with F9. They are really nice if you find you have time for a last minute short trip down to Orlando, though.

masseybrown

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 pm

I think Frontier has decided to model themselves more after Allegiant than Spirit. Allegiant likes being the new guy; they often mine a city-pair for a couple of years and then move on. It's frustrating for customers who like predictability, but it seems to work for them.

lakeeffect

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Considering how much F9 adds and deletes at CLE over years, it’s interesting to see CLE-PDX extended for its 3rd summer season. I think this was a route many didn’t expect to last. Interestingly PDX only has Frontier service to DEN, CLE, and now AUS. Considering the long stage length of CLE-PDX, the fact that this route survived again with all the cuts needed to create F9’s expansion elsewhere really emphasizes the demand between CLE and the Pacific Northwest.

joeman

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:31 am

lakeeffect wrote:
Considering the long stage length of CLE-PDX, the fact that this route survived again with all the cuts needed to create F9’s expansion elsewhere really emphasizes the demand between CLE and the Pacific Northwest.

Agreed. I can remember a notion of inadequate CLE-Pacific Northwest as a goal from Ricky Smith when he first started...years ago...during the CO "hub" days. Don't remember the year but after that and for one season CO extended thru winter CLE-SEA on a sorta hit and miss basis. Hoping for AS sooner than later....if at all

masseybrown

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Recent aircraft orders (additional A321LRs) and comments by IAG head Willie Walsh are making me think the new airline CLE head Kennedy has been hinting at is probably Aer Lingus. Summer of 2019 is probably as early as it could happen. At least Eaton should be happy.

Midwestindy

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 pm

masseybrown wrote:
Recent aircraft orders (additional A321LRs) and comments by IAG head Willie Walsh are making me think the new airline CLE head Kennedy has been hinting at is probably Aer Lingus. Summer of 2019 is probably as early as it could happen. At least Eaton should be happy.

Didn't someone specifically mention mainland Europe, DUB isn't mainland Europe....
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

joeman

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:55 pm

joeman wrote:
lakeeffect wrote:
Considering the long stage length of CLE-PDX, the fact that this route survived again with all the cuts needed to create F9’s expansion elsewhere really emphasizes the demand between CLE and the Pacific Northwest.

From Enrilia latest OAG changes: F9 CLE-SEA JUL 1.0>0.5 AUG 0.4>0.2
So this kind of so far annual and always changing schedule reliability rules CLE out as one of the few major metro's without SEA service...

masseybrown

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
masseybrown wrote:

Didn't someone specifically mention mainland Europe, DUB isn't mainland Europe....

You're right about Kennedy's mainland comment; but the direction IAG is taking makes me overlook that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos