cledaybuck

Re: The rest of Ohio - 2018

Thu May 10, 2018 12:26 am

brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. The other interesting element was their lack of specifics on the new terminal. There was no mention of date although they did introduce the person they hired to manage the project. The focus on that side is the new rental car facility. An additional comment by Mr Nardone was his desire more to focus on the airlines already there instead of attracting new carriers. Also of note, American, United, Spirit, Frontier and One Jet were not mentioned by name. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker. That would tend to give the impression that Europe on AA (or BA) is not likely, but that could be a misread of the tea leaves.

Doesn't sound promising for AS or B6 in the near future.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jbmitt

Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 am

Did anyone get pictures of two DL 757's at CVG today? I believe one took the Reds to BUR and the other took the Mets to PHL. Both left around 5:30pm. It looks like they may have been there a day or two.

DeltaRules

Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 am

brooklynchris13 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker.

Will DL ever add nonstop service to its SEA hub from CMH? SEA is one of the top destinations traveled to from CMH that doesn't have any nonstop service from CMH, and DL's SEA hub is now bigger than its CVG focus city.

There were three US cities specifically cited multiple times in the presentation as the goal: SFO; SEA; and SLC. SAN was also mentioned at least once I believe. My feeling is that SLC will be the add for DL on the west coast for now, but it was also referenced about the number of PPDEW between CMH and SEA, so who knows?

Some of the other items I left out above was the CRAA quoting the cost of starting new European service as $45 Million. Which seems like a very interesting measure. Apparently that includes personnel, equipment, training, etc. and is the goal they use when measuring if adding a flight is worth it. The other comment made by the rep from DL was the importance of "up-guaging" aircraft at CMH to get more people to DL hubs. Seats on DL have gone up 25% since 2013 with a load factor of 77%, something they were quite happy about. Maybe we will see some A321 action on a consistent basis.

And yes Delta Rules, it was a public event. I think tickets for the general public were $45 (included lunch) but if you are a member of the Columbus Metropolitan Club its only $25.00.

Thanks for the additional info. I noticed one CMH-ATL afternoon flight in June typically run on an M88 was bumped up to a 738, so maybe that's part of it. They don't really have far to go upward in terms of upgauging, but maybe we'll see more 739/757 action in addition to possible 321s as you suggested as opposed to M88/M90/738s.

Where they really need to upgauge is to the other hubs, though MSP has consistently had at least one mainline flight over the last couple years. I think the number of frequencies they have to DTW keeps things on RJs, but that'd be a candidate. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 717 on CMH-LGA if WN adds the route with the VX slots, DL's way of saying "No, see, we fly big jets to New York like Southwest does!".

cledaybuck wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
Afternoon everyone. I had the chance to attend a luncheon presentation on Columbus Aviation today that proved very interesting. Speakers included Joe Nardone (CRAA) , Debbie Ryan (ascena), David Stratchko (DL), Marla Rose of the Columbus Dispatch and Nancy Recchie (Historical Preservation). Not a great amount of shocking news, but lots of talk about desired new service, the explosive growth in Cargo at LCK and the great team at the Airport working to improve air service. DL did announce that SLC will be coming back in 2019 and strongly hinted at a European destination "as soon as a few other things are worked out" -- or something very close to that. I took from that the perception that they are working on some corporate contracts + guarantees, but I could be off a bit. My $$ is also on an AMS flight and not CDG. The other interesting element was their lack of specifics on the new terminal. There was no mention of date although they did introduce the person they hired to manage the project. The focus on that side is the new rental car facility. An additional comment by Mr Nardone was his desire more to focus on the airlines already there instead of attracting new carriers. Also of note, American, United, Spirit, Frontier and One Jet were not mentioned by name. Southwest was called out (they had a rep there) and Delta was a featured speaker. That would tend to give the impression that Europe on AA (or BA) is not likely, but that could be a misread of the tea leaves.

Yeah, they'll probably have to come in on their own volition now, though AS would be the leading candidate for SFO, so who knows?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

boscmh

Thu May 10, 2018 1:06 am

Within the next week. the full video of the CMC panel should be posted on youtube here. They are usually pretty good about getting things uploaded in a reasonable timeframe - https://www.youtube.com/user/adrewbart/videos

cledaybuck

Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 am

DeltaRules wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Will DL ever add nonstop service to its SEA hub from CMH? SEA is one of the top destinations traveled to from CMH that doesn't have any nonstop service from CMH, and DL's SEA hub is now bigger than its CVG focus city.

There were three US cities specifically cited multiple times in the presentation as the goal: SFO; SEA; and SLC. SAN was also mentioned at least once I believe. My feeling is that SLC will be the add for DL on the west coast for now, but it was also referenced about the number of PPDEW between CMH and SEA, so who knows?

Some of the other items I left out above was the CRAA quoting the cost of starting new European service as $45 Million. Which seems like a very interesting measure. Apparently that includes personnel, equipment, training, etc. and is the goal they use when measuring if adding a flight is worth it. The other comment made by the rep from DL was the importance of "up-guaging" aircraft at CMH to get more people to DL hubs. Seats on DL have gone up 25% since 2013 with a load factor of 77%, something they were quite happy about. Maybe we will see some A321 action on a consistent basis.

And yes Delta Rules, it was a public event. I think tickets for the general public were $45 (included lunch) but if you are a member of the Columbus Metropolitan Club its only $25.00.

Thanks for the additional info. I noticed one CMH-ATL afternoon flight in June typically run on an M88 was bumped up to a 738, so maybe that's part of it. They don't really have far to go upward in terms of upgauging, but maybe we'll see more 739/757 action in addition to possible 321s as you suggested as opposed to M88/M90/738s.

Where they really need to upgauge is to the other hubs, though MSP has consistently had at least one mainline flight over the last couple years. I think the number of frequencies they have to DTW keeps things on RJs, but that'd be a candidate. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a 717 on CMH-LGA if WN adds the route with the VX slots, DL's way of saying "No, see, we fly big jets to New York like Southwest does!".

cledaybuck wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:

Yeah, they'll probably have to come in on their own volition now, though AS would be the leading candidate for SFO, so who knows?
I would think UA would be the leading candidate for SFO. If AS started, I would expect SEA.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

cvgComair

Thu May 10, 2018 1:20 am

AirportRival wrote:
CVG Update:

Just did a quick walk-through of Concourse B for the preparation for WOW.
- Looks like the Delta Sky Lounge is getting a facelift. I can't tell for sure since I would have to pay to go look but there is a banner in the Concourse mentioning something about it.
- The American gates look good. The gate counters are branded just like the Delta gates which I actually prefer over the generic look.
- Some of the new restaurants going in B have already opened.

Thanks for the update, especially with the SkyClub, it is a really nice one, but still has the older style to it. They are very public about renovations to SkyClubs, so I cam kind of surprised they have not released anything about it.

ADrum23

Thu May 10, 2018 1:33 am

cvgComair wrote:
AirportRival wrote:
CVG Update:

Just did a quick walk-through of Concourse B for the preparation for WOW.
- Looks like the Delta Sky Lounge is getting a facelift. I can't tell for sure since I would have to pay to go look but there is a banner in the Concourse mentioning something about it.
- The American gates look good. The gate counters are branded just like the Delta gates which I actually prefer over the generic look.
- Some of the new restaurants going in B have already opened.

Thanks for the update, especially with the SkyClub, it is a really nice one, but still has the older style to it. They are very public about renovations to SkyClubs, so I cam kind of surprised they have not released anything about it.

Is it a minor or major renovation? I only seem to hear about new SkyClubs when a club is being either completely replaced or undergoes major renovations (i.e, gut to the studs and redo).

I wonder if DL would consider building a new SkyClub with a Skydeck similar to the ones at ATL/JFK/SEA and soon AUS when CVG figures out a long term plan to replace the concourses.

WWads

Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 am

CMH-SEA isn't happening until SEA gets more gate space. DL is having to use hard stands during peak periods, which is hardly ideal.

DeltaRules

Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 am

cledaybuck wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
brooklynchris13 wrote:

cledaybuck wrote:

I would think UA would be the leading candidate for SFO. If AS started, I would expect SEA.

I was thinking AS because of the VX acquisition. It might give them the incentive to add one after starting the other, as is sort of the case at IND.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

DeltaRules

Thu May 10, 2018 11:44 am

Delete- double post by accident.

topguncnod

Thu May 10, 2018 11:57 am

In the CVG SkyClub now and an employee just told me the update is only for automatic doors at the entrance. They are already installed. Small update but I’m pretty happy to see it. No longer have to juggle pulling the handle and trying to pull luggage in the door before it closes on you.

boscmh

Thu May 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Story from the Columbus Dispatch

Delta to offer nonstop service from Columbus to Salt Lake City next year

http://www.dispatch.com/business/20180510/delta-to-offer-nonstop-service-from-columbus-to-salt-lake-city-next-year

cvgComair

Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Here are some pics of the WOW celebration at CVG, wish I could have made it down for the inaugural flight:

cvgComair

Sat May 12, 2018 2:28 am

Also, here are February load factors for CVG (both ways combined). It is a pretty slow travel time, so the loads will be a little less than normal.

Allegiant
CVG-LAS: 95.0%
CVG-FLL: 90.5%
CVG-AZA: 90.1%
CVG-LAX: 88.4%
CVG-DEN: 87.3%
CVG-JAX: 85.2%
CVG-PIE: 85.0%
CVG-PGD: 84.2%
CVG-SFB: 83.7%
CVG-VPS: 79.4%
CVG-MSY: 77.9%
CVG-AUS: 77.5%
CVG-EWR: 66.3%
CVG-RDU: 65.8%
CVG-PVD: 59.2%
CVG-SAV: 58.5%
CVG-BWI: 56.4%

American
CVG-DFW: 83.5%
CVG-MIA: 81.8%
CVG-LGA: 78.1%
CVG-CLT: 76.4%
CVG-ORD: 75.9%
CVG-JFK: 74.2%
CVG-DCA: 62.7%
CVG-PHL: 61.4%

Delta
CVG-SLC: 90.9%
CVG-LAX: 90.4%
CVG-ATL: 86.2%
CVG-FLL: 85.0%
CVG-RSW: 84.4%
CVG-MSP: 83.0%
CVG-DEN: 80.7%
CVG-LAS: 80.1%
CVG-TPA: 79.7%
CVG-RDU: 77.3%
CVG-MCO: 76.4%
CVG-DTW: 75.9%
CVG-JFK: 73.1%
CVG-SFO: 73.0%
CVG-MCI: 70.4%
CVG-DFW: 69.0%
CVG-LGA: 66.5%
CVG-MKE: 64.4%
CVG-IAH: 63.5%
CVG-BWI: 63.0%
CVG-DCA: 61.9%
CVG-PHL: 57.1%
CVG-ORD: 57.1%
CVG-BDL: 50.0%
CVG-STL: 49.9%
CVG-EWR: 47.9%
CVG-BOS: 47.2%
CVG-CLT: 45.2%
CVG-XNA: 39.6%
CVG-BNA: 39.2%

Frontier
CVG-DEN: 90.6%
CVG-MCO: 90.6%
CVG-PHX: 90.5%
CVG-RSW: 87.2%
CVG-LAS: 83.9%
CVG-TPA: 83.1%
CVG-MIA: 79.6%
CVG-LGA: 77.2%

Southwest
CVG-BWI: 53.7%
CVG-MDW: 53.4%

United
CVG-DEN: 94.1%
CVG-IAH: 77.2%
CVG-IAD: 74.9%
CVG-ORD: 74.4%
CVG-SFO: 65.9%
CVG-EWR: 53.9%

cvgComair

Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Delta has reloaded CVG-XNA 1x/day CRJ-200 effective April 2, 2019. Looks like it was just a seasonal suspension.

Harvestman

Tue May 15, 2018 3:16 pm

So I'm new here and thought I might as well contribute something for my first post. Here's a sample of what we night owls deal with at the DHL hub every night....this is from last Friday night but is about typical for any day of the week.

777s
D-AALG (LEJ)
D-AALJ (EMA)
N775SA (BAH)
N777SA (BAH)

767s
N226CY (MIA)
N647GT (EWR)
XA-EFR (MEX)
N220CY (LAX)
N372CM (SEA)
N255CM (BWI)
N656GT (PHX)
C-FGSJ (YHM)
N317CM (ATL)
N658GT (SFO)
N362CM (JFK)
N651GT (MIA)
N659GT (BOS)
N760CK (DTW)
N787AX (HRL)
N763CK (ORD)
N788AX (IAH)
N650GT (GSO)
N219CY (MCO)
N762CK (DFW)
N761CK (ELP)
N752AX (SJU)
N371CM (SPARE)
N657GT (SPARE)
N653GT (SPARE)
N797AX (MAINTENANCE)
N1409A (AMZ)
N1361A (AMZ)

757s
N620DL (TUL)
N531UA (PHL)
C-FKAJ (YMX)
N605DL (BNA)

747s
N452PA (MIA)
N446MC (BRU)
N976BA (DOV)
N445MC (BAH)
N743CK (BRU)
N499MC (ANC)
N702CK (LEJ)
N858GT (NRT)
N853GT (ANC)
N539BC (ANC)
N450PA (ICN)

737s
N311GT (STL)
N306GT (DEN)
N732CK (ROC)
N305GT (CID)
N307GT (MKE)

A300s
XA-UYR (MEX)
XA-GGL (GDL)

Beech 1900Cs
N718AF (AVP)

Beechcraft King Airs
N567AC (MDT)

And some fun facts that you may or may not know about the hub...

Spot 1 is not used for flights - used for storage of empty dollies/ULDs, incoming freight to Building 5 during peak hours, and freight for LEJ in Spot 2.
Spot 3 is very rarely used for flights - in one year I've only seen it used once, no idea what flight but it was on a Sunday. Most often used for empty dolly overflow and truck dock freight staging on weekends.
Spot 42 (I think that's correct) is not used for flights - it is home to Amazon's ULD storage ball decks. Even before the hub expansion (way before my time!) it appears to have been unused, as the tug/ramp vehicle parking area next to it is known as the "old tug lot".

Midwestindy

Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 pm

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2 ... 612428002/

Allegiant to resume flights from CVG to Puerto Rico
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

cvgComair

Tue May 15, 2018 11:19 pm

Harvestman wrote:
So I'm new here and thought I might as well contribute something for my first post. Here's a sample of what we night owls deal with at the DHL hub every night....this is from last Friday night but is about typical for any day of the week.

777s
D-AALG (LEJ)
D-AALJ (EMA)
N775SA (BAH)
N777SA (BAH)

767s
N226CY (MIA)
N647GT (EWR)
XA-EFR (MEX)
N220CY (LAX)
N372CM (SEA)
N255CM (BWI)
N656GT (PHX)
C-FGSJ (YHM)
N317CM (ATL)
N658GT (SFO)
N362CM (JFK)
N651GT (MIA)
N659GT (BOS)
N760CK (DTW)
N787AX (HRL)
N763CK (ORD)
N788AX (IAH)
N650GT (GSO)
N219CY (MCO)
N762CK (DFW)
N761CK (ELP)
N752AX (SJU)
N371CM (SPARE)
N657GT (SPARE)
N653GT (SPARE)
N797AX (MAINTENANCE)
N1409A (AMZ)
N1361A (AMZ)

757s
N620DL (TUL)
N531UA (PHL)
C-FKAJ (YMX)
N605DL (BNA)

747s
N452PA (MIA)
N446MC (BRU)
N976BA (DOV)
N445MC (BAH)
N743CK (BRU)
N499MC (ANC)
N702CK (LEJ)
N858GT (NRT)
N853GT (ANC)
N539BC (ANC)
N450PA (ICN)

737s
N311GT (STL)
N306GT (DEN)
N732CK (ROC)
N305GT (CID)
N307GT (MKE)

A300s
XA-UYR (MEX)
XA-GGL (GDL)

Beech 1900Cs
N718AF (AVP)

Beechcraft King Airs
N567AC (MDT)

And some fun facts that you may or may not know about the hub...

Spot 1 is not used for flights - used for storage of empty dollies/ULDs, incoming freight to Building 5 during peak hours, and freight for LEJ in Spot 2.
Spot 3 is very rarely used for flights - in one year I've only seen it used once, no idea what flight but it was on a Sunday. Most often used for empty dolly overflow and truck dock freight staging on weekends.
Spot 42 (I think that's correct) is not used for flights - it is home to Amazon's ULD storage ball decks. Even before the hub expansion (way before my time!) it appears to have been unused, as the tug/ramp vehicle parking area next to it is known as the "old tug lot".

Welcome to A.net and thanks for the info! I have been noticing the DOV and WRI flights recently, pretty interesting routes, especially with the 744's. I figured they must have some type of military connection/significance.

As for the parking space #42, I have seen DHL using it as recently as March, perhaps we are thinking of different spots? It doesn't seem like DHL is using 47/48 anymore (the line for 49 is gone), but it is kind of hard to see from the taxiways. This is the map of gates I have down for the DHL complex, not sure about which A/B gates are actually in use at the moment, but it should be pretty close:
btw, the layout in the Amazon area is filler, I have no idea what the final layout will be

cvgComair

Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/05/15/allegiant-now-offering-75-flights/612428002/

Allegiant to resume flights from CVG to Puerto Rico

Other CVG changes include:
Charleston going to year-round
Baltimore/Raleigh/Providence going to seasonal
A few frequency reductions for the winter season, but it seems like G4 is better trying to match demand to the seasons. My guess is that they will be adding some new routes that operate winter seasonally. Overall, G4 has taken a big whack to the entire schedule at all cities for the fall/winter, so none of this is very surprising.

DeltaRules

Wed May 16, 2018 1:05 am

boscmh wrote:
Within the next week. the full video of the CMC panel should be posted on youtube here. They are usually pretty good about getting things uploaded in a reasonable timeframe - https://www.youtube.com/user/adrewbart/videos

Here's the full version. It'll probably be Thursday before I have time to watch the whole thing myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taDkqEcMI4M

e- David Whitaker spending three weeks in Europe courting service recently is interesting to note.

Harvestman

Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 am

cvgComair wrote:
As for the parking space #42, I have seen DHL using it as recently as March, perhaps we are thinking of different spots? It doesn't seem like DHL is using 47/48 anymore (the line for 49 is gone), but it is kind of hard to see from the taxiways. This is the map of gates I have down for the DHL complex, not sure about which A/B gates are actually in use at the moment, but it should be pretty close:
btw, the layout in the Amazon area is filler, I have no idea what the final layout will be

My mistake - 47, 48 and 49 are the ones no longer in use. LEJ is at 4A every night, and with Building 5 reload right across from spot 3, there's really not much room for any other flights to come in. Even during peak season this past winter, those spots remained in use for dolly storage only.

Half the fun of tug driving is making sure there's enough clearance for BRU to get out of spot 2 in the mornings (typically around 5) - it usually requires some fast-paced hauling of dollies over to spot 1. On particularly bad nights, the same thing is necessary for LEJ to get into 4A...

As for the A/B gates, here are the ones typically in use:

4A (as mentioned)
10A
37A
43A
43B (don't think I have ever seen a full-sized jet in 43)
50A
51A

DeltaRules

Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm

One thing not mentioned in previous discussion about the Columbus Metropolitan Club is Nardone thinks a SkyClub is possible in CMH's future and might go hand-in-hand with TATL service.

cvgComair

Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Harvestman wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

My mistake - 47, 48 and 49 are the ones no longer in use. LEJ is at 4A every night, and with Building 5 reload right across from spot 3, there's really not much room for any other flights to come in. Even during peak season this past winter, those spots remained in use for dolly storage only.

Half the fun of tug driving is making sure there's enough clearance for BRU to get out of spot 2 in the mornings (typically around 5) - it usually requires some fast-paced hauling of dollies over to spot 1. On particularly bad nights, the same thing is necessary for LEJ to get into 4A...

As for the A/B gates, here are the ones typically in use:

4A (as mentioned)
10A
37A
43A
43B (don't think I have ever seen a full-sized jet in 43)
50A
51A

Awesome!

cvgComair

Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm

I also heard that CMH-MKE has been suspended by OneJet until the 28th. Their operations with Contour are an absolute mess, I sure hope UE is able to fix their day to day ops ASAP.

Somewhat concerning is that CVG/CLE-KEF are no longer bookable for the winter. Not sure if they are still trying to work out scheduling or if it will be going seasonal. I also saw that PIT has been downgraded to an A320, so it is possible that the US3 plus rising oil prices are creating difficulties for their operation model.

As an aside, G4 is making a drastic cutdown of many of its bigger markets. CVG/IND/PIT/LCK/CLE/BWI/MSY/AUS/JAX are seeing some drastic reductions in the fall and winter. For CVG, it is RDU/PVD/BWI and Florida being hit the hardest, while most of the other routes maintain their frequency. I have a feeling that this is pilot/aircraft related or they plan on trying new winter seasonal routes, but pretty dramatic nonetheless. I hope DL takes advantage and goes ahead with some adds such as MSY/JAX.
Last edited by cvgComair on Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyguy89

Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

April pax numbers are in for CVG.

April is up a whopping 24.23% YOY.
Pax traffic is up 17.88% YTD.

Pretty huge numbers, though after next month when WN will start being included in the baseline we'll likely see these numbers moderate.

http://cvgairport.com/about/news

cvgComair

Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 pm

flyguy89 wrote:
April pax numbers are in for CVG.

April is up a whopping 24.23% YOY.
Pax traffic is up 17.88% YTD.

Pretty huge numbers, though after next month when WN will start being included in the baseline we'll likely see these numbers moderate.

http://cvgairport.com/about/news

Cargo is also up 41%, pretty impressive!

Growth will somewhat taper off, but the spike to 24% is certainly higher than I expected. WN is only carrying about 30-45,000 pax through CVG a month, given April was up 148,024 pax YOY, the vast majority of this growth is being driven by DL and G4 (F9 is flat YOY at the moment). I would estimate 17-18% YOY increase by the end of 2018, giving 9.1-9.3 million pax.

Midwestindy

Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

cvgComair wrote:
I also heard that CMH-MKE has been suspended by OneJet until the 28th. Their operations with Contour are an absolute mess, I sure hope UE is able to fix their day to day ops ASAP.

Somewhat concerning is that CVG/CLE-KEF are no longer bookable for the winter. Not sure if they are still trying to work out scheduling or if it will be going seasonal. I also saw that PIT has been downgraded to an A320, so it is possible that the US3 plus rising oil prices are creating difficulties for their operation model.

As an aside, G4 is making a drastic cutdown of many of its bigger markets. CVG/IND/PIT/LCK/CLE/BWI/MSY/AUS/JAX are seeing some drastic reductions in the fall and winter. For CVG, it is RDU/PVD/BWI and Florida being hit the hardest, while most of the other routes maintain their frequency. I have a feeling that this is pilot/aircraft related or they plan on trying new winter seasonal routes, but pretty dramatic nonetheless. I hope DL takes advantage and goes ahead with some adds such as MSY/JAX.

I don't think the cuts are too bad, G4 is losing basically 10% of its fleet from YE17-YE18 so it would be extremely hard for them to grow from any of those stations. We will still see some new routes though.

flyPIT

Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Somewhat concerning is that CVG/CLE-KEF are no longer bookable for the winter. Not sure if they are still trying to work out scheduling or if it will be going seasonal.

I don't see how these can be axed or going seasonal inside two years considering WOW received subsidies from both cities? Unless of course WOW returns those subsidies.
FLYi

cvgComair

Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 pm

flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
Somewhat concerning is that CVG/CLE-KEF are no longer bookable for the winter. Not sure if they are still trying to work out scheduling or if it will be going seasonal.

I don't see how these can be axed or going seasonal inside two years considering WOW received subsidies from both cities? Unless of course WOW returns those subsidies.

I don't believe WOW received subsidies at CVG, only waived gate/landing fees.

Springs1816

Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 am

cvgComair wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I don't believe WOW received subsidies at CVG, only waived gate/landing fees.

I too don't think it was a subsidy but the waived gate/landing fees plus marketing but to get those I think they had to do it for two years. I think for European destinations you had to keep a minimum of four flights a week. I'll have to see where I saw that. I hope it doesn't go seasonal but I could see it happening long term since most of the traffic so far is just going to Iceland and not connecting on.

Very impressive numbers for April. I think with G4 it's a temporary slow down with all those MDs retiring. Just trying to balance the flying among all markets until they get some replacement aircraft. Time will tell.

Edit:. It's up to $400K a year in marketing plus the waived counter/gate/landing fees for minimum 3 flights a week or 150 annual departing flights. They can get this deal for up to 24 months then the service has to stand on it's own.

NoTime

Thu May 17, 2018 12:40 am

DeltaRules wrote:
One thing not mentioned in previous discussion about the Columbus Metropolitan Club is Nardone thinks a SkyClub is possible in CMH's future and might go hand-in-hand with TATL service.

Now that's certainly exciting news. I might have to switch allegiances in the future...

boscmh

Thu May 17, 2018 5:32 am

Looks like CMH-SAT on F9 will be announced tomorrow along with a slew of other destinations from SAT. Maybe someone else can do a deeper dive into the schedule for frequency/start dates but a cursory search of F9's site led me to find it operating 2x weekly in September (Wednesdays and Saturdays)

Midwestindy

Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am

boscmh wrote:
Looks like CMH-SAT on F9 will be announced tomorrow along with a slew of other destinations from SAT. Maybe someone else can do a deeper dive into the schedule for frequency/start dates but a cursory search of F9's site led me to find it operating 2x weekly in September (Wednesdays and Saturdays)

First flight looks to be August 15th, departing CMH at 8:22 pm and arriving at SAT at 10:24 PM, the SAT inbound arrives at 7:22 PM. Wednesday and Saturday schedules appear to be the same.

DeltaRules

Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Good find, guys, and it's already bookable. It's interesting they're throwing so much into the same general area, with AUS and now SAT. I don't have much interest in going to AUS (and there might be some bad blood between the two markets from the Columbus side if Anthony Precourt gets his way), but liked SAT when I was there and might take F9 up on that.

The alternatives to the nonstop, though...(whistles)...

Robert1010

Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 pm

F9 also announced CLE-SAT ! That was un expected

cvgComair

Fri May 18, 2018 2:10 am

Just checked with WOW customer service and they indicated that they are still working on the fall/winter schedules. It sounds like CVG/CLE-KEF should still be operating year-round.

flyguy89

Fri May 18, 2018 3:29 am

cvgComair wrote:
Just checked with WOW customer service and they indicated that they are still working on the fall/winter schedules. It sounds like CVG/CLE-KEF should still be operating year-round.

Good to hear. Wouldn't have been too disappointed even if it was seasonal though. Summer ULCC service to Europe coupled with DL's year-round service would still be a pretty strong offering, but year-round WW flights are obviously better. I'm hoping next that CVG can land a summer seasonal 2x weekly flight to FRA on Condor...then my wish list would be complete!

masseybrown

Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 am

cvgComair wrote:
Somewhat concerning is that CVG/CLE-KEF are no longer bookable for the winter.

WW last August announced that CLE-KEF would be seasonal; FI is the one that plans year-round service, reducing its schedule from five to four flights weekly in the winter months.

Edit: I can't find it in print that the flight was intended to be seasonal, but I *think* that has been the general impression in the CLE thread.

cvgComair

Sat May 19, 2018 11:35 am

According to this article, Atlas Air plans on ordering some more B747-8F's. With rising fuel prices, I would imagine many of the 747-400's will be replaced by 777's/748's. Not surprisingly, AeroLogic has been operating quite a few flights out of CVG recently.
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... argo-surge

CVG-XNA has been removed once again, not sure what to make of the route unless I can get a response from Delta directly. Though, my guess is that DL is done with the route. Hopefully OneJet is paying attention!

boscmh

Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm

The new (highly detailed) info packet for CRAA's May board meeting is now posted online. Lots of fun stats to dive into. Some of the highlights,

Airport Authority staff have met at airline HQs in recent weeks continuing efforts to gain nonstop service to SEA and SFO

For April, CMH was up 6.3% to 670k pax. Every airine except Frontier posted gains and NK is already twice as big as F9. For the YTD CMH is up 6.5%

At LCK G4 continues to grow up 34% for April. Cargo is also up 30% with well over half now being international. AirBridgeCargo looks like they had a very solid first month as well

Full packet here, https://columbusairports.com/storage/pr ... -final.pdf

DeltaRules

Mon May 21, 2018 6:27 pm

boscmh wrote:
The new (highly detailed) info packet for CRAA's May board meeting is now posted online. Lots of fun stats to dive into. Some of the highlights,

Airport Authority staff have met at airline HQs in recent weeks continuing efforts to gain nonstop service to SEA and SFO

For April, CMH was up 6.3% to 670k pax. Every airine except Frontier posted gains and NK is already twice as big as F9. For the YTD CMH is up 6.5%

At LCK G4 continues to grow up 34% for April. Cargo is also up 30% with well over half now being international. AirBridgeCargo looks like they had a very solid first month as well

Interesting to note that, despite being a distant fourth in passengers carried, UA has the highest load factor by a mile over DL (88.3%->81.9%).

Speaking of, the two service providers CRAA has visited/will visit regarding SFO have to be UA and AS, right? SEA would probably be some combination of DL, AS, F9, NK, and maybe WN (in that order).

brooklynchris13

Tue May 22, 2018 1:13 am

DeltaRules wrote:
boscmh wrote:

Interesting to note that, despite being a distant fourth in passengers carried, UA has the highest load factor by a mile over DL (88.3%->81.9%).

Speaking of, the two service providers CRAA has visited/will visit regarding SFO have to be UA and AS, right? SEA would probably be some combination of DL, AS, F9, NK, and maybe WN (in that order).

Delta and BOS, thank you for the posts. Great to see this continued growth at CMH, should be very interesting to see where things end up for the year. I hope the person who commented about UA being irrelevant at CMH or some such thing caught the load factor numbers. I would imagine they have to be printing money with that (even though I know yields and loads are not the same). As for F9, the rise of sprit and their collapse is the greatest WTF moment in CMH aviation. They could have had all of the NK traffic to themselves, but they squandered the opportunity and NK has come in and seized it. I am a big AA fan, but I think CMH is going to really become a 3 way battle between DL, WN, and NK, which sort of makes sense given their target audiences. I do not think JetBlue is headed here and I have to confess I have my doubts about AS. The potential SEA flight may well be NK, hopefully not F9. But we shall see. All in all, good times and nice to see after the lean years.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

DeltaRules

Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 am

brooklynchris13 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
boscmh wrote:

Delta and BOS, thank you for the posts. Great to see this continued growth at CMH, should be very interesting to see where things end up for the year. I hope the person who commented about UA being irrelevant at CMH or some such thing caught the load factor numbers. I would imagine they have to be printing money with that (even though I know yields and loads are not the same). As for F9, the rise of sprit and their collapse is the greatest WTF moment in CMH aviation. They could have had all of the NK traffic to themselves, but they squandered the opportunity and NK has come in and seized it. I am a big AA fan, but I think CMH is going to really become a 3 way battle between DL, WN, and NK, which sort of makes sense given their target audiences. I do not think JetBlue is headed here and I have to confess I have my doubts about AS. The potential SEA flight may well be NK, hopefully not F9. But we shall see. All in all, good times and nice to see after the lean years.

I've wondered about AS and SFO because of their purchase of VX and the route system they inherited as a result. They're now operating to both SFO and SEA from IND, so it wouldn't be unheard of in the neighborhood.

WN's got a little bit of a network from SFO but I've long thought of them as more of an OAK airline (case in point, CMH-OAK). I'd imagine the SFO cities all also have service to OAK, but they all seem to either be WN hubs/focus cities or west coast cities. They do run MKE-SFO seasonally, though, so maybe?

CMHMarc787

Tue May 22, 2018 2:18 pm

While UA has the load factors, they still heavily lag in the frequency department, and there does not appear to be any move to increase.

As for my thoughts (for what they're worth), I still think AS would be the optimal choice for SFO and SEA (with even SAN as a remote possibility).

I think F9 has destroyed their possibilities with the entrance of NK...even though they are making interesting destination choices right now (I never figured SAT would get nonstop service).

A side note re: NK - I just had my first experience flying with them and was quite pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. Customer service was nothing like what I had heard, flights were good - and the flight attendants really friendly and nice; overall was a really good experience.

cvgComair

Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 pm

DHL is opening office space in the old Comair headquarters, looks like they are taking 3 floors. It also says that they are planning on more expansion. I know DHL is allowed to expand into the land immediately to the north and south, that would give them about 90 parking spots total.

How interesting that their North America headquarters will be in the exact same building as Amazon Air's headquarters. I don't think that is a coincidence :-). http://www.nkytribune.com/2018/05/dhl-t ... ee-floors/

cvgComair

Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 pm

CVG has also significantly delayed the master plan schedule by about 6 months:
Prepare Aviation Activity Forecasts – Under FAA Review
Inventory Existing Conditions – Spring 2018
Develop Facility Requirements/Needs – Spring 2018
Develop Passenger Terminal Plan – Summer 2018
Develop Airfield and Roadway/Parking Plans – Summer 2018
Prepare Financial Feasibility Plan – Fall 2018
Create Implementation Plan – Fall 2018
Evaluate Environmental Implications – Fall 2018
Master Plan Reports – Spring 2019

All this delaying makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes at DHL/Amazon. The amount of time they have been planning is crazy, in total they are scheduled to have worked on it for over 2 years. Given the recent purchases of land, I have a feeling the facility is going to be even bigger than was originally announced.

ADrum23

Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm

cvgComair wrote:

All this delaying makes me wonder what is going on behind the scenes at DHL/Amazon. The amount of time they have been planning is crazy, in total they are scheduled to have worked on it for over 2 years. Given the recent purchases of land, I have a feeling the facility is going to be even bigger than was originally announced.

Three things I will be looking for in this plan.

1. Due to the increased traffic from DHL/Amazon, will the east-west runway proposal be brought back? Or will widening the existing runways be enough?

2. Will they still consider unifying the concourses into one (expect bigger now that CVG pax numbers are going up)?

3. What will they do with the existing rental car lots once the CONRAC is finished? Perhaps replacing the hotel over there could be in the cards?

cvgComair

Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

1. Due to the increased traffic from DHL/Amazon, will the east-west runway proposal be brought back? Or will widening the existing runways be enough?

2. Will they still consider unifying the concourses into one (expect bigger now that CVG pax numbers are going up)?

3. What will they do with the existing rental car lots once the CONRAC is finished? Perhaps replacing the hotel over there could be in the cards?

I am also interested to see what the runway/taxiway plan is going forward. The operation flow is heavily optimized for passenger traffic and is going to create some crazy long taxi times from much of the Amazon facility. Another east/west runway would help significantly, especially since 18R/36L is kind of short for widebody takeoffs. With noise considerations, departures to the west minimize the populations affected by noise. The airport is also going to get a ton of complaints once they start up 3 simultaneous arrivals on 18L/C/R, especially when the bulk of the traffic being large widebodies.

I also want to see what the plans to handle increasing O&D passengers are. As it stands, there are not enough ticket counters, the security area is too congested, and there is not enough parking.

jtwall

Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 pm

cvgComair wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

I am also interested to see what the runway/taxiway plan is going forward. The operation flow is heavily optimized for passenger traffic and is going to create some crazy long taxi times from much of the Amazon facility. Another east/west runway would help significantly, especially since 18R/36L is kind of short for widebody takeoffs. With noise considerations, departures to the west minimize the populations affected by noise. The airport is also going to get a ton of complaints once they start up 3 simultaneous arrivals on 18L/C/R, especially when the bulk of the traffic being large widebodies.

I also want to see what the plans to handle increasing O&D passengers are. As it stands, there are not enough ticket counters, the security area is too congested, and there is not enough parking.

As far as the security area goes, didn't they create the new CVG security area to be "expandable"? Just from the looks of it...it appears there is a lot of empty space on either side of the current checkpoints. Obviously, the upfront cost of adding additional lanes may not be cheap - but not as expensive if they had to build additional space for it.

As you said earlier, it will be interesting to see what is done with the current rental car lots once the CONRAC is finished. I wonder if they might expand parking there.

NoTime

Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 pm

brooklynchris13 wrote:
As for F9, the rise of sprit and their collapse is the greatest WTF moment in CMH aviation. They could have had all of the NK traffic to themselves, but they squandered the opportunity and NK has come in and seized it.

Yeah, I just can't figure this out. I mean, I' m sure F9 has plenty of number-crunchers - at least as many as NK - and yet they didn't see the opportunities that were there?

Very surprising... very odd.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos