hynithuchi

Re: Swiss aviation thread - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:38 am

I doubt the old "outdated mushrooms" will be removed anytime soon. I read an interview by Mr Schneider( CEO GVA Airport ) a few months ago in which he stated that the possibility of an additional satellite was examined to increase the number of gates Don't ask me for an exact reference, but I think it was in AeroTelegraph ( in German ). Don't forget, the underground corridor to the 4th satellite was built in 1968 but never used as the satellite was never built due to lack of funds, so the temptation for a quick solution could be there. As for the East Wing, I agree, better late than never.

SR380

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
No, as far as know, it is supposed to be completed in autumn 2020 only. It's a real pity it is delayed this much, GVA could badly do with a widebody terminal. In fact, originally, this East Wing was supposed to be operational in 2014 already, at least the Airport Manager said so at the press conference when the project was disclosed around 2010.

Well at least a new building is being built, finally. Years ago I remember all the great talks at GVA about building a new terminal during the '90s that of course never happened and the airport got stuck with that temporaty building of the '70s (?) to serve long-haul flights, followed years later by an extention of the check-in level. I wonder if one day they'll consider removing the outdated mushrooms?

A few days ago I met a friend's friend at a party. He is working for Geneva Airport himself, and told me that the satellite are going to be refurbished, once l'Aile Est complete. Then, they will concentrate on a "new" check in terminal. Initially, it was supposed to be on top of the freeway A1, in front of the current one. This project have been called a "white elephant", and something far more modest is schedule. I didn't get more details. GVA doesn't communicate as much as I would like them to. The web site use tl be full of information regarding building and construction.

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am

hynithuchi wrote:
Don't forget, the underground corridor to the 4th satellite was built in 1968 but never used as the satellite was never built due to lack of funds,

Really? First time I hear about that. Where should it have been built?

SR380 wrote:
told me that the satellite are going to be refurbished, once l'Aile Est complete. Then, they will concentrate on a "new" check in terminal. Initially, it was supposed to be on top of the freeway A1, in front of the current one. This project have been called a "white elephant", and something far more modest is schedule.

Interesting. So either they are going to reconfigure the current check in area or perhaps built something new on top of the parkings in front of the current terminal.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@46.2302954, ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's sure the airport has changed a lot during the last five decades: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6e/6b/5b/6e6b ... 19181e.jpg

SR380

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:17 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:
Don't forget, the underground corridor to the 4th satellite was built in 1968 but never used as the satellite was never built due to lack of funds,

Really? First time I hear about that. Where should it have been built?

If I am not mistaken in front of the current Aile Est. The airport as it was buying built was a real financial burden for Geneva. IATA, which is now in the "former" Swissair building use to stay at the top floor of the main terminal. Thanks to their financial contribution, the terminal got finished on time, and according to plan.

SR380 wrote:
told me that the satellite are going to be refurbished, once l'Aile Est complete. Then, they will concentrate on a "new" check in terminal. Initially, it was supposed to be on top of the freeway A1, in front of the current one. This project have been called a "white elephant", and something far more modest is schedule.

Interesting. So either they are going to reconfigure the current check in area or perhaps built something new on top of the parkings in front of the current terminal.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@46.2302954, ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's sure the airport has changed a lot during the last five decades: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6e/6b/5b/6e6b ... 19181e.jpg

I have been told that they plan to build on told of the existing one. I don't see how is that possible. Two levels of checking? What about arrival? ZRH managed to upgrade their facilities while still using it. Must be doable.

hynithuchi

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm

SpaceshipDC10
When you get to satellite 40, there is an extension of the corridor going the the planned satellite 8 ( the existing ones used to be called 2,4 and 6 ). Maybe they have camouflaged the door by now but I saw it built and lit up myself about 30 years ago. That time it was used to store unused seats and other material. It probably could be activated although I think building the satellite as the original plan was in 1968, it would be more of an obstacle on the ramp than an mprovement.

runway23

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:00 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
SpaceshipDC10
When you get to satellite 40, there is an extension of the corridor going the the planned satellite 8 ( the existing ones used to be called 2,4 and 6 ). Maybe they have camouflaged the door by now but I saw it built and lit up myself about 30 years ago. That time it was used to store unused seats and other material. It probably could be activated although I think building the satellite as the original plan was in 1968, it would be more of an obstacle on the ramp than an mprovement.

As far as I know the plans are to build in the other direction i.e. towards what is called Satellite '10' built in 2008 - I suppose that infrastructure would be demolished as otherwise there doesn't seem to be any room there - unless they build a round satellite after that.

Interestingly enough the PSIA airport plans actually mention new satellites in plural - I do wonder how many they could potentially build - knowing that the walk is already quite long to satellite 10 and anything at that point would be near to or opposite Terminal 2. The existing plans also call for moving some business jets that are parked in that area to where the old grass runway was, unless a new French sector is built over there. It does seem like there isn't anything really set in stone yet or at least publicly announced, which is regrettable.

MoonC

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Don't tell me you guys have never seen this?

Check point 10 and 11.

-

Now these were a little more hidden, so I don't blame you.

"2016 – 2011 / Etude de faisabilité / Transformation et agrandissement des Satellites 20, 30, 40 / Genève Aéroport / Genève © William Cyr Lamy pour Christian Dupraz Architectes"

Source: http://www.christiandupraz.ch/?p=2879

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:35 pm

SR380 wrote:
I have been told that they plan to build on told of the existing one. I don't see how is that possible. Two levels of checking? What about arrival? ZRH managed to upgrade their facilities while still using it. Must be doable.

Don't know, it's so tight and crowded at GVA, everywhere, departure, checkin, arrivals. At MDW they moved the terminal on the other of avenue to make room for more gates and to enlarge it accordingly. Don't know what's possible to do in that space between the tarmac and the highway, knowing there's a railway line below ground.

https://www.google.fr/maps/place/Chicag ... 87.7521884

hynithuchi wrote:
SpaceshipDC10

That would locate it behind position 15, or so, and would not help spacewise on the apron. They are better off with the hard stand positions than trying to add the fourth sattelite that what thought of when widebodies were not common.

https://www.google.fr/maps/@46.2331953, ... a=!3m1!1e3

MoonC

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:46 pm

The new sattelite will be located towards point 11 on my map above.

SR380

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:13 pm

MoonC wrote:

Check point 10 and 11.

-

Now these were a little more hidden, so I don't blame you.

"2016 – 2011 / Etude de faisabilité / Transformation et agrandissement des Satellites 20, 30, 40 / Genève Aéroport / Genève © William Cyr Lamy pour Christian Dupraz Architectes"

Source: http://www.christiandupraz.ch/?p=2879

Thank you so much for the visual! I never find those, and I spend quite some time looking. I just hope that in the end, the all airport will look like one connected building. At the moment, it's a non practical patchwork. Please fill free to post any of those pictures if you have some :-)

On the otherside of the Röstigraben, it seems the people managing Zurich have solutions. After opening pier E almost 20 years ago, rebuilding pier B and the checkin terminal on site, it seems that pier A is up for a rebuild as well:

https://www.flightforum.ch/board/topic/ ... erminal-1/

https://abouttravel.ch/industrie-des-vo ... -aeroport/

hynithuchi

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 am

Pretty ambitious considering the available space. The satellites look quite interesting but obvously bigger than the current ones. Wouldn't they require enlarging the TWY Outer towards the runway in order to have enough space for large aircraft ? And as far as I know, the separation between today's TWY and the runway is already the minimum allowed safetywise. Could it not be possible to relocate the current cargo building to the Aeroclub side, using the cargo terminal structure to convert it into a passenger terminal and build a rail link to the main terminal along the new underground customs road ? Too much immagination ? :) Whatever they'll do, it will be a patchwork of building sites and will stir up some noise in the Republic ! Not surprised the Airport Authorities keep rather quiet about it and don't want to communicate too much after what happened to the East Wing project.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:22 pm

MoonC wrote:

Check point 10 and 11.

Point 13 shows a new checking area built over the highway. So, are they going to do it or not?

Also the plan don't make any reference to the new East Wing being built.

MoonC

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:18 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
MoonC wrote:

Check point 10 and 11.

Point 13 shows a new checking area built over the highway. So, are they going to do it or not?

Also the plan don't make any reference to the new East Wing being built.

Point 13 is the one referenced as "Cointrin Vision", but the plans have been reviewed by the actual management of the airport and while something will probably happen on that side, it won't be as big as what was previously thought of.

MoonC

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
Pretty ambitious considering the available space. The satellites look quite interesting but obvously bigger than the current ones. Wouldn't they require enlarging the TWY Outer towards the runway in order to have enough space for large aircraft ? And as far as I know, the separation between today's TWY and the runway is already the minimum allowed safetywise. Could it not be possible to relocate the current cargo building to the Aeroclub side, using the cargo terminal structure to convert it into a passenger terminal and build a rail link to the main terminal along the new underground customs road ? Too much immagination ? :) Whatever they'll do, it will be a patchwork of building sites and will stir up some noise in the Republic ! Not surprised the Airport Authorities keep rather quiet about it and don't want to communicate too much after what happened to the East Wing project.

Yes. Too much imagination.

Of couse the plans for "Cointrin Vision" have been reviewed and changed. These images are dated March 2nd, 2015. So some things did change. But that was the initial plan.

Edit: Here is the link to the .pdf where I found these. French only: http://www.atcr-aig.com/uploads/Docs_pdf/documentation-PSIA/Presentation_Ferney_161214.pdf

Little disclaimer...no, I am not part of any of these associations anti-development of the airport. These are just the public files I found on the subject.

Panagiotis

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:09 pm

SR380 wrote:
A few days ago I met a friend's friend at a party. He is working for Geneva Airport himself, and told me that the satellite are going to be refurbished, once l'Aile Est complete.

The satellite 30 and 40 have been refurbished this year, at least for the inside part. No more departures were made on 40 gates at first and then 30, but the position where still used for parking planes and boarding them by bus. Satellite 20 really needs refurbishment ...

About the "secret tunnel". 2 years that I work at the airport and I've never seen something showing it like doors, or maybe I need to be more carefull... Anyway I don't think it will be a good idea because it will give 4 new positions but remove a lot more positions that are available now.(Positions 60)

hynithuchi

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:32 am

The "secret tunnel" does exist, believe me, but the door to it is probably no longer noticeable as that area has undergone quite some modifications since it was originally built. Anyway, I agree, it would not me much good as it ends approximagtely at the level of pos.15 and would probably reduce rather than increase stand and gate capacity.

RJ100

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:51 am

easyJet is basing a 12th aircraft in Basel as per end of March 2019. This comes just after stationing two additional aircraft in 2018.

The new aircraft will be an A-320 and will mainly be used to increase frequencies on existing routes. It will temporarily operate between Christmas and beginning of January 19 as well.
none

Blerg

Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:10 pm

RJ100 wrote:
easyJet is basing a 12th aircraft in Basel as per end of March 2019. This comes just after stationing two additional aircraft in 2018.

The new aircraft will be an A-320 and will mainly be used to increase frequencies on existing routes. It will temporarily operate between Christmas and beginning of January 19 as well.

Do we know which routes will be increased? I am hoping for a 4th weekly to BEG!

DALCE

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am

The next CS3 has been delivered. HB-JCS / msn 55045 arrived in ZRH on DEC 8th in the evening and is ready to be activated in the fleet as per DEC 12th.
This leaves 1x CS3 + 2x CS1 to be delivered until the complete LX C-Series order has been fulfilled.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

phofmannsair

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 pm

DALCE wrote:
The next CS3 has been delivered. HB-JCS / msn 55045 arrived in ZRH on DEC 8th in the evening and is ready to be activated in the fleet as per DEC 12th.
This leaves 1x CS3 + 2x CS1 to be delivered until the complete LX C-Series order has been fulfilled.

Any information on when the last 2 A220-100 (CS1) will be delivered? Last one was delivered more than 18 months ago (May 2016) !!!

DALCE

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:24 am

I am wondering the same. Honestly I have no clue when these will be delivered.
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

SR380

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:36 pm

Not sure if this belongs here but Pilatus delivered the first PC-24 to the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... pped-pc-24

"The Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (RFDS Western Operations) took delivery of the first Pilatus PC-24 equipped with a medevac interior yesterday. Configured for patient transport, this twinjet includes beds for three patients and additional seats for medical personnel, as well as oxygen, vacuum, and power systems to ensure multi-parameter patient monitoring and support.

According to Pilatus, the interior was installed under an STC developed in partnership with Aerolite AG, a Swiss company specializing in aircraft medical interiors. The installation also includes an electric stretcher loading device, which eases loading and unloading of patients via the PC-24’s large rear cargo door.

“The Royal Flying Doctor Service Western Operations is proud to be introducing with Pilatus the first Rio Tinto Lifeflight PC-24 into service in Australia,” said RFDS CEO Rebecca Tomkinson. “The innovative aeromedical interior is…a game changer for patient outcomes and improving health care to regional and remote Australians.”

The RFDS, which is celebrating its 90th anniversary, currently has a fleet of more than 35 PC-12 turboprop singles to provide “comprehensive basic medical assistance across Australia.” Its PC-24 will be used to transport patients over longer distances in conjunction with the existing PC-12 fleet. RFDS Central Operations will take delivery of a medevac-equipped PC-24 next year, Pilatus said."

Nice to see a Swiss build jet down under!

phofmannsair

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm

SWISS will offer 5 "new" summer destinations out of Geneva from end of June 2019. Why "new"? Cause all of them are already served from GVA with Easyjet:

- Brindisi 2 weekly (fri/sun)
- Faro 3 weekly
- Mykonos 2 weekly (thu/sat)
- Alicante 3 weekly (wed/fri/sun)
- Ibiza 2 weekly (tue/fri)

https://www.swiss.com/corporate/EN/media/newsroom/press-releases/media-release-20181912

Patrick.

hynithuchi

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm

phofmannsair wrote:
SWISS will offer 5 "new" summer destinations out of Geneva from end of June 2019. Why "new"? Cause all of them are already served from GVA with Easyjet:

- Faro 3 weekly

https://www.swiss.com/corporate/EN/media/newsroom/press-releases/media-release-20181912

Patrick.

Great, exactly what GVA needs !!! Reading this you can get the impression there is an infninite potential of tourist traffic out of GVA. I suppose they'll operate these flights the same days as Easyjet does. Are they really that desperate to take them on again ? I know already which of the 2 carriers will complain they are loosing money at GVA ;)

MoonC

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:25 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
phofmannsair wrote:

- Faro 3 weekly

Patrick.

Great, exactly what GVA needs !!! Reading this you can get the impression there is an infninite potential of tourist traffic out of GVA. I suppose they'll operate these flights the same days as Easyjet does. Are they really that desperate to take them on again ? I know already which of the 2 carriers will complain they are loosing money at GVA ;)

easyJet? :duck:

phofmannsair

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Weren't they supposed to base 1 or 2 more A220 for S19 ? Cause according to the press release, six A223 and 2 A221 will be GVA-based. That's what we have already now (7 A223 and 1 A221 or am I mistaking?).

Let's wait and see if they're about to announce other destinations / frequency increases?

LONGisland89

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Has anyone else heard rumors of new LX service to ICN and KIX?

stylo777

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 pm

KIX not, but ICN is almost certain and unofficially discussed (in line with the next 77W entering the fleet next year)

DUSZRH

Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:46 pm

stylo777 wrote:
KIX not, but ICN is almost certain and unofficially discussed (in line with the next 77W entering the fleet next year)

You mean 2020?

Blerg

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 pm

KE currently operates ICN-ZAG-ZRH-ICN in winter. If LX launches it, what might KE do? Abandon the stop in Zagreb or keep it as is and hope for the best?

hynithuchi

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't think it would have a major impact on KE. KE is well established on the market and most of the traffic between ICN and ZRH is Korean origin which means the same passengers will be on a KE return flight, whether it has an intermediate stop at ZAG or not. LX will mainly concentrate on their connecting traffic through ZRH as the Swiss market alone could not support a flight with a reasonable number of frequencies although it probably has higher yields. I really think they can keep it as it is if this is their best way of making the route profitable and not worry too much about competition from LX.

stylo777

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:35 pm

I saw slides somewhere here in this or another thread showing the nonstop markets currently served or not served by LX.
ICN is ranking very high and even better than some others like India, JNB or NBO/DAR. I'm sure they did a proper market research and coordinated this within LH Group. As far as I know, all longhaul routes are coordinated between all 4 LHG hubs (FRA, MUC, ZRH and VIE).
Another interesting yet not served destination is IAD; however, being part of the JV with UA is probably steering the decision towards ICN where there is quite a potential.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:01 am

A question for those in the know: on October 24, 2001, Crossair flight #3597 crashed on approach to Zurich from Berlin Tegel. The original planned arrival on runway 14 (with ILS) was changed to runway 28 (VOR/DME) because of the incredibly strict curfew in the approach to runway 14 that is in German territory. I would imagine the curfew is still in effect; however, was runway 28 upgraded to ILS? And what training deficiencies were identified and changed for Crossair and/or Switzerland?

Along with this accident, the UPS/Bashkiri mid-air collision makes me believe the airspace at the Swiss/German border was/is fairly complicated, or at least it was in the past. Is that still the case?

LXA340

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:50 pm

Concerning a other topic, I was wondering why the SWISS LX 288 from ZRH to JNB is always departing from the D gates although all other long haul flights with occasional random exceptions depart from the E gates?

florens

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A question for those in the know: on October 24, 2001, Crossair flight #3597 crashed on approach to Zurich from Berlin Tegel. The original planned arrival on runway 14 (with ILS) was changed to runway 28 (VOR/DME) because of the incredibly strict curfew in the approach to runway 14 that is in German territory. I would imagine the curfew is still in effect; however, was runway 28 upgraded to ILS? And what training deficiencies were identified and changed for Crossair and/or Switzerland?

Along with this accident, the UPS/Bashkiri mid-air collision makes me believe the airspace at the Swiss/German border was/is fairly complicated, or at least it was in the past. Is that still the case?

Runway 28 has ILS, but uncategorised due to runway type. They use it for landings, but if visibility is below minimums, they need to switch to ILS34 or ILS14, depending on weather.
Kind regards, Florens

THY748i

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

Sorry if this has been asked before. Was just wondering why some of LX‘s A220-100/300s have their transponders on at night (if that is (part of) why AC can be tracked on FR24 et al., not too familiar with how exactly it works). Keep seeing them on FR24 just sitting around at ZRH and GVA.

runway23

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:12 am

phofmannsair wrote:
Weren't they supposed to base 1 or 2 more A220 for S19 ? Cause according to the press release, six A223 and 2 A221 will be GVA-based. That's what we have already now (7 A223 and 1 A221 or am I mistaking?).

Let's wait and see if they're about to announce other destinations / frequency increases?

2 CS100s and 5 CS300s based right now plus one spare. I had been hearing about 2 extra aircraft not 1, not sure if they intend to change how they use the spare aircraft or not - last summer it was useful as planes kept going tech every day basically.

kimimm19

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:47 am

LXA340 wrote:
Concerning a other topic, I was wondering why the SWISS LX 288 from ZRH to JNB is always departing from the D gates although all other long haul flights with occasional random exceptions depart from the E gates?

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I would think it's the odd flight out due to space issue... When arriving at 21:30 from the UK on a regular basis, E is surprisingly full.

LXA340

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:46 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
LXA340 wrote:

I don't pretend to be an expert, but I would think it's the odd flight out due to space issue... When arriving at 21:30 from the UK on a regular basis, E is surprisingly full.

It can't be that as there are always spare gates available at the E gates in th evenings at least 1/4 if not evne close to 1/2 of the gates are empty. The E gates do have space issues from the morning until early afternoon with the first and 2nd long haul arrival and departure wave of LX + the Asian and US airlines.

panamair

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Is LX having some operational issues with the A333 fleet these few days? LX18 to EWR was cancelled on Thursday 20 Dec, and today 22 Dec LX14 to JFK is cancelled as well....unfortunate time for cancellations given the holiday travel rush...

YangFeng

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 pm

LONGisland89 wrote:
Has anyone else heard rumors of new LX service to ICN and KIX?

Yes, have heard them both. ICN is almost certain and has been mentioned publicly by the CEO as the most likely new route. KIX is being looked at, but I don't think they will end up flying there and instead upgauge TYO with the 77W from 2020, possibly to HND instead of NRT if/when they get the slot.

hynithuchi

Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:01 am

According to the GVA spotters website ( dpts.org) Qeshm Air ( 2B) will startd operating a weekly A320 service on 05FEB19 between IKA and GVA. How can they get around the problems caused by the sanctions imposed on Iran ? I believe IR has been trying to resume GVA ops for the last few years but fuel supply and bank settlement problems have prevented them from doing so. Has anyone an explanations as to why 2B won't face the same obstacles ?

SR380

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:08 am

hynithuchi wrote:
According to the GVA spotters website ( dpts.org) Qeshm Air ( 2B) will startd operating a weekly A320 service on 05FEB19 between IKA and GVA. How can they get around the problems caused by the sanctions imposed on Iran ? I believe IR has been trying to resume GVA ops for the last few years but fuel supply and bank settlement problems have prevented them from doing so. Has anyone an explanations as to why 2B won't face the same obstacles ?

Iran Air flight use to stop in Belgrade for fuel. Might be the same. I think they stop flying mainly because of fleet shortages. What aircraft 2B will use on this route?

hynithuchi

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 am

SR380 wrote:
hynithuchi wrote:

Iran Air flight use to stop in Belgrade for fuel. Might be the same. I think they stop flying mainly because of fleet shortages. What aircraft 2B will use on this route?

According to the spotters site, they will be using an A320, so obviously they won't be able to operate with return fuel. But I think if they need an intermediate stop for refuelling, they would also want to commercialise it and and not request slots with a non-stop schedule which seems to be the case ( btw flight supposed to operate on TUE ).

PhilInBRN

Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Regarding new destinations to be served by LX, in the Swiss aviation forum I posted an analysis of passenger figures as publicised by FOCA for 2017. ICN is by far the most popular long-haul destination from ZRH for transfer pax. Calculation of these figures was done by me subtracting the number of pax using direct flights (e.g. KE918) from the total number of pax with final destination ICN. For 2017, an average of 108 passengers per day transferred from ZRH via another hub to ICN. In Q1 to Q3 of 2018 that figure is down slightly to 96 indirect pax per day.
Have a look at the following graph (be aware that the figure for NBO is potentially distorted as the LX flight does ZRH-DAR-NBO-ZRH thus showing ZRH-DAR-NBO pax as indirect):

Another hint as to which destinations could potentially be added in the future is offered by an analysis of PDEW to destinations which were unserved by any airline from ZRH in 2017. Keep in mind that CMB, DEN and EZE have since been added by WK as new long-haul destinations in 2018. Of the remaining destinations, I can see TPE and MEX as most likely destinations to be added in the future but not necessarily by LX. Yields to Denpasar are in my opinion too low to warrant non-stop service by WK.

On another note, according to a user in the Swiss aviation forum, the former Air Berlin (Belair) HB-IOP will be added to Edelweiss' fleet as HB-JJN in 2019. The aircraft will join from Laudamotion where is is currently registered as OE-LOG. The 10th A320 will be used primarily as spare aircraft and also to add flights to new destinations such as TIA and KLX.

Btw, does anybody know when exactly the first A320NEOs will join the Swiss fleet? I can't find further information on any of the known Swiss fleet overview sites.

HBChris

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:18 pm

PhilInBRN wrote:
Btw, does anybody know when exactly the first A320NEOs will join the Swiss fleet? I can't find further information on any of the known Swiss fleet overview sites.

There has not been much information about that. But I saw fall 2019 mentioned once or twice (e.g. https://www.aerotelegraph.com/a340-von- ... -interieur German only, last sentence). I think I also read somewhere that they will only get two frames in 2019 (not sure though). What has been communicated is, that they'll get 15 A320/321neos from 2019 to 2022 and another 10 between 2023 and 2024.

Blerg

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:00 pm

hynithuchi wrote:

They already use BEG as a fuel stop for their HAM flights. I am sure GVA will be the same.

hynithuchi

Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:42 am

You're probably right, although it doesn't make the flight very attractive. Anyway, it will be very difficult to sell anything in Europe unless they'll change their website: even the English version of their booking page is in Farsi only, unless of course I couldn't find it. This may be ok for the Iranian diaspora, but for Europeans it could prove a problem.

Blerg

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:55 pm

hynithuchi wrote:
You're probably right, although it doesn't make the flight very attractive. Anyway, it will be very difficult to sell anything in Europe unless they'll change their website: even the English version of their booking page is in Farsi only, unless of course I couldn't find it. This may be ok for the Iranian diaspora, but for Europeans it could prove a problem.

I think most Iranian airlines sell their flights through agencies so they don't really need an English version of the website. Without being part of the international banking system it would be very difficult to get money through online sales.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:01 am

Please continue in next year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411893

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos