Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 pm

hisham wrote:
There’s a Royal Jordanian jet at BOS now. Any idea why?

Probably a diversion. Must be a great find for BOS planespotters.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 pm

The DL flight to LAS is an odd one to me. I honestly don’t much about the LAS market, but my assumption is that it’s largely leisure travel. The average fares don’t seem too high. It just seems like there are better things Delta could do with a 738. On the other hand, it’s probably a dot they have to connect if Boston is an “important city” or hub or whatever, and they aren’t going up against AA or UA on it, unlike Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte etc..
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 am

I saw the RJ leave in the early afternoon
 
airbazar
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 am

tlecam wrote:
The DL flight to LAS is an odd one to me. I honestly don’t much about the LAS market, but my assumption is that it’s largely leisure travel.

I think that's a misconception. Vegas is a gigantic convention destination. It's not by coincidence that B6 has Mint in the BOS-LAS route.
 
tysmith95
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 am

tlecam wrote:
The average fares don’t seem too high.


The average fares from BOS to OHR are pretty low, but that's not much of a leisure market. Same with BOS to LGA after Jetblue entered.
 
FGITD
Posts: 2013
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:27 am

NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:45 pm

FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.


Well that was cryptic. Any more details to share....?
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:18 pm

FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.

Any more info on which airline and when/ what schedule?
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 pm

tlecam wrote:
The DL flight to LAS is an odd one to me. I honestly don’t much about the LAS market, but my assumption is that it’s largely leisure travel. The average fares don’t seem too high. It just seems like there are better things Delta could do with a 738. On the other hand, it’s probably a dot they have to connect if Boston is an “important city” or hub or whatever, and they aren’t going up against AA or UA on it, unlike Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte etc..


I remember back in the day DL flew L-1011s between Boston and Montreal. Now, the whole Canadian market has pretty much been ceded to their own flag carriers. Why is that? I know the loads are great, mostly because the planes are small. But from Tristars to props...seems like BOS-YUL went backwards, not forwards.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 pm

tlecam wrote:
The DL flight to LAS is an odd one to me. I honestly don’t much about the LAS market, but my assumption is that it’s largely leisure travel. The average fares don’t seem too high. It just seems like there are better things Delta could do with a 738. On the other hand, it’s probably a dot they have to connect if Boston is an “important city” or hub or whatever, and they aren’t going up against AA or UA on it, unlike Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte etc..

LUS used to fly LAS and was a red-eye flight from LAS-BOS. With the exception of RDU, DL would have connected all their hubs and focus cities to LAS. The key challenge is going to be on Mint from B6 which has a good product. I know of a lot of conventions and leisure travelers to LAS. But DL affiliated travelers would prefer DL for the miles.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:38 pm

FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.


People here would faint if it turned out to be LH from MUC :lol:
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 pm

chrisnh wrote:
FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.


People here would faint if it turned out to be LH from MUC :lol:


I think i would need Mrs. VS to head to Walgreens and buy some smelling salts if that happened, always would have thought FRA, but given the switch of most of the 380's to MUC, much more likely, although do they need that kind of capacity?

Smart money has to be on EK upgrading the single daily to a 380 especially with the summer coming and needing the extra capacity, if they keep it to 1 per day, if they revert to the 2nd daily, then all bets are off and it could be either.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:16 pm

VS4ever wrote:
I think i would need Mrs. VS to head to Walgreens and buy some smelling salts if that happened, always would have thought FRA, but given the switch of most of the 380's to MUC, much more likely, although do they need that kind of capacity?

Only 5 A380's are in MUC. The other 9 are in FRA. 5 frames should allow for 4 long haul routes but I think they've only announced 3 routes: MIA, SFO, PVG. One can dream :)
Do they need the capacity? MUC is out of runway capacity. Until a 3rd runway is built it can only grow by increasing aircraft size. I think that is in part the reason why LH has decided to move some A380's to MUC. I would have thought that they could find routes with more demand than BOS but I've seen crazier things happen.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm

airbazar wrote:
tlecam wrote:
The DL flight to LAS is an odd one to me. I honestly don’t much about the LAS market, but my assumption is that it’s largely leisure travel.

I think that's a misconception. Vegas is a gigantic convention destination. It's not by coincidence that B6 has Mint in the BOS-LAS route.


And you’re right. Delta specifically mentions business travelers in its press release.

https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-50th- ... ting-oct-1


I’ve generally known that they’ve been approaching this point, but it’s pretty crazy to see Delta announce its 50th destination from BOS. Even though that includes all the Saturday only stuff, they’ve come a long way. Makes me think that they’re serious about making it stick this time.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:32 pm

chrisnh wrote:
FGITD wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
Does anyone know when the Royal Jordanian will be departing from BOS? and why it diverted to BOS?



Not sure why it came, but it was a fairly quick stop.

More talk today of the second a380 today. It's coming, and sooner than I thought. Interestingly, no official announcement yet though.


People here would faint if it turned out to be LH from MUC :lol:



LOL. Including me. Same if it’s AF / CDG.

The 380 is the one modern plane that I haven’t yet flown on. This should improve my chances.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Even more interesting that they have the LAS flight leaving/arriving during peak times. I was recently flying to LGA on a Wednesday evening and I’ve never seen Terminal A so busy. Every gate was in use, people everywhere. In a way, good to see; sign of health.

Whoever is managing the gate logistics deserves a medal.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Delta is continuing its investment in Boston by reaching 112 peak day departures by this summer, an increase of 19 departures compared with summer 2017 and 29 departures over summer 2016. Delta and its partners serve 50 total destinations from Boston, including 17 international destinations and the largest transatlantic network.

This is really interesting! They are sneaking closer and closer to B6 and once they get the complete Terminal A in June-2019, they will shoot up. It can be reasonably stated that any flight destination terminated by AA read the AAE destinations - MDT, ROC will be taken over by DL. Would that be a safe statement to state?
 
User avatar
thewizbizman
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:50 pm

hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:
DL - JFK, ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC, LAX, SEA


LGA for Delta as well.

Besides the point, I think we will see a bit more of growth from Delta in either Boston or New York-JFK, I think they will want to take at least one of them back from JetBlue, I mean it would be powerful to control at least one major airport in that area. Jetblue controls two.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm

iyerhari wrote:
Delta is continuing its investment in Boston by reaching 112 peak day departures by this summer, an increase of 19 departures compared with summer 2017 and 29 departures over summer 2016. Delta and its partners serve 50 total destinations from Boston, including 17 international destinations and the largest transatlantic network.

This is really interesting! They are sneaking closer and closer to B6 and once they get the complete Terminal A in June-2019, they will shoot up. It can be reasonably stated that any flight destination terminated by AA read the AAE destinations - MDT, ROC will be taken over by DL. Would that be a safe statement to state?


Not so fast Batman.. While you are correct that DL will up its game after June 2019 when it wants to get to 150 per day average, that's an increase of 38 over the 112 in the summer, with 5 additional gates available to them, that's about 7.5 turns a day and that's on the higher side for DL, especially if they decide to run any more TATL stuff, so ironically the number of departures out of A will overall decrease slightly because WN currently are in the 9-11 range per gate.

However at the same time. B6 will get access to the remaining gates in C as AS/VX and SY move out, their goal is to get to 200. so there will still be a significant gap between the two unless DL continue to move towards higher capacity flights with 738's and 320's and slowly phase out the RJ's. Even then it will still be a pretty sizeable gap.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10736
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

tlecam wrote:
Even more interesting that they have the LAS flight leaving/arriving during peak times. I was recently flying to LGA on a Wednesday evening and I’ve never seen Terminal A so busy. Every gate was in use, people everywhere. In a way, good to see; sign of health.

The TSA checkpoint at A is still a nightmare and it will only get worse. It would be nice if there was a TSA checkpoint on the satellite part of the terminal for people who just need to be dropped off without bags to check.

VS4ever wrote:
Not so fast Batman.. While you are correct that DL will up its game after June 2019 when it wants to get to 150 per day average, that's an increase of 38 over the 112 in the summer, with 5 additional gates available to them, that's about 7.5 turns a day and that's on the higher side for DL, especially if they decide to run any more TATL stuff, so ironically the number of departures out of A will overall decrease slightly because WN currently are in the 9-11 range per gate.

If DL says they want to expand to 150 departures I have to believe that they know what they're saying, and it does sound plausible,
If it's true that in the Summer 2017 they added 29 departures over Summer 2016 without adding any gates, then with 5 new gates they should be able to add at least another 25-30 departures easily. I think demand will dictate the increase more than gate capacity.
Last edited by airbazar on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:37 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
hinckley wrote:
airbazar wrote:
DL - JFK, ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC, LAX, SEA


LGA for Delta as well.

Besides the point, I think we will see a bit more of growth from Delta in either Boston or New York-JFK, I think they will want to take at least one of them back from JetBlue, I mean it would be powerful to control at least one major airport in that area. Jetblue controls two.

It is DL and not B6 who dominates JFK. See the table below that provides the pax stats for JFK:

DL B6 AA Total
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 26.81% 23.01% 11.69% 59,345,421
2016 26.93% 23.05% 12.01% 58,956,288
2015 25.71% 23.01% 13.25% 56,827,154
2014 24.37% 22.80% 14.33% 53,254,362
2013 23.21% 23.09% 16.72% 50,423,765

Note: AA 2013, 2014 and 2015 numbers includes LUS that are added to the totals. I will not say DL dominates JFK wholly but they are consistently ahead of B6 all through the years by at-least almost 3 percent points since 2015. AA is kind of getting saturated and probably explains why they are focusing at PHL vs. slugging it out at JFK.

VS4ever wrote:

Not so fast Batman.. While you are correct that DL will up its game after June 2019 when it wants to get to 150 per day average, that's an increase of 38 over the 112 in the summer, with 5 additional gates available to them, that's about 7.5 turns a day and that's on the higher side for DL, especially if they decide to run any more TATL stuff, so ironically the number of departures out of A will overall decrease slightly because WN currently are in the 9-11 range per gate.

However at the same time. B6 will get access to the remaining gates in C as AS/VX and SY move out, their goal is to get to 200. so there will still be a significant gap between the two unless DL continue to move towards higher capacity flights with 738's and 320's and slowly phase out the RJ's. Even then it will still be a pretty sizeable gap.


Thank you for the detailed explanation :) Will be exciting to see how DL and B6 slug it out at BOS. It is getting clearer that DL is not getting to let it out to B6 so easily.
 
Capn
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 pm

When I look at the Google map of concourse A, it appears that there is perhaps some room to put a couple more jetways ( maybe for RJs only ) in the corner between A and B.
Could one of you folks that are familiar with BOS tell me what you think.
Thanks
 
Kno
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 pm

Capn wrote:
When I look at the Google map of concourse A, it appears that there is perhaps some room to put a couple more jetways ( maybe for RJs only ) in the corner between A and B.
Could one of you folks that are familiar with BOS tell me what you think.
Thanks


That space is really maxed out, it used to be more gates with only rjs over there and now they park 737s and a320s there as well.

Plus those b gates where AC parks are tight fits as well. That is being remodeled but I think there will still be little room to expand.

Most of deltas gates on the main terminal and the satellite terminal that handle widebody jets block an extra gate. I assume when they get some gates back from southwest they can make a19 a widebody gate again (it used to fit 764s without blocking) and that will free up a couple gates.
 
B757rocket
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 pm

tlecam wrote:
Even more interesting that they have the LAS flight leaving/arriving during peak times. I was recently flying to LGA on a Wednesday evening and I’ve never seen Terminal A so busy. Every gate was in use, people everywhere. In a way, good to see; sign of health.

Whoever is managing the gate logistics deserves a medal.



delete
 
Capn
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 am

Kno wrote:
Capn wrote:
When I look at the Google map of concourse A, it appears that there is perhaps some room to put a couple more jetways ( maybe for RJs only ) in the corner between A and B.
Could one of you folks that are familiar with BOS tell me what you think.
Thanks


That space is really maxed out, it used to be more gates with only rjs over there and now they park 737s and a320s there as well.

Plus those b gates where AC parks are tight fits as well. That is being remodeled but I think there will still be little room to expand.

Most of deltas gates on the main terminal and the satellite terminal that handle widebody jets block an extra gate. I assume when they get some gates back from southwest they can make a19 a widebody gate again (it used to fit 764s without blocking) and that will free up a couple gates.[/quote

Kno,
Thank you very much for your informative reply, sounds like you are definitely " in the know " pun intended.
Are there any other possibilities for expansion ?
Would it be feasible for DL. to try to get some gates in B ?
 
Kno
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 am

Capn wrote:
Kno wrote:
Capn wrote:
When I look at the Google map of concourse A, it appears that there is perhaps some room to put a couple more jetways ( maybe for RJs only ) in the corner between A and B.
Could one of you folks that are familiar with BOS tell me what you think.
Thanks


That space is really maxed out, it used to be more gates with only rjs over there and now they park 737s and a320s there as well.

Plus those b gates where AC parks are tight fits as well. That is being remodeled but I think there will still be little room to expand.

Most of deltas gates on the main terminal and the satellite terminal that handle widebody jets block an extra gate. I assume when they get some gates back from southwest they can make a19 a widebody gate again (it used to fit 764s without blocking) and that will free up a couple gates.[/quote

Kno,
Thank you very much for your informative reply, sounds like you are definitely " in the know " pun intended.
Are there any other possibilities for expansion ?
Would it be feasible for DL. to try to get some gates in B ?


Thanks! It is my hometown airport after all, but I must admit I don't have any insider info - just a lot of research on the operations there.

There are renovations going on at B but I forget off the top of my head who will be there. I think the idea is that Southwest will move to the old AA area, which they still currently use, and AA will finally consolidate on the US side (they're still separate, and you have to pay attention to which gate your flight leaves from if you want to check in in the right area, or else you're in for a long long walk through uniteds part of the terminal).

Once Southwest is out of A DL will be able to regain the gates they occupy in the satellite terminal. In the prior configuration these gates all handled as big as 757s with A19 being used for planes as big as 764s, wouldn't be surprised if they return to that configuration but who knows. It seems to me if they could configure the gates to handle more widebodies without blocking additional gates they'd be in better shape for the afternoon rush and international connections so A19 should be useful. I'm honestly surprised they didn't build more widebody gates when they built the terminal since they used to fly a lot of 767s here when it first opened and when they were in C AF and various skyteam partners had 747s,777s, a340s, md11s etc at Delta gates. When terminal A opened they kept the international partners separate at E... On another note man I really miss the 90s and early 00s when terminal C was exciting and bursting at the seams with DL widebodies, 727s, 757s, and md80s. So boring seeing nothing but Jetblue planes there with the occasional shamrock a330 or TAP a330.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 am

The stage has been set for all the moves. When it shakes out it’s going to look like this

Terminal A- DL and WS
Terminal B- AA, UA, WN, NK, AS/VX, SY, AC
Terminal C- B6 and 9K, along with gates held for EI and TP
Terminal E- International airlines and international arrivals from non preclear

The whole map is shown on the attached deck starting at page 119
http://www.massport.com/media/2704/0118 ... ermark.pdf




Also, everyone might want to take a look at this deck with the capital plans and focus on ORH, huge amount of useful info here
http://www.massport.com/media/2729/0218 ... -final.pdf
 
B752OS
Posts: 1348
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:05 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 am

Kno wrote:
Capn wrote:
Kno wrote:


That space is really maxed out, it used to be more gates with only rjs over there and now they park 737s and a320s there as well.

Plus those b gates where AC parks are tight fits as well. That is being remodeled but I think there will still be little room to expand.

Most of deltas gates on the main terminal and the satellite terminal that handle widebody jets block an extra gate. I assume when they get some gates back from southwest they can make a19 a widebody gate again (it used to fit 764s without blocking) and that will free up a couple gates.[/quote

Kno,
Thank you very much for your informative reply, sounds like you are definitely " in the know " pun intended.
Are there any other possibilities for expansion ?
Would it be feasible for DL. to try to get some gates in B ?


Thanks! It is my hometown airport after all, but I must admit I don't have any insider info - just a lot of research on the operations there.

There are renovations going on at B but I forget off the top of my head who will be there. I think the idea is that Southwest will move to the old AA area, which they still currently use, and AA will finally consolidate on the US side (they're still separate, and you have to pay attention to which gate your flight leaves from if you want to check in in the right area, or else you're in for a long long walk through uniteds part of the terminal).

Once Southwest is out of A DL will be able to regain the gates they occupy in the satellite terminal. In the prior configuration these gates all handled as big as 757s with A19 being used for planes as big as 764s, wouldn't be surprised if they return to that configuration but who knows. It seems to me if they could configure the gates to handle more widebodies without blocking additional gates they'd be in better shape for the afternoon rush and international connections so A19 should be useful. I'm honestly surprised they didn't build more widebody gates when they built the terminal since they used to fly a lot of 767s here when it first opened and when they were in C AF and various skyteam partners had 747s,777s, a340s, md11s etc at Delta gates. When terminal A opened they kept the international partners separate at E... On another note man I really miss the 90s and early 00s when terminal C was exciting and bursting at the seams with DL widebodies, 727s, 757s, and md80s. So boring seeing nothing but Jetblue planes there with the occasional shamrock a330 or TAP a330.



The work on the consolidation and expansion of Terminal B is well underway and should be complete by early next year. Among the highlights are a large consolidated security checkpoint (currently 3 checkpoints), consolidating the ticketing counters to one area, opening up gates 1-3 to the rest of the terminal, expanding the baggage claim area and adding 53,000 sf of new space to the terminal. It really looks like it will be a solid upgrade to this half of the terminal. Between this and the United concourse, Massport has really made some solid expansions and upgrades over the last 5 or 6 years.


See slides 57-60.

https://www.massport.com/media/2420/tbo ... inal-2.pdf
 
aaflyer777
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:13 am

Anyone know whats going on with AC? According to the slides it looks like they're staying put and sharing their gates with AA, wouldn't it make more sense to move them closer to UA?
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 am

Is this viable? EK sticks with one daily, and makes it the A380. Then, they add a 777 Sky Cargo leg at Boston that starts in some other city before heading overseas. The A380 isn’t admired for its cargo capacity and this would be a way to serve the demand upstairs and downstairs.
 
iyerhari
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 am

aaflyer777 wrote:
Anyone know whats going on with AC? According to the slides it looks like they're staying put and sharing their gates with AA, wouldn't it make more sense to move them closer to UA?

The terminal will be walkable and it would barely take < 5 mins for reaching the UA side. UA got a brand new sets of gates and wouldn’t be happy to make a move.

On another note, Terminal B revamp is going on in full swing. The AAE gates to MDT and ROC are gone and new remodeling construction is going in new swing. The billboards clearly callout a new Terminal B for AA/LUS to be open in Jan-2019. AAE flights operate out of the shuttle side. TSA Pre on LUS is much more congested now due to all the construction.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 am

VS4ever wrote:
Also, everyone might want to take a look at this deck with the capital plans and focus on ORH, huge amount of useful info here
http://www.massport.com/media/2729/0218 ... -final.pdf

Interesting note:
On page 94 it talks about how Emirates ordered more A380s, doesn't relate it back to BOS, though. (Possible hint)
 
737307
Posts: 2945
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:01 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Also, everyone might want to take a look at this deck with the capital plans and focus on ORH, huge amount of useful info here
http://www.massport.com/media/2729/0218 ... -final.pdf


That presentation is full of Pie in the Sky projections.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1592
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

Regarding the space between A11 and B1, as others have said, it's very right. The angle of Terminal A by gates 9/10/11 in particular make the aircraft movements tight.

They probably could add some terminal space to fill the gap between terminal A and terminal B, reconfigure the shape of terminal A and maybe gain a gate or two, but I think it would be expensive relative to what they'd get. For a little context, look at how much longer the connector is between C and E (where Terminal D used to be) - there aren only 4 gates on the connector itself, and that's a larger space.
 
Capn
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I have to complement all you posters on this BOS thread. You all keep it interesting and up to date.it is one of my favorites and always look forward to new posts. You all always answer my questions with great info.
I am an unabashed DELTA fan boy even though I took an early retirement from NW (22years ago ) so way before the merger. As a long time Av geek I just think that they are doing an incredible job running DELTA, the fact that they administer my pension and all our benefits doesn't hurt.
Will look forward to all your future posts...
 
RL757PVD
Posts: 3360
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 1999 2:47 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:20 pm

A 73% increase in Terminal E costs in the next 5 years.... good luck to the international ULCC's with that.
 
User avatar
NickolayAv
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
A 73% increase in Terminal E costs in the next 5 years.... good luck to the international ULCC's with that.

I can see why, but where was this info released?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Capn wrote:
I have to complement all you posters on this BOS thread. You all keep it interesting and up to date.it is one of my favorites and always look forward to new posts. You all always answer my questions with great info.
I am an unabashed DELTA fan boy even though I took an early retirement from NW (22years ago ) so way before the merger. As a long time Av geek I just think that they are doing an incredible job running DELTA, the fact that they administer my pension and all our benefits doesn't hurt.
Will look forward to all your future posts...


I am sure i speak for my fellow folks and say thank you for the kind words. I freely admit right now I am behind on posting a lot of the numbers, due to work and personal issues, but promise to catch up soon once I can come up for air.
 
Capn
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Capn wrote:
I have to complement all you posters on this BOS thread. You all keep it interesting and up to date.it is one of my favorites and always look forward to new posts. You all always answer my questions with great info.
I am an unabashed DELTA fan boy even though I took an early retirement from NW (22years ago ) so way before the merger. As a long time Av geek I just think that they are doing an incredible job running DELTA, the fact that they administer my pension and all our benefits doesn't hurt.
Will look forward to all your future posts...


I am sure i speak for my fellow folks and say thank you for the kind words. I freely admit right now I am behind on posting a lot of the numbers, due to work and personal issues, but promise to catch up soon once I can come up for air.


We need you to call in TIRED, so you can catch us on all your good info...
 
33lspotter
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 am

tlecam wrote:
LOL. Including me. Same if it’s AF / CDG.

The 380 is the one modern plane that I haven’t yet flown on. This should improve my chances.


That would be quite the surprise. IIRC they don’t have many A380s as it is and with DY getting in on the route I can’t imagine load factors would warrant it (both now and then).

As for the experience of flying on the A380 itself, I have to say it is enjoyable. I was long a Whalebus hater and while I still prefer the 747 for sentimental reasons the A380 is a darn impressive aircraft. Super quiet and graceful and the cabin experience is even better if you get a window on the upper deck (where it is 2-4-2). I’ve been on it on both BA and CZ and it’s something to behold.
 
bagoldex
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:51 am

33lspotter wrote:
tlecam wrote:
LOL. Including me. Same if it’s AF / CDG.

The 380 is the one modern plane that I haven’t yet flown on. This should improve my chances.


That would be quite the surprise. IIRC they don’t have many A380s as it is and with DY getting in on the route I can’t imagine load factors would warrant it (both now and then).


I think this would only happen if they dropped down to one daily flight in summer and they saw dramatically improved prospects in F, which has not been successful for them before in Boston.
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Does anyone now where I can find data on which hours of the day BOS has more arrivals than departures and vice-versa?

Regards,
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:06 pm

hisham wrote:
Does anyone now where I can find data on which hours of the day BOS has more arrivals than departures and vice-versa?

Regards,


Flightstats.com would probably have it, but you would have to pay to access it
 
hisham
Posts: 752
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 1999 11:32 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks. I did pay and got the info. As a non hub airport, it I should have predicted it. There are no arrival or departure banks at BOS. Pretty much uniform for the whole day.
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2718
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 am

hisham wrote:
Thanks. I did pay and got the info. As a non hub airport, it I should have predicted it. There are no arrival or departure banks at BOS. Pretty much uniform for the whole day.


Doesn't surprise me, although I would expect to see a slightly higher number of departures in the am (given all the RON's that have to get out of there) and higher number of departures in the pm for the opposite reason.

However what you are seeing is an airport that is very close to capacity and needs to utilize it's infrastructure constantly all day in order to grow. Aircraft movements can still grow, because we are still way down from the RJ world of the early 2000's, but gate space is at a premium. Even with the 4 new coming in B&C combined and the new ones in E. Turns are only going to increase in number or plane size is going to migrate larger to boost capacity to fit the needs and potential passenger numbers.

PS, did anyone see that Massport are predicting 41m pax for this year!, I will be impressed if they make 40m, but they still see sizeable growth in their footprint, someway, somehow.
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4231
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:44 am

One way for Amazon to knock Boston dead with one punch is to demand something it can’t supply: one million sf.

My bet is on the VA/D.C. area because if there one thing the big A needs is lobbyists and quick access to government. Besides, they can provide that kind of space.
 
rnav2dlrey
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:59 am

VS4ever wrote:
hisham wrote:
Thanks. I did pay and got the info. As a non hub airport, it I should have predicted it. There are no arrival or departure banks at BOS. Pretty much uniform for the whole day.


Doesn't surprise me, although I would expect to see a slightly higher number of departures in the am (given all the RON's that have to get out of there) and higher number of departures in the pm for the opposite reason.


don't forget for the early AM hours that redeyes from the west coast are arriving.
 
bacchus101
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 am

Boston's PenAir hub is done as of June 30th.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/21/ ... r-service/


I guess it's down to Cape Air as the last Logan hub airline.
 
User avatar
FA9295
Posts: 1770
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:56 am

bacchus101 wrote:
Boston's PenAir hub is done as of June 30th.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/03/21/ ... r-service/


I guess it's down to Cape Air as the last Logan hub airline.

Doesn't surprise me. PenAir just pulled out of PDX a few months ago...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos