Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbazar

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:54 pm

B752OS wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that the people mover would solve all of the issues, just that it may help free up some road capacity. Massport looks like they have a pretty good plan in place to expand, upgrade and streamline the roadways around terminal B and C, plus the C canopy and curbside re-work should go a very long way to improving the situation. Only problem is we're a little over 3 years away from these projects being completed.

That's the thing, I don't believe they are doing anything at all to address the problem. They are essentially shifting a couple of lanes around terminal C. There is no expansion of the roadways in the plan except for the ones that lead to the new terminal E.

This is the problem:
VS4ever wrote:
Slide 13 - Lyft/Uber having a huge impact on parking revenues despite price increase. Trips up 477%, Taxi and Limo down by 38% and 26% respectively, for a net of 22%, which means 737k extra cars running through Logan (and this is NOT a full year statistic)

The only way I see a fix to this mess is either a) demolish the garage to make room for improved roadways or b) prohibit Uber/Lyft/Taxi from entering the airport roadways. Both seem extreme but I really don't see another alternative.

VS4ever

Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:57 pm

July board meeting highlights

http://www.massport.com/media/3007/july ... ermark.pdf

Slide 11 - one for tphuang here. Fare pricing comparison's from june 17 to June 18
Slide 12 - scary stats for ORH-FLL particularly with average fares in some quarters hovering close to $100...
Slide 16 - confirmation (now started) of B6 to HAV
Slide 18 - confirmation that Logan's Wi-fi is horrible not only on speed (per the slide), but other evidence saying it's horribly insecure
Slide 45 - June 18 highest ever month (until July and August came along) at 3.8m (staggering) 8.2% up, on such a big month is insane
Slides 59-73 - Parking Project - enhancing revenues while providing more options, looks like Valet Parking, online reservations and special loyalty program coming to a Logan Airport near you, if this goes ahead.
Slide 76 - Satisfaction rating - we are middle of the pack tied with JFK, although god knows how MCO is #1, that airport sucks wind. (subsequent slides have some interesting marketing plans for improvement)
Slide 112 - confirmation that AA will have 18 gates post Terminal B completion thru slides 143 shows updates to all the concepts that are likely close to completion or done by now. Now I just have to fly AA to see them all.

VS4ever

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

airbazar wrote:
B752OS wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that the people mover would solve all of the issues, just that it may help free up some road capacity. Massport looks like they have a pretty good plan in place to expand, upgrade and streamline the roadways around terminal B and C, plus the C canopy and curbside re-work should go a very long way to improving the situation. Only problem is we're a little over 3 years away from these projects being completed.

That's the thing, I don't believe they are doing anything at all to address the problem. They are essentially shifting a couple of lanes around terminal C. There is no expansion of the roadways in the plan except for the ones that lead to the new terminal E.

This is the problem:
VS4ever wrote:
Slide 13 - Lyft/Uber having a huge impact on parking revenues despite price increase. Trips up 477%, Taxi and Limo down by 38% and 26% respectively, for a net of 22%, which means 737k extra cars running through Logan (and this is NOT a full year statistic)

The only way I see a fix to this mess is either a) demolish the garage to make room for improved roadways or b) prohibit Uber/Lyft/Taxi from entering the airport roadways. Both seem extreme but I really don't see another alternative.

What they could do, although it wouldn't reduce the traffic is build the garage on the top of the existing E parking, make it 5 or 6 stories like the central parking and have one level for the TNC's, you could even have an area for Lyft/Uber specifically, the problem is, it's only going to get worse as Taxi/Limo usage continues to decline, for goodness sake we just took Lyft last night back from Logan and it cost us about 1/2 what a taxi would and it was fixed price, not metered!, getting out past Terminal E at 8.20pm was a bit of a slog and it's not exactly warm in the TNC location to wait at the moment, but it works and that's why people do it in huge numbers. Having it in a building would be better all the way around, not perfect, but better.

Midwestindy

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

B752OS wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:
New WN schedule extension for BOS:
BOS-STL increases to 5x daily
BOS-BNA increases to 4x daily
BOS-ATL reduced to 1x daily
BOS-IND reduced to 1x weekly

Surprised they're hanging on to ATL and IND, interesting to see them upping BNA after DL went 4x daily

Interesting regarding WN and IND. I am going to assume they'll simply cut the route all together in the near future. Also rumors that B6 will be adding IND from BOS soon.

I agree, if they are only running it 1xweekly in summer, I doubt they would run it in the fall/winter.

Airport Director said new carrier will be announced by the end of the year, "Executive director Mario Rodriguez says the airport will announce its ninth major airline by year's end. He won't say which one, but says it's probably the most obvious domestic airline missing from Indy. The largest such airline is JetBlue, America's seventh-largest carrier": https://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/in ... -expansion

LotsaRunway wrote:
The only surprise about BOS-IND dropping to life support is that it is still alive at all. Fares were cheap and loads were poor. Never could figure out why it didn't work better. I don't know how much longer CMH is going to last at x2 daily either. Always wondered why WN hasn't tried BOS-LAS yet. WN doesn't offere nonstop LAS service from anyplace in the Boston region.

BOS-IND is a route with two strong DL stations on both ends, and WN couldn't get any corporate travel from the IND end, they ended up filling the flights with cheap leisure travelers and some connections which isn't a money maker. Much better to send those flights on BOS-STL/BNA

clrd4t8koff

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:59 pm

DL announced ORH-DTW several months ago but still no flights are loaded for sale. Did they scrap the plans?

https://www.telegram.com/news/20180828/ ... it-planned

FGITD

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:28 pm

VS4ever wrote:
airbazar wrote:
B752OS wrote:

This is the problem:
VS4ever wrote:

What they could do, although it wouldn't reduce the traffic is build the garage on the top of the existing E parking, make it 5 or 6 stories like the central parking and have one level for the TNC's, you could even have an area for Lyft/Uber specifically, the problem is, it's only going to get worse as Taxi/Limo usage continues to decline, for goodness sake we just took Lyft last night back from Logan and it cost us about 1/2 what a taxi would and it was fixed price, not metered!, getting out past Terminal E at 8.20pm was a bit of a slog and it's not exactly warm in the TNC location to wait at the moment, but it works and that's why people do it in huge numbers. Having it in a building would be better all the way around, not perfect, but better.

I'll have to consult the construction outline I have somewhere to confirm, but I believe that is in fact the plan. Nice for the sake of parking, but a shame to lose the view of the city from the E drop off zones.

Dieuwer

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Partially off-topic, but why is the "Boston Aviation" thread so extremely popular compared to other "City XYZ Aviation" threads?

VS4ever

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:48 am

Dieuwer wrote:
Partially off-topic, but why is the "Boston Aviation" thread so extremely popular compared to other "City XYZ Aviation" threads?

Well I for one post a lot as frankly there's an awful lot going on and we have a group of dedicated folks who post regularly. Compared to say the Irish thread we are lower, but given the former, that's why the comment count is way above 2,100. Think about what we have had this year and you will see why.
Terminal C development,
Terminal B development
Terminal E development
Delta grabbing Terminal A with both hands
The Primera downfall
New Service
Statistics and analysis

and more....

I for one am delighted that we have so many folks willing to contribute, you, me, iyerhari, airbazar, adamh8297, FGITD, B752OS, chrisnh, clrd4t8koff, Nickolayav, 33Lspotter, hinckley and many many more. it's been a great year and hopefully 2019 will be just as fun.

tomaheath

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 am

VS4ever wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Well I for one post a lot as frankly there's an awful lot going on and we have a group of dedicated folks who post regularly. Compared to say the Irish thread we are lower, but given the former, that's why the comment count is way above 2,100. Think about what we have had this year and you will see why.
Terminal C development,
Terminal B development
Terminal E development
Delta grabbing Terminal A with both hands
The Primera downfall
New Service
Statistics and analysis

and more....

I for one am delighted that we have so many folks willing to contribute, you, me, iyerhari, airbazar, adamh8297, FGITD, B752OS, chrisnh, clrd4t8koff, Nickolayav, 33Lspotter, hinckley and many many more. it's been a great year and hopefully 2019 will be just as fun.

As a fellow New Englander I definitely enjoy this thread definitely appreciate all the great info that is posted about BOS and the rest of the New England airports.

hinckley

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:23 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Not off-topic! In fact, I poked around a few weeks ago at the other local airport threads and the only one I found with more activity was the one for Australia, and it covers the whole country.

There are great contributors to this thread, but what really sets this group apart from so much elsewhere on a.net is the knowledge and civility of the posters here. No ego. Just a shared interest and passion. Cheers to you all! :D

Oh, and Mookie just won the MVP award. So all's well in Boston and BOS!

iyerhari

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DL announced ORH-DTW several months ago but still no flights are loaded for sale. Did they scrap the plans?

It is not showing up in Wikipedia too - not that they are accurate but they tend to be good with this. Your observation is correct - i do not know if DL is starting ORH.

tomaheath

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am

iyerhari wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

It is not showing up in Wikipedia too - not that they are accurate but they tend to be good with this. Your observation is correct - i do not know if DL is starting ORH.

I was in ORH area the other day so took a ride up the fogged in little terminal on the hill I didn’t noticed and DL signage along the terminal just B6 and AA.

kearnet

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 am

Dieuwer wrote:

I was actually wondering this too as just the other day, I was looking for a thread for L.A./LAX as I was curious about the progress of the new MSC, and was surprised I could not find one.

The only other one that I know of that keeps on par with Boston in Phoenix which since moving to AZ last year is the other one I frequently check into.

VS4ever

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 am

September board meeting minutes highlights:

http://massport.com/media/3010/final_se ... ermark.pdf

Slide 10: New Service
    Jetblue - HAV
    Sichuan - CTU
    Korean - ICN
    Hawaiian - HNL
    Jetblue - MEX
    KLM- AMS
    Norwegian - FCO?
Slide 15 - JD Power scores for Logan
Slide 17 - DL - ORH announcement
Slide 34 - Pax numbers - Aug was an all time record of over 4m pax
Slide 60/61 - Runway throughput adequate - but space in B and C roadways is highly inadequate
Slide 63 - major projects, including a 2,000 car garage on the current Terminal E parking site
Slide 65: ORH catchment area - reminder from earlier deck, Massport believes 200,000 pax in 2020 for ORH.
Slide 66/67 - ORH is a money pit right now, and massports forecasts for pax
Slide 68: Longer Term Strategies - Terminal E, Phase 2 and APM
Slides 71-89 - Transportation and Parking Strategies
Slides 110-123 - Terminal B/C Roadway Improvement projects
Slides 124-143 Terminal C Upper Deck and Canopy (Cannot come soon enough, the only part i hate about Terminal C)
Slide 146 - AA relocation to 18 Gates from 22
Slide 147 - AA final relocation in Jan 2019
Slides 148-155 - updates on whole Terminal B project, including comparisons to architect proposals and final versions.
Slides 156-168 - FY 19 (July 18 to June 19) - New Rates and some are going down, although total may increase due to overall volume increase

tphuang

Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:16 am

There are a lot of great city aviation threads, but I think this is the best one. I especially like VS4ever's posts. A lot of great stuff.

gatibosgru

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:29 am

Was supposed to be flying BOS-FRA today but the flight was canceled due to an issue with a door according to gate staff (have a video of them announcing the mechanical issue). We had to leave the gate and go to baggage claim and pick up our bags and try to get rebooked. When I tried to rebook the CS staff said there would be no compensation because the flight was canceled due to weather (no other flight was canceled, and it was at 4:20pm before any snow/rain even arrived).

While at the gate the aircraft took off for FRA, presumably with no pax on board. Is this normal? Now rebooked tomorrow through IAD with a 6 hour layover. So not happy, and I booked this flight originally just because I wanted to fly the 748, then was changed to an A346 which I was also happy with, and now have to fly UA/SK with an A333 -_-

kearnet

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:53 am

gatibosgru wrote:
Was supposed to be flying BOS-FRA today but the flight was canceled due to an issue with a door according to gate staff (have a video of them announcing the mechanical issue). We had to leave the gate and go to baggage claim and pick up our bags and try to get rebooked. When I tried to rebook the CS staff said there would be no compensation because the flight was canceled due to weather (no other flight was canceled, and it was at 4:20pm before any snow/rain even arrived).

While at the gate the aircraft took off for FRA, presumably with no pax on board. Is this normal? Now rebooked tomorrow through IAD with a 6 hour layover. So not happy, and I booked this flight originally just because I wanted to fly the 748, then was changed to an A346 which I was also happy with, and now have to fly UA/SK with an A333 -_-

Along with having it recorded, the fact the plane took off sans pax certainly sounds like it was a mechanical issue that they had to ferry the plane back to a maint. base for repair. I can only guess that the CS agents didn't actually know the real reason it was xcel'd and only assumed based on the media going crazy about WX. As you have evidence, I'd press for compensation.

redtailmsp

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 am

Dieuwer wrote:

I think that the whole tenor of the discussions in this thread is positive and constructive; downright collegial even. It is a pleasure to read some of the thoughtful and respectful comments on here. There may be disagreements at times, but they are respectful and do not degenerate into slanging matches. It helps that you don't have one single contributor who has his own agenda that gets repeated ad nauseum. So, a big thumbs up to all who contribute, you really do set the standard here.

pitbosflyer

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Sounds like the late night arrivals last night had a pretty long night.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/11/16/ ... vember-16/
https://whdh.com/news/noreaster-causes- ... n-airport/

My buddy flew in on DL2525 coming back from a conference. He said they arrived only about 30 mins late around midnight, but then waited for 2 hours for a gate. During which the heat on the plane stopped working. He said people were all pretty angry on the plane by the end, didn't help that the temp in the plane was basically boiling.

Any reason why they can't unload people at remote stands when the gates are all full? With all the departing flights unable to take off, they knew it was going to be a while for a gate to open. Yet DL seemed to just wait it out. I know this kind of stuff happens at JFK all the time. Maybe its just a symptom of BOS's growth....less free gates.

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:40 pm

gatibosgru wrote:

While I tend to jump to conclusions about some gate agents intentions, I believe most international carriers at BOS, LH included, is staffed by Swissport and they might not have all the right info. You definitely appear to have a case for EU261compensation and would suggest you submit a claim directly through the LH website itself with the proper info and documentation. General rule of thumb is to keep the compensation claim concise and to the point, which you've done here.

Saw these instructions on another popular aviation website - Go to lufthansa.com, pick your country then click on feedback at upper-right corner. It will take you to a new page with a form. You can either fill it out or on the right hand side there is a "Contacts worldwide" button. If you click that then you can browse all countries and all contact points.

Hope that helps and good luck. This trip was kind of a double whammy for you - first you lose the 748i you booked it for, then the flight cancelled.
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airbazar

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:43 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
Any reason why they can't unload people at remote stands when the gates are all full? With all the departing flights unable to take off, they knew it was going to be a while for a gate to open. Yet DL seemed to just wait it out. I know this kind of stuff happens at JFK all the time. Maybe its just a symptom of BOS's growth....less free gates.

I understand the "stuck in the plane for hours waiting to take off" because the airline doesn't want to miss the take-off slot and go to the back of the line.
But on arrival, it doesn't make any sense unless there are no remote stands available.

Kno

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:11 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:

My buddy flew in on DL2525 coming back from a conference. He said they arrived only about 30 mins late around midnight, but then waited for 2 hours for a gate. During which the heat on the plane stopped working. He said people were all pretty angry on the plane by the end, didn't help that the temp in the plane was basically boiling.

Unfortunately there are no Delta or common use remote gates close to terminal A and I doubt Logan is equipped with the staff and buses to handle unloading pax from a distance.

Regardless, at that hour there should at least be enough staff to handle pushing a RON plane out of the way and hooking you up to a jetway to unload.

pitbosflyer

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Kno wrote:

Regardless, at that hour there should at least be enough staff to handle pushing a RON plane out of the way and hooking you up to a jetway to unload.

Yes one would think that :?

FGITD

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:

No win situation. Passengers will either complain about being stuck on the plane, or complain they they were forced to go outside in inclement weather.

The first real snow event of the year is always a mess. Next time will go much better.

UAEflyer

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:20 pm

EK operated 2 flights today from their home DXB to BOS, anyone know if the second flight is chartered or extra capacity for the day ?

VS4ever

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:25 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
EK operated 2 flights today from their home DXB to BOS, anyone know if the second flight is chartered or extra capacity for the day ?

Rescue mission due to tech aircraft
http://theeksource.com/emirates-b777-30 ... e-mission/

clrd4t8koff

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:26 pm

VS4ever wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:

Gonna be a busy night in the EK lounge with two 77W’s worth of passengers. Looks like both EK are going to be at BOS at the same time. Rescue flight lands at 8:20pm. Wonder what time the rescue flight departs back to DXB?

klm617

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:49 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Pan Am also had a crash at Logan; a cargo 707 that tried to make an emergency landing and didn’t quite make it.

In the final moments the pilots opened the front window to try to survive but the fire was too intense by then.

VS4ever

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:58 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:

Gonna be a busy night in the EK lounge with two 77W’s worth of passengers. Looks like both EK are going to be at BOS at the same time. Rescue flight lands at 8:20pm. Wonder what time the rescue flight departs back to DXB?

EK238 - 10.15pm (regular flight)
EK8238 - 11.55pm (rescue flight)

per massport

ScottB

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Kno wrote:
Unfortunately there are no Delta or common use remote gates close to terminal A and I doubt Logan is equipped with the staff and buses to handle unloading pax from a distance.

Actually, at midnight I'd expect the ground staff to be relatively thin on an ordinary night -- enough to handle one or two simultaneous arrivals but usually things get pretty quiet by then. I'd also expect that DL required some staff to stay for mandatory OT due to the weather disruptions but that still may not have been enough if they were dealing with delayed departures and/or arrivals.

And yeah, there aren't any remote gates near Terminal A, and trying to call in staff at midnight in a snowstorm to drive shuttle buses on the ramp would probably be challenging.

VS4ever

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:04 am

Load Factors for May 2018 - International from T-100 Reports - I didn't do the Caribbean as the number of flights per route is generally low, I have them if anyone is interested though.

Europe
    BOS-AMS (DL) - 86.90%
    BOS-BCN (IB) - Level - 94.44%
    BOS-CDG (AF) - 89.32%
    BOS-CDG (DL) - 86.64%
    BOS-CDG (DY) - 83.09%
    BOS-CPH (SK) - 59.13%
    BOS-DUB (DL) - 84.01%
    BOS-DUB (EI) - 87.16%
    BOS-FCO (AZ) - 87.08%
    BOS-FRA (LH) - 89.01%
    BOS-KEF (FI) - 79.97%
    BOS-KEF (WW) - 83.48%
    BOS-LGW (DI) - 91.72%
    BOS-LHR (BA) - 82.61%
    BOS-LHR (DL) - 71.86%
    BOS-LHR (VS) - 66.64%
    BOS-LIS (TP) - 85.65%
    BOS-MAD (IB) - 81.76%
    BOS-MAN (MT) - 79.72%
    BOS-MAN (VS) - 46.17%
    BOS-MUC (LH) - 83.15%
    BOS-PDL (S4) - 86.80%
    BOS-RAI (VR) -71.33%
    BOS-SNN (EI) - 80.81%
    BOS-STN (PF) - 63.56%
    BOS-TER (S4) - 83.75%
    BOS-ZRH (LX) - 87.17%

Asia
    BOS-HKG (CX) - 92.2%
    BOS-NRT (JL) - 87.9%
    BOS-PEK (HU) - 83.55%
    BOS-PVG (HU) - 75.83%

Middle East
    BOS-DOH (QR) - 82.42%
    BOS-DXB (EK) - 95%
    BOS-IST (TK) - 90.62%
    BOS-TLV (LY) - 80.23%

Americas
    BOS-BOG (AV) - 80.1%
    BOS-MEX (AM) - 76.92%
    BOS-PTY (CM) - 82.12%
(with the 1.4 per week)

Canada
    BOS-YHZ (QK) - 68.32%
    BOS-YHZ (WS) - 70.22%
    BOS-YOW (QK) - 62.2%
    BOS-YTZ (PD) - 70.90%
    BOS-YUL (QK) - 81.24%
    BOS-YUL (WS) - 56.39%
    BOS-YVR (AC) - 78.16%
    BOS-YYZ (KV) - 86.3%
    BOS-YYZ (WS) - 83.22%

Dieuwer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:33 am

BOS-BCN on Level = Jackpot! Norwegian must be cursing itself for not starting it.
In contrast, Virgin is a disaster. They really need to sit down with Mommy Delta and reconsider their strategy to the UK.

SCQ83

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 am

Dieuwer wrote:
BOS-BCN on Level = Jackpot! Norwegian must be cursing itself for not starting it.
In contrast, Virgin is a disaster. They really need to sit down with Mommy Delta and reconsider their strategy to the UK.

Norwegian can always start BCN-BOS.

In any case, that 94% means nothing. LEVEL had consistently +90% load factors in BCN-LAX and they cancelled the route a few weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?t=1408023

LEVEL has giving away one-stop tickets from BCN to BOS for 99 or 149 EUR. That means that even for many people in the BOS area, a long weekend in Barcelona would be cheaper than a bank holiday in California or Florida. I even know people from Madrid that have gone to BCN to pick LEVEL flights.

That is not sustainable in the medium / long term, like BCN-LAX has proven.

tjerome

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:58 am

airbazar wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

I understand the "stuck in the plane for hours waiting to take off" because the airline doesn't want to miss the take-off slot and go to the back of the line.
But on arrival, it doesn't make any sense unless there are no remote stands available.

If flights are departing late due to deicing that means arrivals have to wait.
When arrivals have to wait that means the gate is then occupied longer since it has a minimum ground time and that will mean the next arrival will have to wait too most likely.
That then delays the terminators getting towed off.
It is a domino effect honestly and there really aren't any remote spots for a plane to come into at midnight because they're all assigned to the overnight tows.

BOS needs more gates, tow spots, and deicing pads. More pads would help flights get off the gate sooner.

chrisnh

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

EK beats everyone everywhere but still nothing beyond occasional chatter about that unicorn-like 2nd Daily.

hinckley

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:55 pm

chrisnh wrote:
EK beats everyone everywhere but still nothing beyond occasional chatter about that unicorn-like 2nd Daily.

You've got to believe that with LFs in the mid-90s, it's only a matter of time for EK to add the 2nd flight, if "only" a 77L. I keep wondering the same thing about CX (currently, THE BEST BOS-Asia flight imo). But filling another 77W may be a tall order and the upcoming KE flight may siphon some off some of their traffic. ICN really is much better located for BOS-Asia connections.

airbazar

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Other than MAN-BOS I don't see a problem. DL doesn't seem to be too concerned with low LF's to LHR as that's been the case for years.
But everyone knew that was too much capacity for MAN, so no surprise there. Things might improve as DL lifts BOS's role into a full hub.
The one route that continues to blow my mind is BOS-HKG. Who knew?

B752OS

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for sharing VS4ever. Apart from CPH-BOS and MAN-BOS, looks like solid loads across the board with almost every flight being in the 80s.

VS4ever

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:37 pm

B752OS wrote:
Thanks for sharing VS4ever. Apart from CPH-BOS and MAN-BOS, looks like solid loads across the board with almost every flight being in the 80s.

MAN-BOS will change in 19 when MT exits the
Route, be interesting to see if VS does indeed pick up the slack as a result.
STN-BOS, despite PF’s demise I will be curious how their loads actually went during the summer. 63% first month out wasn’t terrible given some of the others I have seen in the past.
LHR-BOS - DL’s and VS’s play has always been front of the house, it’s going to get especially more interesting when the am VS flight comes on stream.
HKG-BOS - if ICN wasn’t starting I truly feel this one would go up in frequency
CDG-BOS (DY)- we know profits are hard to come by at DY, but 83% loads on an already busy route is not a bad start for getting butts on seats for them.
LGW-BOS - if there was ever a case for DI trying to figure out a 2nd flight even 3 weekly this one is it. I have been staggered that almost every month since this one started has been packed out.
DXB-BOS - 95% and this is freaking May, I really don’t understand what’s holding them back at this point, although summer 19 will be down due to the capacity reduction at DXB for the runway work and maybe that’s what is doing it long term. Perhaps 2020 will see the 2nd flight return or the summer upgauge to a 380 (not going to be year round for many reasons), but given the fighting about it being on a stand all day, my guess is we will see another 77w show up before the 380 does sadly.

There’s a reason BOS numbers continue to accelerate and some of these routes are it, the big question of course is are these airlines making any money on that increase, which sadly for international purposes is rather hard to prove.

I am looking forward to Feb 19 releases, because that’s when BOS went over the 4m pax mark, which will likely mean the loads will be insane.

adamh8297

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:19 pm

VS4ever wrote:
B752OS wrote:

CDG-BOS (DY)- we know profits are hard to come by at DY, but 83% loads on an already busy route is not a bad start for getting butts on seats for them.
LGW-BOS - if there was ever a case for DI trying to figure out a 2nd flight even 3 weekly this one is it. I have been staggered that almost every month since this one started has been packed out.
DXB-BOS - 95% and this is freaking May, I really don’t understand what’s holding them back at this point, although summer 19 will be down due to the capacity reduction at DXB for the runway work and maybe that’s what is doing it long term. Perhaps 2020 will see the 2nd flight return or the summer upgauge to a 380 (not going to be year round for many reasons), but given the fighting about it being on a stand all day, my guess is we will see another 77w show up before the 380 does sadly.

DY/DI flights both will be helped by no more PF.

EK has pilot shortage issues along with the runway work. The runway work may be a blessing in disguise for EK.

SCQ83 wrote:

Norwegian can always start BCN-BOS.

In any case, that 94% means nothing. LEVEL had consistently +90% load factors in BCN-LAX and they cancelled the route a few weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?t=1408023

LEVEL has giving away one-stop tickets from BCN to BOS for 99 or 149 EUR. That means that even for many people in the BOS area, a long weekend in Barcelona would be cheaper than a bank holiday in California or Florida. I even know people from Madrid that have gone to BCN to pick LEVEL flights.

That is not sustainable in the medium / long term, like BCN-LAX has proven.

Partially agree:I am skeptical on the route remaining as a year round service but BOS-BCN is 2400 miles shorter. Prices are bit higher in peak summer too and I wonder how many walkups they get. Also does this flight help to feed Vueling a bit though IAG seems to make it hard to book connections in BCN (only through IB's site and maybe GDS systems).

We know what DY's original plans were S19 in BOS - get into a route that competes with "the sick man of Europe" of the new millennium (AZ).

RJNUT

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:31 pm

I thought this was interesting giving Cape Air communities global connectivity , primarily thru BOS to QR via a new interline agreement.

https://www.aviationpros.com/press_rele ... h-cape-air

Dieuwer

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:19 pm

You think CPH-BOS will become seasonal? As in: a very short season (June - August only)?

adamh8297

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:34 pm

RJNUT wrote:
I thought this was interesting giving Cape Air communities global connectivity , primarily thru BOS to QR via a new interline agreement.

https://www.aviationpros.com/press_rele ... h-cape-air

I could have sworn EK interlined with them too but I cannot find proof and cannot get something like LEB to show up on EK's site.

Also very surprised they have never done anything with BA.

Dieuwer wrote:
You think CPH-BOS will become seasonal? As in: a very short season (June - August only)?

Well for S19 they are going daily with the widebody - lets see how they do! It seems like they do not want to give up on BOS for some reason. As for why SK does not make a deal with B6 is beyond me.

B752OS

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Could the SK numbers be a misfile? With loads like that, it makes you wonder why they're going daily next summer.

jworks158

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:07 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:

According to Jettip.net there were around 15 to 20 diversions in to boston. These were mainly flights to LGA, through there was also a cargo 748 on the ANC-JFK route.
I believe this to be one of the reason they had a lot less gate space.

tomaheath

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:09 pm

jworks158 wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

According to Jettip.net there were around 15 to 20 diversions in to boston. These were mainly flights to LGA, through there was also a cargo 748 on the ANC-JFK route.

There was a small handful diversions to Manchester as well.

jworks158

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:20 pm

tomaheath wrote:
jworks158 wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

There was a small handful diversions to Manchester as well.

Ya it seemed like LGA took the hit of this past storm, as it appeared like around half (don't quote me on that) of the arrivals diverted or returned to origin. Interestingly an AA Shuttle E190 BOS-LGA decided diverted to SYR.

DCA, SYR, PIT, BUF, BDL, IAD, EWR, JFK all took a few LGA diversions, while BOS took the majority (*once again not a statistic, but an opinion based on going through the different airports, and watching planes divert on both FlightRadar24, and JetTip.net). If you haven't heard of jettip.net it is a fantastic service designed for AvGeeks which alerts you when diversions, or High priority flights (flights/aircraft which haven't been to that airport in the last month) come to a given airport. https://jettip.net

33lspotter

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:25 pm

Appreciate the shoutout, VS4ever. I, too, appreciate that we have an active and engaged group of posters. Long may it continue.

tlecam

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:42 pm

It took me 17 hours to get from ORDto LGA on Thurs/Fri.

And even if I could have gotten to NYC, apparently the city did no planning for the snow and it was a complete train wreck. One friend did get in late Thurs night and it took over 3 hours to get into Manhattan.

tlecam

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 pm

I appreciate all the research and the tips from the posters in this forum; I learn a ton and it’s nice that it’s collegial and friendly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos