aaflyer777

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:08 pm

SCQ83

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

In Spanish:

http://www.expansion.com/empresas/trans ... b4574.html

Norwegian Air Shuttle sigue tejiendo su red de vuelos transoceánicos desde Madrid, donde Iberia y Air Europa tienen su centro de conexión de vuelos internacionales (hub). La aerolinea escandinava iniciará el próximo 2 de mayo sus conexiones entre Barajas y Boston, que conectará tres veces por semana y en la que competirá con Iberia.

La compañía de bajo coste, por la que se han interesado IAG y Lufthansa Group, enlazará Madrid y Boston tres veces por semana con tarifas a partir de 179 euros por trayecto. Además, mantendrá las cuatro frecuencias semanales a Los Ángeles y aumentará los vuelos a Nueva York, que pasarán de tres semanales el verano pasado a una conexión diaria el próximo.

How many weekly flights is Iberia on BOS?

tlecam

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:22 pm

N717TW wrote:
airbazar wrote:
N717TW wrote:
I agree that the Shuttle is more about NYC/LGA than BOS, I just wonder how much longer the useful life of the Shuttles are and how long DL and AA stay committed to them. I say this as someone who spends a lot of time running between NYC and BOS--most of it on planes despite my better judgment. The new Amtrak upgraded trains and rail improvements start rolling in the coming year and will be fully implemented by 2021. Even if it only shaves a few minutes off the trip time, they are adding a ton more capacity and will be every 30 minutes to DC and hourly to Boston. At some point DL gives up on hourly LGA-DCA flights. I just wonder if AA uses DL's cue and cuts BOS-LGA from hourly to semi-hourly. (I mean, not to be a jerk about it, but AA seems to use DL's lead as cover to make a lot of service changes.)

As an aside, DL giving up on DCA-LGA is probably good for BOS, as it gives slots DL can use to start BOS-DCA service. I know for a fact its on the DL list...they just don't have enough slots to be a legit player on the route.

The problem with the train is that a lot of people flying that route probably don't live in Boston proper. As painful as it can be to get to Logan during rush hour, getting to South Station and finding parking is even harder. So I believe that there will always be a parallel market for the shuttle.
What i wonder is what that market would be like if an airline started to put its code on the Amtrak trains. i think that would be a very interesting development.

In reverse order:
- Amtrak and United do have a codeshare relationship and you can earn MileagePlus miles on the Acela to NYP. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/mi ... mtrak.html
I have no idea how many people get UA miles on the Acela. I collect Amtrak points and have "Select Plus" status. I want to use it for a family vacation on the California Zephyr and Southwest chief (for anyone interested!) (and yes, I commute that much between BOS and NYC that I hold DL diamond status and Amtrak status....I know, sad).

- While parking at South Station is a pain and BackBay isn't great, you're forgetting Route 128 station (which I think is technically in Canton but I think of as being in Westwood). For anyone west of JP in Boston, this is probably easier and now that I've moved out of the Boston and to the western suburbs is my preferred station (I used to take the Acela back home, get off at BackBay and jump on the Orange line home to Charlestown). Given its location right off Route 128, anyone from Milton/Braintree (maybe Quincy) all the way up to Lexington can probably get to 128 station faster than Logan.

I lived in Charlestown for about 10 years before moving to NYC, and am moving back later this year. Small world.

My in-laws are in Hingham and use 128 whenever they come to visit us - they'll be doing that tomorrow in fact.

tlecam

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:24 pm

I wonder what the timings are for the Norwegian FCO and MAD flights? Those 787s will take up some space in Terminal E.

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:50 pm

tlecam wrote:
I wonder what the timings are for the Norwegian FCO and MAD flights? Those 787s will take up some space in Terminal E.

adam posted the FCO timings earlier 3/31 to 10/25
16.30A - 18.30D days 1,3
21.00A - 23.00D days 5,7

MAD is 3 weekly 5/2 thru 10/24
20.00A - 23.55D

When you add this up, it's essentially 1 daily aircraft on the ground, but the timings are all over the place. Days 1 and 3 for the FCO flight are fine, no space issues there, but for the FCO other flights and MAD there is simply no gate space. lots of stand moving coming up i think. especially that MAD flight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

33lspotter

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:07 pm

VS4ever wrote:
tlecam wrote:

16.30A - 18.30D days 1,3
21.00A - 23.00D days 5,7

20.00A - 23.55D

When you add this up, it's essentially 1 daily aircraft on the ground, but the timings are all over the place. Days 1 and 3 for the FCO flight are fine, no space issues there, but for the FCO other flights and MAD there is simply no gate space. lots of stand moving coming up i think. especially that MAD flight.

I like the spreadsheet. I do find it interesting that — unless I'm reading it wrong — the Whalebus on the BA213/212 rotation will be at Gate 2. I've only ever seen it parked at Gate 12 (and I believe 10-12 are the A380 gates).

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 pm

33lspotter wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
tlecam wrote:

16.30A - 18.30D days 1,3
21.00A - 23.00D days 5,7

20.00A - 23.55D

I like the spreadsheet. I do find it interesting that — unless I'm reading it wrong — the Whalebus on the BA213/212 rotation will be at Gate 2. I've only ever seen it parked at Gate 12 (and I believe 10-12 are the A380 gates).

unfortunately, you are mistaken, there is absolutely no way for me to tell who gets what gate, the 1-12 was merely a place holder to make sure I had the correct amount of gate slots available and as you can see, i've had to use 12A,B,C etc, when there are over runs or 2 airlines sharing a particular slot. I do that just to make it easier to read. I agree the A380 does use 12 and should be on that line technically, but that's not how the spreadsheet was designed due to the general common usage of the gates and it was easier for me to run BA all together. I might try and get a bit more technical with it and align some of the gate usage, but for right now, this is how it is :)

33lspotter

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:18 pm

VS4ever wrote:
unfortunately, you are mistaken, there is absolutely no way for me to tell who gets what gate, the 1-12 was merely a place holder to make sure I had the correct amount of gate slots available and as you can see, i've had to use 12A,B,C etc, when there are over runs or 2 airlines sharing a particular slot. I do that just to make it easier to read. I agree the A380 does use 12 and should be on that line technically, but that's not how the spreadsheet was designed due to the general common usage of the gates and it was easier for me to run BA all together. I might try and get a bit more technical with it and align some of the gate usage, but for right now, this is how it is :)

Makes sense. Still, cool to see who is scheduled to be here (and when)!

jworks158

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:03 pm

I came across a different set of renderings of the terminal E expansion today. Not sure if this was just a design proposal or it is final. https://www.kpf.com/projects/terminal-e-extension

pitbosflyer

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm

jworks158 wrote:
I came across a different set of renderings of the terminal E expansion today. Not sure if this was just a design proposal or it is final. https://www.kpf.com/projects/terminal-e-extension

Oh wow....that looks so beautiful.

B752OS

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:06 pm

jworks158 wrote:

This was a proposal and not selected.

adamh8297

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:07 pm

VS4ever wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

16.30A - 18.30D days 1,3
21.00A - 23.00D days 5,7

20.00A - 23.55D

Could the MAD arrival become a CDG or LGW departure? i.e DY using a plane to do MAD-BOS-CDG-JFK for example

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:27 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
33lspotter wrote:

Could the MAD arrival become a CDG or LGW departure? i.e DY using a plane to do MAD-BOS-CDG-JFK for example

Not really no, the timings are too tight or very tight. As MAD is 8pm arrival, CDG departure is the right timing, but the wrong days (MAD is 2,4,6, CDG is 1,3,5 and 7) and LGW departs on 2,4,6 at 8.35pm

NickolayAv

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Interesting https://thepointsguy.com/news/oneworld- ... air-maroc/
Halfway through the article when it talks about the addition of Miami it also states Boston will be added in July.
I have said this route will happen, no official confirmation yet, but something is definitely in the works here.
BOS is just not slowing down!

Dieuwer

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:08 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Days 1 and 3 for the FCO flight are fine, no space issues there, but for the FCO other flights and MAD there is simply no gate space. lots of stand moving coming up i think. especially that MAD flight.

If gate space is becoming such a precious commodity at Logan, then Massport should consider putting a hefty price tag on those slots. Let the airlines bid for slots/gate space. The highest bidder wins.

FGITD

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:28 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
Days 1 and 3 for the FCO flight are fine, no space issues there, but for the FCO other flights and MAD there is simply no gate space. lots of stand moving coming up i think. especially that MAD flight.

If gate space is becoming such a precious commodity at Logan, then Massport should consider putting a hefty price tag on those slots. Let the airlines bid for slots/gate space. The highest bidder wins.

Eventually something has to give. Currently massport is jamming the terminal full, and when the airlines (and even the massport staff on the ground) complain about space constraints/delays, they're pretty much told "deal with it. Look at how amazing our growth is"

the new terminal expansion is going to be overpacked before construction even begins.

As for bidding on slots. I think it's a great idea, because I'm sure the gates would go to the legacy carriers. LH, BA, AF, FI, LY, VS would pay a premium to have a guaranteed gate. No more ground holding for certain carriers who claim they need 5 more minutes on the gate, but in actuality haven't even started boarding.

But I can also see the inverse effect. Start charging, and the international carriers might try to leave from the same terminals as their partners. And the low cost might just leave altogether.

Dieuwer

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:34 pm

FGITD wrote:
But I can also see the inverse effect. Start charging, and the international carriers might try to leave from the same terminals as their partners. And the low cost might just leave altogether.

So what? IMHO, all SkyTeam carriers should depart from Terminal A. Period.

FGITD

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:53 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Oh I agree, trust me. And I'm sure AF/KL, Korean, and Virgin would love to. But Massport wants all internationals in E. Except of course for the few exceptions.

Terminal A would be quite the place in the summer.

3 to CDG, 3 to AMS, 2 to LHR, and 1 to MAN, plus the new 1 to INC

Actually on second thought, maybe DL doesn't want everyone over there....

airbazar

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:11 pm

NickolayAv wrote:
Halfway through the article when it talks about the addition of Miami it also states Boston will be added in July.
I have said this route will happen, no official confirmation yet, but something is definitely in the works here.

My first thought was: If they enjoy losing money, they should definitely go for it. I'm not even convinced that MIA has enough of a market.
But then I realized that Portugal and Spain are really hot markets right now and with their low fares they may actually provide an alternative to the expensive euro carriers.
One of the problem for RAM is their hub is in Casablanca but more visitors want to go to Marrakesh, and CMN is not a pleasant airport from what I hear. It's an interesting business strategy to be in a non-existent O&D market for sure.

ASA

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:22 pm

NickolayAv wrote:

WOW ... that's just awesome! Hope it happens ... I'll hold off on my Morocco trip until next year then :D

About the other announcements from DY on FCO and MAD ... Hooray on that too! Love those shiny red-tipped 787s!

The news article on USA Today mentioned about LGW and CDG only ... what about the OSL and CPH routes, did I miss something?

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:39 pm

FGITD wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Oh I agree, trust me. And I'm sure AF/KL, Korean, and Virgin would love to. But Massport wants all internationals in E. Except of course for the few exceptions.

Then there is just the minor issue of CBP and staffing of CBP, where would you put it when you need access to A13 to A17 for International flights, it needs to be a sterile area, which would mean you would have to have a separate channel for domestic arrivals should they use those gates, otherwise you lost that option to use 5 gates completely for domestic and that would significantly negate the benefit of DL getting access to the whole of A next year.
I think we all agree it would be a great solution to have that ability, but without some serious structural changes, it's unlikely to happen and more importantly Massport isn't even thinking about it because it's not on the 5 year capital project list (otherwise we would have been salivating over the potential for months now).

As FGITD states, it is highly likely that by 2022 when E13-E17 opens, even though they have options for mixed mode (NB or WB operation), that with WB usage there's only room for 4 more WB jets and with the max usage around 5 per day per gate, we are looking at 20 slots available and that's assuming EI and TP continue to use C because of pre-clearance for EI and TP's relationship with B6. With that set up, Massport is more banking on the 321 type flight arrangements rather than the 330's and 777's to expand, you should be able to turn around 321's much faster than your average WB and with 2 gates rather than 1 available at 13-17, you would be looking at up to 40 gate slots, although we all know in reality it would never be that.

BOS just was never really set up for true international arrivals in A to C, apart from those with pre-clearance (AC, WS, EI and US territory arrivals), which again suggests we need a re-build, but there are much bigger issues afoot there if that happens. Massport wants them in E, because it's clean and simple and can charge a separate rate for them to use that terminal, it's also invested and is investing a huge amount of money in that terminal to improve and expand it and as a result wants/needs an ROI on that work to make sense, pointless if you then punt a bunch of folks over to A or B or C.
None of this is ideal, and changing it would take a long long time, but these are the cards dealt with BOS and unless you could figure out how to put another deck on the satellite and reconfigure the pax flow, we are kind of stuck.

airbazar

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 pm

FGITD wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
FGITD wrote:

It's not a matter of who wants to be there or not. It's a matter of terminal A not having enough widebody gates to support all of Sky Team.
It's all well and dandy as long as it's just a few Delta 757/767 which are Group IV. But the 787/777/A330 that DL's partners fly in here are all Group V, in addition to DLs own A330's. Terminal A was simply not built to be a major long haul terminal. It does not have enough gates to host AF+KL+VS+KE+DL.

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm

airbazar wrote:
FGITD wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

It's not a matter of who wants to be there or not. It's a matter of terminal A not having enough widebody gates to support all of Sky Team.
It's all well and dandy as long as it's just a few Delta 757/767 which are Group IV. But the 787/777/A330 that DL's partners fly in here are all Group V, in addition to DLs own A330's. Terminal A was simply not built to be a major long haul terminal. It does not have enough gates to host AF+KL+VS+KE+DL.

Out of curiousity and FGITD you might know this or anyone else for that matter, can A10 take a Group IV jet, it appears to have a double jetway and a enough space for something bigger than an Ejet or a 321, but the pic is blurred when you get close enough when you look on google maps to tell what it's actually lined out for, it looks like you could without blocking 9 or 11 or the B gates for that matter.

B752OS

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Assuming this level of international service holds, maybe, just maybe Massport will look at doing something with 32/14 and the cargo ops area.

Ideally, Massport would find a way to keep the cargo facilities and their current size and add another satellite concourse in Terminal, say large enough for 6 wide body gates and then move all of the Sky Team airlines over there. Between DL (arrivals from LHR, CDG, AMS, DUB, EDI, LIS), KE (ICN), AZ (FCO), KL (AMS) and AF (CDG), that would certainly help take some stress off of Terminal E.

Or, Massport might re-think some of the plans for the second phase of the Terminal E expansion. At present, phase 1 is approved and will add 4 wide body gates. Phase 2 is supposed to add 1 wide body gate and 2 narrow body gates. Massport might think it easier to move the economy lot and make phase 2 larger - add 3 wide body gates and 1 narrow body gate.

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 pm

B752OS wrote:
Assuming this level of international service holds, maybe, just maybe Massport will look at doing something with 32/14 and the cargo ops area.

Ideally, Massport would find a way to keep the cargo facilities and their current size and add another satellite concourse in Terminal, say large enough for 6 wide body gates and then move all of the Sky Team airlines over there. Between DL (arrivals from LHR, CDG, AMS, DUB, EDI, LIS), KE (ICN), AZ (FCO), KL (AMS) and AF (CDG), that would certainly help take some stress off of Terminal E.

I am not sure that does a whole lot to be honest. DL's arrivals with the exception of DUB that goes to A anyway due to pre-clearance, all arrive before 5pm, when it's actually relatively quiet. KE is in the morning when it's pretty dead anyway, KL, AZ and AF would gain benefit from it, although my suspicion is that those 3 would get preferential treatment in terms of gates anyway being front-line international airlines. You would still have the issue of the CBP situation and how that would be resolved.

All that said, I do agree, I think expansion if it were to happen would have to be in that area (outside of the already agreed Phase 2 Terminal E expansion for the final 3 gates), with some serious relocation taking place to make it work, do i think it's likely to happen, doubtful and certainly not planned to start in the next 5 years or so, but longer term (2030) it might have to be considered, although be interesting to see if DL would be willing to stump up a bunch of cash for it, given they would likely be the beneficiary of the result.

BOSMEMFlyer

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 pm

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news ... ngers.html

"The expansions come while Logan prepares for some of its largest carriers – JetBlue, Delta, Southwest and United – to increase their numbers of daily flights to or from Boston.

Pranckevicious said Logan is on pace to serve 40.8 million passengers in 2018. In the next seven to 10 years, he said, Logan's annual passenger count is expected to jump to 50 million."

Any idea on what United might be planning here beyond increased frequency to hubs?

airbazar

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:22 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
Any idea on what United might be planning here beyond increased frequency to hubs?

No idea but I would absolutely love to see UA bring back BOS-LHR. It's crazy to think that *A does not have a presence in one of the largest (and by many accounts high yield), TATL routes.

B752OS

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:27 pm

VS4ever wrote:
B752OS wrote:

I am not sure that does a whole lot to be honest. DL's arrivals with the exception of DUB that goes to A anyway due to pre-clearance, all arrive before 5pm, when it's actually relatively quiet. KE is in the morning when it's pretty dead anyway, KL, AZ and AF would gain benefit from it, although my suspicion is that those 3 would get preferential treatment in terms of gates anyway being front-line international airlines. You would still have the issue of the CBP situation and how that would be resolved.

All that said, I do agree, I think expansion if it were to happen would have to be in that area (outside of the already agreed Phase 2 Terminal E expansion for the final 3 gates), with some serious relocation taking place to make it work, do i think it's likely to happen, doubtful and certainly not planned to start in the next 5 years or so, but longer term (2030) it might have to be considered, although be interesting to see if DL would be willing to stump up a bunch of cash for it, given they would likely be the beneficiary of the result.

Of course, the crux of CBP staffing. You're right, it needs to be handled. How does that get taken care of? Massport doing some lobbying? Reps getting involved?

VS4ever

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:40 pm

BOSMEMFlyer wrote:
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2018/11/28/massport-investing-big-to-handle-more-passengers.html

"The expansions come while Logan prepares for some of its largest carriers – JetBlue, Delta, Southwest and United – to increase their numbers of daily flights to or from Boston.

Pranckevicious said Logan is on pace to serve 40.8 million passengers in 2018. In the next seven to 10 years, he said, Logan's annual passenger count is expected to jump to 50 million."

Not much, they aren't going to get any more gate space to do anything too radical to be honest, nor do they seem to care to. Per the June board meeting, Massport noted that UA might go up 7 departures a day from 44 to 51, so based on the number of gates they are going to get in the new config, which looks to be around 7 (which would be right for around 7 turns a day per gate), I think you are probably going to get additional hub frequencies more than anything,
Sources: http://www.massport.com/media/3006/june ... rmark1.pdf (slide 7 for the departure count change)

http://www.massport.com/media/3007/july ... ermark.pdf (slide 112 right hand side B23-B29 I believe is what they are getting)

http://www.massport.com/media/2704/0118 ... ermark.pdf (although based on slide 126, there maybe a combo situation with B22, that gives UA partial access to an 8th gate)

airbazar

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:18 pm

B752OS wrote:
Of course, the crux of CBP staffing. You're right, it needs to be handled. How does that get taken care of? Massport doing some lobbying? Reps getting involved?

Without more gates that can handle widebodies at terminal A there is no business case for CBP at terminal A at this point. The expansion of terminal E all but rules out an additional CBP facility at another terminal in the foreseeable future, IMO. If 10 years down line Massport sees the need for more international gates there's the option of expanding the terminal towards the economy garage (maybe a sateline terminal?), as mentioned above or converting some gates in terminal C to mixed use similar to how NW operated out of terminal E. Massport could relatively easily convert part of terminal C to mixed use gates and have all of B6 partner airlines use those gates as they half do that today already. Wouldn't be surprised if that is not the long term plan already.

jworks158

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:34 pm

VS4ever wrote:

When WW eventually goes under which analysts predict is imminent, that will up open up a prime slot (17:30-19:30)

VS4ever

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 pm

jworks158 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

When WW eventually goes under which analysts predict is imminent, that will up open up a prime slot (17:30-19:30)

That is indeed true and something we will need to keep notice of, the question will be who is interested in that slot? It appears RAM might be looking for space given an earlier post, could FI jump back to 3x daily and swipe it, or is there a new contender in the wings. But I am almost certain someone is going to come in and swipe it for sure.

rob2507

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm

AA is bringing their premium transcon product to Boston next year: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -b-454018/
Two round-trips supported, while dropping one from JFK.

hinckley

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Does anyone know whether there have been any developments regarding the first phase of the Terminal E expansion? I think Massport said it would open in mid-2021 and their past projects have been impressively completed on-time. But as far as I know, a final design has not been agreed (although a preliminary one won the architect's selection process) nor have any construction RFPs been issued. For a project of its size and scope, completion within two and a half years feels unrealistic now.

VS4ever

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 pm

So I finally got a chance to complete an update on my analysis for Massport numbers going all the way back to 1998 (fun task i can tell you copying from PDF's by month) and here it is.
Usual formats for reporting (Month, YTD, Year and Rolling), I have run 2 sets of analysis, every year for the last 5 years and then every 5 years since 1998 so that you can compare the growth rates accordingly. In addition, I have a min/max/average grid to show you the highest and lowest for each element.

On top of this, I have created charts for each option (month, ytd and year) to show some simple trends over time, so for Month, the charts show the total for each month over the time and you can see the trend from those, YTD shows (Jan to Oct) etc. all yours to look at.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MCjF8 ... Gyp3ZDShlK

Here's my take on life:
Pax numbers:
Month:
For October 18, all the major categories were highest ever, the only exceptions to that were GA, Commuter and Charter, however Commuter was the highest since October 09, referencing the uplift due to 3M and 4B, some additional DL flying, and a bit of a rebound for 9K (these are somewhat anecdotal as it will be a few months before we get the T-100's to attempt to cooborate those findings. Flight count totals up to 38,000 which is the highest since 2000 when they fell off a cliff in 01 because of 9/11. Avg Pax counts domestically have breached 100, however the caveat to that is that number is diluted due to cargo flights which are not separately reported by Massport, to put that into perspective 1998 was only 55. Bigger planes, more connections, mean way more people! You will also see the same trend on Canada, where back in the day average pax counts were 29, now they are up to 56, a big reflection on how the Canadian market has developed over the last couple of years, it's gone up 12 per flight in the past 5 years alone.
The starkest change is mail, which also collapsed at 9/11, 13m a month in 1998, now down to 2.5m, although it has ticked up and is also at it's highest point since 2009. Express and Freight, particularly supported by International (Int. Freight at 26m lbs is the highest on record), have increased back to levels not seen since 2008 and 2000 respectively, combined we are looking at levels not seen since 2004.

YTD:
For October 18, a number of the major categories continue to set records, particularly Domestic Jet and Europe. Middle East and Caribbean dropped back from their peaks due to the EK 1 daily change and reduction in Caribbean flying due to the hurricane last year. Flight count totals up to 357,000 which is the highest since 2001 when they fell off a cliff in 02 because of 9/11 International flight counts are an all time record at 45,000. Avg Pax counts domestically have reached 98, however the caveat to that is that number is diluted due to cargo flights which are not separately reported by Massport, to put that into perspective 1998 was only 53 and of course uses a blending of Commuter vs Jet numbers. Bigger planes, more connections, mean way more people! You will also see the same trend on Canada, where back in the day average pax counts were 25, now they are up to 53, a big reflection on how the Canadian market has developed over the last couple of years, it's gone up 15 per flight in the past 5 years alone. In addition, we can also see increases in Asia, Mid East and South America, Central America dropped back a little, but some of that maybe due to the increased capacity on PTY diluting the number a bit in terms of pax carried per flight.
Mail has rebounded back to 2008 levels, but will never return back to the levels shown in 1998-2001, International Freight set a record in 2018 with 222m lbs, which helped push YTD Combined Freight numbers to a level not seen since 2002 as for Express 328m YTD represents a level not seen since 2007 and as a result combined freight/express has returned to levels (581m) that goes all the way back to 2005 and I expect this trend to continue.

You can look at the rest yourselves, now I have managed to update everything, maintenance will be easy and I will be able to report this monthly when the Massport numbers come out.

Enjoy.

tomaheath

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 am

VS4ever wrote:
So I finally got a chance to complete an update on my analysis for Massport numbers going all the way back to 1998 (fun task i can tell you copying from PDF's by month) and here it is.
Usual formats for reporting (Month, YTD, Year and Rolling), I have run 2 sets of analysis, every year for the last 5 years and then every 5 years since 1998 so that you can compare the growth rates accordingly. In addition, I have a min/max/average grid to show you the highest and lowest for each element.

On top of this, I have created charts for each option (month, ytd and year) to show some simple trends over time, so for Month, the charts show the total for each month over the time and you can see the trend from those, YTD shows (Jan to Oct) etc. all yours to look at.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MCjF8 ... Gyp3ZDShlK

Here's my take on life:
Pax numbers:
Month:
For October 18, all the major categories were highest ever, the only exceptions to that were GA, Commuter and Charter, however Commuter was the highest since October 09, referencing the uplift due to 3M and 4B, some additional DL flying, and a bit of a rebound for 9K (these are somewhat anecdotal as it will be a few months before we get the T-100's to attempt to cooborate those findings. Flight count totals up to 38,000 which is the highest since 2000 when they fell off a cliff in 01 because of 9/11. Avg Pax counts domestically have breached 100, however the caveat to that is that number is diluted due to cargo flights which are not separately reported by Massport, to put that into perspective 1998 was only 55. Bigger planes, more connections, mean way more people! You will also see the same trend on Canada, where back in the day average pax counts were 29, now they are up to 56, a big reflection on how the Canadian market has developed over the last couple of years, it's gone up 12 per flight in the past 5 years alone.
The starkest change is mail, which also collapsed at 9/11, 13m a month in 1998, now down to 2.5m, although it has ticked up and is also at it's highest point since 2009. Express and Freight, particularly supported by International (Int. Freight at 26m lbs is the highest on record), have increased back to levels not seen since 2008 and 2000 respectively, combined we are looking at levels not seen since 2004.

YTD:
For October 18, a number of the major categories continue to set records, particularly Domestic Jet and Europe. Middle East and Caribbean dropped back from their peaks due to the EK 1 daily change and reduction in Caribbean flying due to the hurricane last year. Flight count totals up to 357,000 which is the highest since 2001 when they fell off a cliff in 02 because of 9/11 International flight counts are an all time record at 45,000. Avg Pax counts domestically have reached 98, however the caveat to that is that number is diluted due to cargo flights which are not separately reported by Massport, to put that into perspective 1998 was only 53 and of course uses a blending of Commuter vs Jet numbers. Bigger planes, more connections, mean way more people! You will also see the same trend on Canada, where back in the day average pax counts were 25, now they are up to 53, a big reflection on how the Canadian market has developed over the last couple of years, it's gone up 15 per flight in the past 5 years alone. In addition, we can also see increases in Asia, Mid East and South America, Central America dropped back a little, but some of that maybe due to the increased capacity on PTY diluting the number a bit in terms of pax carried per flight.
Mail has rebounded back to 2008 levels, but will never return back to the levels shown in 1998-2001, International Freight set a record in 2018 with 222m lbs, which helped push YTD Combined Freight numbers to a level not seen since 2002 as for Express 328m YTD represents a level not seen since 2007 and as a result combined freight/express has returned to levels (581m) that goes all the way back to 2005 and I expect this trend to continue.

You can look at the rest yourselves, now I have managed to update everything, maintenance will be easy and I will be able to report this monthly when the Massport numbers come out.

Enjoy.

Very much appreciate all the work and information you have for us. Well done.

adamh8297

Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 pm

The BOS-PVG flight will continue onto CKG upon arrival to Shanghai. I guess HU will try to market it to people in that city.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 44445.html

ASA

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:20 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
The BOS-PVG flight will continue onto CKG upon arrival to Shanghai. I guess HU will try to market it to people in that city.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 44445.html

As China grows, are secondary cities becoming markets for direct Boston flights?

With CTU (when that starts) ... this will be the second secondary market from BOS :bigthumbsup:

chrisnh

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:47 pm

So if I read this timetable correctly the plane sits nearly three hours before continuing on to Boston? That doesn’t sound like an impressive ‘direct’ flight.

chrisnh

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:34 am

The QR 77W was supposed to be an interim switch at BOS, lasting only this month and next. But if you trust their own on-line timetable, it continues well into next summer. So one might infer that forward-looking bookings are good for them, which might portend a response from EK.

johhn14

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:51 am

Recently booked a trip on QR for next month. The business seat map looks about 2/3 full as of now which seems pretty respectable.

Excited to fly QR for the first time but sad I won’t get the Q suite on the long haul (though it looks like I get it on my connecting flight!).

I’ve been a loyal EK flyer and would have flown them again if the 380 was here but felt like a change of pace.

VS4ever

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Ok, time to publish the On-time Performance Data I pulled last month, but now including September Data.

Link to my report: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iDtS0 ... KxFLzJZtQ_

Caveats

Like any tables from the DOT they have their limits, here's this tables:

1. Data only from Jan 2018, no previous comparatives at the regional carrier level available, although total carrier level is available for prior years i have ignored this for the purposes of the exercise.
2. Domestic, PR and USVI only, no international data available.
3. Carriers reporting: DL, UA, AA, WN, B6, NK, AS
4. Carriers reporting regional ops, DL, UA, AA
5. AS is combined with VX
6. As this is the BOS thread. only BOS routes are included. To do much more is beyond the power of my computing, 7 months alone provided me with 176,000 rows of data, to pull MA, I removed anything not related to BOS, although for B6, I do have the figures for ORH, which i have added to the file within a B6 page
7. For this version, i have done a Month (Sep) , QTD (Q3), YTD (Jan to Sep).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How the report works:

New Information
This month, I have figured out how to pull which Tail for each airline has passed through BOS the most, it does not give me actual model data, but for future months i may look that up if I can. I have added the Tail number and the number of times it passed through. For a couple of airlines, the data is not 100% complete, so the largest number is a "blank", so I have gone with the next largest number to have a reference.

Section 1 -
a) Bidirectional data of number of flights, cancellations and diverts, showing a net completion # and % along with a rough average stage length, grand totals attempt to be weighted average, still working through that.
b) Average Elapsed Time is total flight time including air and ground, separated by air and ground underneath. Ground time is effectively a combination of Taxi Time out (departure) and Taxi Time in (arrival) at the relevant airports.
c) # of aircraft used: this is quite awesome information, although i wish it was just a little more detailed, basically this table has "tail reg" information, so i can actually count how many aircraft are used by each carrier. I can actually dive into how many on a particular route if needed, but i do not have aircraft types or load factors in these tables, so please do not ask if i do!. However what I DO have is which aircraft are used on which route on a given day and by flight number, and times if you are interested, please ask. I also have the detailed tables for each airline, but be warned they are big, so it's unlikely i can send them directly to you.

Section 2 -
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is OUTBOUND from BOS only information, so it's not the same as section 1.
# of flights, cancellations and diversions for a % completion factor, # of departures per day is based on the the gross number not the net and remember does NOT include international, so complaining that DL are at 115 for example and the data is wrong, is incorrect, because as noted, it's domestic only.. sorry.

Section 3
Also OUTBOUND only
This is On Time Performance, so net of cancellations, how many were delayed out of BOS, On-time as defined by DOT is leaving less than 15 minutes late, % OTP to see who is doing better than others. The departures per day shows how many flights are getting off the ground as opposed to section 2, which is how many are supposed to each day.

Section 4
I'm still getting to grips with this section, however basically a breakout of the key delay factors reported by this table i am working with. Carrier Delay is delays caused by non-aircraft carrier activities, Weather and ATC are obvious, then there is Inbound aircraft delay as well. ALSO OUTBOUND from BOS info.

Section 5
Breakdown of why flights are cancelled by category, whether by the carrier, Weather or ATC

Section 6
Breakdown of how long flights were delayed for and how many
-2 to 0 - on time
12 = 180+, no limit, others are blocked by 15 minute intervals.

Other Info
Highest and Lowest in each section, for those with multi-carriers, i have split those out on separate tabs for viewing along with ORH information for B6.

Commentary

Month - September
UA takes the outbound flights completed award (as a percentage) having only suffering 8 cancellations for a 99.39% completion rate closely followed by DL with 99.31% (15 cancelled and 3 diverted), the wooden spoon again goes to AA who suffered 75 cancellations and 5 diversions for a 96.92% completion (still to be fair it was over 2% higher than August). AA was hindered by Envoy's 92.9% rating this month, despite having 57 cancellations AA mainline managed over 97%.
B6 ran 140 departures on average per day, DL tied AA with 86.

On-time performance continues to be very different. AS wins this month with 82.59%, followed by UA on 81.94%, bringing up the rear is B6 79.52% and NK 74.44%.

Overall 65% of flights departed early and AS managed to get 70% of theirs out in that category, followed by B6 with 66.3%. However once you get past that, everything flips with the on-time 0-15 minutes late category going to WN with 21.5% and UA with 19.4%, AS and B6 drop to 12.6 and 13.3% respectively. NK had over 4% of the flights delayed more than 2 hours , UA also were high at 3.7%

In terms of reasons why flights were late, NK got hammered with 47 minute ATC delays on average (when planes were late), WN suffered from inbound aircraft being 44 minutes late (DL was second with 35) and B6 drove the most carrier delays at an average of 20 minutes.
130 flights out of 12,214 recorded (domestic-outbound only) were delayed more than 3 hours. More surprisingly, 51 flights departed more than 15 minutes Early...

YTD - September

UA wins the outbound flights completed award (as a percentage) with a 97.58% completion rate, the wooden spoon goes to AA that suffered 1,080 cancellations and 58 diversions for a 95.66% completion. 63% of DL's cancellations of 703 were driven by YX and 9E, their regionals, which confirms that this is what they do potentially to keep their mainline numbers up. AA gave up 849 mainline which is roughly 80% of their total.
B6 ran 138 departures per day, DL is ahead of AA 85 to 81.

For One time performance . WN sneaks it YTD by 0.01% (81.78 to 81.77) from AA. , still roughly 4.1% above average for the data. B6 brings up the rear with 71.72% which is 4.5% lower than 6th placed NK but has improved by 1% over August.

Overall 57% of flights departed early and AA was the leader with 65% of theirs going out in that category, B6 brings up the rear with 51.1%. Next category for on-time is rather consistent but WN win out with 28.5%.

The late category shows NK having over 4.6% of their flights delayed over 2 hours. B6 and DL tie at 4.6% based on percentage But B6 have a bigger volume with nearly 1,100 in .

In terms of reasons why flights were late,
    NK- 53 minute ATC Delays
    DL - 44 minute inbound aircraft delays
    DL - 30 minute carrier delays

1.531 flights delayed more than 3 hours, 286 left more than 15 minutes early

Anyway, plenty more data for you to look at in the file. Enjoy.

Dieuwer

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:41 pm

I noticed that the FCO and MAD flights can be purchased on Norwegian's website(s), but I cannot seem to find it in the GDS (Matrix). Is that normal?

iyerhari

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:00 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Ok, time to publish the On-time Performance Data I pulled last month, but now including September Data.

Anyway, plenty more data for you to look at in the file. Enjoy.

I really do not know what more to say VS4ever for publishing all the details. You bring in so much to all of us that we are unable to keep up to reviewing the details that you analyze :) I am sure this maybe echoed by everyone else in this forum. Massport knows you as they sent me your website link when I had asked for details as they do not divulge them :)

Thank you once again and making this forum truly informative!

Two other updates on completely different topics:

1. Please do take some time to see the updated central dome of Terminal B if you have plans. It is a very nice looking terminal and I will say the dining options are far better there than A or C IMO. I know tastes are subjective but it is a nice terminal now. Construction is still in full steam and I believe will continue but in the past few weeks, I now travel to ORD from the remodeled LUS side vs. the old AA side.

2. BOS is way ahead of MSP at this stage. IAH Oct-2018 nos. are still not out yet so I do not know where exactly we stand from an overall standpoint.

BOS MSP-BOS MSP
Jan 2,576,261 108,549 2,684,810
Feb 2,605,207 105,812 2,711,019
Mar 3,197,326 213,541 3,410,867
Apr 3,508,607 (515,345) 2,993,262
May 3,705,129 (477,639) 3,227,490
Jun 3,843,131 (327,466) 3,515,665
Jul 3,999,933 (334,925) 3,665,008
Aug 4,044,126 (313,725) 3,730,401
Sep 3,393,644 (351,319) 3,042,325
Oct 3,677,923 (452,142) 3,225,781
Nov
Dec

Totals 34,551,287 (2,344,659) 32,206,628

33lspotter

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 am

Not sure if this has been covered, but looks like DL will be upgauging BOS-LHR from the 763ER to the A332 next spring (based on a dummy booking I started for April). Will be the first DL A332 in BOS IIRC as BOS-AMS is an A333.

VS4ever

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-03dec18/

VS switching from a 330 to a 789 for the winter 19 season for the new morning flight

LH423

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am

33lspotter wrote:
Not sure if this has been covered, but looks like DL will be upgauging BOS-LHR from the 763ER to the A332 next spring (based on a dummy booking I started for April). Will be the first DL A332 in BOS IIRC as BOS-AMS is an A333.

The 332 was scheduled on the second AMS rotation a few summers back and does sub in for the 333 on occasion on the AMS route. That said, when looked at in context of the duration of the life of the A330s at NW and DL, the 332 has been a relatively infrequent visitor. Given their increased range, they've been traditionally used for SEA/PDX intercontinental routes as well as ATL-Europe flights that were too long for the earlier 333 models. Now that they've taken delivery of increased MTOW 333s and the 339s and 359s arrive, they have a bit more flexibility.

I'm guessing this is in response to continued robust J demand? Given DL have struggled to fill the 767 most of the year, they must feel they'll get get a solid ROI out of those additional J seats. At a time when the capacity on the route is about to increase substantially when VS add their morning flight, you'd think they'd want to try to reduce Y capacity as much as possible. Especially when their combined load factor is lagging BA, who are also going to be increasing capacity with the 380 going daily, putting further downward pressure on yields.

LH423

chrisnh

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:22 am

In bringing the A380 to Boston every day next summer, they also are doing away with the 744s: the other three flights are all 777s. So I’m not sure how that nets out for them in terms of seats, and whether that prompted the DL move.

hinckley

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

LH423 wrote:
I'm guessing this is in response to continued robust J demand? Given DL have struggled to fill the 767 most of the year, they must feel they'll get get a solid ROI out of those additional J seats. At a time when the capacity on the route is about to increase substantially when VS add their morning flight, you'd think they'd want to try to reduce Y capacity as much as possible. Especially when their combined load factor is lagging BA, who are also going to be increasing capacity with the 380 going daily, putting further downward pressure on yields.

I just looked at seatguru, and it looks like the 332 has a couple fewer J seats than the 763. If that's correct, the switch is surprising to me. I've taken the DL flight to LHR pretty frequently, sitting up front. And there's never more than a couple of empty seats. That said, DL's A330 J class is far superior to thier 767's imo.

airbazar

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 pm

hinckley wrote:
LH423 wrote:

I just looked at seatguru, and it looks like the 332 has a couple fewer J seats than the 763. If that's correct, the switch is surprising to me. I've taken the DL flight to LHR pretty frequently, sitting up front. And there's never more than a couple of empty seats. That said, DL's A330 J class is far superior to thier 767's imo.

DL has multiple configs on their 763's, some with more and some with fewer premium seats than on the A332. It comes down to which 763 they utilize on this route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos