airbazar
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
I was referring to the not-so-full ex-BOS flight and the quietish lounge in BOS.

I can't imagine this being a hugely popular time to travel from BOS on EK. 1st, colleges let out a week ago. Second, EK's main business from BOS is India and judging from all of my Indian co-workers, they don't care much about xmas or about traveling to India for xmas. Their preferred time to travel seems to be during the big festivals in the Fall. Also, you're not going to get much of any business travel happening this week.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 pm

airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I was referring to the not-so-full ex-BOS flight and the quietish lounge in BOS.

I can't imagine this being a hugely popular time to travel from BOS on EK. 1st, colleges let out a week ago. Second, EK's main business from BOS is India and judging from all of my Indian co-workers, they don't care much about xmas or about traveling to India for xmas. Their preferred time to travel seems to be during the big festivals in the Fall. Also, you're not going to get much of any business travel happening this week.


Last day of Finals for many schools were Thursday or Friday this week but depending on one's exam schedule people can leave earlier.

I'm a tiny bit surprised about Dieuwer's observations. Historically December has been mixed bag LF wise (70's to low 80's for EK) but typically stronger on the BOS-DXB leg.

2014 - 80.5% single daily and BOS-DXB leg was 97.1%
2015 - 70% double daily and BOS-DXB leg was 89.8%
2016 - 75.4% double daily and BOS-DXB leg was was 91.0% - this is despite QR's entry into BOS.
2017 - 74% single daily and BOS-DXB leg was 77.5% - this was a "recovery period" from travel ban, laptop ban etc

From looking at 2018 performance so far one would think a rebound was on order but let see what the data says in 6 months.

Regardless - Yield wise EK and probably everyone else probably does alright in December regardless of a few points down or up for LF.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
airbazar
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:47 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
I was referring to the not-so-full ex-BOS flight and the quietish lounge in BOS.

I can't imagine this being a hugely popular time to travel from BOS on EK. 1st, colleges let out a week ago. Second, EK's main business from BOS is India and judging from all of my Indian co-workers, they don't care much about xmas or about traveling to India for xmas. Their preferred time to travel seems to be during the big festivals in the Fall. Also, you're not going to get much of any business travel happening this week.


Last day of Finals for many schools were Thursday or Friday this week but depending on one's exam schedule people can leave earlier.

I guess Northeastern is different. Their last day of exams was Dec 14th.
 
johhn14
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:11 pm

I had to book with Qatar for flights in January as EK was too expensive / near full in J. Their Flex Plus fares are budget busters!

I’m EK Gold but excited to give Qatar a try; just wish they had the Q Suites for me. I’m a couple months too early.
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:55 am

adamh8297 wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.


Yikes, those first out and back are horrid times. 0450 is very early arrival and would be a primo request because those are very limited indeed due to LHR’s restrictions. An 0650 departure is nasty too, although getting here at 10am could allow for a decent work day if you are in the city.

Were these supposed to be options or were they really looking at 3 slot pairs? That would be some going if they were. I suspect not however.

As many in other threads have said B6 have no rights to slots at LHR than anyone else,so will be interesting to see what happens here
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:51 am

tlecam wrote:
LH423 wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
Not sure if this has been covered, but looks like DL will be upgauging BOS-LHR from the 763ER to the A332 next spring (based on a dummy booking I started for April). Will be the first DL A332 in BOS IIRC as BOS-AMS is an A333.


The 332 was scheduled on the second AMS rotation a few summers back and does sub in for the 333 on occasion on the AMS route. That said, when looked at in context of the duration of the life of the A330s at NW and DL, the 332 has been a relatively infrequent visitor. Given their increased range, they've been traditionally used for SEA/PDX intercontinental routes as well as ATL-Europe flights that were too long for the earlier 333 models. Now that they've taken delivery of increased MTOW 333s and the 339s and 359s arrive, they have a bit more flexibility.

I'm guessing this is in response to continued robust J demand? Given DL have struggled to fill the 767 most of the year, they must feel they'll get get a solid ROI out of those additional J seats. At a time when the capacity on the route is about to increase substantially when VS add their morning flight, you'd think they'd want to try to reduce Y capacity as much as possible. Especially when their combined load factor is lagging BA, who are also going to be increasing capacity with the 380 going daily, putting further downward pressure on yields.

LH423



Interesting. I wonder if this will be part of a rotation that includes re-positioning domestically (DTW or SEA?).

LHR is going all/mostly 330 in 2019. I was told it has a lot to do with cargo besides J. Its true that the 330 can haul more cargo than the 767, mostly because the 330 can also fit the standard sized cargo container. That all said, I am suspect on the cargo claims given that LHR isn't really a major transit center for DL/Skyteam. AMS would seem to be the logical place to move cargo through. But maybe there is a lot of freight demand. If its all true, then the 332 (as the baby wide body bus) makes sense if DL has slack in the network....they only have 7 of them, I think?


BOS-LHR is about as short of a premium international route as there is - barely enough time to sleep more than 4 hours - weird use for a 332 in the absence of some other reason.
 
jetbluefan1
Posts: 3271
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:39 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:33 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.


Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression LHR is closed overnight, so the arrival time for the first BOS-LHR flight seems a little early (and painful). I’m also a little surprised there is no morning BOS departure proposed. A 9am departure would be attractive to O&D traffic that doesn’t want to try to cram sleep into any of the short red eyes (such as myself if given the option), and could also get feed from morning arrivals from a bunch of domestic markets (including markets that do not have a nonstop option to London).

The 3x BOS/2x JFK split is also interesting, although not totally surprising. B6 has emphasized BOS over JFK in many ways, and this continues that trend.

Given the cost of these slots, I wonder if it makes more sense for B6 to wait for Brexit to be settled and to see what the final deal looks like. It could have major implications on demand, especially on the premium end, if no deal is reached or if uncertainty remains a longer term trend. B6 may get have the opportunity to scoop up slots at a much lower price (especially if they are sold in GBP).
 
User avatar
adamh8297
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:19 am

VS4ever wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:


Yikes, those first out and back are horrid times. 0450 is very early arrival and would be a primo request because those are very limited indeed due to LHR’s restrictions. An 0650 departure is nasty too, although getting here at 10am could allow for a decent work day if you are in the city.

Were these supposed to be options or were they really looking at 3 slot pairs? That would be some going if they were. I suspect not however.

As many in other threads have said B6 have no rights to slots at LHR than anyone else,so will be interesting to see what happens here


That arrival was similar to the MT BOS-MAN flight and the new B6 BUR-BOS flight.

In the long sheet of slots which came from a spreadsheet and put into pdf response by the Skyteam Carriers, B6's slots had a category of "WA" which may be some kind of "waitlist" or "wanting to buy"


jetbluefan1 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:


Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression LHR is closed overnight, so the arrival time for the first BOS-LHR flight seems a little early (and painful). I’m also a little surprised there is no morning BOS departure proposed. A 9am departure would be attractive to O&D traffic that doesn’t want to try to cram sleep into any of the short red eyes (such as myself if given the option), and could also get feed from morning arrivals from a bunch of domestic markets (including markets that do not have a nonstop option to London).

The 3x BOS/2x JFK split is also interesting, although not totally surprising. B6 has emphasized BOS over JFK in many ways, and this continues that trend.

Given the cost of these slots, I wonder if it makes more sense for B6 to wait for Brexit to be settled and to see what the final deal looks like. It could have major implications on demand, especially on the premium end, if no deal is reached or if uncertainty remains a longer term trend. B6 may get have the opportunity to scoop up slots at a much lower price (especially if they are sold in GBP).


You're welcome!

Concerning the lack of morning departure - works for VS and BA but not B6. VS or BA could send the arriving plane anywhere but most likely a destination like DEL, BOM, or DXB while B6 would prefer to turn it around. A 9am departure will arrive around 9pm and then you have 2 hours on the ground giving you an 11pm LHR-BOS departure which would arrive around 2am in BOS. It possible they are not allowed or its too expensive to have a plane sit in LHR.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS
 
tphuang
Posts: 3110
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:29 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.


Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression LHR is closed overnight, so the arrival time for the first BOS-LHR flight seems a little early (and painful). I’m also a little surprised there is no morning BOS departure proposed. A 9am departure would be attractive to O&D traffic that doesn’t want to try to cram sleep into any of the short red eyes (such as myself if given the option), and could also get feed from morning arrivals from a bunch of domestic markets (including markets that do not have a nonstop option to London).

The 3x BOS/2x JFK split is also interesting, although not totally surprising. B6 has emphasized BOS over JFK in many ways, and this continues that trend.

Given the cost of these slots, I wonder if it makes more sense for B6 to wait for Brexit to be settled and to see what the final deal looks like. It could have major implications on demand, especially on the premium end, if no deal is reached or if uncertainty remains a longer term trend. B6 may get have the opportunity to scoop up slots at a much lower price (especially if they are sold in GBP).


I had been wondering where they'd get the slots too.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-l ... vice-2019/

According to the above link, they had indicated in a year end video of announcing flights to LHR next year. I'm still curious how they expect to get this many slots. Seems like very optimistic to expect 5 remedy slots even if one is at an off peak hour.
 
twicearound
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 am

tlecam wrote:
LH423 wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
Not sure if this has been covered, but looks like DL will be upgauging BOS-LHR from the 763ER to the A332 next spring (based on a dummy booking I started for April). Will be the first DL A332 in BOS IIRC as BOS-AMS is an A333.


The 332 was scheduled on the second AMS rotation a few summers back and does sub in for the 333 on occasion on the AMS route. That said, when looked at in context of the duration of the life of the A330s at NW and DL, the 332 has been a relatively infrequent visitor. Given their increased range, they've been traditionally used for SEA/PDX intercontinental routes as well as ATL-Europe flights that were too long for the earlier 333 models. Now that they've taken delivery of increased MTOW 333s and the 339s and 359s arrive, they have a bit more flexibility.

I'm guessing this is in response to continued robust J demand? Given DL have struggled to fill the 767 most of the year, they must feel they'll get get a solid ROI out of those additional J seats. At a time when the capacity on the route is about to increase substantially when VS add their morning flight, you'd think they'd want to try to reduce Y capacity as much as possible. Especially when their combined load factor is lagging BA, who are also going to be increasing capacity with the 380 going daily, putting further downward pressure on yields.

LH423



Interesting. I wonder if this will be part of a rotation that includes re-positioning domestically (DTW or SEA?).

BOS-LHR is about as short of a premium international route as there is - barely enough time to sleep more than 4 hours - weird use for a 332 in the absence of some other reason.


DL rarely re-positions domestically except for the one 77L on ATL-LAX. All international flights in BOS come in and go right back out to Europe. Especially in the hub operation cities like CDG/AMS.
Not sure what's weird about the 332 being on the route
 
User avatar
N717TW
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:49 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.


Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was under the impression LHR is closed overnight, so the arrival time for the first BOS-LHR flight seems a little early (and painful). I’m also a little surprised there is no morning BOS departure proposed. A 9am departure would be attractive to O&D traffic that doesn’t want to try to cram sleep into any of the short red eyes (such as myself if given the option), and could also get feed from morning arrivals from a bunch of domestic markets (including markets that do not have a nonstop option to London).

The 3x BOS/2x JFK split is also interesting, although not totally surprising. B6 has emphasized BOS over JFK in many ways, and this continues that trend.

Given the cost of these slots, I wonder if it makes more sense for B6 to wait for Brexit to be settled and to see what the final deal looks like. It could have major implications on demand, especially on the premium end, if no deal is reached or if uncertainty remains a longer term trend. B6 may get have the opportunity to scoop up slots at a much lower price (especially if they are sold in GBP).


Heathrow has a curfew from 11:30 pm to 6am. There are flights allowed in, but it has a hard annual cap that works out to 16 movements per day. I am pretty sure the administrator doesn't issue slots for overnight hours. So generally speaking there won't be a pre-6 am arrival on B6. I guess I understand why they want a 5 am arrival...the early morning arrivals command the highest revenue in J...as people book for early arrivals. That way you can get home, take a nap and still get into the office...or in case of BOS based business travelers, get off the plane, take an arrival shower and show up for a morning meeting.
 
Budgie099
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:16 am

Does anyone have any ideas/has it been hinted at which terminal B6 will fly into at LHR?
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1407
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:00 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
Happy Holidays everyone.

Did some reading of the filings for merging the AF-KL-DL and DL-VS joint ventures. B6 requested full slot information for LHR/LGW/AMS/CDG which the other airlines provided. https://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf103/309.pdf

It has been mentioned that B6 requested LHR slots but this reply outlines what they wanted. Surprisingly they wanted 2 slot pairs for JFK and 3 for Boston. The plan appeared to be a Mint A321 to launch these since 159 seats is mentioned.

Here's my guess at the proposed schedule based on the slot requests. Its probably a bit later (10-20 minutes) since I based arrival time as the landing request time and I used PF's old schedule to get a flight time.

BOS-LHR

17:00-04:50
19:00-06:50
21:45-09:35

LHR-BOS
06:50-10:00
08:50-12:00
11:35-14:45

They would have had the earliest LHR arrival and departure out of all carriers serving LON-BOS.


1) I don't get the obsession with LHR. I would be happy to fly to/from LGW in Mint.
2) How about a day time flight BOS-LHR at 12:00 - 24:00 and then the return LHR-BOS at 4:00 - 7:00 AM? Lets call it the "Clubbing Night Flight" ;) :bouncy:
 
User avatar
chrisnh
Posts: 4135
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 1999 3:59 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Just got in BKK flying EK. First time in J. Service was excellent, limousine pick up a nice touch. Looked I got the new J seat. Plenty of space even though it has a 2-3-2 layout (I had a window seat). The following A380 was very ratty though. Didn't like it much, even with a private seat it felt much more cramped (I'm 6'2").
Neither plane was completely full. In fact, the lounge was rather quiet as well. So, I don't see the 2nd daily EK flight coming.


I wouldn’t judge a second EK flight coming (back) to BOS based on this one experience of how full your flight was. Heck, you’re saying your DXB-BKK flight wasn’t full yet EK has 5-6 daily flights in that market. If EK used your logic and went by how full the flight was they wouldn’t have that many to BKK.


It may be that one 77W is all BOS-DXB can handle. The people are upstairs but the freight downstairs might be what 'makes' this flight. But we do have to recall STC's multiple comments about returning those 'second daily flights' to cities that lost them. He's the guy, and if not for him no one would bring the subject up. I keep hearing that the real issue is lack of crews (A380 or otherwise) to fly the routes STC says he'd like to reinstate. Like a lot of things, the 'truth' a probably a mix of a whole bunch of things rather than just one.
 
S0Y
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Not sure what advantage would B6 get by flying to LHR specifically (other than prestige).
Surely they would mostly be looking at travelers visiting London area rather than connecting on elsewhere. It seems to me that the extra costs for LHR slots would not be worth the presumably marginal extra connecting business gained by flying to LHR.
Am I missing something?
 
User avatar
VS4ever
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:03 am

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:33 pm

S0Y wrote:
Not sure what advantage would B6 get by flying to LHR specifically (other than prestige).
Surely they would mostly be looking at travelers visiting London area rather than connecting on elsewhere. It seems to me that the extra costs for LHR slots would not be worth the presumably marginal extra connecting business gained by flying to LHR.
Am I missing something?


It all comes down to the type of flyers B6 wants in this market. The two (LHR and LGW) are rather different in their make up. You are right that LHR is about prestige, but also has a massive price tag attached to it, B6 wants to connect their business flyers to London and the place they would want to go and pay for Mint is indeed LHR. I would be interested to see if they went 3x daily, that's heavy, while their 321's will have a lot less seats than your average BA/DL or VS aircraft plying the same route, I would be surprised if they go that far, but hey, i'm not in strategy for B6, so what do i know.
LGW on the other hand is also somewhat maxed out in terms of space and the the clientele is a little more vacation based, that's not to say there aren't "up front" folks flying from there, there are, but it's a more limited market. On top of that. LGW is South of London, which is a PITA for many from North of London to get to. LHR being West has a bigger catchment area to draw from, even drawing away from folks that could go to STN for example.

Overall, logic says go to LHR, cost says go to LGW, but I am betting they will go with the former, as it's the business flyers that will ultimately drive the requirement, hence why they went to LGA and ATL amongst others domestically.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:03 pm

S0Y wrote:
Not sure what advantage would B6 get by flying to LHR specifically (other than prestige).
Surely they would mostly be looking at travelers visiting London area rather than connecting on elsewhere. It seems to me that the extra costs for LHR slots would not be worth the presumably marginal extra connecting business gained by flying to LHR.
Am I missing something?

LHR slots cost what they cost because that's where the money is. It's as simple as that.
If an airline has corporate contracts and it's one of 2 main Boston based airlines, and it starts flying to London there's only one London airport it should serve: LHR.
B6 cannot fly to LGW with a Mint A321 and still expect to make money on it, and they know it. Those Mint seats would go out empty or heavily discounted, and the CASM with so few seats would be horrible and the airline would lose money hand over fist. Heck, just look at DY's financials. They chose LGW over LHR.
VS4ever wrote:
I would be interested to see if they went 3x daily, that's heavy, while their 321's will have a lot less seats than your average BA/DL or VS aircraft plying the same route, I would be surprised if they go that far, but hey, i'm not in strategy for B6, so what do i know.

They need at the very least 2x daily. Their corporate clients demand that, IMO.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Boston aviation - 2018

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 am

Please continue in next year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411815

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos