Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyPIT

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2018

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:12 am

Volaris was doing CUN charters for one of the vacation package operators a couple years ago. They probably wanted to sell any extra seats on their own so applied for scheduled authority in order to do so. Just like F9 used to do.
FLYi

JamesRenard

Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 am

Air China flight CA817 (PEK-IAD, B77W) was diverted to PIT earlier today.
Looking at the playback, several other flights bound for the DC area were also diverted to PIT this afternoon, as well as a few from BWI, EWR and JFK.

KPITK

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:45 am

Cush wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

I would argue WFS isn't doing fantastic either. It takes so long to get my bags after coming back from BOS on B6. Plus they have been lost a few times and never made in on the plane in Pittsburgh. Baffles me how it can be so bad. I do understand that they have to be physically driven from airside to landslide as they don't have access to the automatic system....but still. Its embarrassing. Just my experience though. Maybe I have bad luck.

I agree... I've noticed in the past 1-2 years that the legacy carriers (UA/AA/DL) are pretty fast with the bags reaching the belt. On the other hand, Allegiant and Spirit take forever. I don't understand why it takes so long... As a former ramp rat many years ago, I can assure you it's not a time demanding job...

Ramp crew functions on arrival:
- Marshall aircraft into gate
- Park and chalk it
- Gate agent moves the jetway to the aircraft
- Rampers move the belt loader and baggage cart to the baggage door
- GPU connected to aircraft
- Refueling by 3rd party company begins
- Bags are removed from aircraft and placed on bag cart
- New bags are onloaded to the aircraft
- Gate check bags are loaded onto the aircraft
- GPU removed
- Gate agent moves jetway
- Aircraft is marshaled away from the gate

Now, I worked mostly CR7/E135/145 aircraft, and i understand that the Airbus A319, MD80, A320, are larger, but how hard is it to remove the bags?

As soon as we finished unloading the bags, the cart was gone and on it's way to offload the bags. Trust me. This was a favorite job, as it meant whoever took the bags didn't have to do anything else for that flight. Take a nice casual drive over to the bag room, slowly drop the bags onto the belt, where their owners would claim it a few moments later.

The only reason I can think of for the delays with bags is short staffed.... They probably need to wait until all the other bags are onloaded for the next flight before taking the old ones to the bag room. That's my only thought as they probably can't be down a man for that long.

From what I've noticed a lot of the problems aren't nesecarily the WFS or Trego Rangers faults. As you mentioned they are mostly junior crews and this is there first jobs at the airlines. Both companies set the tampers up for failure by not training anyone and expecting them to figure it out and by management understaffing them and expecting them to work multiple flights with only 4 or 5 people.

I would add atleast Trego is trying to grow as a company (who knows if this is good or bad) since they added the Alaskan and China Eastern contracts. WFS and their poor management are still stuck with only 2 contracts while Trego taking all the new airport ramp contracts.

WFS cargo is also a mess losing several cargo contracts southwest and I believe American? Delta and united may also be soon leaving WFS for someone else.

ConcourseZ

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:09 am

JamesRenard wrote:
Looking at the playback, several other flights bound for the DC area were also diverted to PIT this afternoon, as well as a few from BWI, EWR and JFK.

I saw that plane sitting at PIT. T-storms along the coast, I imagine.

steeler83

Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:40 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
JamesRenard wrote:

I saw that plane sitting at PIT. T-storms along the coast, I imagine.

Big time. There was a funnel cloud near New York. We here in the greater Philly area had very heavy rain and thunder.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ConcourseZ

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

28L/10R appears to have re-opened to landing traffic.

ConcourseZ

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:05 am

Took a look at the J1 website to see what's going on. It appears PIT only has IND and BDL flights. Most of their other destinations have been suspended. The only other remaining airports in their whole system are ALB and BUF. They must have reverted to mostly charter ops. About that loan.....

flyPIT

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:10 am

Another interesting flight, this B763 that originated in Romania and flew in via Frankfurt Hahn last night.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CMB300/history/20180717/1851Z/EDFH/KPIT

I believe this might have been Omni Air.
FLYi

Runway28L

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:34 am

flyPIT wrote:
Another interesting flight, this B763 that originated in Romania and flew in via Frankfurt Hahn last night.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CMB300/history/20180717/1851Z/EDFH/KPIT

I believe this might have been Omni Air.

Omni is know to do military charters, so I imagine this was one of those.

Borussia Dortmund will be playing an exhibition game at Heinz Field next Wednseday. They came into ORD from DUS on an Air X A343 and will arrive in Pittsburgh possibly on Sunday or Monday. Not sure if they will still be on the A340 or some other aircraft type.

masseybrown

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:54 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Took a look at the J1 website to see what's going on. It appears PIT only has IND and BDL flights. Most of their other destinations have been suspended. The only other remaining airports in their whole system are ALB and BUF. They must have reverted to mostly charter ops. About that loan.....

They must have money to burn. Why else would the headquarters be in NYC?

flyPIT

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:23 pm

On the topic of OneJet, Ultimate has been doing enough charters from PIT to Naples, the Hamptons, and Martha's Vinyard over the past couple weeks to almost offer a scheduled service.

Looks like F9 is offering PIT-DEN year round now, 5x weekly in Sept then 3x weekly through mid November before settling on 2x weekly for the winter. No changes to SAN or MCO so it looks like they will continue to be year round as well (previously known).
FLYi

AaronPGH

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Looks like Gensler and HDR for the airport with Luis Vidal on lead design. Reaaaaaally happy about the Luis Vidal part. MAD is a stunning airport.

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroom/n ... l-and-engi

ConcourseZ

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Just reported that Southern is dropping PIT - MDT.

Runway28L

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Here is the article mentioning PIT-MDT being dropped:
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/138 ... harrisburg

This I find to be the most interesting tidbit:

Several other regional carriers that do not already operate at the airport have expressed interest in picking up the service, Cassotis said.

“We know it’s a good market. We know there are a lot of what I would consider to be business and government travelers who want to go back and forth, (and they) don’t appreciate a three and a half hour drive in both directions and would like good, reliable service at a decent pricepoint,” Cassotis said. “So if we find somebody to make that possible, we’re gonna go after them.”

I really wonder who these regional carriers could be that are supposedly interested in jumping on the route... as well as the performance of the route during it's operation. Also, Cassotis mentioned that there are a lot of people that hate the drive on I-76, but how many of those people really used the air service that was provided?

Noticed that Swift is using a B763 again on PUJ-PIT tonight.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/WQ914

knope2001

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Runway28L wrote:
I really wonder who these regional carriers could be that are supposedly interested in jumping on the route... as well as the performance of the route during it's operation. Also, Cassotis mentioned that there are a lot of people that hate the drive on I-76, but how many of those people really used the air service that was provided?

First four months of 2018 averaged 1.9 passenger per flight, or 20.9% full.

ncflyer

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 am

Is the financing in place for the project? I haven’t been able to figure that out. Have there been any concerns that steel tariffs will drive construction costs way up?

AaronPGH wrote:
Looks like Gensler and HDR for the airport with Luis Vidal on lead design. Reaaaaaally happy about the Luis Vidal part. MAD is a stunning airport.

ConcourseZ

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:13 am

ncflyer wrote:
Is the financing in place for the project? I haven’t been able to figure that out. Have there been any concerns that steel tariffs will drive construction costs way up?

AaronPGH wrote:

Speaking of financing, DEN is spending $750-million to remodel its terminal and add 39 gates. Apparently, the existing 23-year-old structure is too crowded.

flyPIT

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:49 am

PIT's Facebook page stated the other day that Apple Vacation's PIT-CUN will go "year round" (it already was lol, other than a 3 week hiatus around Christmas/New Year; same for PUJ), but also stated it will gain another weekly frequency starting in Feb.
FLYi

JamesRenard

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Does anyone know how the Regional Sky flights to AVP are doing?

Cush

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PIT's Facebook page stated the other day that Apple Vacation's PIT-CUN will go "year round" (it already was lol, other than a 3 week hiatus around Christmas/New Year; same for PUJ), but also stated it will gain another weekly frequency starting in Feb.

Are you sure Apple wasn't nonstop from PIT-CUN year round? My wife and i flew Apple/Allegiant last year around Christmas to CUN.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

Runway28L

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Those Apple flights from CUN and PUJ are completely full every time they operate so I’m not surprised at all that they are going year-round... if they somehow weren’t already. As well as the extra frequency.

Flaps

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Those Apple flights from CUN and PUJ are completely full every time they operate so I’m not surprised at all that they are going year-round... if they somehow weren’t already. As well as the extra frequency.

They went year round last year. This year will be the second year. Nothing new.

flyPIT

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:03 am

Cush wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Are you sure Apple wasn't nonstop from PIT-CUN year round? My wife and i flew Apple/Allegiant last year around Christmas to CUN.

Yes, it’s been nonstop year round, other than a couple weeks over the holidays. Still qualifies as year round IMHO. That’s why I got a chuckle that the ACAA are just now announcing it as year round; they don’t even know what service they had in this case. They also have CUN and PUJ as seasonal on the airport’s route map.

I wonder how Cozumel is doing and if it will be expanded next year.
FLYi

ctrabs0114

Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:18 am

flyPIT wrote:
Cush wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Yes, it’s been nonstop year round, other than a couple weeks over the holidays. Still qualifies as year round IMHO. That’s why I got a chuckle that the ACAA are just now announcing it as year round; they don’t even know what service they had in this case. They also have CUN and PUJ as seasonal on the airport’s route map.

I wonder how Cozumel is doing and if it will be expanded next year.

Is this the Apple Vacations CUN-PIT flight? I don't think I've ever heard of Viva Aerobus (VB):

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIV ... /MMUN/KPIT

Also worth noting that DL526 CUN-PIT was an A320 the past two Saturdays after using a 738 the previous two Saturdays under that flight number:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /MMUN/KPIT

AA796 has been consistently using a 319 for their r/t PIT-CUN-PIT run:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL ... /MMUN/KPIT

Also didn't realize that G4 was 2x/weekly CUN-PIT:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY ... /MMUN/KPIT
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Runway28L wrote:

There must be an incredible demand for PIT-CUN service, considering AA, DL and WN also run the route...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)

ctrabs0114

[Apparently, I fell victim to the "duplicate post syndrome"]

flyPIT

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 am

This 757 just arrived from Basel:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/sx-rfa

ncflyer wrote:
Have there been any concerns that steel tariffs will drive construction costs way up?

"Overall, the authority is expecting the estimated $1.1 billion cost of the modernization to go up, although CEO Christina Cassotis couldn’t say Friday by how much.

“There’s a lot of cost pressure on construction projects across the country, so we would expect to see an increase,” she said. “But it would be one that if we saw it, the airlines are going to have to sign off, right. Just remember that. We’re not doing anything without the full consent of the airlines.”

Ms. Cassotis said the authority is reviewing cost estimates for the project. She said she doesn’t know yet how much they will increase above the $1.1 billion, an estimate developed “with almost zero percent design.” She noted there was a 25 percent contingency built into the $1.1 billion figure.

“I expect that the airlines will continue to see cost benefits to the new terminal. I expect to see that the airlines will continue to realize operating [and maintenance] cost savings as a result of this building,” she said.
"
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2018/07/20/Architectural-firm-PNC-hq-tapped-to-lead-airport-terminal-project-Gensler-HDR/stories/201807200111

I'm just glad they are using world class design firms. They should have done it in 1952 and 1992.

ctrabs0114 wrote:
There must be an incredible demand for PIT-CUN service, considering AA, DL and WN also run the route...

.... and Vacation Express.

ctrabs0114 wrote:

Is this the Apple Vacations CUN-PIT flight? I don't think I've ever heard of Viva Aerobus (VB):

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIV ... /MMUN/KPIT

Also didn't realize that G4 was 2x/weekly CUN-PIT:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAY ... /MMUN/KPIT

Viva Aerobus operates for Vacation Express. The G4 you noted is Apple Vacations.
FLYi

ConcourseZ

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:00 pm

The 757 from Basel.......interesting Greek jet charter company.
http://www.gainjet.com/vip-boeing-b757-200/

ncflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

On what planet do the airlines have to go along with a cost increase for the the terminal project?

It all seems very, very tenuous to me. I think a better quote would have been something along the lines of “now that we have a design firm in place we will work with them to take a much harder look in keeping costs within the previously announced budget.”

Runway28L

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 pm

In addition to the B757, there was also a Slovakian A319CJ that departed yesterday afternoon.

flyPIT

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:19 pm

ncflyer wrote:
On what planet do the airlines have to go along with a cost increase for the the terminal project?

I think you took what she said out of context. Here's the quote:
But it would be one that if we saw it, the airlines are going to have to sign off, right. Just remember that. We’re not doing anything without the full consent of the airlines.
FLYi

ncflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Yeah ok flyPIT. I can see it being interpreted as you highlight. I took her quote as “of course the airlines will go along with it, they have no choice.”

I think she’s trying to say the airlines are a check and balance on the cost of the project. It’s gotta be so much harder for an airport like pit to get this buy in than an airport like Bna with a dominant airline that can muscle it through.

Runway28L

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 pm

UA appears to be bringing back 2x daily PIT-SFO on 12/19/18 rather than next summer.

Another good sign. :thumbsup:

Runway28L

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:10 pm

flyPIT wrote:

ConcourseZ wrote:
The 757 from Basel.......interesting Greek jet charter company.
http://www.gainjet.com/vip-boeing-b757-200/

That B752 had SL Benfica on board. They are playing against Borussia Dortmund at Heinz Field on Wednesday.

AaronPGH

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 am

Runway28L wrote:
UA appears to be bringing back 2x daily PIT-SFO on 12/19/18 rather than next summer.

Another good sign. :thumbsup:

Every time I took those newly scheduled flights, they were packed. Like, asking people to gate check luggage to get ahead of things packed. Great news.

FA9295

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:27 am

airlineroute.net has made a post about the PVG-PIT charter flights: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -aug-2018/

flyPIT

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 pm

"OneJet could lose incentive money over Pittsburgh route delays"
https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13893264-74/onejet-flights-from-pittsburgh-to-memphis-delayed-until-october-7-months-late

That article doesn't scratch the surface regarding OneJet's problems. Never mind that MEM never launched; it wasn't even acknowledged in the article that the entire OneJet network from PIT has been eliminated with the exception of BDL and IND.

There are a couple pics of the Air China B-773 on PIT's FB page:
FLYi

nmdrdh787

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Here is the article mentioning PIT-MDT being dropped:
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/138 ... harrisburg

This I find to be the most interesting tidbit:

Several other regional carriers that do not already operate at the airport have expressed interest in picking up the service, Cassotis said.

“We know it’s a good market. We know there are a lot of what I would consider to be business and government travelers who want to go back and forth, (and they) don’t appreciate a three and a half hour drive in both directions and would like good, reliable service at a decent pricepoint,” Cassotis said. “So if we find somebody to make that possible, we’re gonna go after them.”

Noticed that Swift is using a B763 again on PUJ-PIT tonight.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/WQ914

Offer an incentive and CapeAir would be all over it.

ncflyer wrote:
Yeah ok flyPIT. I can see it being interpreted as you highlight. I took her quote as “of course the airlines will go along with it, they have no choice.”

I think she’s trying to say the airlines are a check and balance on the cost of the project. It’s gotta be so much harder for an airport like pit to get this buy in than an airport like Bna with a dominant airline that can muscle it through.

If I were the airlines, I would raise hell at the way the draft master plan and planning has been done. So many red flags.

ncflyer

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:47 pm

It never works when I try two subjects in the same post but I'll try anyway!!

On the UA SFO twice daily, I'm pretty sure that's just during the holiday period??? I tried booking it in January it's only once per day then. Whereas CLE, where UA has publicly announced double daily to SFO and LAX, it is bookable 2 times daily in January and beyond.

On the PIT airport expansion, I have mixed feelings about this, I do second nmdrdh787s's post that it seems very heavy handed and I don't think a great case has been made why a very decent airport needs a billion dollar re-do. (Saving a few crumbs operating the train doesn't cut it for me). From what I can tell the PIT press has been very gentle on the costs and financing of the project--- that article with her quote on potential cost increases was not critical at all.

On the other hand, I applaud Cassotis' risk taking and leadership (I don't live in PIT but I assume she gets the credit. . . ). Her style seems to be I'm going to keep showing forward progress, obstacles be damned. Personally I don't think PIT was at all ready to select a designer, yet it didn't stop her.

Not having someone like her in CLE, my hometown, seems to be why CLE has a 50 year old terminal desperately in need of an overhaul-- and always will.

ConcourseZ

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm

Since the ACAA has met with the airlines for some time regarding the project, I don't understand the 'heavy-handed' comment. DEN is spending nearly as much for a refurbishing and adding some gates. BNA is spending $1.2 billion to redo their airport (BTW, they have four runways).

Midwestindy

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Since the ACAA has met with the airlines for some time regarding the project, I don't understand the 'heavy-handed' comment. DEN is spending nearly as much for a refurbishing and adding some gates. BNA is spending $1.2 billion to redo their airport (BTW, they have four runways).

The two are not correlated, DEN and BNA are in need of updates and expansions PIT is not.
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

ConcourseZ

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
ConcourseZ wrote:

The two are not correlated, DEN and BNA are in need of updates and expansions PIT is not.

PIT, DEN, and probably BNA are all facing the same issues. Air travel has changed dramatically since the terminals were built. Just like sports venues have been torn down and replaced with new ones to reflect the needs of the market, airport terminals get replacements faster than the predecessors. PIT will get better efficiency and lower operating costs over the long term plus a better customer experience.

ncflyer

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:23 pm

The distinction I would make is that BNA and DEN have hub airline(s) that can muscle it through, PIT no longer has a dominant airline that captures disproportionate benefit of a heavy renovation. Yes I’m calling WN a hub— at both places. More reason that if it happens PIT leadership deserves tremendous credit.

By the way spending a billion at those airports, with much more traffic, is not comparable to spending the same at PIT. What may be most proportionate and comparable is the $8B ORD redo.

ADrum23

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 am

ConcourseZ wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
ConcourseZ wrote:

PIT, DEN, and probably BNA are all facing the same issues. Air travel has changed dramatically since the terminals were built. Just like sports venues have been torn down and replaced with new ones to reflect the needs of the market, airport terminals get replacements faster than the predecessors. PIT will get better efficiency and lower operating costs over the long term plus a better customer experience.

Just curious, why is DEN being lumped in with PIT and BNA? DEN is a large hub airport with over 60 million pax that has a very efficient and modern design (though the terminal/concourse interior could use refurbishing). PIT and BNA on the other hand, are mid-sized O&D based airports that were designed for a different time and now need new terminals that reflect their status as O&D airports

flyPIT

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 am

Midwestindy wrote:

PIT's int'l arrival process needs to be completely realigned, the security checkpoint needs to be 3x larger, the landside terminal in general is not optimally laid out, baggage claim is a dump, and the parking garage is too small and structurally deficient.
FLYi

ncflyer

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 am

I thought with its sizable WN operation bna had close to 20mm passengers but I was way off, it’s only 14mm. 40% bigger than PIT (I’m roundino obviously) but still same order of magnitude, unlike DEN which is a colossus. Have to admit I’m surprised given that Nashville is growing unbelievably and has a big tourist/convention business. So, my bad comparison PIT to BNA is not bad.

DeltaL1011Flyer

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroom/news-releases

Hmmm..."major" new carrier and international destination announcement today...
Last edited by DeltaL1011Flyer on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

burghpyro

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 am

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroom/news-releases/media-advisory-pittsburgh-international-airpor-(3)

Hmmm..."major" new carrier and international destination announcement today...

Link is broken.
- Luke -

Former employee of Southwest Airlines (PIT, CMH, MCO) & ACAA.

DeltaL1011Flyer

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:37 am

Lemieux

Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:39 am

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroom/news-releases

Sorry about that

Anyone wanna put $10 down it’s Dublin?
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.