JamesRenard

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread - 2018

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:54 am

November's passenger traffic numbers were released. http://www.flypittsburgh.com/newsroom/n ... cent-at-(1)

2018's year-to-date figure is 8,887,108, which is up 7.80% from 2017's year-to-date figure of 8,243,941.
Nov 2018 had 821,583 passengers pass through PIT, 5.64% higher than Nov 2017 (777,744)

Gsasala

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:57 am

Anyone know why Delta downgraded us to the 717 and md88 on the flights to ATL?

Runway28L

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:11 am

”Pittsburgh International Airport On Track For Highest Passenger Traffic Since 2007”

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/12 ... -holidays/

Gsasala wrote:

UA also pulled all mainline off ORD, EWR, and IAH; they even downgraded the EWR A319 to an E145. AA took most mainline off ORD and downgraded DFW to A319s/MD80s. Just seems odd that capacity is being reduced for the biggest travel week of the year.

AaronPGH

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:08 am

Runway28L wrote:
”Pittsburgh International Airport On Track For Highest Passenger Traffic Since 2007”

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/12 ... -holidays/

Gsasala wrote:

UA also pulled all mainline off ORD, EWR, and IAH; they even downgraded the EWR A319 to an E145. AA took most mainline off ORD and downgraded DFW to A319s/MD80s. Just seems odd that capacity is being reduced for the biggest travel week of the year.

Allocating space somewhere more profitable and running fares up here?

flyPIT

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 am

Pitt Football using an Atlas 763 for their bowl game in ELP:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI8216/history/20181226/1400Z/KPIT/KELP
FLYi

Runway28L

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:07 pm

With 2018 coming to a close, I thought it would be fun to run through my predictions from the start of this year.

Runway28L wrote:
I'll add...
1. Norwegian or Aer Lingus announce plans to enter the Pittsburgh market.

Well EI came very close to adding PIT and we landed BA instead of DY. Honestly, that is a much better outcome, considering all the drama surrounding Norwegian currently.

Runway28L wrote:
2. WN starts PIT-SAN

Well, we got F9 instead. At 2x weekly. And it only lasted a little over 4 months. :grumpy:

Runway28L wrote:
3. DL announces RDU and brings back CVG

Obviously none of which ever happened. Although the former will still be a prediction of mine for 2019.

Runway28L wrote:
4. OneJet continues expansion

“WTF was I thinking then?” would be how I’d summarize this.

Runway28L wrote:
And my ultimate wild cards
5. Frontier exits MCO (and DEN) prompting JetBlue to start PIT-MCO as well as (hopefully) adding a 2nd daily PIT-FLL.

1. F9 did drop MCO (and SAN), but DEN remains status quo and they added winter-only PBI. It’s starting to seem apparent that DEN is the only stable F9 route from PIT.
2. Not only did B6 not start MCO, but they completely dropped FLL. Seems like B6 is going to only operate to BOS for the foreseeable future. I really think JetBlue has missed the boat on PIT big-time. They had a huge opportunity in 2005-2006 after the hub closure to potentially add a lot of places that US scaled back or dropped such as MCO/TPA/DCA/FLL/SJU and grow a customer base (similar to what WN and FL did). Instead, they squandered on JFK and really only grew on BOS once the AA/US merger occurred, while letting WN become the far-and-away top LCC and overall market leader at PIT.

Runway28L wrote:
6. UA brings back PIT-LAX (doubt it'll be AA since they've been cutting back at LAX domestically and DL is tied up with projects at T2 and T3. UA is also rumored to want to re-solidify LAX).

None of which came to fruition.

Runway28L wrote:
If Pittsburgh does win HQ2, then I believe DL jumps on SEA and UA makes SFO year-round along with WN looking into more new routes.

HQ2 turned out to be a massive dud and WN didn’t really do much outside of adding seasonal CUN. Instead of SEA, DL added SLC. Did nail UA making SFO year-round though, plus seasonal 2x daily. ;)

ConcourseZ

Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Runway28L, what's your prediction for WOW?

jplatts

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Instead of SEA, DL added SLC.

I can understand DL adding PIT-SLC first since DL is the only carrier that has a hub at SLC and since none of DL's competitors were likely to ever add PIT-SLC nonstop service. On the other hand, while DL has a hub at SEA, SEA is AS's main hub. AS also has significantly more market share at SEA than any other airline, and AS's SEA hub is the largest non-US3 hub in the US. CVG and JAC are also the only U.S. destinations with nonstop service out of SEA on DL that aren't served by AS, whereas AS has nonstop service from SEA to destinations in the Northwestern U.S. that aren't served nonstop from SEA on any of the big 4 US airlines.

In addition to DL being the only DL hub carrier at SLC, there are some smaller regional destinations west of SLC in the Western U.S. that are served by DL but not by AA or UA. Some of these smaller regional destinations in the Western U.S. also have nonstop service to SLC but not to SEA, LAX, MSP, or DTW on DL. DL is able to more easily connect passengers to more of the smaller regional destinations in the Western U.S. by adding PIT-SLC nonstop service.

AaronPGH

Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:50 pm

I really don't see how WOW comes back unless they get a big cash infusion and more planes. Didn't they just sell off their A320s? What do they have left in their fleet where PIT could still be served without compromising their better routes?

ConcourseZ

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:51 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
I really don't see how WOW comes back unless they get a big cash infusion and more planes. Didn't they just sell off their A320s? What do they have left in their fleet where PIT could still be served without compromising their better routes?

Unless things have changed, they returned two A320s and two A330s. The rest of the fleet is intact. for now.

pitbosflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:07 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

Unless things have changed, they returned two A320s and two A330s. The rest of the fleet is intact. for now.

Now that they also dropped Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York JFK and Dallas/Forth Worth....I think a lot has to go right for them before the pink tails are back at PIT.

Runway28L

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:51 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
Runway28L, what's your prediction for WOW?

I think their days here are numbered. They simply don’t have enough slack in their fleet anymore to resume PIT after selling off two A333s, two A320s, and more recently four A321s, along with NTU’ing the A339s.

So really, I don’t see WW returning. I was even skeptical of such when they first announced the route’s suspension.

Oddly enough, WW never crossed my mind. So I didn’t plan on making a prediction regarding them.

ncflyer

Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:02 pm

Funny I too took it as a given that WOW was gone from PIT---- but the articles I have read and the press releases from WOW don't seem to address the issue of PIT head on, unlike all those other cities. I wonder why that is. . . .

Cush

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Funny I too took it as a given that WOW was gone from PIT---- but the articles I have read and the press releases from WOW don't seem to address the issue of PIT head on, unlike all those other cities. I wonder why that is. . . .

Call me crazy, but Wow might be able to make PIT work profitably with the A-320... Without service to CLE and DTW, we (PIT) capture that audience again, and we might be a good catchment point for them. I am sure NYC and some other places are too overcrowded with competition (i.e. DL, AA, Icelandair, etc)... But.... PIT could be a strategy that works, albeit on a smaller scale.
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

flyPIT

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:37 pm

"Where You Should Be Flying in 2019: 11 of the Most Exciting New Routes"
https://www.travelagentcentral.com/transportation/where-you-should-be-flying-2019-11-most-exciting-new-routes

Cush wrote:
Call me crazy, but Wow might be able to make PIT work profitably with the A-320... Without service to CLE and DTW, we (PIT) capture that audience again, and we might be a good catchment point for them.

I don't see why not (assuming WOW remains solvent). Summertime load factors were about 90% using A321s and half the flight was O&D to Iceland.
FLYi

JamesRenard

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:06 am

flyPIT wrote:
Cush wrote:
Call me crazy, but Wow might be able to make PIT work profitably with the A-320... Without service to CLE and DTW, we (PIT) capture that audience again, and we might be a good catchment point for them.

I don't see why not (assuming WOW remains solvent). Summertime load factors were about 90% using A321s and half the flight was O&D to Iceland.

If WOW does remain at PIT, I reckon it'll change to be summer-only seasonal.

AaronPGH

Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:14 am

What planes would they use?

flyPIT

Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:53 pm

"Pittsburgh’s BRT Plan Could Mean Faster Transit To The Airport "
"Huffaker put together a 20-year plan for the Port Authority that lays out aspirational investments and how to make them happen over time. In the long run, the Port Authority hopes to run a train to the airport or a bus line entirely separated from traffic.

In the near term, improved service on the 28X is expected to be one of the benefits of Pittsburgh’s proposed bus rapid transit plan."

https://www.wesa.fm/post/pittsburgh-s-brt-plan-could-mean-faster-transit-airport#stream/0
FLYi

michman

Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:19 pm

Cush wrote:
ncflyer wrote:

Call me crazy, but Wow might be able to make PIT work profitably with the A-320... Without service to CLE and DTW, we (PIT) capture that audience again, and we might be a good catchment point for them. I am sure NYC and some other places are too overcrowded with competition (i.e. DL, AA, Icelandair, etc)... But.... PIT could be a strategy that works, albeit on a smaller scale.

WOW is still flying to DTW.

ConcourseZ

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 pm

With WW status still uncertain for PIT, FI is flying year-hound from CLE.

Runway28L

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm

PIT in January 2019 YoY is expecting to see a 4.6% decrease in flights but a 2.1% increase in seats due to airlines upgrading to larger aircraft.

I find this strange. I took a look at the Jan 19 schedules and they don't look a whole lot different to Jan 18 outside of the new destinations and some more mainline by UA. I wonder where else this could be coming from? There are actually a few capacity downgrades compared to last year on AA, F9, and B6.

Also, it looks like Vacation Express will be offering nonstops to PUJ between mid January and late April.

GSP psgr

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:36 pm

So, for 2019, my big question is: Does either Delta, United, or American take (another) stab at PIT-LAX?

Others to ponder:
1) Does Delta finally take over PIT-RDU?
2) Does Southwest add another new city from PIT and what is it?
3) What impact does Amazon HQ2 being off the table have for PIT?

flyPIT

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
So, for 2019, my big question is: Does either Delta, United, or American take (another) stab at PIT-LAX?

Others to ponder:
1) Does Delta finally take over PIT-RDU?
2) Does Southwest add another new city from PIT and what is it?
3) What impact does Amazon HQ2 being off the table have for PIT?

I think DL is a good bet to LAX, as well as RDU.

As to your third point, I'm not sure why there would be an impact from being off the table when it was never on the table? Other than being a top 20 finalist of course but that by itself had no impact other than selling a few seats from SEA.

Of more significance is the incremental growth of tech companies in Pittsburgh such as Facebook announcing about 500 new jobs a few months ago, and Apple announcing a couple hundred new jobs a couple weeks ago. To tie that in to your second point perhaps WN will recognize the increased demand to the Bay Area like United has and finally add a flight to OAK.

Other predictions I see for 2019 is BA increasing to at least 5x weekly, and if WW does pull the plug on PIT I can see EI announcing DUB to start in 2020. Perhaps AC doing YUL 2x daily in the summer months. Not much else I see for the domestic side. Both DL and WN can do a lot or nothing at all. BDL/PHL/OAK/MCI/SAN for WN, as well as increased frequency to STL and MSY could all be possible. LAX/RDU/SEA/CVG could all be possible for DL. Or we could see nothing new from either.
FLYi

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:57 pm

Please continue the discussion in PIT Update Discussion Thread 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411795
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos