User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Quick question for some as this just popped into my mind.

In one of the old PIT threads (it may have been Part 26 or 27 I really don't exactly remember and this was way before I joined this site) I remember reading posts where someone posted links to pictures of JetBlue and US Airways aircraft parked everywhere across the entire airport due to some hurricane on the East Coast from what I believe was 2011. Does anyone know where I could find those images today?? I've tried searching for the old thread but it may have been deleted from the site's big update 2 years ago and both Google and Flickr haven't given me any results.

Edit: never mind, I found a whole bunch of them on Flickr. Some interesting photos in there.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Quick question for some as this just popped into my mind.

In one of the old PIT threads (it may have been Part 26 or 27 I really don't exactly remember and this was way before I joined this site) I remember reading posts where someone posted links to pictures of JetBlue and US Airways aircraft parked everywhere across the entire airport due to some hurricane on the East Coast from what I believe was 2011. Does anyone know where I could find those images today??

I took the ones that were linked to a previous PIT thread. Here they are:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
FLYi
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 am

flyPIT wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Quick question for some as this just popped into my mind.

In one of the old PIT threads (it may have been Part 26 or 27 I really don't exactly remember and this was way before I joined this site) I remember reading posts where someone posted links to pictures of JetBlue and US Airways aircraft parked everywhere across the entire airport due to some hurricane on the East Coast from what I believe was 2011. Does anyone know where I could find those images today??

I took the ones that were linked to a previous PIT thread. Here they are:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Ah wonderful. Thank you for digging these back up :D
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
DeltaL1011Flyer
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:52 pm

DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:50 pm

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.
Flights will be flown with an A319.


flyPIT wrote:
I'm a bit surprised to see SLC mentioned. Its a small local market and the hub there would cannibalize the other long sought after west coast markets such as SAN and improved access to LAX and the Bay Area. I suppose after (and only after) those other holes are filled SLC makes sense on the wish list.
So much for that theory. Great to see another western destination tho.


SLC may mark an exact doubling of destinations from PIT since Ms. Cassotis came on board, but I'm not 100% sure since we just lost JHW.
Last edited by flyPIT on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FLYi
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.

DL1734 319 SLC 1600 PIT 2255
DL1624 319 PIT 0800 SLC 1015

Daily service starting July 8th/9th, not sure if it's seasonal or not.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
Robert1010
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 pm

Wonder if PIT paid for this route also?
 
phluser
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 pm

PIT-SLC along with the increase of PIT-BOS is good news for DL FFs in PIT. It might hold for PIT-SLC to prove itself before PIT-SEA or PIT-LAX, but I've been wondering if DL has plans to challenge AA on some short haul east coast routes: PIT-PHL/DCA/RDU (with 2-3 departures each) and maybe PIT-MCO 1x daily. The same strategy worked for DL at RDU, against AA.

It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.
 
DeltaRules
Posts: 4580
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2001 11:57 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:28 am

Robert1010 wrote:
Wonder if PIT paid for this route also?


I think the only question is "how much?".

ctrabs0114 wrote:
ConcourseZ wrote:
Interesting. Started the morning from DTW - CMH, then CMH - PIT. No outbound flight scheduled, so far. That tail started off Monday PEK - DTW.


Odd how DL sent the A359 to KCMH, especially when I don't think there's any DL destination from Columbus which would warrant an A359 (unless there's something happening at KCMH that we don't know about). Also, keep in mind that the A359 is supposed to replace the B763 fleet in the coming years and that DL is upgauging the KPIT-LFPG flight from a B752 to a B763 this year, it wouldn't shock me if that was in preparation for the service to LFPG/CGD service in a matter of years.


They run these to DAY as well along with CMH and have run them to both for months. It's pilot training to airports that can handle it, as FlyPIT said.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST
 
iyerhari
Posts: 802
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:46 am

phluser wrote:
PIT-SLC along with the increase of PIT-BOS is good news for DL FFs in PIT. It might hold for PIT-SLC to prove itself before PIT-SEA or PIT-LAX, but I've been wondering if DL has plans to challenge AA on some short haul east coast routes: PIT-PHL/DCA/RDU (with 2-3 departures each) and maybe PIT-MCO 1x daily. The same strategy worked for DL at RDU, against AA.

It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.

Please bear in mind that SLC is a DL hub and DL has connected PIT to their prime hub in SLC which is also a fortress hub. The only DL hub that PIT doesn't have a hub is to CVG which I do not know how much demand it carries. LAX is another DL hub which does not have a PIT direct. RDU is a different story because DL has all intentions to make it a focus city and DL drove AA out from BOS also. I do not think DL may have intentions to add non-hub routes so soon considering that there are key hub routes to DTW, ATL from PIT.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:53 am

phluser wrote:
PIT-SLC along with the increase of PIT-BOS is good news for DL FFs in PIT. It might hold for PIT-SLC to prove itself before PIT-SEA or PIT-LAX, but I've been wondering if DL has plans to challenge AA on some short haul east coast routes: PIT-PHL/DCA/RDU (with 2-3 departures each) and maybe PIT-MCO 1x daily. The same strategy worked for DL at RDU, against AA.

It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.


I would be nice to see. I would love to see them give AA a run for their money.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 2896
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 am

phluser wrote:
PIT-SLC along with the increase of PIT-BOS is good news for DL FFs in PIT. It might hold for PIT-SLC to prove itself before PIT-SEA or PIT-LAX, but I've been wondering if DL has plans to challenge AA on some short haul east coast routes: PIT-PHL/DCA/RDU (with 2-3 departures each) and maybe PIT-MCO 1x daily. The same strategy worked for DL at RDU, against AA.

It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.


Good that PIT got SLC, I know that was on the airport's wishlist, I'm sure DL will use the PIT-SLC flight to study the viability of PIT-SEA/LAX.

Question though, why would DL take on the 800 pound gorilla at PHL, I don't see that ending very well for them...
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 am

Midwestindy wrote:
phluser wrote:
PIT-SLC along with the increase of PIT-BOS is good news for DL FFs in PIT. It might hold for PIT-SLC to prove itself before PIT-SEA or PIT-LAX, but I've been wondering if DL has plans to challenge AA on some short haul east coast routes: PIT-PHL/DCA/RDU (with 2-3 departures each) and maybe PIT-MCO 1x daily. The same strategy worked for DL at RDU, against AA.

It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.


Good that PIT got SLC, I know that was on the airport's wishlist, I'm sure DL will use the PIT-SLC flight to study the viability of PIT-SEA/LAX.

Question though, why would DL take on the 800 pound gorilla at PHL, I don't see that ending very well for them...

Especially after it didn't end well for both WN and FL.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:50 am

Runway28L wrote:
DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.

DL1734 319 SLC 1600 PIT 2255
DL1624 319 PIT 0800 SLC 1015

Daily service starting July 8th/9th, not sure if it's seasonal or not.

Was hoping the SLC-PIT flight would arrive earlier to tie in with the PIT-CDG flight. Same on the return.
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:03 am

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.

I'm wondering.....this route added just as the courts invalidated the 300% tariff on the C Series aircraft. Wonder if this is freeing up smaller mainline aircraft for new markets? Someone suggested previously that DL might use the C Series on a PIT-SLC route.
 
User avatar
DeltaL1011Flyer
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:53 am

I'm thinking this add is a good jumping off point to test demand/build loyalty to SoCal, the Silicon Valley/Bay Area, and Seattle for DL...geographically and user friendliness-wise, a great connecting point compared to some of our other choices.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:55 am

iyerhari wrote:
It'd seems DL could push for PIT to be almost on focus city size with about 10 more departures, and there are a number of fliers likely capable of switching loyalty to DL.

Please bear in mind that SLC is a DL hub and DL has connected PIT to their prime hub in SLC which is also a fortress hub. The only DL hub that PIT doesn't have a hub is to CVG which I do not know how much demand it carries. LAX is another DL hub which does not have a PIT direct. RDU is a different story because DL has all intentions to make it a focus city and DL drove AA out from BOS also. I do not think DL may have intentions to add non-hub routes so soon considering that there are key hub routes to DTW, ATL from PIT.[/quote]

I don't know if there's much of a mainline or regional demand for KPIT-KCVG for DL as far as hub-related traffic is concerned, especially with the addition of KSLC and the additional hub flights to KMSP (on top of KDTW and KATL).
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:58 am

Midwestindy wrote:
Good that PIT got SLC, I know that was on the airport's wishlist, I'm sure DL will use the PIT-SLC flight to study the viability of PIT-SEA/LAX.

Question though, why would DL take on the 800 pound gorilla at PHL, I don't see that ending very well for them...


I'm curious as to what the load factors are for WN and NK between KPIT and KLAX and if that could also play a role in whether or not DL adds service to KLAX.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 am

I flew back from KMCI to KPIT today via KSTL (for what it's worth, there were a few others continuing through to KPIT who started off at KMCI). WN1418 - a nearly full B738, no less, at the tail end of a KSMF-KPDX-KSTL-KPIT shift - arrived at A17 at KPIT, which I found a little odd, considering that WN has four gates (A1, A3, A5, A7), but I've seen WN 'boarding posts' installed at four additional gates (A9, A11, A15 and A17, as best as I could tell). Are the latter four gates used as reserve gates for higher demand or something? I'm a little confused as to how it works.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:12 am

PIT-LAX really needs a premium cabin on the route.
 
User avatar
Runway28L
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:19 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
I flew back from KMCI to KPIT today via KSTL (for what it's worth, there were a few others continuing through to KPIT who started off at KMCI). WN1418 - a nearly full B738, no less, at the tail end of a KSMF-KPDX-KSTL-KPIT shift - arrived at A17 at KPIT, which I found a little odd, considering that WN has four gates (A1, A3, A5, A7), but I've seen WN 'boarding posts' installed at four additional gates (A9, A11, A15 and A17, as best as I could tell). Are the latter four gates used as reserve gates for higher demand or something? I'm a little confused as to how it works.

WN has so many RONs at PIT that sometimes they'll wrap around to A22 and even A20.

Speaking of which, with the (relative new) BOS flight and now with SLC added, I'm fairly certain DL will have possession of over half of the gates in Concourse D by this summer.
Greetings from KPIT! Check out my photos here: https://www.airliners.net/search?user=45 ... teAccepted
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 am

Runway28L wrote:
Especially after it [PIT-PHL] didn't end well for both WN and FL.

When FL tried PIT-PHL, PIT was a fortress hub with strong allegiance to US which did not waiver.
When WN tried PIT-PHL, PIT was being drawn down but was still a very large focus city with the same allegiance. Furthermore, they operated 7 daily 737s during their peak on the route and 3x daily when they quit, so that was a lot of capacity. Finally, WN pulling PHL-PIT was part of their massive retreat at PHL.

The competitive landscape is so much different at PIT today as far as the local FF base. Looking at tomorrow's PIT-PHL fares the cheapest I see is $427 for a route still dominated by AA so I think there is room for competition. If DL wants to make a bit of a push at PIT I can see them give PIT-PHL a try 2x daily with CR7s to see how it goes. Those fares to PHL are much higher than to BOS where they now fly 3x daily, and on a much longer route no less (even though they have some Europe connections in BOS).


ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to what the load factors are for WN and NK between KPIT and KLAX and if that could also play a role in whether or not DL adds service to KLAX.

Aug '17
WN 92%
NK 74%

Oct '17
WN 90%
NK 84%

In Sept NK was at 63% so PIT-LAX is not looking good for them.
FLYi
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:40 am

AaronPGH wrote:
PIT-LAX really needs a premium cabin on the route.


That might be enough of an incentive for DL to give KPIT-KLAX a shot. Then again, AA and UA also have hub networks at KLAX, and I don't recall either of those two carriers racing to add the route...
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 am

Runway28L wrote:
Speaking of which, with the (relative new) BOS flight and now with SLC added, I'm fairly certain DL will have possession of over half of the gates in Concourse D by this summer.


They're close now, with six out of the 14 gates at D at the moment.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:46 am

flyPIT wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to what the load factors are for WN and NK between KPIT and KLAX and if that could also play a role in whether or not DL adds service to KLAX.

Aug '17
WN 92%
NK 74%

Oct '17
WN 90%
NK 84%

In Sept NK was at 63% so PIT-LAX is not looking good for them.


Ouch. IINM, WN did have a bit of a jump start on KPIT-KLAX compared to NK. And I don't doubt those WN load factors, since I flew WN to LAX a couple of years ago and the flight was pretty full as best as I could recall.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:18 am

With DL adding service to their KSLC hub (this looks to be more of a restoration of seasonal service that was operated a decade ago), I was wondering which of the US3 domestic hubs were not served from KPIT.

AA: KLAX
DL: KCVG, KLAX, KSEA
UA: KLAX (KSFO is still listed as a seasonal flight, though I thought one of those r/ts was a year-round flight)

Is it me, or does the US3 seem content to leave KPIT-KLAX to WN/NK?
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
acentauri
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:11 am

I'm getting dizzy navigating all these "K"s. :devil: :devil:
 
LovePrunesAnet
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:04 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Exactly
Good Lord enough with the K's
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 pm

acentauri wrote:
I'm getting dizzy navigating all these "K"s. :devil: :devil:

ICAO designation.
B-GREENLAND, ICELAND
C- CANADA
D- NORTH AFRICA
E- UK,IRELAND,NORTHERN EUROPE(EG/EI/EF/ES/EN/ED/EB/EH.....
U- RUSSIA,ASIA
L- SOUTHERN EUROPE
H- NORTH/EAST AFRICE
F- SOUTHERN AFRICA
O-MIDDLE EAST
V-INDIA, SE ASIA
W-INDONESIA/MALAYSIA/SINGAPORE(WI/WM/WS)
Y-AUSTRAILIA
R-JAPAN/KOREA/TAIWAN/PHILIPPINES(RJ/RK/RC/RP)
Z-CHINA
M-CARIBBEAN/MEXICO/CENT AMERICA
S - SOUTH AMERICA
T- PUERTO RICO, THE ISLANDS
G- WEST AFRICA
K- CONTINENTAL USA
P- ALASKA, HAWAII, WAKE, MIDWAY, GUAM ....yes, although part of the US, they have different designations e.g. PHNL, Honolulu
N- SOUTH PACIFIC/NEW ZEALAND
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:08 pm

acentauri wrote:
I'm getting dizzy navigating all these "K"s. :devil: :devil:


LOL
 
User avatar
pitbosflyer
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:13 pm

flyPIT wrote:

The competitive landscape is so much different at PIT today as far as the local FF base. Looking at tomorrow's PIT-PHL fares the cheapest I see is $427 for a route still dominated by AA so I think there is room for competition. If DL wants to make a bit of a push at PIT I can see them give PIT-PHL a try 2x daily with CR7s to see how it goes. Those fares to PHL are much higher than to BOS where they now fly 3x daily, and on a much longer route no less (even though they have some Europe connections in BOS).


I agree, if DL can survive on the Boston route against B6, then they could take on AA to PHL. The one difference being BOS is a DL hub. But still I think the route would work for them on a CRJ. The demand for PHL would be higher if it was priced more competitively.
 
PITingres
Posts: 1187
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:59 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:21 pm

AA would drop PHL pricing in a second. I'd love to see DL take on AA to PHL, but I think it they would have to make the internal commitment to be in it at loss-leader pricing for the long term, because AA would not make it easy. Fortunately, I think local pax are finally aware that there are other airlines besides US / AA - at least I hope so!
Fly, you fools! Fly!
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

DeltaL1011Flyer wrote:
DL adding PIT-SLC in July, per Enilria's OAG thread...didn't see that add coming before some others on the radar.

These flights are up on DL's reservation system.
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

PITingres wrote:
AA would drop PHL pricing in a second. I'd love to see DL take on AA to PHL, but I think it they would have to make the internal commitment to be in it at loss-leader pricing for the long term, because AA would not make it easy. Fortunately, I think local pax are finally aware that there are other airlines besides US / AA - at least I hope so!


It may not be a big deal though if AA matches. DL would only need to focus on enough flights on small planes to skim off DL FF that were flying AA out of necessity. Over time they could use the flights as a wedge to push AA out and win over AA/US FF.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:16 pm

ConcourseZ wrote:
acentauri wrote:
I'm getting dizzy navigating all these "K"s. :devil: :devil:

ICAO designation.
Not to pile on, but generally ICAO codes are only used for navigation and regulatory publications. The remainder of the world's aviation discussions use IATA codes (the 3 letter codes). IATA codes are much easier to identify than ICAO codes outside North America.


PITingres wrote:
AA would drop PHL pricing in a second. I'd love to see DL take on AA to PHL, but I think it they would have to make the internal commitment to be in it at loss-leader pricing for the long term, because AA would not make it easy. Fortunately, I think local pax are finally aware that there are other airlines besides US / AA - at least I hope so!
Sure, AA will price match, but in this case it would be DL setting the price. Considering AA is charging north of $400 DL can come in and offer $250 fares, not $59 fares so it might not even be a loss leader.

I'd be more concerned about AA dumping capacity. When WN was on the route the total number of passengers was double what it is now.
FLYi
 
steeler83
Posts: 7462
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Runway28L wrote:
Especially after it [PIT-PHL] didn't end well for both WN and FL.

When FL tried PIT-PHL, PIT was a fortress hub with strong allegiance to US which did not waiver.
When WN tried PIT-PHL, PIT was being drawn down but was still a very large focus city with the same allegiance. Furthermore, they operated 7 daily 737s during their peak on the route and 3x daily when they quit, so that was a lot of capacity. Finally, WN pulling PHL-PIT was part of their massive retreat at PHL.

The competitive landscape is so much different at PIT today as far as the local FF base. Looking at tomorrow's PIT-PHL fares the cheapest I see is $427 for a route still dominated by AA so I think there is room for competition. If DL wants to make a bit of a push at PIT I can see them give PIT-PHL a try 2x daily with CR7s to see how it goes. Those fares to PHL are much higher than to BOS where they now fly 3x daily, and on a much longer route no less (even though they have some Europe connections in BOS).


ctrabs0114 wrote:
I'm curious as to what the load factors are for WN and NK between KPIT and KLAX and if that could also play a role in whether or not DL adds service to KLAX.

Aug '17
WN 92%
NK 74%

Oct '17
WN 90%
NK 84%

In Sept NK was at 63% so PIT-LAX is not looking good for them.


I concur that WN axing PIT-PHL had more to do with their downsizing of PHL than competition from US. In the beginning of this decade WN was talking about making PHL a 100-plus flight operation. Then, they acquired FL which gave them an even bigger base at BWI. Therefore, WN moved all of its northeast point-to-point/connecting traffic down to BWI as part of its massive pull-down of PHL.

Regarding price-matching; I think there is room for more than one airline on this route. WN stimulated the market when they flew it. Yet, DL would likely match it product for product (premium cabin, for what it's worth) - providing they don't waste their time with CRJ equipment. I would think CR7 and/or CR9 equipment would be more than sufficient to boot.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Regarding HQ2, I found this interesting:

"There is another, little-noticed factor that could boost Pittsburgh’s talent points. FedEx Ground is headquartered in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Home to thousands of employees with deep expertise in shipping and logistics, FedEx Ground represents a poaching goldmine as Amazon continues to build out its delivery network. Amazon is reportedly experimenting with a new delivery service for third-party merchants that would compete directly with FedEx, and the company has been steadily expanding its own delivery network for years.

“Amazon covets FedEx Ground employees,” a former FedEx Ground executive, who asked not to be named, told GeekWire.

“Many have been poached at a high level, but by locating in Pittsburgh, Amazon would have access to thousands of current and former FedEx Ground employees at all levels and in all disciplines – especially engineering,” he said."

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/can-pittsburgh-land-amazons-hq2-grading-steel-citys-strengths-drawbacks-secret-weapons/


GeekWire now ranks Pittsburgh behind only Boston, Austin, and the Potomac region:
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/ranking-amazons-hq2-short-list-analysis-top-20-contenders-one-best-shot-winning/
FLYi
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:00 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Regarding HQ2, I found this interesting:

"There is another, little-noticed factor that could boost Pittsburgh’s talent points. FedEx Ground is headquartered in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. Home to thousands of employees with deep expertise in shipping and logistics, FedEx Ground represents a poaching goldmine as Amazon continues to build out its delivery network. Amazon is reportedly experimenting with a new delivery service for third-party merchants that would compete directly with FedEx, and the company has been steadily expanding its own delivery network for years.

“Amazon covets FedEx Ground employees,” a former FedEx Ground executive, who asked not to be named, told GeekWire.

“Many have been poached at a high level, but by locating in Pittsburgh, Amazon would have access to thousands of current and former FedEx Ground employees at all levels and in all disciplines – especially engineering,” he said."

https://www.geekwire.com/2018/can-pittsburgh-land-amazons-hq2-grading-steel-citys-strengths-drawbacks-secret-weapons/


GeekWire now ranks Pittsburgh behind only Boston, Austin, and the Potomac region:
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/ranking-amazons-hq2-short-list-analysis-top-20-contenders-one-best-shot-winning/


Full disclosure: I work for Amazon at the sort center in Pittsburgh and I can say that we do have a few former FedEx Ground folks in management. Whether or not that swings HQ2 to Pittsburgh or not remains to be seen.
2018: BWI, PIT, MDW, MCI, STL, DAL, ATL, BNA
 
fmi1
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am

PIT-SLC = HUGE! Amazing job Christina! Schedule is showing the flight all the way out to December. I really hope this is fully year round and not something like our 10 month UA SFO service. I do expect it will be year round though, skiing traffic should easily maintain this flight in the winter months. I'm guessing Feb-March might even have higher yields than shoulder season in the spring and fall. I only have anecdotal data to support this, but it seems a lot of pittsburgh area skiers take annual trips out to SLC. I also think DL is going to start capturing some FF from other airlines that have been on the fence about switching programs.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:25 am

"Pittsburgh's Qatar Airways cargo service slow to take off"
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13200962-74/pittsburghs-qatar-airways-cargo-service-slow-to-take-off

So there is some clarification about the 60 ton requirement - it is indeed round trip as I figured. That equates to a bit over 1/4 of the aircraft's round trip capacity of approx 225 tons, with a bit under 3/4 remaining for ATL. If the PIT stop is only meeting a bit under 25% of that 'bit over 1/4 of the aircraft's capacity' goal, then the total volume on the airplane dedicated to PIT is only approximately 10% of its capacity (225 ton round trip capacity of a B77F with PIT filling 22 tons per round trip in Dec).

If PIT is fighting tooth and nail with ATL to get space on this flight and is having excess volume trucked to and from other gateways, that reasoning does not pass muster considering there is a contract in place for 60 tons that if not met results in financial penalty for the ACAA. If fighting ATL for space was really a reason for PIT's poor showing then I would think it would be a logical explanation the ACAA could give the paper without making themselves look embarrassed.

Having said that, any article from the Tribune-Review involving PIT and incentives has been a borderline hit piece lately, and their editorials on the subject are even worse. It would not surprise me if they did not disclose any issues with sharing space with ATL. Or perhaps QR is trying to have their cake and eat it too by trucking PIT volume elsewhere so they can collect greater incentives; that would not surprise me either. I would like to think the ACAA would have a system of checks and balances in this contract to make sure that does not happen.

It's interesting the flight did marginally better from Oct. 12 - Nov 30 than it did in Dec. *My numbers above are ball park considering it is not known if the tonnage is metric or US tons.
FLYi
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 am

flyPIT wrote:
"Pittsburgh's Qatar Airways cargo service slow to take off"
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13200962-74/pittsburghs-qatar-airways-cargo-service-slow-to-take-off

So there is some clarification about the 60 ton requirement - it is indeed round trip as I figured. That equates to a bit over 1/4 of the aircraft's round trip capacity of approx 225 tons, with a bit under 3/4 remaining for ATL. If the PIT stop is only meeting a bit under 25% of that 'bit over 1/4 of the aircraft's capacity' goal, then the total volume on the airplane dedicated to PIT is only approximately 10% of its capacity (225 ton round trip capacity of a B77F with PIT filling 22 tons per round trip in Dec).

If PIT is fighting tooth and nail with ATL to get space on this flight and is having excess volume trucked to and from other gateways, that reasoning does not pass muster considering there is a contract in place for 60 tons that if not met results in financial penalty for the ACAA. If fighting ATL for space was really a reason for PIT's poor showing then I would think it would be a logical explanation the ACAA could give the paper without making themselves look embarrassed.

Having said that, any article from the Tribune-Review involving PIT and incentives has been a borderline hit piece lately, and their editorials on the subject are even worse. It would not surprise me if they did not disclose any issues with sharing space with ATL. Or perhaps QR is trying to have their cake and eat it too by trucking PIT volume elsewhere so they can collect greater incentives; that would not surprise me either. I would like to think the ACAA would have a system of checks and balances in this contract to make sure that does not happen.

It's interesting the flight did marginally better from Oct. 12 - Nov 30 than it did in Dec. *My numbers above are ball park considering it is not known if the tonnage is metric or US tons.

I do not consider the Trib to be a reliable source for anything.
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 pm

FLYi
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:33 pm

PIT-SLC news release from DL.
http://news.delta.com/new-summer-season ... -lake-city
Trib article makes no sense at the end when counting 74 destinations.

P-G article better.
http://www.post-gazette.com/business/pi ... 1801300100
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:10 am

The T-R article has now been updated to state the SLC flight is year-round. Its odd the DL press release states it is "summer seasonal" yet the flight is available for booking all the way through the current booking window (Dec 27).
FLYi
 
AaronPGH
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 am

What would seasonal mean for SLC, even, when you factor in skiing? I'm assuming that will drive it a good bit in the winter. Not sure where a "low point" would exist.
 
User avatar
flymco753
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:09 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:55 am

On the DL announcement they seemed to have removed the seasonal part.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 2896
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 am

AaronPGH wrote:
What would seasonal mean for SLC, even, when you factor in skiing? I'm assuming that will drive it a good bit in the winter. Not sure where a "low point" would exist.


I thought that too, however there is a sizeable drop in PDEW around winter..
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....
 
User avatar
flyPIT
Posts: 1112
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:05 am

flymco753 wrote:
On the DL announcement they seemed to have removed the seasonal part.

Cool thanks. They just updated that within the last 10 minutes.
FLYi
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 am

Seasonal never made sense starting in July.
 
User avatar
ConcourseZ
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:07 am

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:33 am

From the article the other day, it looks like the Chinese charter is still in the picture. I wonder when that might be announced. Also, any speculation on WestJet coming in? Seems unlikely, at the moment, but as we have seen, there are surprises.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos