rosecityspotter

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am

jsta1981 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
Why does Frontier bother staying at PDX? They only operate one year-round daily destination (DEN) and two seasonal 3-day/wk (AUS, CLE). Their connections are pretty much horrible.

Right...?! I don't get it at all. Who the hell would want to take a PDX-DEN flight that leaves around 1:00 AM and arrives at DEN at 4:30 AM. It's totally beyond me. Three of their four departures out of PDX are red-eye flights (1 DEN, 1 AUS, 1 CLE), and their remaining flight to DEN is almost a red-eye, leaving PDX at 7:30 PM and arriving at DEN at 11:10 PM (which isn't even daily, BTW)...

You should use Alaska airlines flight to Austin next time you go to Austin instead of using frontiers flight. I always fly to Austin on Alaska and I fly my employees to Austin on Alaska. It is timed much better than frontiers flight. Frontiers flight is definitely more for the cost conscious flyer....which evidently there must be some of those here in PDX.

And why anyone would wanna fly frontier is beyond me lol

FA9295

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm

jsta1981 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
Why does Frontier bother staying at PDX? They only operate one year-round daily destination (DEN) and two seasonal 3-day/wk (AUS, CLE). Their connections are pretty much horrible.

Right...?! I don't get it at all. Who the hell would want to take a PDX-DEN flight that leaves around 1:00 AM and arrives at DEN at 4:30 AM. It's totally beyond me. Three of their four departures out of PDX are red-eye flights (1 DEN, 1 AUS, 1 CLE), and their remaining flight to DEN is almost a red-eye, leaving PDX at 7:30 PM and arriving at DEN at 11:10 PM (which isn't even daily, BTW)...

You should use Alaska airlines flight to Austin next time you go to Austin instead of using frontiers flight. I always fly to Austin on Alaska and I fly my employees to Austin on Alaska. It is timed much better than frontiers flight. Frontiers flight is definitely more for the cost conscious flyer....which evidently there must be some of those here in PDX.

Well I don't think any company should be flying their employees on Frontier and/or Spirit at all... ;)

bigfoot0503

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Ouch...jsta1981 pretty sure most Cincinnati folks will disagree with your point of view. I have a daughter who attends Xavier University in Cincinnati and everything you said about that city I would suspect are simply your opinions. You may want to do some research before speaking up on certain topics. Actually CVG is one of the fastest growing airports as for number of seats added in the past year (including new international service to Iceland by WOW Air). How about the HUGE MEGAHUB for AMAZON PRIME AIR that is soon come on-line, or the significance that CVG already plays in the air cargo world? Although the airport is in Hebron, KY...both Ohio and Kentucky reap the benefits. Point being...very much not a "depressed" area as was suggested.

The city is rich with history, the arts and a deep sense of culture and it happens to have one of the most compelling museums I've had the privilege of touring (National Underground Railroad Museum). The Banks Area...a revitalized district along the Ohio River is a sports mecca with the home of the Cincinnati Reds and 3-4 blocks down Paul Brown Stadium, the home of the Cincinnati Bengals. Between the two stadiums the Banks is filled with brewpubs, restaurants, hotels, condos, shops and beautiful parks. Speaking of sports...Cincinnati was just awarded an MLS franchise...with season ticket committed sales already exceeding 17,000. Oh and by the way...THE BEST BASKETBALL I have ever witnessed is in Cincinnati when I have watched Big East teams such as Xavier play Vilanova or Butler or better yet the rivalry that those in the west are naive to...Xavier vs University of Cincinnati (yes that is my opinion).

I really could go on and on about Cincinnati, the amazing food scene, the AMAZING and ever emerging craft beer scene, Findlay Market, Over The Rhine Area...or how about the fact that Cincinnati just opened their first Light Rail Line??? But as you said who in their right mind would go to a city like Cincinnati??? Hmmm...don't knock until you try it.

One more correction...you may want to consider why Delta maintains the minimal presence that they do at CVG (minimal compared to their hub days)...perhaps there is more contractually to maintaining the terms of their lease at Concourse B then the reason you cite. Most of the Delta flying up until some recent changes have all been CRJ equipment with 1 or 2 flights per day to various cities. My apologies as I recognize I am going on about another market here on the Oregon thread but I felt a bit of frustration again in certain comparisons being made and conclusions drawn that simply make no sense.

jsta1981

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:27 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Ouch...jsta1981 pretty sure most Cincinnati folks will disagree with your point of view. I have a daughter who attends Xavier University in Cincinnati and everything you said about that city I would suspect are simply your opinions. You may want to do some research before speaking up on certain topics. Actually CVG is one of the fastest growing airports as for number of seats added in the past year (including new international service to Iceland by WOW Air). How about the HUGE MEGAHUB for AMAZON PRIME AIR that is soon come on-line, or the significance that CVG already plays in the air cargo world? Although the airport is in Hebron, KY...both Ohio and Kentucky reap the benefits. Point being...very much not a "depressed" area as was suggested.

The city is rich with history, the arts and a deep sense of culture and it happens to have one of the most compelling museums I've had the privilege of touring (National Underground Railroad Museum). The Banks Area...a revitalized district along the Ohio River is a sports mecca with the home of the Cincinnati Reds and 3-4 blocks down Paul Brown Stadium, the home of the Cincinnati Bengals. Between the two stadiums the Banks is filled with brewpubs, restaurants, hotels, condos, shops and beautiful parks. Speaking of sports...Cincinnati was just awarded an MLS franchise...with season ticket committed sales already exceeding 17,000. Oh and by the way...THE BEST BASKETBALL I have ever witnessed is in Cincinnati when I have watched Big East teams such as Xavier play Vilanova or Butler or better yet the rivalry that those in the west are naive to...Xavier vs University of Cincinnati (yes that is my opinion).

I really could go on and on about Cincinnati, the amazing food scene, the AMAZING and ever emerging craft beer scene, Findlay Market, Over The Rhine Area...or how about the fact that Cincinnati just opened their first Light Rail Line??? But as you said who in their right mind would go to a city like Cincinnati??? Hmmm...don't knock until you try it.

One more correction...you may want to consider why Delta maintains the minimal presence that they do at CVG (minimal compared to their hub days)...perhaps there is more contractually to maintaining the terms of their lease at Concourse B then the reason you cite. Most of the Delta flying up until some recent changes have all been CRJ equipment with 1 or 2 flights per day to various cities. My apologies as I recognize I am going on about another market here on the Oregon thread but I felt a bit of frustration again in certain comparisons being made and conclusions drawn that simply make no sense.

You're correct about Cincinnati....it is a city that's no longer depressed....it was for awhile....but it's trying to make a comeback. There's a reason Cincinnati's nickname was Cincinasty though. But yes it's definitely making a comeback...getting new airlines, a beautiful waterfront park along the Ohio river...which btw is amazing to hang out at on a nice spring day. I especially enjoy the fountain and the neat swings that they have in the park. I love going for a run in the park and then hopping over the bridge and continuing my run in Kentucky....it's very scenic. Food scene is definitely nothing to write home about...although if you ever visit again you should definitely try the Butler County Donut Trail....you'll even get a free tshirt at the end if you complete it. I must say they make some excellent donuts in Cincinnati. The Sports teams are also definitely nothing to write home about...."sports mecca" lol....Reds and Bengals anyone??? Last year I went to a Reds game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and there were probably 10000 people there. Beautiful stadium though. I'm glad that you enjoy the Cincinnati Butler rivalry!!
For the midwest region....Cincinnati is a rather nice city to look at....I love the trees and the rolling hills.

pdxswa

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Some nice late evening light on HAL 40 arriving from OGG. Just a couple more days and the Neo will be back !

bigfoot0503

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:42 pm

jsta1981...BTW it's Xavier vs Butler that I enjoy, I rather detest UC.

cvgComair

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 am

jsta1981 wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

You're correct about Cincinnati....it is a city that's no longer depressed....it was for awhile....but it's trying to make a comeback. There's a reason Cincinnati's nickname was Cincinasty though. But yes it's definitely making a comeback...getting new airlines, a beautiful waterfront park along the Ohio river...which btw is amazing to hang out at on a nice spring day. I especially enjoy the fountain and the neat swings that they have in the park. I love going for a run in the park and then hopping over the bridge and continuing my run in Kentucky....it's very scenic. Food scene is definitely nothing to write home about...although if you ever visit again you should definitely try the Butler County Donut Trail....you'll even get a free tshirt at the end if you complete it. I must say they make some excellent donuts in Cincinnati. The Sports teams are also definitely nothing to write home about...."sports mecca" lol....Reds and Bengals anyone??? Last year I went to a Reds game on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and there were probably 10000 people there. Beautiful stadium though. I'm glad that you enjoy the Cincinnati Butler rivalry!!
For the midwest region....Cincinnati is a rather nice city to look at....I love the trees and the rolling hills.

The only sports team to write home about in Cincinnati is our soccer team. :)

Airline passenger wise, CVG was the fastest growing airport in the country for 2017 and has continued this trend into 2018 (April pax were up 24% YOY). The traffic should surpass IND this year and surpass/match CLE/PIT in a year or two. Presently, we are looking at an estimated 11-13 million passengers by 2021. The city and airport are making a comeback, so it will be interesting to see where CVG settles in comparison to cities such as Nashville, Raleigh, St. Louis, etc. PDX is the largest unserved market from CVG, so I could see Delta trying the route again in the next few years given the amount fo growth they have had in Cincinnati recently.

jsta1981

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:

Lol...my bad. Also....next time you visit Cincinnati take a 90 minute drive to Lexington. Pretty drive once you get out of the Cincinnati suburbs and nice town to visit as well.

jsta1981

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:11 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:

Lol...my bad. Also....next time you visit Cincinnati take a 90 minute drive to Lexington. Pretty drive once you get out of the Cincinnati suburbs and nice town to visit as well.

jbpdx

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 am

pdxswa wrote:
Some nice late evening light on HAL 40 arriving from OGG. Just a couple more days and the Neo will be back !

According to FlightView, PDX-OGG is 767 until 15 August.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, MEX, CUN; +BNA, +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

jsta1981

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:04 am

cvgComair wrote:
jsta1981 wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Airline passenger wise, CVG was the fastest growing airport in the country for 2017 and has continued this trend into 2018 (April pax were up 24% YOY). The traffic should surpass IND this year and surpass/match CLE/PIT in a year or two. Presently, we are looking at an estimated 11-13 million passengers by 2021. The city and airport are making a comeback, so it will be interesting to see where CVG settles in comparison to cities such as Nashville, Raleigh, St. Louis, etc. PDX is the largest unserved market from CVG, so I could see Delta trying the route again in the next few years given the amount fo growth they have had in Cincinnati recently.

Yes Cincinnati should surpass Cleveland and Pittsburgh in passenger traffic soon. Speaking of CLE/PIT....I do A LOT of traveling (specifically to the midwest and south) for my work and it's been great to see those cities climb out of their slumps....along with Cincinnati and Detroit and too an extent Memphis & Milwaukee as well. They're such historically important cities it's nice to see them start to turn things around. For such a long time places like Cleveland were just dumps....well Memphis and Milwaukee still are, but its as if they've hit rock bottom and are slowly starting to dig themselves out of their holes. For the midwest...Cincinnati is actually a rather pleasant area to visit. The old architecture is great!! I doubt delta will restart CVG-pdx anytime soon....but maybe frontier would start it. Seems like a Frontier sort of thing to do on a seasonal basis. It'll be interesting to see if Cincinnati can catch up to the Nashville's, Portland's, and Raleigh-Durhams.

FA9295

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 am

jbpdx wrote:
pdxswa wrote:

Google flights has PDX-OGG back to the A321 on 14 June: https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 6;tt=o;s=0

bobsmith99

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 pm

jsta1981 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:
jsta1981 wrote:

Yes Cincinnati should surpass Cleveland and Pittsburgh in passenger traffic soon. Speaking of CLE/PIT....I do A LOT of traveling (specifically to the midwest and south) for my work and it's been great to see those cities climb out of their slumps....along with Cincinnati and Detroit and too an extent Memphis & Milwaukee as well. They're such historically important cities it's nice to see them start to turn things around. For such a long time places like Cleveland were just dumps....well Memphis and Milwaukee still are, but its as if they've hit rock bottom and are slowly starting to dig themselves out of their holes. For the midwest...Cincinnati is actually a rather pleasant area to visit. The old architecture is great!! I doubt delta will restart CVG-pdx anytime soon....but maybe frontier would start it. Seems like a Frontier sort of thing to do on a seasonal basis. It'll be interesting to see if Cincinnati can catch up to the Nashville's, Portland's, and Raleigh-Durhams.

Time will tell, but Pittsburgh is on an economic growth trajectory that most of the traditional rust belt cities are aiming for. Pittsburgh has reinvented itself as a health care/tech center and you can feel the momentum when you're there. I don't see Cincinnati catching Pittsburgh, but I could be wrong. Also, I disagree strongly with your assertion that Milwaukee is a "dump". It is my favorite Midwestern city- lots of great architecture, picturesque (and accessible) lake, great food, and the downtown is really experiencing a renaissance. A great mix of old and new industry as well.

zackary747

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 pm

bobsmith99 wrote:
jsta1981 wrote:
cvgComair wrote:

Time will tell, but Pittsburgh is on an economic growth trajectory that most of the traditional rust belt cities are aiming for. Pittsburgh has reinvented itself as a health care/tech center and you can feel the momentum when you're there. I don't see Cincinnati catching Pittsburgh, but I could be wrong. Also, I disagree strongly with your assertion that Milwaukee is a "dump". It is my favorite Midwestern city- lots of great architecture, picturesque (and accessible) lake, great food, and the downtown is really experiencing a renaissance. A great mix of old and new industry as well.

I also agree that Milwaukee isn't a dump. Also, don't sleep on Indianapolis. Record breaking tourism. The BEST racing, convention, and sports tourism you can find just about. Ranked #1 airport in North America 6 years in a row, #1 convention city in the US, and of course #1 most underrated food city in the US. Can't sleep on Indy. There's a lot going on here. I'm still waiting for IND to release March numbers, but I have a feeling that 7.7 percent (Feb 2018) is going to skyrocket soon. There's good days ahead for (almost) all Midwestern cities. And well, when it comes to tech growth. Indy ranked #5 for tech growth in the nation last year in 2017. If tech and midwest is the conversation, Indy is no doubt one of the main cities that shall pop up. Infosys, Salesforce, and the list goes on.
Indianapolis Airport Spotter

Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr

rosecityspotter

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:21 am

FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
pdxswa wrote:

Google flights has PDX-OGG back to the A321 on 14 June: https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 6;tt=o;s=0

June 12 is last day +/- a few days

bobsmith99

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

zackary747 wrote:
bobsmith99 wrote:
jsta1981 wrote:

I also agree that Milwaukee isn't a dump. Also, don't sleep on Indianapolis. Record breaking tourism. The BEST racing, convention, and sports tourism you can find just about. Ranked #1 airport in North America 6 years in a row, #1 convention city in the US, and of course #1 most underrated food city in the US. Can't sleep on Indy. There's a lot going on here. I'm still waiting for IND to release March numbers, but I have a feeling that 7.7 percent (Feb 2018) is going to skyrocket soon. There's good days ahead for (almost) all Midwestern cities. And well, when it comes to tech growth. Indy ranked #5 for tech growth in the nation last year in 2017. If tech and midwest is the conversation, Indy is no doubt one of the main cities that shall pop up. Infosys, Salesforce, and the list goes on.

Agreed Zachary. Indy has some great momentum for sure- esp. in the tech sector. I'd love to see a PDX-IND flight at some point.

jbpdx

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:47 pm

It appears Cathay Pacific Cargo is now routing a 747 from Chicago through Portland en route to Hong Kong (Monday) in addition to the regular Thursday and Saturday flights from LAX. Just found it on FlightView. Not sure when it started or the duration.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, MEX, CUN; +BNA, +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

pdxswa

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Some nice evening light on one of the most iconic features of PDX. Mt. Hood behind a visiting Super Hornet !

pdxswa

Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:57 pm

jbpdx wrote:
It appears Cathay Pacific Cargo is now routing a 747 from Chicago through Portland en route to Hong Kong (Monday) in addition to the regular Thursday and Saturday flights from LAX. Just found it on FlightView. Not sure when it started or the duration.

This additional routing may be because of the cherry season starting. There is quite a demand for them in Asia. When Asiana had cargo service out of here. There main reason for coming here was for the cherries.

FA9295

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:42 pm

OAG Update: 6/10/2018:

NK LAS-PDX OCT 1.7>3

Nothing else this week for Oregon.

However, NK is apparently ending some transcon SEA routes (BWI, DTW, IAH):

NK BWI-SEA NOV 1.0>0 DEC 1.0>0 JAN 1.0>0
NK DTW-SEA SEP 1.0>0.1 OCT 1.0>0
NK IAH-SEA SEP 1.0>0.1 OCT 1.0>0

FA9295

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Also, from August 26th, Alaska's PDX-MSP is going to early morning departure (departs PDX at 6:05 AM instead of ~10:00 AM)

The return flight is pushed back ~2 hours, leaving MSP at 7:55 PM and arriving to PDX at 9:51 PM.

kunta67

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 am

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this or it's been announced but I'm not seeing any non-stop flights on AS to either PVR or SJD from PDX in the first week of December. I thought the seasonal flights usually begin in November.

FA9295

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 am

kunta67 wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this or it's been announced but I'm not seeing any non-stop flights on AS to either PVR or SJD from PDX in the first week of December. I thought the seasonal flights usually begin in November.

PDX-PVR starts December 14th: https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... o;s=0;so=t
PDX-SJD starts December 15th: https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 2;s=0;so=t

FA9295

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 am

On a separate note, however, it looks like Alaska is actually extending it's schedule on it's PDX-PVR/SJD routes. Both of these routes ended on April 20th of this year, but now I'm seeing bookings for these flights available in the first week of May (for both PVR and SJD). Note that both of these routes resume in December 2018.

PDX-PVR (May 3, 2019): https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 4;s=0;so=t
PDX-SJD (May 4, 2019): https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 2;s=0;so=t

RWA380

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm

FA9295 wrote:
On a separate note, however, it looks like Alaska is actually extending it's schedule on it's PDX-PVR/SJD routes. Both of these routes ended on April 20th of this year, but now I'm seeing bookings for these flights available in the first week of May (for both PVR and SJD). Note that both of these routes resume in December 2018.

PDX-PVR (May 3, 2019): https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 4;s=0;so=t
PDX-SJD (May 4, 2019): https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#sea ... 2;s=0;so=t

I was looking for the start date for the PDX-SJD non-stop, guess we'll be connecting in SAN early December, thanks for the heads up.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

jbpdx

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:43 pm

The Mexico seasonals always started in mid-December, Hawaii seasonals in mid-November. FlightView shows PVR and SJD going to end of May, adding an extra month.

jplatts

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Will AS ever add PDX-IAD nonstop service? AS is already at IAD with nonstop service to SEA, SFO, and LAX out of IAD, but AS's IAD-SFO and IAD-LAX nonstop service was acquired through the VX-AS merger. PDX is beyond the DCA perimeter, and AS cannot add extra nonstops to DCA from PDX with the perimeter restrictions at DCA. IAD is also located 60 miles west of BWI on the west side of the DC metropolitan area.

FA9295

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:09 am

jplatts wrote:
Will AS ever add PDX-IAD nonstop service? AS is already at IAD with nonstop service to SEA, SFO, and LAX out of IAD, but AS's IAD-SFO and IAD-LAX nonstop service was acquired through the VX-AS merger. PDX is beyond the DCA perimeter, and AS cannot add extra nonstops to DCA from PDX with the perimeter restrictions at DCA. IAD is also located 60 miles west of BWI on the west side of the DC metropolitan area.

If Alaska were to add any routes from PDX that are already served, I would choose Dulles/IAD, as well as Houston/IAH. There's only one daily IAD flight to/from PDX on United. That would likely be a red-eye flight to IAD, and a mid-morning arrival back at PDX. United's Houston/IAH flights are almost always >90-95% full, and the competition against United would be very nice to see. This one, however, I could easily see as a mid-morning departure to IAH, and an early-evening arrival back at PDX.

FA9295

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 am

Also, Alaska really needs to move PDX-MSP to mainline Boeing 737 service. I have relatives that live in the Minneapolis area, and in trying to book a flight there and back, Alaska's E175 flights are almost always full, with usually only first class seats left; even as far out as October!!! Alaska's single flight alone, is almost always more than double the cost of Delta's and Sun Country's flights.

jbpdx

Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:27 am

Cathay Pacific Cargo had an extra flight in today from LAX. The flight from ORD arrives later for two 747s to Hong Kong.

SANFan

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Also, Alaska really needs to move PDX-MSP to mainline Boeing 737 service. I have relatives that live in the Minneapolis area, and in trying to book a flight there and back, Alaska's E175 flights are almost always full, with usually only first class seats left; even as far out as October!!! Alaska's single flight alone, is almost always more than double the cost of Delta's and Sun Country's flights.

SAN-MSP is the same; I'm hoping to see either an a/c upgrade to something bigger -- a 'Bus or a 737 -- or an added EMJ r/t. I think I would prefer daily-double EMJs for a choice of times rather than additional seats offered on a single r/t.

Nice to see heavily booked AAG flights on relatively new flights; SAN-OMA is apparently also performing extremely well.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned on this thread but the late August/early Sept schedule just released, is retaining the 4 daily PDX-SAN flights -- which have in the past been reduced back to 'only' triple-daily after the peak summer season schedule ends -- PLUS one of the r/t will be on a 'Bus. (The conversion of w/c flying to AirBi is well under way!) Who knows, maybe AS will stay with 4x daily PDX-SAN permanently.

Sorry to intrude. I now return this thread to Oregonians! It's always nice to visit though.

bb

FA9295

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:21 pm

SANFan wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

SAN-MSP is the same; I'm hoping to see either an a/c upgrade to something bigger -- a 'Bus or a 737 -- or an added EMJ r/t. I think I would prefer daily-double EMJs for a choice of times rather than additional seats offered on a single r/t.

Nice to see heavily booked AAG flights on relatively new flights; SAN-OMA is apparently also performing extremely well.

I don't think I've seen this mentioned on this thread but the late August/early Sept schedule just released, is retaining the 4 daily PDX-SAN flights -- which have in the past been reduced back to 'only' triple-daily after the peak summer season schedule ends -- PLUS one of the r/t will be on a 'Bus. (The conversion of w/c flying to AirBi is well under way!) Who knows, maybe AS will stay with 4x daily PDX-SAN permanently.

Sorry to intrude. I now return this thread to Oregonians! It's always nice to visit though.

bb

No need to apologize. :D In fact, just a few days ago, people from the Indianapolis and Cincinatti threads were here as well (and some of them weren't even talking about Oregon at all, lol).

Anyway, I agree that 2 EMJ flights would be better than one A320/B737. Technically, 2 EMJ's = more overall seat capacity than 1 mainline jet, and plus there are more available options with two separate flights. Regardless, the route desperately needs to get an upgrade of some kind.

Glad to hear that SAN-OMA is doing well. Unfortunately, our summer seasonal OMA flight is ending in August, and I don't think it's coming back for next season.

lhpdx

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:33 pm

"Glad to hear that SAN-OMA is doing well. Unfortunately, our summer seasonal OMA flight is ending in August, and I don't think it's coming back for next season." With the discontinuation of STL OMA, BLI, and KPSC out of PDX, it's becoming quite clear of what AS plans are for its PDX future operations. To route passengers via SEA...........

tphuang

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

SANFan wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

bb

DL kills AS on all the ex-MSP routes. There is a good reason why AS keeps on running E75s on them.

FA9295

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 am

Commercial flights could come back to Salem (SLE) by late 2019: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... ce=twitter

Here's what I could see coming to SLE:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC
United - DEN, LAX(?), SFO

pdxav8r

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 am

FA9295 wrote:
Commercial flights could come back to Salem (SLE) by late 2019: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... ce=twitter

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Love your enthusiasm, but not your vision of reality. I would love to see commercial service return to SLE. But the blowhards in the attached article aren’t grounded. First off, fares from SLE will always end up much higher than from PDX. Most Salem travelers will commute to PDX via car or the shuttle to save what always is a big difference in airfare. Salem isn’t some wealthy community, and most willing to pay the higher fares work in government. That situation hasn’t kept service the many times attempted once the free money went away. Salem is growing, but it isn’t ‘booming’ by any stretch. I would have envisioned 10 years ago, UA doing SLE to SEA and/or SFO with EMB-120’s. If they would have made money, they would have flown it. And do you really believe airlines want to take passengers away from PDX, and pay to open a new, highly marginal station? It is just too close to PDX. And please, don’t try to compare SLE to PAE. Not even close to the same situation. Especially don’t see any movement to SLE as fuel prices continue to rise.

pdxav8r

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:17 am

FA9295 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

If Alaska were to add any routes from PDX that are already served, I would choose Dulles/IAD, as well as Houston/IAH. There's only one daily IAD flight to/from PDX on United. That would likely be a red-eye flight to IAD, and a mid-morning arrival back at PDX. United's Houston/IAH flights are almost always >90-95% full, and the competition against United would be very nice to see. This one, however, I could easily see as a mid-morning departure to IAH, and an early-evening arrival back at PDX.

I can see IAH as a possibility, IAD not so much. With AS going to DCA year round, and BWI seasonally, they probably feel the DC area is covered for what they can get from the PDX market, or else they would fly at least BWI year round. IAD is a UA hub that even skips a month or so during the year, so off season, it isn’t even strong enough with a large hub on the other end (for UA). MSP on AS can’t compete wit DL on the many flights and seats it throws to PDX. Using smaller aircraft probably works best for AS on some flights like this, as it relies almost solely on O&D, whereas DL, UA, and others have connecting opportunities to these cities. AS knows what it is doing, and is trying to give PDX fliers the options, but always keep in mind that in the short to mid term, AS will do what it needs to, to keep its fortresses at SEA and now SFO from being overrun. I’m hopefull PDX will continue to see additional service from AS in the future, just maybe not in the short term.

mtnwest1979

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:52 pm

FA9295 wrote:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Or more likely 1 Contour/CFM E-135 doing one r/t to SEA, OAK, and DEN and call it a day. I wouldn't hold your breath for any SLE flights by then.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

PDX757

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:25 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Or more likely 1 Contour/CFM E-135 doing one r/t to SEA, OAK, and DEN and call it a day. I wouldn't hold your breath for any SLE flights by then.

To be fair, SLE hasn’t really had a fair shake since QX cut service 25 years ago. DL began service during the recession, Seaport wasn’t exactly renowned as a very good or reliable operator, and then a no name airline with zero connectivity had grand ideas in 2015.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all to believe UA or DL could make something work a couple times a day to a large proximal hub. Keeping the service around with indefinite subsidies is a terrible idea, but I would certainly understand using them to help mitigate risk to airlines.

FA9295

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:52 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Love your enthusiasm, but not your vision of reality. I would love to see commercial service return to SLE. But the blowhards in the attached article aren’t grounded. First off, fares from SLE will always end up much higher than from PDX. Most Salem travelers will commute to PDX via car or the shuttle to save what always is a big difference in airfare. Salem isn’t some wealthy community, and most willing to pay the higher fares work in government. That situation hasn’t kept service the many times attempted once the free money went away. Salem is growing, but it isn’t ‘booming’ by any stretch. I would have envisioned 10 years ago, UA doing SLE to SEA and/or SFO with EMB-120’s. If they would have made money, they would have flown it. And do you really believe airlines want to take passengers away from PDX, and pay to open a new, highly marginal station? It is just too close to PDX. And please, don’t try to compare SLE to PAE. Not even close to the same situation. Especially don’t see any movement to SLE as fuel prices continue to rise.

Oh, in no way at all am I saying that these are likely to happen, I'm just saying that if everything goes right which isn't likely to happen anyway, then this could be the very most that we could see at SLE as far out as 10 years from now...

m0ssy

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:02 pm

FA9295 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Oh, in no way at all am I saying that these are likely to happen, I'm just saying that if everything goes right which isn't likely to happen anyway, then this could be the very most that we could see at SLE as far out as 10 years from now...

With PDX to the north, and EUG to the south, I'd wonder how an airline would be successful at SLE.
Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

Wingtips56

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Alaska - SEA
Allegiant - LAS, SAN(?)
American - LAX, PHX
Delta - SLC

Contour wouldn't likely consider SLE (or anywhere else) without a subsidy. (They are doing quite will here in CEC, filling PenAir's void, sort of.) If LF did want to do something with the CEC-OAK-CEC plane that sits all day in OAK, I don't see OAK-SLE being their choice of an at-risk market.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

jsta1981

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I can see IAH as a possibility, IAD not so much. With AS going to DCA year round, and BWI seasonally, they probably feel the DC area is covered for what they can get from the PDX market, or else they would fly at least BWI year round. IAD is a UA hub that even skips a month or so during the year, so off season, it isn’t even strong enough with a large hub on the other end (for UA). MSP on AS can’t compete wit DL on the many flights and seats it throws to PDX. Using smaller aircraft probably works best for AS on some flights like this, as it relies almost solely on O&D, whereas DL, UA, and others have connecting opportunities to these cities. AS knows what it is doing, and is trying to give PDX fliers the options, but always keep in mind that in the short to mid term, AS will do what it needs to, to keep its fortresses at SEA and now SFO from being overrun. I’m hopefull PDX will continue to see additional service from AS in the future, just maybe not in the short term.

I agree that PDX seems pretty well connected to the DC area. United and Alaska get much of year around business traffic to DC. And the Baltimore flights get the summer vacationers. Not really sure PDX could handle another flight to the DC area unless it was to Reagan. Heck...United can't even fly year round to Dulles profitably...hence why they take January and February off.
Houston seems like a great e175 flight on Alaska...not sure if it could make the distance though, although I suppose they used to fly one to Austin which is pretty much the same distance to Houston.
Not a whole lot of business ties between PDX and Houston. Seems like enough o & d to make a e175 work...but maybe not since Alaska hasn't started it. Southwest attempted a year round flight to Houston from PDX but couldn't make it work.

flyoregon

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:13 am

m0ssy wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

With PDX to the north, and EUG to the south, I'd wonder how an airline would be successful at SLE.

I think Allegiant would do fine in Salem even with EUG to the south and PDX to the north. Allegiant makes it work out of Ogden and Provo, Utah with SLC only 30 miles south of Ogden and 40 miles north of Provo. I could see SLE-LAS, OAK, or LAX

kwbl

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:24 am

I agree that SLE has never had real fair shake with regard to air service. Flights to PDX never have and never will work. SLC was ok but fairly low O&D compared to LA,SFO, SEA and DEN. Delta did OK when fares were reasonable (I took several flights from SLE that were mostly or completely full)but they had a period where they were extremely uncompetitive (the mayor of Salem at the time actually met with Delta regarding exorbitant air fare).. By the time they got back to reason, the recession hit and fuel prices were high. Circumstances are different now and I think service has a better chance of being successful. I think the article overstates the number of passengers in each market but there is more than enough potential passengers if fares and destinations are within reason. SLE has never had NS service to its top markets. QX to SEA and/or UA to SFO and DEN would be the most likely to be successful. They would need a good marketing campaign and a good schedule to get people to switch from PDX. I now live in California and commute once a month to Salem and I'd be willing to connect in SEA to avoid the TSA and drive to PDX - even if it a bit higher.

jbpdx

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 am

Cathay Pacific Cargo flight CX3295 en route to PDX from JFK.

jbpdx

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Chances for nonstop PDX-HKG on Cathay Pacific just got a boost with the announcement that Delta is dropping SEA-HKG. CX/Oneworld would have the only nonstop out of the US Pacific Northwest and would have connecting feed from Alaska and American. The SEA flight ends in October so maybe we’ll hear something soon. Meanwhile, CX cargo traffic out of PDX continues to grow with CX 747s coming in from LAX, ORD and now JFK.

jsta1981

Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:44 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Chances for nonstop PDX-HKG on Cathay Pacific just got a boost with the announcement that Delta is dropping SEA-HKG. CX/Oneworld would have the only nonstop out of the US Pacific Northwest and would have connecting feed from Alaska and American. The SEA flight ends in October so maybe we’ll hear something soon. Meanwhile, CX cargo traffic out of PDX continues to grow with CX 747s coming in from LAX, ORD and now JFK.

Not happening anytime soon. But it's fun to think of the possibilities.

lhpdx

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 pm

jbpdx wrote:

"When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you"....Walt Disney's

TransWorldOne

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:31 pm

jbpdx wrote:

Your optimism is inspiring, if not naive.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos