Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jsta1981

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:41 pm

Chugach wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
* 66% leisure traffic just proves the lack of a business-oriented market that PDX is. Hopefully this will improve in the future.

Without more nonstops especially to key unserved cities east of the Mississippi it’s doubtful. Business travelers don’t like having to take 6-8 hour domestic trips with connections: board twice, deplane twice, and possibly miss a connection and be stranded in an airport because of bad weather or mechanical problems. (Hello Nashville, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa, et al.)

For having such a high percentage of leisure travelers it’s odd that Frontier and Spirit have practically no presence at PDX.

As a frequent business traveler (75K on Alaska, probably will also hit silver on UA this year), I can say this pretty much isn’t true. If you have to travel for business, you have to travel for business. Nonstops are fantastic and I use them whenever I can (the only reason I am close to status on UA is because I go to Houston a lot, and UA flies PDX-IAH nonstop), but if I have to go to Nashville or wherever else that isn’t served nonstop, I still have to go.

The reason PDX is so oriented toward leisure traffic is because Oregon is, for the most part, a small employer state and smaller employers don’t typically have a lot of business travel needs. All the hipsters that have shown up in Portland don’t do much for filling a premium cabin on an airplane. A huge reason Seattle has so much more service than Portland does, aside from the population disparity, is the makeup of employers compared to Portland. Seattle is dominated by larger employers (in large part because WA is much more business friendly than OR is, but that’s another discussion), and Portland isn’t. But Portland and Oregon are continuing to grow, and the air service levels are night and day compared to what they were a decade ago, which is a good thing (not just at PDX, but EUG, MFR, and RDM have all grown significantly, too)

What you say is very correct....however there are members of this forum who may not like what you just said....lol

FA9295

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:07 pm

jsta1981 wrote:
Chugach wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Without more nonstops especially to key unserved cities east of the Mississippi it’s doubtful. Business travelers don’t like having to take 6-8 hour domestic trips with connections: board twice, deplane twice, and possibly miss a connection and be stranded in an airport because of bad weather or mechanical problems. (Hello Nashville, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Tampa, et al.)

For having such a high percentage of leisure travelers it’s odd that Frontier and Spirit have practically no presence at PDX.

As a frequent business traveler (75K on Alaska, probably will also hit silver on UA this year), I can say this pretty much isn’t true. If you have to travel for business, you have to travel for business. Nonstops are fantastic and I use them whenever I can (the only reason I am close to status on UA is because I go to Houston a lot, and UA flies PDX-IAH nonstop), but if I have to go to Nashville or wherever else that isn’t served nonstop, I still have to go.

The reason PDX is so oriented toward leisure traffic is because Oregon is, for the most part, a small employer state and smaller employers don’t typically have a lot of business travel needs. All the hipsters that have shown up in Portland don’t do much for filling a premium cabin on an airplane. A huge reason Seattle has so much more service than Portland does, aside from the population disparity, is the makeup of employers compared to Portland. Seattle is dominated by larger employers (in large part because WA is much more business friendly than OR is, but that’s another discussion), and Portland isn’t. But Portland and Oregon are continuing to grow, and the air service levels are night and day compared to what they were a decade ago, which is a good thing (not just at PDX, but EUG, MFR, and RDM have all grown significantly, too)

What you say is very correct....however there are members of this forum who may not like what you just said....lol

Could you please just stop complaining about other people in the forum. Your last four posts here have just been bashing on other people's opinions and thoughts. Saying "there are members of this forum who may not like what you just said", among other things that you've already said provides absolutely nothing productive to the discussion at all.

pdxav8r

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:22 am

lhpdx wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
Anyone have an update on when the E-concourse extension and gate swap is slated to be completed?

https://www.aci-na.org/sites/default/fi ... es-pdx.pdf

Thanks a lot to you and 'BA' for the info! Didn't know if it was on time, or delayed, like so many airport projects.

Saw earlier in the thread that UA was going to be using E 1-5, however looking at todays gate assignments, they are only using E 1-4. Is E-5 closed as part of the construction? Are any of the E-gates going to be CUTE gates? With WN in the mid-forties in daily departures, and UA around 20 (or less in the low season), you would think WN needs more than 6 gates. UA really needs 5 gates?

PDXPOL

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 am

pdxav8r wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
Anyone have an update on when the E-concourse extension and gate swap is slated to be completed?

Thanks a lot to you and 'BA' for the info! Didn't know if it was on time, or delayed, like so many airport projects.

Saw earlier in the thread that UA was going to be using E 1-5, however looking at todays gate assignments, they are only using E 1-4. Is E-5 closed as part of the construction? Are any of the E-gates going to be CUTE gates? With WN in the mid-forties in daily departures, and UA around 20 (or less in the low season), you would think WN needs more than 6 gates. UA really needs 5 gates?

WN is getting all 6 gates in the new addition. WN has currently increased their lease of gates up to 6. They have C12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18 under their control. The lease will carry over to the 6 new gates.

RWA380

Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:50 am

SANFan wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
Thanks for doing the OAG listing for Oregon. I caught one you missed, it's hard to see well in the G4 listings for some reason:
G4 LAX-MFR MAR 0>0.4[0.5] APR 0>0.3[0.4

Hey there B. Hope all is well with you up there in beautiful Portland. I, as usual, always enjoy reading your posts on this, and other threads.

Do you have any info on the announced SAN-EUG service from G4? The service was to begin in mid-May and I have no idea if it did or not; there is no service on the route now, and the G4 route map does not show the market served at all, seasonally or not. I just don't know if it's a thing or not!

It's a full time job for me to just try to keep track of G4 and F9 routes from SAN at any given time.... (Personally, hardly worth the effort.)

Appreciate any info you might have on this issue.

Keep 'em flying!

bb

Hey B, things are just great up here, lots of interesting things are moving at PDX & I can't help but think there is more on the way. As for G4 & a EUG-SAN route, I can say I honestly know nothing about said route, sorry! I wish I did, because even when I went to school there, a fair chunk of the kids were from California & then they only had UA 73S to SFO. I can remember flying home to Portland for Christmas on AA, it was a 727-100 each way & was $20 a direction. I will ask my friends in Eugene to see if they have seen any local advertising & reply back on PM.

I hope you are well my friend & enjoying the warmth of the love AAG has shown SAN & will hopefully do again soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see SAN-JFK in the future. AS has some real interest in keeping their JFK station busy & making a lasting impression in SAN. B.

FA9295

Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:55 pm

FI665 KEF-PDX diverted back to KEF and now the flight has been cancelled: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KPDX

Couldn't find a reason for the diversion and subsequent cancellation, but I would guess that it's a tech issue.

BlatantEcho

Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 am

Transmitting AMS after another PDX-AMS flight.
Man, it’s easy. Love the non stops.

FA9295

Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:18 pm

OAG 9/2/2018:

AS PDX-FAT JAN 1.2>2[1.0] FEB 1.0>2[1.0] MAR 1.0>1.3[1.0]
AS PDX-SEA JAN 25>23[24] FEB 26>23[23]
AS PDX-STS JAN 1.8>1.0[1.0] FEB 2>1.0[1.0]
AS RDM-SEA FEB 5>6[5]
AS MFR-SEA JAN 4>3[3] FEB 4>3[3]

SY MSP-PDX JAN 0.2>0.4[0.2] FEB 0>0.3[0]

WN BUR-PDX MAR 0.2>0.8[0.9] JUN 0>0.8[1.0]
WN LAX-PDX MAR 0.3>2[1.6] APR 0>2[1.9] MAY 0>2[1.9] JUN 0>2[1.8]
WN MCI-PDX MAR 0.1>0.8[0.8] APR 0>0.9[1.0] MAY 0>0.9[1.0] JUN 0>0.8[1.0]
WN MDW-PDX MAR 0.2>1.5[1.7] JUN 0>1.7[3]
WN PHX-PDX MAR 0.6>3[3] JUN 0>3[4]
WN SJC-PDX MAR 1.2>6[4] APR 0>7[5] MAY 0>7[5] JUN 0>6[5]

flyfresno

Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 pm

FA9295 wrote:
OAG 9/2/2018:

AS PDX-FAT JAN 1.2>2[1.0] FEB 1.0>2[1.0] MAR 1.0>1.3[1.0]

WN BUR-PDX MAR 0.2>0.8[0.9] JUN 0>0.8[1.0]
WN LAX-PDX MAR 0.3>2[1.6] APR 0>2[1.9] MAY 0>2[1.9] JUN 0>2[1.8]

WN SJC-PDX MAR 1.2>6[4] APR 0>7[5] MAY 0>7[5] JUN 0>6[5]

1) Times look a bit better PDX-FAT, but FAT-PDX are both a couple hours apart. Maybe AS has discovered that there’s very few people who fly between Fresno and Portland (either direction) for the day for business, but this schedule makes that almost impossible without connecting.

2) Sueprised that these are all the frequencies WN can manage between BUR/LAX and PDX. Even with all the competition.

3) Nice add to/from the Bay!

jbpdx

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:14 pm

After earlier announcing they’d run more flights per week this fall until the usual suspension date in early January, Icelandair is stopping service from PDX in October instead. They’ve also reduced the number of flights a week when they resume in March. Sounds like they’re on the way out. Wonder what’s up? Their fares are higher this year than last.

toobz

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:45 pm

Ah I was wondering about FI. My mom and bf were booked on them out of PDX on 12/07. They got a call a couple days ago advising the flight wasn’t available anymore and were being routed through SEA.

jbpdx

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:58 pm

toobz wrote:
Ah I was wondering about FI. My mom and bf were booked on them out of PDX on 12/07. They got a call a couple days ago advising the flight wasn’t available anymore and were being routed through SEA.

Condor’s numbers at PDX have been going up—looks like at Icelandair’s expense. But they also suspend at the end of October. Maybe they should extend their season. Norwegian two days a week year round to Paris would be a better sell for a low-cost option to Europe. Good luck getting the laissez-faire PoP to pull that off.

flyoregon

Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:37 pm

jbpdx wrote:
After earlier announcing they’d run more flights per week this fall until the usual suspension date in early January, Icelandair is stopping service from PDX in October instead. They’ve also reduced the number of flights a week when they resume in March. Sounds like they’re on the way out. Wonder what’s up? Their fares are higher this year than last.

They were marketing that flight like crazy just a couple of years ago now I never see anything for them. I flew them last Sunday PDX-KEF-GLA and the flight was full in the back, and Saga Class only had 8 seats filled. Only anecdotal of course, but their numbers have seemed strong. I think it’s nothing more than a seasonal adjustment instead of over doing it. They’re not “on the way out.”

metaldirtnskin

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:09 pm

FA9295 wrote:

In the NCAA thread someone stated that the WN flight was a fan charter and the AS flights to CMH were Oregon State @ Ohio State... not sure about the CAK ones?

I believe Bowling Green @ Oregon was Sun Country (Bowling Green is near Toledo):
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX ... /KTOL/KEUG
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX ... /KEUG/KTOL

Chugach

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 am

metaldirtnskin wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

In the NCAA thread someone stated that the WN flight was a fan charter and the AS flights to CMH were Oregon State @ Ohio State... not sure about the CAK ones?

I believe Bowling Green @ Oregon was Sun Country (Bowling Green is near Toledo):
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX ... /KTOL/KEUG
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX ... /KEUG/KTOL

The Beavs probably overnighted somewhere near CAK and bussed to Columbus the day of the game. It’s pretty common practice in college football when the game is in a smaller town...fewer distractions. Not unheard of for teams visiting UO/OSU to fly to PDX and back from EUG. Likewise for WSU...most teams fly to GEG and back from PUW.

AS737MAX

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:36 am

Drove past PDX today on Marine Drive and there are only 4 jetways on E, so it appears that E5 was just removed to make way for the expansion.

pdxav8r wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

Airnerd

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:10 am

flyoregon wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

They were marketing that flight like crazy just a couple of years ago now I never see anything for them. I flew them last Sunday PDX-KEF-GLA and the flight was full in the back, and Saga Class only had 8 seats filled. Only anecdotal of course, but their numbers have seemed strong. I think it’s nothing more than a seasonal adjustment instead of over doing it. They’re not “on the way out.”

I flew PDX-KEF-AMS and ZRH-KEF-PDX in late July. Loads didn't look that strong to me on any of the legs. Prices were pretty high, but still, I'd expect that time of year to be as busy as it gets.

flyoregon

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am

Airnerd wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I flew PDX-KEF-AMS and ZRH-KEF-PDX in late July. Loads didn't look that strong to me on any of the legs. Prices were pretty high, but still, I'd expect that time of year to be as busy as it gets.

KEF-AMS and ZRH-AMS seemed weak as well or do you mean just the PDX portions of the trip? I’d flown through KEF several times before but this last time was a nightmare. I know that it’s commonly observed but that airport is not built for the amount of passengers it takes in. It’s a terrible connecting airport, and with the high prices, maybe people are flocking elsewhere. I do think the Iceland obsession is starting to die off a little so that might have something to do with it. FI use to be the best option for me to connect to Europe, but for many others, with Icelandair competing with WOW, and in small cases Delta, American, and United from the US, there’s many other choices. I know people from Portland who flew to Iceland on Delta via JFK rather than take the direct flight on FI!

Airnerd

Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:37 am

flyoregon wrote:
Airnerd wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

KEF-AMS and ZRH-AMS seemed weak as well or do you mean just the PDX portions of the trip? I’d flown through KEF several times before but this last time was a nightmare. I know that it’s commonly observed but that airport is not built for the amount of passengers it takes in. It’s a terrible connecting airport, and with the high prices, maybe people are flocking elsewhere. I do think the Iceland obsession is starting to die off a little so that might have something to do with it. FI use to be the best option for me to connect to Europe, but for many others, with Icelandair competing with WOW, and in small cases Delta, American, and United from the US, there’s many other choices. I know people from Portland who flew to Iceland on Delta via JFK rather than take the direct flight on FI!

All four legs seemed pretty weak. KEF isn't ideal for connecting as it gets crowded during the peaks, but I don't think it's that bad, and many of the connections are pretty quick so who cares? The overall travel times from PDX on FI are generally still very competitive to almost anywhere in Europe, the obvious exception being FRA, LHR, and AMS where there are non stops available.

pdxav8r

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 am

AS737MAX wrote:
Drove past PDX today on Marine Drive and there are only 4 jetways on E, so it appears that E5 was just removed to make way for the expansion.

pdxav8r wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Hey, thanks a lot! Kinda figured. Appreciate the update.

FA9295

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 am

Was recently messing around with the U.S. General Services Administration website, and came across this: https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearch/m ... arch+FY+18

Apparently last year, Alaska was awarded a contract for government employees on nonstop PDX-SAT route, but they never took advantage of starting the route. The contract ends on September 30th, and on October 1st, American takes over with a connecting itinerary instead: https://cpsearch.fas.gsa.gov/cpsearch/m ... arch+FY+19

Obviously in terms of new routes, these GSA contracts are pretty much meaningless, and are only used as a pricing point for governments to use for transporting their employees around the country. There would need to be a purpose for government employees to travel between Portland and San Antonio on a frequent basis, and there would also need to be sufficient demand other than government employees to travel between the two cities as well. With that being said, in the future, I think this would be a perfect Embraer E175 route.

pdxav8r

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:42 am

HA must be having more ‘teething’ issues with the A321. The HNL route has been mostly A332 for the last month. Either that, or where they were planning on putting the plane, is on hold/not yet approved. Seems odd. Bookings higher than anticipated?

WolfPDX

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:56 am

pdxav8r wrote:
HA must be having more ‘teething’ issues with the A321. The HNL route has been mostly A332 for the last month. Either that or where they were planning on putting the plane, is on hold/not yet approved. Seems odd. Bookings higher than anticipated?

I know N204ha had a tail strike and has been in lax for repairs. So I would guess they just don't have enough 321s to go around.

pdxav8r

Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:16 am

WolfPDX wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
HA must be having more ‘teething’ issues with the A321. The HNL route has been mostly A332 for the last month. Either that or where they were planning on putting the plane, is on hold/not yet approved. Seems odd. Bookings higher than anticipated?

I know N204ha had a tail strike and has been in lax for repairs. So I would guess they just don't have enough 321s to go around.

Ouch. Probably moved a 717 driver over to the much longer A321! Kidding aside, not good, and the type already had its issues, this doesn’t help. Thanks for the info.

FA9295

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 am

pdxav8r wrote:
WolfPDX wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

Ouch. Probably moved a 717 driver over to the much longer A321! Kidding aside, not good, and the type already had its issues, this doesn’t help. Thanks for the info.

The route is currently scheduled to be converted back to the A321 on September 20th, so maybe they're just filling up some extra seats with "last vacation of the summer" types of trips... ;)

Granted, I know that the late A321 engine issues and subsequent late deliveries have been very problematic for them, though.

BlatantEcho

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:29 am

Looks like the Icelandair flight is being retimed by a lot - AND the RON of the airplane is now ending:

Reykjavik Keflavik – Portland OR eff 16MAY19 Schedule revision for Portland departure, as 757-200 no longer overnight in Portland OR. Planned up to 6 weekly flights during peak season unchanged
FI665 KEF1715 – 1815PDX 75W x7
FI662 PDX1920 – 0950+1KEF 75W x7

So, leaving PDX at 7pm and getting in at 10am... Better to sleep on it, and hits their new second bank of departures to Europe.
Gets you into Europe ~3 hours or so later than before, but imagine not a huge deal.
If it helps them increase utilization and decongest the airport... that’s a win.

Source:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06sep18/

pdxswa

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 pm

Having had a bird strike the previous night on arrival to Pdx from OGG. Kukui sits at SE cargo at dusk. Awaiting repairs so it can leave Pdx.

jbpdx

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:38 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
Looks like the Icelandair flight is being retimed by a lot - AND the RON of the airplane is now ending:

Reykjavik Keflavik – Portland OR eff 16MAY19 Schedule revision for Portland departure, as 757-200 no longer overnight in Portland OR. Planned up to 6 weekly flights during peak season unchanged

So, leaving PDX at 7pm and getting in at 10am... Better to sleep on it, and hits their new second bank of departures to Europe.
Gets you into Europe ~3 hours or so later than before, but imagine not a huge deal.
If it helps them increase utilization and decongest the airport... that’s a win.

Source:

No connections to London, Dublin, Glasgow, probably the top connecting destinations from PDX thru KEF. Likely just enough to be fatal to Icelandair at PDX. Plus their season was cut short this year to the end of October instead of mid-January. Their passenger count was down 9% in July compared with July 2017. Condor was up 6.2%.

jbpdx

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:22 pm

PR article in Air Cargo World.

Cathay Pacific Cargo sees high return
on PDX-HKG connection

http://aircargoworld.com/allposts/catha ... onnection/

• “Between January and April 2018, the peak season for perishable cargo, Cathay Pacific experienced a 30 percent increase in tonnage through Portland, outpacing nearly all other cities in North America.”

• “Portland is one of the fastest-growing hubs for e-commerce shipments – Oregon is a sales tax-free state – making it an easy choice for companies large and small to ship overseas from Portland International Airport (PDX).”

Now if they’d only show interest in PDX passengers.

pdxswa

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm

FYI Prime Air 767 service is returning to PDX next Wednesday 9/12/18.

lhpdx

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up!!

jbpdx

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 am

Starting 1 October Delta is using a 767 on one of its ATL-PDX-ATL runs. Looks like it continues into spring.

BlatantEcho

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:22 pm

The OAG thread also had more than daily service from Icelandair in June 2019. Like 9-10x weekly.

They arare changing schedules a lot, so my guess is it’s just an error, but, would be interesting if we got 2x KEF flights some days in summer next year.

jbpdx

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:07 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
The OAG thread also had more than daily service from Icelandair in June 2019. Like 9-10x weekly.

They arare changing schedules a lot, so my guess is it’s just an error, but, would be interesting if we got 2x KEF flights some days in summer next year.

The Icelandair PR wasn’t clear about what they’re doing at PDX. It sounded like they were only changing the times, and the Routesonline blurb said “6 weekly flights during peak season unchanged.” FlightView shows 2 flights a day on many days in summer with one of them being at the current sked time, which allows connections to LHR. For example, the week of 16 July there are two flights a day on Tues, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, for a total of 12 flights a week (1x/day on Sun, Mon.) Will they be able to fill two planes a day?

AS737MAX

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm booked on FI PDX-KEF-CDG next June, and as soon as I saw the schedule change, I checked my reservation to see if it had been updated. It still shows the old/current timing (Depart 3:35pm, Arrive 6:05am+1). When you search their schedule via the link at the bottom of their site, it does show 2x daily PDX-KEF, FI662 and FI664, one on the old timing, and the other on the new timing, so presumably the old timing is yet to be pulled because only the new timing is bookable.

BlatantEcho wrote:

jbpdx

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:47 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
I'm booked on FI PDX-KEF-CDG next June, and as soon as I saw the schedule change, I checked my reservation to see if it had been updated. It still shows the old/current timing (Depart 3:35pm, Arrive 6:05am+1). When you search their schedule via the link at the bottom of their site, it does show 2x daily PDX-KEF, FI662 and FI664, one on the old timing, and the other on the new timing, so presumably the old timing is yet to be pulled because only the new timing is bookable.

If that’s the case, with no connections to LHR, DUB or GLA, then this will most likely fail. LF was already down 9% in July compared with July 2017. (repeating)

pnwpdx

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:34 am

Today's Delta AMS-PDX flight was delayed a few hours:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL179

Delta flew in a backup A333 from ATL
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9944

Must have been a busy scene at Customs and Immigration as the flight from Heathrow arrived about 30 minutes earlier.

Flying back to ATL, https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9945

RWA380

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:55 am

pnwpdx wrote:

Must have been a busy scene at Customs and Immigration as the flight from Heathrow arrived about 30 minutes earlier.

Think how much worse it was when DL had up to 5 International MD-11's coming in from Asia going through that rather small FIS facility at PDX - NRT, NGO, SEL, TPE & FUK.

lhpdx

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:18 pm

pdxswa wrote:

Does anyone have more information about this new cargo service that's supposed to commence today according to pdxsw?

lhpdx

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 pm

RWA380 wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

Think how much worse it was when DL had up to 5 International MD-11's coming in from Asia going through that rather small FIS facility at PDX - NRT, NGO, SEL, TPE & FUK.

I remember seeing all of those DL tails from the old spotting area on Marine drive back in the 90's..It was truly an impressive sight for such a small airport....Those were definitely the glory days of aviation at PDX..............

WolfPDX

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm

lhpdx wrote:
pdxswa wrote:

Does anyone have more information about this new cargo service that's supposed to commence today according to pdxsw?

Its Prime Air. Amazon did it last year as well but decided that there wasn't enough volume to keep it year round and axed it not too long after peak ended. It will be operated by Atlas Air to start and will most likely go back to ATI when peak starts to get close. As Atlas wants their pilots for their own charters. It will be done with Amazon's 763s for the most part with a very slim chance of a 762 or a ATI/atlas livery 763.

lhpdx

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:46 pm

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GTI3159

Looks like Amazon via Atlas air is on it's way to PDX around 5:20pm..................

Chugach

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:59 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Those were definitely the glory days of aviation at PDX...

On the contrary, I’d argue we are witnessing the golden days at PDX. AS alone has, by my unscientific count, 32 new nonstop destinations from PDX since the mid-90’s. We lost the Asia hub for DL (which frankly would have happened anyway once longer-range aircraft came online), but we’ve gained four Euro destinations and four Mexican destinations, plus YYZ and YYC. We’ve lost some of the regional connectivity to places like PDT, OTH, and LMT but have turned into a destination that has more of a national focus. DL has held its own at PDX, and continue to operate three inter-continental flights from Portland. WN has expanded at PDX since those days, too.

I think PDX is as good as its ever been. Just my $0.02.

TransWorldOne

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 pm

Chugach wrote:
lhpdx wrote:
Those were definitely the glory days of aviation at PDX...

On the contrary, I’d argue we are witnessing the golden days at PDX. AS alone has, by my unscientific count, 32 new nonstop destinations from PDX since the mid-90’s. We lost the Asia hub for DL (which frankly would have happened anyway once longer-range aircraft came online), but we’ve gained four Euro destinations and four Mexican destinations, plus YYZ and YYC. We’ve lost some of the regional connectivity to places like PDT, OTH, and LMT but have turned into a destination that has more of a national focus. DL has held its own at PDX, and continue to operate three inter-continental flights from Portland. WN has expanded at PDX since those days, too.

I think PDX is as good as its ever been. Just my $0.02.

:checkmark:

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be." -Marcel Pagnol

RWA380

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 pm

lhpdx wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
pnwpdx wrote:

I remember seeing all of those DL tails from the old spotting area on Marine drive back in the 90's..It was truly an impressive sight for such a small airport....Those were definitely the glory days of aviation at PDX..............

I too enjoyed spotting on Marine drive by the roach coach or the next lot to the west, watching the long stream of MD-11's, L-1011's, 767's, 757's, 72S's, 73S's was pretty cool, even the skywest CR2's that operated BOI & SFO for DL during the asia hub days. For that time, it was truly impressive to have that heavy metal all congregating during that mid-day rush.

I got to fly a couple of domestic legs in International Business like PDX-ATL & PDX-CVG, Once SLC-PDX in Businessfirst, because of our PDX hub. I hope the glory days are ahead of us, but I know what you mean.

lhpdx

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:28 pm

I actually agree with Chugach 100%..I was just feeling a little nostalgic about the days when there was a designated area for plane-spotting off of marine drive next to the concession truck and seeing all of that DL MD-11 parked at the end of CC-D......

jbpdx

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:22 am

flyoregon

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:32 am

jbpdx wrote:

What's your point?

N174UA

Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:35 am

jbpdx wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

Source:

No connections to London, Dublin, Glasgow, probably the top connecting destinations from PDX thru KEF. Likely just enough to be fatal to Icelandair at PDX. Plus their season was cut short this year to the end of October instead of mid-January. Their passenger count was down 9% in July compared with July 2017. Condor was up 6.2%.

Interesting...sounds like PDX pax are steering away from the layover/connection in KEF and opting instead for the available non-stops to Europe.

This is the second year for DL's PDX-LHR, and with with service to AMS, and Condor to FRA, it seems like the market is becoming clearer for what works and what doesn't. DL has a strong enough customer base in PDX as well.

A year or so from now, I would expect to see PDX-LHR year round, with a 4x weekly during the peak season, and 2x or 3x weekly during the off-season.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos