Dreamflight767

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:05 am

MFR spotters! VDA1209 shows en route from PAE.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VDA1209

PDXPOL

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:49 am

jbpdx wrote:
No numbers from PDX for September. I don’t remember it ever being this late for a monthly release.

Yea, I am not sure why they are not out either. I was able to take a sneak peek, which should be released soon. It looks like Septembers 2018 numbers for passenger counts are, 1,641,939. A little better than 2017 at 1,580,287 passengers. Small increase but still a year over year increase.

jbpdx

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:58 am

PDXPOL wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
No numbers from PDX for September. I don’t remember it ever being this late for a monthly release.

Yea, I am not sure why they are not out either. I was able to take a sneak peek, which should be released soon. It looks like Septembers 2018 numbers for passenger counts are, 1,641,939. A little better than 2017 at 1,580,287 passengers. Small increase but still a year over year increase.

I’ll have a scathing review of/for the PoP with a :cc to Gov. Brown soon.
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

FA9295

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:

I saw one of these at PDX about six months ago. Apparently they needed to park the plane for a few days, and I guess parking at PDX is cheaper than at PAE.
I wonder if this is a similar situation at MFR (since that flight also came from PAE).

FA9295

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:23 am

In other news today, Sun Country started PDX-LAS and PDX-PSP today. PDX-HNL/PHX start on November 14th, and PDX-SFO starts on November 16th.

BlatantEcho

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:15 pm

I know we talk about long hauls a lot.... but, someone must have insight into if PDX-ICN will happen in 2019?
It's getting late for Delta to announce it if so...

They really have one step left to finish drawing down the NRT mini-hub... so, when will this flight switch?
or, is there *really* enough O&D demand PDX-TYO to make it work??

Anyway, trying to plan some interior Asia trips, and I sure want to do PDX-ICN-XXX than PDX-SEA-ICN-XXX or whatever.
Someone has to know something??

FA9295

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
I know we talk about long hauls a lot.... but, someone must have insight into if PDX-ICN will happen in 2019?

They really have one step left to finish drawing down the NRT mini-hub... so, when will this flight switch?

Anyway, trying to plan some interior Asia trips, and I sure want to do PDX-ICN-XXX than PDX-SEA-ICN-XXX or whatever.

My theory is this.

I don't have any inside information, bur someone on this thread did say that awhile back, the Port of Portland made a pitch to Delta for starting PDX-ICN. I'm guessing that these factors are contributing to why nothing's been announced yet.

1). Delta wants the Port of Portland to subsidize PDX-ICN, if it were to happen, but the Port of Portland does not give out financial incentives for any of their routes (at least not to my knowledge).

2). The Port of Portland does not want to lose its PDX-NRT flight, but Delta is unwilling to fly both PDX-NRT and PDX-ICN routes simultaneously.

3). If PDX-NRT was dropped for PDX-ICN, Delta is afraid that a Japanese carrier might start PDX-NRT, which would significantly hurt Delta's yields for any other Asia flight from PDX.

m0ssy

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Happy Friday everyone! The weather is ugly and I’m stuck at work. Miss the MD-80 at EUG, even if it was never on time.

Follow me on Instagram! @eug_spotter :airplane:

FA9295

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:45 pm

m0ssy wrote:
Happy Friday everyone! The weather is ugly and I’m stuck at work. Miss the MD-80 at EUG, even if it was never on time.

Thanks for your good pics from Eugene! Keep 'em coming! :D

I miss the MD-80s as well. The last ones to fly to/from PDX were on American to DFW (if I recall correctly), although Delta will occasionally send an MD-90 from MSP and/or SLC as well...

flyoregon

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 pm

FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

My theory is this.

I don't have any inside information, bur someone on this thread did say that awhile back, the Port of Portland made a pitch to Delta for starting PDX-ICN. I'm guessing that these factors are contributing to why nothing's been announced yet.

1). Delta wants the Port of Portland to subsidize PDX-ICN, if it were to happen, but the Port of Portland does not give out financial incentives for any of their routes (at least not to my knowledge).

2). The Port of Portland does not want to lose its PDX-NRT flight, but Delta is unwilling to fly both PDX-NRT and PDX-ICN routes simultaneously.

3). If PDX-NRT was dropped for PDX-ICN, Delta is afraid that a Japanese carrier might start PDX-NRT, which would significantly hurt Delta's yields for any other Asia flight from PDX.

Except when they gave $3.5 million. https://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2010/06/ports_gamble_on_delta_pays_off.html

RWA380

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:01 pm

m0ssy wrote:
Hello again from EUG with another low res shot from my phone.

Ducks inbound charter from SFO taxis to the cargo apron, with some company "practicing" the 34L approach.

FA9295 wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

I miss the MD-80s as well. The last ones to fly to/from PDX were on American to DFW (if I recall correctly), although Delta will occasionally send an MD-90 from MSP and/or SLC as well...

Thanks for the excellent quality pictures, these are fantastic. I miss living in Eugene & flying out of Mahlon Sweet, Last time I flew out of there was on an American 727-100 up to PDX. Keep them coming, I like seeing shots for all the airports ion our state. Some good ones were posted of OTH & I forgot to thank that contributor for the great photographs.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

m0ssy

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:57 pm

RWA380 wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

Ducks inbound charter from SFO taxis to the cargo apron, with some company "practicing" the 34L approach.

FA9295 wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

Thanks for the excellent quality pictures, these are fantastic. I miss living in Eugene & flying out of Mahlon Sweet, Last time I flew out of there was on an American 727-100 up to PDX. Keep them coming, I like seeing shots for all the airports ion our state. Some good ones were posted of OTH & I forgot to thank that contributor for the great photographs.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm a totally amateur with noob equipment (phone) with aspirations of actually getting good at some point. All I know is that I love being out there listening to tower and grabbing shots of what I can. My camera was stolen earlier in the year and I'm looking to get a new one early next year.

A 727 out of Eugene? I'm guessing that must have been awhile back!

metaldirtnskin

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:53 pm

m0ssy wrote:
Thanks for all the kind words. I'm a totally amateur with noob equipment (phone) with aspirations of actually getting good at some point. All I know is that I love being out there listening to tower and grabbing shots of what I can. My camera was stolen earlier in the year and I'm looking to get a new one early next year.

I agree, those are excellent shots. I am barely above noob status myself, photography-wise, but on my travels for work I capture interesting stuff now and again. I long ago gave up submitting any of it to a.net, though.

Anyway, nice to see other EUG folks on here. I still believe there's serious growth potential at our little airport.

RWA380

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:09 pm

m0ssy wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
m0ssy wrote:

FA9295 wrote:

1987, I had just finished up with my four year degree & decided to go into the airline industry instead, it appears you have an eye for lining up your shots & using the sunlight to your advantage. Keep em coming!
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

FA9295

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm

bigfoot0503

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:20 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

I saw one of these at PDX about six months ago. Apparently they needed to park the plane for a few days, and I guess parking at PDX is cheaper than at PAE.
I wonder if this is a similar situation at MFR (since that flight also came from PAE).

Apparently the Antonov An-124 (RA-82045) that was at Medford MFR recently departed en-route to South Korea with some Erickson Air Crane equipment. I don't have all the factual details but that is the extent of what I can obtain.

N174UA

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:49 pm

FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

My theory is this.

The PDX-NRT flight is there largely because of Nike, so whenever the contract runs out, that flight will likely be discontinued, especially as DL wants to wind down its operations at NRT. Only then would we see a carrier start PDX-ICN. The fact that DL doesn't want to operate PDX-NRT and PDX-ICN at the same time tells me the PDX-NRT flight isn't profitable enough, and the PDX-ICN flight would hurt the PDX-NRT flight. That being the case, DL wouldn't want to see KE start PDX-ICN, either.

The only likely Japanese carrier that would start NRT-PDX would be JL, given the alliance with AS. But since they are only just restarting SEA next year in a crowded market, I have a hard time believing JL would also start PDX. There isn't a strong enough Star Alliance network in PDX to support an NH flight, as NH already operates out of SEA, and UA routes PDX customers to SFO for Asian connections.

If I were DL, I would be more interested in trying to start a PDX-PVG flight, which also supports Nike, but even that flight wouldn't offer sufficient connections to other points in Asia.

PDX757

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:41 pm

N174UA wrote:
The only likely Japanese carrier that would start NRT-PDX would be JL, given the alliance with AS. But since they are only just restarting SEA next year in a crowded market, I have a hard time believing JL would also start PDX. There isn't a strong enough Star Alliance network in PDX to support an NH flight, as NH already operates out of SEA, and UA routes PDX customers to SFO for Asian connections

One would hope that if/when DL does axe PDX-NRT JL would see the advantage of switching from well served SEA to unserved PDX. The AS connections would still be there, plus a supposedly healthy enough O&D base to at least support a 787. Maybe I’m just being a homer, but don’t the PDX-SEA feeders work both ways? Ie if a passenger from Seattle needs to get to Japan or beyond and insists on JL, they can connect through PDX. Facility wise, PDX is superior and has a much better passenger experience than SEA. Couple that with no competition and a regional partner, should be a no brainer one would think.

pdxav8r

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:31 pm

N174UA wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

My theory is this.

The PDX-NRT flight is there largely because of Nike, so whenever the contract runs out, that flight will likely be discontinued, especially as DL wants to wind down its operations at NRT. Only then would we see a carrier start PDX-ICN. The fact that DL doesn't want to operate PDX-NRT and PDX-ICN at the same time tells me the PDX-NRT flight isn't profitable enough, and the PDX-ICN flight would hurt the PDX-NRT flight. That being the case, DL wouldn't want to see KE start PDX-ICN, either.

The only likely Japanese carrier that would start NRT-PDX would be JL, given the alliance with AS. But since they are only just restarting SEA next year in a crowded market, I have a hard time believing JL would also start PDX. There isn't a strong enough Star Alliance network in PDX to support an NH flight, as NH already operates out of SEA, and UA routes PDX customers to SFO for Asian connections.

If I were DL, I would be more interested in trying to start a PDX-PVG flight, which also supports Nike, but even that flight wouldn't offer sufficient connections to other points in Asia.

So, by that way of thinking, Nike won't need to send anyone to Tokyo at the time the contract ends...Geez, really? Think both parties aren't considering what happens at that time? This is a tired discussion. The flight doesn't just depend on 'Nike', and Nike will want a new contract in place once their current one is over. Tokyo and Japan are huge trade partners. The flight has way surpassed naysayers whom thought this was going to end long ago. Obviously, DL makes money, or they would have ended it long ago. Being the only N/S to Asia, they kind of have a happy monopoly. Maybe DL doesn't want to end it, with the lack of HND slots, and will play it out until it makes sense to move the flight there. Either way, PDX is too large a west coast city, with too many partners in Japan, to not have non-stop service. DL could have ceded the service, and connected everyone in SEA, like a ton of their connections. This isn't just one of them. That, and they aren't letting the loyal AS passengers make that distinction, to connect via SEA.

FA9295

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

Apparently the Antonov An-124 (RA-82045) that was at Medford MFR recently departed en-route to South Korea with some Erickson Air Crane equipment. I don't have all the factual details but that is the extent of what I can obtain.

That's interesting, because if it is indeed going to South Korea, it's taking the [very] long way around.
Per flightaware, the plane flew from Medford to Goose Bay, Canada and is now flying from there to Entebbe, Uganda. Goose Bay was likely just a fuel stop (although the plane was there for 10 hours; arrived there at 6 AM and departed to Uganda at 4 PM). I guess they're picking up more cargo in Uganda.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/RA8 ... /KMFR/CYYR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/RA8 ... /CYYR/HUEN

FA9295

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:51 am

pdxav8r wrote:
N174UA wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
My theory is this.

So, by that way of thinking, Nike won't need to send anyone to Tokyo at the time the contract ends...Geez, really? Think both parties aren't considering what happens at that time? This is a tired discussion. The flight doesn't just depend on 'Nike', and Nike will want a new contract in place once their current one is over. Tokyo and Japan are huge trade partners. The flight has way surpassed naysayers whom thought this was going to end long ago. Obviously, DL makes money, or they would have ended it long ago. Being the only N/S to Asia, they kind of have a happy monopoly. Maybe DL doesn't want to end it, with the lack of HND slots, and will play it out until it makes sense to move the flight there. Either way, PDX is too large a west coast city, with too many partners in Japan, to not have non-stop service. DL could have ceded the service, and connected everyone in SEA, like a ton of their connections. This isn't just one of them. That, and they aren't letting the loyal AS passengers make that distinction, to connect via SEA.

I agree. It's often a misconception on here that the PDX-NRT flight is solely supported by Nike. I'm sure Nike plays a fairly large role in the flight's success, but it's not entirely because of Nike. There are very strong ties between Portland and Tokyo in other than just business markets.

When JL announced NRT-SEA, they had talked about wanting to eventually move that flight to HND. Maybe once it's moved to HND, they'll add PDX-NRT next.

rosecityspotter

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:48 pm

m0ssy wrote:

Love that sky!!!

midway7

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Anyone have any updates on the new E gates. I see they are under construction and it was suggested that Southwest would be moving into them. I have been commuting on Southwest to MCI the past couple months. They are currently using seven gates in C, and park about 3 RON's on D, including one they look like they double park and tow over to C after the first departures clear their gates. Will there be enough space for them on E?

I am biased as I really like the amenities on Concourse C. Hate to see them move.

pdxswa

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Simply a great livery. Always a pleasure to see it and the other Neo here at PDX.

Wingtips56

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm

OK Medford folks: why is there a replica of The Oval Office upstairs in the MFR terminal, as part of the Administration offices? I had my TSA Pre-Check interview in there yesterday, and thought it a bit odd. While all the fittings, decor, furniture, etc. were all donated, and therefore I assume no additional expense to the Airport, Jackson County, et al, what's the point?

(By the way, TSA doesn't normally do these interviews in the area; it's just a two-week pop-up location at MFR. So if any of you have put off signing up for Pre-Check, now is your chance. Go to the TSA website and find Pre-Check enrollment. You need to fill out the application on line, and then appear in person at an interview with your Passport. You should make an appointment -through the website- but they will take walk-ins, though you could be waiting quite a while as a walk-in. I happened to be coming over from the Coast for a doctor appointment in Medford on that day and had accidentally stumbled into this option. Yay!)
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

lhpdx

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Looks like Amazon cargo has added a second flight a day linking PDX to BDL in addition to PDX to CVG..................Nice to see some cargo growth out of Portland...

ooslc

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:55 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Looks like Amazon cargo has added a second flight a day linking PDX to BDL in addition to PDX to CVG..................Nice to see some cargo growth out of Portland...

Interesting... I would have thought ABE or ONT would have been next for them, since they are bigger in those cities!
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

bigfoot0503

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:25 pm

lhpdx wrote:

I saw that as well. Although having only operated for a couple of days thus far I noted that one of the two Amazon cargo flights into PDX then went on to PHX Sky Harbor. Whether this add is for a seasonal adjustment for the holidays I suppose time will tell what new city pairs come about.

On another note it appears that UPS is keeping pretty consistent on their Friday SDF to PDX schedule with bringing in the B747. Today's flight (11-09) 5X2998 is inbound with a B747-8.

FA9295

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm

It looks like JetBlue's PDX-ANC/BOS flights are both back on. Not released into the main schedule yet, but if you go to their "jetblue vacations" website, and search for dates in late June/early July, nonstop flight options come up...

FA9295

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm

ooslc wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Interesting... I would have thought ABE or ONT would have been next for them, since they are bigger in those cities!

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and thought that it was just a one-hit-wonder, good to see that it has the potential to operate more often. Now if only we could only just get Asiana's cargo ops back.

Speaking of cargo, does anyone have an update on All Nippon Cargo starting PDX ops? There was a rumor awhile back that they could be coming to PDX.

lhpdx

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 pm

https://popcdn.azureedge.net/pdfs/Nov18_AG_Final.pdf

FACILITY LEASE – UNITED AIRLINES – PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

November 14, 2018 Presented by: Kaitlin Duncan PDXNext Business & Properties Liaison
REQUESTED COMMISSION ACTION
This agenda item requests approval of a facility lease at Portland International Airport (PDX) with United Airlines (United) for a 30,000-square-foot hangar, as well as adjacent ramp and ground, for the operation of an aircraft maintenance facility.
BACKGROUND
In January 2016, under its new ground lease for the Oregon Air National Guard (ORANG), the Port of Portland (Port) took possession of property including a large aircraft hangar, two support buildings, aircraft ramp and adjacent land, located off of Cornfoot Road and Mary Olson Way on the south side of PDX, between the Air Transportation Center and ORANG.
The Port undertook an assessment of what would be necessary to upgrade the outdated aircraft hangar to make it marketable. The hangar has been vacant for approximately 10 years. The assessment identified a range of necessary testing and repairs, including those needed to make the building eligible for a City of Portland certificate of occupancy, a pre-requisite to leasing the hangar. Port staff developed a detailed cost estimate of approximately $2,650,000 for the repairs required to make the hangar usable.
Under this proposed long-term facility lease of the hangar and adjacent ramp, depicted below, United has agreed to perform the necessary repairs to bring the hangar up to a commercially leasable condition, subject to reimbursement for certain costs.

FA9295

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:04 pm

OAG 11/11/2018: Busy week for PDX!
AA CLT-PDX FEB 1.5>0.9[1.0] MAR 2>0.8[1.0]
AA DFW-PDX MAR 5>4[4]
AA LAX-PDX MAR 3>4[3]
AA ORD-PDX FEB 1.8>1.0[1.0] MAR 2>1.0[1.0]

AS ANC-PDX MAY 2>3[3]
AS BOI-PDX APR 7>8[7] MAY 7>8[7]
AS BOS-PDX MAR 1.6>0.9[0.9] APR 2>1.5[1.0]
AS BUR-PDX MAY 3>4[2]
AS FAT-PDX MAR 1.3>2[1.0] APR 1.0>2[1.0] MAY 1.0>2[1.0]
*AS FCA-PDX MAR 0.7>0[0.6] APR 1.0>0[0.9] MAY 1.0>0[0.9]
AS FCA-SEA MAR 2>3[3] APR 2>3[3] MAY 2>3[3] - The Dropped PDX-FCA is getting added to SEA.
AS GEG-PDX APR 7>8[8] MAY 7>8[8]
AS LAS-PDX MAR 3>4[3] APR 3>4[3] MAY 3>4[3]
AS LAX-PDX MAY 7>8[7]
*AS MCI-PDX MAR 0.7>0[0] APR 1.0>0[0.1] MAY 1.0>0.5[1.0]
AS OMA-PDX MAY 0>0.5[0.9]
AS PDX-PSP MAY 1.4>2[1.2] JUN 0.3>0.5[0.1]
AS PDX-PVR MAY 0.4>0[0]
AS PDX-SFO MAR 7>8[4] APR 7>8[5] MAY 7>8[8]
AS PDX-SJC APR 5>4[4] MAY 5>4[4]
AS PDX-SJD MAY 0.6>0[0]
AS PDX-STS MAR 1.7>1.0[1.0] APR 2>1.0[1.0] MAY 2>1.0[1.4]

B6 ANC-PDX JUN 0>0.6[1.0] AUG 0>0.7[0.8]
B6 BOS-PDX JUN 0>1.1[1.5] AUG 0>1.6[1.7]
B6 LGB-PDX JUN 0.4>1.0[2] JUL 0>1.0[2] AUG 0>1.0[2]

SY HNL-PDX APR 0.1>0.3[0]
SY LAS-PDX APR 0.1>0.5[0]
SY MSP-PDX APR 0.1>0.3[0]
SY PDX-PHX APR 0.1>0.4[0]
SY PDX-SFO APR 0.1>0.3[0]

UA ORD-PDX APR 4>3[3]
UA PDX-SFO APR 9>7[7]

UA MFR-SFO APR 4>5[4]
UA RDM-SFO APR 3>4[4] MAY 3>4[4]

Notes:
- AS is dropping PDX-FCA. Not too surprised there. Seemed like a low-yielding route TBH. For context, the flight is getting moved to SEA.
- AA is further delaying it's second PDX-CLT flight (for like the third or fourth time I think...). Too bad that this route isn't doing well.
- AA is maintaining it's forth daily PDX-LAX flight.
- AS adds flights to BOI, BUR, maintaining it's second daily FAT flight, GEG, LAS, LAX, SFO, and PSP. Delays PDX-MCI resumption, and PDX-OMA seasonal. Reduces STS, SJC, and BOS flights.
- SY extended their routes.
- AS reducing it's seasonal Mexico routes.
- B6 ANC and BOS flights return next summer. LGB is extended.
- UA adds more SFO flights to MFR and RDM.

FA9295

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Update: PDX-FCA isn't actually being dropped. It's just being delayed until June.

MatthewDB

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:50 am

Chugach wrote:
Since everybody loves a good PDX vs SEA debate, I thought I’d look at some economic indicators to shed some light on why SEA has been growing exponentially more than PDX. The cliff notes version is that Seattle’s economy has grown exponentially more than Portland’s.

Currently metro Seattle has the 11th largest GDP in the country; metro Portland has the 21st largest. Sounds about right, but digging in to the numbers a little bit sheds some more light on things. In 2012, Seattle’s GDP was $267,420,000 and Portland’s was $144,551,000. The delta between the two cities at that time was $122 million and change. Fast forward to 2017, and Portland saw solid economic growth at a rate of 19% over five years, increasing the GDP to $171,772,000. -snip-

I think you're missing three zeros on those numbers. Perhaps the data you pulled from used $K? My employer alone does that much business in Portland and we're barely on the radar.

jplatts

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 pm

WN has its next schedule extension tomorrow, and WN will likely resume PDX-AUS, PDX-BWI, PDX-HOU, and PDX-MCI seasonal nonstop service in Summer 2019.

Are there any adds out of PDX (apart from the resumption of WN PDX-AUS, PDX-BWI, PDX-HOU, or PDX-MCI seasonal nonstop service) that WN is likely to announce in tomorrow's schedule extension?

FA9295

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Alaska's PAE flights to/from PDX current schedule: All PAE flights starting in February 2019
PDX 7:40 am - PAE 8:40 am
PDX 10:20 am - PAE 11:20 am
PDX 9:40 pm - PAE 10:35 pm

PAE 6:30 am - PDX 7:25 am
PAE 6:00 pm - PDX 6:55 pm
PAE 9:05 pm - PDX 10:00 pm

jbpdx

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Southwest continues its slow retreat from Portland. Gone are summer seasonal PDX-AUS and daily PDX-BWI, which drops to summer seasonal weekend only. No new unserved routes announced.
Major airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

FA9295

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:32 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Southwest continues its slow retreat from Portland. Gone are summer seasonal PDX-AUS and daily PDX-BWI, which drops to summer seasonal weekend only. No new unserved routes announced.

And ironically, BNA got a whole bunch of nonstop routes that clearly have less PDEW then PDX-BNA... PDX-BWI exiting is probably due to Alaska's flight. Maybe this will incentivise Alaska to make their PDX-BWI flight year-round, although I have my doubts...

Pretty soon, Alaska will have so much market share at PDX that they'll be able to jack up the prices/fares due to little to no competition at all...

southwest1675

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:37 pm

BNA got a nice expansion, but was shocked to not see PDX on there.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

jbpdx

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Was Southwest seasonal PDX-ABQ dropped last year or is that a new cut this year too?

FA9295

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:51 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Was Southwest seasonal PDX-ABQ dropped last year or is that a new cut this year too?

That route used to be year-round, but was converted to summer seasonal when Alaska started it.

If it's not in the recent schedule release, then yes, it probably is another cut route.

ooslc

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:38 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Alaska's PAE flights to/from PDX current schedule: All PAE flights starting in February 2019
PDX 7:40 am - PAE 8:40 am
PDX 10:20 am - PAE 11:20 am
PDX 9:40 pm - PAE 10:35 pm

PAE 6:30 am - PDX 7:25 am
PAE 6:00 pm - PDX 6:55 pm
PAE 9:05 pm - PDX 10:00 pm

There's a 4th flight added March 11th:

PAE 1:20pm - PDX 2:15pm
PDX 3:55pm - PAE 4:50pm
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

jbpdx

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:47 pm

So this year PDX has had route cuts or reductions from Southwest, JetBlue, Icelandair, Alaska, Horizon, Frontier, Aeromexico. Am I forgetting anything else?

ULCCs at PDX, Spirit is 2x/day only to LAS; zero Allegiant.

No unserved routes (not counting PAE) filled this year or announced for next year.

Meanwhile, September PDX report still hasn’t been released.

flyoregon

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:29 pm

jbpdx wrote:
So this year PDX has had route cuts or reductions from Southwest, JetBlue, Icelandair, Alaska, Horizon, Frontier, Aeromexico. Am I forgetting anything else?

No unserved routes (not counting PAE) filled this year or announced for next year.

Yeah, it's pretty much sucked this year. Oregon economic outlook isn't great according to a new article published by the Oregonian "newspaper" and there are anecdotal signs that it is slowing down. That being said, it's not going backwards, so all of these reductions and lack of new routes is somewhat bewildering. Alaska is holding it's ground against Southwest, but they aren't really growing the market. Icelandair is figuring out what to do next all across the network, but I don't think they're going anyway and has less to do with Portland itself. JetBlue could set up a little focus city but it would be an uphill battle. They don't seem to be all that interested in the west coast anyway. Frontier sucks so that's not heartbreaking. Aeromexico is struggling and the timing of flights out of Portland was garbage. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cut Seattle too at some point.

FA9295

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:01 pm

I think Southwest's strategy at PDX is quite interesting. The majority of their PDX flights are to/from SoCal, along with a few to LAS, PHX and DEN. These are all markets that AS has clear dominance in (except for DEN, which annoys me to no end!). They even have flights to smaller/secondary California airports, like BUR and ONT--and apparently those routes have been doing very well for them. Yes, they did cut PDX-SFO, however, having that route within their network was kind of redundant given their OAK and SJC flights (and SMF to a much lesser degree).

It would be cool if they had any interest in adding underserved/unserved markets at PDX, but Southwest tends to be very conservative with their routes.

FA9295

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm

flyoregon wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty much sucked this year. Oregon economic outlook isn't great according to a new article published by the Oregonian "newspaper" and there are anecdotal signs that it is slowing down. That being said, it's not going backwards, so all of these reductions and lack of new routes is somewhat bewildering. Alaska is holding it's ground against Southwest, but they aren't really growing the market. Icelandair is figuring out what to do next all across the network, but I don't think they're going anyway and has less to do with Portland itself. JetBlue could set up a little focus city but it would be an uphill battle. They don't seem to be all that interested in the west coast anyway. Frontier sucks so that's not heartbreaking. Aeromexico is struggling and the timing of flights out of Portland was garbage. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cut Seattle too at some point.

Not including MEX (since that route is ending), was the last new destination (from PDX) MCO?

jbpdx

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 am

Meanwhile, from the Nashville Tennessean/March 2018:

“Doug Kreulen, Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority CEO, said adding flights to Portland, Oregon, was among the airport's top priorities, given demand from health care leaders in Nashville.“

I’m guessing the PoP didn’t get involved.

lhpdx

Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Why is Portland losing so many flights?

flyoregon

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:27 pm

lhpdx wrote:
Why is Portland losing so many flights?

Because the PoP is more concerned about selling property and building pointless box warehouses to sit empty than to generate economic driving options for business travel. Portland is a great city, I’ve been here all of my life, but for business, it’s not that great. This place is so anti growth it’s insane.

m0ssy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 pm

Happy Friday my friends! Here’s my weekly cringeworthy low res phone pic! :duck:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos