Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

midway7

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:43 am

babcock wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
midway7 wrote:
I do not understand the SW thing at all. I relocated to PDX in August and have been commuting to MCI and DAL since. The early morning RON flights are packed. Most flights during the day seem to do fairly well, even in the off season time in late September and October.

Looks like Southwest is ending PDX-MCI in April. And Alaska is suspending PDX-MCI in January. So for most of April and May there will be no nonstops between Portland and Kansas City.

Could the MCI cuts be related to the horrible airport circumstance in Kansas City? I've flown through there numerous times as part of a connection. I would say a large chunk of the traffic is connecting to other flights. But without any question MCI is the absolute worst airport in the country with a lack of space and amenities behind security. Perhaps SWA finally came to the conclusion that steering people though Denver and Midway makes for a better customer experience.

Could be. You are right. MCI is a dump. It is great for O&D because we can get through in about 20 steps and 10 minutes, but connecting is a pain. When travelling in and out of MCI, I just do not use airport retail. We have gotten used to stopping along I-29 or Route 71 for years.

FA9295

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:16 pm

jbpdx

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Looks like WN restarts PDX-MCI on 8 June but who knows for how long. The inconsistency on this route by Southwest and Alaska is a joke. They should just decide who gets the route and keep it year round, like they seem to have done with PDX-STL.
^

twincommander

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Anyone want to see AeroMexico in the daytime?

Now's your chance.

Will also by 2 AM 737s here tonight.

JB hit a big bird. Compressor stall, flap damaged, inlet bent up.

FA9295

Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:04 pm

B6 PDX-JFK recovery flight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KPDX/KJFK

Was ferried/positioned in from LGB as N659JB: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KLGB/KPDX

N503JB (the original A320) is still at PDX.

midway7

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:25 pm

jbpdx wrote:
Looks like WN restarts PDX-MCI on 8 June but who knows for how long. The inconsistency on this route by Southwest and Alaska is a joke. They should just decide who gets the route and keep it year round, like they seem to have done with PDX-STL.

Flew it yesterday. Full plane at 530A. However, many on board were people redirected due to the winter storm earlier in the week.

PDXPOL

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:55 pm

So my co-worker was down at the Sun Country HNL flight when the SY MSP flight arrived this was a couple days ago. He spoke with the first officer of the MSP flight. The first officer told my co-worker that SY was looking to establish a flight attendant base here at PDX. I thought that was interesting. The pilot also said he wishes they would consider a pilot base, as he would like to move. But as of now, they are not considering a pilot base. That first officer said he flew in the MSP flight and was the same crew flying it out.

With his comments in mind, I would think that SY has larger plans for PDX in the very near future. I know they are getting additional aircraft in 2019. I wounder what their plans would be, especially not to get in a war with AS.

Aloha717200

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:20 am

PDXPOL wrote:
So my co-worker was down at the Sun Country HNL flight when the SY MSP flight arrived this was a couple days ago. He spoke with the first officer of the MSP flight. The first officer told my co-worker that SY was looking to establish a flight attendant base here at PDX. I thought that was interesting. The pilot also said he wishes they would consider a pilot base, as he would like to move. But as of now, they are not considering a pilot base. That first officer said he flew in the MSP flight and was the same crew flying it out.

With his comments in mind, I would think that SY has larger plans for PDX in the very near future. I know they are getting additional aircraft in 2019. I wounder what their plans would be, especially not to get in a war with AS.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which contractor Sun Country uses at PDX for ramp work and/or above wing positions? Or do they do it in house? I'd be surprised if they're not contracted at PDX, but would be happy if that's the case.

TransWorldOne

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:24 am

I would take pilot rumors with a grain of salt if I were you.

jbpdx

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 am

PDXPOL wrote:

Plenty of unserved routes for the picking.
^

formeraa

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:57 am

jbpdx wrote:

Plenty of unserved routes for the picking.

Right, but they are not necessarily PROFITABLE routes! There is likely a good reason why they are UNSERVED. :)

RWA380

Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:29 am

PDXPOL wrote:

They have had success in lowering fares to HNL, I've seen $249-279 r/t on SY, HA & AS in the past two months. MSP is under $200 consistently on SY & DL has matched. I think SY is aware of the routes that are well served & under served out of PDX. It makes perfect sense to me that SY would want to have a F/A base here on the West Coast.

The fares to San Francisco are under $100 r/t on AS & SY, not sure if UA is worried much. But it seems AS is going to try & squash this sooner than later, so SY can't get any real brand recognition in their pop-up Portland store. But as has been discussed to death, AS just can't be interested in acquiring SY & a fleet of leased 738's.

All of the PDX destinations, except HNL are connected back to MSP non-stop, so some aircraft route PDX-PHX-MSP for example. The PDX-SFO-PSP-SFO-PDX flight isn't a through flight number, but it is the same aircraft. I'm curious about the aircraft utilization, as at least on Tuesday it doesn't seem like they operate one flight to/from PDX this winter.

Lastly, would SY continue with year round Hawaii & Sun destinations, or would the cities change seasonally? Orlando in the summer, Palm Springs in the winter?
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

pdxav8r

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 am

jbpdx wrote:

No, it isn’t a joke. If it doesn’t print money, they only run it when it actually does. And they aren’t flipping a coin to decide whom gets a year round route. Obviously it is a money loser in the off-season. What gives WN the upper hand, is that they can connect passengers through MCI. AS relies on O&D exclusively. Two different animals. Plenty of connectivity from both, plus other carriers, in the low season.

jplatts

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:08 am

pdxav8r wrote:
What gives WN the upper hand, is that they can connect passengers through MCI. AS relies on O&D exclusively.

AS actually does offer connecting service to Alaska, Hawaii, and smaller Oregon markets from other parts of the country through PDX. While I agree that most of the passengers on AS's MCI-PDX nonstops aren't connecting at PDX, AS does offer connections to ANC, EUG, and RDM from MCI through PDX.

flyoregon

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:10 am

PDXPOL wrote:

There maybe something behind this. SY is hiring PDX based FAs. Who knows, could be the start of something more.

jbpdx

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:06 am

pdxav8r wrote:
No, it isn’t a joke. If it doesn’t print money, they only run it when it actually does.

Alaska and Southwest suspend at the same time even though there are enough passengers for an AS E175 or a WN 737.
April and May SEA stays at 3x/day, PDX goes to 0x/day. (SAN will have 3x/day in April/May 2019.)

LFs:
PDX-MCI. (2x/day)
April 2017. 86%
May 2017. 91%

SEA-MCI. (3x/day)
April 2017. 83%
May 2017. 84%

SAN-MCI. (2x/day)
April 2017. 85%
May 2017. 88%

(Source: AirlineIntel)
^

FA9295

Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

No, it isn’t a joke. If it doesn’t print money, they only run it when it actually does. And they aren’t flipping a coin to decide whom gets a year round route. Obviously it is a money loser in the off-season. What gives WN the upper hand, is that they can connect passengers through MCI. AS relies on O&D exclusively. Two different animals. Plenty of connectivity from both, plus other carriers, in the low season.

What I find interesting is that WN and AS are suspending the flights at different times. AS in January, and Southwest in April.

Edit: last time I looked at the schedule, they were suspending the route at different times, has that recently changed? If they are both indeed being suspended at the same time, it would be quite interesting that we have PDX-STL running while PDX-MCI is not.

The real "joke" route is WN's PDX-BWI summer seasonal weekend-only schedule.

FA9295

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409771

I doubt that this has to do with PDX suspensions, but MCI is going through a terminal expansion/spending crisis, where airlines are pushung back against it.

It is apparently effecting AS, as they stated that: Baggage costs according to an analysis of Alaska said that smaller carriers will get the shaft, with the proposed formula costing Southwest about $2.21 per bag but small carriers like Frontier $15.88 per bag.

Again, I doubt that this has to do with PDX suspensions, since PDX is a notably smaller seasonal market, but it's still interesting that even AS made a statement on the issue, given their minimal presence at MCI with routes just to and from their hubs and focus cities.

jbpdx

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

PDX Portland International Airport
October 2018 Traffic

(compared with October 2017)
Total: 1,673,196 +5.1%
Domestic: 1,606,684 +4.4%
International: 66,512 +24%

Year to date: 16,686,407 +4.4%
Getting to 20 million this year will depend on heavy Nov-Dec traffic but it probably will just miss.

JetBlue # flights
Oct 2018 116
Oct 2017 194

Cathay Pacific Cargo
573 tons +60.1%
^

jbpdx

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm

FA9295 wrote:
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409771

I doubt that this has to do with PDX suspensions, but MCI is going through a terminal expansion/spending crisis, where airlines are pushung back against it.

It is apparently effecting AS, as they stated that: Baggage costs...

Baggage costs are projections for the new airport.

PDX-MCI PDEW in 2nd quarter 2018 were 167 (334/2).
^

FA9295

Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm

Here's an updated plan of the terminal movement arrangements:

According to this image, concourse A may not be demolished after all. Or at least, this image/article doesn't include that plan yet. I'm presuming that they will just rename both concourses A and B, to just "B", making it just one large regional concourse instead of two smaller ones.

Air Canada will hang on to gate D2, and United will hang on to gate D1 as well as E1 through E5. Southwest will move all of it's operations to the newly expanded concourse E, which will be gates E6 through E11.

One issue here is that I don't really see any room where Sun Country could further expand if they ever wanted to. In fact, they're not even labeled on the image at all!

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... se-454096/

If anyone wants something to read up on, here's an article which outlines terminal expansion plans at all of Alaska's 4 major hubs (SEA, PDX, SFO, and LAX).

lhpdx

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:24 pm

FA9295 wrote:

According to this image, concourse A may not be demolished after all. Or at least, this image/article doesn't include that plan yet. I'm presuming that they will just rename both concourses A and B, to just "B", making it just one large regional concourse instead of two smaller ones.

Air Canada will hang on to gate D2, and United will hang on to gate D1 as well as E1 through E5. Southwest will move all of it's operations to the newly expanded concourse E, which will be gates E6 through E11.

One issue here is that I don't really see any room where Sun Country could further expand if they ever wanted to. In fact, they're not even labeled on the image at all!

If anyone wants something to read up on, here's an article which outlines terminal expansion plans at all of Alaska's 4 major hubs (SEA, PDX, SFO, and LAX).

This image does not completely portray the POP near future plans for A/B........CC-A will be completely demolished and CC-B will be extended with additional jetways gates............

flyoregon

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 pm

FA9295 wrote:

This layout was created before SY started flights to Portland, so it's a little out dated. Plus, look at how much gate space Alaska will gain on C. JetBlue only needs 1...if that, and AA needs only a handful of gates. That gives Alaska a lot of room to expand.

jbpdx

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:36 pm

flyoregon wrote:
JetBlue only needs 1...if that

JetBlue # of flights at PDX cut from 194 in Oct 2017 to 116 in Oct 2018, a 40% cut.
^

FA9295

Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:50 pm

flyoregon wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

This layout was created before SY started flights to Portland, so it's a little out dated. Plus, look at how much gate space Alaska will gain on C. JetBlue only needs 1...if that, and AA needs only a handful of gates. That gives Alaska a lot of room to expand.

lhpdx wrote:
This image does not completely portray the POP near future plans for A/B........CC-A will be completely demolished and CC-B will be extended with additional jetways gates............

I guess that makes sense. I just assumed that the article would have updated the proposal, but yes, this is probably still the older/original plan.

midway7

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:26 am

I hate to see Southwest leave C. I feel this concourse has the best amenities. Appears it would balance out the airfield operations a bit, especially when they are using the 28's. Southwest would likely land and depart 28R mostly once on E. They could favor landing on 10L and pull right into their gates. Most everyone would still depart 10L as is the case now.

lhpdx

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 am

midway7 wrote:
I hate to see Southwest leave C. I feel this concourse has the best amenities. Appears it would balance out the airfield operations a bit, especially when they are using the 28's. Southwest would likely land and depart 28R mostly once on E. They could favor landing on 10L and pull right into their gates. Most everyone would still depart 10L as is the case now.

I'm pretty sure they're planning some great amenities for the newly extended CC-E. Stay tune.............

FA9295

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:46 am

midway7 wrote:

As dumpy as concourse E is now, i'm sure that the amenities there will significantly improve once the expansion is finished.

lhpdx

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUueUtPMVyk

For those curious on how the CC-E extension is coming along, here's a neat time-lapse video via
REFA Steel Erectors............

midway7

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 am

FA9295 wrote:
midway7 wrote:

As dumpy as concourse E is now, i'm sure that the amenities there will significantly improve once the expansion is finished.

Thanks for the future confidence guys! Since my home airport is MCI, if nothing changed it will still represent an improvement. They open a second Moe's over on E, all is good! PDX is great!

jbpdx

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:06 am

Aeromexico is starting MEX-YYC in May 2019. So now we know their excuses for dropping MEX-PDX we’re just plain b.s.
^

BlatantEcho

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:25 am

I'm looking at PDX-AMS-DUS in mid Jan.... $13,000 for DeltaOne... woof
More lift to Europe all season long please!

FA9295

Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:52 am

jbpdx wrote:
Aeromexico is starting MEX-YYC in May 2019. So now we know their excuses for dropping MEX-PDX we’re just plain b.s.

Two things to point out here:

1). The Canada-Mexico market is quite large. Even smaller cities in Canada, like Abbotsford and Kelowna have frequent flights to Mexico, just to name a few.
2). WestJet is pretty much a SkyTeam member at this point. So there will be more ample opportunities for passengers to connect via Calgary to Mexico. Pretty soon, AM will probably end up cutting most, if not all routes that aren't at SkyTeam hubs.

tphuang

Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:28 pm

FA9295 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

Two things to point out here:

1). The Canada-Mexico market is quite large. Even smaller cities in Canada, like Abbotsford and Kelowna have frequent flights to Mexico, just to name a few.
2). WestJet is pretty much a SkyTeam member at this point. So there will be more ample opportunities for passengers to connect via Calgary to Mexico. Pretty soon, AM will probably end up cutting most, if not all routes that aren't at SkyTeam hubs.

West Canada to mexico is large, but west Canada to Mexico City definitely is not large. I don't see how there can possibly be more demand from Calgary than Portland. There simply is minimal link between two cities.

FA9295

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 am

OAG 12/9/2018:
AC PDX-YYC JAN 0.9>0.7[0.5] JUN 1.4>1.0[1.8] JUL 1.9>1.0[1.9] AUG 1.8>1.0[1.8] SEP 1.9>1.0[1.7]
AC PDX-YYZ MAY 0.5>0.2[0.4]
AS BOS-PDX APR 1.5>1.0[1.0]
AS PDX-SEA MAR 19>17[23] APR 18>16[23] MAY 19>16[24]
DL PDX-SEA SEP 7>8[7]
SY LAS-PDX JUN 0.1>0.6[0] JUL 0>0.5[0] AUG 0>0.6[0] SEP 0>0.6[0]
SY MSP-PDX JUN 0.1>1.0[1.2] JUL 0>1.0[1.6] AUG 0>1.0[1.4] SEP 0>1.0[0.9]
SY PDX-SFO JUN 0.0>0.3[0] JUL 0>0.3[0] AUG 0>0.3[0] SEP 0>0.3[0]

Notes:
- AC reduces YYC flights, and delays summer seasonal YYZ flight.
- AS further delays restart of second daily BOS flight, and further reduces PDX-SEA (probably because of the PAE flights).
- DL adds a PDX-SEA frequency.
- SY extended their schedule on some routes. PDX-LAS looks very solid. That route must be doing well for them. PDX-MCO isn't coming back (at least not in this update), but I didn't really expect that anyhow...

jbpdx

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am

More from the latest PDX October numbers.
Condor had a 90% LF with 18 flights compared with 6 in 2017.
Extrapolating from 2017, PDX will miss 20 million passengers by ~30,000-50,000. No surprise with the cutbacks from JetBlue, Frontier and Icelandair.
^

flyoregon

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:24 am

jbpdx wrote:
More from the latest PDX October numbers.
Condor had a 90% LF with 18 flights compared with 6 in 2017.
Extrapolating from 2017, PDX will miss 20 million passengers by ~30,000-50,000. No surprise with the cutbacks from JetBlue, Frontier and Icelandair.

Even if JetBlue, Frontier, and Icelandair didn’t cut back, still likely would t have hit 20mm. Next year.

PDX757

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 am

Out of curiosity, when CC-B is extended, how will that effect the current road layout and max alignment? Unless they essentially rebuild A, I can’t see how it wouldn’t need to be realigned. I recall seeing a document a while back that called for B extension to be in a straight line with CC-C

MatthewDB

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:59 am

lhpdx wrote:
midway7 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're planning some great amenities for the newly extended CC-E. Stay tune.............

I want Gustav's back! If they're upgrading E, they could bring it back over there.

jbpdx

Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:17 am

The “Limited Seasonal” Baltimore, Philadelphia schedule for 2019:

AS PDX-BWI 6 June—24 August Daily
WN PDX-BWI 9 June—4 August Sat/Sun* (17 days)

AS PDX-PHL 6 June—24 August Daily
AA PDX-PHL 6 June—19 August Daily

*2017 was daily
^

jbpdx

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:35 pm

After ending the season earlier than originally planned this year, it appears Icelandair is renewing its commitment to Portland. Next year’s KEF-PDX season begins 14 March operating 2x/week, goes to 3x/week beginning 7 April, 4x/week on 19 May, increases to 5x/week on 11 June, and 6x/week beginning 17 June. Season runs at least through 8 December.
^

BlatantEcho

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Any of you guys see the craziness of departures arrivals last night during windstorm?

737-900s taking off runway 21 into a 30kt headwind.

Arrivals were all goofy too. Didn’t last long, but good timeS

midway7

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:26 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
Any of you guys see the craziness of departures arrivals last night during windstorm?

Too bad I am out of town. I would have loved to see 21 used. I was going to ask if it ever saw air carrier operations.

Were they landing 21 as well?

Chugach

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:29 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:

Flew in from ANC last night and landed on 28L. Bummer...21 would have been cool.

lhpdx

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:45 pm

jbpdx wrote:
After ending the season earlier than originally planned this year, it appears Icelandair is renewing its commitment to Portland. Next year’s KEF-PDX season begins 14 March operating 2x/week, goes to 3x/week beginning 7 April, 4x/week on 19 May, increases to 5x/week on 11 June, and 6x/week beginning 17 June. Season runs at least through 8 December.

It's great to see Icelandair's continued commitment to the Portland market..I was afraid that Delta summer daily to London would runoff some of the other Europe bound competition...

cschleic

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:33 pm

Chugach wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

Flew in from ANC last night and landed on 28L. Bummer...21 would have been cool.

Once I was on a DL 757 that landed on 21. Coming in, looking out the window, it was weird until I realized where we were. Then low over the river and the levy and...short field landing....planted it hard.

lhpdx

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am

cschleic wrote:
Chugach wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

Once I was on a DL 757 that landed on 21. Coming in, looking out the window, it was weird until I realized where we were. Then low over the river and the levy and...short field landing....planted it hard.

In all of my years of flying out of PDX, I've only departed once on a DL 757 on 21......That was when it was 7000 ft long...........

WolfPDX

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:27 am

Amazon was even taking off and landing on 21. FedEx even slipped a MD11 in on 21.(FX781 KMEM-KPDX https://fr24.com/data/flights/fx781#1edf06bd) That was fun to see from the ramp.

N174UA

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 am

jbpdx wrote:

Any mention of them eventually going daily year round, and upguaging the aircraft on the route?

What about Condor...are they coming back for PDX-FRA? Sure would be nice to see LH back in PDX!

I'm glad to see PDX-LHR is coming back with DL, hopefully one day that can go daily year round as well.

FA9295

Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 am

HA 26 HNL-PDX has quite an odd routing coming in tonight: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/HAL ... /PHNL/KPDX

It's going towards the bay area, then is set to head north from there. Anyone know why that would happen?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos