bigfoot0503

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2018

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Meanwhile SkyWest while snubbing LMT steps into markets like Vernal, UT, Laramie, WY, Pueblo, CO, Hays, KS and Scottsbluff, Nebraska. If you see the logic please try and explain. Most of those airports with an exception or two hardly warrant 1 CRJ flight/day.

RWA380

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 pm

jbpdx wrote:
In an interview with "CBS Evening News" anchor Jeff Glor in Scotland on Saturday, trump “named the European Union -- comprising some of America's oldest allies -- when asked to identify his "biggest foe globally right now."

If trump keeps it up, he’s on track to kill the transatlantic airline market.

It's no secret that tourism numbers have dropped inbound to the US since his presidency began, air reductions have been made already with more to come if people decide to holiday elsewhere, just like any company would do if their expenses outweigh the operation, airlines will drop flights.

Some people who may have made a trip to the US, may be considering vacationing elsewhere, especially when their own governments start warning against travel to the US, because of civil unrest in various areas & the current gun debate/issues that our country is experiencing.

No matter what your views are & like it or not, most of the modern World does not support our current gun laws & feel that we (America) as an advanced nation, should be elsewhere when it comes to the gun issues.

Nothing I have said is meant to be political, these are not just my views, they are all facts. The information has been gleaned from recently read articles on how tourism in the US is being influenced by the Trump presidency. There are many articles on this subject.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

ANA787

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 pm

DL PDX-NRT appears to be going daily starting March 2019. Surprising.

jbpdx

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 pm

ANA787 wrote:
DL PDX-NRT appears to be going daily starting March 2019. Surprising.

It’s been daily except during slow winter months. It’s daily now.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

Slug71

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Meanwhile SkyWest while snubbing LMT steps into markets like Vernal, UT, Laramie, WY, Pueblo, CO, Hays, KS and Scottsbluff, Nebraska. If you see the logic please try and explain. Most of those airports with an exception or two hardly warrant 1 CRJ flight/day.

I wonder the same. I know it's not much in the Industry, but they even had a $850,000 incentive to bring service. Which I'm sure would have been put forth every year until something could be (hopefully) done with the EAS. Maybe the risk just wasn't justifiable at the moment.

Its quite sad really, because LMT is very central (and so is MFR) to Sacramento, SFO, Reno, PDX, Boise...
But Medford has a much higher population, so I suppose that has a lot to do with them being more successful. The city of Klamath Falls also doesn't do much to grow it's almost nonexistent economy. Would be nice if we could get the people from Medford here for stuff, instead of us having to go there...

Such a waste of a good runway. The Guard only flies twice a day. They do fly most days though. I think it gets a small Fed Ex plane twice a day? A few Dassault Falcons in and out. Other than that, there's not a whole lot that goes on.

pdxav8r

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:26 am

RWA380 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
In an interview with "CBS Evening News" anchor Jeff Glor in Scotland on Saturday, trump “named the European Union -- comprising some of America's oldest allies -- when asked to identify his "biggest foe globally right now."

If trump keeps it up, he’s on track to kill the transatlantic airline market.

It's no secret that tourism numbers have dropped inbound to the US since his presidency began, air reductions have been made already with more to come if people decide to holiday elsewhere, just like any company would do if their expenses outweigh the operation, airlines will drop flights.

Some people who may have made a trip to the US, may be considering vacationing elsewhere, especially when their own governments start warning against travel to the US, because of civil unrest in various areas & the current gun debate/issues that our country is experiencing.

No matter what your views are & like it or not, most of the modern World does not support our current gun laws & feel that we (America) as an advanced nation, should be elsewhere when it comes to the gun issues.

Nothing I have said is meant to be political, these are not just my views, they are all facts. The information has been gleaned from recently read articles on how tourism in the US is being influenced by the Trump presidency. There are many articles on this subject.

The city of Portland beats itself up with the growing homeless issues, protests, etc., kind of the same issues as San Francisco. But stop the ‘numbers’ BS. International travel, as well as cargo are up in the last year. As stated above, DL is going daily to NRT earlier, Icelandair is maintaining/getting closer to daily, almost year round, AS is starting early on Cabo/PV, Condor has expanded here. This is the Oregon thread. If you want to blather about US travel in general, start a national topic, because the President hasn’t affected international travel numbers at PDX. Or show me local numbers at PDX, EUG, MFR, or RDM, on how international travel is declining.

RWA380

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:40 am

Since you are not willing to do your homework, I even told you where to find it, so one wouldn't start speaking on subjects they are unaware of, so here are a litany of articles, by reliable sources that state travel to the US is way down & it is to Oregon as well. Go and check the last quarter of this year & you'll see which nationalities have come to visit us:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel ... -6-n840326

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ce-inboun/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1GL21E

If you are trying to base your argument on a couple of International adds, those routes were in place before Trump, but may not survive it. Like it or not, foreigners don't want to visit America as much as they used to. Portlands homeless crisis is just that, until there is a safe place to help people, even a number of safe places, we wouldn't have that issue for our tourism board to try & explain away. like it or not, this does mean Oregon.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

toobz

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 am

Well I can say as much of a mess that Portland is these days...don’t hate..lived there for 30 years until just recently moving back to europe..it’s a total riddle as to why so many people want to go there. but they do. The city has more tourists than I’ve ever seen. And we all know DL does not keep flights around for the hell of it. If they aren’t performing to their quite strict fiscal standard they get reduced/dropped. NRT performs very well despite what some people say.

jbpdx

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:55 pm

trump only called the European Union our “foe” in the past few days. The repercussions of that will take time to unfold. When people, especially in Germany, France and the UK, decide not to come to the US, it will start to hit transatlantic air travel. When LH, BA, KL and AF to name a few start seeing half-empty planes, we’ll see cancellations. Certainly no new routes or adds. It will hit every city with flights to Europe. Even Canadians have started postponing trips to the US.
Major N.A. airports with no PDX nonstops: MIA, FLL, TPA, IND, MSY, CLE, CVG, PIT, RDU, MEX, CUN; +BWI, +PHL, +YYZ

PDX757

Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:

I don’t think Skywest has too much say as to where they fly. Those cities are all pretty close to DEN and SLC, as in they are in the intermountain west and western great plains. I could see LMT panning out for DL to SLC or SEA, or UA to SFO. AS’ pilot shortage has really put the hurt on small cities, as I mentioned earlier, and AS seems to be focusing much more on building up CA and SEA. That said, MFR isn’t too far away from LMT, and it’s only real draw is being close to Crater Lake. MFR is pretty close to CL too AND has more economic activity.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:54 pm

jbpdx wrote:
trump only called the European Union our “foe” in the past few days. The repercussions of that will take time to unfold. When people, especially in Germany, France and the UK, decide not to come to the US, it will start to hit transatlantic air travel. When LH, BA, KL and AF to name a few start seeing half-empty planes, we’ll see cancellations. Certainly no new routes or adds. It will hit every city with flights to Europe. Even Canadians have started postponing trips to the US.

Isn’t that a little over-dramatized? I wouldn’t cancel my trip to a country just because some disgacesful psychopath president made some stupid comments. I hope others will just go about their business too.

Is there any evidence that load factors on US bound international flights is declining due to the Orange Clown?

bigfoot0503

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Wow, talk about NOT keeping this thread to the essence of what it should be and hurling silly political comments back and forth...really people??? Put aside your political ideology and lets engage in healthy aviation discussion and debate.

FA9295

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
Wow, talk about NOT keeping this thread to the essence of what it should be and hurling silly political comments back and forth...really people??? Put aside your political ideology and lets engage in healthy aviation discussion and debate.

Thank you. Let's just drop this political nonsense already. I agree with most of the statements made on here, but that's not what this thread is even for.

PDX757

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:48 pm

This isn’t specific to Oregon aviation, but could be something of benefit to small cities on EAS or struggling to attract or maintain unsubsidized service:
With some EAS subsidies in the multi-million dollar range, would it not be more cost effective in the mid to long term for an EAS city to purchase and operate an aircraft of their own? There wouldn’t be a minimum number of flights per week, so service could be offered only on peak days. What I’m envisioning is something more akin to a municipal transit agency like trimet, but with aircraft.
Just wondering aloud!

ooslc

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:24 pm

USA Jet DC-9 on it's way to PDX.

https://fr24.com/JUS205/1d2d294d
    Ironically, I don't work for OO anymore, and I'm not in SLC anymore. PDX based, aviation enthusiast, non-aviation worker.

bigfoot0503

Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 pm

PDX757...speaking of the EAS subsidies...that was kind of my point with some of the markets that I mentioned regarding Klamath Falls being snubbed when it comes to air service. I'm well familiar with the markets served out of Denver that I highlighted. (I worked at DEN in the early 1990's and served as the Customer Service Manager for United Express).

Point is...2/3 of those cities I mentioned don't even warrant service, they are merely an EAS grab by SkyWest dba United Express. Heck Pueblo is an easy 30-35 minute drive to Colorado Springs where there are a PLENTY of air carrier options for travelers. Laramie, WY seemed to get by for decades without any sort of air service (other than maybe Centennial Airlines back in the 90's). Anyhow I think with all of the politics, bureacracy and hands that are in the "EAS cookie jar" a proposal to allow a city to administer it's own carrier utilizing EAS funds would likely never happen. What is happening more often is a call to end EAS funding all together.

PDX757

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm

bigfoot0503 wrote:
PDX757...speaking of the EAS subsidies...that was kind of my point with some of the markets that I mentioned regarding Klamath Falls being snubbed when it comes to air service. I'm well familiar with the markets served out of Denver that I highlighted. (I worked at DEN in the early 1990's and served as the Customer Service Manager for United Express).

Point is...2/3 of those cities I mentioned don't even warrant service, they are merely an EAS grab by SkyWest dba United Express. Heck Pueblo is an easy 30-35 minute drive to Colorado Springs where there are a PLENTY of air carrier options for travelers. Laramie, WY seemed to get by for decades without any sort of air service (other than maybe Centennial Airlines back in the 90's). Anyhow I think with all of the politics, bureacracy and hands that are in the "EAS cookie jar" a proposal to allow a city to administer it's own carrier utilizing EAS funds would likely never happen. What is happening more often is a call to end EAS funding all together.

Oh I see. Yeah I see the point of EAS in places that are legitimately remote, like literally anywhere in Alaska. The lower 48 are a different story. There are a few exceptions of course, but even Pendleton is a stretch IMO. I’d like to see more milk run type ops. Something like Burns-Baker City-Pendleton-PDX if well timed with small a/c and some sort of agreement with AS could do well

lhpdx

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 am

I have a feeling of SEA is selected as Cathy Pacific next US gateways, PDX will lose it's lone all belly cargo service........

FA9295

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 am

lhpdx wrote:
I have a feeling of SEA is selected as Cathy Pacific next US gateways, PDX will lose it's lone all belly cargo service........

Yep. I'm pretty sure that it's going to be SEA. :cry:

PDX just doesn't have the business market needed in order to support a PDX-HKG passenger flight. Another issue is that the PDX passenger terminal itself is way too small. Airlines like Cathay and ANA/JAL are extremely conservative in their route choices. They don't want to be the first foreign long-haul airline at an airport (such as PDX), because they want to know that the route will be successful ahead of time, and since the only long-haul route to/from PDX and Asia is Delta's NRT flight (which isn't really all that reliable anyhow, since NRT and HKG are completely different markets), they can't guarantee any sort of success on PDX at all. With SEA, several foreign airlines have long-haul ops at the airport, as well as an airline (Delta) with a very substantial long-haul operation there. With that in mind, they can see that SEA would be much more successful than PDX.

Metaphorically speaking, it almost goes along the saying that, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". SEA will only just continue to get more long-haul ops and PDX will continue to lose out because SEA has been seen as a very successful long-haul market and they are afraid to even just "try" the neighboring PDX market because no other airline has recently done it before.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Cathay's PDX cargo ops will move to SEA, but I seriously doubt that they'll want to operate at two PNW cities at the same time (even if one of them is cargo and the other one is pax).

Well, if this pans out, then bye bye Cathay. If they indeed decide to move to SEA (including their cargo ops), than they will certainly not be missed by me.

lhpdx

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:34 am

FA9295 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

PDX just doesn't have the business market needed in order to support a PDX-HKG passenger flight. Another issue is that the PDX passenger terminal itself is way too small. Airlines like Cathay and ANA/JAL are extremely conservative in their route choices. They don't want to be the first foreign long-haul airline at an airport (such as PDX), because they want to know that the route will be successful ahead of time, and since the only long-haul route to/from PDX and Asia is Delta's NRT flight (which isn't really all that reliable anyhow, since NRT and HKG are completely different markets), they can't guarantee any sort of success on PDX at all. With SEA, several foreign airlines have long-haul ops at the airport, as well as an airline (Delta) with a very substantial long-haul operation there. With that in mind, they can see that SEA would be much more successful than PDX.

Metaphorically speaking, it almost goes along the saying that, "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". SEA will only just continue to get more long-haul ops and PDX will continue to lose out because SEA has been seen as a very successful long-haul market and they are afraid to even just "try" the neighboring PDX market because no other airline has recently done it before.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Cathay's PDX cargo ops will move to SEA, but I seriously doubt that they'll want to operate at two PNW cities at the same time (even if one of them is cargo and the other one is pax).

Well, if this pans out, then bye bye Cathay. If they indeed decide to move to SEA (including their cargo ops), than they will certainly not be missed by me.

Seattle has been selected so that's the final nail in the coffin...Don't expect to see Cathay in Portland to much longer even with the incentives................

FA9295

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:53 am

lhpdx wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
lhpdx wrote:

Seattle has been selected so that's the final nail in the coffin...Don't expect to see Cathay in Portland to much longer even with the incentives................

......and there's one more flight that I have to drive 3 hours north to get to. And of course now Alaska is going to put on more PDX-SEA flights to help feed that flight. Which means less resources for Alaska to use for primary routes, meaning more AS cutbacks at PDX. That's just great. Not to mention that PDX-SEA recently increased since Aer Lingus added SEA-DUB, as well.

PDX757

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:27 am

As I’m sure everyone on this thread would agree, the port seem to be pretty impotent at attracting overseas carriers. Delta has been great and all, and I’m thankful for what we have, but come on...
An additional flight to Asia is something that’s been on the port’s wish list for quite some time iirc. HKG seems like a stretch for PDX, especially since SEA didn’t work great for DL. I think NRT is going to stick around in some form or fashion. NRT is kind of an orphan route for DL since there is no real feed for either end, yet they’ve kept it around long after acquiring NW.

FA9295

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 am

PDX757 wrote:
As I’m sure everyone on this thread would agree, the port seem to be pretty impotent at attracting overseas carriers. Delta has been great and all, and I’m thankful for what we have, but come on...
An additional flight to Asia is something that’s been on the port’s wish list for quite some time iirc. HKG seems like a stretch for PDX, especially since SEA didn’t work great for DL. I think NRT is going to stick around in some form or fashion. NRT is kind of an orphan route for DL since there is no real feed for either end, yet they’ve kept it around long after acquiring NW.

Given the DL/KE joint venture, I think DL to ICN is next. I would have expected that to be announced by now, though... If PDX-ICN does happen, I would like to hope that PDX-NRT sticks around. For a route with no feed (only O&D traffic), it's been doing very well...

lhpdx

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 am

With all of the new international flights SEA has received, is there really need for more international flight to PDX? It would appear that the PNW is well served via Seattle......

PDX757

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 am

FA9295 wrote:
Given the DL/KE joint venture, I think DL to ICN is next. I would have expected that to be announced by now, though... If PDX-ICN does happen, I would like to hope that PDX-NRT sticks around. For a route with no feed (only O&D traffic), it's been doing very well...

I think the two routes could coexist and even complement one another. My hope would be KE metal, but I certainly wouldn’t complain about a DL 767.
You have to think, would PDX have much more international service if SEA were not so close? I personally doubt it. PDX certainly has above average service compared to other CSAs of comparable size. We have two international routes that are almost purely O&D. LHR year round and ICN while retaining NRT would make me pretty jolly.
Of course until the next recession and we’re left with season AMS only.

Dreamflight767

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:29 am

I know it's daily now, but personally I can't help but wonder how long the NRT flight will stick around. I can't help but wonder between the SEA-KIX and HKG flights if that won't hurt PDX-NRT.

I do think that if NRT goes, ICN would be the replacement unless someone like HX or HU comes into play. Who knows.

pdxav8r

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:28 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
I know it's daily now, but personally I can't help but wonder how long the NRT flight will stick around. I can't help but wonder between the SEA-KIX and HKG flights if that won't hurt PDX-NRT.

I do think that if NRT goes, ICN would be the replacement unless someone like HX or HU comes into play. Who knows.

SEA-KIX, and SEA-HKG have ZERO bearing on DL’s NRT flight, or the loads. The NRT flight is heavy O&D, and it is pretty much proven that, being that DL has removed a bunch of connecting options at NRT. Something keeps the flight alive, where many of the naysayers (for the last couple of years) have wrongly predicted its demise. Not saying it may or may not die, but corporate contracts and other factors have kept this ‘oddball’ route around and sustainable or DL simply wouldn’t fly it. DL may ultimately cede the route and go ICN instead, but obviously there is good demand to Tokyo, and another carrier would most likely pick it up if dropped. It could end up like DL’s European schedule from PDX, where they go to the well with the connecting hub daily (ICN like AMS), and a scaled down O&D route (NRT like LHR).

On the idea of Cathay moving their cargo route to SEA, I get the worry, especially after KE moved their cargo route to SEA after announcing passenger service there. However, Cathay has increased service lately to PDX, and being the only Asian carrier currently helps. Cathay serves other cities in the US with cargo service that it doesn’t offer passenger service. Also, with the lack of shipping available (container ship lines), they have a monopoly, especially fresh goods. Fingers crossed.

WolfPDX

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:39 am

Hate to point out. They only increased their flights for cherries during said season. Which more than half of come outta wenatchee. Which makes SEA a far more appealing spot with Boeing and honesty far more companies to pick from up there. Even more so PDX is a 95/5 airport. 95% export and 5% import so SEA would be far better for CX on import.

flyoregon

Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:25 pm

CX announcing SEA isn’t the best news for Portland. We seen it before with Cargolux, Air China, Korean and Asiana. I feel like the Port gets excited about the one option they have and then doesn’t do anything to keep it. This notion of “quit whining, connections is Seattle is better than nothing” is getting old. As has been pointed out over and over again, PDX doesn’t need to be the size of SEA, but a state of over 4mm and a CSA of over 3mm surely can support more year-round long haul international than it does.

pnwpdx

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm honestly starting to lose faith in the POP's ability to attract and retain airlines and routes. The airport continues to see growth in passenger traffic and we aren't seeing all that much growth in service, even seasonal service. I understand some routes are starting earlier in the season than normal, but I just think airlines are bypassing PDX.

I agree with what someone else said in a previous post, our best option or the airline most likely to give Portland love is Delta. I'd love for them to start PDX-LAS service and even maybe take a jab at the PDX-DEN route. Also, with Austin seeing an uptick in Delta routes, I can see them jumping into that also.

As far as international routes, I definitely think we can support a Delta/AF CDG route. I hope they announce something for next summer before the end of third quarter. ICN on DL/KE, waiting any day now...
Next Flight:
PDX-SEA-PHX-LAX-PDX on DL

bigfoot0503

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
I'm honestly starting to lose faith in the POP's ability to attract and retain airlines and routes. The airport continues to see growth in passenger traffic and we aren't seeing all that much growth in service, even seasonal service. I understand some routes are starting earlier in the season than normal, but I just think airlines are bypassing PDX.

I agree with what someone else said in a previous post, our best option or the airline most likely to give Portland love is Delta. I'd love for them to start PDX-LAS service and even maybe take a jab at the PDX-DEN route. Also, with Austin seeing an uptick in Delta routes, I can see them jumping into that also.

As far as international routes, I definitely think we can support a Delta/AF CDG route. I hope they announce something for next summer before the end of third quarter. ICN on DL/KE, waiting any day now...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have become a Delta loyalist, largely due to the fact that Delta maintains the international flights that they do out of PDX. Additionally, Delta seems to be the only carrier at PDX that responds to seasonal needs at PDX with the appropriate equipment...when's the last time you saw American or United bring in a B757-300 or let alone a widebody for a domestic flight? Delta has shown PDX some conservative love and I like to thank them for that with my continued business and frankly I'm always chirping in someones ear about new point to point service or new international routes, ie (PDX-CDG or PDX-ICN).

If you look at Delta across the US Delta has a practice of taking cities like PDX and adding point to point service, a fine example is Indianapolis, where Delta just started non-stops to CDG. Take a look however at some of the Delta Connection routes that come out of IND. I think the only thing holding Delta back from doing the same here at PDX is the presence of Alaska and perhaps the gate siuation on D...however there is still room for growth...and I'm talking about some adds like PDX-LAS or PDX-SJC or PDX-DEN...these flights could all be operated by Delta Connection on the CRJ7 or ER175 or even the B717. I also think that the SEA DL hub now at its' present manisfestation has little to do with what PDX may or may not see on DL (these are 2 different markets each with various pottential). As discussed the PDX-NRT DL flight is strictly O&D and has been around for how many years???

If collectively people started to contact the PoP and Delta Airlines and began a consistent effort at requesting routes...I do believe somehow they would begin to get "the message". I'm only a Silver Medallion with Delta but had a wonderful conversation with a SkyMiles rep recently when he asked me what could Delta do better in Portland. I of course listed off several markets where a Delta n/s flight(s) would be a huge addition for our market. Additionally I assured him that there are many travelers out of PDX who are very loyal to Delta but due to a lack of point to point flying are often forced to travel on other carriers. This Delta rep assured me that he was going to personally see that my message was put forth to a group of Delta planners at a monthly meeting that he attended where Ed Bastian regularly attends.

bigfoot0503

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 pm

For those unfamiliar with the Port of Portland's efforts at marketing the International service offered from PDX. Click to the "About" tab where it asks PDX travelers to tag or use the line "I Fly Nonstop"...to spread the word of the availability of PDX international flights:

www.iflynonstop.com

bigfoot0503

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:12 am

A bit of departure from our aviation discussion but relevant when you discuss the economic viability and resilient nature of the Pacific NW. This article from the Seattle Times highlights the number of "construction cranes" in use throughout the US. Seattle was #1 with Chicago and Los Angeles taking the #2 and #3 spots...but check out if you will where Portland landed...#4! And for historical reference that number for Portland has been higher. A very good friend of mine actually works for a company that handles all of the logisitcs in bringing these massive cranes to the Portland metro area. He told me that there is clearly and unequivocally a direct correlation between the number of construction cranes in a given city and the economc viability of that particular area.

Not to highlight areas that are lacking or are without, but we on this forum constantly hear about other cities or geographical areas and their supposed "merits' when it comes to attracting or supporting a given air carrier(s) or air route. I won't call out any specific areas...but when you analyze the attached map from the article it does sort of "speak volumes"...does it not?

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/re ... s-new-peak

FA9295

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:28 am

Speaking of Delta, I'm currently seeing the Boeing 767 back on ATL-PDX-ATL in November.

FA9295

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
A bit of departure from our aviation discussion but relevant when you discuss the economic viability and resilient nature of the Pacific NW. This article from the Seattle Times highlights the number of "construction cranes" in use throughout the US. Seattle was #1 with Chicago and Los Angeles taking the #2 and #3 spots...but check out if you will where Portland landed...#4! And for historical reference that number for Portland has been higher. A very good friend of mine actually works for a company that handles all of the logisitcs in bringing these massive cranes to the Portland metro area. He told me that there is clearly and unequivocally a direct correlation between the number of construction cranes in a given city and the economc viability of that particular area.

Not to highlight areas that are lacking or are without, but we on this forum constantly hear about other cities or geographical areas and their supposed "merits' when it comes to attracting or supporting a given air carrier(s) or air route. I won't call out any specific areas...but when you analyze the attached map from the article it does sort of "speak volumes"...does it not?

Interesting read. Just goes to show how significant the rapid growth of the Pacific Northwest regions really are in comparison to other metropolitan cities within the U.S. The correlation of "cranes" to economic growth definitely makes sense. Both Portland and Seattle are rapidly growing in many facets, and with that, comes more economic and business growth opportunities. Hopefully the airlines (specifically Delta in terms of PDX's long-haul operations) will be able to take advantage of this growth for travel to and from the city. The steady growth is only going to continue overtime, so hopefully that's a sign for good things to come in the future for PDX! :D

bigfoot0503

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:53 am

FA9295 wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Interesting read. Just goes to show how significant the rapid growth of the Pacific Northwest regions really are in comparison to other metropolitan cities within the U.S. The correlation of "cranes" to economic growth definitely makes sense. Both Portland and Seattle are rapidly growing in many facets, and with that, comes more economic and business growth opportunities. Hopefully the airlines (specifically Delta in terms of PDX's long-haul operations) will be able to take advantage of this growth for travel to and from the city. The steady growth is only going to continue overtime, so hopefully that's a sign for good things to come in the future for PDX! :D

Yes I agree...it's another intriguing facet of what I believe is positive economics for our region. Often we tend to make these comparisons between what Seattle has and what Portland doesn't...the fact is I think what we are seeing is some extremely positive synergies being created in this region that make both areas very enticing for all sorts of opportunities. Collectively the growth between Portland and Seattle is trouncing that of other US areas...even the massive population centers on the Eastern Seaboard.

pdxav8r

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 am

bigfoot0503 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Yes I agree...it's another intriguing facet of what I believe is positive economics for our region. Often we tend to make these comparisons between what Seattle has and what Portland doesn't...the fact is I think what we are seeing is some extremely positive synergies being created in this region that make both areas very enticing for all sorts of opportunities. Collectively the growth between Portland and Seattle is trouncing that of other US areas...even the massive population centers on the Eastern Seaboard.

Holy Schnikees! Has anyone tried to even drive on the freeways in Seattle lately (or in the last 10 years)? As bad as Portland is getting, that city needs to have a heavy focus on their traffic issues. Good for them with all the construction, but...it is a nightmare. I don’t even bother driving up there any longer. Fly or train for me. Not dealing with that crap.

rosecityspotter

Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:27 am

pdxav8r wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Holy Schnikees! Has anyone tried to even drive on the freeways in Seattle lately (or in the last 10 years)? As bad as Portland is getting, that city needs to have a heavy focus on their traffic issues. Good for them with all the construction, but...it is a nightmare. I don’t even bother driving up there any longer. Fly or train for me. Not dealing with that crap.

If I ever go up to Seattle, I won’t leave until around 6 PM or so and stay a couple nights. Granted I’ll be driving home in rush hour, but I can make it to Seattle in a flat 3 hours or maybe a little less on the way up.

bigfoot0503

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Good point...sadly I was looking forward to what the "Cascades High Speed Rail" program was going to bring our region. Obvioulsy the project was set back significantly with the crash on its' maiden voyage on December 18, 2017. The project is not dead and I've heard Gov. Inslee from Washington cite the merits of the program on plenty of occasions. There is a continued push on getting the program back to a viable level and in fact funds from other areas in the US that had declined them were reallocated to Oregon/Washington for our High Speed Rail project.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres/C0 ... ger_v4.pdf

FA9295

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Some decreases for PDX this week:

DL MSP-PDX JAN 4>3 FEB 4>3
DL PDX-AMS JAN 0.9>0.7 FEB 0.9>0.7

UA SFO-PDX DEC 9>8

FA9295

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:47 am

It looks like enilria just re-posted on the thread again with some format changes. The brackets are a comparison to last year's operations:

AS PDX-SUN FEB 0.3>0[0.3] MAR 0.2>0[0.3] (somehow I missed this one earlier today)

DL MSP-PDX JAN 1.9>1.4[1.5] FEB 1.9>1.4[1.4]
DL PDX-MSP JAN 1.9>1.4[1.5] FEB 1.9>1.4[1.4]
DL PDX-NRT APR 1.0>0.7[0.7]

UA SFO-PDX DEC 8>7[8]

gunsontheroof

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 am

pdxav8r wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

Not to go too far off track with this thread, but re: Seattle transit...it's over. Metro is about as good as it gets, but the time for implementing rapid tranist (rail) was forty years ago and we blew it. Between the challenging geography, useless city government and steroid-enduced growth, getting anything done in this city transit-wise in the near future is a total non-starter. Don't come here--move to Portland. :D
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

flyoregon

Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Iberia inbound to PDX from BCN on an A340-600 arriving at 1859?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/IBE ... /LEBL/KPDX

Chugach

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:20 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:
bigfoot0503 wrote:

Not to go too far off track with this thread, but re: Seattle transit...it's over. Metro is about as good as it gets, but the time for implementing rapid tranist (rail) was forty years ago and we blew it. Between the challenging geography, useless city government and steroid-enduced growth, getting anything done in this city transit-wise in the near future is a total non-starter. Don't come here--move to Portland. :D

Just wait a few years until we implement tolls on all lanes of I-5 and I-205. Seattle hasn’t even gone that far yet.

Chugach

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 pm

flyoregon wrote:

Wow...that’s a rare bird for the PNW, let alone PDX.

lhpdx

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 pm

AS PDX-SUN FEB 0.3>0[0.3] MAR 0.2>0[0.3] (somehow I missed this one earlier today)

Is this another AS city discontinues from PDX?

bigfoot0503

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

Chugach wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Wow...that’s a rare bird for the PNW, let alone PDX.

Yeah, for sure an odd ball. Some sort of charter? The frame (EC-JNQ, A340-600) is only 12 years old so I can't think of anything maintenance wise that would bring it to PDX??? Hopefully someone is able to catch a nice picture of the aircraft at PDX. I always loved seeing the elongated fuselage of the A340-600 here at PDX years ago when we had n/s flights to FRA on Lufthansa.

zonks

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:26 am

flyoregon wrote:

FC Barcelona is heading to Portland, most likely for Nike promotional stuff before their men's and women's teams tour the US.

FA9295

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 am

zonks wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

FC Barcelona is heading to Portland, most likely for Nike promotional stuff before their men's and women's teams tour the US.

Anyone gonna be around to get a pic of the aircraft...? ;)
It looks like it's leaving back to Madrid at 9:00 PM: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/IBE ... /KPDX/LEMD

pdxav8r

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 am

FA9295 wrote:
zonks wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Anyone gonna be around to get a pic of the aircraft...? ;)
It looks like it's leaving back to Madrid at 9:00 PM: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/IBE ... /KPDX/LEMD

Wonder what they are going to charter around the states. Anyone know how long they are staying in Portland?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos