Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EvanWSFO

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:59 pm

tphuang wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
tphuang wrote:

If local nashville business are demanding this route, then they will keep it going for a long time.

If SWA doesn’t maintain a reliable operation, local businesses won’t be flying them which will lead to them dropping frequency. It would be stupid for them to keep 5 a day just because it’s being demanded of them. Always remember they tried this route before and there was a reason they stopped it.

Again, every airline has routes that take losses. It has nothing to do with reliable operation. They have the largest network out of Nashville. And I'm sure they would not have launched this route without encouragement from local businesses. If they think from a network point of view, they need to operate this route, they will. It was a huge deal for them to launch this route, so they are not giving up anytime soon. Again, DL with it's great performance numbers have several routes that I bet are loosing far more money than WN will on BNA-ATL. Just my $0.02 on this. We will see the data later this year.

I don't see why these two cannot co-exist on BNA-ATL. I was surprised WN started out 5x daily, and we may see that go to 4. Delta will cut back on some of those seven 757 flights, and go to their winter schedule where they pull back one of two flight. As much as I fly DL, I'd take WN to Atlanta when it's my final destination.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:51 pm

rexchase12 wrote:
Probably carrying the Mexican Soccer team. They played against the USA team last night at Nissan Stadium. USA won 1-0

I knew that but hairbrained me didn't make the connection. Thanks.

southwest1675

Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:42 pm

I wish AA wasn’t allergic to P2P. Nashville would probably make them a fantastic focus city. Kinda like DL in RDU.

pdt2f

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:05 am

southwest1675 wrote:
I wish AA wasn’t allergic to P2P. Nashville would probably make them a fantastic focus city. Kinda like DL in RDU.

I just don’t see AA ever being a major player in this town like that, or anything close to what they used to be. We’re surrounded by AA hubs at DFW, CLT, MIA, DCA, and ORD; I just don’t see them offering anything but flights to hubs. They seem to be comfortable at BNA, they have their premium and business traffic, their admirals lounge, and decent frequency to all of their hubs (except the paltry 2 ERJ’s per day to JFK). The airline that would make sense to make Nashville a focus city is UA given their weakness in the region (as has been mentioned here and elsewhere repeatedly), but they won’t because they’re UA.

SNN707

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am

pdt2f wrote:
787fan8 wrote:
Considering that it's still TATL announcement season, could we potentially expect any new announcements of service anytime soon? If anything, I think BNA would be a logical new destination for either DE or WW.

Conceivably, yes. I personally think it’ll be next fall when a summer 2020 flight on one of the euro discount airlines is announced. I think they’re still watching to see how the BA flight does, if it continues doing well one of the TATL LCC’s will want a piece of the pie.

As an MSY based flyer, there are many similarities between the MSY and BNA markets. There will be more TATL service to both airports. We have BA and DE and many are hoping for more service, as I am.

The TATL LCCs are very volatile with their routes. I think having daily BA service is better than a LCC carrier, especially for the business community. You certainly don't want a LCC cherry picking mainline revenue for a year or two then up and leaving. An ideal pairing is a Euro and a domestic airline each offering daily service, one to LHR and the other to a mainland hub.

I do see BNA beating MSY to such an abovementioned scenario. I think both cities are very strong tourist markets, but BNA has an edge business wise. I would like to see AA run a BNA-MSY nonstop to create a OneWorld link. Then tourists could do BA to MSY, AA to BNA, the BA back to LHR (or vice versa) - taking in two great music cities in the USA.

EvanWSFO

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:54 pm

I see where WN is adding some 1x weekly routes from various cities to sun destinations PUJ and MBJ to name a couple. Is there so little traffic that all BNA can muster internationally is a weekly Cancun flight, most always with AA & DL on the same day (Saturday)?

pdt2f

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
I see where WN is adding some 1x weekly routes from various cities to sun destinations PUJ and MBJ to name a couple. Is there so little traffic that all BNA can muster internationally is a weekly Cancun flight, most always with AA & DL on the same day (Saturday)?

It’s probably most of the reason that they have so many daily flights to FLL, TPA, and MCO, to connect BNA based fliers to the Caribbean. Perhaps they’ll add some weekend tropic flights next winter or something.

dfdubflyer

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 pm

UA up to 3x on SFO. Pretty awesome given just a few years ago BNA slacked even a single nonstop to the Bay.

EvanWSFO

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 am

pdt2f wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

It’s probably most of the reason that they have so many daily flights to FLL, TPA, and MCO, to connect BNA based fliers to the Caribbean. Perhaps they’ll add some weekend tropic flights next winter or something.

I note there are quite a few flights that overfly BNA to the Caribbean. Perhaps when the permanent FIS is built we might see a few.

pdt2f

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:13 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
UA up to 3x on SFO. Pretty awesome given just a few years ago BNA slacked even a single nonstop to the Bay.

Is that now? Or when do they go to 3x if it’s not already?

Midwestindy

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Top domestic targets
Portland, Ore.: 118 passengers per day
Fort Myers, Fla.: 99 (service begins in November with Sun Country Airlines; Southwest Airlines provides service seasonally)
Sacramento, Calif.: 96
Orange County, Calif.: 92
Hartford, Conn.: 88

Top international targets

Tokyo (and other Asian destinations): More than 30 to Tokyo
Dublin (and other European destinations): More than 20 to Dublin
Rome: Approximately 20
South America: Fewer than 10 to any one destination

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 303582002/

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:56 pm

I went to Toronto last week and flew WS up on Wednesday and AC back on Friday night. WS was maybe 80 percent full, but I got a ticket for less than $150 all in on two days notice. That can't be good news about yields. AC was probably 90-95 percent. Both were heavily Canada point of sale, and the AC flight seemed like mostly leisure (bachelor and bachelorette partygoers - however much AC made or lost on the tickets I guarantee that they made a profit on the booze). That wasn't what I expected given AC's usually high ticket prices.

Midwestindy wrote:
Top domestic targets
Fort Myers, Fla.: 99 (service begins in November with Sun Country Airlines; Southwest Airlines provides service seasonally)

RSW is extremely seasonal. While year-round service would be nice it will be tough in the off season.

pdt2f

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
I went to Toronto last week and flew WS up on Wednesday and AC back on Friday night. WS was maybe 80 percent full, but I got a ticket for less than $150 all in on two days notice. That can't be good news about yields. AC was probably 90-95 percent. Both were heavily Canada point of sale, and the AC flight seemed like mostly leisure (bachelor and bachelorette partygoers - however much AC made or lost on the tickets I guarantee that they made a profit on the booze). That wasn't what I expected given AC's usually high ticket prices.

Midwestindy wrote:
Top domestic targets

RSW is extremely seasonal. While year-round service would be nice it will be tough in the off season.

I saw something in the Allegiant thread (I think) about how their travelers are actually on average higher income and fly more often than the average flier on a legacy. The main reason being that only those who are well-travelled or travel as a hobby have typically heard of Allegiant, and typically those who are well travelled or travel hobbiests are higher income. Not many working class folks who jet around as a hobby. Maybe there’s some of that going on, where some of those bridesmaids parties just pick the airline they see a lot of ads for, and don’t necessarily go for the cheaper option because they don’t know it’s there.

With WS did you fly mainline or encore?

RamblinMan

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:04 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

Not only that but it wasn't too long ago BNA lacked any mainline UA service at all. Right after the merger everything was 50-seaters.

southwest1675

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:40 pm

WN on paper should be able to add those domestic markets.

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 pm

pdt2f wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Midwestindy wrote:
Top domestic targets

I saw something in the Allegiant thread (I think) about how their travelers are actually on average higher income and fly more often than the average flier on a legacy. The main reason being that only those who are well-travelled or travel as a hobby have typically heard of Allegiant, and typically those who are well travelled or travel hobbiests are higher income. Not many working class folks who jet around as a hobby. Maybe there’s some of that going on, where some of those bridesmaids parties just pick the airline they see a lot of ads for, and don’t necessarily go for the cheaper option because they don’t know it’s there.

With WS did you fly mainline or encore?

I was on Encore. It was a nice experience other than the miserable gate situation at YYZ with far too many regional aircraft in far too small a space. The Q400 is a little loud but not unbearable. Canada allows running an engine with the door open, and that was loud, but it was okay once the door was shut.

pdt2f

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:13 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
WN on paper should be able to add those domestic markets.

Depends on if they have the metal available. I’m sure there’s bigger fish to fry for them than BNA-SNA. It would be interesting to see a spreadsheet of unserved p2p routes from WN focus cites based on average PDEW.

HeyHey

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:49 pm

For a destination like SNA, I would think PDEW would be a little misleading. I assume that a large number of Orange County-bound passengers leaving from BNA are flying into LAX on a nonstop instead of having to stop somewhere. Of course, adding SNA could potentially erode some of the LAX traffic.

pdt2f

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:23 pm

HeyHey wrote:
For a destination like SNA, I would think PDEW would be a little misleading. I assume that a large number of Orange County-bound passengers leaving from BNA are flying into LAX on a nonstop instead of having to stop somewhere. Of course, adding SNA could potentially erode some of the LAX traffic.

Aren’t PDEW numbers based upon the final destination airports? Like when they say Orange County PDEW numbers they mean people leaving BNA with the final destination of SNA (and vice versa), and not just those who live in Orange County and plan on driving there after landing at LAX?

Jshank83

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm

pdt2f wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

Aren’t PDEW numbers based upon the final destination airports? Like when they say Orange County PDEW numbers they mean people leaving BNA with the final destination of SNA (and vice versa), and not just those who live in Orange County and plan on driving there after landing at LAX?

Correct. They are saying that if there actually was a flight to SNA the SNA number would be higher because those people would fly into SNA instead of LAX. Right now they are flying to LAX and driving instead of doing a layover.

All that said, WN is constricted seat wise at SNA so I don't see it getting added until they get more seats there, which I don't know what the timeline on that is. They had to end AUS/MCI/STL/PDX/SEA/MEX/PUV and move MDW to seasonal instead of year round, due to other airlines taking their seats back.

Background

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/12/22/i ... s-in-2017/

pdt2f

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
HeyHey wrote:

Correct. They are saying that if there actually was a flight to SNA the SNA number would be higher because those people would fly into SNA instead of LAX. Right now they are flying to LAX and driving instead of doing a layover.

All that said, WN is constricted seat wise at SNA so I don't see it getting added until they get more seats there, which I don't know what the timeline on that is. They had to end AUS/MCI/STL/PDX/SEA/MEX/PUV and move MDW to seasonal instead of year round, due to other airlines taking their seats back.

Background

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/12/22/i ... s-in-2017/

Oh ok, that makes sense. So we could definitely sustain a daily, but it probably won’t happen because WN is limited there.

pdt2f

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 am

In August the airport did 1,410,527 passengers, a 14.7 percent jump over August 2017. So far, 2 months into FY2019, we’re up 12.9 percent over the same period in FY2018. I’m guessing some of the jump has to do with WN’s BNA-ATL service starting in early August.

I’m going to try and post monthly numbers on here if I remember. Some of you are on urbanplanet and see me (or others) do the same, but there are some who aren’t on both sites so forgive the repetition.

gsg013

Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm

I agree with you saying that it somewhat has to do with WN BNA-ATL

On the other hand going from an MD-88 to 757-200 is 160 seats to 199 which is a 25% increase on the route for DL. given that only about half of the DL BNA-ATL flights have gone to 757-200 this would be a weighted average increase right around 15% on capacity for that route without taking into account NW. so yes I could see this route having a significant impact on the total BNA pax handled in August.

Bluegrass60

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:19 pm

BNA Aug Stats Total PAX UP 14.1% Total Seats UP 31.9% ...... Load Factor DOWN 12.1%.....Who's making money at BNA in August??

dfdubflyer

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:53 pm

Since that 14.7% is a flux against PY I'm going to go out on a limb and say a fully-loaded 787 is contributing a fair amount to that increase as well. That and the across-the-board gauge increases we've been seeing from legacy carriers

Bluegrass60

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Does the 12.1% drop in LF for BNA in August cause any of you cheerleaders to wonder if maybe...just maybe...BNA is over-served?

southwest1675

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Does the 12.1% drop in LF for BNA in August cause any of you cheerleaders to wonder if maybe...just maybe...BNA is over-served?

Kids went back to school in August.

AviationGeek78

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

I mean I hate to state the obvious here.... but when new service is introduced it is quite normal to have soft loads to start. My point is part of the influx in available seats would be the SWA nonstops to Atlanta. Those flights to start were very light to say the least, I should know I took advantage of that with my ID-90 privileges. We don't need to rehash the SWA ATL subject, you've beat it like a dead horse. Furthermore, load factor and yields do not necessarily go hand in hand.

RamblinMan

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:

Seriously? Summer vacation traffic drops off in August, loads always decrease. Add in a major capacity increase on one route with WN launching 5x daily and DL upguaging a bunch of MD80s to 757s and you will see a noticeable decrease. If it means anything at all it's that one particular route is now over-served but that's just what happens when two carriers get in a pissing contest.

runner13

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:42 pm

It’s a trap!!!! You can’t engage him.

Bluegrass60

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:43 pm

You cheerleaders are math challenged. Total BNA airline seats for August were 424,266 more than 2017. The added ATL service by WN and up-gauging by Delta at most represents 45,000 total seats in August,,,that is only 11% of the increase. The numbers suggest a rebalancing of seats to demand....and lower fares would be the only way to fill more of those seats...and that will further depress yields even if LF increased

cvgComair

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Delete.

Cubsrule

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
You cheerleaders are math challenged. Total BNA airline seats for August were 424,266 more than 2017. The added ATL service by WN and up-gauging by Delta at most represents 45,000 total seats in August,,,that is only 11% of the increase. The numbers suggest a rebalancing of seats to demand....and lower fares would be the only way to fill more of those seats...and that will further depress yields even if LF increased

OK. We rebalance seats to demand. Then, if demand went up ~14 percent, which seems to be the case, we are still looking at a 15-16 percent increase in seats. That's nothing to sneeze at.

southwest1675

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 am

I'm curious where Sun Country will set up their ticket counter. My only assumption is that AA will end up giving up a slice of space.

dfdubflyer

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Yep. BNA should be really worried about that blip last month....

https://www.flynashville.com/news-and-media/press-releases/Pages/DailyRecord.aspx

Nashville International Airport Breaks Daily Record for
Number of Screened Passengers Three Times in Eight Days
27,419 screened passengers on Monday, Oct. 1

NASHVILLE ─ Three times in the past eight days, Nashville International Airport (BNA) broke single-day records for departing passengers screened through Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security lines. The latest record was set Monday, Oct. 1, with 27,419 passengers screened, a 35 percent increase over the comparable Monday in 2017.

runner13

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Cue the Nashville hater in 3,2,1.....

LovePrunesAnet

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 pm

in Nashville right now. The Admirals Club is much smaller than I imagined it'd be. Kind of a big "ta da" downstairs entrance with big spiral glass wall staircase and elevator lobby, but upstairs it's a micro mini club. and the single poor overworked bartender was having to bus tables in between making drinks. I'm glad there's a club but wow it's little. The million miler wall in the upstairs elevator lobby is a nice home-y touch. displays 3 mil and higher only, so none of us credit card riff-raff lifetimers lol

gsg013

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Well that right there tells you if BNA were to serve the record number for 365 days a year they would be at 10,007,935 departing pax a year roughly double that on arriving pax and you are right on 20 mm pax/ year obviously not everyday will be a record but also in the future that record number will only go higher.

Midwestindy

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:08 pm

AA BNA-LAX JAN 2>1.3[1.2] MAR 2>3[2.0] APR 2>3[2.0] MAY 2>3[2] JUN 2>3[2] JUL 2>3[2]

AA's going 3x daily on BNA-LAX, that route is exploding right now

EvanWSFO

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
AA BNA-LAX JAN 2>1.3[1.2] MAR 2>3[2.0] APR 2>3[2.0] MAY 2>3[2] JUN 2>3[2] JUL 2>3[2]

Is that now 8 total flights,or is DL at 3 as well?
AA- 3
DL - 2
WN - 3

pdt2f

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Interesting, because if I’m not mistaken AA has the lowest load factors on the route. I’m guessing they’re making a killing on premium seats. I’m also guessing they’re trying to match WN’s convenience on the route, matching their 3 dailies.

tphuang

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:09 pm

AA is not making a killing on premium seating. From Q2.
CityPair Dist Carrier Board AvgFare NSFare ConnFare % NS SeatPerFlight LF AvgAsm PRASM
BNALAX 1797 AA 43836 314.62 305.34 428.5 92.47% 159.8 76.64% 234.03 0.1302
BNALAX 1797 DL 39463 302.76 297.74 404.88 95.32% 139.9 88.71% 264.14 0.147
BNALAX 1797 WN 63129 273.33 274.53 264.01 88.57% 150.4 84.81% 232.84 0.1296

I think everyone is making money on this route, it can handle the additional traffic.

cvgComair

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:56 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Is that now 8 total flights,or is DL at 3 as well?
AA- 3
DL - 2
WN - 3

DL is 1 or 2 and AA goes down to 1 in the winter. Looks like it is 5 to 8 daily flights depending on the time of year.

Lexy

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:37 am

Been a busy weekend. Sunday was nuts.

SumChristianus

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:39 am

I think it's partly a response to BNA-SFO going 3x daily on UA.

Lexy

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:45 am

I find it fascinating a poster on here who reps an airport that maintains one (1) daily AA mainline flight wants to attempt to discredit anything BNA. I can’t help but laugh.

southwest1675

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 pm

With AA’s new flight schedule, they have decided to no longer schedule turns on gates C11, and C12. They’ll only use 11/12 for kick offs, and terminators. C2 is now a full time use gate for them, and I was told WN will pick up C12 sometime by the end of the year. C11 would then be AA’s overflow gate I suppose.

Lexy

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:07 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
    With AA’s new flight schedule, they have decided to no longer schedule turns on gates C11, and C12. They’ll only use 11/12 for kick offs, and terminators. C2 is now a full time use gate for them, and I was told WN will pick up C12 sometime by the end of the year. C11 would then be AA’s overflow gate I suppose.

You have GOT to be kidding me? God they suck.

pdt2f

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 am

southwest1675 wrote:

Good, WN will use it much better than AA.

Jshank83

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos