Cubsrule

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:13 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Throwing and tagging bags is not exactly network planning for an airline. I have never suggested untrue or doctored statistics. There are people on this board who think Nashville O&D actually can support all of the flights it currently receives with 12.6% transfer traffic (as reported by BNA public relations) I think the transfer traffic is more than published. End of story. Believe what you want.

I believe the data do not count WN thru passengers at all, so they do undercount “connections” a bit. But the data put WN’s connecting percentage in the mid-20s, and I find high 20s or low 30s credible given public statements about other “hubs,” which generally have places like MDW in the high 30s. Why don’t you believe that number?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

bnatraveler

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Throwing and tagging bags is not exactly network planning for an airline. I have never suggested untrue or doctored statistics. There are people on this board who think Nashville O&D actually can support all of the flights it currently receives with 12.6% transfer traffic (as reported by BNA public relations) I think the transfer traffic is more than published. End of story. Believe what you want.

I went back and asked for the data for the year by each month as opposed to just one figure. As growth has happened, they are actually getting greater O&D than transfer. This doesn't seem to add credibility to your argument, Bluegrass60. If you have another source of data, please share.

Noise

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Any chance we can see BNA-YUL with AC in 2019?

EvanWSFO

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Just read a Tennessean article online, a Nashville city council woman is proposing to rename BNA The Oprah Winfrey Nashville International Airport. Hmm....
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

Bluegrass60

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 pm

BNATraveler and CubsRule - nice graphics and info/questions. I don't have the answer....all I know is that BNA traffic has doubled since 2011. Nashville has not doubled in population in that same time (albeit it has added @275,000); yes I know that tourism/conventions are increasing; yes I know there have been notable business expansions. WN has increased daily departures from 80 to 125. BNA will handle @16M PAX this year. All that is great and factual. For folks on this board to think BNA can support service to ECP, PNS, BUR, OMH etc etc without substantial thru and connecting traffic on WN....they should move to a state where pot is legal.

Cubsrule

Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
BNATraveler and CubsRule - nice graphics and info/questions. I don't have the answer....all I know is that BNA traffic has doubled since 2011. Nashville has not doubled in population in that same time (albeit it has added @275,000); yes I know that tourism/conventions are increasing; yes I know there have been notable business expansions. WN has increased daily departures from 80 to 125. BNA will handle @16M PAX this year. All that is great and factual. For folks on this board to think BNA can support service to ECP, PNS, BUR, OMH etc etc without substantial thru and connecting traffic on WN....they should move to a state where pot is legal.

I’d suggest that the population increase is not commensurate with the increased congestion that those of us who live in Nashville experience in various facets of life on a daily basis. With those experiences (as well as my wholly unrebutted presumption that MNAA are not liars), I believe the passenger data.

Maybe metro area GDP would be a better datum for your purposes? Certainly if you like “people counts” you ought to at least consider inbound tourism. Those numbers are publicly available.

Bluegrass60

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 am

Metro area GDP...compared to CVG? IND? Nope. That is not the reason.

Bluegrass60

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:11 am

Bluegrass60

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:12 am

Inbound tourism by air??

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:19 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:

I'd look at the change. BNA will always punch above its GDP weight in air service because of the tourism component and to some degree its isolation relative to a place like CVG.

southwest1675

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:36 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:

A lot has changed in Nashville since 2011. The population did increase, a new tourism and convention aspect formed, many corporations have also relocated to middle TN as well. The economy improved as many ditched driving for flying. That, along with carriers adding/upguaging service over the years is an obvious factor. Yes, Southwest has dominated the Nashville market for over 20 years now. Keep in mind, it’s not just Southwest contributing to the growth. WS, AS, SY, B6, G4, BA, UA mainline, Contour/Boutique, have all played a role. Can’t forget that Frontier also added more than a Denver flight to BNA. So much has changed these last 7-8 years.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Fargo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 am

southwest1675 wrote:
A lot has changed in Nashville since 2011. The population did increase, a new tourism and convention aspect formed, many corporations have also relocated to middle TN as well. The economy improved as many ditched driving for flying. That, along with carriers adding/upguaging service over the years is an obvious factor. Yes, Southwest has dominated the Nashville market for over 20 years now. Keep in mind, it’s not just Southwest contributing to the growth. WS, AS, SY, B6, G4, BA, UA mainline, Contour/Boutique, have all played a role. Can’t forget that Frontier also added more than a Denver flight to BNA. So much has changed these last 7-8 years.

And I believe BNA is only scratching the surface of things to come. While things may taper off a bit in the event of an economic slowdown, I think BNA will generally keep growing at a steady pace into a large, non-hub O&D airport with 30-40 million pax over the course of the next 20 years or so (I saw the numbers for that BNA Vision project and 23 million is a bit too low IMO).

Keep in mind NK hasn't entered the market yet (which will happen as soon as space is available), WN will likely continue to build up BNA into their largest SE station, new European route(s) will likely be launched within the next decade, Asian service could come and of course, there is always upgauging with the US3 that could happen.

ilovelamp

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:16 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
Just read a Tennessean article online, a Nashville city council woman is proposing to rename BNA The Oprah Winfrey Nashville International Airport. Hmm....

HELL no. Better yet, save the controversy of picking the wrong name and potentially offending half the city’s residents and just leave it as it is. Somethings don’t need to be named for a person.

EvanWSFO

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:27 am

Bluegrass60 wrote:

Since you stated this upthread: "I don't know why I waste my time responding to this...., why do you persist in continuing to argue your point? Are you an economist? Are you an aviation consultant? You have been given numerous explanations why the traffic at BNA continues to go up. Yet you have nothing credible to backup your claim. Could it just be that pax flying out of BNA have more expendable income than say CVG or SDF or IND? The metro area has one of the ten wealthiest counties in the nation. I guarantee they ain't driving when they travel.

Perhaps it's time to troll another thread?
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EvanWSFO

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:31 am

ilovelamp wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

HELL no. Better yet, save the controversy of picking the wrong name and potentially offending half the city’s residents and just leave it as it is. Somethings don’t need to be named for a person.

Oh I agree 100%. IMO, if an airport is going to be named after a person, it should be done so only after their death. I guess it could have been worse, they might have tried Andrew Jackson. THAT would get people's knickers in a knot for sure.

antoniemey

Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:41 am

EvanWSFO wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:

Oh I agree 100%. IMO, if an airport is going to be named after a person, it should be done so only after their death. I guess it could have been worse, they might have tried Andrew Jackson. THAT would get people's knickers in a knot for sure.

I they're going to rename the airport... why not go back to having it named after the guy it was originally named for? Colonel Berry.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

FA9295

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 am

WN isn't going to add PDX. They've been downsizing at PDX quite a bit recently. PDX-BWI is now only 2x weekly (Sat + Sun) in the summer, and PDX-MDW is being reduced as well.

If anything, it'll probably summer seasonal on AS.

southwest1675

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:18 am

If BNA would ever be named after someone, I’d go with Johnny Cash.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Jshank83

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:26 am

southwest1675 wrote:

I think you mean Jay Cutler....

southwest1675

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:37 am

Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Good old Vanderbilt
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

EvanWSFO

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:03 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Good old Vanderbilt

Luckily, the city council has no say in this, and I hope MNAA has enough sense to leave it alone. WKRN Channel 2 has an unscientific poll on it's website. 96% say no.

I'm surprised airports haven't gotten into the corporate sponsorship game like stadiums, etc. do. We could always have 'The Martha White Instant Grits Nashville International Airport'. :duck:

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:11 pm

I’ve been going to Atlanta a tremendous amount recently (sitting on an ATL-BNA flight as I write this). Anecdotally, average loads in the 70s as reported upthhread seem about right, though my experience is that loads are often either in the 50s or 90 percent plus. There are thru flights to MSP in most schedules, which probably is no accident. Between thrus and connections on both ends (we go GSP-ATL-BNA-MSP today), WN may not need as much O&D as people assume to make it work.

runner13

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Just announced British Airways will be upgrading to the 787-900 going daily on March 31st.

southwest1675

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 pm

runner13 wrote:
Just announced British Airways will be upgrading to the 787-900 going daily on March 31st.

Well I guess this flight exceeded everyone’s expectations. Especially this quickly.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dfdubflyer

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Going daily AND an upguage within a year. Awesome sign of the flight’s performance. Fingers crossed that F seats sell....

bnatraveler

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:39 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Going daily AND an upguage within a year. Awesome sign of the flight’s performance. Fingers crossed that F seats sell....

F seats will sell. Outbound 31MAR return 07APR, first is only $7,649.13 compared to J at $6,049.13. I have a few friends who have been waiting for this upgauge because they prefer the F seats to the J ones.

Fargo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:51 pm

I wonder if the upgauge is due to demand for F from music/health care executives or the need to free up 788’s for PIT/CHS. If I had to guess, it’s probably a bit of both.

runner13

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:55 am

It must be all that connecting traffic BNA gets :lol: :rotfl:

Fargo

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:04 am

runner13 wrote:
It must be all that connecting traffic BNA gets :lol: :rotfl:

Yep, we all know this is thanks to all those connections WN is providing. All that new service they announced a few weeks ago from BUR, OMA, DTW, MSP was added to fill this plane.......... ;)

Lexy

Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 am

Well dang. I guess WN has a codeshare with BA since BNA could NEVER support this type of service. LOL!!
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

AviationGeek78

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:33 pm

I am dying right now... hahahahahahaha

Fargo

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:37 am

Let me ask you Nashvillians something, what is going on with the AA mainline situation at BNA? As some of you may know, BNA lost mainline to ORD as of next March and has seen a reduction in mainline to PHL as well. Yet, they gained two 737's to MIA. What is up with this? Most surrounding markets like RDU, IND, STL, MSY and so on all have mainline to ORD, why can't BNA make it work? All they have is CR7's and ERJ145's. Not very competitive against UA and WN if you ask me.

Is this due to gate issues or what?

Cubsrule

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:48 am

Fargo wrote:
Let me ask you Nashvillians something, what is going on with the AA mainline situation at BNA? As some of you may know, BNA lost mainline to ORD as of next March and has seen a reduction in mainline to PHL as well. Yet, they gained two 737's to MIA. What is up with this? Most surrounding markets like RDU, IND, STL, MSY and so on all have mainline to ORD, why can't BNA make it work? All they have is CR7's and ERJ145's. Not very competitive against UA and WN if you ask me.

Nothing to do with gates. In fact, AA is a little tight on gates and might benefit from some upgauging in that regard. At one point MQ had separate ground handling but I’m virtually certain that’s no longer the case.

Other than STL, which is a significantly larger O&D market, do any of the markets you listed have as much WN service to MDW?

antoniemey

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:00 am

Fargo wrote:

As of a couple years ago when I left town AA ramp was fully handled by Envoy... part of AA's shuffle between mainline and regional might be keeping BNA under whatever threshold would trigger a requirement to have mainline ramp brought back in. That consideration, plus competition to ORD via UA, and plus fleet utilization network wide, and it may just work better for AA right now to not have mainline on BNA-ORD.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

Fargo

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:28 am

Cubsrule wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Nothing to do with gates. In fact, AA is a little tight on gates and might benefit from some upgauging in that regard. At one point MQ had separate ground handling but I’m virtually certain that’s no longer the case.

Other than STL, which is a significantly larger O&D market, do any of the markets you listed have as much WN service to MDW?

Good point, I knew WN had something to do with it, it’s just a little surprising.

I see 9x daily RJ (mix of CR7 and ERJ145’s) next April, I wonder if they cut it down to 6x daily and upgauged one morning and one evening to a 737 or A319?

UALFAson

Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 am

Fargo wrote:

I don't think they get enough butts in the seats to fill up mainline airplanes. I am Platinum again on AA this year out of BNA and anecdotally most flights I am on are packed in Y- with leisure travelers and F is full of Exec Plats and international connections (to ORD and DFW), but Y+ on many planes, especially Eagle EMB-175s, is usually wide open. There have been multiple times when I was 1 of only 2 or 3 people in all of Y+ to DCA or LGA.

ORD was only 1 mainline a day and it's a shame that couldn't stick. The CRJ-700 isn't too bad on a 60-75 minute flight, but so many ERJ145s is very disappointing, though UA throws on some equally awful CRJ-200s in between their mainline. But AA really can't make up its mind about MIA. It was 175 only, then they added 1 mainline, then they dropped mainline, now you're saying they're brining back 2x... Personally, I don't think they'll be able to sustain this level of service to MIA with WN and B6 offering so much service to FLL. We shall see.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

gsg013

Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:59 pm

UALFAson wrote:
Fargo wrote:

I don't think they get enough butts in the seats to fill up mainline airplanes. I am Platinum again on AA this year out of BNA and anecdotally most flights I am on are packed in Y- with leisure travelers and F is full of Exec Plats and international connections (to ORD and DFW), but Y+ on many planes, especially Eagle EMB-175s, is usually wide open. There have been multiple times when I was 1 of only 2 or 3 people in all of Y+ to DCA or LGA.

ORD was only 1 mainline a day and it's a shame that couldn't stick. The CRJ-700 isn't too bad on a 60-75 minute flight, but so many ERJ145s is very disappointing, though UA throws on some equally awful CRJ-200s in between their mainline. But AA really can't make up its mind about MIA. It was 175 only, then they added 1 mainline, then they dropped mainline, now you're saying they're bringing back 2x... Personally, I don't think they'll be able to sustain this level of service to MIA with WN and B6 offering so much service to FLL. We shall see.

I find AA's product to be consistantly substandard especially on domestic routes. Flying BNA-ORD most people chose to fly UA as the product is far superior. (That isnt really saying that much) but AA to me feels like flying on a dingy flying bus.

gsg013

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

I'm hoping for some sweet award availability in F out of BNA. I would take this one stop option to get to destinations all over Europe..

southwest1675

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 pm

The Envoy Ramp contract is holding back AA expansion in BNA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Lexy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 pm

AA at BNA is actually bigger than STL! They handle more passengers annually than many outstations in the network. There’s some underlying issues with AA at BNA. One of them is the ground handling. On the bright side, UA has multiple mainline flights to ORD!

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Lexy wrote:
AA at BNA is actually bigger than STL! They handle more passengers annually than many outstations in the network. There’s some underlying issues with AA at BNA. One of them is the ground handling. On the bright side, UA has multiple mainline flights to ORD!

UA’s growth at BNA over the past 3 or 4 years is really astonishing. It wasn’t that long ago that the station had nothing larger than a CR7. Now, I’m going to Houston next week and was surprised to see an ER4 ex-IAH.

Lexy

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:38 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:

UA’s growth at BNA over the past 3 or 4 years is really astonishing. It wasn’t that long ago that the station had nothing larger than a CR7. Now, I’m going to Houston next week and was surprised to see an ER4 ex-IAH.

You'll continue to see some growth out of them. They're still ironing out some of the kinks.

UALFAson

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:39 pm

gsg013 wrote:
I find AA's product to be consistantly substandard especially on domestic routes. Flying BNA-ORD most people chose to fly UA as the product is far superior. (That isnt really saying that much) but AA to me feels like flying on a dingy flying bus.

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but please show me objective data that "most people" fly UA because the "product is far superior." I frequently fly the BNA-ORD route on both airlines. It's the same 1:15 flight time northbound on both airlines, the CRJ-700s are practically identical, it's the same Diet Coke (though UA uses smaller cups), and the same 30-minute taxi once you land.

Although I don't have actual data, it wouldn't surprise me that UA flies more passengers on the route than AA because UA uses ORD as a connecting hub more than AA does. AA funnels many connecting BNA pax through DFW, which is why they have all mainline (and mostly 737s at that) on that route while UA is mostly Express on BNA-IAH, including plenty of 50-seaters.

Cubsrule wrote:

Agreed. When I was traveling to SFO regularly in early 2015, there were no nonstops to the Bay Area (WN didn't start OAK until that summer). Now there are 3 daily to SFO on UA alone.

As someone who has pass-ridden on BNA-IAH for years, I'm disappointed but not surprised by ER4s still plying the route. I think between AA at DFW and WN at HOU, it's hard for UA to compete. While they seem to have done well upgauging EWR and ORD (and starting SFO), they seem to continue struggling with IAD, DEN, and IAH.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

pmanni1

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Lexy wrote:

Wikipedia (not sure how accurate) shows AA handled 1,406,000 passengers at BNA this fiscal year and 1,552,000 at STL.

Fargo

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 pm

Lexy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Lexy wrote:

You'll continue to see some growth out of them. They're still ironing out some of the kinks.

Like new destinations or larger planes? And will they ever put a club in BNA?

Fargo

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

Wikipedia (not sure how accurate) shows AA handled 1,406,000 passengers at BNA this fiscal year and 1,552,000 at STL.

That does not take into account regional jet operations unfortunately.

What will it take for BNA to fix the ground handling operations for AA?

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:40 pm

UALFAson wrote:
gsg013 wrote:
As someone who has pass-ridden on BNA-IAH for years, I'm disappointed but not surprised by ER4s still plying the route. I think between AA at DFW and WN at HOU, it's hard for UA to compete. While they seem to have done well upgauging EWR and ORD (and starting SFO), they seem to continue struggling with IAD, DEN, and IAH.

I think it’s an IAH problem. IAH might be my least favorite airport in the US for O&D. Between the complicated rental car experience (to be fair, Hobby is little better), the incessant gate changes, the inconsistent availability of Precheck in all terminals, the relatively inconvenient location, and the long walks, I really don’t like IAH.

I go to College Station a lot for work and if I’m driving from an airport to which I can fly nonstop I almost always pick AUS if I can make the schedule work.

Lexy

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:46 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

It’s wrong. I’ve seen the data (cause I used to work at AA) and BNA handles more.

cvgComair

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Lexy wrote:
pmanni1 wrote:
Lexy wrote:

It’s wrong. I’ve seen the data (cause I used to work at AA) and BNA handles more.

Those are mainline only numbers.

Cubsrule

Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:53 pm

I accidentally learned that WN is running some weekday nonstops to OKC, presumably for the holidays. Did they add any other cities or just monkey tweak frequencies?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos