Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

southwest1675

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I doubt DL will put anything larger than a 737 on a regular basis at BNA until Concourse B is modified to better accommodate larger aircraft

Will the apron expansion help with that, or is it primarily an issue with the gates/concourse itself?

No, it is an issue with the physical concourse itself. Here is a quote from the BNA Vision environmental assessment

Concourse B also requires modifications to accommodate larger aircraft. Larger passenger loads require larger hold rooms and the existing gate configurations at Concourse B are undersized to appropriately accommodate passengers and equipment associated with these aircraft. MNAA would also modify Concourse B in conjunction with the construction of Concourse T, since three gates (B1, B2, and B4) would be removed to accommodate Concourse T.

http://bnavisionnashville.com/site/web/assets/2017/01/BNA-Vision-Draft-Enviromental-Assessment-for-Public-Review-and-Comment.pdf

It makes sense as when a DL 757 was boarding, the line was forming in the middle of the concourse.

southwest1675

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:08 pm

It looks like BNA is trying to get service to PDX, RIC, and year round to RSW.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Why do you say that? Is there something you saw that said that?

tys777

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

It's on a presentation slide that you can see in the background of a picture BNA posted to Facebook this morning. Think the CEO was speaking at Libscomb

tys777

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Here is an article that also talks about the next route targets.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/n ... ml?ana=fbk

DakotaFlyer

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:24 pm

tys777 wrote:

Richmond seems like a random interest, but the business community seems to want it. Seems Southwest could support this flight? Maybe 2x daily, 1x weekend? Would give people in Richmond more access to the SWA network and alternative to ATL.

Cubsrule

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:31 pm

DakotaFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

Richmond seems like a random interest, but the business community seems to want it. Seems Southwest could support this flight? Maybe 2x daily, 1x weekend? Would give people in Richmond more access to the SWA network and alternative to ATL.

PDX is pretty obviously the biggest domestic hole. I'd argue that SJC and maybe SFO (on WN) are more interesting than RIC, but they also use a ton more aircraft time. The chances of RIC depend almost entirely on WN's strategy for ATL. If at some point the need to force feed connections through ATL decreases, BNA-RIC would make some sense.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:18 pm

tys777 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

It's on a presentation slide that you can see in the background of a picture BNA posted to Facebook this morning. Think the CEO was speaking at Libscomb

I see. RIC would be interesting, but how much traffic realistically goes on BNA-RIC. I'd think BNA-BDL/PVD would make more sense if you want more flights to the east coast.

The airport should focus on PDX, that needs to happen sooner rather than later.

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:41 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

PDX is pretty obviously the biggest domestic hole. I'd argue that SJC and maybe SFO (on WN) are more interesting than RIC, but they also use a ton more aircraft time. The chances of RIC depend almost entirely on WN's strategy for ATL. If at some point the need to force feed connections through ATL decreases, BNA-RIC would make some sense.

RIC is a city I hadn't considered. As mentioned it could offer transfers to people not wanting to deal with Atlanta. I know ORF failed, but those are really different markets. I think SJC could handle a flight, but not sure if WN would go into SFO and cover all three airports. I'd still like to see the oft rumored BDL flight.

southwest1675

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:46 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
DakotaFlyer wrote:

RIC is a city I hadn't considered. As mentioned it could offer transfers to people not wanting to deal with Atlanta. I know ORF failed, but those are really different markets. I think SJC could handle a flight, but not sure if WN would go into SFO and cover all three airports. I'd still like to see the oft rumored BDL flight.

I was kinda disappointed that they gave STL BDL instead of BNA. Nobody to this day understands why that route was cut. They flew BNA-ORF close to 20 years, I never understood why that one was cut too.

AAvgeek744

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:09 am

southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I was kinda disappointed that they gave STL BDL instead of BNA. Nobody to this day understands why that route was cut. They flew BNA-ORF close to 20 years, I never understood why that one was cut too.

20 years BNA-ORF? I thought that was a fairly recent route added 4-5 years ago. You may be correct, just didn't realize it.

kingcavalier

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 am

This article says PDX is number one on its wish list with RIC being number two. It also says BNA is close to landing an Iceland flight.

AAvgeek744

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:14 am

kingcavalier wrote:
This article says PDX is number one on its wish list with RIC being number two. It also says BNA is close to landing an Iceland flight.

Please let it be FI over WW. I expected one of those would follow BA into Nashville.

afcjets

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 am

DakotaFlyer wrote:
tys777 wrote:

AA flew three S80s daily roundtrip BNA-RIC when it was a hub and excluding turboprops, WN is almost the same size AA was in BNA.

ADrum23

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:49 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
kingcavalier wrote:

Please let it be FI over WW. I expected one of those would follow BA into Nashville.

I'm pretty sure it will be WW, considering their next round of expansion is likely to be in the southeast, where they lack a presence currently. It seems FI is only willing to try small market airports where there isn't already a legacy TATL flight (like MCI, CLE, etc).

Cubsrule

Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

STL-BDL has history of filling ~88 seats per day. BDL survived to the last round of STL hub cuts for AA IINM. The different history might explain things. STL is also better for westbound connections at the moment.

Jshank83

Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:12 am

Cubsrule wrote:
STL-BDL has history of filling ~88 seats per day. BDL survived to the last round of STL hub cuts for AA IINM. The different history might explain things. STL is also better for westbound connections at the moment.

Agree with this. I think the westbound connections probably played a big role. It arrives an hour before the west coast bank at STL leaves. BDL-STL continues onto SAN. It was also the highest PDEW without a nonstop from STL (besides JAX which has flights to BLV).

stl07

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:41 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
kingcavalier wrote:

I'm pretty sure it will be WW, considering their next round of expansion is likely to be in the southeast, where they lack a presence currently. It seems FI is only willing to try small market airports where there isn't already a legacy TATL flight (like MCI, CLE, etc).

If BNA wants to establish itself as a tourist market, I think WW would be better.

AAvgeek744

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 am

stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

If BNA wants to establish itself as a tourist market, I think WW would be better.

It's long been a tourist market, but WW would probably be a better fit, particularly for Europeans coming here. The CMA Fest and other things don't typically draw a first class crowd when flying. I had a terrible experience with WW, which is why I prefer FI.

ADrum23

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:05 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

It's long been a tourist market, but WW would probably be a better fit, particularly for Europeans coming here. The CMA Fest and other things don't typically draw a first class crowd when flying. I had a terrible experience with WW, which is why I prefer FI.

Doesn’t matter who comes to me, I’ll probably use BA when I need to go to Europe.

pdt2f

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

What was the terrible experience?

pdt2f

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:29 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Doesn’t matter who comes to me, I’ll probably use BA when I need to go to Europe.

There’s a much better chance I can fly WOW bare chested with cut off jean shorts and an Earnhardt hat without getting booted so I’m on board with the big purple! ;)

stl07

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:29 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

It's long been a tourist market
By establishing I meant as a European tourist destination. Sure, Europeans come today but there is definitely room for expansion.

gsg013

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:46 am

agree lots of Europeans would like to come to nashville... Not really a business destination but I think once they start coming they will like it.

We will see with the 787-8 service starting up this summer on BA. I honestly thing AF or LH could start up a daily flight in the not too distant future. AF could definitely fill up a 787 or 772 and connect people onward. (Especially with the DL joint venture)

ADrum23

Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 am

gsg013 wrote:
agree lots of Europeans would like to come to nashville... Not really a business destination but I think once they start coming they will like it.

We will see with the 787-8 service starting up this summer on BA. I honestly thing AF or LH could start up a daily flight in the not too distant future. AF could definitely fill up a 787 or 772 and connect people onward. (Especially with the DL joint venture)

There is no way AF or LH come anytime soon, especially with daily service (the BA flight won’t even be daily to start with). Those two carriers serve only bigger markets with their metal. If BNA ever sees a flight to Paris, it will be on DL metal, but that is even a stretch considering ATL is so close.

MNAA has indicated they are close to getting an Iceland flight, which means either FI or WW will be coming in the near future. Beyond that, I only see seasonal DE service to FRA. Anything else will have to wait and see exactly what kind of European market BNA is.

AAvgeek744

Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
gsg013 wrote:

There is no way AF or LH come anytime soon, especially with daily service (the BA flight won’t even be daily to start with). Those two carriers serve only bigger markets with their metal. If BNA ever sees a flight to Paris, it will be on DL metal, but that is even a stretch considering ATL is so close.

MNAA has indicated they are close to getting an Iceland flight, which means either FI or WW will be coming in the near future. Beyond that, I only see seasonal DE service to FRA. Anything else will have to wait and see exactly what kind of European market BNA is.

I agree. I don't we'll see another legacy European carrier for awhile. Either FI/WW and DE make the most sense. DI is a kinda sorta maybe? Bring-on JL to NRT!

pdt2f

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:36 am

What are the chances that one of the Mexican Airlines (Aeroméxico, Interjet, Volaris) looks to add BNA over the next 2-3 years? Would Nashville’s business community, Mexican community, and leisure travelers be enough to support a daily to MEX, GDL, or MTY?

AAvgeek744

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 am

pdt2f wrote:
What are the chances that one of the Mexican Airlines (Aeroméxico, Interjet, Volaris) looks to add BNA over the next 2-3 years? Would Nashville’s business community, Mexican community, and leisure travelers be enough to support a daily to MEX, GDL, or MTY?

Volaris might pull off a 3x weekly to GDL. Not sure how much business traffic there is between Nashville and Mexico. I would have expected WN make CUN daily.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

Volaris might pull off a 3x weekly to GDL. Not sure how much business traffic there is between Nashville and Mexico. I would have expected WN make CUN daily.

I would think that Aeroméxico Connect could make a daily E190 to MEX work, both with O&D, connections throughout Mexico, and access to their central and South American route network, but they’re so crowded at MEX that they probably don’t have much room for additional flights.

AAvgeek744

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:13 am

pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

I would think that Aeroméxico Connect could make a daily E190 to MEX work, both with O&D, connections throughout Mexico, and access to their central and South American route network, but they’re so crowded at MEX that they probably don’t have much room for additional flights.

Too close to a Skyteam hub for AM to come in. If BNA gets a flight by a Mexican airline, it'll likely be an LCC carrier (Volaris, Interjet).

southwest1675

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:50 pm

What do you guys think the chances of Nashville actually getting a flight to Japan are? I know it wouldn't be anytime soon, but do you guys see this actually being pulled off? We'll have to see how BA does.

pdt2f

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:38 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
What do you guys think the chances of Nashville actually getting a flight to Japan are? I know it wouldn't be anytime soon, but do you guys see this actually being pulled off? We'll have to see how BA does.

I think we have a good chance if you’re looking 3-5 years in the future. Nashville’s business community would offer good support, the city would presumably offer subsidies and guarantees of profit, and aircraft like the 787-8/9 offer the range and economics to make servicing a smaller place like Nashville profitable. If you see another corporate relocation like Bridgestone or Nissan it’ll happen earlier, but within 5 years it should happen. And more business and tourism links would flow from the flight so it would presumably become more profitable the longer it runs.

flymco753

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:48 pm

It depends on Nashville's Mexican population, does anyone have the numbers as to how big it is? I'd say for a GDL flight at 2 or 3x weekly, there'll have to be at least 4,500 one way to fill an A319. I think with BNA's easy access to ATL and IAH, any Mexico service other than sun city flights are going to be hard to come around for BNA.

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:05 pm

It's worth noting how little penetration of the American South there has been by Mexican carriers, including Volaris and Interjet. Given its SkyTeam partnership with DL, it's no surprise that AM isn't in the region, but even the LCCs have yet to do anything outside of Texas and Florida (and even in Florida their presence is relatively modest).

AAvgeek744

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:19 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

A few years, but I think it could happen. Nissan North American HQ. Bridgestone. A large number of Japanese companies to support Nissan. Japanese consulate. It would be good for maybe 4x weekly flight on JL 788. I pick them since Nashville probably has more OW presence that NH and Star.

AAvgeek744

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

A few years, but I think it could happen. Nissan North American HQ. Bridgestone. A large number of Japanese companies to support Nissan. Japanese consulate. It would be good for maybe 4x weekly flight on JL 788. I pick them since Nashville probably has more OW presence that NH and Star.

ADrum23

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:51 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

My guess is a Tokyo flight comes sometime after the permanent IAB is finished (between 2023-2026ish). JL would indeed be the most likely candidate as of now (I would say 3x a week to start as opposed to 4x), but I think that could depend on whether WN forges a codeshare with NH (if WN were to start forging codeshares). I say NH because JL has a JV with AA so it would be unlikely they could form a codeshare with WN. Personally, I don't care who does it, both are decent airlines.

Of course, my timeline could be moved up if companies such as Nissan and Bridgestone made seat guarantees on a potential BNA-NRT flight (like how RDU-LHR was sustained for many years). If they did that, it would be a huge coup for BNA.

AAvgeek744

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

My guess is a Tokyo flight comes sometime after the permanent IAB is finished (between 2023-2026ish). JL would indeed be the most likely candidate as of now (I would say 3x a week to start as opposed to 4x), but I think that could depend on whether WN forges a codeshare with NH (if WN were to start forging codeshares). I say NH because JL has a JV with AA so it would be unlikely they could form a codeshare with WN. Personally, I don't care who does it, both are decent airlines.

Of course, my timeline could be moved up if companies such as Nissan and Bridgestone made seat guarantees on a potential BNA-NRT flight (like how RDU-LHR was sustained for many years). If they did that, it would be a huge coup for BNA.

I know Butch Spyridon and Mayor Barry have made the pitch to Japanese officials in the past. The mayor is rather toxic at the moment, but that would not stop a Japanese carrier from entering in the future. Theoretically they could come in before the IAB is finished as they would be in and out during the morning and not taking the gate BA would need in the afternoon. Still a pipe dream, but I don't think Nashville is done growing yet.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:26 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I know Butch Spyridon and Mayor Barry have made the pitch to Japanese officials in the past. The mayor is rather toxic at the moment, but that would not stop a Japanese carrier from entering in the future. Theoretically they could come in before the IAB is finished as they would be in and out during the morning and not taking the gate BA would need in the afternoon. Still a pipe dream, but I don't think Nashville is done growing yet.

It's not a pipe dream, it is a real possibility, but its a few years away at the absolute minimum. According to Trudy Carson in an article back in 2014, the PDEW for Nashville to Asia traffic was around 180, and that was over 3 years ago, so it has likely grown since then. If that number is correct, then a nonstop could theoretically work today. However, I think the airports attention has been focused on restoring London service for the last few years, so now that London has been landed and once BNA Vision is well underway, my guess is over the next few years the airport will start making a more serious push for a Tokyo flight (kind of like what RDU is doing for a China flight). I think the 2023-2026 timeframe is a realistic goal, however, various factors could push that date ahead or even back.

Jshank83

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:29 am

Does anyone know what one way traffic to Europe is at the moment? I would guess it would need to surpass that to sniff an Asian flight, seeing not everyone will fly the same airline somewhere. 300 a day? Higher?

TYSflyer

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 am

Looks like the BNA folks are getting one of their wishes. I see an AA 738 on BNA - ORD starting in June!

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:52 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Looks like the BNA folks are getting one of their wishes. I see an AA 738 on BNA - ORD starting in June!

It is about time!!!!

But is that a real booking or just a dummy filler? Has AA released their actual schedule for June yet?

southwest1675

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:03 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

It is about time!!!!

But is that a real booking or just a dummy filler? Has AA released their actual schedule for June yet?

It’s a real booking. I can book the flight right now.

pdt2f

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I did some dummy bookings starting in late June, and all the way to January. It seems they’re doing what they did with the MIA flight, with a morning 738 to ORD and an evening 738 to BNA. The only date I can find where there isn’t one is July 4, but it may have already been booked (or maybe they’re on a pared schedule on the holiday).

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:28 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:

It is about time!!!!

It’s a real booking. I can book the flight right now.

Yes, but is it the actual schedule or is it just a filler? AA has their bookable schedule through January, but beyond a certain month it is usually a dummy schedule.

If this schedule is accurate, there are a few other things of note.

1. It looks like BNA is losing AA mainline to MIA and it is going all E75. Not a big deal if you ask me, MIA is not as important of a AA hub, it is more important we have mainline to the major connecting markets such as DFW, ORD, CLT, PHL, etc.

2. One of the BNA-PHL frequencies is being upgauged to a A319, so it looks like mainline will stay even after the E190s are retired.

3. BNA-DFW is back to all mainline, a mixture of 737's and MD80's.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:30 pm

pdt2f wrote:
I did some dummy bookings starting in late June, and all the way to January. It seems they’re doing what they did with the MIA flight, with a morning 738 to ORD and an evening 738 to BNA. The only date I can find where there isn’t one is July 4, but it may have already been booked (or maybe they’re on a pared schedule on the holiday).

It appears they are doing away with BNA-MIA mainline as of June 8th. Perhaps they are shifting the 737 used there to BNA-ORD?

pdt2f

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

It appears they are doing away with BNA-MIA mainline as of June 8th. Perhaps they are shifting the 737 used there to BNA-ORD?

That’s what I’m thinking. I would guess that Nashville has much more business connection with Chicago than Miami, so they probably wanted the full sized plane for the bigger business market. Much of MIA from BNA is probably leisure traffic, and WN dominates that south Florida leisure flow from Nashville.

Cubsrule

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:46 pm

pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

That’s what I’m thinking. I would guess that Nashville has much more business connection with Chicago than Miami, so they probably wanted the full sized plane for the bigger business market. Much of MIA from BNA is probably leisure traffic, and WN dominates that south Florida leisure flow from Nashville.

Isn’t capacity up on BNA-DFW as 738s replace S80s? That lessens the importance of MIA as a connecting point.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:22 pm

pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

I know I’d rather use WN to FLL than AA to MIA anyday.

With the emergence of the CLT hub, MIA isn’t super important for AA anymore, and ORD indeed has much more traffic. They really should be putting two 737s on the route, a morning and a evening, but I’ll take this for now.

ADrum23

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:27 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
ADrum23 wrote:

Isn’t capacity up on BNA-DFW as 738s replace S80s? That lessens the importance of MIA as a connecting point.

It is, and they’ve added the eighth frequency back. I’ll be curious to see if they keep it at eight 737s once the MD80s are fully retired.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos