Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83

Re: What's Going On In Nashville? - 2018

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:35 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Well, even though I was hoping for something like PDX, it is nice to see something added. Nothing substantial had been announced at BNA since the LHR flight last August.

Given the recent trend of WN adding 2-3 new destinations per year for the last couple of years at BNA, I don't think this will be the last announcement we see. I doubt anything will happen at the schedule extension on March 8th, but perhaps the one after that. IND, PDX and SJC are the three most likely next WN adds at BNA (domestically). An international route may be possible as well.

CUN was added to a couple airports in Oct last year so that update is when I would look for Intl adds.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 am

I am surprised that WN has started ATL with so much frequency. I wouldnt be surprised if it means they might try to reduce nonstop flying from ATL and funnel people through BNA. I dont think the O/D is large enough for that many seats in the market. I wouldnt be surprised if DL does nothing as DL doesnt really target O/D on BNA-ATL. If they do retaliate, I imagine it would be in the form of upgauging.

AAvgeek744

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:07 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
On a different note, who is going to be the carrier for the BNA-MYR flights being advertised on TV? I can't keep up with the charter carriers.

What BNA-MYR flight? This is the first I’m hearing of this.

There's an ad playing promoting Myrtle Beach as a vacation destination. At the end a mention of nonstop flights coming soon.

southwest1675

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:46 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
On a different note, who is going to be the carrier for the BNA-MYR flights being advertised on TV? I can't keep up with the charter carriers.

There's an ad playing promoting Myrtle Beach as a vacation destination. At the end a mention of nonstop flights coming soon.

Hmmm Spirit or Allegiant?
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ADrum23

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:58 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

This is odd, BNA has no flights to MYR. Is the airport going to be announcing something soon?

Does anyone have a link to the ad?

jplatts

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:59 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Frontier recently announced plans to start nonstop service to MYR from DEN, ISP, and TTN. Frontier is already at BNA, and Frontier could possibly add BNA-MYR nonstop service.

southwest1675

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 pm

This is interesting for sure. Give it a few weeks.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AAvgeek744

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

This is odd, BNA has no flights to MYR. Is the airport going to be announcing something soon?

Does anyone have a link to the ad?

I assumed it is a public charter, Swift Air or someone like that. The ad is run by the Myrtle Beach visitors bureau. It's simply says nonstop flights coming soon. I doubt it will be permanent. Someone flew summer charters a couple years ago to MYR. I will say I haven't seen it lately but I have been on the road, so not getting Nashville TV. This is from 'Visit Myrtle Beach'. As you can see, BNA isn't on there, so I don't know who it is or if it is still happening.

https://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/plan/maps-transportation/flights-to-myrtle-beach/

AAvgeek744

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:12 pm

I just came home and turned on the TV. The ad I'd mentioned was playing. While it still says "nonstop service beginning soon", I'm starting to wonder if that is a Nashville-centric ad, or one played in other markets (like the recent F9 additions). Seem odd they would air the ad here if they aren't meaning BNA. I guess we will see.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Apparently a new rumor going around is United will be adding BNA-LAX in the fall.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

ADrum23

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Apparently a new rumor going around is United will be adding BNA-LAX in the fall.

Why? They’d be fourth on that route behind WN, AA and DL. That wouldn’t make a lot sense.

AAvgeek744

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:48 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Why? They’d be fourth on that route behind WN, AA and DL. That wouldn’t make a lot sense.

Considerable travel between the two, especially since Nashville's boom show no signs of slowing down. When DL announced, people scoffed at that two, and it's now 2x daily.

Wasn't so long ago when AA announced they were axing this route and the music industry big wigs became very vocal they wanted an alternative to WN.

ADrum23

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:17 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Considerable travel between the two, especially since Nashville's boom show no signs of slowing down. When DL announced, people scoffed at that two, and it's now 2x daily.

Wasn't so long ago when AA announced they were axing this route and the music industry big wigs became very vocal they wanted an alternative to WN.

BNA-LAX on UA would have to be mainline, and very few cities east of the Mississippi have UA service to LAX (not even ATL has it, that should say something). Plus, UA has the weakest FF base of all the major airlines in Nashville. I'd be beyond shocked if this happened, unless it is part of a bigger UA buildup at LAX. BNA has much bigger fish to fry than another LAX flight.

Midwestindy

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 pm

Looks like BNA-SEA is going 2x daily during the summer, is that new?

Also looks like BNA-ATL is going to be a bloodbath, DL is price matching WN at $69 dollar one-way fares, hopefully WN holds on...
ORD & IND

AA & DL

AAvgeek744

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

BNA-LAX on UA would have to be mainline, and very few cities east of the Mississippi have UA service to LAX (not even ATL has it, that should say something). Plus, UA has the weakest FF base of all the major airlines in Nashville. I'd be beyond shocked if this happened, unless it is part of a bigger UA buildup at LAX. BNA has much bigger fish to fry than another LAX flight.

It'll probably be on a 319. I suspect it's more about the LAX end. Nothing is showing up as bookable. SFO is 2x daily with connections much better for TPAC flyers.

AAvgeek744

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Also looks like BNA-ATL is going to be a bloodbath, DL is price matching WN at $69 dollar one-way fares, hopefully WN holds on...

AS is going double daily this summer. A 739 and Airbus, doesn't say which model, probably a 319. It RON's at BNA so there will be a morning and afternoon flight to SEA.

ADrum23

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I think they will hold on. WN has a large FF base in Nashville, and I think this add is more about serving Nashville than Atlanta. If it were the other way around (WN adding this for Atlanta customers), then no way would it survive.

Granted, I don't see it staying at 5 daily frequencies, it will likely get cut to 4 or maybe even 3 eventually.

ADrum23

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:27 pm

Does anyone know how many gates AA has at BNA now they they gave up C13 & C14 to WN?

pdt2f

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 am

With AS doubling down that increases BNA’s service to SEA to 4x daily, once WN restarts their seasonal flight in June. Insane considering how recently we got ANY service there.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

Jshank83

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:24 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Does anyone know how many gates AA has at BNA now they they gave up C13 & C14 to WN?

southwest1675 wrote:
Yes, AA and WN share C2 as overflow, but my ramper friends say Southwest is picking it up full time now. AA would now have 7 gates.

pdt2f

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 am

ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I don’t think it would be unreasonable. Keep in mind that WN and the legacies don’t always compete for the same fliers. Those J seats are where the money is made and I’m betting there’s plenty of LA based UA loyalist business travelers (especially music industry) who are tired of connecting through DEN and IAH. 6 legacy flights per day (assuming UA runs the route 2x) to a city of LA’s size isn’t insane.
“The sky peoclaims God’s glory - the vault of heaven, the Hand of Him who made it.”

BNA based.

southwest1675

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 am

pdt2f wrote:
With AS doubling down that increases BNA’s service to SEA to 4x daily, once WN restarts their seasonal flight in June. Insane considering how recently we got ANY service there.

Yep. Same this with BOS think we’ll have like 6 or 7 daily there.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

I noticed in enrila's weekly OAG summary, WN is cutting from 3 to 2 LGA flights. A bit surprising, but AA has more frequency on the CR7's (not sure if they are using E75's on this route yet).

pdt2f

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
I noticed in enrila's weekly OAG summary, WN is cutting from 3 to 2 LGA flights. A bit surprising, but AA has more frequency on the CR7's (not sure if they are using E75's on this route yet).

When does that happen? Kind of makes sense, lots of competition on routes to NYC. Hopefully WN will restart the EWR route soon to make up for the capacity. I actually like the little ERJ-145’s that American Eagle runs on that route. The 2-1 seating configuration is awesome when traveling with the wife (no one sitting directly next to us) or alone (an aisle seat and window seat in the same package?!). The smaller overhead bins doesn’t bother me, considering they stow your larger carryon bags underneath right when you get on the plane.

BNA based.

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 pm

pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

When does that happen? Kind of makes sense, lots of competition on routes to NYC. Hopefully WN will restart the EWR route soon to make up for the capacity. I actually like the little ERJ-145’s that American Eagle runs on that route. The 2-1 seating configuration is awesome when traveling with the wife (no one sitting directly next to us) or alone (an aisle seat and window seat in the same package?!). The smaller overhead bins doesn’t bother me, considering they stow your larger carryon bags underneath right when you get on the plane.

His thread says this is for 02/28/18 OAG changes. However, when doing some dummy bookings, I see three n/s all the way into September which is as far out the website will allow it. Might have been an OAG mistake or I read it wrong.. It didn't make sense cutting a flight, they seem to be doing well. I assumed they dropped EWR because it wasn't profitable, and they don't have much gate space there. They are adding some longer range flights from EWR.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

pdt2f wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I don’t think it would be unreasonable. Keep in mind that WN and the legacies don’t always compete for the same fliers. Those J seats are where the money is made and I’m betting there’s plenty of LA based UA loyalist business travelers (especially music industry) who are tired of connecting through DEN and IAH. 6 legacy flights per day (assuming UA runs the route 2x) to a city of LA’s size isn’t insane.

It's about a 725 PDEW market in high season. Even if UA loyalists comprise a quarter of the O&D, which isn't close to true given that WN has nearly 50 percent market share by itself, that's nowhere near enough passengers to fill a couple of narrowbodies per day, and UA doesn't have many sensible connecting opportunities left at LAX.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

skyharborshome

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

I remember as a teenager interning at an office that had government contracts and they would all take the DL BNA-ATL for $899 round trip. They had no choice because that is where the regional office was and when they summoned you had to get down there. They all racked up miles so so fast. Now here we have $69.

The interesting impact will be connecting traffic. PHX-ATL-BNA is not a cheap flight mostly because of that last leg. DL announced PHX-CVG and since BWG is my homestead I considered seeing how much I would save making the longer drive. This development may drop the prices where we finally get some relief. Yes, yes, I was a WN fan for years and the non-stop was nice until we went from 6 options to 2 and now the DL customer-service advantage is worth the extra money. Maybe now the "extra" will be much lower.
Fly CHD!

jplatts

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:47 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

It's about a 725 PDEW market in high season. Even if UA loyalists comprise a quarter of the O&D, which isn't close to true given that WN has nearly 50 percent market share by itself, that's nowhere near enough passengers to fill a couple of narrowbodies per day, and UA doesn't have many sensible connecting opportunities left at LAX.

UA can connect passengers to Hawaii, Australia, and Asia through LAX from destinations in the contiguous U.S. that have nonstop service to LAX on UA since UA serves ITO, HNL, OGG, KOA, LIH, MEL, PVG, SIN, SYD, and NRT nonstop from LAX. UA would also be able to connect passengers onto transpacific international flights operated by its codeshare partners from BNA through LAX if it adds BNA-LAX nonstop service.

Some of the nonstop transpacific routes operated out of LAX by UA's codeshare partners include the following:
  • CA (Air China): LAX-PEK, LAX-SZX
  • NZ (Air New Zealand): LAX-AKL
  • NH (All Nippon Airways): LAX-HND, LAX-NRT
  • OZ (Asiana Airlines): LAX-ICN
  • BR (EVA Air): LAX-TPE

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:12 am

jplatts wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

UA can connect passengers to Hawaii, Australia, and Asia through LAX from destinations in the contiguous U.S. that have nonstop service to LAX on UA since UA serves ITO, HNL, OGG, KOA, LIH, MEL, PVG, SIN, SYD, and NRT nonstop from LAX. UA would also be able to connect passengers onto transpacific international flights operated by its codeshare partners from BNA through LAX if it adds BNA-LAX nonstop service.

Some of the nonstop transpacific routes operated out of LAX by UA's codeshare partners include the following:

Depends on the timing, but I think Hawaii wold not be well timed for connections. All the airlines you mentioned have late night TPAC departures, whereas flights to HI cease earlier in the evening.. An evening arrival at LAX would make for cnx to the * carriers, but to get Hawaii they'd have to make the layover longer. UA started SFO with that type of flight, then added a morning departure. It'll be interesting to see if this happens.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:19 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

His thread says this is for 02/28/18 OAG changes. However, when doing some dummy bookings, I see three n/s all the way into September which is as far out the website will allow it. Might have been an OAG mistake or I read it wrong.. It didn't make sense cutting a flight, they seem to be doing well. I assumed they dropped EWR because it wasn't profitable, and they don't have much gate space there. They are adding some longer range flights from EWR.

How many E75's are being used on AA BNA routes? I am surprised none have been deployed on routes to ORD and LGA/JFK.

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

How many E75's are being used on AA BNA routes? I am surprised none have been deployed on routes to ORD and LGA/JFK.

In March, it looks like E75's are: LGA 3x out of 5, JFK 1x out of 2 (both were ER4's for awhile), CLT 2x out of 8, MIA 1x out of 3. Surprisingly (to me anyway) PHL is 4x E-190 4x out of 5. I suspect those to go E75 or CR9 once the 190's are gone. Only all mainline routes are DFW and LAX.

pdt2f

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

In March, it looks like E75's are: LGA 3x out of 5, JFK 1x out of 2 (both were ER4's for awhile), CLT 2x out of 8, MIA 1x out of 3. Surprisingly (to me anyway) PHL is 4x E-190 4x out of 5. I suspect those to go E75 or CR9 once the 190's are gone. Only all mainline routes are DFW and LAX.

I’m pretty sure AA runs 175’s to JFK already, or at least seasonally. I’ve actually noticed irregular A-319’s being used on their PHI route. Not often though.

BNA based.

pdt2f

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:39 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Depends on the timing, but I think Hawaii wold not be well timed for connections. All the airlines you mentioned have late night TPAC departures, whereas flights to HI cease earlier in the evening.. An evening arrival at LAX would make for cnx to the * carriers, but to get Hawaii they'd have to make the layover longer. UA started SFO with that type of flight, then added a morning departure. It'll be interesting to see if this happens.

Maybe UA is thinking of adding a morning and evening flight to LAX?

BNA based.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:10 am

pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

I’m pretty sure AA runs 175’s to JFK already, or at least seasonally. I’ve actually noticed irregular A-319’s being used on their PHI route. Not often though.

I am mistaken, I thought E75s didn’t exist on AA BNA-JFK/LGA. They do, but there still is some 50 seaters as well........

If I had to make a prediction, I’ll be an A319 is thrown on one of the BNA-PHL frequencies after the E190s are gone.

Hopefully, BNA-ORD will see some upgauges eventually.

I also think we’ll see an E75 or two on BNA-ORD when the new Terminal 3 gates at ORD open.

Jshank83

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:22 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

WN BNA-LGA JUL 4>3

4 to 3 in July not 3 to 2.

southwest1675

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 pm

If Nashville can attract British Airways, I would think we could at least get an AA 737 to ORD haha
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

WN BNA-LGA JUL 4>3

4 to 3 in July not 3 to 2.

Ah, my bad. Thanks for the correction. I know those LGA slot are valuable.

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I am mistaken, I thought E75s didn’t exist on AA BNA-JFK/LGA. They do, but there still is some 50 seaters as well........

If I had to make a prediction, I’ll be an A319 is thrown on one of the BNA-PHL frequencies after the E190s are gone.

I also think we’ll see an E75 or two on BNA-ORD when the new Terminal 3 gates at ORD open.

A 319 to PHL makes sense, especially if it connects with the TATL bank of flights. I'd like to see more CR9's, maybe to ORD. I've always liked T-tailed aircraft, The only question I have left about AA is if they will overfly DFW with a flight to PHX. That could be a flight for a 319.

pdt2f

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:25 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
pdt2f wrote:

A 319 to PHL makes sense, especially if it connects with the TATL bank of flights. I'd like to see more CR9's, maybe to ORD. I've always liked T-tailed aircraft, The only question I have left about AA is if they will overfly DFW with a flight to PHX. That could be a flight for a 319.

Would a PHX flight be doable with a E-175? I know UA runs them (along with CRJ-700’s) into DEN frequently, and occasionally an empty E-175 will fly from the LA area for maintenance, but I’m not sure if it would be possible with pax.

About the UA BNA-LAX rumors, I can think of a couple reasons why UA would want the route:

1. Their Star Alliance pacific partners requested more Nashville access from LAX for connecting pax.
2. The business community in LA and Nashville wanted more options, especially from legacies, for both O&D and transpac flights.
3. Simply to take a bite out of AA, DL, and WN’s pax #’s. If the planes during the best times of year are more than 1/4 empty maybe they think they can drive one of the other legacies off the route, if they’re patient.
4. Maybe they’re just really bullish on BNA’s future and want a bigger piece of the action going forward.

Either way if UA adds LAX and AA adds PHX we will have direct flights to every legacy hub in the lower 48, which is probably a pretty rare feat for any airport.

BNA based.

evank516

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Hopefully WN's ATL-BNA add drives down fares for connections too. I think I'm going to wait until that starts to go visit my sister again. I paid over $700 to fly LGA-ATL-BNA not that long ago. Considered doing LGA-BNA on WN, but the flight times just didn't work for me.

southwest1675

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm

I was told the reason why AA doesn’t do PHX from BNA, is because it would jeopardize their successful LAX flight. You’d lose connecting PAX to PHX, rather than LAX.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:55 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
I was told the reason why AA doesn’t do PHX from BNA, is because it would jeopardize their successful LAX flight. You’d lose connecting PAX to PHX, rather than LAX.

That makes sense. I don't go to LA very often so not sure if Eagle still flies to some of the cities they used to going north of LAX. I would assume the LA flights are mainly O&D.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:33 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

That makes sense. I don't go to LA very often so not sure if Eagle still flies to some of the cities they used to going north of LAX. I would assume the LA flights are mainly O&D.

BNA isn’t missing much not having BNA-PHX on AA. I’d rather have LAX than PHX anyday. There isn’t really much PHX serves that can’t be covered via LAX and DFW. I’m frankly surprised PHX is still even a hub for AA. It is arguably the most pointless in the AA system, it likely is only there because AA can’t fit everything into LAX.

skyharborshome

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

BNA isn’t missing much not having BNA-PHX on AA. I’d rather have LAX than PHX anyday. There isn’t really much PHX serves that can’t be covered via LAX and DFW. I’m frankly surprised PHX is still even a hub for AA. It is arguably the most pointless in the AA system, it likely is only there because AA can’t fit everything into LAX.

You can make that argument for lots of hubs. History is the answer on this one and keep in mind you have two choices if you want non-stops out of PHX to most markets and that is WN or AA. Lots of people connect here and even tho not geographically ideal, the lack of weather delays and quick turnarounds make PHX a great choice. BA loves it here too and keeps adding service.

The one hole in the system does appear to be PHX-BNA and again history comes to play because WN used to run lots of non-stops and America West had no flavor to compete. We all thought AA would add it as a smaller hub connect flight and that of course has not happened. Connecting in CLT or LAX to get to BNA is dumb so most stick to WN or make the short layover in ATL.
Fly CHD!

southwest1675

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:53 pm

AA’s BNA hub was really interesting. It wouldn’t have lasted regardless I’m sure. Supposedly they closed it because lack of local passengers, and early 90s recession. I’m sure it didn’t help RDU was next door, and had MIA down south. I saw an interview years ago with Bob Crandall saying dehubbing Nashville was one of the worst things AA ever did domestically.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
AA’s BNA hub was really interesting. It wouldn’t have lasted regardless I’m sure. Supposedly they closed it because lack of local passengers, and early 90s recession. I’m sure it didn’t help RDU was next door, and had MIA down south. I saw an interview years ago with Bob Crandall saying dehubbing Nashville was one of the worst things AA ever did domestically.

I lived in Dallas during the BNA hub days. When I'd fly into BNA, the concourse was always crowded but that obviously didn't mean it was profitable. As you state RDU didn't help. If the local economy back then was as it is now for Nashville, it would have helped. It was also pre-RJ days so they were flying way too big equipment on some routes like CHA, HSV, TYS and more. At the end they were flying Saabs to DTW, PIT and JAX. If we gte my much desired Japan flight, I will be happy. I suspect we will be hearing a lot about Iceland in the next year or so,

dfdubflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

Ditto. I had lunch with Don Carty a few years ago around the time of the bankruptcy/merger and he told me he feels that shutting the Nashville hub was one of American's greatest mistakes and something he and Crandall very much regretted.

His opinion was that if they had kept BNA in the system they would have had a southeastern hub to allow them to better compete with DL/US. He said basically that they were right on the long-term prospects of Nashville and just got a little spooked too quickly and he said their mistake was doing Raleigh at the same time. He said he felt fine about nixing Saint Louis.

ADrum23

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Ditto. I had lunch with Don Carty a few years ago around the time of the bankruptcy/merger and he told me he feels that shutting the Nashville hub was one of American's greatest mistakes and something he and Crandall very much regretted.

His opinion was that if they had kept BNA in the system they would have had a southeastern hub to allow them to better compete with DL/US. He said basically that they were right on the long-term prospects of Nashville and just got a little spooked too quickly and he said their mistake was doing Raleigh at the same time. He said he felt fine about nixing Saint Louis.

But would they have kept BNA after inheriting CLT after the US merger? CLT is a bigger market and better positioned for a n/s hub.

And why does he regret closing BNA over RDU?

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

But would they have kept BNA after inheriting CLT after the US merger? CLT is a bigger market and better positioned for a n/s hub.

And why does he regret closing BNA over RDU?

That's making an assumption AA would have merged with US. There are a zillion scenarios that could be made had airlines not gotten so big with little competition. Had CO, NW, and US stayed around, the U.S. airline business would look very different. This is why I'm so anti-merger.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 am

I have a pretty good AA BNA hub era photo collection. Definitely different times in the industry, and city. When I fly into CLT, reminds me what BNA could have been.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos