guyanam

Re: Caribbean aviation thread - 2018

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Daily Amerijet flights on the MIA BGI also guarantee prompt delivery of packages. It will be interesting to find out about the composition of passengers on the PTY POS and PTY GEO as this might determine the degree to which travelers other than leisure passengers out of South America will be part of this route. Maybe heritage tourism might fill a few seats as long lost relatives might seek to replenish ties given that Barbadians were the largest group of workers on the Canal.

Given that the route is 2x a mere 150 passengers weekly should be enough to make this route profitable.

GUYAIR707

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:40 pm

guyanam wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
[I suspect when people say this, they usually mean they'd like to see a LI/BW w/o political interference w/o considering the financial impact of privatization. Few will recognize that the govt's are the only entity in the Caribbean both willing and able to withstand the potentially significant losses that these airlines generate. There may be some private entities that have the ability to sustain losses for prolonged periods but they are definitely not doing that willingly. The biggest problem that the region faces is that structurally, the ability to generate respectable profits runs almost completely counter to delivering the kind of service that people want. You could make profits as a small, niche carrier flying tiny turboprops to a handful of islands in one section of the region but that's not what the public at large generally wants from a regional carrier. They want one with the ability to fly them the length and breadth of the region with convenient frequencies which is a recipe for losses as there simply isn't sufficient traffic throughout the region to do that profitably consistently.

I think that various governments have non commercial reasons to maintain these carriers. For instance one might query whether POS needs its own airline as it is a viable market so that AA, B6, WS, and AC can and will increase service if BW were to be shut down. However BW does generate indirect benefits for T&T with a sizeable and reasonably well paid employee base and maintaining the levels of aviation related skills that the country has had over the 70+ years that it has had an airline based there.

KX clearly provides a development role for GCM, building new routes that show potential and ensuring competition on other routes seen as strategic to the Cayman Islands. They receive government subsidies as the Cayman gov't deems necessary. When Ivan wiped out GCM and carriers were reluctant to return it was KX which provided valuable connections to the outside world to prevent the collapse of its offshore finance and tourism sectors.

LI is clearly a utility. All one needs to do is to sit down all day at BGI and see the planes taking off to other parts of the Eastern Caribbean to see that it actually functions like the "Greyhound of the Eastern Caribbean". Travel within this region is often lumpy. Many times flights take off with as few as 20 passengers, but if there is a carnival, cricket or a music festival, or Easter then people are literally fighting for seats, so its hard for this to be purely commercial. At times it maybe something as simple as someone hosting a big "fete" and people arriving from neighboring islands to attend, or some big religious event, or a youth camp, etc. Eastern Caribbean people are way more socially integrated than they are aware of. Traffic isn't always predictably seasonal yet people expect easy transportation around the region.

LI has already eliminated most of its least profitable routes. Irma/Maria has led to reduced service on the northern end of its routes where some might argue that traffic was declining and that its planes were too large. Carriers like Winair, Inter Caribbean, VI Airlink and Air Sunshine are filling the gap for travel within the northeast Caribbean leaving LI to connect some islands to its destinations further south where populations are larger, meaning a better use of its ATR planes.

I bet that UP has similar challenges on its intra Bahamas routes.

The best that one can demand is that the airlines are run as efficiently as possible with minimum irrational gov't interference. And that some arrangement be made to offer direct subsidies on "social routes" an obvious example being the TAB bridge where fares are lower than would otherwise be the case. And that competent management be put in place.

LI 521 on Monday BGI-OGL had 36 pax.

guyanam

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
[

Meaning 32 empty seats. But if some church has a revival convention on Monday the flight might be over booked.

And this could be in BGI or one of the islands further down the line. Even though Jan/Feb together with Sept/Oct are the worst months for intra Caribbean travel, that is aside from the pre Lenten Carnival islands.

Brickell305

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 am

guyanam wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
[

Meaning 32 empty seats. But if some church has a revival convention on Monday the flight might be over booked.

And this could be in BGI or one of the islands further down the line. Even though Jan/Feb together with Sept/Oct are the worst months for intra Caribbean travel, that is aside from the pre Lenten Carnival islands.

I think LI’s 72’s are weight restricted out of OGL so they can’t seat a full 68 pax on that flight. Can’t remember what the maximum is on those flights though.

gunnerman

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:58 pm

I couldn't help thinking of the 66-seat ATR 72s which Executive Airlines dba American Eagle operated from SJU, the longest route being to POS - 608 miles compared with LI's 463 miles from BGI to OGL. Executive's ATRs must have been on the limit.

guyanam

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:41 pm

gunnerman wrote:
I couldn't help thinking of the 66-seat ATR 72s which Executive Airlines dba American Eagle operated from SJU, the longest route being to POS - 608 miles compared with LI's 463 miles from BGI to OGL. Executive's ATRs must have been on the limit.

I think that OGL might be a runway length problem.

BW600

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

BW has announced 1w JFK-SVD starting March 14th
POS TAB BGI NAS MIA MCO JFK LAS SFO SEA YYZ YUL YOW YEG YYC LGW AMS NCE CDG

guyanam

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:23 pm

I guess BW is seeing how much business they are doing on their POS SVD route that originates in JFK. Running a 1X nonstop keeps B6 out as this isn't a route that will generate year round volume so competing head to head isn't going to happen. This because the main island of SVG isn't leisure oriented and the smaller islands which are will continued to accessed out of BGI, which offers vastly more connected opportunities than SVD ever will.

Brickell305

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:37 pm

guyanam wrote:
I guess BW is seeing how much business they are doing on their POS SVD route that originates in JFK. Running a 1X nonstop keeps B6 out as this isn't a route that will generate year round volume so competing head to head isn't going to happen. This because the main island of SVG isn't leisure oriented and the smaller islands which are will continued to accessed out of BGI, which offers vastly more connected opportunities than SVD ever will.

It likely keeps AA out of MIA away as well as that would have been heavily dependent on connections out of the NYC area. The main benefit to BW is that they can backfill the plane with pax from POS and they should be able to generate decent yields on the pax out of SVD as they will surely maintain a monopoly for the foreseeable future. I'd be interested in seeing AC's numbers out of Toronto now that the Christmas peak is over.

dominicl316

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:19 pm

I know this is a long shot, but could B6 do well on a SJU-SVD with their E190? Considering the connecting opportunities out of SJU, any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

gunnerman

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:45 pm

guyanam wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

A fully-laden ATR 72 needs a runway length more than OGL's 4,200 feet. However, I believe that LI's load factors result in MTOW being reached infrequently enough to justify the switch from GEO.

yellowtail

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:49 pm

dominicl316 wrote:
I know this is a long shot, but could B6 do well on a SJU-SVD with their E190? Considering the connecting opportunities out of SJU, any reason why this wouldn't be a good idea?

Maybe the market isn't big enough?
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Brickell305

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 pm

dominicl316 wrote:

Back when Eagle had a hub at SJU, they flew old SVD with a tag on to TAB. It didn't last. LIAT used to fly (old) SVD-SJU every year around Christmas. That did not last either. Very small market there.

gunnerman

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:09 pm

dominicl316 wrote:

St. Vincent and the Grenadines had only 56,000 stay over visitors in 2017. The country does not have the number of hotel rooms to attract many more visitors and flights.

guyanam

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 am

dominicl316 wrote:

No. If they couldn't do well out of SXM and haven't expanded their routes beyond SJU into the deeper Caribbean (that is aside from the neighboring DR/USVI) I don't see how. They don't even have the advantage of VFR connections out of the USVI as the Vincy population there is small.

guyanam

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 am

gunnerman wrote:
dominicl316 wrote:

St. Vincent and the Grenadines had only 56,000 stay over visitors in 2017. The country does not have the number of hotel rooms to attract many more visitors and flights.

SVD lacks an advantage of both SKB and GND, two other small Eastern Caribbean markets. Both benefit tremendously from the year round travel generated by the US affiliated offshore universities. SVD lacks this.

I don't see B6 taking a chance as NYC is an O&D market. Maybe AA might as they can possibly dependent on travel from other points in the USA in addition to O&D between FL and SVD. And this will be with hefty subsidies. I bet that BW isn't running that flight free either.

guyanam

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:47 am

gunnerman wrote:
guyanam wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

A fully-laden ATR 72 needs a runway length more than OGL's 4,200 feet. However, I believe that LI's load factors result in MTOW being reached infrequently enough to justify the switch from GEO.

The CARICOM Secretariat, literally a stones throw from OGL, guarantees LI OGL route should perform at least up to expectations. I suspect that only travel to KIN. NAS and POS will be done thru GEO. This entity will generate decent transportation flows year round.

baje427

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 am

I could see AA doing the MIA-SVD route with the ERJ175 and upgrading to the A319 over time.

gunnerman

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:07 pm

The question is: how much support will AA want to be persuaded to launch this route?

LimaFoxTango

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
guyanam wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
[

I think LI’s 72’s are weight restricted out of OGL so they can’t seat a full 68 pax on that flight. Can’t remember what the maximum is on those flights though.

Though weight restricted under certain conditions, the LI's -72 can quite comfortably take 68 pax plus their bags ex OGL. I don't know why people think the ATR is such an underperformer. True, it's no Q400 in the performance department, but it certainly does the job. The -200 series 72's in which Executive operated had less powerful engines than the -600 does today.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

baje427

Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:59 pm

gunnerman wrote:
The question is: how much support will AA want to be persuaded to launch this route?

I am sure they will find some incentive to offer AA landing a major carrier is probably a priority given the costs associated with the new airport.

gunnerman

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm

The subsidies can be high. Figures are not normally made publicly available, but in 1999 St Lucia, Grenada and Antigua baulked at stumping up another US$1.5m a year for AA to keep the 727 flights from MIA.

guyanam

Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:57 am

[quote="gunnerman"]The subsidies can be high. Figures are not normally made publicly available, but in 1999 St Lucia, Grenada and Antigua baulked at stumping up another US$1.5m a year for AA to keep the 727 flights from MIA.[/quote

The SVG Prime Minister admitted that subsidies are paid/will be paid for airline service to that island. He claims that BGI pays out amounts in excess of $20 million in "marketing support". I do think that there is a difference between sharing destination promotion costs with a carrier and bribing an airline to cover empty seats or insufficient passengers.

gunnerman

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Virtually every Caribbean government will never accept words like subsidise let alone bribe, yet they have signed Minimum Revenue Guarantee contracts with major carriers which kick in when load factors fall below specified levels. They much prefer to say "marketing support" which covers everything from bribery to genuine joint marketing of their destinations.

baje427

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I noticed BGI is not yet available for booking on Copa's website I am definitely interested in the type of pricing for this route.

gunnerman

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:02 pm

The PTY-BGI flights start on 17 July 2018 on Tuesdays and Fridays.

time2lyme

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Heard on the radio yesterday that Caribbean were adding some rediculous number of flights (28??) and seats to the airbridge. Anyone have the real numbers?
Is this permenent or temporary?
I thought they were struggling to meet current commitments, where are they getting the aircraft from?

Also, didn't they get a new CEO? Not heard anything about him and what the future plans for the airline are. Anyone know?

gunnerman

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

The Port Authority of Trinidad and Tobago pulled the certificate of the unreliable T&T Express for safety reasons, leaving CAL as the only means of travelling between Trinidad and Tobago since 8 February until at least this weekend.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20180215/business/ferry-passengers-continue-to-fly

2travel2know2

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 pm

gunnerman wrote:

In the meanwhile, GCM and PBM await CM.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:48 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Very similar schedule to PTY BZE. perhaps CM has found out that the Tue/Fri work for business as well as tourism markets. makes sense.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Kilgen

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 pm

baje427 wrote:
I noticed BGI is not yet available for booking on Copa's website I am definitely interested in the type of pricing for this route.

I think they just made them available.
Air transportation charges: Panama (PTY), Panama - Bridgetown (BGI), Barbados, Bridgetown (BGI), Barbados - Panama (PTY), Panama
1 ADULT 12+. Tuesday, July 17 2018, 09:30 AM - Tuesday, July 24 2018, 03:00 PM. USD 319.00
Fuel Surcharges USD 35.00
Taxes (Approximate) USD 111.50
TOTAL: USD 465.50

sierraxray1493

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Any idea when Copa will return to PJM?

trintocan

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello all, it seems as though 2018 is full of action as far as Caribbean aviation is concerned. Once again the POS - TAB airbridge is a problem - but this is a complex issue and requires its own post. I have noticed on Flight Radar 24 that, as mentioned in the old thread, AA now use the 737-MAX8 to POS. My thoughts are, is this not an upgrade of equipment? While the plane offers 10 fewer seats than the A321 previously used it does have the WiFi capability - and this is the future of in flight entertainment. By offering this to POS AA is likely trying to see whether this innovation is competitive in a tried and trusted market with a strong business element. I can see BGI getting this in time too. With 2 daily flights to POS the reduction in seats is perhaps less of an issue than the introduction of this product while maintaining the service frequency which is another key selling point.

As for the arguments as to whether SVD was right to build Argyle, I think they were right. Major infrastructure projects are not cheap at any time but they take the country forward in a big way and will bring benefits in the medium to long term. It is not always easy to look that far forward, especially from a politician’s point of view but the overall dividends will be great. SVD may for now be served mainly by LI along with BW and the seasonal AC Rouge but give it some time. The presence of the airport will help stimulate tourism development. One hopes that they learn from experiences elsewhere and proceed with such developments in a sustainable manner.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Brickell305

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm

trintocan wrote:
Hello all, it seems as though 2018 is full of action as far as Caribbean aviation is concerned. Once again the POS - TAB airbridge is a problem - but this is a complex issue and requires its own post. I have noticed on Flight Radar 24 that, as mentioned in the old thread, AA now use the 737-MAX8 to POS. My thoughts are, is this not an upgrade of equipment? While the plane offers 10 fewer seats than the A321 previously used it does have the WiFi capability - and this is the future of in flight entertainment. By offering this to POS AA is likely trying to see whether this innovation is competitive in a tried and trusted market with a strong business element. I can see BGI getting this in time too. With 2 daily flights to POS the reduction in seats is perhaps less of an issue than the introduction of this product while maintaining the service frequency which is another key selling point.

Trintocan.

As someone who has flown the 7M8 on POS-MIA, I can tell you it is the furthest thing from an upgrade imaginable. The only seats with decent pitch are the exits and the front row of economy. There is no bulkhead between business/main cabin. The WiFi didn't work the entire trip and the lav is a sardine can. The only benefit was the "new plane smell".

trintocan

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Well done BGI on the new CM service coming later this year. Personally I think this route will work well for both BGI and CM. Along with O&D traffic (shoppers maybe?) the introduction of new connections would redound to BGI’s benefit.

I only just learned that AV cancelled their BGI route some months ago due to the spat with Venezuela after AV stopped flying to CCS. Over the years the relationship between Venezuela and Colombia has had many ups and downs and, when things have soured between the two, air services are among the earliest things to be affected. AV have historically done very well out of Venezuela and that has caused a bit of friction, especially as Venezuelan carriers have struggled for the last 2 decades or so. In recent times the leadership in Venezuela have been hostile to airlines pulling out of the country (needless to say, many have done so recently) with edicts to the effect that they should not be allowed to return to the country. The reaction to the AV withdrawal, with the fighters scrambled against an AV Dreamliner and all, is an extreme reaction which clearly has roots in past grudges.

So CM is clearly taking advantage of a market gap which AV had been initially swifter to fill. Best wishes to them.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

trintocan

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

As someone who has flown the 7M8 on POS-MIA, I can tell you it is the furthest thing from an upgrade imaginable. The only seats with decent pitch are the exits and the front row of economy. There is no bulkhead between business/main cabin. The WiFi didn't work the entire trip and the lav is a sardine can. The only benefit was the "new plane smell".

Well, if you have not already done so, you should feed this back to AA. I have not flown with them in over 20 years and so I am unaware of their current service standards.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

baje427

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:28 pm

AA will be downgrading the MIA-BGI route to the Max 8 as well I must say the A321 was a vast improvement over the 757 with the IFE the inflight wifi does not work much after the Bahamas.It also works out to around 2500 seats less in a year this coupled with the basic economy I can see a lot of Bajans shifting to B6.

jmdc861

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 pm

AA will be downgrading the MIA-BGI route to the Max 8 as well I must say the A321 was a vast improvement over the 757 with the IFE the inflight wifi does not work much after the Bahamas.It also works out to around 2500 seats less in a year this coupled with the basic economy I can see a lot of Bajans shifting to B6.

The problem with B6 to South Florida (Fort Lauderdale) is that they leave BGI at 630am. 430am Check-in ?! Give me a break!

gunnerman

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Actually, it's 0700 after an overnight stop. But why B6 just doesn't do a turnaround the same day is unknown to me as the crew would be well within hours.

beeweel15

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:36 pm

jmdc861 wrote:

The problem with B6 to South Florida (Fort Lauderdale) is that they leave BGI at 630am. 430am Check-in ?! Give me a break!

Thats a great time. Get into FLL before noon is great especially for connections. What will be better as someone mentioned a turn around is a 11pm or mid night departure to BGI arriving at 0430am departing at 0630am back to FLL that give passengers especially traders to get a full day shopping then leave FLL by mid night.

baje427

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm

beeweel15 wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

Thats a great time. Get into FLL before noon is great especially for connections. What will be better as someone mentioned a turn around is a 11pm or mid night departure to BGI arriving at 0430am departing at 0630am back to FLL that give passengers especially traders to get a full day shopping then leave FLL by mid night.

The aircraft currently arrives from JFK around 6 am for the 7:30 am departure B6 does not overnight in BGI they did initially in December but that has changed.

baje427

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm

Kilgen wrote:
baje427 wrote:

I think they just made them available.
Air transportation charges: Panama (PTY), Panama - Bridgetown (BGI), Barbados, Bridgetown (BGI), Barbados - Panama (PTY), Panama
1 ADULT 12+. Tuesday, July 17 2018, 09:30 AM - Tuesday, July 24 2018, 03:00 PM. USD 319.00
Fuel Surcharges USD 35.00
Taxes (Approximate) USD 111.50
TOTAL: USD 465.50

I checked out some fares for November at those prices USD 600+ I am not sure how successful Copa will be Bajans will opt for the known MIA, FLL and JFK which if booked early will all be cheaper. This pricing is not competitive if they are hoping to generate shopping traffic from BGI.

Brickell305

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

beeweel15 wrote:
jmdc861 wrote:

Except that a decent chunk of that route are also tourists who have no desire in either waiting from 6:00 am or whenever they get to the hotel until 3:00 pm when their room is ready or paying for an extra night at said hotel only to begin using it at 6:00 am the following day. I do agree with you that the change in schedule was likely done to maximize connections at the FLL hub in both directions.

gunnerman

Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm

interCaribbean Airways (JY) will inaugurate on Mondays, Thursdays and Sunday EIS-DOM and DOM-SLU flights from 22 March 2018 using the Embraer 120. There is just enough time for passengers to get connecting flights at DOM in both directions. Only JY will be on the routes.

It's good to see Dominica get more flights.

http://intercaribbean.com/%20interCaribbean-announces-Dominica-to-Tortola-and-St-Lucia-flights/

303dk

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 am

LIAT is announcing their return to STT this week. Must have figured out the customs/TSA issues

guyanam

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 am

Also the drastic reduction of their northern routes because of the hurricanes has left their planes under utilized so they needed more routes. I don't see them returning to SDQ so STT seems reasonable.

303dk

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:26 am

[url][/url]
303dk wrote:
LIAT is announcing their return to STT this week. Must have figured out the customs/TSA issues

Details: ANU-STT. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Flights start in June and they got landing fees waived for a year. I assume times won’t be near to when TSA and customs close.

xdlx

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am

303dk wrote:
xdlx wrote:
The only way Seaborne could resemble the shadow of Executive.... is to go beyond 12-16 frames and create a feedstock into SJU.

They also would need international to international visa-free connections. The airport has room to build it, but I don’t see it happening.

SJU could recuperate some of long lost luster if they RE-build the terminal like a mini DXB with an extensive DUTY FREE SHOPPING AREA / VISA FREE CONNECTION HALL
however under current US gov administration that will not happen.

303dk

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:58 pm

xdlx wrote:
303dk wrote:
xdlx wrote:
The only way Seaborne could resemble the shadow of Executive.... is to go beyond 12-16 frames and create a feedstock into SJU.

They also would need international to international visa-free connections. The airport has room to build it, but I don’t see it happening.

SJU could recuperate some of long lost luster if they RE-build the terminal like a mini DXB with an extensive DUTY FREE SHOPPING AREA / VISA FREE CONNECTION HALL
however under current US gov administration that will not happen.

More duty free? The shopping areas are already huge and you’re forced through the mall to get from TSA to the gates

Brickell305

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:20 pm

303dk wrote:
[url][/url]
303dk wrote:

Details: ANU-STT. Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Flights start in June and they got landing fees waived for a year. I assume times won’t be near to when TSA and customs close.

Good to see LI returning to the USVI. I thought it was ridiculous that they couldn’t make it work when it was dropped.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos