RL757PVD

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN) - 2018

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:27 pm

iyerhari wrote:
It will be interesting to see how long any of the DY flights from and to PVD will survive even in 2019. DY is concentrating on two core destinations from BOS - LGW and CDG and that is a good shot for them.

DUB route is consistently solid, so perhaps that will be expanded to compensate. But lets be honest, PVD-EDI or even BOS-EDI is not a winter TATL market.

Does EI even run BOS-SNN in Jan/Feb?
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

iyerhari

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
It will be interesting to see how long any of the DY flights from and to PVD will survive even in 2019. DY is concentrating on two core destinations from BOS - LGW and CDG and that is a good shot for them.

DUB route is consistently solid, so perhaps that will be expanded to compensate. But lets be honest, PVD-EDI or even BOS-EDI is not a winter TATL market.

BOS-SNN is seasonal - barring JFK most of the US stations who fly into SNN (PHL, JFK on DL) are seasonal. I do not know if they run in Jan and Feb. sorry. The reason I brought up this pt. is we had discussed this when these flights were launched as to how long they would sustain. DY looks to change their market strategy from BOS to fly into large stations - CDG, LGW and if they succeed maybe that's the answer for them.

33lspotter

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:40 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

Yes.

PVDCMHOZ

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:06 pm

It should come as no surprise that some of these routes will not work year-round from PVD. Heck, some of these routes are not even flown year-round (or at all) from JFK or BOS. Some of the routes were very odd-ball routes. I can see DUB staying around (maybe even increased to daily) and I would not be surprised, in time, if LGW and/or CDG were tried on the MAX.

RL757PVD

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:09 pm

Given their financial situation they have to focus on what works, and especially in the off season considering they cant balance their network to warm and sunny destinations as much as others can.

Focusing on and growing PVD-DUB and BOS-LGW makes sense.

For a market like PVD, only large/connecting or ethnic markets will have a chance in the winter months.

LGW or STN will be served out of PVD within 5 once Terminal E costs increase by 72% ;-)

uconn99

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 pm

February 2018 Bradley International Airport Passengers-

Total Passengers-

February 2018- 464,795 +6.2%
February 2017- 437,459

Domestic by Airline February 2018-

American- 121,995
Southwest- 110,418
Delta- 79,274
jetBlue- 63,885
United- 45,414
Spirit- 35,975
Onejet- 289

International by Airline February 2018-

February 2018 total International- 7,545

Air Canada- 3,444
Aer Lingus- 2,105
Delta (CUN flight)- 1,219
Norwegian- 777

uconn99

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Looks like AA continues to lead the way at BDL in 2018 as the #1 carrier. Lets see if that stays throughout the year.

B595

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 am

Not as interesting as today's PWM/Frontier news, but for the BTV afficionados, it was a mild but pleasant surprise to see that as of today AA has brought mainline back on the PHL-BTV route ((2x/day on E190s). It's been a very long time since US/AA had mainline in BTV - perhaps a decade. I believe the last time was 1x/day on an A319, again on PHL-BTV. So now all three legacies that serve BTV (UA,DL,AA) offer one or more mainline flights.

LotsaRunway

Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:57 pm

B595 wrote:
Not as interesting as today's PWM/Frontier news, but for the BTV afficionados, it was a mild but pleasant surprise to see that as of today AA has brought mainline back on the PHL-BTV route ((2x/day on E190s). It's been a very long time since US/AA had mainline in BTV - perhaps a decade. I believe the last time was 1x/day on an A319, again on PHL-BTV. So now all three legacies that serve BTV (UA,DL,AA) offer one or more mainline flights.

BTV is quietly doing very well this spring. Two UA A320s RON for ORD and EWR departures, an A319 to ATL, and now two E190's to PHL. I don't know how long the E190s will last as AA seems to be experimenting with short term deployments. MHT had 2xE190s to PHL for a few months right before BTV got them and they appear to be heading back to MHT during the summer.

Regarding PWM, look for it to surpass MHT in passenger numbers in 2018. Even without counting the new F9 service, PWM will have more mainline than MHT for the first time in decades.

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Apparently ORH is announcing a new airline on Monday...

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/ ... rt_is.html

Elite? Perhaps United who has been on a small airport kick lately?

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:36 pm

uconn99 wrote:

Total Passengers-

Air Canada- 3,444
Aer Lingus- 2,105
Norwegian- 777

Does that equate to a 25% load for DY? (2x weekly?) ouch
What was the EI frequency? That's only 1,052 each way for the entire month. At 3x weekly that's 87 pax per flight... also ouch.

NickolayAv

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:47 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

If its a major airline like described in the article I would guess United Express if it's a small airline, could Cape Air be a possibility?
Good for ORH though, it's been growing pretty well recently.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

georgiabill

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Perhaps DL to DTW from ORH 2x daily on a CRJ-7 or AA to PHL

iyerhari

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm

My guess would be DL considering Massport is embarking on projects for them to have Terminal A to them at BOS - I do not know and I am just speculating :) Are there any destinations served by DL from DTW but not served at ATL? It could be UA ORH-EWR possibly. Good news for ORH.

maximairways

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:58 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

Total Passengers-

Air Canada- 3,444
Aer Lingus- 2,105
Norwegian- 777

What was the EI frequency? That's only 1,052 each way for the entire month. At 3x weekly that's 87 pax per flight... also ouch.

I think that's only enplanements.

LotsaRunway

Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:59 pm

I'll guess ERJ's to PHL. CR7s to DTW seems like a big jump and UA doesn't seem to like New England too much outside of certain locations.

iyerhari

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:04 pm

maximairways wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:
uconn99 wrote:

Total Passengers-

Air Canada- 3,444
Aer Lingus- 2,105
Norwegian- 777

No, 777 is both enplanements + deplanements (430+347 = 777). DY seats per flights = 186 (31*6) and 2 flights per week which equates to 1488 total seats for the month of Feb. Is this correct? The LF comes to 52.22% (ouch!). Please correct me if I am incorrect.

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:11 pm

maximairways wrote:

The rest of that post was total passengers so I think that's total, meanwhile the Delta CUN flight was like 95% full the whole month based on those #'s

RL757PVD

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

186 *2 directions * 2 flights per week * 4 weeks = 2,976 seats = 26.10% Load

iyerhari

Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you. That is really bad...

jplatts

Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm

iyerhari wrote:
My guess would be DL considering Massport is embarking on projects for them to have Terminal A to them at BOS - I do not know and I am just speculating :) Are there any destinations served by DL from DTW but not served at ATL? It could be UA ORH-EWR possibly. Good news for ORH.

DL serves APN, PEK, ERI, ESC, IMT, AZO, LAN, MQT, CWA, NGO, SWF, YOW, PLN, MBS, CIU, and SCE nonstop from DTW but not from ATL. DL also only has seasonal nonstop to ELM and TVC from ATL, but has year-round nonstop service to ATL from ELM. DL doesn't currently serve PVG nonstop from ATL, but DL will be resuming PVG-ATL nonstop service on May 20th.

SCHATC422

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

G4? That was my guess until the words 'major airline' were just mentioned. Has to be DL to DTW if you ask me.... unless they want to bark up B6's tree to JFK?
Former WN Ramp Rat
Current ATC

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 pm

AA really should start BTV-ORD

United charges crazy premiums for the non-stops

B595

Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:29 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
AA really should start BTV-ORD

United charges crazy premiums for the non-stops

Matter of fact, they are starting, in June I think. 2x/day E175.

33lspotter

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 pm

PHLCVGAMTK wrote:
PWM has a runway-length problem for TATL. It's not entirely prohibitively short, but it means a tradeoff between a smaller plane (NEO or MAX) that has to take a payload restriction to get off the runway, or a larger plane with better short-field performance that can't be filled. Not a good circle to have to square, at least if you're an airline that likes making money. FI or WW might be able to make it to KEF without a restriction; D8 or EI to DUB or SNN is less likely. I'll leave it to better spreadsheets to do the precise calculations.

Not suggesting that PWM is in line for TATL, but I just looked at ORK and realized that the MAX has been taking off from their runway which is a good 200 feet shorter than PWM's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they have been payload-restricted and -- given that a TATL takeoff from PWM wouldn't be battling the jetstream but rather be going with it -- perhaps an eastbound PWM departure to W. Europe wouldn't be payload restricted.

evank516

Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:28 pm

jplatts wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

DL serves APN, PEK, ERI, ESC, IMT, AZO, LAN, MQT, CWA, NGO, SWF, YOW, PLN, MBS, CIU, and SCE nonstop from DTW but not from ATL. DL also only has seasonal nonstop to ELM and TVC from ATL, but has year-round nonstop service to ATL from ELM. DL doesn't currently serve PVG nonstop from ATL, but DL will be resuming PVG-ATL nonstop service on May 20th.

You can add ITH and BGM to this list as well.

DL to ATL can't be ruled out, but I'm leaning towards ERJs to PHL too. Especially since most destinations (in Florida at least) can be reached with the new ORH-JFK flight on B6. Some exceptions apply of course.

uconn99

Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 pm

All numbers above for BDL are total pax. I believe EI was running BDL-DUB only 2x weekly for February and going back to 3x weekly in March until daily in late spring.

As for Norwegian, I am sure DY ending BDL announcement didn't help bookings at the end as the loads were generally fair especially in the summer.

Delta's CUN flight has been about the same for a while now, loads generally in the high 80's and 90's.

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:31 pm

Not suggesting that PWM is in line for TATL, but I just looked at ORK and realized that the MAX has been taking off from their runway which is a good 200 feet shorter than PWM's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they have been payload-restricted and -- given that a TATL takeoff from PWM wouldn't be battling the jetstream but rather be going with it -- perhaps an eastbound PWM departure to W. Europe wouldn't be payload restricted.

I’ll never say never, I don’t see Tran-Atlantic coming to PWM. Just not enough demand. PWM hasn’t even managed to atttact and keep a non-stop to MCO with B6 or Southwest/Air Tran over the last 12 years because the daily O/D numbers don’t demand it.

While there’s demand for domestic routes to and from Maine, most Mainers aren’t much of international travelers. A lot of Maine people don’t leave New England for years at a time, (I know adults who’ve never gone further than New York State) and Maine is one of the poorest states, as well as the state with the oldest average population. Good paying jobs are few here and businesses are heavily reliant on the three month tourist season to bring in most of the money.

Places like PVD and BDL are closer to major population centers with higher incomes and more people who travel internationally.

Norwegian considered PSM for flights to Ireland, but declined it for SWF. Just not enough demand North of the Boston metro. The Northern New Englanders who want to go to Europe will just go to BOS, or make a connection from PWM. The JFK flight on Delta is cheap with B6 on the route and international connections out of PWM no longer cost three times BOS or JFK/EWR like it use to be before LCC’s arrived 12 years ago.

I never go to BOS anymore really. Maybe twice in the last ten years. PWM is always the same price or cheaper than going to BOS for me.

33lspotter

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I’ll never say never, I don’t see Tran-Atlantic coming to PWM. Just not enough demand. PWM hasn’t even managed to atttact and keep a non-stop to MCO with B6 or Southwest/Air Tran over the last 12 years because the daily O/D numbers don’t demand it.

While there’s demand for domestic routes to and from Maine, most Mainers aren’t much of international travelers. A lot of Maine people don’t leave New England for years at a time, (I know adults who’ve never gone further than New York State) and Maine is one of the poorest states, as well as the state with the oldest average population. Good paying jobs are few here and businesses are heavily reliant on the three month tourist season to bring in most of the money.

Places like PVD and BDL are closer to major population centers with higher incomes and more people who travel internationally.

Norwegian considered PSM for flights to Ireland, but declined it for SWF. Just not enough demand North of the Boston metro. The Northern New Englanders who want to go to Europe will just go to BOS, or make a connection from PWM. The JFK flight on Delta is cheap with B6 on the route and international connections out of PWM no longer cost three times BOS or JFK/EWR like it use to be before LCC’s arrived 12 years ago.

I never go to BOS anymore really. Maybe twice in the last ten years. PWM is always the same price or cheaper than going to BOS for me.

Oh, I don't think it'll happen, either, and I think I've been quite clear about that. I'm only raising this point because someone raised the issue of runway length, which I don't think is as significant of a problem as suggested given ORK's situation and the fact that TATL flights originating on this side of the pond don't need as much fuel as their counterparts, all other things equal.

MHT and PSM would be more likely, but even those two are less desirable than PVD and BDL (which perhaps explains why the latter two see Norwegian while the second listed was passed over). The first, meanwhile, doesn't even have full-time customs IIRC, so that's a non-starter until that changes.

As for PWM, the only potential corporate link would be IDEXX which has offices in the Netherlands and Western Europe but even that does not have O+D numbers to support a "corporate link" a la RDU and LHR with GSK. That being said, while it's not just about Maine being not overly adventurous -- it's also about those coming from across the pond -- there's no real incentive for Europeans to go to Maine or New Hampshire when you can get a direct flight from BOS.

You are correct that the O+D numbers simply do not support much beyond what PWM currently has, although I think they have done exceptionally well in expanding (and retaining) with services like WN (and even B6, which I didn't think would last long at all) in recent years. I have not been to PWM since 2010, as I have been in the Greater BOS area the majority of that time. I would imagine PWM is quite a bit cheaper than it used to be -- I remember it being an arm and a leg to go pretty much anywhere -- although given the plethora of non-stops I can get from here I have no real reason to go elsewhere.

cheapgreek

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:58 am

NickolayAv wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

If its a major airline like described in the article I would guess United Express if it's a small airline, could Cape Air be a possibility?

I hope its more than Cape air, too small of an operation to make a difference in the airports attractiveness for area travelers. I see AA with 3 dailies to PHL.

VS4ever

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 pm

cheapgreek wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

I hope its more than Cape air, too small of an operation to make a difference in the airports attractiveness for area travelers. I see AA with 3 dailies to PHL.

One of the comments on the article suggested Aa using Piedmont for the route. We shall see. Massport definitely trying to get their investments back right now that’s for sure.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Fex180

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 pm

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I’ll never say never, I don’t see Tran-Atlantic coming to PWM. Just not enough demand.

As much of a shot in the dark as it is, I know that a few people in the growing Icelandic business community here in Portland are pushing hard for some kind of PWM-KEF service. Might be in the realm of imaginable possibility now that FI has started receiving MAX-8s

cloudboy

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 pm

VS4ever wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:
NickolayAv wrote:

One of the comments on the article suggested Aa using Piedmont for the route. We shall see. Massport definitely trying to get their investments back right now that’s for sure.

According tot he Telegram article (http://www.telegram.com/news/20180405/u ... al-airport),
“It’s going to be a major step forward. It’s an airline that everybody will be familiar with and it will increase options for people to get in and out of Worcester,” said Worcester County Sheriff Lewis G. Evangelidis, the chairman of the Massachusetts Port Authority. “As someone who’s been born and raised in Worcester County, many people have been cynical about the success of the airport ... but the commitment is there, and if the community responds to (JetBlue) flights to New York as it has to Florida, we will attract more carriers and more business.”

So my bet is AA or DL, possibly WN. I think F9 would be a possibility too, they seem to be targeting New England as of late.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

cheapgreek

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 pm

cloudboy wrote:
VS4ever wrote:
cheapgreek wrote:

According tot he Telegram article (http://www.telegram.com/news/20180405/u ... al-airport),
“It’s going to be a major step forward. It’s an airline that everybody will be familiar with and it will increase options for people to get in and out of Worcester,” said Worcester County Sheriff Lewis G. Evangelidis, the chairman of the Massachusetts Port Authority. “As someone who’s been born and raised in Worcester County, many people have been cynical about the success of the airport ... but the commitment is there, and if the community responds to (JetBlue) flights to New York as it has to Florida, we will attract more carriers and more business.”

So my bet is AA or DL, possibly WN. I think F9 would be a possibility too, they seem to be targeting New England as of late.

I hope its AA,DL,or UA. ORH needs connections to major hubs, F9 would not offer that. WN is a really long shot, don't see that happening. Its been a while since I flew from ORH, have the access roads been improved?. That was always a drawback for ORH.

RL757PVD

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm

I’m going with UA... they are been on a small airport kick these days and have excess 50 seaters lying around. 2x IAD

iyerhari

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:50 pm

As per masslive.com user comments, they are saying it is an AAE flight from ORH-PHL.

flymco753

Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:54 pm

ORH-ATL on Delta is possible, 3x daily on CRJ-900's seems the likely scenario if DL is the one making the move.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

LotsaRunway

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:47 pm

It will be interesting to see what WN numbers for MHT look like for April and May 2018. The schedule for BWI to MHT is really awful for business travelers. There is nothing scheduled between 3:55 and 10:50PM, which is business prime time and really weakens conenctions from the left side of the country. But, there are 3 early day flights, two on 738s. Since the schedule doesn't work for me, I checked out Logan and noticed WN is now cheaper from Boston than MHT and PVD right across the board, including Business Select. It's a small difference, but still a stick it to you because they can difference. It's interesting, PVD/MHT used to be one of WN's $39 fare routes along with other shortish trips. It's very rare to see PVD/MHT discounted during the $49 and $59 sales anymore. But BOS-BWI, yes. Since I ended up booking Logan, I booked B6. Sorry WN! You had your chance! Times are a changin!

iyerhari

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
I don't fly from MHT very often or on WN for that matter but one of my best friends has moved down there and is living in the WV/MD border area and I have taken WN from MHT to BWI twice over the last year, and once on one of those $49 fares so it does happen. Another thing I noticed is that they factor Logan parking costs into their MHT prices. So while BOS-BWI might be $50 cheaper than MHT-BWI, if you're flying from BOS you have no choice but to pay $20/day for parking or whatever it costs down there. They know people from up here will factor in parking at Logan plus the perceived hassle of driving to Logan.

On both of my trips I returned on the 10:50pm flight and both times it was packed to the very last seat. I happen to think it's a pretty good schedule for both business and leisure passengers. The late departure from BWI allows for connections from WN's entire network.

Parking rate at BOS is now $35/day and every day increase is multiple of $35. Terminal B gets full by 6:30 am on Mon whenever I have seen the ticker board... With Uber and Lyft, I see it's only getting busier... But then for a business traveler who has a need to reach his/her client site or work site, it is the best option one has.

airbazar

Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:46 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
There is nothing scheduled between 3:55 and 10:50PM

There's a 7:35pm departure
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KBWI/KMHT

LotsaRunway wrote:
Since the schedule doesn't work for me, I checked out Logan and noticed WN is now cheaper from Boston than MHT and PVD right across the board, including Business Select. It's a small difference, but still a stick it to you because they can difference. It's interesting, PVD/MHT used to be one of WN's $39 fare routes along with other shortish trips. It's very rare to see PVD/MHT discounted during the $49 and $59 sales anymore.

I don't fly from MHT very often or on WN for that matter but one of my best friends has moved down there and is living in the WV/MD border area and I have taken WN from MHT to BWI twice over the last year, and once on one of those $49 fares so it does happen. Another thing I noticed is that they factor Logan parking costs into their MHT prices. So while BOS-BWI might be $50 cheaper than MHT-BWI, if you're flying from BOS you have no choice but to pay $20/day for parking or whatever it costs down there. They know people from up here will factor in parking at Logan plus the perceived hassle of driving to Logan.

On both of my trips I returned on the 10:50pm flight and both times it was packed to the very last seat. I happen to think it's a pretty good schedule for both business and leisure passengers. The late departure from BWI allows for connections from WN's entire network.

LotsaRunway

Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 pm

airbazar wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

The schedule changes next week.

My meeting in Baltimore ends at 5 and I’m not real keen on waiting 6 hours so that I can reach my hotel a 1AM. I would have loved having a 7:35pm option so I don’t have to deal with Boston traffic.

Regarding building in the cost of Boston parking into MHT fares, I’ve never heard of such a thing. What about people who use the T or Uber? If anything, I would think operational costs at Logan should make those fares a little higher. Why penalize passengers using a lower cost facility? I think they do it because they can. They are in more competition at Boston and have to keep it as low as possible. At MHT? Not so much.

cloudboy

Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:22 pm

SCHATC422 wrote:
Has to be DL to DTW if you ask me.... unless they want to bark up B6's tree to JFK?

I wouldn't be surprised if AA or DL decided to fly ORH to LGA. It would still give them some connecting flights, but strategically they would try and capitalize on the business market between the Boston west suburbs and NYC.

Though my hopes are for AA to PHL.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

airbazar

Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:42 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
airbazar wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

Regarding building in the cost of Boston parking into MHT fares, I’ve never heard of such a thing. What about people who use the T or Uber? If anything, I would think operational costs at Logan should make those fares a little higher. Why penalize passengers using a lower cost facility? I think they do it because they can. They are in more competition at Boston and have to keep it as low as possible. At MHT? Not so much.

And they can in part because people up here, myself included will factor in the cost of parking.
People who use the T or Uber will never consider one over the other so it's irrelevant. BOS may have higher operational costs (does it?), but it also has a lot more competition. WN has to compete for those passengers. The same is not true at MHT, and in fact WN is hardly the only airline charging more to fly from MHT which is why I hardly ever use MHT. It's expensive regardless of what airline you use.

tomaheath

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm

I just travel for leisure so my experiences my not matter. But my recent flights out of Manchester have all been priced right inline with Boston.
MHT-DTW-FRA $100 more out of Manchester.
MHT-ATL-PNS same exact price.
BOS-ORD-BZN Manchester would of been $20 cheaper this was a business trip and there was three of us traveling and only 2 seats available on the RJ.
MHT-BWI-PHX same price for a one stop from Boston. Nonstops were $150 more from Boston except a very early and very late departure those were price the same as the Manchester flight that I took.

cheapgreek

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:35 am

cloudboy wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
Has to be DL to DTW if you ask me.... unless they want to bark up B6's tree to JFK?

I wouldn't be surprised if AA or DL decided to fly ORH to LGA. It would still give them some connecting flights, but strategically they would try and capitalize on the business market between the Boston west suburbs and NYC.

Though my hopes are for AA to PHL.

Slots at LGA are limited and using a 50 seat RJ would be a waste for any airline,but AA at PHL would be a good fit, more domestic connections and plenty of flights to Europe and DL to DTW,again many more connections than LGA could offer.

VS4ever

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:07 am

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/ ... t_hop.html

Looks like Massport finished the improvements to ORH just in time and maybe a contributing factor to getting both the JFK flight next month and the new rumored flight in a couple of days time. Because $32m needs a lot of income to get a return on that investment.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Fex180

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm

I wonder if Frontier entering the PWM market will finally entice WN into some service expansion. Their 3-4 X daily to BWI always sells well, and i'm surprised they haven't at least tried daily service to MDW or Florida points...even if just seasonally. Seems like they're content to just keep their foot in the door at PWM.

33lspotter

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:42 am

Fex180 wrote:
I wonder if Frontier entering the PWM market will finally entice WN into some service expansion. Their 3-4 X daily to BWI always sells well, and i'm surprised they haven't at least tried daily service to MDW or Florida points...even if just seasonally. Seems like they're content to just keep their foot in the door at PWM.

Interesting to know that they do well on PWM-BWI. I would have thought it would last a year or two, so to see it going on five years (this month) is great.

Random non-PWM question: has BTV ever seen a transatlantic charter flight or diversion? I think I saw something about a flight from SNN landing at BTV back in 2011 but would be curious to hear from BTV folks.

B595

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:01 am

33lspotter wrote:
Random non-PWM question: has BTV ever seen a transatlantic charter flight or diversion? I think I saw something about a flight from SNN landing at BTV back in 2011 but would be curious to hear from BTV folks.

Sometime in the past few years an Air Canada A333 diverted to BTV owing to poor weather at YUL. I don't have the details handy, but I believe the departure point was someplace in Europe.

BTV occasionally sees trans-Atlantic private jet traffic (Bombardiers/Gulfstreams). In fact, there's a BTV-based Global Express (N782SF) that's done more than a few Atlantic hops, including Nice and Venice among others. And there was even one trans-Pacific Gulfstream flight NRT-BTV in recent memory.

I don't recall seeing any civil large-jet charters (e.g. TUI Airways), although there have been a good number of military large-jet charters in support of VT National Guard deployments (including MD11, 744, 763). (edit: These military charters were domestic, not trans-Atlantic).

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Fex180 wrote:

That is my hope, too. They've barely expanded at all at PWM since they replaced Air Tran.

Southwest does offer seasonal Saturday or Sunday service, once per week to MCO and MDW from PWM.