Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

malev2012

Re: Austin Texas Thread - 2018

Mon May 07, 2018 8:55 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
DL has increased their AUS flying 21% YOY. I think a lot of that is from up-gauging aircraft. Everyone thinks LF=profit. Thats simply not the case in austin, although most flights do tend to be full. I fly for business several times a month and book just about 14 days out. The fares are much higher (on the average) than other cities.

Went to book JFK flight with DL and in the past it had always been 3x 319, now it looks to be 3x320 so that is an example of up-gauging. Also new routes play a role in the increase: RDU, CVG, BOS.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

Western727

Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
DL has increased their AUS flying 21% YOY. I think a lot of that is from up-gauging aircraft. Everyone thinks LF=profit. Thats simply not the case in austin, although most flights do tend to be full. I fly for business several times a month and book just about 14 days out. The fares are much higher (on the average) than other cities.

So which carrier is tops at AUS now, based on avg seats per day, and which airlines follow? Historically it's been WN, followed by AA but with the DL/NW merger and the aforementioned 21% jump YOY by DL...surely the positions may have shifted significantly.
Jack @ AUS

tphuang

Thu May 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Western727 wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:

So which carrier is tops at AUS now, based on avg seats per day, and which airlines follow? Historically it's been WN, followed by AA but with the DL/NW merger and the aforementioned 21% jump YOY by DL...surely the positions may have shifted significantly.

Southwest is 3 times as large. Dl is 4th place.

24Whiskey

Thu May 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Western727 wrote:

DL is set up to overtake UA in the next year or two. Far from reaching WN or AA though.

tphuang

Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 pm

And before people get overly excited here. It’s important to note that on bos aus, one of their new routes, they had lower yield in q4 than their competitors. Both of whom have 20 to 25% lower cost. It’s not going to be an easy road for dl adding routes that are not their own hub.

ADrum23

Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
Western727 wrote:

DL is set up to overtake UA in the next year or two. Far from reaching WN or AA though.

WN, yes. AA? That depends on whether DL expands and adds AMS and p2p flying (as rumored). If they do, they'll likely overtake AA eventually as well, becoming the second largest after WN. If not, then they'll only be 3rd.

Austin787

Thu May 17, 2018 9:41 pm

khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Why renumber in groups? I mean, gate 24 will become gate 33, while gate 23 will become gate 32, and so on. I'm thinking it would have to be an overnight gig. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that it's a City of Austin operated enterprise, so it will be neither simple nor quick... :stirthepot:

Would have made more sense to start the gate numbering at 10 when the airport opened, since the airport was built with expansion in mind. But the City of Austin lacks foresight in planning, and it shows not just in the airport's gate numbering but also the city's roads and highways.

khowaga

Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 pm

Austin787 wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Why renumber in groups? I mean, gate 24 will become gate 33, while gate 23 will become gate 32, and so on. I'm thinking it would have to be an overnight gig. What am I missing?

What you're missing is that it's a City of Austin operated enterprise, so it will be neither simple nor quick... :stirthepot:

Would have made more sense to start the gate numbering at 10 when the airport opened, since the airport was built with expansion in mind. But the City of Austin lacks foresight in planning, and it shows not just in the airport's gate numbering but also the city's roads and highways.

When the airport opened, even the most optimistic projections suggested that an expansion of this size wouldn't be needed until the middle of the next decade. Renumbering the gates really isn't that much of an inconvenience; they're just going about it strangely by doing it in increments (and I'm sure there's a reason. I'm equally sure no one will ever tell us what it is).

Honestly, if they would actually *do* something about the roads and public transportation, even in increments, that would still be a vast improvement over the paralysis that seems to guide most of the urban planning in town ... :boggled:

jplatts

Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
IMO, only DL and WN need more gates since they appear to be the only non-ULCC's expanding at the airport. AA, UA, AS and so on probably won't add much else.

AA does not serve LGA or DCA nonstop from AUS due to perimeter restrictions at LGA and DCA, but AA already serves all of its other hubs nonstop from AUS. UA also already has nonstop service to all of its hubs from AUS.

VX did have an opportunity to add AUS-LAX nonstop service if it hadn't merged with AS, and I could see VX adding AUS-LAX nonstop service if the AS-VX merger didn't take place. However, AS still has an opportunity to add AUS-LAX nonstop service, and AS also does have nonstop service to destinations other than its hubs, SJC focus city, and former VX destinations out of its LAX hub. AS also already has nonstop service to SEA, PDX, SFO, SJC, and SAN from AUS.

malev2012

Fri May 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Worried about VC continuing much longer. Flight that arrived from LIT this morning unloaded about 20. Only 12 passengers on flight to OKC.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

3rdRockTrekker

Fri May 25, 2018 9:52 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA does not serve LGA or DCA nonstop from AUS due to perimeter restrictions at LGA and DCA, but AA already serves all of its other hubs nonstop from AUS. UA also already has nonstop service to all of its hubs from AUS.

I believe AUS does not have a NS to LGA & DCA because, if I'm not mistaken, they are restricted to operating flights from less than a certain number of miles from said airport. For example, LGA cannot operate flights to airports more than 1,500 miles from LGA (don't quote me on the number).

N626AA

Sat May 26, 2018 6:18 am

3rdRockTrekker wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I believe AUS does not have a NS to LGA & DCA because, if I'm not mistaken, they are restricted to operating flights from less than a certain number of miles from said airport. For example, LGA cannot operate flights to airports more than 1,500 miles from LGA (don't quote me on the number).

Didn't WN operate a DCA-AUS for little while? I thought I recalled seeing it a few times on fr24 some time in '16 or '17... I could be mistaking UA and their IAD route though. Or fr24 didn't account for a stop the AUS bound flight from DCA made.. Who knows
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7

CarlosSi

Sat May 26, 2018 9:32 am

N626AA wrote:
3rdRockTrekker wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Didn't WN operate a DCA-AUS for little while? I thought I recalled seeing it a few times on fr24 some time in '16 or '17... I could be mistaking UA and their IAD route though. Or fr24 didn't account for a stop the AUS bound flight from DCA made.. Who knows

I believe there are exceptions, as you can also fly to SFO and DEN from DCA. Probably not so easy securing such flights. May be harder with LGA.

llintner

Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 pm

khowaga wrote:
Austin787 wrote:
khowaga wrote:

When the airport opened, even the most optimistic projections suggested that an expansion of this size wouldn't be needed until the middle of the next decade. Renumbering the gates really isn't that much of an inconvenience; they're just going about it strangely by doing it in increments (and I'm sure there's a reason. I'm equally sure no one will ever tell us what it is).

Some of the groups involved in the gate renumbering; Planning & Engineering (both project management teams for terminal improvements, and terminal expansion), Building Maintenance, Finance, and work order management, ATC, Airside Operations, Terminal Operations, Security, and IT.

Some of the issues include; gate management software and the ability of staff to make dozens of changes to 25 numbered gates already in use, work order management and the ability to make changes to thousands of assets that are related to a given gate number, the fire alarm systems and the ability to make sure a given detector or pull station is accurately addressed to a location in the terminal (you don't want the fire department running to the end of the building if Gate 25 is no longer there), access control systems, environmental control systems, accounts receivable and the ability to differentiate who gets billed for what space, coordination with fourteen airlines so they know what to communicate to airlines and when, timing for changing interactive maps in the terminal, updates to the airport web pages, and the ability of the contractor to make changes to numerous signs. That's not even a comprehensive list.

Also, keep in mind each gate has several numbered signs; a blade sign in the concourse, a four sided sign over the podium, one over the boarding door, a three sided sign at the end of the bridge, a sign high on the side of the building, and a painted number at each lead-in line. Then there are numerous directional signs that point passengers to the correct gate.

llintner

Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 pm

3rdRockTrekker wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Southwest has a daily AUS-DCA non-stop.

malev2012

Sat May 26, 2018 5:39 pm

llintner wrote:
3rdRockTrekker wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Southwest has a daily AUS-DCA non-stop.

Yes this is a beyond perimeter slot exemption, it takes an act of Congress to add more. http://www.flyreagan.com/dca/dca-reagan ... eter-rules

Also an airline could operate to LGA on Saturday only service as the slots don't apply then.

ADrum23

Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 pm

So I passed through AUS today, and boy, what a crowded place! I thought my home airport (BNA) was growing fast, AUS is growing 10x faster it seems like. I've read the posts here, but seeing it in person confirms a lot of what has been said.

Four big observations I had.

1. AUS will need to build an additional concourse with at least 25-30 gates to handle the growth.

2. More security checkpoints and ticket counter space is needed, but where will they go?

3. The customs facility that opened a few years ago said it was capable of handling up to 600 pax an hour. I'll say, AUS will probably outgrow that within the next decade and will likely have to expand it or build a new facility that is capable of handling 1,000+ pax an hour.

4. I don't care what anyone says, DL would be incredibly stupid not to ramp up operations here once the addition is complete and the Sky Club opens.

freerover

Sat May 26, 2018 11:48 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
So I passed through AUS today, and boy, what a crowded place! I thought my home airport (BNA) was growing fast, AUS is growing 10x faster it seems like. I've read the posts here, but seeing it in person confirms a lot of what has been said.

1. AUS will need to build an additional concourse with at least 25-30 gates to handle the growth.

2. More security checkpoints and ticket counter space is needed, but where will they go?

3. The customs facility that opened a few years ago said it was capable of handling up to 600 pax an hour. I'll say, AUS will probably outgrow that within the next decade and will likely have to expand it or build a new facility that is capable of handling 1,000+ pax an hour.

4. I don't care what anyone says, DL would be incredibly stupid not to ramp up operations here once the addition is complete and the Sky Club opens.

The short term solution for more security space is that they can fill in an infill gap on the West side of the terminal that currently houses a narrow walkway that is used as the westmost security checkpoint. The long term solution is a new terminal building where the old garage is, on the west end of the terminal or on the other side of the control tower in the center of the airport grounds.

malev2012

Sun May 27, 2018 1:26 am

freerover wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

The short term solution for more security space is that they can fill in an infill gap on the West side of the terminal that currently houses a narrow walkway that is used as the westmost security checkpoint. The long term solution is a new terminal building where the old garage is, on the west end of the terminal or on the other side of the control tower in the center of the airport grounds.

Also if F9 moved their flights to the south terminal that would also help with things, seems like there is plenty of space at the south terminal for growth, but with just two airlines (G4 and VC) the south terminal is not all that busy.

ADrum23

Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 pm

DY 789. Stood next to the crew while I was waiting in the security line. Dreamliner is such a nice plane.

Also, the air conditioning is not fully functioning due to the construction, so it is HOT at AUS right now.

ADrum23

Thu May 31, 2018 1:01 am

Does anyone have any load factors on both DY's new service and BA's 747 service?

N626AA

Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:48 pm

Anyone know what's going on AA1882 AUS - CLT today? Left slightly late then did a few laps east of AUS around FL39, and now returning to AUS. I know this happens every now and then, I suppose to burn off fuel? Wonder what the reason is for the return though.

https://www.flightradar24.com/AAL1882/1199983a
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7

Gregarious1

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Cargo door light indicator. No emergency. Just some holding for fuel burn.

malev2012

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:10 pm

April 2018 Passenger numbers are interesting. Typically traffic declines from April to March, yet this year it increased. April was the busiest month ever at AUS. The expansion can't come soon enough!

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/april-2 ... -bergstrom

malev2012

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:14 pm

F9 adds more dots, thought they could support SNA daily service though.

AUS-SDF
F9 884 Depart AUS: 12:50 Arrive SDF: 4:02 p.m.
F9 885 Depart SDF: 4:54 p.m. Arrive AUS: 6:05 p.m.
Aircraft: A320
Frequency: Monday, Friday
Service Start: August 13

AUS-SNA
F9 1509 Depart AUS: 5:28 p.m. Arrive SNA: 6:23 p.m.
F9 1508 Depart SNA: 11:48 a.m. Arrive AUS: 4:38 p.m.
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Frequency: Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday
Service Start: August 14

william

Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:52 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

Delta can ramp up all they want, its futile if your yields goes down the toilet. SWA will make sure that happens.
Last edited by william on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

william

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:00 pm

malev2012 wrote:
freerover wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Also if F9 moved their flights to the south terminal that would also help with things, seems like there is plenty of space at the south terminal for growth, but with just two airlines (G4 and VC) the south terminal is not all that busy.

There are only three parking spots at South Terminal and I would not be surprised after Allegiant finishes its Airbus makeover they make Austin a base and expand further. I expect in the near future South to be maxed out. And who knows what the long term future is for South if they build a separate concourse south of the Terminal.

FA9295

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

malev2012 wrote:

Not having the AUS-SNA flight as daily likely has to do with slot constraints at SNA.

malev2012

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

FA9295 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Not having the AUS-SNA flight as daily likely has to do with slot constraints at SNA.

Yes but they are splitting the slots between SAT and AUS, which makes it less useful, if F9 would pick one market to do daily, it'd have a better chance of staying.

primetimeDC9

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:47 pm

Looks like g4 halting service at least temporarily between AUS and LCK, CLE, MEM, PIE, and PIT. Anyone have any inside info on this? Seems like a lot

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:55 pm

primetimeDC9 wrote:
Looks like g4 halting service at least temporarily between AUS and LCK, CLE, MEM, PIE, and PIT. Anyone have any inside info on this? Seems like a lot

My guess is plane shortage, I suspect most of those will come back by Spring '19
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

FA9295

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:56 pm

malev2012 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

Yes but they are splitting the slots between SAT and AUS, which makes it less useful, if F9 would pick one market to do daily, it'd have a better chance of staying.

I'm not sure how that would be more useful. With the way that they're set to do it now, they can tackle two separate markets at once.

ADrum23

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:57 pm

william wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Delta can ramp up all they want, its futile if your yields goes down the toilet. SWA will make sure that happens.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. In any case, AUS is growing fast enough where it can support two focus cities. If DL were to launch AUS-AMS, get some corporate contracts and launch some p2p (places such as PIT, IND, BNA, KCI, etc, that are unserved or underserved), they can build up a FF base and carve out a nice niche.

malev2012

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 pm

FA9295 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:

I'm not sure how that would be more useful. With the way that they're set to do it now, they can tackle two separate markets at once.

Less useful for passengers, not F9. While value seeking passengers could drive to either SAT or AUS, if the return is different airport than departure it does little good.

deltadudejg

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:27 pm

primetimeDC9 wrote:

I looked at the fall/winter schedule about 2 weeks ago and they didn't have all their flights loaded it seemed. G4 is in the process of basing aircraft at the outstations instead of having them all based at SFB/PIE/PGD so it could be that they're just realigning the schedules. I know the PIE-AUS flight does pretty well so I really don't think they would push it to seasonal.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

william

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 pm

primetimeDC9 wrote:

Are you referring to the fact that August seems to be the last month to schedule these flights? One can still book during the summer to these locations.

reggiet

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm

llintner wrote:
khowaga wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

Some of the groups involved in the gate renumbering; Planning & Engineering (both project management teams for terminal improvements, and terminal expansion), Building Maintenance, Finance, and work order management, ATC, Airside Operations, Terminal Operations, Security, and IT.

Some of the issues include; gate management software and the ability of staff to make dozens of changes to 25 numbered gates already in use, work order management and the ability to make changes to thousands of assets that are related to a given gate number, the fire alarm systems and the ability to make sure a given detector or pull station is accurately addressed to a location in the terminal (you don't want the fire department running to the end of the building if Gate 25 is no longer there), access control systems, environmental control systems, accounts receivable and the ability to differentiate who gets billed for what space, coordination with fourteen airlines so they know what to communicate to airlines and when, timing for changing interactive maps in the terminal, updates to the airport web pages, and the ability of the contractor to make changes to numerous signs. That's not even a comprehensive list.

Also, keep in mind each gate has several numbered signs; a blade sign in the concourse, a four sided sign over the podium, one over the boarding door, a three sided sign at the end of the bridge, a sign high on the side of the building, and a painted number at each lead-in line. Then there are numerous directional signs that point passengers to the correct gate.

Thanks for the thorough background info Linter :wave: 8-)
Reggie in Austin

malev2012

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:47 pm

VC adds 3x weekly service to BTR starting 9/13 http://www.austintexas.gov/news/viaair- ... h-terminal

Also per the VC website it looks like starting 9/19 VC will also add AMA from AUS,

In total VC is up to 8 destinations: AMA, LIT, TUL, OKC, TUS, BKG, HDN, BTR

TyroneShoes

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 am

I'm willing to bet VC will add Corpus Christi and Midland soon.

TyroneShoes

Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 am

I'm willing to bet VC will add Corpus Christi and Midland soon.

malev2012

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:57 pm

AUS has a survey on the masterplan open until 6/30: http://www.abiamasterplan.com/alternatives/

primetimeDC9

Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:58 am

deltadudejg wrote:
primetimeDC9 wrote:

I looked at the fall/winter schedule about 2 weeks ago and they didn't have all their flights loaded it seemed. G4 is in the process of basing aircraft at the outstations instead of having them all based at SFB/PIE/PGD so it could be that they're just realigning the schedules. I know the PIE-AUS flight does pretty well so I really don't think they would push it to seasonal.

Look at their website, you can book CVG, SFB, and IND for example through February. So it appears that the fore mentioned flights are cut through at least then. I was able to book them priviously until February, then they all disappeared.

ATXDLFLY

Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Looks like Austin is officially becoming a "focus city"

Delta Job Posting from early June.
------------------
Sales Account Executive - AUS - Focus City Delta Air Lines
...SAE will develop relationships and ties in the Austin market with key community and industry organizations to support Delta's Focus City initiative...

Excited for future of Delta in Austin!

ADrum23

Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:13 am

ATXDLFLY wrote:

------------------
...SAE will develop relationships and ties in the Austin market with key community and industry organizations to support Delta's Focus City initiative...

Where did you see this?

If this is true, this is excellent news. DL needs a presence in Texas, and AUS is their last chance. With 6-8 gates, I wonder what routes we will see and how many flights?

This probably means AUS-AMS is about to be launched year round.

jplatts

Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:51 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
ATXDLFLY wrote:

------------------

Where did you see this?

If this is true, this is excellent news. DL needs a presence in Texas, and AUS is their last chance. With 6-8 gates, I wonder what routes we will see and how many flights?

The biggest domestic holes in the DL network are in smaller Texas markets such as AMA, LBB, MAF, and CRP that are currently served by AA, UA, and WN but not by DL. I could see DL adding nonstop service to AMA, LBB, MAF, and CRP from AUS since DL would be able to connect passengers to its hubs and focus cities from these smaller Texas markets in addition to providing easier access to AUS from these smaller Texas markets if DL serves these smaller Texas markets nonstop from AUS. DL would also be able to connect passengers onto AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flights from these smaller Texas markets through AUS if DL added nonstop service to AUS from these smaller Texas markets.

While DL currently has seasonal nonstop service to MSP from HRL, DL could add nonstop service to ATL and AUS from HRL in order to expand its presence in the Rio Grande Valley.

I could see DL adding nonstop service to ORD, DFW, DEN, FLL, LAS, MIA, MCO, PHX, SFO, SJC, and IAD from AUS as these are the top domestic destinations traveled to from AUS that do not currently have nonstop service out of AUS on DL. I could also see DL increasing nonstop service to its CVG and RDU focus cities as part of its AUS expansion.

ATXDLFLY

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Job Posting for SAE:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/sale ... -676720167

ADrum23 wrote:
ATXDLFLY wrote:

------------------

Where did you see this?

william

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:38 pm

jplatts wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
ATXDLFLY wrote:

------------------

Where did you see this?

The biggest domestic holes in the DL network are in smaller Texas markets such as AMA, LBB, MAF, and CRP that are currently served by AA, UA, and WN but not by DL. I could see DL adding nonstop service to AMA, LBB, MAF, and CRP from AUS since DL would be able to connect passengers to its hubs and focus cities from these smaller Texas markets in addition to providing easier access to AUS from these smaller Texas markets if DL serves these smaller Texas markets nonstop from AUS. DL would also be able to connect passengers onto AM's AUS-MEX nonstop flights from these smaller Texas markets through AUS if DL added nonstop service to AUS from these smaller Texas markets.

While DL currently has seasonal nonstop service to MSP from HRL, DL could add nonstop service to ATL and AUS from HRL in order to expand its presence in the Rio Grande Valley.

I could see DL adding nonstop service to ORD, DFW, DEN, FLL, LAS, MIA, MCO, PHX, SFO, SJC, and IAD from AUS as these are the top domestic destinations traveled to from AUS that do not currently have nonstop service out of AUS on DL. I could also see DL increasing nonstop service to its CVG and RDU focus cities as part of its AUS expansion.

That leads to the question, what is a focus city? Because you are describing the beginnings of a hub. DFW is a focus city, does DL schedule connections through DFW? Not arguing, just asking a question.

william

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:49 pm

malev2012 wrote:
AUS has a survey on the masterplan open until 6/30: http://www.abiamasterplan.com/alternatives/

I hope they go with plan 1 on the road plan. It would keep the traffic moving continuously without stopping. Though plan 6 should be the ultimate configuration, though as Fast Park customer, I would hate to see it go or they will just build over it.

On the terminal plan 4 seems to be able to be built without disruption and makes the most sense.

Terminal plan 5 seems to be perfect for a airline like Delta is serious about expanding further, though a south entrance would be at a disadvantage.

tphuang

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:59 pm

Having gate space and attempting to hire a couple of more people don’t mean they will be able to expand more. If every route they add loose money, any expansion plans will be abandoned quickly. Even delta can only afford so many Seattle and Boston efforts.

malev2012

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:08 pm

tphuang wrote:
Having gate space and attempting to hire a couple of more people don’t mean they will be able to expand more. If every route they add loose money, any expansion plans will be abandoned quickly. Even delta can only afford so many Seattle and Boston efforts.

Delta can certainly afford to lose money on a few routes, if it enhances their ability to pick up corporate contracts. Right now DL serves ATL, BOS, CVG, DTW, JFK, LAX, MSP, RDU, SEA, and SLC, (and MEX if you could JV partner AM). I honestly don't see them adding that many more flights to make it a focus city, however they have something other airlines don't in smaller mainline to establish more frequency, especially once the CS100 come on board.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos