Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

malev2012

Re: Austin Texas Thread - 2018

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

As stated earlier in the thread, there isn’t enough demand for two carriers to FRA. LH has the advantage of using United for their club at both SAN and AUS, and connections into these airports as feeding. LH also offers significantly more connections out of FRA too.

Now they just need to update the United Club :wave:

We’ll probably see this when the new admin building opens attached to the under construction parking garage. The new admin building will free up space next the the clubs allowing for both the Admirals and United club to get a much needed make over and expansion. As of yet, these two won’t be competitive with the upcoming Sky Club.

Will admin building open around the same time as the parking garage, spring 2019?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

masonh2479

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:08 pm

malev2012 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

We’ll probably see this when the new admin building opens attached to the under construction parking garage. The new admin building will free up space next the the clubs allowing for both the Admirals and United club to get a much needed make over and expansion. As of yet, these two won’t be competitive with the upcoming Sky Club.

Will admin building open around the same time as the parking garage, spring 2019?

The foundation for the first floor of the admin building is currently being poured, expected to be completed after the parking garage.
You can track the garage project through this link: https://public.workzonecam.com/projects/austincommercial1/parkinggarage/workzonecam/archive?archiveId=Home

rajincajun01

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Cargolux B748 is currently on the ground and a Singapore B744 arriving about 5PM today.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

As stated earlier in the thread, there isn’t enough demand for two carriers to FRA. LH has the advantage of using United for their club at both SAN and AUS, and connections into these airports as feeding. LH also offers significantly more connections out of FRA too.

I think you mean that the Delta club will be the nicest of the 3 (since it will be newest if nothing else). If anything, it's currently Delta who's not competitive and they're a bit late to the game to finally have a club, but just them putting one in doesn't mean that either AA or UA will do a single thing to their existing clubs. If only it worked that way of constant one-upsmanship.

aaexecplat

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

I think you mean that the Delta club will be the nicest of the 3 (since it will be newest if nothing else). If anything, it's currently Delta who's not competitive and they're a bit late to the game to finally have a club, but just them putting one in doesn't mean that either AA or UA will do a single thing to their existing clubs. If only it worked that way of constant one-upsmanship.

Biggest problem with the UA Club is the overcrowding. The AC is never as crowded as the UA Club. I am a member of both, but much prefer the AC when I have to make a choice. This is a fairly new phenomenen though as several years ago, I felt the situation was the opposite.

masonh2479

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
dfwneedsqf wrote:

Yes that is what I meant, the Sky Club will be the newest and largest club at the port by a sizable margin. Remembering the news update the port gave about it a long time ago, I think it is almost 10 thousand square feet. There were also rumors it could have showers but who knows for sure.

I’m sure Delta would of loved to have a club at ABIA sooner but there was just no space available. I remember going to the Admirals Club as a kid and I sure hope it’s changed by now because it was getting a little dated back then, and even back then was too small. Can’t say the same about the United Club as I have never been in it.

I sure hope AA and UA decided to improve their clubs, because once the admin space is opened they will have the opportunity to renovate and expand.

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:32 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

Yes that is what I meant, the Sky Club will be the newest and largest club at the port by a sizable margin. Remembering the news update the port gave about it a long time ago, I think it is almost 10 thousand square feet. There were also rumors it could have showers but who knows for sure.

I’m sure Delta would of loved to have a club at ABIA sooner but there was just no space available. I remember going to the Admirals Club as a kid and I sure hope it’s changed by now because it was getting a little dated back then, and even back then was too small. Can’t say the same about the United Club as I have never been in it.

I sure hope AA and UA decided to improve their clubs, because once the admin space is opened they will have the opportunity to renovate and expand.

some AA clubs are showing their age better than others. BNA's club is trapped in the 80's. Embarrassing looking restrooms. I've been in nicer fast food bathrooms than theirs. The AA club in Austin may have the same issue

masonh2479

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Seems like we will be getting a new small airline soon for ski charters, Taos Air operated by Ultimate Air Charter starting December 20th, running 3x weekly except for sometimes it is 4x weekly: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300729263.html
It would be nice to see a Dornier 328 in Austin! https://ultimateairshuttle.com/aircraft-information/

Edit: Just saw there was already another thread dedicated to this announcement.

malev2012

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm

masonh2479 wrote:
Seems like we will be getting a new small airline soon for ski charters, Taos Air operated by Ultimate Air Charter starting December 20th, running 3x weekly except for sometimes it is 4x weekly: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300729263.html
It would be nice to see a Dornier 328 in Austin! https://ultimateairshuttle.com/aircraft-information/

Seems like they will be operating out of an FBO: Signature. Makes since for the small planes.

Speaking of changes, will the South Terminal be able to handle all the flights between G4, VC and now F9?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

masonh2479

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 pm

malev2012 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

Seems like they will be operating out of an FBO: Signature. Makes since for the small planes.

Speaking of changes, will the South Terminal be able to handle all the flights between G4, VC and now F9?

I think the addition of F9 will really cramp up the South Terminal, even though they already aren’t open every day of the week, the space is so small that even when one plane is there it can get crowded.

tkoenig95

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:43 am

masonh2479 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:

I think the addition of F9 will really cramp up the South Terminal, even though they already aren’t open every day of the week, the space is so small that even when one plane is there it can get crowded.

When was it announced that F9 is moving to South Terminal?

masonh2479

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:45 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

When was it announced that F9 is moving to South Terminal?

No official announcement yet but it is on the airport websites non stop page.

tkoenig95

Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Taking a more in-depth look at reports from August 2018, and a few months before, it seems like B6 has been in the red as far as pax numbers.
August 2018 shows a total of 51,279 vs 2017 carrying 53,292. What is with the shake up here?

BOS: B6, DL, WN - all 1x daily.
FLL: B6, WN - both 1x daily and both timing perfectly for cruising pax.
JFK: AA, B6, DL - 2x daily for AA, B6. 3x daily for DL. Huge demand for all flights, but does DL win in terms on domestic/int'l onward connections?
LGB: B6 - arguably OC/Greater LA, personal experience shows residents of OC using this flight, other parts of LA prefer LAX.
MCO: B6, F9, WN: B6 1x daily, F9 2x weekly, WN 2x daily. If B6 offered more freqencies could they compete with WN?

Are there any potential markets for B6 to tap into and capitalize on?

malev2012

Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Taking a more in-depth look at reports from August 2018, and a few months before, it seems like B6 has been in the red as far as pax numbers.
August 2018 shows a total of 51,279 vs 2017 carrying 53,292. What is with the shake up here?

BOS: B6, DL, WN - all 1x daily.
FLL: B6, WN - both 1x daily and both timing perfectly for cruising pax.
JFK: AA, B6, DL - 2x daily for AA, B6. 3x daily for DL. Huge demand for all flights, but does DL win in terms on domestic/int'l onward connections?
LGB: B6 - arguably OC/Greater LA, personal experience shows residents of OC using this flight, other parts of LA prefer LAX.
MCO: B6, F9, WN: B6 1x daily, F9 2x weekly, WN 2x daily. If B6 offered more freqencies could they compete with WN?

Are there any potential markets for B6 to tap into and capitalize on?

Don't forget JFK also competes with EWR for some NYC traffic 2x WN 3x UA. Delta just offers better flight options at 2-3 for biz travelers as well as international connections to a lot of secondary European cities: ATH, TXL, LIS, NCE, PRG, VCE

FA9295

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:59 am

Not sure if this was discussed here yet, SAS is scheduling one-way CPH-AUS-ARN route in March 2019: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2019/

The link says "SAS during the month of March 2019 once again scheduled one-time service to Austin", has SAS done this before?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like they have: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2018/

dfwneedsqf

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:36 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Not sure if this was discussed here yet, SAS is scheduling one-way CPH-AUS-ARN route in March 2019: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2019/

The link says "SAS during the month of March 2019 once again scheduled one-time service to Austin", has SAS done this before?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like they have: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... arch-2018/

Interesting that is originating from Copenhagen and then back to Stockholm. Always glad to have them here though!

tkoenig95

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Tomorrow begins the BA switch to the 77W. This signifies the end of the summer season travel, and I'd be willing to say most AUS spotters are exited to see regular service of this bird!

For the 747 service, which configuration did BA use on the AUS route? Low density 275 seat with high F class?

dfwneedsqf

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
Tomorrow begins the BA switch to the 77W. This signifies the end of the summer season travel, and I'd be willing to say most AUS spotters are exited to see regular service of this bird!

For the 747 service, which configuration did BA use on the AUS route? Low density 275 seat with high F class?

Typically, it was the high density 345 layout with a very old IFE system. I took this route to Europe in April and it was not a pleasant experience. I was glad I filled my iPad with Netflix content.

malev2012

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:17 pm

The city council is set to vote on the expansion plan this Thursday: http://www.kut.org/post/austin-bergstro ... ffic-soars

tkoenig95

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:37 pm

[code][/code]
malev2012 wrote:
The city council is set to vote on the expansion plan this Thursday: http://www.kut.org/post/austin-bergstro ... ffic-soars

If the expansion is funded by revenue generation and government-funded grants, as stated in the article, then why are the plans needing to be passed through the city council meeting before hitting the FAA's desk?

LovePrunesAnet

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:37 pm

malev2012 wrote:

On the agenda: We vote for Delta to make AUS a focus city :stirthepot: haha

malev2012

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:05 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
[code][/code]
malev2012 wrote:

If the expansion is funded by revenue generation and government-funded grants, as stated in the article, then why are the plans needing to be passed through the city council meeting before hitting the FAA's desk?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... -610131843

ty97

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 pm

LovePrunesAnet wrote:
masonh2479 wrote:
LovePrunesAnet wrote:

some AA clubs are showing their age better than others. BNA's club is trapped in the 80's. Embarrassing looking restrooms. I've been in nicer fast food bathrooms than theirs. The AA club in Austin may have the same issue

I think the AA club looks fine. Nothing special, but not dated or shabby or dirty. Just average, and that's fine by me. But it is small, and with BA flight, it can get super crowded in the early evening.

If the DL club is anywhere near the reported size, it's going to be massive compared to the AC and I (presume) the UA club (I've never been in that club).

Nola

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:51 pm

llintner

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:43 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
[code][/code]
malev2012 wrote:

The airport is owned and operated by the City of Austin.

747superliner

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:26 pm

So were the DL focus operation news stories not entirely etched in stone? Pretty sure even the local news stations in Austin reported that DL would start a focus operation at AUS. Delta itself hinted at the possibility. From that article: "...Sales Account Executive (SAE) will 'develop relationships and ties in the Austin market with key community and industry organizations to support Delta’s Focus City initiative.'"

Or did the plan fall through?

klakzky123

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:52 pm

747superliner wrote:
So were the DL focus operation news stories not entirely etched in stone? Pretty sure even the local news stations in Austin reported that DL would start a focus operation at AUS. Delta itself hinted at the possibility. From that article: "...Sales Account Executive (SAE) will 'develop relationships and ties in the Austin market with key community and industry organizations to support Delta’s Focus City initiative.'"

Or did the plan fall through?

The plan might still be there but the timing of that job posting seemed a bit ambitious. I think Delta probably wants to grow in Austin but someone posted that job a little too early.

Mikey711MN

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:07 pm

llintner wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
[code][/code]
malev2012 wrote:

The airport is owned and operated by the City of Austin.

To clarify the City's role specific to the Action taken yesterday, the Council must grant approval for the Plan to be submitted by Airport staff to the FAA.

This wasn't a commitment on the Council's part for any funding of particular projects in the Plan, but rather to further the process for the FAA to sign off on the Plan for future projects to be considered.

Hope that helps,
-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 am

Looks like Alaska is upgrading its SAN flight to mainline service starting April 1, 2019. Will be a 737.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

tcfc424

Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:45 am

Has anyone seen or heard how the new gates will be distributed? Also, is there a more firm opening date? I know someone who worked on the HVAC and he said they were done a month or so ago.

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:46 am

Southwest is getting two gates. I think Delta is getting four and plan to go to ~60 flights eventually. I’ve heard the opening will be by the time LH starts flights.

HeeseokKoo

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:48 am

malev2012 wrote:

F9 at the moment operates 12-16 flights per day out of AUS. No way that many flights would fit at the South Terminal. But then many routes are ending this week for either being seasonal or just quitting. This Thursday (1st day of moving to the South Terminal) shows only 6 flights which should be doable.

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:48 pm

The South Terminal isn’t THAT small. Even at 12-16 flights a day, that’s only 1-2 planes on the ground at once. They usually have a plane sitting on the RON/MX pad until late in the morning anyway.

tkoenig95

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:16 pm

HeeseokKoo wrote:
malev2012 wrote:

F9 at the moment operates 12-16 flights per day out of AUS. No way that many flights would fit at the South Terminal. But then many routes are ending this week for either being seasonal or just quitting. This Thursday (1st day of moving to the South Terminal) shows only 6 flights which should be doable.

It looks like the Barbara Jordan terminal will see 2-4 less flights during the 5AM-8AM bank with F9 moving to the South Terminal. Will this allow for WN and DL to realign timing of certain flights?

Capn

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Southwest is getting two gates. I think Delta is getting four and plan to go to ~60 flights eventually. I’ve heard the opening will be by the time LH starts flights.

Does that mean DL will get 4 more gates in addition to the 3? they already have ? If so, will they all be together ?
Thanks
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Capn wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Does that mean DL will get 4 more gates in addition to the 3? they already have ? If so, will they all be together ?
Thanks

Both is my understanding. They will shift down so that WN will have two additional gates that are next to their current gates. DL will go to 7 gates total eventually, all together. Alaska will also have gates (though city gates) together around the same timeframe if all goes to plan.

jplatts

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:51 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Both is my understanding. They will shift down so that WN will have two additional gates that are next to their current gates. DL will go to 7 gates total eventually, all together. Alaska will also have gates (though city gates) together around the same timeframe if all goes to plan.

While WN is currently maxed out of AUS, WN will have more room to add additional flights out of AUS when WN gets 2 additional gates out of AUS.

The top domestic destinations traveled to out of AUS that aren't currently served nonstop out of AUS on WN include SEA, PHL, MSP, IAD, DTW, CLT, RDU, SLC, LGB, CLE, PIT, CMH, CVG, and SNA. IND is also one of the top destinations traveled to out of AUS that doesn't have daily nonstop service out of AUS on WN, but WN does currently operate Sunday-only nonstop service to IND from AUS.

WN did serve SEA and PHL nonstop from AUS in the past, and WN could bring back AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL nonstop service. There is also more demand for AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL than there is for the other domestic destinations that aren't currently served nonstop out of AUS on WN.

In addition to bringing back AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL nonstop service, WN could also add AUS-IAD, AUS-RDU, AUS-CLE, AUS-PIT, and AUS-CMH nonstop service.

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:10 pm

jplatts wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

While WN is currently maxed out of AUS, WN will have more room to add additional flights out of AUS when WN gets 2 additional gates out of AUS.

The top domestic destinations traveled to out of AUS that aren't currently served nonstop out of AUS on WN include SEA, PHL, MSP, IAD, DTW, CLT, RDU, SLC, LGB, CLE, PIT, CMH, CVG, and SNA. IND is also one of the top destinations traveled to out of AUS that doesn't have daily nonstop service out of AUS on WN, but WN does currently operate Sunday-only nonstop service to IND from AUS.

WN did serve SEA and PHL nonstop from AUS in the past, and WN could bring back AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL nonstop service. There is also more demand for AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL than there is for the other domestic destinations that aren't currently served nonstop out of AUS on WN.

In addition to bringing back AUS-SEA and AUS-PHL nonstop service, WN could also add AUS-IAD, AUS-RDU, AUS-CLE, AUS-PIT, and AUS-CMH nonstop service.

Think you’ll see DL add additional SEA service first. I’m surprised AS hasn’t added a third daily yet.

william

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:21 pm

One of the big benefits of flying out of South Terminal is its laid back vibe. I hope that doesn't change with the added traffic from Frontier flying out of there too.

tphuang

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Think you’ll see DL add additional SEA service first. I’m surprised AS hasn’t added a third daily yet.

Why is that? The yields on this route is terrible. I posted the numbers on the other dl aus thread.

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Sorry, haven’t read it. The thread was full of people whining about the title and other stuff that didn’t matter.

If yields are garbage, I blame airlines for lowering fares so much. Alaska did move SEA back to Boeing in the morning. Boeing have been operating better on the long hauls over the VX Airbus.

tcfc424

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm

KXAN is reporting a new domestic carrier will be announced Wednesday 11/14. NK?

jplatts

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

tcfc424 wrote:

I think that it will likely be NK starting service out of AUS because AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, B6, G4, and F9 all already serve AUS.

The only other possibility I can think of is HA starting service out of AUS to Hawaiian destinations in order to capture Austin-area passengers who would otherwise be connecting to Hawaiian destinations from AUS.

masgniw

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:54 pm

jplatts wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:

I think that it will likely be NK starting service out of AUS because AA, DL, UA, WN, AS, B6, G4, and F9 all already serve AUS.

The only other possibility I can think of is HA starting service out of AUS to Hawaiian destinations in order to capture Austin-area passengers who would otherwise be connecting to Hawaiian destinations from AUS.

I think you're probably right with NK. It would surprise me if HA's first direct Texas flight was to AUS.

malev2012

Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:

It has to be NK, I think AUS has to be one of the larger cities they don't serve. HA seems like a bit too much as I would think there is far more demand to Europe than HNL.

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Any chance of it being Copa?

Different subject, it looks like the end of avian air may be near. All flights are cancelled and they were kicked out of CLT for unpaid fees.

malev2012

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:37 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Any chance of it being Copa?

Different subject, it looks like the end of avian air may be near. All flights are cancelled and they were kicked out of CLT for unpaid fees.

Are you talking about VC - ViaAir?

rajincajun01

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Yes, damn autocorrect.

malev2012

Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Yes, damn autocorrect.

When I flew them their loads were pathetic, had my flights canceled more often then went. Not shocked.

HeeseokKoo

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:05 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
The South Terminal isn’t THAT small. Even at 12-16 flights a day, that’s only 1-2 planes on the ground at once. They usually have a plane sitting on the RON/MX pad until late in the morning anyway.

Since G4 is already operating up to 5 flights a day and Via air has 5 RJ per day, additional 12-16 would have been too much for the terminal. Instead, F9 is to operate 6-8 flights a day from 11/15. I can see that G4 and F9 don't have more than 2 flights at once. Hope F9 lowers cost enough to bring back all those flights next summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos