Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83
Topic Author

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:28 pm

stl07 wrote:
On URBANSTL someone I consider credible is saying that we are still going to have an announcement in August.
I found this to be interesting:
"I am interested to see how much money PIT threw at BA. If it is anything more than $5 Million, then we are definitely out"
That was exactly why we "lost" to BNA last year

Incentives for PIT are 1.5 mil a year.

stl07

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:29 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
On URBANSTL someone I consider credible is saying that we are still going to have an announcement in August.
"I am interested to see how much money PIT threw at BA. If it is anything more than $5 Million, then we are definitely out"

Haha since I said that, I'll clarify it here.

If PIT offered BA more than $5 Million for this route, then I can almost guarantee STL walked. Even with STL's new boatload of cash for route development, I really don't see the airport logically blowing almost all of it on BA. STL has a wishlist and can legitimately support multiple TATLs, and I think that's STL route dev's goal. I'm intrigued however to see what STL says about this, as I am sure the STL-hating local media is about to grill the sh-t out of them for 'another loss for STL'. Depending on the phrasing of STL's statements, we may see A) Incentives are an issue, B) STL's announcement will come in August.

I'm not really that worried for STL's BA chances or TATL in general. STL today closed with 15+million passengers for the FY. Everyone lets take a breath, please.

Haha, I didn't know you are on here too.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

chalupas54

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 pm

stl07 wrote:

If PIT offered BA more than $5 Million for this route, then I can almost guarantee STL walked. Even with STL's new boatload of cash for route development, I really don't see the airport logically blowing almost all of it on BA. STL has a wishlist and can legitimately support multiple TATLs, and I think that's STL route dev's goal. I'm intrigued however to see what STL says about this, as I am sure the STL-hating local media is about to grill the sh-t out of them for 'another loss for STL'. Depending on the phrasing of STL's statements, we may see A) Incentives are an issue, B) STL's announcement will come in August.

I'm not really that worried for STL's BA chances or TATL in general. STL today closed with 15+million passengers for the FY. Everyone lets take a breath, please.

stl07

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:32 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

What??? Ok then...
Maybe they will have a little more "slack" in their fleet
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ADrum23

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:33 pm

Me thinks STL will be getting CDG or AMS service on DL and that will be the big August announcement.

When BA picked BNA a year ago when some people thought IND was next, IND ended up getting DL to CDG a few weeks later

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:36 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Me thinks STL will be getting CDG or AMS service on DL and that will be the big August announcement.

When BA picked BNA a year ago when some people thought IND was next, IND ended up getting DL to CDG a few weeks later

Personally, I would prefer DL but I don't think they have enough of a FF base here for it.

stl07

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:44 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

This may be possible, but I think it could legitimately be anything. Keep in mind on the TATL front, there have been two significant developments at STL:

1. STL is reopening several gates in the C Concourse, one of which is designated to accommodate a widebody aircraft.
2. STL has put out an RFP for new Customs locations in the airport.

It will be interesting to see what comes in August, given these developments.

But all of this might be to complement WW and the uptick of charters and WN flights to the carribean

chalupas54

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:48 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

This may be possible, but I think it could legitimately be anything. Keep in mind on the TATL front, there have been two significant developments at STL:

1. STL is reopening several gates in the C Concourse, one of which is designated to accommodate a widebody aircraft.

jrkstl

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Please be STL-AMS!
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see STL-LHR, or STL-CDG, but connections, etc. at AMS are so much better IMHO

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:37 pm

stl07 wrote:
chalupas54 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

But all of this might be to complement WW and the uptick of charters and WN flights to the carribean

I don't think charters haven't gone up much, if any, in the last couple years. They run the same routes (which basically maxes at at 1 flight a day not counting F9) just the a carriers have changed. Only change is WOW and WN. Not sure that alone would be much of a reason to have the RFP they have out for Customs locations (handing 4 or 5 planes at once, etc). A move wouldn't probably impact WN at all. They wouldn't be moving. They can handle their currently levels pretty easily.

chalupas54

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm

jrkstl wrote:
Please be STL-AMS!
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see STL-LHR, or STL-CDG, but connections, etc. at AMS are so much better IMHO

I think that would work, but from my understanding, STL is pursuing LHR and FRA the hardest. I would be pleasantly surprised with AMS.

kavok

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:54 pm

In general (with some notable exceptions), these TATL additions seem to match up with whether the market is historically a OneWorld Alliance FF base, SkyTeam FF base, etc.

Indy is historically DL heavy, gets TATL to CDG. BNA is historically AA heavy, gets LHR, and now PIT which (due to USAir) is AA heavy, now gets LHR. This makes me believe STL will eventually be getting a LHR flight.

mutu

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm

kavok wrote:
In general (with some notable exceptions), these TATL additions seem to match up with whether the market is historically a OneWorld Alliance FF base, SkyTeam FF base, etc.

Indy is historically DL heavy, gets TATL to CDG. BNA is historically AA heavy, gets LHR, and now PIT which (due to USAir) is AA heavy, now gets LHR. This makes me believe STL will eventually be getting a LHR flight.

I would agree entirely, and don't rule out totally BA for the August announcement. With good AA data/FF members, the RETURN to PIT may not be a true new route opening with the same degree of risk. I understand there is a good amount of transfers over PHL ORD and JFK at the moment.
BA may just have the guts (subject to having the frames) to open STL on the heels of PIT.

ADrum23

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:12 pm

When in August is this big announcement suppose to happen?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 pm

ADrum23 wrote:

In August...................... but I assume you mean when in August and that is unknown. I am hoping the first but because of that it will probably be like the 30th

fmi1

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 pm

chalupas54 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

The PIT incentive was reported to be $1.5 million.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:45 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

In August...................... but I assume you mean when in August and that is unknown. I am hoping the first but because of that it will probably be like the 30th

I just reread your comment but couldn't edit mine. You did say IN August so ignore the first part of my comment..... haha

nmdrdh787

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:52 pm

WHat about STL-DUB?

jplatts

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Southwest has its next schedule extension on August 16th, which is 3 weeks from now, and the WN schedule extension on August 16th will extend the WN flight schedule to April 7, 2019.

Here are some possibilities for further expansion by WN at STL:
  • WN bringing back STL-ABQ, STL-BHM, STL-GRR, STL-SDF, and/or STL-SLC nonstop service
  • WN adding STL-CLT, STL-CVG, STL-JAX, STL-ORF, and/or STL-IAD nonstop service
  • WN increasing frequencies on existing WN nonstop routes out of STL
  • WN adding one-stop, same-plane direct flights between STL and HNL with an intermediate stop at a California airport

Are any of the adds listed above likely to occur at STL by WN on August 16th? If so, which of the adds above are likely to be announced on August 16th?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

Southwest has its next schedule extension on August 16th, which is 3 weeks from now, and the WN schedule extension on August 16th will extend the WN flight schedule to April 7, 2019.

Here are some possibilities for further expansion by WN at STL:
  • WN bringing back STL-ABQ, STL-BHM, STL-GRR, STL-SDF, and/or STL-SLC nonstop service
  • WN adding STL-CLT, STL-CVG, STL-JAX, STL-ORF, and/or STL-IAD nonstop service
  • WN increasing frequencies on existing WN nonstop routes out of STL
  • WN adding one-stop, same-plane direct flights between STL and HNL with an intermediate stop at a California airport

Are any of the adds listed above likely to occur at STL by WN on August 16th? If so, which of the adds above are likely to be announced on August 16th?

Of all the options you listed I think JAX is the most likely.

I am sure there will be increased frequencies, there is every update.

I don't even want a one stop same plane to HNL. WN doesn't serve food on their flights so that would be a super long trip to not have time to get a meal. I know you can get off and back on but if it is a quick turn there really won't be time for that. I would rather just have an 60-75 minute layover.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

I don't even want a one stop same plane to HNL. WN doesn't serve food on their flights so that would be a super long trip to not have time to get a meal. I know you can get off and back on but if it is a quick turn there really won't be time for that. I would rather just have an 60-75 minute layover.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of DVTs, even five hours (that is, west coast to HI) worries me a bit. This is why I think twin-aisle would still have some cachet among the flying public--the walking-around, doing laps factor.

ADrum23

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:37 pm

jrkstl wrote:
Please be STL-AMS!

I recently did BNA-BLR via LHR and found the connection fairly easy. Granted, I didn't have to leave Terminal 5, I suppose it would have been more difficult had I transferred from an AA flight at T3.

Trololzilla

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Even if BA doesn't announce STL-LHR, any chance AA does? They're both Oneworld, and even with all the damage that AA did to STL there's still a decent FF base here (not to mention a club).

chalupas54

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:02 am

I think it depends really. All we really do know for certain is that there is a wildfire rumor of an August announcement, ample documentation preparing for significant customs upgrades, a section of concourse reopening.

STL has been quiet on today's news, which is unusual.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:21 am

chalupas54 wrote:
I think it depends really. All we really do know for certain is that there is a wildfire rumor of an August announcement, ample documentation preparing for significant customs upgrades, a section of concourse reopening.

STL has been quiet on today's news, which is unusual.

Probably leading to Quantas flying a A380 to Sydney, to be honest.

symphonicpoet

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:56 am

^Nice!

. . . well, the airport was on record at some point in saying they didn't want to deal with the beached white elephant-whale, so . . . my money should probably be on that Sydney flight.

Count me in the curious to see what comes in August, but well pleased with the way things have gone no matter what the answer club. (Might be a pretty small club, but I'm guessing I'm not alone.)
TW AA MU JL KE DL UA LOF GJS SKW WN VN
STL JFK FRA GVA CDG IAD ORD PVG SGN NRT ICN ATL SFO HKG MDW LGA BNA DTW LHR
L1011 MD82 83 88 B737 738 741 744 762 763 772 773 777 A320 330 350 E175 C700

STLflyer

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
WHat about STL-DUB?

Connection options in DUB are a lot more limited than LHR, CDG and AMS. IMO the only way a TATL flight is going to work is with connecting traffic to other cities, I don't think there are enough St. Louisans flying just to Dublin on any given day to make that route successful long term.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:37 pm

STLflyer wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
WHat about STL-DUB?

Connection options in DUB are a lot more limited than LHR, CDG and AMS. IMO the only way a TATL flight is going to work is with connecting traffic to other cities, I don't think there are enough St. Louisans flying just to Dublin on any given day to make that route successful long term.

I would rather have STL-DUB than London personally but I think flyer is right about it not being what we get. With Aer Lingus switching (or maybe switching?) to One World, it probably ups the chances a bit but still don't see it.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Interview with Jeff Lea (with audio)

https://www.missourinet.com/2018/07/26/ ... ere-audio/

34 straight months of growth.

“They’ve (Southwest) strategically been moving some of their flights out of (Chicago) Midway and into St. Louis so that the connecting traffic is not having to go through their Chicago airport but rather through St. Louis,” says Lea.

Lea also tells Missourinet about 4,000 people have traveled from Lambert to Iceland on WOW air, since the international service began in May.

He says in the actual interview that it is over 4,000. This was through 6 weeks, so pretty good. If June was 100% full it would have been around 4k so Just guessing it has to be in the 80s% for loads.

Also, says they have a few more flights to add to their schedule. Not sure if that means the ones already announced or more after that.

TWA302

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm

AF1 is on finals now https://www.liveatc.net/get_asx_feed.php?mount=kstl2

Live stream on the STL FB page https://www.facebook.com/flystl/videos/2290188444341667/

***Edit, looks like he arrived in the C-32!***

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:38 pm

TWA302 wrote:

Live stream on the STL FB page https://www.facebook.com/flystl/videos/2290188444341667/

I just was getting on here to say that isn't the normal 747. It's a 2 engine.

TWA302

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:

I just was getting on here to say that isn't the normal 747. It's a 2 engine.

Probably because DBQ longest runway is 6500' so they used the C-32 vs the VC-25A. Only reason I can think of.

stl07

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:52 pm

https://twitter.com/AviationStl

Who is this? JShank?
Thanks for doing this

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AviationStl

Who is this? JShank?
Thanks for doing this

Yes

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
In more rosey news.

Traffic up 7.6% in June
5.6% up on the year.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... PubRel.pdf

So someone missed some numbers

Updated

Up 8% in June
6.2% on the year.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... -26-18.pdf

stl07

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:04 am

Huh, since everyone is talking about TATL, I just read and realized that we got a steal on the KEF service. CLE is paying 1 million each even though 2 airlines are competing, we are only paying 800k and we have year-round service. Yes, I get that CVG/PIT pay the same amount, but WW is our first flight and we didn't have to pay the premium usually seen in that (Stuff like 9 million on seasonal PIT-CDG or as already stated 1 mil to KEF).

stl07

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:05 am

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I don't think STL has that type of money.

stl07

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:11 am

mwmav8r01

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:19 am

Hoping for a STL crew base for WN in STL. Though dont think that would be major news.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Following the info from last week of Volaris taking over some charter routes, F9 is taking over the Punta Cana flights next year. Not for sale on their site but since they sell Cancun separate, I could see Punta Cana for sale separate also. It also is going from 2 days a week to 3 next year.

Still waiting on Jamaica. If Southwest were to add another intl route I think it would be Jamaica.

http://www.applevacations.com/flight-sc ... -st_louis/

TWA302

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:02 pm

stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

It isn't a direct payment, but more along incentives/tax breaks. It is funny how the city council can come up with these massive incentive plans (in the billions of $) for companies to move here/stay here but struggle to bring added flights back where it makes sense. The numbers are there to support it. IMHO, it is a question of WHEN, versus IF. The port authority sure came up with a big time incentive plan to have China Eastern Cargo here, I am sure they can put the pencil to the paper and come up with a lucrative plan for a European carrier.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:21 pm

TWA302 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

It isn't a direct payment, but more along incentives/tax breaks. It is funny how the city council can come up with these massive incentive plans (in the billions of $) for companies to move here/stay here but struggle to bring added flights back where it makes sense. The numbers are there to support it. IMHO, it is a question of WHEN, versus IF. The port authority sure came up with a big time incentive plan to have China Eastern Cargo here, I am sure they can put the pencil to the paper and come up with a lucrative plan for a European carrier.

After they lost out on BA last year the Port Authority put in extra money to use for this year.

gerstetm

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Emailing an employee at STL about BA flights at Pittsburgh and their view on it. Looks like it’s this whole privatization thing keeping us back. What are your thoughts? “There is one very unique difference between STL and PIT, AUS and BNA. I can’t say what that difference is but google lambert. You’ll see. I feel like we’re doing our best and deserve service from a major network air carrier but with one big issue hanging over us. Believe me, what I hear from those air carriers l can’t repeat”.

stl07

Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:57 pm

gerstetm wrote:
Emailing an employee at STL about BA flights at Pittsburgh and their view on it. Looks like it’s this whole privatization thing keeping us back. What are your thoughts? “There is one very unique difference between STL and PIT, AUS and BNA. I can’t say what that difference is but google lambert. You’ll see. I feel like we’re doing our best and deserve service from a major network air carrier but with one big issue hanging over us. Believe me, what I hear from those air carriers l can’t repeat”.

I googled Lambert and got a bunch of pictures of Trump and air force one/two haha.

Lexy

Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:05 am

gerstetm wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Also, nobody “deserves “ service. It’s typically earned and subsidized for airports without a hub airline.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

stl07

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:14 am

Lexy wrote:
gerstetm wrote:

That makes no sense whatsoever. Also, nobody “deserves “ service. It’s typically earned and subsidized for airports without a hub airline.

Let's just say the privatization process at Lambert isn't -shall I say- following the law.

Lexy

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:06 am

stl07 wrote:
Lexy wrote:
gerstetm wrote:

Let's just say the privatization process at Lambert isn't -shall I say- following the law.

Now I’m tracking.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

chalupas54

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:10 am

gerstetm wrote:

Firstly, half of the employees are gagged about privatization. They can't and won't talk about it. Also, the privatization discussions will have NO impact on air service. Absolutely none. The only time we would see an impact is post-privatization. If you're going to make things up, I would encourage you to actually do research.

N983AN

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:46 am

Maybe once the STL region can learn how to maintain and safely operate their light rail system and address its race relations challenges it can graduate to the big leagues and may get the attention of BA. But how do they expect to profitably fill seats particularly in the forward cabin? Hate to break it to people in Missouri but STL is at best stagnant and not really relevant on the national, let alone international stage.
Last edited by N983AN on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerstetm

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:55 am

chalupas54 wrote:
gerstetm wrote:

Firstly, half of the employees are gagged about privatization. They can't and won't talk about it. Also, the privatization discussions will have NO impact on air service. Absolutely none. The only time we would see an impact is post-privatization. If you're going to make things up, I would encourage you to actually do research.

What did I make up? I actually have done research. Also, I never confirmed anything, I just went off of my conversation with somebody in the Route Devlopment Team. Privatization is the only major difference from STL and those cities. Which is why I thought maybe something behind all that is keeping BA coming.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos