Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA302

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I thought I was googling it right, but apparently not. I can't read their articles but thanks for posting anyway.

To what airport, I meant from Fort Leonardwood to what airport? I figured Silver might fly somewhere else than STL.

I searched "EAS Ft. Leonard Wood" and google shows just a tiny part of that article but says the proposals from Cape Air, Air Choice One and Silver Airways. I would gamble to say flights would be from STL-TBN.

Very interesting since Silver is having huge issues with those ATR certifications and just cancelled the Branson flights. I truly wonder about their financial health as well.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Anyone on here taken WOW yet? Thoughts? Seat advice? General advice about Iceland. I am thinking about going in March.

Midwestindy

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
I like how midwestindy puts out some of his info so I am going to copy it. I won't do it for everything but I will for some routes.

I put in the INTL LF numbers for March (I'll do domestic June later this week)

YYZ on AC
Total seats up 58% Total passengers up 28%

CUN on F9
Total seats even, Total passengers down 6%

HUX on Swift
Total seats up 10%, Total passengers up 61%

MBJ on Swift
Total seats up 61%, Total passengers up 20%

PVR on Swift
Total seats up 13%, Total passengers up 37%

PUJ on Swift
Total seats up 13%, Total passengers up 1%

Link to LF spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Why thank you, I personally love your LF/schedule spreadsheets, keep up the good work
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
I like how midwestindy puts out some of his info so I am going to copy it. I won't do it for everything but I will for some routes.

I put in the INTL LF numbers for March (I'll do domestic June later this week)

YYZ on AC

CUN on F9
Total seats even, Total passengers down 6%

HUX on Swift
Total seats up 10%, Total passengers up 61%

MBJ on Swift
Total seats up 61%, Total passengers up 20%

PVR on Swift
Total seats up 13%, Total passengers up 37%

PUJ on Swift
Total seats up 13%, Total passengers up 1%

Link to LF spreadsheet.

Why thank you, I personally love your LF/schedule spreadsheets, keep up the good work

I like how it adds some other info to a LF. People might see a LF is down (ie Air Canada) and think passengers are down but not realize there actually are more seats being sold, just not as many as capacity increased. I hadn't thought about looking at it that way before.

TWA302

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Anyone on here taken WOW yet? Thoughts? Seat advice? General advice about Iceland. I am thinking about going in March.

Haven't been on WOW before, BUT you need to go to the food and fun fest. http://www.foodandfun.is/. It is AMAZING! If you go during this, ensure you book tables waaaaaaaaaay in advance. Glaciers are really blue this time of year and the tours of that are stunning. 3/1 is also National Beer Day :-) Whale watching. Didn't do this because the weather was not good, but we had planned on it. I love Iceland. There is a TON to do. We just asked around where the local people would eat with their families and made a list. Was impressed. It is cold and snows a ton still there so be prepared. Good time to go since prices will be low.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:29 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Haven't been on WOW before, BUT you need to go to the food and fun fest. http://www.foodandfun.is/. It is AMAZING! If you go during this, ensure you book tables waaaaaaaaaay in advance. Glaciers are really blue this time of year and the tours of that are stunning. 3/1 is also National Beer Day :-) Whale watching. Didn't do this because the weather was not good, but we had planned on it. I love Iceland. There is a TON to do. We just asked around where the local people would eat with their families and made a list. Was impressed. It is cold and snows a ton still there so be prepared. Good time to go since prices will be low.

Ohhh. I might have to move it to go to this. Looks fun. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Saw a post on another forum that said Spirit is going to start service at STL in January. Obviously, a rumor to take with a grain of salt, but I wanted to note it. Not sure how much the poster actually knows. We'll see.

maps4ltd

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Saw a post on another forum that said Spirit is going to start service at STL in January. Obviously, a rumor to take with a grain of salt, but I wanted to note it. Not sure how much the poster actually knows. We'll see.

That would be in keeping with their smaller-city expansion strategy, going into places like Columbus and Asheville to Florida markets.
Next flights:
AA1003 STL-ORD Airbus A319 November 25
AA3170 ORD-ASE Bombardier CRJ-700 November 25
AA3247 ASE-ORD Bombardier CRJ-700 November 29
AA1960 ORD-STL Airbus A319 November 29

jplatts

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:41 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

That would be in keeping with their smaller-city expansion strategy, going into places like Columbus and Asheville to Florida markets.

In addition to Florida, NK could also possibly add nonstop service to BWI, DFW, DTW, LAS, and MYR from STL if it starts service out of STL.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:57 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

It also mentioned VPS and OKC, fwiw.

It would explain why STL is reopening gates, but again I have been burnt to many time by "posters with sources" so I'll believe it when I see it.

STLflyer

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Yup I was on their inaugural to KEF and came back a few days later. I had no complaints about WOW, I knew exactly what to expect with regards to bag fees and buy on board so there were no surprises. I paid for a seat selection and chose an aisle seat up front. On the way back, I paid for an aisle seat as well but had an entire row to myself so I sat in the window.

Iceland itself is beautiful. Reykjavik is a nice, walkable city, but only worth a couple days. Definitely rent a car and plan on getting outside of the city. Oh, and Iceland is expensive. Very, very expensive. But so worth it.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 pm

STLflyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Yup I was on their inaugural to KEF and came back a few days later. I had no complaints about WOW, I knew exactly what to expect with regards to bag fees and buy on board so there were no surprises. I paid for a seat selection and chose an aisle seat up front. On the way back, I paid for an aisle seat as well but had an entire row to myself so I sat in the window.

Iceland itself is beautiful. Reykjavik is a nice, walkable city, but only worth a couple days. Definitely rent a car and plan on getting outside of the city. Oh, and Iceland is expensive. Very, very expensive. But so worth it.

We are looking at a Thursday morning arrival (4:30 am.. ick) and leaving on Sunday. Hotels seem pretty cheap for when we are going, must be the low season. Plenty of places for under $150ish a night. I am not sure how driving in winter will go. Do they do a good job clearing roads or should I look for other forms of transportation?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:15 pm

STLflyer wrote:

I paid for a seat selection and chose an aisle seat up front. On the way back, I paid for an aisle seat as well but had an entire row to myself so I sat in the window.

Did you have normal/XL/XXL/Big seat? How was whichever you chose.

StlHsvSfoSan

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 am

Jshank83 wrote:

I took Wow Airlines KEF-STL in early August. (I took Icelandair MSP-KEF on the way to Iceland) I bought the fare that included everything I needed, and chose one of the Big Seats in the second row (2x2 seating) - I like having the extra room. The flight was on time, the cabin crew were polite and did their jobs well, and the seat was comfortable. KEF airport itself was a total zoo (not nearly enough gates or seating areas for the passengers - we took a bus to a remote stand to board the aircraft (which I like doing). I had a pre-ordered meal (included in my fare) of a ham and cheese baguette. It tasted good but the quantity was a bit underwhelming. It was nice going through customs/immigration in STL and then just catching my ride home, instead of going through security/rechecking bags/etc to make a connection. Overall it was a good flight and I would consider using them again.

As far.as Iceland is concerned, it was nice. (This was late July/Early August, March I am sure is a bit different). Weather was warm (55-60 F) and the sun was out at least part of every day. I took a tour that went around the perimeter of the island, Only one full day was spent in Reykjavik - I think the rural part of Iceland is nicer. I would definitely try to get of the city for as long as you can, depending on the weather and road conditions.

stl07

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am

This is more for laughs but "swiss skies" is planning to fly to CVG
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1404337
Maybe they are our "mystery TATL"
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:12 am

StlHsvSfoSan wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

I took Wow Airlines KEF-STL in early August. (I took Icelandair MSP-KEF on the way to Iceland) I bought the fare that included everything I needed, and chose one of the Big Seats in the second row (2x2 seating) - I like having the extra room. The flight was on time, the cabin crew were polite and did their jobs well, and the seat was comfortable. KEF airport itself was a total zoo (not nearly enough gates or seating areas for the passengers - we took a bus to a remote stand to board the aircraft (which I like doing). I had a pre-ordered meal (included in my fare) of a ham and cheese baguette. It tasted good but the quantity was a bit underwhelming. It was nice going through customs/immigration in STL and then just catching my ride home, instead of going through security/rechecking bags/etc to make a connection. Overall it was a good flight and I would consider using them again.

As far.as Iceland is concerned, it was nice. (This was late July/Early August, March I am sure is a bit different). Weather was warm (55-60 F) and the sun was out at least part of every day. I took a tour that went around the perimeter of the island, Only one full day was spent in Reykjavik - I think the rural part of Iceland is nicer. I would definitely try to get of the city for as long as you can, depending on the weather and road conditions.

Thanks for the tips. The weather has me a bit nervous about trying to get around in my own. I am pretty comfortable driving in the snow we have here but there might be a different story. We might just home base in Reykjavik and get bus day tours or whatever to other parts of the island. We can always go back in summer sometime and venture out more.

I like you, usually like the rural areas more. Ireland was that way for me. One day in Dublin was more than enough.

ruskistl

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:28 am

Another question about WOW if someone can help. I've looked into booking STL - TLV. Outbound is fine but when looking for a return trip the site doesn't have it. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:08 pm

ruskistl wrote:
Another question about WOW if someone can help. I've looked into booking STL - TLV. Outbound is fine but when looking for a return trip the site doesn't have it. Anyone have any similar experiences?

I am pretty sure I heard they are cutting that route. So that might be why. I don't know the end date though.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:33 pm

BLV looking to expand/renovate.
https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article218726470.html

WestStar building another new hanger in Bethalto (ALN)
http://altondailynews.com/news/details. ... 6TxiXtKhhE

lydh

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
StlHsvSfoSan wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. The weather has me a bit nervous about trying to get around in my own. I am pretty comfortable driving in the snow we have here but there might be a different story. We might just home base in Reykjavik and get bus day tours or whatever to other parts of the island. We can always go back in summer sometime and venture out more.

I like you, usually like the rural areas more. Ireland was that way for me. One day in Dublin was more than enough.

Iceland in winter is not for the faint of heart. You can read about my road trip a few years ago here: https://leaveyourdailyhell.com/2015/12/ ... errifying/

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:04 pm

lydh wrote:
Iceland in winter is not for the faint of heart. You can read about my road trip a few years ago here: https://leaveyourdailyhell.com/2015/12/ ... errifying/

:shock: Well luckily when we are going there is just over 10 hours of daylight instead of 4. But this makes me even more likely to just do day trips where I don't have to drive, haha. I am not too worried about the temps, I dealt with a straight month of highs below freezing this past winter so I got plenty of cold gear.

STLflyer

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
STLflyer wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

We are looking at a Thursday morning arrival (4:30 am.. ick) and leaving on Sunday. Hotels seem pretty cheap for when we are going, must be the low season. Plenty of places for under $150ish a night. I am not sure how driving in winter will go. Do they do a good job clearing roads or should I look for other forms of transportation?

I was there in May and snow wasn't an issue. It was cold but no snow. Rained quite a bit though.

ruskistl

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
ruskistl wrote:

I am pretty sure I heard they are cutting that route. So that might be why. I don't know the end date though.

No this was an issue before that announcement. But even so, why one direction but not back?

777PHX

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:14 pm

ruskistl wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
ruskistl wrote:

No this was an issue before that announcement. But even so, why one direction but not back?

It looks like REK-STL doesn't operate on the same days as TLV-REK does.

deltaflyertoo

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi-excuse the random question-but recently I saw some Youtube videos showing old footage of TWA's operations at STL from back in the day. I noticed that for eastbound flow-they would have departures cross the runway nearest the terminals and take off from the outer runways (while landing traffic on the inner-closer ). Why is this? I've observed on more recent "trip report" videos same scenario. Most US airports use the closest runway for departures and land on outer runways...why does STL do the other?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 pm

deltaflyertoo wrote:
Hi-excuse the random question-but recently I saw some Youtube videos showing old footage of TWA's operations at STL from back in the day. I noticed that for eastbound flow-they would have departures cross the runway nearest the terminals and take off from the outer runways (while landing traffic on the inner-closer ). Why is this? I've observed on more recent "trip report" videos same scenario. Most US airports use the closest runway for departures and land on outer runways...why does STL do the other?

Only thing I can think of is taxing less when you figure you won't be using the entire runway on landing. The runways are offset some so you are using the closest take off point and then the landing turn off will be closer then the end of the other runway.

Also when in an eastbound flow there will be less airplanes landing on the main runways then taking off than when in westbound flow. The airlines in A use the new runway to land in eastbound flow and take off in west bound. Not sure how that changes things but it might factor in.

777PHX

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:12 pm

deltaflyertoo wrote:

I honestly can't recall ever seeing this in person. It's always been 30L for departures and 30R for arrivals.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Numbers for August are out.

36 straight months of Passenger growth. Passed 10 mil for the year.

Passengers up 6.8% on the month. 6% on the year.
Cargo up 4.7% for the month 3.5% for the year.

https://www.flystl.com/uploads/document ... PubRel.pdf

Jshank83
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm

777PHX wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:

I honestly can't recall ever seeing this in person. It's always been 30L for departures and 30R for arrivals.

It is for westbound. Eastbound has more arrivals on 12R than 12L.

ruskistl

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:51 am

777PHX wrote:
ruskistl wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

It looks like REK-STL doesn't operate on the same days as TLV-REK does.

Thanks, that makes sense

stl07

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:57 pm

BA announces KIX
Uggggggh...
I know some on here had heard about a possibility of a fall announcement, I guess this was that opportunity.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

stl07

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:02 am

Do you need tickets for the airshow up in Chesterfield or can you view it fine without tickets? I'm unsure if I can make it so I don't want to buy tickets if I don't have to.

777PHX

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:24 am

stl07 wrote:
Do you need tickets for the airshow up in Chesterfield or can you view it fine without tickets? I'm unsure if I can make it so I don't want to buy tickets if I don't have to.

The last time I was there was a decade ago, but I'm sure you can buy tickets at the gate if you need to.

maps4ltd

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 am

Jshank83 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
deltaflyertoo wrote:

It is for westbound. Eastbound has more arrivals on 12R than 12L.

I've landed on 12R before, but this was late at night, with not a lot of traffic.
Next flights:
AA1003 STL-ORD Airbus A319 November 25
AA3170 ORD-ASE Bombardier CRJ-700 November 25
AA3247 ASE-ORD Bombardier CRJ-700 November 29
AA1960 ORD-STL Airbus A319 November 29

stl07

Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 am

777PHX wrote:
stl07 wrote:

The last time I was there was a decade ago, but I'm sure you can buy tickets at the gate if you need to.

They sold out last time I think. Was it any good?

mwmav8r01

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 am

777PHX wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Tickets sold online only this year.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Load Factors are in for June

All figures are an average of both ways. You can look at the spreadsheet for full numbers

AS
SAN -88%
SEA - 93.5%

AA
LAX - 91%
All others in the 80s

DL
CVG - 67%
SLC - 90%
All others in the 80s

F9
All in the 90s

WN
BOS - 79%
HOU - 79%
MSY - 76%

In the 90s
CLE
CMH
DEN
DSM
MKE
LGA
EWR
OAK
OMA
MCO
PIT
PDX
RDU
SMF (98% inbound)
SFO
SJC
SEA
ICT
All others in the 80s

UA
DEN - 93%
EWR - 92%
IAD - 91%
All others in the 80s

Full numbers (I'll add in G4 at BLV later)

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 pm

^Link has been updated with G4 numbers.

TWA302

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Look at you getting kudos from the Lambert folks on Twitter! :checkmark: Nice work as always. Great to see this continued butts in the seats

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:19 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Look at you getting kudos from the Lambert folks on Twitter! :checkmark: Nice work as always. Great to see this continued butts in the seats

Thanks. I thought I was going to get something cool out of it. All they wanted was to know who was running it. lame. haha.

777PHX

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:15 pm

stl07 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stl07 wrote:

They sold out last time I think. Was it any good?

I think 2007 was the last time I went and it was pretty decent. The Blue Angels were there, Boeing had a F-15SK demonstration, and a bunch of static stuff. The Scott AFB air show used to be great too, but I think they canceled that one(?).

TWA302

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 pm

The ZX flights from YYZ seem to be 1/2 full pretty much in all the reports. I know they have been flying this for years, but any chance that it might be lost?

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:46 pm

TWA302 wrote:
The ZX flights from YYZ seem to be 1/2 full pretty much in all the reports. I know they have been flying this for years, but any chance that it might be lost?

Jshank83 wrote:
YYZ on AC

Passengers were up 28% in March YOY. Loads are down because they added a 3rd flight a day.

It just runs light in winter. Summer 2017 (after the 3rd frequency was added) it ran 80%s

Jshank83
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:06 pm

TWA302 wrote:

To add to my above post they are adding a 3rd Sunday flights starting November 4th. Now will be 3x daily except Saturdays.

stl07

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:49 am

Jshank83 wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Thanks. I thought I was going to get something cool out of it. All they wanted was to know who was running it. lame. haha.

Why did they haha? Maybe they'll allow you to run their twitter account.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:34 pm

Not seeing anything new on the southwest extension. I'll go thru frequencies later today. MBJ/PUJ/PBI didn't continue into this extension. Hopefully MBJ/PUJ come back for summer.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:46 pm

Southwest update today.

April
118 mon-fri (+5)
88 Sat (+3)
124 Sun (+12)

802 a week (+40)

Changes from last April on WN.

CUN +1 Sun-Fri
CMH +1 Sun-Fri
FLL +1 Daily
BDL +1 Daily
PHL +1 Mon- Fri

DAL +1 Sat
PHX +1 Sat

AUS +1 Sun
CHS +1 Sun
CLE +1 Sun
RSW +1 Sun
LAX +1 Sun
MSY +1 Sun
OMA +1 Sun
RDU +1 Sun
TPA +1 Sun

DCA -1 Sat
LAS -1 Sun

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 pm

Frequency Spreadsheet for November complete for all airlines

STL down 9 flights a week (keep in mind it is down 60 EAS flights so it really is up 51 flights a week on non EAS airlines)
BLV down 3 a week. (FLL/JAX) went seasonal. Possibly due to MD retirements.

TWA302

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

STL down 9 flights a week (keep in mind it is down 60 EAS flights so it really is up 51 flights a week on non EAS airlines)

Good Lord, down 60 EAS flights? That is a ton.

Jshank83
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:49 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Good Lord, down 60 EAS flights? That is a ton.

Yeah Quincy and Cape G had about the highest frequency of all of them we had.