User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:53 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BLV is looking to expand. 2 new gates. $30 million dollars. Start next Fall and it would take 3 years.

Most interesting part to me is the expansion looks to include INTL baggage claim. So it makes me wonder if they have had talks to add a flight to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Personally, I want the airport to do well but they bleed money every year as is. I am not sure an expansion when you are relying exclusively on one airline is the best use of funds. If Allegiant goes under, gets bought out, or decides to leave you are stuck with no one.

Floor plan level 1:

https://www.blvmasterplan.com/wp-conten ... 1018-1.pdf

Level 2:

https://www.blvmasterplan.com/wp-conten ... 1018-1.pdf

Articles:
https://www.riverbender.com/articles/de ... -32237.cfm

https://www.kmov.com/news/midamerica-ai ... 1d5b6.html


That is a TON of cash to blow. Wow...
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:05 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
BLV is looking to expand. 2 new gates. $30 million dollars. Start next Fall and it would take 3 years.

Most interesting part to me is the expansion looks to include INTL baggage claim. So it makes me wonder if they have had talks to add a flight to Mexico or the Caribbean.

Personally, I want the airport to do well but they bleed money every year as is. I am not sure an expansion when you are relying exclusively on one airline is the best use of funds. If Allegiant goes under, gets bought out, or decides to leave you are stuck with no one.

Floor plan level 1:

https://www.blvmasterplan.com/wp-conten ... 1018-1.pdf

Level 2:

https://www.blvmasterplan.com/wp-conten ... 1018-1.pdf

Articles:
https://www.riverbender.com/articles/de ... -32237.cfm

https://www.kmov.com/news/midamerica-ai ... 1d5b6.html


That is a TON of cash to blow. Wow...


They get the luxury of blowing a bunch of federal money on it, I guess. It think the government covers something like 75% of it. But 7 million out of the local government seems a tad silly when they aren't even making a profit as is.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:44 am

Why don't we privatize BLV, the airport that actually needs to be privatized?
 
Trololzilla
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 am

^ That requires investors willing to assume the airport's risks and prospects - you can't force anyone to buy it if no one's biting.

It's likely much, MUCH easier to get a ROI out of STL than it would be from BLV, hence why STL's the one with all the privatization talk.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Yea, it is hard to get anyone to buy into an airport that is losing money every year and there isn't much prospect for it to make money.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Sun country has doubled RSW service starting feb.

Weird since it is so late
 
stlgph
Posts: 10701
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 pm

You mean four times per week February until when do they take a hiatus....end of April?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:20 am

stlgph wrote:
You mean four times per week February until when do they take a hiatus....end of April?

yes
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:30 am

stl07 wrote:
Sun country has doubled RSW service starting feb.

Weird since it is so late


Probably for Spring Break.

In March flights to RSW/PGD on Saturday will be
1x Sun County
5x Southwest

Sunday will be
1x Sun Country
4x Southwest
1x Allegiant
 
pmanni1
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 am

SY seems smart to start off small in STL and take baby steps with adding frequencies. So far they must be experiencing success or they wouldn't be adding. Curious as to what they may add in the future. Does STL get much O & D to Myrtle Beach, Biloxi, Savannah a few flights per week? Would they compete with AA, WN & AS on a few flights per week to LAX or SAN?
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:58 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
pmanni1 wrote:
SY seems smart to start off small in STL and take baby steps with adding frequencies. So far they must be experiencing success or they wouldn't be adding. Curious as to what they may add in the future. Does STL get much O & D to Myrtle Beach, Biloxi, Savannah a few flights per week? Would they compete with AA, WN & AS on a few flights per week to LAX or SAN?


G4 runs 2x weekly to Myrtle Beach from BLV in Summer already. So not sure they would do it. Savannah would be cool. SAN already is pretty covered with AS/WN running 3 daily most of the time. I’ve been curious if they would try PDX in the summer. WN is pretty full on it and AS was full when they were running it on an E175. I am curious to what/if they try for summer routes.
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
pmanni1 wrote:
SY seems smart to start off small in STL and take baby steps with adding frequencies. So far they must be experiencing success or they wouldn't be adding. Curious as to what they may add in the future. Does STL get much O & D to Myrtle Beach, Biloxi, Savannah a few flights per week? Would they compete with AA, WN & AS on a few flights per week to LAX or SAN?


G4 runs 2x weekly to Myrtle Beach from BLV in Summer already. So not sure they would do it. Savannah would be cool. SAN already is pretty covered with AS/WN running 3 daily most of the time. I’ve been curious if they would try PDX in the summer. WN is pretty full on it and AS was full when they were running it on an E175. I am curious to what/if they try for summer routes.


Yeah, WN is routinely running 738s with 90% loads on that route now, and AS SEA service is starting to get wobbly. I believe when PDX was cut, they switched from 1 E75 and 1 739 to 2x 739s, but it seems that the SEA frequencies are sometimes going to 738s. Interesting trend.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm

maps4ltd wrote:

Yeah, WN is routinely running 738s with 90% loads on that route now, and AS SEA service is starting to get wobbly. I believe when PDX was cut, they switched from 1 E75 and 1 739 to 2x 739s, but it seems that the SEA frequencies are sometimes going to 738s. Interesting trend.


Loads are good for AS on SEA still. 86% for Jan-Aug so far. 90s for most of summer. Passengers are up 3.5% on it over last year thru August.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:53 pm

https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-new ... l-from-stl

I like how we keep breaking the news here and then the airport later publishes it online officially
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:33 am

stl07 wrote:
https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-news/2018/sun-country-airlines-to-expand-service-to-fort-myers-fl-from-stl

I like how we keep breaking the news here and then the airport later publishes it online officially


That's a.net in a nutshell.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 am

stl07 wrote:
https://www.flystl.com/newsroom/stl-news/2018/sun-country-airlines-to-expand-service-to-fort-myers-fl-from-stl

I like how we keep breaking the news here and then the airport later publishes it online officially


They have gotten somewhat better. Last Southwest extension they had a release really early (before I even woke up). Usually something comes out later in the day, at best. Probably depends on how proactive the airline is telling them things.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 906
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:06 am

How do you watch the meetings?
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 am

stl07 wrote:
How do you watch the meetings?


https://www.fly314.com/transparency-portal/

Any airport related meeting is posted here.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:04 am

Watching the meeting from yesterday.

More opening T2 to T1 talk. Sounds like it still would take Southwest opening more gates but if they do it would open all the way so you could clear security from T1 if your flight was out of one of the old D gates and cut down on your walk.

They are adding a fast service type restaurant somewhere near the bend past E33. No word on the restaurant.

Lots of T2 traffic talk.

For Pick ups, they are going to move the Customs/Boarder police parking to open up some spots there next week.

Option 1 - paving and adding spots just east of T2 in the grass area.
Option 2 - Entire South lane would be cars only
Option 3 - Most of North lane for cars (but some shuttles would still share it)

I am all for option 2. Don't mix shuttles and cars.

Drop offs
They are going to restripe lanes to add 6 or 8 more spots. They are pretty wide now so they would put them to a more normal width.

There is also talk of adding a 3rd turn in lane coming from the west. Adding 2 new garage entrances.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
Watching the meeting from yesterday.

More opening T2 to T1 talk. Sounds like it still would take Southwest opening more gates but if they do it would open all the way so you could clear security from T1 if your flight was out of one of the old D gates and cut down on your walk.

They are adding a fast service type restaurant somewhere near the bend past E33. No word on the restaurant.

Lots of T2 traffic talk.

For Pick ups, they are going to move the Customs/Boarder police parking to open up some spots there next week.

Option 1 - paving and adding spots just east of T2 in the grass area.
Option 2 - Entire South lane would be cars only
Option 3 - Most of North lane for cars (but some shuttles would still share it)

I am all for option 2. Don't mix shuttles and cars.

Drop offs
They are going to restripe lanes to add 6 or 8 more spots. They are pretty wide now so they would put them to a more normal width.

There is also talk of adding a 3rd turn in lane coming from the west. Adding 2 new garage entrances.


A shame they don't look at adding another level or two to the parking garage for T2. That sucker is a mess. I don't park there for flights, just for when I have to pick-up/drop.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:03 pm

TWA302 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Watching the meeting from yesterday.

More opening T2 to T1 talk. Sounds like it still would take Southwest opening more gates but if they do it would open all the way so you could clear security from T1 if your flight was out of one of the old D gates and cut down on your walk.

They are adding a fast service type restaurant somewhere near the bend past E33. No word on the restaurant.

Lots of T2 traffic talk.

For Pick ups, they are going to move the Customs/Boarder police parking to open up some spots there next week.

Option 1 - paving and adding spots just east of T2 in the grass area.
Option 2 - Entire South lane would be cars only
Option 3 - Most of North lane for cars (but some shuttles would still share it)

I am all for option 2. Don't mix shuttles and cars.

Drop offs
They are going to restripe lanes to add 6 or 8 more spots. They are pretty wide now so they would put them to a more normal width.

There is also talk of adding a 3rd turn in lane coming from the west. Adding 2 new garage entrances.


A shame they don't look at adding another level or two to the parking garage for T2. That sucker is a mess. I don't park there for flights, just for when I have to pick-up/drop.


Not sure if the current one was build to be able to add more levels. That said they could add one to the side that doesn't have a garage over it (or make Lot E a garage). It just gets expensive I know.

I still can't believe they only have 8 pick up spots for a terminal doing over half the traffic to the airport. Crazy.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10701
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Re-opening D concourse would be lovely and bittersweet - as it would be open rather than sitting vacant but would still be mostly vacant as the gates sit empty.

That being said re-opening a portion of it may work as a way to perhaps expand the footprint of the terminal area for Terminal 2 ... go out west, then L turn back in creating a box like design to support larger facilities for customs and increased room along the roadway for traffic on the landside.

An idea that would take money, take time and would potentially be very ugly to get there in more ways than one, but once there, will be worth it.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
STLflyer
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 pm

They should re-open the D concourse and turn it into something like the tunnels at DTW and ORD with a trippy light show and music.

Although I guess no one would really need to go through it, since there are no official connections between C and E.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 pm

STLflyer wrote:
They should re-open the D concourse and turn it into something like the tunnels at DTW and ORD with a trippy light show and music.

Although I guess no one would really need to go through it, since there are no official connections between C and E.


I guess Cape/Air Choice One could get rid of the shuttle between the two after that.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10701
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Love the lights idea :)
It wouldn't pay for the project, but putting a re-do of Concourse on HGTV would be really neat, fun and interesting.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 pm

stlgph wrote:
Love the lights idea :)
It wouldn't pay for the project, but putting a re-do of Concourse on HGTV would be really neat, fun and interesting.


Noooooooo! That light tunnel at DTW gives me a headache. Lol. They’d have to post warning signs for those prone to seizures. :hypnotized:
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:53 am

Now we know where the new food location will be in T2. They are replacing the chapel with it.

https://www.kmov.com/news/airport-chape ... c4fa6.html

Also, it looks like ride share pickups in T2 are moving to over in front of the exit for FIS. So no more ride share in the regular passenger pick up.
 
mwmav8r01
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:04 am

Why not connect T1 and T2.. then no need for two.
 
Jshank83
Topic Author
Posts: 2152
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: STL air service discussion - 2018

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:25 am

mwmav8r01 wrote:
Why not connect T1 and T2.. then no need for two.


I kind of thought the same thing. Just “re-evaluate” until they open it back up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos