Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tphuang

Re: Orlando air service discussion - 2018

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:32 am

could be a general NK announcement given their refocus on leisure markets.

Rookinla

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 am

tphuang wrote:

I don't think so. The release was carefully worded to include "service abroad". We will have to see what pans out but I don't believe that this is NK.

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 am

Perhaps Delta announces MCO as a hub? Wishful thinking but highly possible. CDG is a logical add abroad, DL is the likely culprit.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

SumChristianus

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:23 am

Rookinla wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I don't think so. The release was carefully worded to include "service abroad". We will have to see what pans out but I don't believe that this is NK.

Thoughts: in order of likelihood
BA/VS to LHR, a target for MCO?
Norwegian to somewhere?
DL/AF to CDG?
B6 international expansion

Until I read the article, then I saw this:
“Orlando International Airport, the busiest airport in Florida, is about to get even busier,” an airport advisory states. “A major airline service announcement will introduce exciting new domestic and international travel opportunities for Central Florida travelers.”

Even though they say:
The airport hosts Air Canada, Aer Lingus, AeroMexico, Emirates and Lufthansa among others. But it doesn’t have, for example, Air France, any Chinese carriers, Singapore Airlines or Japan Airlines.

It has to be a US carrier then to have domestic AND international. Narrows it down to AA/AS/B6/DL/F9/UA/NK/WN/SY

Toss out AS/AA/and SY (sort of)
UA uhhh forget it, to much out of character
F9/NK maybe.....

But there are no direct flights from Orlando to London’s Heathrow, one of the world’s busiest airports.
Whatever the major announcement, there is substantial opportunity for growth of service at Orlando International.
Promised to be on hand for the announcement are the “featured airline’s” president and chief executive officer and the airline’s chief financial officer.

Sounds like DL from this,
BUT AGAIN … DL leadership will be in MSP to announce MSP-HND tomorrow. (edit got the dates mixed up makes it more likely to be MSP on 6/13 MCO on 6/14 for announcements)

So I'm betting B6 or WN with DL a longshot.
B6 would be a Carribean/Americas/domestic expansion, WN much the same, and DL, I don't know. They seem pretty stretched already with foci/hubs at ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC/LGA/JFK/LAX/SEA/BOS/CVG/RDU (missing any...) but I may be changing my mind AGAIN, two announcements MSP and MCO routes, could make sense to be announced together.

So DL 40%, B6 25%, WN 25%, something else... 10%

Here is the article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/transportation/os-orlando-airport-major-announcement-20180612-story.html
UA DL LH NW AA WN - Hope I don't have to leave WY for a while
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

tphuang

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 am

Based on that article, I would think B6 with an outside shot for WN or NK. I don't see DL doing any meaningful domestic expansion. It would get loose a lot of money on non-hub/focus city routes. The only thing against B6 here is that their new terminal doesn't happen until 2020. So, this would be a little early for that announcement.

n2dru

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:57 am

flymco753 wrote:
Perhaps Delta announces MCO as a hub? Wishful thinking but highly possible. CDG is a logical add abroad, DL is the likely culprit.

Definitely wishful thinking. Delta is not looking to open new hubs and especially not in a LCC dominated airport like MCO. ATL is not far away and has a larger business orientated O&D, a major component for a good hub.

dabpit

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:18 am

Given that SY was going to announce a new focus city at an existing destionation I want to say them but I am hoping for NK.
Carpe Diem

Clipper136

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

ULCC
You can't beat the Experience.

dabpit

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:46 am

Clipper136 wrote:
ULCC

NK? F9(hope not)? SY?
Carpe Diem

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm

n2dru wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Definitely wishful thinking. Delta is not looking to open new hubs and especially not in a LCC dominated airport like MCO. ATL is not far away and has a larger business orientated O&D, a major component for a good hub.
But at a previous town hall/employee appreciation party at MCO, Ed spoke to employees saying Orlando is on the cusp of being a hub.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

NK announced AVL. This growth is exponential.

Could this announcement be NK going to C?

max1313

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 pm

Well not sure if this is what they are going to announce but B6 is going from 63 flights today to 100+ by 2021..... going from 8 gates in the current terminal to 14 in the new terminal and capable to add more.
Plans are to mirror FLL operations

tphuang

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

flymco753 wrote:
n2dru wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

But at a previous town hall/employee appreciation party at MCO, Ed spoke to employees saying Orlando is on the cusp of being a hub.

With the fuel prices spiking, it isn’t going to happen. You should see their yield to lax jfk and bos.

SumChristianus

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Apparently its NK:https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/spirit/114357-mco-major-annoucement.html
Source told me we are gonna get Orlando -bogota, Medellin, GUA, augualdilla , San Salvador, and few others . Bogota and mde being overnights... I could see all of those but who knows . Good source but I don’t put any credence in rumors until it’s official. More stuff is coming that’s a certainty

Not sure if this credible, but with two announcements (AVL and GSO), over the past 24 hours, an MCO announcement would make sense.

Interesting, I had thought WN/DL/B6?
UA DL LH NW AA WN - Hope I don't have to leave WY for a while
"Born in Wonder, Brought to Wisdom"

tphuang

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm

SumChristianus wrote:
Apparently its NK:https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/spirit/114357-mco-major-annoucement.html
Source told me we are gonna get Orlando -bogota, Medellin, GUA, augualdilla , San Salvador, and few others . Bogota and mde being overnights... I could see all of those but who knows . Good source but I don’t put any credence in rumors until it’s official. More stuff is coming that’s a certainty

Not sure if this credible, but with two announcements (AVL and GSO), over the past 24 hours, an MCO announcement would make sense.

It was always more likely to be nk especially after their decision this schedule extension to shift focus to leisure spot. I have to say that if they are introducing these routes then they are beating b6 to the punch on several routes they would probably launch. The question is that with fll just down the road, are they going to make mco the larger Latin America hub?

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:20 pm

tphuang wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

It was always more likely to be nk especially after their decision this schedule extension to shift focus to leisure spot. I have to say that if they are introducing these routes then they are beating b6 to the punch on several routes they would probably launch. The question is that with fll just down the road, are they going to make mco the larger Latin America hub?
B6 said they want to coincide MCO & FLL. Perhaps NK will do the same.

KMCOFlyer

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm

flymco753 wrote:
n2dru wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

I know someone who was at that same meeting and can confirm the same. CDG and LON are on the table and very likely to happen with more domestic flying possible as well but DL typically announces new TATL routes after the summer season so I don’t think this one is with DL. (But I could be wrong)

crownvic

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Lynx (Orlando's Transit System) announcing new nonstop bus service to Disney to compete with Disney Express...this will bring in millions more to MCO.

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:16 pm

crownvic wrote:
Lynx (Orlando's Transit System) announcing new nonstop bus service to Disney to compete with Disney Express...this will bring in millions more to MCO.
Lol you’re joking?

n2dru

Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 am

flymco753 wrote:
n2dru wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

A stronger focus city, focused more on o&d then connecting. DL is moving away from connecting paxs in MCO. The cancellation of MCO-MIA is a indicator. Deciding rather to focus on local domestic/international o&d. I remember the days of the Comair lower level gates full with connecting passengers and the 80s and 90s gates full of mainline/DL Express flights. Those days are gone and unlikely to come back.

dabpit

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:08 pm

It is Spirit!
Carpe Diem

dabpit

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Orlando to/from Starts: Frequency:
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN) October 4 Daily
Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)* October 4 4x weekly
Panama City, Panama (PTY)* October 4 4x weekly
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (SDQ)* October 4 4x weekly until Nov. 7
Daily from Nov. 8
San Pedro Sula, Honduras (SAP)* October 5 2x weekly
San José, Costa Rica (SJO)* October 5 4x weekly until Nov. 7
Daily from Nov. 8
San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)* October 6 2x weekly
Bogota, Colombia (BOG)*ǂ November 8 Daily
St. Thomas, USVI (STT) November 8 3x weekly
Medellin, Colombia (MDE)* November 9 2x weekly
Cartagena, Colombia (CTG)* November 10 2x weekly
Asheville, North Carolina (AVL) September 7 3x weekly until Nov. 7
4x weekly from Nov. 8
Greensboro, North Carolina (GSO) September 7 3x weekly until Nov. 7
4x weekly from Nov. 8
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (MYR) November 10 2x weekly
Carpe Diem

jplatts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Spirit just announced new nonstop service to BQN, GUA, PTY, SDQ, SAP, SJO, SAL, BOG, STT, MDE, and CTG from MCO. This announcement can be found at http://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/06/14/1524731/0/en/Going-Global-in-Orlando-Spirit-Airlines-Announces-Major-International-Expansion.html.

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Well that was impressive.

jplatts

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:26 pm

WN still does have opportunities to expand both domestically and internationally at MCO for the following reasons:
  • There are still many markets in the contiguous U.S. that are served by WN but not by NK, including ALB, ABQ, AUS, BHM, CHS, CLT, CVG, DSM, ELP, GRR, GSP, IND, LIT, SDF, MHT, MEM, MKE, BNA, OKC, OMA, RDU, ROC, PWM, PVD, SMF, STL, SLC, SAT, TUL, and ICT
  • WN currently has nonstop service to MCO from some domestic destinations that do not have nonstop service to FLL on WN, including destinations that are not served by NK or B6
  • WN serves international destinations that NK does not serve, including BZE, GCM, HAV, LIR, MEX, NAS, PLS, and PVR
  • WN has strong brand recognition throughout the contiguous U.S., including in markets not served by NK
  • There are still some more domestic destinations that WN could add nonstop service to MCO from, including CVG, DSM, ELP, LIT, LAX, PDX, and ICT
  • MBJ is currently the only international destination that WN serves nonstop from MCO, even though WN does also serve SJU (which is located in the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico) nonstop from MCO

Will WN add nonstop service to additional destinations from MCO? If WN plans on further expanding at MCO, will it to be more domestic destinations, more international destinations, increased nonstop service to destinations that are already served nonstop from MCO on WN, or a combination?

flymco753
Topic Author

Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:05 pm

3 new routes on F9 today to ALB, BMI, and GSP.

flymco753
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Anyone think F9 will get into MCO-PUJ? I don’t think WN will because they don’t seem interested in Caribbean expansion due to FLL. If F9 times it right, it could work on an A320.

PeteKMCFC

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:09 am

Hi everyone,

Apologies of this is the incorrect thread but I'm at MCO for 2 weeks and have been to car park level 9 a few times over the last few days.

I was hoping to catch the new Silver ATR which I believe is still here. Does anyone know where it is? I assume tucked in the Silver hangar but would like to know I'm not missing it elsewhere.

Cheers

Pete

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:49 pm

PeteKMCFC wrote:
Hi everyone,

Apologies of this is the incorrect thread but I'm at MCO for 2 weeks and have been to car park level 9 a few times over the last few days.

I was hoping to catch the new Silver ATR which I believe is still here. Does anyone know where it is? I assume tucked in the Silver hangar but would like to know I'm not missing it elsewhere.

Cheers

Pete
I didn't realize the Silver ATR was here. It isn't scheduled until September.

nmdrdh787

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:18 pm

flymco753 wrote:

BMI?! Talk about a stunner. The last LCC in there was AirTran with 717s to ATL...

However the BMI routes make sense because DEN and MCO are decent focus cities and also MX bases.

I wonder if MLI will be in the cards for F9 soon to DEN or MCO.. even with G4 there, I am sure there is a niche that can be carved out with how high the fares are there (thanks John Deere). Same with PIA for Caterpillar.

Hoping that with BMI being added, F9 explores more Small and medium cities.

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm

nmdrdh787 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

BMI?! Talk about a stunner. The last LCC in there was AirTran with 717s to ATL...

However the BMI routes make sense because DEN and MCO are decent focus cities and also MX bases.

I wonder if MLI will be in the cards for F9 soon to DEN or MCO.. even with G4 there, I am sure there is a niche that can be carved out with how high the fares are there (thanks John Deere). Same with PIA for Caterpillar.

F9 ran BMI a few years ago before they really started to begin emphasizing on MCO. Assuming BMI works I'm sure small markets like PIA, TVC, ATW and EVV would be explored.

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:55 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
PeteKMCFC wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Pete

The Silver ATR is here peeking out of the hangar, was driving down Heintzelman Blvd yesterday and I could see the pink Silver ATR peeking out of the hangar
Doesn't that road turn into Goldenrod north of the airport?

KMCOFlyer

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:56 pm

flymco753 wrote:
PeteKMCFC wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Pete

The Silver ATR is here peeking out of the hangar, was driving down Heintzelman Blvd yesterday and I could see the pink Silver ATR peeking out of the hangar

nmdrdh787

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
nmdrdh787 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

F9 ran BMI a few years ago before they really started to begin emphasizing on MCO. Assuming BMI works I'm sure small markets like PIA, TVC, ATW and EVV would be explored.

Did not know that. Those should all be added. MLI too.... any other markets you can think of?

PeteKMCFC

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:00 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
PeteKMCFC wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Pete

Thank you - at least I know it's here.

Unfortunately I'm on foot only so can't drive around. I'm spotting Saturday and Sunday so hopefully some kind Silver employees will let her out for a while!

Cheers

Pete

Dazed767

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 am

Silver's ATR N400SV is doing a test flight today (Sunday 7/8), departing 08:30 arriving back 10:20.

Also Ameristar 737-200 arriving from LAX this morning 08:20.

PeteKMCFC

Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Dazed767 wrote:
Silver's ATR N400SV is doing a test flight today (Sunday 7/8), departing 08:30 arriving back 10:20.

At last I have seen the ATR! I don't understand anyone who dislikes the livery - it looks great!

BTW, can anyone but a reg to the 737-200, a USAF(?) King Air which landed around 1130, and a Mexican biz which is parked to the left of the UPS (when looking from parking garage)?

Any help much appreciated! I need stronger bins!

Cheers

Pete

Edit: I've now traced the 737 as N467TW.

KMCOFlyer

Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:05 am

flymco753 wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Doesn't that road turn into Goldenrod north of the airport?

Yes it does.

PeteKMCFC

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:21 am

PeteKMCFC wrote:
Dazed767 wrote:

At last I have seen the ATR! I don't understand anyone who dislikes the livery - it looks great!

BTW, can anyone but a reg to the 737-200, a USAF(?) King Air which landed around 1130, and a Mexican biz which is parked to the left of the UPS (when looking from parking garage)?

Cheers

Pete

Edit 2: Mexican biz traced by photos as Hawker 4000 XA-NOI. Don't see many of those in MAN! Very nice indeed.

PeteKMCFC

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:21 am

PeteKMCFC wrote:
Dazed767 wrote:

Cheers

Pete

Edit 2: Mexican biz traced by photos as Hawker 4000 XA-NOI. Don't see many of those in MAN (my local)! Very nice indeed.

dabpit

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 pm

F9 will start service from MCO to HSV (Huntsville) and LFT (Lafayette)

HSV - A320 Starts 10/21 3x week on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
MCO-HSV 0815-0854 Flt# 1334
HSV-MCO 1707-1946 Flt# 1335

LFT- A320 Starts 10/24 2x week on Wednesday and Saturday
MCO-LFT 0815-0922 Flt# 397
LFT-MCO 1658-2000 Flt# 398
Carpe Diem

flymco753
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm

dabpit wrote:
F9 will start service from MCO to HSV (Huntsville) and LFT (Lafayette)

HSV - A320 Starts 10/21 3x week on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
MCO-HSV 0815-0854 Flt# 1334
HSV-MCO 1707-1946 Flt# 1335

LFT- A320 Starts 10/24 2x week on Wednesday and Saturday
MCO-LFT 0815-0922 Flt# 397
LFT-MCO 1658-2000 Flt# 398
Interesting but I don’t see LFT lasting. HSV maybe.

flymco753
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:10 pm

F9 adds JAN and adds a 2nd Saturday CLE for the winter.

flymco753
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:41 am

The magic of Disney store located in the West atrium has closed due to the west security checkpoint expansion....finally!

The east atrium works well, I don’t typically wait more than 30 minutes at that checkpoint. However, I’ve waited 90+ minutes in the west atrium, this will be good improvement.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:20 pm

It looks like AM has finally moved over to Airside 4. All of their flights are showing as arriving in the 80 and 90 gates. Just what Airside 4 needs is more International flights arriving in the afternoon. My last time through Airside 4 a few weeks ago, it looks like that they are making a new exit to the FIS similar to Airside 1 where they no longer will need to “sweep” the APM train after every trip to the main terminal.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Disregard my last post on AM moving to Airside 4. For some strange reason the DL app is showing all AM flights arriving and departing from A4 in the 90s and 80s Gates, but all other flight tracking services are showing AM departing from their usual Airside 1 gates.

flymco753
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:25 pm

Got my hopes up. Once C is done then half of the Airlines at 4 are gone.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:26 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Got my hopes up. Once C is done then half of the Airlines at 4 are gone.

Sorry, don't know why DL is listing the AM flights as arriving at random Gates in the 80s and 90s. Speaking of C, I wonder what Airside 1 will look like after it opens. With B6 and friends moving to C, who will fill all the empty gates in A1?

Clipper136

Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:44 am

After C opens. NK will move to Airside 1 and use the current B6 Gates (1-9). The 20s wing could see AS, SY, 3M and domestic charters. F9 will have 10-19. NK is hoping the FIS on Airside 1 will stay open in some capacity. I'm not sure if this will happen?

Also

As of June, on a rolling 12 month basis, MCO passenger count is up to 46.1 Million (up 6.97%).
You can't beat the Experience.

flymco753
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:10 pm

That would make the most sense, because as of now there isn't any room for them to do 4, so they would have to tow international from 1 to 3. It only makes sense for them to move to 1 when B6 and friends are gone and use 1-9 while doing customs in the 20's.

GOAA released a travel wishlist survey, check it out and fill it out. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/destinationwishlist