747fan

Re: AA Fleet Updates - 2018

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:41 am

747fan wrote:
The 9 remaining MD82's that were originally delivered to AA in the mid 80's though early 90's (the oldest aircraft left in the fleet) as well as N967TW that was inherited from TWA are all scheduled to retire on 8.21. The oldest S80 is 424 that was delivered in 1986, with 425 and 426 not far behind. The "newest" MD82 is 555, delivered in 1991.

The aircraft of this bunch that many of us at AA will be glad to see gone is N555AN, which is the "hangar queen" of the fleet (not that the rest are much better though!). The running joke with those of us familiar with "triple nickle" is that it won't make its ferry flight out to ROW due to being out of service.
424/425/426 have the old-style green flight deck.

Super80Fan

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:49 am

Was lucky to fly N7550 up in F, the only remaining MD-82 I have flown on. AA after this will have only 32 MD83's left in the fleet.

Can't wait a few years from now to see the 737 retirements. No nostalgia for them like the Super 80's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

MO11

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 am

747fan wrote:
The 9 remaining MD82's that were originally delivered to AA in the mid 80's though early 90's (the oldest aircraft left in the fleet) as well as N967TW that was inherited from TWA are all scheduled to retire on 8.21. The oldest S80 is 424 that was delivered in 1986, with 425 and 426 not far behind. The "newest" MD82 is 555, delivered in 1991.

Six more after Labor Day.

PHLspecial

Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Narfish641 wrote:
Sad to see both the 757-200 and 767-300ER go. At least for the 767-300ER they have new lives in the cargo industry and will be flying many miles in the sky for years to come! It also makes me wonder what Roswell is going to do with Americans retired 757-200s with the old chrome livery. Yes I know they are stored and waiting to be strapped but most of those have been desert dwellers for a bit and majority with their engines still on the aircraft. Majority of them are 1990s build and are well at 28 years, and tbh Idek if they are even cargo worthy. Hell, I dont even know if anyone wants a 24-28 year old bird with RR engines. Still good the see them in one piece before they become a mangled mess.

Other than that, love the idea of them adding more A319s to the fleet as well as differing the A321neo 5 years back. Would be good to see them have an upgraded version of the aircraft. Also one more question, I know they are in the process of removing PTVs of all narrowbody aircraft as well as get the new seats to match the 737 MAX 8, does anyone know when is that gonna be completed?

The timeframe is suppose to be from 2018-2021 for both the 737-800 and A321-200. I still don't understand why they are getting rid of the PTVs but at least the seats will finally get power.

redwingspilot

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:42 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:
Sad to see both the 757-200 and 767-300ER go. At least for the 767-300ER they have new lives in the cargo industry and will be flying many miles in the sky for years to come! It also makes me wonder what Roswell is going to do with Americans retired 757-200s with the old chrome livery. Yes I know they are stored and waiting to be strapped but most of those have been desert dwellers for a bit and majority with their engines still on the aircraft. Majority of them are 1990s build and are well at 28 years, and tbh Idek if they are even cargo worthy. Hell, I dont even know if anyone wants a 24-28 year old bird with RR engines. Still good the see them in one piece before they become a mangled mess.

Other than that, love the idea of them adding more A319s to the fleet as well as differing the A321neo 5 years back. Would be good to see them have an upgraded version of the aircraft. Also one more question, I know they are in the process of removing PTVs of all narrowbody aircraft as well as get the new seats to match the 737 MAX 8, does anyone know when is that gonna be completed?

The timeframe is suppose to be from 2018-2021 for both the 737-800 and A321-200. I still don't understand why they are getting rid of the PTVs but at least the seats will finally get power.

The argument the execs make about removing the PTVs remains the same, that by the time it would take to retrofit the entire fleet that they'd be obsolete. So they figured instead of wasting money on a product that would be obsolete by completion, that they invest in faster WiFi for all aircraft that will allow free movie streaming to personal devices, as well as fast enough internet to allow streaming of Netflix/HBO GO type services.

TWFlyGuy

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 pm

redwingspilot wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:

The argument the execs make about removing the PTVs remains the same, that by the time it would take to retrofit the entire fleet that they'd be obsolete. So they figured instead of wasting money on a product that would be obsolete by completion, that they invest in faster WiFi for all aircraft that will allow free movie streaming to personal devices, as well as fast enough internet to allow streaming of Netflix/HBO GO type services.

It would be interesting to know if there is a revenue component to the argument that isn't being communicated. With PTV I bet customer perception/expectation is to have lots of free content whereas they can more easily charge for Wifi access? Or they are getting more of a cut of revenue from the Wifi provider? Personally, I'm ok with just the Wifi especially if it opens up a little bit of space under the seat or anything. I do like however when you can track your flight on the screen but I'm geeky like that.

planecane

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:57 pm

TWFlyGuy wrote:
redwingspilot wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

It would be interesting to know if there is a revenue component to the argument that isn't being communicated. With PTV I bet customer perception/expectation is to have lots of free content whereas they can more easily charge for Wifi access? Or they are getting more of a cut of revenue from the Wifi provider? Personally, I'm ok with just the Wifi especially if it opens up a little bit of space under the seat or anything. I do like however when you can track your flight on the screen but I'm geeky like that.

I don't understand why AA's BYOD IFE system doesn't have a flight tracker. Southwest's has it so it can't be a major technological hurdle.

redwingspilot

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 pm

planecane wrote:
TWFlyGuy wrote:
redwingspilot wrote:

I don't understand why AA's BYOD IFE system doesn't have a flight tracker. Southwest's has it so it can't be a major technological hurdle.

There is a flight tracker, at least I've noticed after I've signed on to the WiFi that it redirects you to the flight tracker page.

Austin787

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:08 pm

redwingspilot wrote:

I think the main reason for removing PTVs is cost cutting. They save on costs by not putting PTV's in future aircraft deliveries. They also save on maintenance costs. And PTV-less planes have less weight onboard so they also save on fuel costs.

soflaflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 am

747fan wrote:
747fan wrote:

The aircraft of this bunch that many of us at AA will be glad to see gone is N555AN, which is the "hangar queen" of the fleet (not that the rest are much better though!). The running joke with those of us familiar with "triple nickle" is that it won't make its ferry flight out to ROW due to being out of service.
424/425/426 have the old-style green flight deck.

That's actually pretty funny. They are a nice ride up front on takeoff.
At US, I always hated working flights with M80s, seemed like they were always taking long MTC delays, whereas the DC9s were typically very reliable or fixed pretty quickly when they did have an issue.

sagechan

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 am

TWFlyGuy wrote:
redwingspilot wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

AA doesn't charge for the entertainment portion of the Streaming IFE, have to pay for access to internet beyond aa.com
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

Runway28L

Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Appears that N150UW is the first L-US A321 to get 2Ku.

AA321T

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Runway28L wrote:
Appears that N150UW is the first L-US A321 to get 2Ku.

Yep, in addition the first LAA A319 is currently in mods at MLB for ViaSat. Tail 001, N8001N.

HWC1977

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:11 am

redwingspilot wrote:

Will the 737's still have overhead screens and music channels? Another thing I've noticed on some trip reports on L-US A321's is that the seats still have volume and channel controls. I know they don't have overhead screens, but can you listen to music programming? I haven't been on a L-US A321.

redwingspilot

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:21 am

HWC1977 wrote:
redwingspilot wrote:

Will the 737's still have overhead screens and music channels? Another thing I've noticed on some trip reports on L-US A321's is that the seats still have volume and channel controls. I know they don't have overhead screens, but can you listen to music programming? I haven't been on a L-US A321.

All 737's are going through the OASIS retrofit to align with the 737MAX. ‍​‌‌​​​‌‌‌​​‌​​​​​‌​‌‍Starting in the first half of 2018 the seat layout on current B737s to be the same as the MAX. A similar project on the A321 will be done by the end of 2021 (except for A321T transcon aircraft, which won’t change).‍​‌‌​​​‌‌‌​​‌​​​​​‌​‌‍ The new configuration utilizes a 30-inch seat pitch. That means we can adding 12 seats on the B737s, for a total of 172, and 3-9 seats on the A321s, for a total of 190.

Miamiairport

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:30 am

No screens and those controls on the LUS321s do nothing.

HWC1977

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:39 am

Miamiairport wrote:
No screens and those controls on the LUS321s do nothing.

That's a shame. I don't need a PTV at my seat, but I do appreciate some music or an overhead movie.

travaz

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:01 am

Can anyone tell me what is on the 787-9 as far as WiFi and entertainment. I am doing LAX to SYD in OCT. I fly a lot of AA domestic and it is very hit or miss. I just did a DCA to PHX on a 757 and there was no WiFi or streaming. I am hoping the WiFi across the pacific is decent. Also the price for AA WiFi is a bit pricey IMHO. I am in Premium Economy.

Edited to add Cabin.

9w748capt

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 am

travaz wrote:
Can anyone tell me what is on the 787-9 as far as WiFi and entertainment. I am doing LAX to SYD in OCT. I fly a lot of AA domestic and it is very hit or miss. I just did a DCA to PHX on a 757 and there was no WiFi or streaming. I am hoping the WiFi across the pacific is decent. Also the price for AA WiFi is a bit pricey IMHO. I am in Premium Economy.

Edited to add Cabin.

A simple internet search would tell you there are Wifi and PTVs available.

alasizon
Topic Author

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 am

9w748capt wrote:
travaz wrote:

Edited to add Cabin.

To be fair, that same internet search would have told him that WiFi and Streaming Entertainment are available on the PHX-DCA route operated by the 752 as well. However, the LUS Hawaii 757s don't have WiFi or BYOD Streaming.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

AA321T

Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:50 am

alasizon wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
travaz wrote:

Edited to add Cabin.

To be fair, that same internet search would have told him that WiFi and Streaming Entertainment are available on the PHX-DCA route operated by the 752 as well. However, the LUS Hawaii 757s don't have WiFi or BYOD Streaming.

Some of the LUS 752's do have WiFi now. I believe it's currently only four frames that have GoGo 2Ku WiFi.

travaz

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 am

9w748capt wrote:
travaz wrote:

Edited to add Cabin.

I did do an internet search and a search of AA site and the information was totally useless and had no real answer. So I thought I would go to an av geek site that might have actually had someone who was on the flight. A few years ago i would have gotten an answer instead of a lecture on internet search Peace out

sagechan

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:47 am

travaz wrote:
9w748capt wrote:
travaz wrote:

Edited to add Cabin.

I did do an internet search and a search of AA site and the information was totally useless and had no real answer. So I thought I would go to an av geek site that might have actually had someone who was on the flight. A few years ago i would have gotten an answer instead of a lecture on internet search Peace out

The 789 has inseat IFE in all cabins so no streaming and all have wifi for the duration of the flight.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

demkid

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:07 pm

I count 8 MD-80s scheduled to make their final flight to Roswell in the next hour:

N424AA
N70425
N426AA
N7547A
N7548A
N7550
N555AN
N967TW

Perhaps I'm missing one as a previous post indicated 9 would leave the fleet today. Two years ago, 20 were retired on the same day (8/23/16), and that was a bit more dramatic, as it looks like all of today's retirements are making the quick flight from DFW.

jgcotter

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:19 pm

demkid wrote:
I count 8 MD-80s scheduled to make their final flight to Roswell in the next hour:

N424AA
N70425
N426AA
N7547A
N7548A
N7550
N555AN
N967TW

Perhaps I'm missing one as a previous post indicated 9 would leave the fleet today. Two years ago, 20 were retired on the same day (8/23/16), and that was a bit more dramatic, as it looks like all of today's retirements are making the quick flight from DFW.

In addition to those eight I show two cancellations; AA9658 and AA9659 that were scheduled for DFW to ROW today, but no reg numbers accociated with the cancellations.

TWA1985

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:12 pm

So after the mass exodus of MD-80s to ROW yesterday, how many remain in the fleet as of today?
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

Boof02671

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:12 pm

TWA1985

Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm

With how many more scheduled to leave after Labor Day?

row44seatk

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:02 pm

Searching AA.Com and as a frequent flyer between these two points I find this - a 787 :confused:
Normally a A321. Got to be a mistake.

Depart Las Vegas, NV to Dallas/ Fort Worth, TX
Sunday, November 25, 2018
4:43 PM 9:14 PM
2h 31m
Nonstop
AA 1203 788-Boeing 787 Wifi on-board
First
Hell, somebody has to sit in that seat.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 pm

row44seatk wrote:
Searching AA.Com and as a frequent flyer between these two points I find this - a 787 :confused:

2h 31m
Nonstop
First

Extended Holiday Weekend? Bunch of peeps gambling/drinking until the last minute before back to the grind? It wouldn't surprise me to see UA-ORD and IAH, DL-ATL maybe DTW doing the same thing. What piques my interest is where's the AA 788 coming from and when?

AA321T

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
row44seatk wrote:

2h 31m
Nonstop
First

Extended Holiday Weekend? Bunch of peeps gambling/drinking until the last minute before back to the grind? It wouldn't surprise me to see UA-ORD and IAH, DL-ATL maybe DTW doing the same thing. What piques my interest is where's the AA 788 coming from and when?

They are operating a 788 up to twice daily DFW-LAS from 11/04-11/30.

This is the schedule for the week of 11/04:
AA2238 DFW0715 - 0806LAS 788 x7
AA2649 DFW0855 - 0949LAS 788 7
AA1203 DFW1450 - 1537LAS 788 x67
AA2609 DFW1635 - 1723LAS 788 7

AA2238 LAS0910 - 1341DFW 788 x7
AA2649 LAS1054 - 1525DFW 788 7
AA1203 LAS1652 - 2123DFW 788 x67
AA2609 LAS1831 - 2258DFW 788 7

BN727227Ultra

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:15 pm

AA321T wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:
row44seatk wrote:

2h 31m
Nonstop
First

Thanks! I was figuring LAX-LAS-DFW.

TWA1985

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Here’s a question that just came to mind ... with the massive drawdown of international flying out of ORD will the 788’s still be based there? I’m assuming not.

MLIAA

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:18 am

TWA1985 wrote:
Here’s a question that just came to mind ... with the massive drawdown of international flying out of ORD will the 788’s still be based there? I’m assuming not.

Not sure that I’d call it a massive drawdown. Remember, they are starting seasonal HNL and ATH, plus the current 3-4 daily LHR, the few weekly NRT, and seasonal wide bodies to CUN, CDG, BCN, VCE, FCO and DUB. That’s still a pretty decent operation. If any fleet base is closing, I’d look towards JFK.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B712 B722 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B763 B764 B772 B788 MD80 S340 E140 E145 E170 E175 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9

miaami

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Another MAX delivery today.

N324RN / 3RN

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9701

n797mx

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 pm

With only 2 MD-82s left I assume they'll be included in the Labor Day purge?
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

cathay747

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Don't know if anybody has ever posted this, and not going to go thru all 10 pages of posts here to see, but there's a great website with a huge amount of details about the AA fleet which some of you may find of use/help if you didn't already know about it:

https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/

It's really great!
Try a Little VC-10derness

anymaninfc

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:30 am

cathay747 wrote:
Don't know if anybody has ever posted this, and not going to go thru all 10 pages of posts here to see, but there's a great website with a huge amount of details about the AA fleet which some of you may find of use/help if you didn't already know about it:

https://sites.google.com/site/newamericanfleet/

It's really great!

Yes, good site, but sadly it is not updated very often (about every two months, now) and some of the numbers on the front page are off. I think the owner of this site needs some help maintaining it - it's a mountain of information that AA doesn't just hand out.

aaflyer222

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:03 pm

is SkyWest crj200 service ending? lots of SkyWest cr2 flights from ord changed to e145 this week
74m, 772, 763, 764, 752, 733, 734, 738, 739, a319, a320, a321, s80, m88, m90, e190, e170, e175, e140, e145, cr2, cr7, cr9, dh1, dh3, dh4, at72, s340

alasizon
Topic Author

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:42 pm

aaflyer222 wrote:
is SkyWest crj200 service ending? lots of SkyWest cr2 flights from ord changed to e145 this week

Yes, the contract OO CR2s were pulled out. Pro-rate still remains.

miaami

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Another 787-9 delivery this week.

N837AN / 8LU

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9702

ozark1

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:05 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Narfish641 wrote:

Worst Doug Parker mistake in a long time.

xdlx

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:35 pm

Could every sub 50 seats CRJ/ERD/ER4 be converted to 65seats CR7?

alasizon
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:28 pm

xdlx wrote:
Could every sub 50 seats CRJ/ERD/ER4 be converted to 65seats CR7?

I theory the planes could be swapped, sure. But that doesn't mean the markets can support a CR7 on all those frequencies.

SXDFC

Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Is there any pictures of the “oasis” conversion? Also do we know what registrations the F9 A319s will be once they enter the AA fleet?

Swadian

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:16 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
AA321T wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

Thanks! I was figuring LAX-LAS-DFW.

LAX doesn't see the 788 anymore AFAIK?

quote="MLIAA"]
TWA1985 wrote:

Not sure that I’d call it a massive drawdown. Remember, they are starting seasonal HNL and ATH, plus the current 3-4 daily LHR, the few weekly NRT, and seasonal wide bodies to CUN, CDG, BCN, VCE, FCO and DUB. That’s still a pretty decent operation. If any fleet base is closing, I’d look towards JFK.[/quote]

What drawdown? What are they going to use out of ORD if not the 788 as AA does not have any non-788 widebody a/c based out of ORD and all (or nearly all) the 788 are based there.

alasizon
Topic Author

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:21 am

Swadian wrote:

LAX doesn't see the 788 anymore AFAIK?

What drawdown? What are they going to use out of ORD if not the 788 as AA does not have any non-788 widebody a/c based out of ORD and all (or nearly all) the 788 are based there.

Correct, LAX is strictly 789 & 777. The 788 is tied to DFW & ORD but DFW only uses it for PEK, CDG & FRA. The 788 is actually doing quite a bit of domestic runs this winter as well.

miaami

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:13 am

Another MAX delivery

N326RP / 3RP

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9701

demkid

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:44 pm

More MD-80 retirements. I believe this brings the fleet down to 28 with 2 more planned by year's end (according to the most recent fleet update). Still 2 MD-82s in service.

Sent to ROW 9/3:
N9625W

Scheduled to ROW 9/5:
N9630A
N9622A
N962TW
N972TW

Runway28L

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:40 am

B788 N800AN is scheduled to fly ORD-PAE tomorrow. Looks like this will be the first -8 to get PE installed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos