sf260

Re: Airbus Beluga XL Production Thread

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm

This has quite a nice overview of the differences between the old and new Beluga: http://www.aertecsolutions.com/download ... ga-ENG.pdf

zeke

Re: Official A330 Production/Flight Testing - 2018

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 pm

CFRPwingALbody wrote:
Why didn't Airbus remove the vertical tail plain and used a tail like the AN-225?

It would add weight, they have kept it much the same, please note it looks like they will also have two ventral strakes added.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Channex757

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 pm

zeke wrote:
CFRPwingALbody wrote:
Why didn't Airbus remove the vertical tail plain and used a tail like the AN-225?

It would add weight, they have kept it much the same, please note it looks like they will also have two ventral strakes added.

It would also need a huge amount of redesign and recertifying. I really couldn't see it being as straightforward as pushing the straight tailplane plank through the existing "slot". The An-225 has a much broader rear fuselage to carry the twin tail assembly and this would (if used on an A330) probably void heaven knows how many pieces of grandfathered design.

mat66

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 pm

Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:
CFRPwingALbody wrote:

It would also need a huge amount of redesign and recertifying. I really couldn't see it being as straightforward as pushing the straight tailplane plank through the existing "slot". The An-225 has a much broader rear fuselage to carry the twin tail assembly and this would (if used on an A330) probably void heaven knows how many pieces of grandfathered design.

Excellent point. Airbus never tried to get EASA certification for the Beluga, however, and will never do it for the XL. As far as I understand it they operate them under some kind of permanent test airplane certificate for internal use only. I'm sure someone with more inside can elaborate on this better then I could.

StTim

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:23 pm

And that is another reason why, as I understand it, the fleet will be limited to 5 frames.

zeke

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:31 pm

mat66 wrote:
Excellent point. Airbus never tried to get EASA certification for the Beluga, however, and will never do it for the XL. As far as I understand it they operate them under some kind of permanent test airplane certificate for internal use only. I'm sure someone with more inside can elaborate on this better then I could.

It is EASA certified https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files ... Issue6.pdf
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

mat66

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 pm

zeke wrote:
mat66 wrote:

It is EASA certified https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files ... Issue6.pdf

Ok, I stand corrected. I just remember reading years ago that Airbus can never sell the aircraft. This might be the restricted part of the certification. To be honest I don't know ;)

tjcab

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 am

Richard28 wrote:
Wow! thanks for the update!

The tail section however looks a little odd - probably a consequence of not being fully painted yet?

LOL. The whole plane looks odd due to its function, generally.

res77W

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:28 am

Pardon my ignorance, but is this thread now Beluga exclusive or will we still see updates on passenger A330s?

-Rowen

moo

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 am

mat66 wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Airbus have flown cargo for third parties several times on the Beluga, including pandas and paintings - they couldn't do that under a test or restricted certificate.

Stitch

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 am

res77W wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is this thread now Beluga exclusive or will we still see updates on passenger A330s?

A330ceo Production Thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1383189
A330neo Production Thread - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382683

zeke

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 am

mat66 wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected. I just remember reading years ago that Airbus can never sell the aircraft. This might be the restricted part of the certification. To be honest I don't know ;)

My guess would be no production certificate was obtained for them. The were produced under the A300 production certificate and then modified.

redcap1962

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:01 am

pugman211 wrote:
reidar76 wrote:
Is the Beluga cargo hold pressurized?

No. .....

moo wrote:
Airbus have flown cargo for third parties several times on the Beluga, including pandas and .....

:roll: Hmm..., were the pandas on oxygen? :scratchchin:

enzo011 wrote:
Airbus press release for the BelugaXL,
First BelugaXL transporter rolls off assembly line

From the photos in the hangar one can guess that they took fuselage barrels from the A330(F), put them together and afterwards removed the upper part at the level of the cargo hold floor...
Am I right?
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

Balerit

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:57 am

redcap1962 wrote:
Airbus have flown cargo for third parties several times on the Beluga, including pandas and .....

[/url]
[/quote]

They don't need to pressurize if they stay below 12000'
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).

Cunard

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:32 am

res77W wrote:

-Rowen

Are you suggesting a complete and severe thread drift as this thread and topic is obviously exlusive to the Airbus Beluga!

Well at least you had the decency to ask rather than going ahead with the thread drift like so many do on a.net.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

mwhcvt

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 am

This might be a stupid question but I assume because this is an internal project and would only be used by Airbus crews it will not go though a full flight test program? I’m guessing it will fly under some experimental certificate?
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

zeke

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:52 am

It should undergo a partial flight test schedule and be normally registered.

Egerton

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:00 am

If the new fleet is set at 5 aeroplanes, then they might wish to consider how the new Europe/Canada/US operations will best work, with the expected enhanced A321 with bigger wings, longer fuselage etc?

zeke

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 am

No need they will be done by surface transport

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 pm

As an engineer told me, “engineering is a vagabond life, we all have laptops and thumb drives”.

GF

mjoelnir

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
reidar76 wrote:
Is the Beluga cargo hold pressurized?

No. .....

moo wrote:

enzo011 wrote:
Airbus press release for the BelugaXL,
First BelugaXL transporter rolls off assembly line

From the photos in the hangar one can guess that they took fuselage barrels from the A330(F), put them together and afterwards removed the upper part at the level of the cargo hold floor...
Am I right?

Cut off at the level of the main floor, or cargo hold sealing.

Bricktop

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm

StTim wrote:
There will be 5.

5 is the number and the number shall be 5.

The nose is fabulous but the rear looks like a mish-mash. But I will wait to see it painted for final judgement.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
As an engineer told me, “engineering is a vagabond life, we all have laptops and thumb drives”.

While this may be true (says I while sitting behind multiple secured laptops, phones and connections - with an insecure USB key to transfer between them :lol:) what does this have to do with the thread?
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Channex757 wrote:
zeke wrote:
CFRPwingALbody wrote:

From their press release it sounds like the tail is essentially new anyways.

Longer and wider than the BelugaST it is replacing, Airbus’ BelugaXL super transporter required several modifications – including a specially-designed tail section – to ensure stability in flight

You can find it on the caption of one of the pics.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Most people seem to overlook the fact that while the main VTP is lifted from a normal A330, the tail section is made up of that VTP, modified HTP including additional vertical strakes and a bulked-up structure supporting it all (note that the "cone" actually ends in a flat section rather like a 747.
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

StTim

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:30 pm

I mentioned these either here or elsewhere and the response is they are likely to be large vanes (vortex generators) to ensure the flow over the rear section is as expected. They do look odd.

SomebodyInTLS

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

By the way, no-else notice the odd "comb" structures under the tail cone? I'm guessing that's something to do with minimum unstick testing (like the little cantilever thing they used on the A380).

redcap1962

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Cut off at the level of the main floor, or cargo hold sealing.

Sorry, I meant the floor of the Beluga Cargo hold - but I got the point... :yes:
...more or less as I expected then, THX!
And the cut-off upper part is waste then... :?
This is your pilot speaking. Welcome to flight one from here to there. We'll be flying at a height of ten feet, going up to twelve and a half feet if we see anything big. My copilot today is a flask of coffee.

Eddie Izzard

OscarAlpha

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:
By the way, no-else notice the odd "comb" structures under the tail cone? I'm guessing that's something to do with minimum unstick testing (like the little cantilever thing they used on the A380).

The "comb" structures are to mount some aero structures. You can see it in the webpage dedicated to the Beluga Livery:
http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/news/en/ ... -face.html

lostsound

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Will the Belugas receive this adorable livery?

CFRPwingALbody

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Beluga & BelugaXL sizes at a Beluga hangar (I think Hamburg, but could also be in the UK)
Image from FlightGlobal.

Edit to add: Yes the BelugaXLs will get the smile. It was the livery that won the Airbus internal competition.
Last edited by CFRPwingALbody on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bricktop

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm

I sure hope so! That would be clahh-sic!

CFRPwingALbody

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:50 pm

redcap1962 wrote:
Am I right?

Indeed. Picture prove:

This is the flightglobal article from the picture of my previous post.
And this airlinereporter article is a nice addition to this post.

Slug71

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:11 pm

lostsound wrote:

I wonder why Airbus didn't use the A350's curved cockpit windows? Is there no aero benefit to them(which would seem odd)? I know a number of years ago, they were significantly more expensive. But today?
Wouldn't increasing the production rate of the A350's windows lower cost?

CFRPwingALbody wrote:
Beluga & BelugaXL sizes at a Beluga hangar (I think Hamburg, but could also be in the UK)
Image from FlightGlobal.

Edit to add: Yes the BelugaXLs will get the smile. It was the livery that won the Airbus internal competition.

Quite a difference! Thank you for sharing. Would love to see a photo difference.

Polot

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Slug71 wrote:
I wonder why Airbus didn't use the A350's curved cockpit windows? Is there no aero benefit to them(which would seem odd)? I know a number of years ago, they were significantly more expensive. But today?

Because it is the A330 nose and cockpit. Airbus just lowered it with respect to the rest of the normal A330 fuselage and now it has a tumor growing out of its head.

zeke

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:32 pm

SomebodyInTLS wrote:

I noticed them, they will be the frames for the two ventral strakes I mentioned above.

Bambel

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 pm

On the first picture in post #83 you can see "A330-700" on the fuselage. Have'nt seen that before..

b.

keesje

Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Bambel wrote:
On the first picture in post #83 you can see "A330-700" on the fuselage. Have'nt seen that before..
b.

Good catch!
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Slug71

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Polot wrote:
Slug71 wrote:

Because it is the A330 nose and cockpit. Airbus just lowered it with respect to the rest of the normal A330 fuselage and now it has a tumor growing out of its head.

Yeh but I meant for the A330NEO too. Probably should have added that.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 am

Cunard wrote:
res77W wrote:

-Rowen

Are you suggesting a complete and severe thread drift as this thread and topic is obviously exlusive to the Airbus Beluga!

Well at least you had the decency to ask rather than going ahead with the thread drift like so many do on a.net.

Not so fast. The moderators locked the thread Official A330 Production/Flight Testing - 2014-2017 and linked this thread as the one to continue the discussion in:

SQ22 wrote:
Please continue your discussion and to post your updates in the 2018 thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382677

Personally I would have rather continued discussion in an ongoing thread about A330 production and flight testing, but it seems for some reason we are being asked to discuss that here instead.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

res77W

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:16 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Cunard wrote:
res77W wrote:

-Rowen

Not so fast. The moderators locked the thread Official A330 Production/Flight Testing - 2014-2017 and linked this thread as the one to continue the discussion in:

SQ22 wrote:
Please continue your discussion and to post your updates in the 2018 thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1382677

Personally I would have rather continued discussion in an ongoing thread about A330 production and flight testing, but it seems for some reason we are being asked to discuss that here instead.

V/F

Thank you VirginFlyer, that’s why I asked.

-Rowen

A350

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 am

What is the range of the BelugaXL with a typical payload? It might be sufficient to go from Europe to Mobile with one tech stop.

zeke

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am

Not with one stop, would take two. Parts except for engines would go by ship.

scbriml

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 am

Slug71 wrote:
I wonder why Airbus didn't use the A350's curved cockpit windows? Is there no aero benefit to them(which would seem odd)?

I'm sure there is some minor aero benefit, but that honking great bulge just behind will wipe that out and then some!

Since the A330neo also kept the original A330 cockpit (AFAIK), one assumes it fell on the wrong side of the cost/benefit calculation.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

hilram

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 am

Forgive me if this has already been answered earlier in the thread: Will the old Belugas be retired as the new Beluga XLs are coming in, or will they be kept going in parallell?
Flown on: A319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343 | B732, 734, 735, 736, 73G, 738, 743, 744, 772, 77W | BAe-146 | DHC-6, 7, 8 | F50 | E195 | MD DC-9 41, MD-82, MD-87

Aircellist

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 am

I see the vertical surfaces at the end of htp are now canted inward… Am I the subject of an optical illusion?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 pm

OscarAlpha wrote:
SomebodyInTLS wrote:

The "comb" structures are to mount some aero structures. You can see it in the webpage dedicated to the Beluga Livery:
http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/news/en/ ... -face.html

Ah yes, thanks... shows nicely in the post right below yours! :)

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

lostsound wrote:

AFAIK that is the official livery selected by popular vote among the employees.

SomebodyInTLS

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 pm

Slug71 wrote:

And just how do you expect to stick A350 windows into an A330 cockpit structure?!?

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:36 pm

hilram wrote:
Forgive me if this has already been answered earlier in the thread: Will the old Belugas be retired as the new Beluga XLs are coming in, or will they be kept going in parallell?

I believe the plan is to use them in parallel to help with the increased production demand for a while.

Though according to this the original Belugas will be retired around 2025. http://www.aircargonews.net/news/airlin ... -2019.html

So who knows, there might be a second lot of Beluga XLs depending on demand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos