Erebus

Re: Airbus Beluga XL Production Thread

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 pm

WIederling wrote:
Erebus wrote:
Also, can anyone confirm if the current Beluga uses a 3 man cockpit with a flight engineer? Tried to find pictures but they seem to be quite elusive. :grumpy:

I could imagine something like a loadmaster.
the base airplane is an A300-600 with FF cockpit and a crew of two.!?

The above flightglobal article had me confused, specifically this quote...

It states that loadmasters have taken over tasks previously performed by flight engineers, adding that this role is being “phased out”.

WIederling

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm

pugman211 wrote:
StTim wrote:
Also the cockpit is from the A330. It will be a two man cockpit

But also has a load master. However I'm not sure if that role is replacing the flight engineer. I'm also sure I saw a flight global article stating that the B-XL had an area for additional crew seats? Can't seem to find the link though.

Additional seats for "messengers" or other corporate staff going from place to place. not crew.
Murphy is an optimist

pugman211
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 pm

WIederling wrote:
pugman211 wrote:
StTim wrote:
Also the cockpit is from the A330. It will be a two man cockpit

But also has a load master. However I'm not sure if that role is replacing the flight engineer. I'm also sure I saw a flight global article stating that the B-XL had an area for additional crew seats? Can't seem to find the link though.

Additional seats for "messengers" or other corporate staff going from place to place. not crew.

Yea that's what I meant to say lol

smartplane

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:35 am

Interesting to see if a review of grandfathering, experimental and special arrangements, spills over to the Beluga and others of it's ilk.

pugman211
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:51 am

smartplane wrote:
Interesting to see if a review of grandfathering, experimental and special arrangements, spills over to the Beluga and others of it's ilk.

What exactly is it that you think they can grandfather? It's a completely different air frame. That's why they are doing a full certification programme for it.

Erebus

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:23 am

pugman211 wrote:
smartplane wrote:

What exactly is it that you think they can grandfather? It's a completely different air frame. That's why they are doing a full certification programme for it.

Agreed. It will be like saying the A330 was grandfathered from the A300, which surely wasn't the case.

WIederling

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am

Erebus wrote:
It will be like saying the A330 was grandfathered from the A300, which surely wasn't the case.

you have those posters around here :-)
Murphy is an optimist

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 pm

WIederling wrote:
Erebus wrote:
It will be like saying the A330 was grandfathered from the A300, which surely wasn't the case.

you have those posters around here :-)

One can see that Airbus is by far not as obsessed with grandfathering as Boeing. The A330 was practical a stretched A300 with a bigger wing. Airbus did not bother about grandfathering. They put everything at that time state of the art into the A330/340 and ended up with two new type certificates.

The older Beluga is a A300 and the newer BelugaXL is a A330. They both do not or will not operate under the A300 or A330 type certification, but get a special limited certification on their own.

bspc

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

zeke

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 pm

The A330-700 ACAPS document is available from Airbus

https://www.airbus.com/content/dam/corp ... lugaXL.pdf
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

pugman211
Topic Author

Sat May 18, 2019 10:28 am

Just a quick update, Beluga XL #2 came to Broughton yesterday and collected the first set (2 wings together) of A350 wings and flew them to Bremen.

Video crews were recording the take off so I guess there will be a video available from Airbus soon.

StTim

Sat May 18, 2019 10:47 am

pugman211 wrote:
Just a quick update, Beluga XL #2 came to Broughton yesterday and collected the first set (2 wings together) of A350 wings and flew them to Bremen.

Video crews were recording the take off so I guess there will be a video available from Airbus soon.

So they are doing production flying during the test certification flying?

Francoflier

Sat May 18, 2019 12:17 pm

Interesting. It might be a proving run, either as part of the certification program, or just for Airbus' benefit, with the blessing of the authorities.
After all, they don't care if a payload is a dummy one or not, as long as it's not alive or DG...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

WIederling

Sat May 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Francoflier wrote:
Interesting. It might be a proving run, either as part of the certification program, or just for Airbus' benefit, with the blessing of the authorities.
After all, they don't care if a payload is a dummy one or not, as long as it's not alive or DG...

certified as of April 17 2019 apparently:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/download/mrb ... d-MRBR.pdf
( revision 0, 4th entry in the table )
Murphy is an optimist

StTim

Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:29 am

I still see (on fr24) the two current XL’s doing test flying. Are we certain they are certified?

bspc

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:46 pm

StTim wrote:
I still see (on fr24) the two current XL’s doing test flying. Are we certain they are certified?

Maybe on paper, but not officially. You will hear from Airbus on social media when it is.

BelugaXL #1 seems to do all the Technical Flight testing while Beluga XL #2 seems to do all the route proving Flights.

pugman211
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 pm

bspc wrote:
StTim wrote:

Maybe on paper, but not officially. You will hear from Airbus on social media when it is.

BelugaXL #1 seems to do all the Technical Flight testing while Beluga XL #2 seems to do all the route proving Flights.

I'd agree with the above, XL2 has been to Broughton a few times and taken a few sets of wings now. Not sure where they are up to on testing with XL1.

Has anyone seen parts for XL3 anywhere?

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:24 pm

Certified: Yes.
Accepted into service: Not yet.

That sound about right?

bspc

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:28 pm

pugman211 wrote:
bspc wrote:
StTim wrote:

I'd agree with the above, XL2 has been to Broughton a few times and taken a few sets of wings now. Not sure where they are up to on testing with XL1.

Has anyone seen parts for XL3 anywhere?

https://aibfamily.flights/beluga/1930

Apparently already since last November.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos