Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
User avatar
TK787
Posts: 4548
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 am

    lesfalls wrote:
    TK1 seems to be going for JFK.

    Just landed at EWR, what happens now? The pax can leave?
     
    Skywatcher
    Posts: 890
    Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 am

    Emergency landing of JFK diversion in YUL.
    https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/milan-to-ne ... -1.3746289
     
    IADFCO
    Posts: 198
    Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 4:20 pm

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 am

    AZ608 FCO-JFK just landed at BOS. All remaining flights tonight from BOS to the D.C. area are cancelled. I wonder why since BWI, DCA, and IAD all seem to be ok.
     
    User avatar
    neomax
    Posts: 945
    Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:26 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 am

    airzim wrote:
    The strategy is argumentative, but UA firmly believes that rather than displacing folks/crews/aircraft in random diversion airports, proactively cancel and tries to rebuild tomorrow.


    You have to admit, it is a pretty good strategy.
     
    Skywatcher
    Posts: 890
    Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 am

    Just checked FlightAware. AZ610 and BA33K diverted to YUL at 20:00. I guess YYZ/DTW/IAD etc. are getting overloaded. Most airports are maxed out at the best of times-these diversions must really stress everybody out.
     
    Flaps
    Posts: 1654
    Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:18 am

    Skywatcher wrote:
    Just checked FlightAware. AZ610 and BA33K diverted to YUL at 20:00. I guess YYZ/DTW/IAD etc. are getting overloaded. Most airports are maxed out at the best of times-these diversions must really stress everybody out.


    Every suitable diversion point is or is close to being maxed out. Stressed out is an understatement. Its chaos. In many cases even if a flight can get in somewhere and get a place to park there is no one available to handle/process the flights once they are in.
     
    shaneam12
    Posts: 48
    Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 am

    DY7015, SE40, and SU102 are all on their way to IAD now. EK207 going to PIT.
     
    dragon-wings
    Posts: 4149
    Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:55 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 am

    According to the news Long Island MacArthur Airport is closed until 12am. Here on Long Island it was pretty bad, we got about 16 inches of snow here. At the height of the storm winds were gusting near 50 mph.
    Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano
     
    mattpawlow
    Posts: 9
    Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:41 am

    Late night intl inbounds to JFK are really going to stress the system.

    Just taking a quick look I see the following headed to JFK still despite closure-- SU122, DY7011, CX846, VS25 among others. Will be interesting to see where they wind up with IAD/DTW/eastern Canadian airports filling up now.

    Also looks like EK207 (A380) just diverted to PIT.
     
    User avatar
    atcsundevil
    Moderator
    Posts: 4292
    Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:44 am

    IADFCO wrote:
    AZ608 FCO-JFK just landed at BOS. All remaining flights tonight from BOS to the D.C. area are cancelled. I wonder why since BWI, DCA, and IAD all seem to be ok.

    They're low on ramp space. BWI stopped taking any diversions early in the afternoon, IAD is still taking diversions but has traffic management initiatives in place, and DCA is out of ramp space even on a good day.

    ty97 wrote:
    TWA902fly wrote:
    AA105 LHR-JFK headed to RDU


    RDU instead of CLT? Strange.

    RDU gets a daily 772 from LHR. As far as I know, neither CLT nor PHL see AA 772s. I doubt that it's an equipment or ground handing issue, but maybe more of a logistical decision.
     
    User avatar
    aemoreira1981
    Posts: 3609
    Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

    Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

    Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:45 am

    shaneam12 wrote:
    DY7015, SE40, and SU102 are all on their way to IAD now. EK207 going to PIT.


    EK207 to that airport is the pit of misery---DILLY DILLY!

    DY7019 turned around south of Greenland and is returning to Paris. DY7001 and DY7011 diverted to Stewart. KE85, MU297, and BR32 are all diverting to ORD.

    TK787 wrote:
      lesfalls wrote:
      TK1 seems to be going for JFK.

      Just landed at EWR, what happens now? The pax can leave?


      After clearing immigration and customs, passengers can choose to terminate there if they so desire. DY 7001 and DY7011 passengers can take Coach USA (Short Line) buses to Manhattan once they clear immigration and customs as SWF is a Norwegian station.

      The remaining flight to watch is the third daily Aeroflot flight from Moscow---SU122.

      One JetBlue flight did get airborne bound for New York this afternoon, B6 224; it diverted to Pittsburgh, CA819, CX840 diverted to ORD, CX846 diverted to YVR, and CX888 is likely to terminate at YVR (this flight usually continues on to JFK). At EWR, CX890 abandoned the approach to EWR over Linden, NJ and is diverting to YYZ. LO15 made it into EWR and is taxiing to Terminal 2. Two UPS aircraft are trying again for EWR. I suspect they'll head to PHL (a major UPS hub) if unsuccessful.

      And here's a weird one...KU117 diverted to YOW and UX91 diverted to BDA.
      Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
       
      Flaps
      Posts: 1654
      Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 am

      There is no one capable of handling an A380 at PIT. The airport itself can handle it but no operators on the field can. That ought to be REALLY interesting.
       
      mattpawlow
      Posts: 9
      Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 am

      CX890 had what looks like a missed approach at EWR and is now diverting to YYZ.
       
      User avatar
      aemoreira1981
      Posts: 3609
      Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:15 am

      Avianca to JFK:
      AV244 - delayed 14 hours
      AV20 - delayed 5 hours
      AV42 - delayed 8 hours

      These normally arrive in the dark. AV20 will come before AV244 tomorrow.

      Also, for early morning arrivals tomorrow:
      O68500 (Avianca Brasil): diverting to MIA
      JJ8080: canceled
      LA532: EZE-SCL-JFK: SCL-JFK flight canceled
      LA530: SCL-LIM-JFK: flight will terminate in LIM and not continue on to JFK
      Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
       
      chicawgo
      Posts: 443
      Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:15 am

      Flaps wrote:
      There is no one capable of handling an A380 at PIT. The airport itself can handle it but no operators on the field can. That ought to be REALLY interesting.



      Their runways and taxiways can handle it?
       
      jerseyewr777
      Posts: 122
      Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 am

      Amazing that LO15 arrived at the gate only 1 minute behind schedule at EWR.
       
      chicawgo
      Posts: 443
      Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:18 am

      NH10 diverted to RFD and now flying RFD-ORD!
       
      pgh234
      Posts: 785
      Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2001 12:48 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 am

      Flaps wrote:
      Skywatcher wrote:
      Just checked FlightAware. AZ610 and BA33K diverted to YUL at 20:00. I guess YYZ/DTW/IAD etc. are getting overloaded. Most airports are maxed out at the best of times-these diversions must really stress everybody out.


      Every suitable diversion point is or is close to being maxed out. Stressed out is an understatement. Its chaos. In many cases even if a flight can get in somewhere and get a place to park there is no one available to handle/process the flights once they are in.


      PIT has space for probably 100 more widebody diverstions (not to mention CLE, CMH, etc). We have gotten hardly anything today.

      I am sure you know more than me...but how can no one at PIT be unable to unload an A-380? I swear EK has diverted here before with the 380. 747's show up with some sort of regularity (Cargo, AF1, diversions). Hell G-20 probably had a few hundered of these widebodies here. Plus, wouldn't the pallet unloaders for Condor 767's and DL 767's and FedEx/UPS A-300s and MD-11's be able to unload a A-380? What "can't they handle?" tow-bars? Unloading? Pushback? Stairs? Gates?
       
      Runway28L
      Posts: 2099
      Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:19 am

      chicawgo wrote:
      Flaps wrote:
      There is no one capable of handling an A380 at PIT. The airport itself can handle it but no operators on the field can. That ought to be REALLY interesting.



      Their runways and taxiways can handle it?

      And oddly enough, FR24 says it's continuing to DFW :confused:
       
      chicawgo
      Posts: 443
      Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:09 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 am

      Runway28L wrote:
      chicawgo wrote:
      Flaps wrote:
      There is no one capable of handling an A380 at PIT. The airport itself can handle it but no operators on the field can. That ought to be REALLY interesting.



      Their runways and taxiways can handle it?

      And oddly enough, FR24 says it's continuing to DFW :confused:


      That would make more sense but its at FL150 headed towards PIT. perhaps emergency low on fuel?
       
      User avatar
      Irehdna
      Posts: 411
      Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 am

      Would this be the first A380 to land at PIT? I can't seem to find news of another such diversion anytime
       
      Runway28L
      Posts: 2099
      Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:24 am

      Irehdna wrote:
      Would this be the first A380 to land at PIT? I can't seem to find news of another such diversion anytime

      EK has one divert last year from IAD.
       
      Sooner787
      Posts: 2720
      Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 am

      chicawgo wrote:
      Runway28L wrote:
      chicawgo wrote:


      Their runways and taxiways can handle it?

      And oddly enough, FR24 says it's continuing to DFW :confused:


      That would make more sense but its at FL150 headed towards PIT. perhaps emergency low on fuel?


      Maybe a gas n go at PIT before heading to DFW. That's an EK station with 380 gate.

      Once QF8 departs tonight, that 380 gate is available until 1pm tomorrow,
       
      User avatar
      Irehdna
      Posts: 411
      Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:26 am

      Runway28L wrote:
      Now that I think of it, they are more than likely stopping at PIT for fuel then continuing to DFW to try and get the pax reaccomadated.


      That's an odd move IMO. Why DFW? Couldn't they divert to YYZ or IAD?
       
      Runway28L
      Posts: 2099
      Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:27 am

      Now that I think of it, they are more than likely stopping at PIT for fuel then continuing to DFW to try and get the pax reaccomadated.
       
      Flaps
      Posts: 1654
      Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:28 am

      They could do a gas and go to DFW at PIT. That would make sense. Fueling would not be an issue. Thats what they did last year.
       
      mattpawlow
      Posts: 9
      Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:28 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:31 am

      Grand finale tonight at EWR:
      VS1, LX18, EK209, 5X2038, 5X2076 all holding
       
      User avatar
      aemoreira1981
      Posts: 3609
      Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:35 am

      EK209 is holding over the Hudson Valley in New York. TP209 landed at EWR instead of JFK and will be turned around to perform TP206 to OPO. LX18 is diverting to YUL.

      Overnight from South America:
      JJ8080: canceled.
      O68500 (yesterday's flight): delayed 15 hours, diverted to MIA
      O68500 (tonight's flight): likely canceled
      AV244: delayed 14 hours
      AV20: delayed 5 hours
      AV42: delayed 8 hours
      AV570: delayed, may be canceled
      LA532: canceled
      LA530: terminating in LIM
      AA954: delayed 9 hours
      AR1300: on time, likely to be delayed (since last night's flight is still stuck at JFK)
      Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
       
      Runway28L
      Posts: 2099
      Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:37 am

      Irehdna wrote:
      Runway28L wrote:
      Now that I think of it, they are more than likely stopping at PIT for fuel then continuing to DFW to try and get the pax reaccomadated.


      That's an odd move IMO. Why DFW? Couldn't they divert to YYZ or IAD?

      The only thing I can think of is that PIT has a lot less arrival traffic to deal with than IAD or YYZ, giving EK an easier arrival. Plus EK had used PIT as a stopover before.
       
      jerseyewr777
      Posts: 122
      Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 am

      LX18 diverted to YUL
       
      User avatar
      zackary747
      Posts: 753
      Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 am

      PennPal wrote:
      FedEx 3018 FLL-EWR diverted to IND of all places...circled over Trenton, then made two attempts at Newark.

      https://www.flightradar24.com/FDX3018/10075ac2


      Well, after all IND is a FedEx hub.
      Indianapolis Airport Spotter

      Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinkfroot

      Travels (2020): ATL-IND (DL)
       
      User avatar
      qf789
      Moderator
      Posts: 11135
      Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 am

      QF11 has left DTW, FR24 says it’s heading for JFK however it looks like it’s goong back to LAX
      Forum Moderator
       
      shaneam12
      Posts: 48
      Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:00 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 am

      IAD just closed 01L/19R to park aircraft. !IAD 01/029 IAD RWY 01L/19R CLSD 1801050153-1801060200
       
      Flaps
      Posts: 1654
      Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 am

      pgh234 wrote:
      Flaps wrote:
      Skywatcher wrote:
      Just checked FlightAware. AZ610 and BA33K diverted to YUL at 20:00. I guess YYZ/DTW/IAD etc. are getting overloaded. Most airports are maxed out at the best of times-these diversions must really stress everybody out.


      Every suitable diversion point is or is close to being maxed out. Stressed out is an understatement. Its chaos. In many cases even if a flight can get in somewhere and get a place to park there is no one available to handle/process the flights once they are in.


      PIT has space for probably 100 more widebody diverstions (not to mention CLE, CMH, etc). We have gotten hardly anything today.

      I am sure you know more than me...but how can no one at PIT be unable to unload an A-380? I swear EK has diverted here before with the 380. 747's show up with some sort of regularity (Cargo, AF1, diversions). Hell G-20 probably had a few hundered of these widebodies here. Plus, wouldn't the pallet unloaders for Condor 767's and DL 767's and FedEx/UPS A-300s and MD-11's be able to unload a A-380? What "can't they handle?" tow-bars? Unloading? Pushback? Stairs? Gates?


      Prior A380 diversions have been gas and go. No offloading. With the equipment available on the field (all operators) realistically a 747/77W is the largest that can be handled without advance arrangements. Equipment was brought in specifically for the G20. AF1 carries its own handling equipment. Without a towbar it would have to be remote parked and deplaned via stairs. No busses available to bus to terminal from remote parking. Todays diversions (B6 in particular) have sucked up most every bus available for hire. The airport has none. With some lead time possibly some parking shuttle busses could be commandeered but again there is lead time needed even for that. With everything stretched as thin as it is with the existing diversions there arent enough resources to go around.

      No one is willing/going to pony up the the cost of buying and maintaining a towbar for one or two flights a year. This airport will never see a scheduled A380 flight. Not likely even a charter but at least for a charter the necessary arrangements would be able to be completed in advance.
       
      User avatar
      Irehdna
      Posts: 411
      Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 am

      Looks like EC4 has taken off from EWR back to ORY!

      https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOS4
       
      User avatar
      aemoreira1981
      Posts: 3609
      Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:00 am

      EK209 is making at attempt at Newark. VS1 is still holding over Saratoga Springs and Glens Falls in NY. 5X2076 is heading to Harrisburg (MDT), 5X2038 is still holding, and that's all for tonight. SU122 is diverting to IAD as the last diversion there. AT202 from Casablanca is returning to Casablanca. EQ550 tomorrow morning will be canceled, as the aircraft for the route is stuck at JFK right now.
      Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
       
      User avatar
      Irehdna
      Posts: 411
      Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:40 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 am

      DY from FCO just landed at EWR successfully
       
      User avatar
      ClipperYankee
      Posts: 161
      Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 am

      Here's a story on SQ diverting to SWF. Has a picture credited to the airport authority:

      http://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/04/a-singap ... zzard.html
      707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
      772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
      BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900
       
      DCA-ROCguy
      Posts: 4207
      Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2000 5:03 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:08 am

      JetBlue 24, an A321, LAX-JFK, diverted to ROC this afternoon. It is not scheduled to leave for JFK until 10:10am tomorrow.

      Jim
      Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)
       
      jerseyewr777
      Posts: 122
      Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 am

      EK209 has landed at EWR
       
      Croden
      Posts: 32
      Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:50 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 am

      Flying UA1233 tomorrow BOS-IAH at 13:20. Still says on time, will it remain this way?
       
      Vesty
      Posts: 4
      Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:05 pm

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:42 am

      Flaps wrote:
      They could do a gas and go to DFW at PIT. That would make sense. Fueling would not be an issue. Thats what they did last year.

      They're doing just that. EK207 departing PIT for DFW in ~ 10 minutes according to FlightAware.
       
      User avatar
      aemoreira1981
      Posts: 3609
      Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 am

      Just 5X2038 now, which has been in a holding pattern for 2 hours, 5X5518 (both UPS A300s) and PS231 (a JFK flight diverting to EWR). That plane needs to get on the ground.
       
      GalaxyFlyer
      Posts: 6262
      Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 am

      We had a plane hold at TEB for 5 hours, just depends on how much fuel is on-board. Freighters’ loads need to arrive, so on a night like this they may have packed on fuel.

      GF
       
      User avatar
      pwm2txlhopper
      Posts: 1455
      Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:40 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 am

      Some of the first media reports from passengers on the diverted flights are coming out.

      I found this one particularly amusing. Although, I probably won't be so amused if I were a passenger. I defintely pitty the fool on the Qantas flight that diverted to DTW and is now going back to LAX.


      'Winter Storm Diverts Flights From Northeast Cities to Dulles, Causing Major Backlog'

      https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/loca ... 97803.html


      "Passengers on a flight from Buenos Aires to JFK that was diverted to Dulles sat on the runway for more than four hours Thursday night.

      Some passengers told News4 there was confusion about what was happening and why they were sitting for so long.

      “It just wasn’t right. The pilot wasn’t making the proper decisions. The flight was already delayed three hours. We were in the air for 11 and-a-half hours. We were on the ground for four hours, then he was gonna turn the plane around and fly to JFK?” passenger Jeff Bey, of New Jersey, said. “People were scared. They said if the plane was going to take off, everybody was going to stand up, so they couldn’t take off.”
       
      brucetiki
      Posts: 227
      Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:36 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:05 am

      qf789 wrote:
      QF11 has left DTW, FR24 says it’s heading for JFK however it looks like it’s goong back to LAX


      Looks like it hoped to land at JFK before giving up and heading to LAX
      The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video
       
      Brick
      Posts: 1689
      Joined: Wed Aug 04, 1999 11:08 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 am

      UPS2038 has given up on EWR and is now heading to PIT.

      UPS5518 has also given up on EWR and is heading to Harrisburg (MDT).
      Last edited by Brick on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
      A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...
       
      jerseyewr777
      Posts: 122
      Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:06 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:15 am

      PS231 has landed safely!
       
      User avatar
      flyPIT
      Posts: 1918
      Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:25 am

      Flaps wrote:
      Prior A380 diversions have been gas and go. No offloading. With the equipment available on the field (all operators) realistically a 747/77W is the largest that can be handled without advance arrangements. Equipment was brought in specifically for the G20. AF1 carries its own handling equipment. Without a towbar it would have to be remote parked and deplaned via stairs. No busses available to bus to terminal from remote parking. Todays diversions (B6 in particular) have sucked up most every bus available for hire. The airport has none. With some lead time possibly some parking shuttle busses could be commandeered but again there is lead time needed even for that. With everything stretched as thin as it is with the existing diversions there arent enough resources to go around.

      Well that's a whole lot of dramatic speculation. And why would PIT need busses? We only had a bit over a dozen diversions over the course of the day which is not that many. If this article is to be believed then every diversion has a gate available to them:
      http://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2018/01/04/Flights-diverted-Pittsburgh-International-Airport-northeast-storm-bomb-cyclone-New-York/stories/201801040211
      JetBlue used busses to bus their passengers from PIT to NYC (idiotic move), not to get them from airplane to terminal.
      The only thing preventing the proper handling, including deplaning, of an A380 is customs staffing. That issue however is still an embarrassment to PIT considering how hard they brag about their ability to handle situations like this.


      Irehdna wrote:
      Runway28L wrote:
      Now that I think of it, they are more than likely stopping at PIT for fuel then continuing to DFW to try and get the pax reaccomadated.

      That's an odd move IMO. Why DFW? Couldn't they divert to YYZ or IAD?

      This flight was already diverting to IAD before coming to PIT so it is a double diversion. The ONLY plausible explanation for going to DFW is to get the airplane in to position to operate a regularly scheduled DFW-DXB flight later in the week. Unfortunately for the passengers, lack of customs staffing at PIT means they most likely will be going to Dallas with the airplane; I'm sure we'll know tomorrow if they were able to deplane or not. In a sane world, they would deplane at PIT and go to a hotel, the crew would go in to proper rest, and by the time they are out of rest an A380 tow bar could be trucked in from somewhere (if that is even a real issue or just urban legend). The only thing that makes sense is the outbound JFK-DXB flight is cancelled and they will use the plane elsewhere (DFW).
      FLYi
       
      User avatar
      aemoreira1981
      Posts: 3609
      Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

      Re: Northeast Winter Storm 1/4 Thread

      Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:26 am

      Close the book on diversions today---PS231 diverted from JFK to EWR, 5X5518 is diverting to MDT, and 5X2038 is diverting to PIT.
      • 1
      • 2
      • 3
      • 4
      • 5
      • 7

      Who is online

      Users browsing this forum: axiom, Baidu [Spider], Eirules, Google [Bot], lammified, pspfan, QuawerAir, santos, sccutler, smbukas, SYDSpotter, trinidadeG, Wallsendmag, Westerwaelder, withak and 325 guests

      Popular Searches On Airliners.net

      Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

      Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

      Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

      Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

      Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

      Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

      Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

      Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

      Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

      Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

      Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

      Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

      Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

      Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

      Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos