Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chepos

Re: DFW 2018 Developments

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:38 am

Not surprised FCO did well last summer, surprised AMS will come back on a 777. Rumors had been circling around a few years back regarding DFW BCN, wonder if that will ever come to fruition.
Fly the Flag!!!!

mfe777

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:22 am

DFW has made some tremendous gains in the past few years. Here's to hoping 2018 is just as good. In my personal opinion, here are some possible adds:

High probability:
-Norwegian to LGW or BCN
-Aer Lingus to Dublin
-QF bringing back a Brisbane flight, and/or Melbourne when 787s come online
-Japan Airlines upgrades DFW to 777-300ER from 787 (already rumored)

Medium probability:
-Some Chinese carrier, like Hainan to funnel people DFW-China-Other Asian destinations and be a low cost VFR option for DFW Asians especially students.
-China Southern to Guangzhou IF China Southern joins Oneworld
-British Airways upgrades DFW from 744 to A380, or adds a second daily frequency
-LATAM adds service to tap into the DFW Oneworld hub
-AA continues to expand internationally, maybe BCN, Manchester, MUC, Nagoya (for Toyota traffic)

Minor probability:
-Lufthansa upgrades to A350, A340, 744, or 748. Their load factors recently have been near 100%.
-Lufthansa adds Munich (again, their DFW-FRA flights have been full)
-Oneworld adds LEVEL service DFW-Europe to fight off WOW and Icelandair.
-Air France or KLM return to DFW
-Someone to Taipei, whether it be AA, China Airlines, or EVA Air. TPE is the last big hole in NE Asia from DFW.
-Turkish to Istanbul

mfe777

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:16 pm

In addition to the above, another possibility is Emirates going back to an A380 after Etihad departs DFW.

We also might hear something regarding firmer plans for a Terminal F and/or a Terminal C remodel. Or a new airport plan altogether!

Brandon757

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:19 pm

JAL has upgauged NRT/DFW from 788 to 789 starting May 1.

neomax

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Brandon757 wrote:

So much for the 77W rumors.

Sooner787

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Brandon757 wrote:

I prefer the 789 myself:)

stevend08

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:48 am

neomax wrote:
Brandon757 wrote:

So much for the 77W rumors.

A year and a half ago, I took a tour of the JAL 788 at DFW and I asked the station manager about upgrade possibilities.
The station manager responded that he thought the 789 would be a good step up. He personally felt DFW wasn't ready for the 77W (lounge/staff).

ADrum23

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 am

mfe777 wrote:
High probability:
-Norwegian to LGW or BCN

I predict DFW will be next add for DY in the US. DFW, IAH and ATL are the biggest gaps in DY's US network, and all three airports could use some competition for European flights.

mfe777 wrote:
Minor probability:
-Lufthansa upgrades to A350, A340, 744, or 748. Their load factors recently have been near 100%.

I am surprised neither Air France or KLM are at DFW. Could neither really make it work? I know perhaps it maybe because of the fact neither are in the Oneworld alliance, but LH seems to be doing fine as you indicated. What is going on?

neomax

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:16 am

Sooner787 wrote:
Brandon757 wrote:

I prefer the 789 myself:)

Username checks out.

us330

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 am

mfe777 wrote:
DFW has made some tremendous gains in the past few years. Here's to hoping 2018 is just as good. In my personal opinion, here are some possible adds:

High probability:
-Norwegian to LGW or BCN
-Aer Lingus to Dublin
-QF bringing back a Brisbane flight, and/or Melbourne when 787s come online
-Japan Airlines upgrades DFW to 777-300ER from 787 (already rumored)

Medium probability:
-Some Chinese carrier, like Hainan to funnel people DFW-China-Other Asian destinations and be a low cost VFR option for DFW Asians especially students.
-China Southern to Guangzhou IF China Southern joins Oneworld
-British Airways upgrades DFW from 744 to A380, or adds a second daily frequency
-LATAM adds service to tap into the DFW Oneworld hub
-AA continues to expand internationally, maybe BCN, Manchester, MUC, Nagoya (for Toyota traffic)

Minor probability:
-Oneworld adds LEVEL service DFW-Europe to fight off WOW and Icelandair.
-Someone to Taipei, whether it be AA, China Airlines, or EVA Air. TPE is the last big hole in NE Asia from DFW.
-Turkish to Istanbul

DFW has been wanting TPE service from EVA since the early 2000s. Not sure how likely it is--and would probably only be doable if EVA reached a limited codeshare deal with AA to feed the flight.

AAtakeMeAway

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
4. Domestically, AA has added back DFW-OAK, and is also adding DFW-MSO/FLG/AVL/EYW. Besides OAK, I think these are strategic adds to seasonal, yet highly-popular regional markets that can demand a yield premium during busy seasons, and are markets that L-US served from hubs like CLT/PHX/PHL and are now being connected to other hubs in the L-AA network like ORD and LGA as well.

Regarding DFW-EYW -- I read this also on here while back that this service was starting, but do we know when? Has it been loaded?

ADrum23

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:41 am

Since it was overlooked above, I'll ask again. Why aren't either KLM or Air France at DFW? Could neither make a DFW-CDG or DFW-AMS route work, even only a summer seasonal?

ChuckSchumer

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 am

ADrum23 wrote:
Since it was overlooked above, I'll ask again. Why aren't either KLM or Air France at DFW? Could neither make a DFW-CDG or DFW-AMS route work, even only a summer seasonal?

Well AF served DFW briefly in 2001 starting in May, but as you know 9/11 happened and they subsequently pulled out a few months later. As awesome as it would be for another major European airline to fly down here along with IB and EI, the AA/BA OneWorld stronghold is a force to be reckoned with at DFW. AA/BA with their 4x daily to LHR and AA's 1x daily to CDG basically cover most passenger's travel needs into other parts of Europe and Africa. If AF were to fly down here I think they would struggle with yields as most business people would stick with AA/BA/Oneworld and they would maybe have problems keeping economy full. CDG is more of leisure/tourist market, the main business ties are going to be the other bigger metro areas on the coasts JFK, EWR, ORD, IAD, LAX, MIA. Even IAH couldn't sustain both AF and UA, I believed UA pulled out a few years back, basically giving the route solely to AF. While LHR is slightly more busier than CDG, maybe someone else can help elaborate more on the differences between the markets and how DFW-FRA can sustain 2x dailys from both AA and LH.

KLM served AMS-DFW seasonally for a while, but I believed they saw better financial prospects flying to a SkyTeam hub, SLC with better connectivity and feed than dueling with AA/BA and LH for remaining European bound pax.

blink182

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:17 am

ADrum23 wrote:

AF served DFW for a nanosecond in the days of DL's hub and parked at Terminal E. They pulled out most likely because SN's bankruptcy opened up a hole in Africa and gave an AF opportunity to compete for highly lucrative traffic. KL served DFW from 2008 to 2015 or 2016, initially starting yearly and then dropping to summer seasonal before terminating the route entirely. My hypothesis is that they lack the network in South Asia that feeds BA, LH, and the ME 3. Given that KL served DFW for several years and couldn't make it work, I wouldn't bet on AF returning especially nowadays without any DL feed.

Before the "but IAH..." question comes up, AF and KL have been at IAH since probably the 50s, if not the 60s, and KL makes a pretty penny on oil traffic between AMS and IAH, not to mention AF/KL's extensive African network.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

737max8

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:04 am

KLM had DFW-AMS for a while, so I guess it failed? I think it was year round though.

Even AA's seasonal DFW-AMS had pretty bad LF, so shocked it's up-gauged this year.

I would love to see any of the service in mfe777's post!
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

ADrum23

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 pm

blink182 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

AF served DFW for a nanosecond in the days of DL's hub and parked at Terminal E. They pulled out most likely because SN's bankruptcy opened up a hole in Africa and gave an AF opportunity to compete for highly lucrative traffic. KL served DFW from 2008 to 2015 or 2016, initially starting yearly and then dropping to summer seasonal before terminating the route entirely. My hypothesis is that they lack the network in South Asia that feeds BA, LH, and the ME 3. Given that KL served DFW for several years and couldn't make it work, I wouldn't bet on AF returning especially nowadays without any DL feed.

Before the "but IAH..." question comes up, AF and KL have been at IAH since probably the 50s, if not the 60s, and KL makes a pretty penny on oil traffic between AMS and IAH, not to mention AF/KL's extensive African network.

So how can LH survive at DFW with no UA feed?

And what is it with the bad loads between DFW and AMS, even on AA?

Super80DFW

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:52 pm

737max8 wrote:
KLM had DFW-AMS for a while, so I guess it failed? I think it was year round though.

Even AA's seasonal DFW-AMS had pretty bad LF, so shocked it's up-gauged this year.

I would love to see any of the service in mfe777's post!

No it didn't?

It encountered some pretty lengthy and frequent delays due to the 767's maintenance reliability, but the load factors weren't affected by that. AA will fill this 777.

CHI2DFW

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 am

ADrum23 wrote:
blink182 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

LH has been in the market over 30 years and has developed a loyal following. Plus many transplants from Chicago and California are loyal to LH.

blink182

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:02 am

ADrum23 wrote:
blink182 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

They've been in the market since probably the 70s so have decades of data with which to forecast pricing and optimize their revenues. And, they have a decent network into S. Asia, that while trimmed somewhat over the years, is still fairly robust and can support their operation. Up until a few years ago they were the only option between Dallas and India, and for that matter, the only real option in Europe for European connections, so brand awareness is high. Dallas-Europe was never a massively served market until probably a dozen years ago. BA went to LGW, and AA/BA had no ATI until the last decade.
Last edited by blink182 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

ubeema

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:53 am

ADrum23 wrote:
So how can LH survive at DFW with no UA feed

Probably that A340-300 :rotfl:

vadodara

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:30 am

texdravid wrote:
It would have to be a nonstop DFW DEL or DFW BOM because what’s the point of a European/Middle east transfer?

..Also I’m further skeptical about AI as they have North Indian centric view of the Indian subcontinent.

India is not just for Punjabis and Gujaratis after all. The DFW and IAH Indians have a substantial South Indian component to it. .

Geographically, how is this possible?

texdravid

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:42 am

blink182 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
blink182 wrote:

They've been in the market since probably the 70s so have decades of data with which to forecast pricing and optimize their revenues. And, they have a decent network into S. Asia, that while trimmed somewhat over the years, is still fairly robust and can support their operation. Up until a few years ago they were the only option between Dallas and India, and for that matter, the only real option in Europe for European connections, so brand awareness is high. Dallas-Europe was never a massively served market until probably a dozen years ago. BA went to LGW, and AA/BA had no ATI until the last decade.

This.

The BA to LGW in the Bermuda II days really left LH as the only real feed into India. Furthermore, South Indians appreciated the individual flights from
FRA to the southern Indian metros that AI has always ignored.

That has been rewarded by loyalty from a lot of North Texas Indians.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

texdravid

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 am

vadodara wrote:
texdravid wrote:
It would have to be a nonstop DFW DEL or DFW BOM because what’s the point of a European/Middle east transfer?

..Also I’m further skeptical about AI as they have North Indian centric view of the Indian subcontinent.

India is not just for Punjabis and Gujaratis after all. The DFW and IAH Indians have a substantial South Indian component to it. .

Well DFW-DEL is 8186 mi and DFW-BOM is 8795 mi. Ultra long flights >17 hours, but doable.

vadodara

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:23 pm

texdravid wrote:
vadodara wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Well DFW-DEL is 8186 mi and DFW-BOM is 8795 mi. Ultra long flights >17 hours, but doable.

Umm, no doubt. EK, EY, QR do similar. I meant,

Also I’m further skeptical about AI as they have North Indian centric view of the Indian subcontinent.

FSDan

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 pm

737max8 wrote:

It was summer seasonal (although the original intent may have been to serve the market year-round). I believe KL flew it 5x weekly with the 332.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

texdravid

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 pm

“Also I’m further skeptical about AI as they have North Indian centric view of the Indian subcontinent.“

Oh geez, where to begin!

AI for its entire existence has always wanted to and succeeded in making DEL and BOM their two gateways to India, with maybe Ahmedabad thrown in.

Can you name a MAA- LHR/FRA/etc on AI NONSTOP? Ever?

How about BLR? How about any southern metro?

No, for the Madrasi who wants to fly to Europe nonstop, it’s always foreign airlines.

India is a large country and needs more than just two international gateways. We are not South Korea. We are more like the US.

What AI does and always has done is if UA somehow limited international nonstops to EWR or SFO while IAH passengers would have to go to those cities to go international.
Could you imagine?

It is beyond time for AI to stop their North Indian Babu-ji mentality.

ADrum23

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 am

FSDan wrote:
737max8 wrote:

It was summer seasonal (although the original intent may have been to serve the market year-round). I believe KL flew it 5x weekly with the 332.

I'm very surprised KLM couldn't make a seasonal DFW-AMS work, or that AA can't serve it year round from DFW.

ADrum23

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:01 am

texdravid wrote:
vadodara wrote:
texdravid wrote:

What is going on with the previously announced Air India service?

Brandon757

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 pm

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/278311/lufthansa-s19-preliminary-long-haul-changes-as-of-23apr18/

Lufthansa looks to be bringing in the 346 to DFW for Summer 2019. Can't wait to see this bird in DFW.

ubeema

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/278311/lufthansa-s19-preliminary-long-haul-changes-as-of-23apr18/

Lufthansa looks to be bringing in the 346 to DFW for Summer 2019. Can't wait to see this bird in DFW.

Woohoo! I will book that one as soon as available. It’s the last of A340 I have not flown. And right there in my backyard.

gdg9

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm

QF dropping from daily to 6x weekly on the A380 as of February 2019.
@dfwtower

mfe777

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm

mfe777 wrote:

One my of my predictions has come true! Let's see if any others do!

Brandon757

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm

mfe777 wrote:
mfe777 wrote:

One my of my predictions has come true! Let's see if any others do!

Well technically the Lufthansa A340 comes to Dallas as a mix with the A330. It's the A343.

Sooner787

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Brandon757 wrote:

Great news. Maybe LH will have a few A346's in new livery by next summer :)

ADrum23

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 pm

What is going on with the planning for Terminal F and/or the DFW master plan? Haven't heard anything in a while.

subramak1

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 pm

texdravid wrote:

We have that in droves already. Also I’m further skeptical about AI as they have North Indian centric view of the Indian subcontinent. The ME3, BA and LH all do well because from their hubs you can do one stop MAA, HYD, BLR, Kochi, Trivandrum, etc.

India is not just for Punjabis and Gujaratis after all. The DFW and IAH Indians have a substantial South Indian component to it.

Check out Frisco, Sugarland, etc.

AI does serve US non stop only from BOM, DEL . That is because they are the biggest cities by population and economy. But its service from BOM is only to JFK not to any other North Indian destination. DEL is its main hub and when I used AI to fly DEN ORD DEL MAA, it was a pretty seamless experience connecting in DEL. In fact the US flights arriving in DEL all connect to COK, PNQ, HYD, BLR, MAA , GOI well ( Hint - all these are in the peninsula)

Subiu

gdg9

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 pm

Years ago a LH A346 to IAH diverted to DFW due to wx in Houston. It parked at the gate and when it came time to push back, it was discovered there was no tow bar for a 346 at LH or any carrier. They had to drive one up from IAH... told to me by the old LH station manager! After that, a tow bar was acquired for DFW.
@dfwtower

Okcflyer

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:51 pm

gdg9 wrote:
Years ago a LH A346 to IAH diverted to DFW due to wx in Houston. It parked at the gate and when it came time to push back, it was discovered there was no tow bar for a 346 at LH or any carrier. They had to drive one up from IAH... told to me by the old LH station manager! After that, a tow bar was acquired for DFW.

Couldn’t they have just used a super tug?

DfwRevolution

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 am

CHI2DFW wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
blink182 wrote:

LH has been in the market over 30 years and has developed a loyal following. Plus many transplants from Chicago and California are loyal to LH.

I certainly agree LH has good customer loyalty, but I'm not sure you can attribute that to transplants. That's a niche within a niche within a trend that didn't exist until recently. I think there are more fundamental market forces at play:

1. Stronger O&D demand between DFW-FRA than CDG or AMS. There are significant industrial and technology links between DFW-FRA that don't exist for other city pairs. Historically, there is also lots of military friends & family traveling from Ft. Hood to Germany.

2. Lufthansa consistently beats AF and KL at offering well-priced and well-timed connection flights intra-Europe and beyond. It's rarely a contest. I've been traveling between Texas and Europe 5-6 times per year for 4 years and you can always count on LH being $200-300 cheaper if you are connecting onwards to mid-sized European cities.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

ubeema

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:59 am

gdg9 wrote:

That’s kinda funny. But wait drove up from IAH. This is a 4h drive. Why not fly it (i have no idea how bulky a tow bar is)?

YouGeeElWhy

Thu May 24, 2018 1:32 pm

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/ma ... gin-may-24

Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) will launch a major rehabilitation project May 24, closing part of its Runway 17-Center/35-Center (17C/35C) and beginning work on replacing the center third of the 13,400-ft. runway.

DFW is replacing a section of the runway that measures 6,000 ft. by 50 ft., including the sub-base. The airport plans to keep part of the runway open for at least two months, which will allow the southern portion of the strip to be used during the day. Full closure is planned for August as the project expands. Work is slated for completion by year end.

Antarius

Thu May 24, 2018 1:42 pm

ubeema wrote:
gdg9 wrote:

That’s kinda funny. But wait drove up from IAH. This is a 4h drive. Why not fly it (i have no idea how bulky a tow bar is)?

I assume if WX was so bad that IAH flights had to divert, there wouldn't be a lot of outbound IAH flights either.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Brandon757

Wed May 30, 2018 2:02 am

Vatnajökull will be the first Icelandair into DFW tomorrow. Arrival is 9:20pm and will depart Dallas on Thursday at 4:20pm. Pretty cool that this lovely plane with be the first to DFW.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ubeema

Wed May 30, 2018 9:32 pm

WOW and FI racing down to DFW

Sooner787

Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Last one to DFW buys the beer LOL

mfe777

Thu May 31, 2018 1:39 am

I know someone who was on the inaugural WOW Air flight from DFW to KEF last week, and they said the A330 seemed full. Anecdotal, but better news than hearing it was empty!

dfdubflyer

Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm

DFW quickly putting those new gates to use with flights to Del Rio and Buffalo!

OneAA

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:56 am

dfdubflyer wrote:

Del Rio, Buffalo, Sarasota and Wilmington, NC (which will go daily / year round).

Sooner787

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:03 am

ADrum23 wrote:
What is going on with the planning for Terminal F and/or the DFW master plan? Haven't heard anything in a while.

Last I heard AA hadn't signed off on the design on Term F yet. .

Plus F will have to be up and running before the rumored teardown and rebuilding of
Term C can begin

Corpsnerd09

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:05 am

OneAA wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

Del Rio, Buffalo, Sarasota and Wilmington, NC (which will go daily / year round).

DRT = E140 x2
SRQ = CR7 (seasonal)
ILM = CR9 upgraded from Sat only
BUF = 319, Daily

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos