FlyerTalkUserNa

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?--2018

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 am

Flyingstump wrote:
neomax wrote:
Also, SkyConnect opened yesterday. Anyone check it out yet?

Yes. I wasn't very impressed by the train/automated mover itself. I have always been a huge fan of the automated people movers from Bombardier that connect each concourse to the terminal but figured that the Mitsubishi train/people mover would be a step up from those rubber-wheel people movers. After riding the train, it seemed to be about the same experience in terms of speed and smoothness (not very smooth), and the trains actually seem cramped due to the amount of people that will use them.

The rental car facility is nice and impressive, and the economy garage is large and provides much more capacity for parking. If nothing else, the rental car facility is a huge upgrade.

From a user-experience, ease-of-use perspective, this is a good upgrade for those who use the economy parking garage (3 min train service vs shuttle bus service), but it definitely adds time to the rental car experience (walking across the street to get a car vs walking to station, waiting in line to catch a train, and then riding in a cramped train on a somewhat bumpy line while standing up).

Again, overall, it's fine for now, and time will tell if it becomes a hassle for travelers or not. But, for now, congratulations to Joe Lopano and the staff at TPA.

Not to mention the question of how it’s used in 5-10 years with continued transportation disruption.

BTVB6Flyer

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 am

Bahamasair is using Downtown Tampa skyline in an ad on its homepage currently. Would really love to see this route to NAS commence.

Otherwise, PDX the big hole. With LAX filling up as well as LAS. PDX is the hole, with SFO/Bay Area and SEA last for expansion/capacity increase.

I've always said Canada seems like a major hole, especially west Canada. Outside of Central and South America/Caribbean and Europe, I think Canada should be a focus.

CITRUS737ROC

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:10 am

Good Evening all!

Just a heads up if anyone is going to TPA tomorrow to do some plane spotting, Air Transat tomorrow starts it's seasonal weekly service with it's two flights to YYZ and YUL respectively. Hopefully someone can get a pic or two since I'll be working right in the middle of it.

Cheers!
-Brian

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Icelandair about to increase frequency at TPA from sounds like it.

"Tampa International Airport is expected to announce Thursday that Icelandair is expanding service to Iceland, the airport said on Wednesday"

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... anded.html

Flyingstump

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:49 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Icelandair about to increase frequency at TPA from sounds like it.

"Tampa International Airport is expected to announce Thursday that Icelandair is expanding service to Iceland, the airport said on Wednesday"

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... anded.html

Good stuff. Tampa is really doing a good job at landing new air service that is viable and able to grow. I was curious to see what would happen with this route after it seemed to go from year round to seasonal. Does anyone have any numbers to show the route's performance so far?

axiom

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Icelandair is doubling service to 4x weekly. Good news for a route that is only a few months out the gate. No word on whether or not it will go year round as originally intended. Right now, the plan is to suspend service in the summer, between 12 June and 5 September (ie during the peak summer travel schedule).

Flyingstump

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Article in the Tampa Bay business journal. It does not mention whether or not it will go year round nor does it mention what days the flights will take place.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... rease.html

TVNWZ

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Flyingstump wrote:
neomax wrote:
Also, SkyConnect opened yesterday. Anyone check it out yet?

Yes. I wasn't very impressed by the train/automated mover itself. I have always been a huge fan of the automated people movers from Bombardier that connect each concourse to the terminal but figured that the Mitsubishi train/people mover would be a step up from those rubber-wheel people movers. After riding the train, it seemed to be about the same experience in terms of speed and smoothness (not very smooth), and the trains actually seem cramped due to the amount of people that will use them.

The rental car facility is nice and impressive, and the economy garage is large and provides much more capacity for parking. If nothing else, the rental car facility is a huge upgrade.

From a user-experience, ease-of-use perspective, this is a good upgrade for those who use the economy parking garage (3 min train service vs shuttle bus service), but it definitely adds time to the rental car experience (walking across the street to get a car vs walking to station, waiting in line to catch a train, and then riding in a cramped train on a somewhat bumpy line while standing up).

Again, overall, it's fine for now, and time will tell if it becomes a hassle for travelers or not. But, for now, congratulations to Joe Lopano and the staff at TPA.

I see problems. While the rental car space is nice and spacious, it now takes longer because of the time it takes the bumpy train to get to the facility.. And, the train will be crowded. It appears to me that it may be insufficient already. It was packed when I was on it and there was no big, national event taking place--just a normal Tuesday. I can see chaos coming in the fall. And it is bumpy. That's a puzzler since it cost almost a billion dollars. You would think they could get a smoother ride out of the thing.

Flyingstump

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm

This is the third and most interesting article the business journal has written related to Icelandair adding flights to Tampa.
https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... ights.html

Highlights:
- Flights to leave Tampa on Monday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday
- Incredible demand for the route
- Surprising business demand
- Per TPA officials, the main reason people come to Tampa is because the know someone who has a house in the area
- Visit Tampa Bay considers regions in Western Europe and Scandinavia to be key emerging markets
- Per Visit St Pete-Clearwater, 5 year history with Icelandair

Quotes:
"The decision to expand the number of flights was made largely because demand has been 'incredible,' Raucheisen said. But, that demand was also 'surprising' in one respect, he said. 'Certainly, you expect the leisure traveler, even from Europe you expect the leisure traveler to come to Florida to see the beaches and sun and fun. But, the business market is there.'" - Michael Raucheisen, North American spokesman for Icelandair
"'Our five-year history with Icelandair proves we were sowing these seeds long before a flight came to light,' said David Downing, CEO of Visit St. Pete-Clearwater. 'But, we always knew the potential for this flight to play into our larger strategy of growing our largest intentional feeder markets in the U.K. and Europe and we will realize that potential in the months and years to come.'" - David Downing, CEO of Visit St. Pete-Clearwater

So this route seems to be a slam dunk for both TPA and FI. The continued narrative for new routes seems to be that there is untapped demand, it takes several years to convince an airline to start the route, and then the airline experiences immediate success and/or expands service. The on exception to this I can think of is Copa when they first started, but now they have developed the route and are expanding service as well.

With that being said, I think FI is really going to help with exposing Europeans to the area and growing the demand for Tampa Bay as a regular vacation destination (Just like many see Orlando and Miami). Hopefully FI sees continued success on the route, but it would also be nice if other carriers taking a look at TPA would pull the trigger sooner rather than later. Thoughts?

axiom

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:37 pm

Last minute WN seasonal addition: BOS-TPA. Not sure how long it sticks around, but a nice one. They've been on quite a roll at TPA over the last few months, with adds to LAX/SAN/DTW/OMA/BOS. Few expansion options will be left, without looking internationally. WN is now up to 122 daily flights to 43 cities.

avi8

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Nice! How long is the route seasonal for and what’s the frequency? I assume it’s 1 daily.
avi8

Medschool student

jplatts

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 pm

axiom wrote:
Last minute WN seasonal addition: BOS-TPA. Not sure how long it sticks around, but a nice one. They've been on quite a roll at TPA over the last few months, with adds to LAX/SAN/DTW/OMA/BOS. Few expansion options will be left, without looking internationally. WN is now up to 122 daily flights to 43 cities.

WN could still add nonstop service to TPA from ABQ, CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, OKC, RIC, and IAD.

axiom

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 pm

avi8 wrote:
Nice! How long is the route seasonal for and what’s the frequency? I assume it’s 1 daily.

It's once daily, but only loaded for a few weeks in April at present. Given how this just appeared, I can't speculate if we'll see an extension or if this is just an opportunistic, peak of peak season add. Still cool, and unexpected. WN doesn't have the advantage in BOS, after all. And competition on TPA-BOS is higher than ever. The day WN starts service, they'll face 4x on B6, 2x on DL, and 1x on NK.

axiom

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 pm

jplatts wrote:
axiom wrote:

WN could still add nonstop service to TPA from ABQ, CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, OKC, RIC, and IAD.

WN has previously served TPA-ABQ/IAD/ORF. ABQ is long and thin and struggles to hold down MCO, and IAD was swapped for DCA.

ORF should come back, even if only weekend seasonal. It was long served daily - I suspect military traffic fueled it.

OAK feels far more possible now that WN has jumped into LAX/SAN. OKC seasonally may fly. CVG and CLE are very big markets to TPA, but face a lot of fare pressure - it depends on how keen WN is to win business traffic in those markets.

jplatts

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:31 am

axiom wrote:
WN has previously served TPA-ABQ/IAD/ORF. ABQ is long and thin and struggles to hold down MCO, and IAD was swapped for DCA.

WN recently brought back IAD-MCO nonstop service, and WN recently also added IAD-FLL nonstop service. The possibility of WN bringing back IAD-TPA nonstop service might still be there with WN serving MCO and FLL nonstop from IAD, DCA, and BWI.

axiom wrote:
CVG and CLE are very big markets to TPA, but face a lot of fare pressure - it depends on how keen WN is to win business traffic in those markets.

There is enough demand for WN to add CVG-TPA nonstop service with F9 doing CVG-TPA nonstop service on a less than daily basis, with DL only doing 1 daily nonstop in each direction between CVG and TPA, and with the demand for CVG-TPA exceeding the capacity available on the DL CVG-TPA nonstops. WN would also be able to connect passengers to FLL through TPA from CVG if WN adds CVG-TPA nonstop service.

There was an average of 387 passengers a day who traveled between CVG and TPA in Q2 2017 according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report, and this figure excludes travel on the G4 CVG-PIE nonstops. There will only be 220 seats per day available on the DL CVG-TPA nonstops in Summer 2018, and the demand for CVG-TPA exceeds the number of seats available on the DL CVG-TPA nonstops by 167 seats per day.

There is even more demand to TPA from CLE than there is from CVG, and in addition, TPA will only have 1 daily nonstop from CLE on F9 in Summer 2018. There was an average of 531 passengers a day who traveled between CLE and TPA in Q2 2017 according to the DOT Domestic Airline Consumer Airfare Report, and this figure excludes travel on the G4 CLE-PIE nonstops. There will only be 460 seats available on the F9 CLE-TPA nonstops, and the demand for CLE-TPA exceeds the number of seats available on the F9 CLE-TPA nonstops by 71 seats per day.

WN has been at CLE for over 26 years, and the demand for WN service has been increasing in the CLE market since the UA dehubbing at CLE. UA has also discontinued CLE-TPA nonstop service, and NK will not be operating CLE-TPA seasonal nonstop service in Summer 2018. There is room for WN to add CLE-TPA nonstop service with F9 being the only airline to operate CLE-TPA nonstop service year-round, with the demand for CLE-TPA exceeding the number of seats available on the F9 CLE-TPA nonstop flights, with demand for WN service increasing in the CLE market, and with WN having been at CLE for over 2 decades.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:40 am

axiom wrote:
WN is now up to 122 daily flights to 43 cities.

TheTPA facebook page says 148 daily flights to 41 cities
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

axiom

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:55 am

727LOVER wrote:
axiom wrote:

FNT is ending, and they may not be counting BOS seasonal service, since it seems unofficial / unannounced. As for the difference in flight numbers, my source was the WN website's City Fscf page, but all the better. That would make TPA one of WN's top ten stations on peak days, I imagine.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:26 pm

axiom wrote:
727LOVER wrote:
axiom wrote:

FNT is ending, and they may not be counting BOS seasonal service, since it seems unofficial / unannounced. As for the difference in flight numbers, my source was the WN website's City Fscf page, but all the better. That would make TPA one of WN's top ten stations on peak days, I imagine.

Let's do some counting. Using WN's online flight schedule, I picked a random day...Fri June 15

FLL 5
PHX 2
LAS 2
ATL 6
BDL 1
PVD 1
DAL 2
HOU 2
MSY 3
AUS 1
SAT 1
DEN 3
SAN 1
MDW 5
STL 2
MCI 2
IND 3
CMH 2
MKE 1
PIT 2
PHL 1
BNA 4
RDU 2
DCA 2
BWI 7
SDF 1
MEM 1
LGA 2
BUF 1
MHT 1
ISP 1
That's 70 from 31 airports...I checked everything I could think of....what am i missing?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

axiom

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:21 pm

727LOVER wrote:
axiom wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

Let's do some counting. Using WN's online flight schedule, I picked a random day...Fri June 15

FLL 5
PHX 2
LAS 2
ATL 6
BDL 1
PVD 1
DAL 2
HOU 2
MSY 3
AUS 1
SAT 1
DEN 3
SAN 1
MDW 5
STL 2
MCI 2
IND 3
CMH 2
MKE 1
PIT 2
PHL 1
BNA 4
RDU 2
DCA 2
BWI 7
SDF 1
MEM 1
LGA 2
BUF 1
MHT 1
ISP 1
That's 70 from 31 airports...I checked everything I could think of....what am i missing?

Peak day is going to be a Saturday in March or April probably. Summer is slow season in TPA, which is why you get that result. You're also missing airports - best to start from that city fact sheeton WN's website.

jplatts

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:30 pm

727LOVER wrote:

ALB, BHM, HAV, and SJU also have daily nonstop service to TPA on WN. On June 15th, ALB will have 1 daily nonstop to TPA on WN, BHM will have 2 daily nonstops to TPA on WN, HAV will have 1 daily nonstop to TPA on WN, and SJU will have 2 daily nonstops to TPA on WN.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm

jplatts wrote:
727LOVER wrote:

ALB, BHM, HAV, and SJU also have daily nonstop service to TPA on WN. On June 15th, ALB will have 1 daily nonstop to TPA on WN, BHM will have 2 daily nonstops to TPA on WN, HAV will have 1 daily nonstop to TPA on WN, and SJU will have 2 daily nonstops to TPA on WN.

OK...thanx

so that's 76 from 35 cities.

Flyingstump

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 pm

TPA just recorded its busiest month ever for the second year in a row. Frontier and Spirit are really on the rise in Tampa (and throughout the country for that matter), and I don't think we've seen expansion like this since Southwest disrupted the market a few decades ago. I think Southwest and Allegiant across the bay at PIE will be affected the most by this competition, but I wonder if the market can sustain all 4 carriers at such levels.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... l-for.html

From the article:
"The airport served a record 2,192,602 passengers in March, beating the previous high set in March 2017 by 213,358 passengers — a 10.8 percent jump, the airport said Monday.

Since the 2018 fiscal year began six months ago on Oct. 1, 2017, TIA has served 10,761,239 passengers, soaring 953,684 passengers, or 9.7 percent over the same period the previous year.

Both domestic and international passenger growth drove the strong performance. International passenger travel was up 12.3 percent. Meanwhile, domestic travel rose by 9.6 percent."

On Frontier and Spirit:
"However, it was Frontier Airlines that was the airport’s fastest-growing carrier, with an increase of 116.7 percent, which represented more than double its total number of passengers to 683,776 during this six-month period. The Denver-based, low cost carrier began flying to 11 mostly Midwestern cities out of TIA last year, to bring the total number of routes that the airline services to 18."

"Another low-cost carrier, Spirit Airlines (NASDAQ: SAVE), saw 45.5 percent growth and added six routes to serve 845,942 passengers at TIA over the same period."

FLYKTPA

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Flyingstump wrote:
TPA just recorded its busiest month ever for the second year in a row. Frontier and Spirit are really on the rise in Tampa (and throughout the country for that matter), and I don't think we've seen expansion like this since Southwest disrupted the market a few decades ago. I think Southwest and Allegiant across the bay at PIE will be affected the most by this competition, but I wonder if the market can sustain all 4 carriers at such levels.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... l-for.html

From the article:
"The airport served a record 2,192,602 passengers in March, beating the previous high set in March 2017 by 213,358 passengers — a 10.8 percent jump, the airport said Monday.

Since the 2018 fiscal year began six months ago on Oct. 1, 2017, TIA has served 10,761,239 passengers, soaring 953,684 passengers, or 9.7 percent over the same period the previous year.

Both domestic and international passenger growth drove the strong performance. International passenger travel was up 12.3 percent. Meanwhile, domestic travel rose by 9.6 percent."

On Frontier and Spirit:
"However, it was Frontier Airlines that was the airport’s fastest-growing carrier, with an increase of 116.7 percent, which represented more than double its total number of passengers to 683,776 during this six-month period. The Denver-based, low cost carrier began flying to 11 mostly Midwestern cities out of TIA last year, to bring the total number of routes that the airline services to 18."

"Another low-cost carrier, Spirit Airlines (NASDAQ: SAVE), saw 45.5 percent growth and added six routes to serve 845,942 passengers at TIA over the same period."

I don’t expect to see Spirit’s growth slow down anytime soon. I also expect Sun Country to build a decent sized operation here.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

flymco753

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:13 am

Spirit added a 4th daily TPA-DTW. NK flew 4x MCO/TPA/RSW-DTW this winter, more than any other station.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

BTVB6Flyer

Tue May 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Curious to see what, if any, impact the Mosaic HQ move to Hillsborough County will have on South American demand out of TPA, mainly to Brazil. I doubt we see it spur a NS flight to Brazil any time soon, but you would have to assume it will help bolster CM's PTY route and potentially be the catalyst to LAN starting LIM or AV starting BOG, both routes TPA is seeking.

"Closer proximity and better access to its business operations in South America. In 2014, Mosaic acquired Archer Daniels Midland Company’s fertilizer distribution business in Brazil and Paraguay. Earlier this year, it acquired Vale Fertilizantes in Brazil, doubling the size of its workforce. That, executives say, raised the need to keep its Americas-based business units in close contact with corporate leadership."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/c ... _168231262

TVNWZ

Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm

The HQ will not be moving very far. No change in airports or travel logistics will occur.

axiom

Tue May 15, 2018 5:47 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
The HQ will not be moving very far. No change in airports or travel logistics will occur.

Eh? The HQ is relocating from MSP, no?

BTVB6Flyer

Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 pm

TVNWZ wrote:

The Global Headquarters, they announced will be moving to the Tampa area. MSP->TPA. Mosaic is also fairly newly invested in Brazil. Travel logistics will for sure change, to what degree is the question.

If they currently get to Brazil on DL out of MSP it's a easy one stop in ATL. Seems a bit backwards for them to now do TPA-ATL-Brazil, etc.

flymco753

Tue May 15, 2018 6:56 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

The Global Headquarters, they announced will be moving to the Tampa area. MSP->TPA. Mosaic is also fairly newly invested in Brazil. Travel logistics will for sure change, to what degree is the question.

If they currently get to Brazil on DL out of MSP it's a easy one stop in ATL. Seems a bit backwards for them to now do TPA-ATL-Brazil, etc.
They actually have a one-stop plane change via DTW with the same flight number. However, there is still very little traffic between both MSP and TPA to Brazil.
Resort, and other ground transportation options are on level 1.

*Future Route Network Planner*

n92r03

Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Not a new service, but does anyone know why the BA flight now operates at different times on different days of the week? BA2167 arrived in TPA today at 14:00, tomorrow goes back to the normal 16:15 time, then later this week back to 14:00. What gives?

axiom

Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

n92r03 wrote:
Not a new service, but does anyone know why the BA flight now operates at different times on different days of the week? BA2167 arrived in TPA today at 14:00, tomorrow goes back to the normal 16:15 time, then later this week back to 14:00. What gives?

Best guess: Probably due to equipment availability/optimization. Either the LGW is down a bird, or they've added a destination, and they need to maximize the use of frames.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Anyone see the aircraft landing on runway 10 on Sunday?

Flyingstump

Fri May 18, 2018 5:32 am

Although I think this was observed in an OAG changes thread a few months ago, here is an article in the Tampa Bay biz journal about Delta increasing TPA-BOS from 2x daily to 3x daily starting 10/01/18. I'm not sure if this is more reflective of Delta simply growing BOS or DL slowly adding flights to TPA (the last new add being SLC). Delta is up to # 2 in Tampa, and with the exception of FLL, Delta is either #1 or #2 at all the airports they serve in Florida (and usually by a wide margin in some of the smaller airports). They really seem to focus on connecting Florida to the rest of the US through Atlanta.

https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/ne ... ional.html

axiom

Fri May 18, 2018 6:54 am

Delta has always been really strong at TPA -- they only fell from #2 to #3 when AA and US merged, and then only by a slim margin. Back in the early 2000s, they had a strong focus city operation here with quite a lot of P2P flying throughout the southeast.

I think that their recent growth is more about the other markets, but the fact that they can offer so much capacity is surely also a function of how strong they are on this end. From a revenue and passenger perspective, TPA is larger than RDU -- within their top 15 stations iirc. Big but in the background, so to speak.

KFLLCFII

Fri May 18, 2018 8:38 am

Flyingstump wrote:

Wait...Southwest at PIE???
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

axiom

Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

KFLLCFII wrote:
Flyingstump wrote:

Wait...Southwest at PIE???

They meant it as in "Southwest (at TPA), and Allegiant across the bay at PIE"

Midwestindy

Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm

axiom wrote:
Delta has always been really strong at TPA -- they only fell from #2 to #3 when AA and US merged, and then only by a slim margin. Back in the early 2000s, they had a strong focus city operation here with quite a lot of P2P flying throughout the southeast.

I think that their recent growth is more about the other markets, but the fact that they can offer so much capacity is surely also a function of how strong they are on this end. From a revenue and passenger perspective, TPA is larger than RDU -- within their top 15 stations iirc. Big but in the background, so to speak.

Let's see DL bring back TPA-IND sat only and add TPA-SEA
DL DM, AA Gold 2018: AMS, ATL, AUS, BOS, BWI, CDG, CLT, CMN, DCA, DFW, DTW, DXB, EWR, FLL, FRA, HAV, HPN, JFK, JNB, IAD, IAH, IND, LAX, LGA, LHR, LOS, MAD, MCO, MIA, MSP, ORD, PBI, PHL, PVD, SAN, SEA, SJD, SLC, SFO, STL, TPA, TXL, ZRH....Loading....

axiom

Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
axiom wrote:

I'm surprised they're not back on IND, even seasonally.

SEA is curious. On one hand, AS essentially sells out every flight - demand is solid. On the other, three the hub overflight issue. TPA-ATL is one of the highest volume markets in the US; so easy to flow pax that way. The SLC resumption also needs breathing room. SEA could happen, but I'm not counting on it.

Realistically, can any of TPA's big incumbents really grow that much more? Between TPA and PIE the region has access to something like 125 nonstop destinations. I don't know how much more is possible, beyond adding capacity to existing routes.

GVIIO

Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 pm

We who work the BA flight still don't have answers as to why it comes in early now its not fun having a plane sit for four hours now. A plane on the ground is a plane not making money.
Wednesday May 16 Avianca A330 diverted in and Thursday Norwegian 789 diverted enroute LGW-MCO third visit of a 787 ever.

jplatts

Fri May 18, 2018 2:48 pm

axiom wrote:
Realistically, can any of TPA's big incumbents really grow that much more? Between TPA and PIE the region has access to something like 125 nonstop destinations. I don't know how much more is possible, beyond adding capacity to existing routes.

WN does have opportunities to add nonstop service to CVG, CLE, ORF, OAK, RIC, SMF, SJC, and IAD out of TPA. WN also does have opportunities to add additional international service to additional Caribbean destinations and CUN out of TPA.

WN also has an opportunity to extend MSP-TPA seasonal nonstop service to year-round since DL is currently the only airline to have year-round daily nonstop service to TPA from MSP, even though F9, NK, and SY also have seasonal nonstop service to TPA from MSP.

FLYKTPA

Fri May 18, 2018 3:18 pm

There’s a lot of potential for F9, SY or NK to offer some of the same routes from TPA that G4 serves from PIE. ULCCs are TPA’s future in terms of pax growth. NK and F9 are already up by almost 400k pax this year at TPA.

FLYKTPA

Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 pm

There’s also tremendous opportunity for a ULCC to serve routes such as TPA-CUN. The entire TPA-CUN market both ways is a little over 88 people a day and we only have a seasonal 1x weekly DL flight to CUN.

Flyingstump

Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

axiom wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
axiom wrote:

I'm surprised they're not back on IND, even seasonally.

SEA is curious. On one hand, AS essentially sells out every flight - demand is solid. On the other, three the hub overflight issue. TPA-ATL is one of the highest volume markets in the US; so easy to flow pax that way. The SLC resumption also needs breathing room. SEA could happen, but I'm not counting on it.

Delta did indeed have a sizable operation at TPA during the late 90s/early 2000s, and they also had a maintenance base there (the red hangar before PEMCO). So did US Air. However, Delta also had a sizable operation at MCO at the time as well. Both of these operations shrunk during the mid to late 2000s, but unlike MCO, Delta didn't bring back their P2P flying to TPA. I'm kind of hoping Delta becomes the first if not only of US3 to reintroduce p2p flying to TPA. It's convenient to funnel everything through ATL, but I think they could make some p2p flying work. The leisure market is covered with G4 at PIE and now F9 and NK expanding p2p flying at TPA, but I think Delta could fill smaller aircraft with premium business traffic on some p2p routes.

Besides that, the gaps in the Tampa Bay area's network (from TPA and PIE) are primarily south and, to a lesser extent, west. If Alaska wasn't already on the route, I think Delta would do great flying to SEA. With a loyal FF base and connections to Asia, they could probably even start eating Alaska's lunch on the route. However, this probably wouldn't be profitable enough to warrant pursuing at the moment. Within the next 5-10 years (or sooner), I think routes Brazil and Colombia will emerge. They will likely be on a foreign carrier, but again, Delta could partner with GOL to try starting service to Sao Paulo. If Frontier wants to continue the expansion of its route network, they only have 2 destinations in the Caribbean and 0 in South America, and with MCO, FLL, and MIA being crowded, they could look at TPA as a funnel for Latin American traffic. This is unlikely, but wouldn't be crazy.

Has anyone heard anything else concerning possible new flights to Europe?

axiom

Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
There’s also tremendous opportunity for a ULCC to serve routes such as TPA-CUN. The entire TPA-CUN market both ways is a little over 88 people a day and we only have a seasonal 1x weekly DL flight to CUN.

Actually, DL often runs 2x Saturday during peak season. Absurd though it seems. Usually a second M88 or A320.

Also noticed that Havana Air (op by Swift Air) has been running - and is scheduled to continue to run - a weekly Holguin flight. This one was only appearing around Christmas time for a year or so. Nice to see it back. I suspected there was a market for this -- it's where most of TPA's original Cuban population is from. This was also the second city to be added when Cuba charters opened up a few years back.

This in addition to Havana Air's long-running weekly Santa Clara (SNU) and twice weekly HAV flights, both on 734s, and WN's daily HAV turn. 11x weekly flights to the island now.

Lots of naysayers about TPA's Cuba service prospects, but AFAIK this is the only market outside the Miami area that has grown above the initial frequencies awarded.

axiom

Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 am

Forget to mention that WK has been running the A343 the past few weeks. Go grab pics, spotters! That livery never gets boring on that bird.

727LOVER
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 am

axiom wrote:
Forget to mention that WK has been running the A343 the past few weeks. Go grab pics, spotters! That livery never gets boring on that bird.

Good luck with a good weather day for the next 4 months !

AWE !
Baby born at gate F-80....actually, 8 babies

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amberjamieson/ ... wpDnQ3QRZ7

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 pm

NK announced 4x weekly TPA-PHL beginning in December.

TBBJ and TPA Airport Twitter hinting at "announcements" of new routes in next couple of weeks.

PDX maybe and a INTL flight? Really exited to see what's to come.

https://twitter.com/TBBJFrances/status/ ... 7514019840

axiom

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:02 am

Nice. That brings NK up to 20 destinations from TPA.

I'm waiting for that DUB flight. A stretch, but...

FlyerTalkUserNa

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:58 am

PDX or Central America makes the most sense to me. I’m not confident enough in the performance of our TATLs to root for another one.

Ethan123

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:01 am

I would think they would not be rooting for them to come to Portland.
EthanH123

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos