Topic Author

Charleston Airport to remain closed through 7:00PM Monday

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Link/Source: https://www.postandcourier.com/business ... bee53.html

from FAA.Gov:

"CHS
NO SNOW/ICE REMOVAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE
Reopens Jan 08 at 06:59 PM EST."

According the FAA.gov website the Charleston Airport will remain closed through 1900 local (7:00PM) Monday night
due to not having any snow/ice removal equipment.

How did the USAF handle previous snowstorms in th previous years

Now that Boeing is building/test flying aircrafts in Charleston, don't they have anything for snow or ice removal.

jfklganyc

Re: Charleston Airport to remain closed through 7:00PM Monday

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:59 pm

This isnt RDU or ATL...they almost never get snow being a coastal southern city.

There is really no reason for them to invest in snow removal equipment

This storm and cold is a one-off that may not happen again for 20 years.

Newbiepilot

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 pm

The strategy almost sounds like they will just wait until it melts. Charleston gets snow once every 2 or 3 years and rarely any significant amounts.

As a part of airport certification, the FAA requires every airport to have a snow and ice removal plan. I wonder what Charleston’s says. Perhaps they thought it was viable to just wait for it to melt.

Q

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Airport mgmt should call Caterpillar company to rental bulldozer to remove snow why not? Hmm..

Q

GSPSPOT

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Will it REALLY take that long to melt?... In Low Country South Carolina??
Great Lakes, great life.

ikramerica

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:46 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:
The strategy almost sounds like they will just wait until it melts. Charleston gets snow once every 2 or 3 years and rarely any significant amounts.

As a part of airport certification, the FAA requires every airport to have a snow and ice removal plan. I wonder what Charleston’s says. Perhaps they thought it was viable to just wait for it to melt.

The plan is likely "we are not required to plan for 25-year events and thus propose no snow removal measures"

Probably very similar plans are in place in key west, San Diego and Miami.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

coronado

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:50 pm

They should hire the Green Bay Packers Lambeau field snow cleaners. I heard they are unemployed this NFL posteason. They could get Charleston runways handshoveled clean in a few hours!

http://www.google.com/search?q=image+of ... e&ie=UTF-8
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:00 pm

I think it’s a coating of ice; plows won’t work once it’s stuck to the surface; can’t use salt due to the planes.

GF

Lsouth1

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:04 pm

"The Air Force, which owns Charleston International Airport's runway, believed thawing from the sunlight would de-ice the airstrip, but that didn't happen fast." :roll:

atcsundevil

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:21 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I think it’s a coating of ice; plows won’t work once it’s stuck to the surface; can’t use salt due to the planes.

GF

They'd be in the same boat as ORF. ORF got more snow, but it was the ice layer underneath that's given them grief. Their ops were heavily restricted yesterday (I only saw a couple of flights come off yesterday evening), and I expect it to be much of the same today due to the temps. Even if CHS had the ability to clear the snow like ORF, they'd still be hampered if there were ice without specialized equipment.

Atlwarrior

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:36 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
This isnt RDU or ATL...they almost never get snow being a coastal southern city.

ATL rarely get snow either, so I don’t understand the reference to ATL.

iahcsr

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:53 pm

UA is scheduled for a 789 delivery on the 9th... me thinks this won’t happen.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

sparkyjet

Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:32 pm

You need to remove the snow so that the sun will melt the ice underneath. Otherwise, the snow acts as an insulator and it will take much longer for the process. Getting plows or sweepers on the runway to expose the ice underneath will significantly speed up the process.

RDUDDJI

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm

The airport reopened about 1130L with one RWY. (Source: CHS Airport website)

The airport said yesterday morning that they expected to resume operations late yesterday (05JAN) evening or this morning (06JAN).

When temps don't get above freezing, ice is extremely difficult to remove even with normal snow removal equipment. Maybe they could have borrowed one of those jet trucks used to dry the track from a NASCAR track to burn it off. :)

The FAA advisory for 08/2359Z was a "worst case".
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

Cubsrule

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Interestingly, WN looks to have cancelled all of tomorrow’s flights. I’m not sure about others.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

admanager

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:58 pm

The airport and Air Force management relied on faith and hope that "it can't happen here". In spite of the personal inconvenience for me, I am appalled that a major Air Force base can be shut down for an extended period.
Local media coverage discussed how the DOT responded to this snow/ice event and within a couple days all major roads and bridges were fine. CHS management's plan was to wait for the sun.

ericm2031

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Interestingly, WN looks to have cancelled all of tomorrow’s flights. I’m not sure about others.

UA has only cancelled their 3 early AM departures

DaufuskieGuy

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:10 pm

Newbiepilot wrote:

no snow at all since 1989 actually, why would you have equipment given that infrequency? the problem has been lingering below freezing overnight temps which have slowed down melting. such temps are almost as unusual as the snow

and the comparison to ATL is absurd they get snow every 1-3 years and it's a huge airport

klm617

Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Somebody always has to throw in ATL like it's the center of the universe and inch of snow brings ATL to a grinding halt.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

NYCVIE

Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:13 pm

klm617 wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Somebody always has to throw in ATL like it's the center of the universe and inch of snow brings ATL to a grinding halt.

We should instead talk about DTW and its amazing snow recovery plan. :lol:

admanager

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

no snow at all since 1989 actually, why would you have equipment given that infrequency? the problem has been lingering below freezing overnight temps which have slowed down melting. such temps are almost as unusual as the snow

and the comparison to ATL is absurd they get snow every 1-3 years and it's a huge airport

Did you forget about the February 2010 snow event? 3.4 inches at the airport.
https://www.weather.gov/media/chs/event ... eb2010.pdf

Cubsrule

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:00 am

klm617 wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

When was the last one-inch snow (not ice) event that brought ATL to a grinding halt? I can recall an 8-ish inch storm in Charlotte a decade ago from which CLT recovered in well less than 24 hours.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

CallmeJB

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:11 am

admanager wrote:
I am appalled that a major Air Force base can be shut down for an extended period.

That major Air Force base has C-17s on continuous alert ready to scramble the US Army's mechanized infantry anywhere in the world; there are several large Army bases within a few hundred miles of CHS.

I would imagine that if the military needed to move that large of a force somewhere that fast, the CHS Air Force base was fully operational. A little snow and ice wouldn't have gotten in the way. Snow and ice affects stopping ability... and those planes don't plan on stopping in those situations.

787Mech

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:27 am

Received 5.3” here in CHS. Typically when we get any decent amount of snow it melts away in a day or two, this go around was a streak of below freezing days leading up to the snow storm, with the nights preceding the snow it dipped into the teens and remained in the low 30s for the daily highs. Tomorrow the brunt of it should melt off since we will see near 60* high.

The state has a handful of salt trucks and likely any plows would be borrowed. We were closed down for 3 days at Boeing, their snow removal tools are a handful of bobcats and sunlight..

litz

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm

The issue at ATL isn't clearing runways and taxiways ... the equipment is there to do that.

The issue at ATL becomes one of De-Icing equipment for the airplanes ... there's only a few pads, and trucks.

Also surface streets around the airport ... can't fly airplanes if the crews and passengers can't get to/from the airport.

CHS is a totally different animal ... smaller airport, vastly warmer climate (ATL may be the capital of the South, but it does get cold here, as in freezing cold, and with regularity during winters) and it's just not worth the investment in equipment that's going to sit and rot for 19 years before the next 20 year snowstorm hits.

737max8

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:50 pm

WN is operating all but 2 flights today.

Anyone know why WN6243 diverted from RSW-BWI to CHS? Funny enough it was a 737 MAX.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KRSW/KBWI
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:21 pm

737max8 wrote:
WN is operating all but 2 flights today.

Anyone know why WN6243 diverted from RSW-BWI to CHS? Funny enough it was a 737 MAX.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KRSW/KBWI

It's ground time of 39 minutes leads me to believe it was a medical diversion.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos