Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bobloblaw

Re: Icelandair Announces Kansas City - MCI

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
icelandair75w wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Seems odd it will sit a whole day.

MCO, TPA, SEA, DEN, PDX, YVR, ANC are all other examples of destinations that the aircraft sits idle after arrival for 20-23 hours prior to operating the return flight to KEF.

DFW will also follow the same pattern when it starts this spring.

Can someone shed some more light on this a/c utilization strategy? Is it due to the constraints at KEF? Very unusual situation.

Most likely too far west to make the turn and get back for the Europe banks in KEF. Northeast cities probably arent a problem to do a quick turn a make it back.

trexel94

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Blerg wrote:
jubguy3 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
This is an odd add. Who is their key targe here? Americans heading to Europe?

What about SLC? Could the B752 make it?

It's within range I believe, but it's pushing it.

I would love to see Iceland air here but Europe traffic is saturated by premium SkyTeam traffic. SLC is highly oriented towards SkyTeam frequent fliers and I'm not sure that they would do well here. I think maybe Norwegian would do better.

But that's the thing, FI rarely relies on business traffic... I mean if they did then I doubt they would have launched flights to places like Portland, Anchorage or even Kansas City. Utah is an interesting market as it has it all: business passengers, students (backpackers) and Mormons who travel a lot for obvious reasons.

DL's widebody flights to AMS, LHR and AMS probably keeps Icelandair away but if they can make Denver work I don't see why SLC couldn't succeed ether.

ScottB

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 pm

SANFan wrote:
Goodness. Icelandair must have plenty of a/c to waste that much time on that many U.S. turns. (Even if it's due to crew rest considerations.) Seems very wasteful of a very expensive resource. Oh well...

I suspect that the capital cost of FI's 757s is very low at this point given that the average age of the fleet is 22 years and most of the aircraft are second-hand from AA & IB. The 757s are probably cheap enough that they can afford to park several over the winter to manage the seasonal swing in transatlantic demand.

piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Well done, with the growth in flights to the USA is there a chance KEF will operate a pre-clearence CBP any time soon?

Hopefully for everyone using KEF they do. That airport is going to be an absolute zoo this summer. With all this added traffic PLUS the influx of tourists to the country there is just no where to put them all and the wait times are going to be double of what they were last summer.

Somehow, they are going to have to cram all those people into this...

I don't think adding CBP pre-clearance to KEF would help with the terminal capacity problem given that it would require space in an already-crowded terminal and there would have to be some way to segregate the passengers pre-cleared to the U.S. from the rest of the passengers. Besides, there are few airports with sufficient demand to Europe for FI service which lack a CBP facility.

Furthermore, CBP pre-clearance is a poor fit for FI & WW's wayport strategy; minimum connecting times at KEF would be at least two or three hours to allow passengers to be processed by CBP and the aircraft would all have to sit on the ground at the terminal waiting for the passengers during the westbound connecting banks.

SRQKEF

Re: MCI announcement 1/9-Icelandair announces KEF-MCI

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Good add for FI! To answer some of the frequently asked questions here...

Q: Why does the aircraft sit for 20H?
A: Because it’s necessary to hit the main connecting bank over to Europe, that all leaves between 7 and 9 in the morning. They do have some European departures in the afternoon and redeyes but those are only key markets, and FI’s strategy revolves around connecting the smaller cities in America to both smaller and bigger cities in Europe and the reverse. What enables FI to let their aircraft sit this long is the relatively low value of their 757s, ofw which they all own 100%. WOW turns their flights right back because their aircraft are very new and leased, so it’s very expensive to park them and they have to keep them in the air. As a result WW try to stagger their European departures from KEF, but it still means many of their connections are from 8 and up to 26 hours.

Ps. FI also uses those ground stops to do small maintenance checks, and stagger their fleet on the longer routes to maximise the utilisation.

Q: Is pre-clearance a possible option for KEF?
A: No. The reason is it would destroy FI’s and WW’s business models, as their operations squeeze every single minute out of the 24 hour clock. Their strength is selling reliable 45-90 minute connections, and a CBP facility in KEF would destroy that. Currently their misconnections are well below 1% IIRC. The sheer amount of flights to the US daily would also probably mean that the line in KEF would be much longer than 90% of their destinations in the US. For example, in MCI FI will have the only arriving TATL flight while there are maybe 25-40 flights leaving for the US from KEF in the span of 2 hours from 3-5 pm.

Q: Where will the additional aircraft come from?
A: FI has 17 new 737 MAXs and 1 used 753 coming over the next years, and the arrival of the 7M8s and 7M9s enables FI to add more long-and-thin routes with the 757 that require the aircraft to park 20-23 hrs.

regards from Iceland, and hope this clears things up a bit!
Sveinn :)
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

CitizenJustin

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:51 pm

I’m in Wichita, so this makes me VERY VERY happy! I know quite a few people who will utilize this flight.

mjoelnir

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:
Well done, with the growth in flights to the USA is there a chance KEF will operate a pre-clearence CBP any time soon?

Hopefully for everyone using KEF they do. That airport is going to be an absolute zoo this summer. With all this added traffic PLUS the influx of tourists to the country there is just no where to put them all and the wait times are going to be double of what they were last summer.

That is an old picture. The extension they are building there, two gates with air bridges, six gates for busses and 5,000 m2 floor area was finished a while ago. The arrival and the departure hall has been extended by about 300 m2 each, the luggage sorting facility has been doubled and a new hall, housing immigration, Icelandair lounge and additional seating, together about 7,000 m2 has been build. The old immigration area is now used for additional seating and restaurants. The buildings in that picture have grown by 12,600 m2.

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Congrats MCI on getting this FI flight.

DeltaRules

Re: MCI announcemtn 1/9-International?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:
Prepare to be surprised. First announcement of a few new routes from this carrier if my sources are correct. Major network changes coming.

Was this (Icelandair) your card?

Lets call this phase one.

More dots in the Midwest?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

IceAir778

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:15 pm

SANFan wrote:
icelandair75w wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
Seems odd it will sit a whole day.

MCO, TPA, SEA, DEN, PDX, YVR, ANC are all other examples of destinations that the aircraft sits idle after arrival for 20-23 hours prior to operating the return flight to KEF.

Goodness. Icelandair must have plenty of a/c to waste that much time on that many U.S. turns. (Even if it's due to crew rest considerations.) Seems very wasteful of a very expensive resource. Oh well...

Congratulations to KC on this nice achievement! New TATL service feels good for a mid-sized Midwestern city.

bb

FI uses this time to do a A-check on them.

sw733

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:19 pm

So excited by this that I saw the announcement, immediately checked my schedule, and just now booked myself on the first MCI-KEF flight! Selfishly, I am so happy it's Icelandair instead of WOW...

trexel94 wrote:
Never thought I would see the day! Dumb question but does MCI have catering facilities that can prepare hot meals? The only food I've seen served in first out of KC have been ether dry snack goods or cold items like cereal and salads.

They just role the plane down I-35 to pick up some burnt ends, pulled pork, and Z-man sandwiches at Joe's. What more do you need?!

aeromoe

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Blerg wrote:
Utah is an interesting market as it has it all: business passengers, students (backpackers) and Mormons who travel a lot for obvious reasons.

For obvious reasons, please elaborate for the uninformed why Mormons travel a lot.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

DeltaRules

Re: MCI announcement 1/9-International?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:53 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Congrats to MCI. I'm thinking that if it work great seasonally then they may see a year-round TATL flight.

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Kjos has mentioned smaller markets before. I figured you would see them with the A321LRs in 2019. He has mentioned Memphis by name several times the past couple of years as an example.

http://www.anna.aero/2017/09/13/kansas- ... om-europe/

Air Canada recenter added a Second flight to better serve Asia from Memphis for example of a potentiAl untapped market that bypassing the US mega hubs may yield with price stimulation.

Umm...I guess a.net can now focused on CMH now? :stirthepot:

I don't know how much international tourism Columbus has, but Memphis had overy 2 million in 2016 with even higher numbers expected for 2017. The UK and other Western European countries made up a large percentage of that. The stimitation would come from the NA side where it has been suppressed after decades of high fares in Memphis.

Columbus probably has as much inbound international tourism as Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City.

What they don't have enough of, at least now, is industry willing to spend money on flights. That said, DTW's former CEO has just taken the reigns at CRAA, so maybe he'll be able to turn the community upside down for some spare pocket change to make it happen.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:54 pm

klm617 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Wow, we've made it roughly 10 minutes without someone telling us how Kansas City is inferior to Detroit and doesn't deserve this service.

Comparing Kansas City, MO/Detroit, MI/Nat'l avg.
Violent Crime--91/95.5/31.1
Property Crime--65.7/66.1/38.1

Im not in a rush to visit either place!!

Congrats to MCI on landing this new service great addition and badly needed. Still perplexes me that MKE keeps getting passed over with their large European demographic there. Back in the day MKE-FRA charters were operated in the summer months.

The reason is probably the proximity to ORD. On a long trip, the extra time getting to Chicago is offset by the plethora of options and proportionally the added time is a much smaller portion of the trip.

That being said, an airline adding a flight to MKE might find a niche there of people that don't want to do the trip to Chicago.

RJNUT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:39 pm

sw733 wrote:
So excited by this that I saw the announcement, immediately checked my schedule, and just now booked myself on the first MCI-KEF flight! Selfishly, I am so happy it's Icelandair instead of WOW...

trexel94 wrote:
Never thought I would see the day! Dumb question but does MCI have catering facilities that can prepare hot meals? The only food I've seen served in first out of KC have been ether dry snack goods or cold items like cereal and salads.

Good for you! I am booking the back end in Sept. for a three day jaunt flying over in Saga Class and economy return for about $1600 and then a Spa ground package

stlgph

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 pm

trexel94 wrote:

Icelandair has a very specific menu for its flights.
I would imagine they come in with the plane from KEF and then are brought up to the galley on the return.

http://www.icelandair.us/information/on ... ope2/#main
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:41 pm

sw733 wrote:

trexel94 wrote:

They just role the plane down I-35 to pick up some burnt ends, pulled pork, and Z-man sandwiches at Joe's. What more do you need?!

Hope you like cake!
:)
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

OzarkD9S

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Congrats to MCI but I wish it was STL with FI and MCI with WW! No way in hell am I playing the WW crapshoot to Europe.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

dfwjim1

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I counted only 11 gates around the terminal! Is that all that KEF has?

trexel94

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Congrats to MCI but I wish it was STL with FI and MCI with WW! No way in hell am I playing the WW crapshoot to Europe.

Yeah, and STL ended up forking out far more in incentives than KC only to end up with WW. Money well spent lol!

RJNUT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 pm

trexel94 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Yeah, and STL ended up forking out far more in incentives than KC only to end up with WW. Money well spent lol!

I think WOW in STL is just a little over an hour turn whereas MCI on FI gets on time departure due to RON A/C. I am very happy for this announcement. I am nervous about the ability to fill the planes but they may draw from quite far , maybe 150 mile radius? WOW would be OK except for some of their operational issues. Going only as far as REK on them would be fine, however.

ncflyer

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:47 pm

This is a smart strategy going for underserved mid size US markets such as CLE and MCI. You wonder if the US3 will feel pressure to copy to their partner stations in Europe. So much easier to change in Iceland rather than East coast hubs.

eaa3

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

I counted only 11 gates around the terminal! Is that all that KEF has?

It's expanded quite a bit since those photos, plus you can use remote gates.

Jshank83

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 am

RJNUT wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

I think WOW in STL is just a little over an hour turn whereas MCI on FI gets on time departure due to RON A/C. I am very happy for this announcement. I am nervous about the ability to fill the planes but they may draw from quite far , maybe 150 mile radius? WOW would be OK except for some of their operational issues. Going only as far as REK on them would be fine, however.

STL is only paying 50k more a year for 4x weekly and year round service. I was actually surprised MCI had to pay as much as they did. FL is a better airline than WW but for over twice as many flights I thought the incentives would have a wider gap.

STL has a 2 1/2 hour turn. 20:25 to 22:55

EDIT: I had the numbers wrong it is 150k more a year so that makes it a little more understandable. I thought it was 600K but it was 600 from the econ development partnership and 200 from the airport so 800K.
Last edited by Jshank83 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

stl07

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:20 am

trexel94 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Let me get this straight. You would prefer tax money to be spent on a seasonal 3x weekly flight vs a year round 4x weekly flight. WOW good thing the airport board doesn't think like that and chose WOW. If you look at it correlating to the amount of flights we have vs them, STL paid far less incentive money. 500k over 2 years vs 800k at STL.
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

RJNUT
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 am

ncflyer wrote:
This is a smart strategy going for underserved mid size US markets such as CLE and MCI. You wonder if the US3 will feel pressure to copy to their partner stations in Europe. So much easier to change in Iceland rather than East coast hubs.

The problem from the "hinterlands" has been getting to the East Coast hubs, and in summer, with weather , the "Express" flights to EWR, for example are cancelled "en masse" while the TATL flights departing EWR are usually right on time. Same can be said for ORD , in a similar fashion. It has been very frustrating over the years. DL's hubs are probably the best bet for highest probability of making the connection!
This FI option is almost a guaranteed OT connection to Europe

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 am

WaywardMemphian wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Congrats to MCI. I'm thinking that if it work great seasonally then they may see a year-round TATL flight.

WaywardMemphian wrote:

Kjos has mentioned smaller markets before. I figured you would see them with the A321LRs in 2019. He has mentioned Memphis by name several times the past couple of years as an example.

http://www.anna.aero/2017/09/13/kansas- ... om-europe/

Air Canada recenter added a Second flight to better serve Asia from Memphis for example of a potentiAl untapped market that bypassing the US mega hubs may yield with price stimulation.

I don't know how much international tourism Columbus has, but Memphis had overy 2 million in 2016 with even higher numbers expected for 2017. The UK and other Western European countries made up a large percentage of that. The stimitation would come from the NA side where it has been suppressed after decades of high fares in Memphis.

I think if FI or WW decide to add any more US routes, MEM will probably be relatively high on their list

Apparently FI and WW both passed on CMH, so that would mean MEM is the third largest US unserved market for them (I don't know where MKE falls): http://www.dispatch.com/business/201709 ... ervers-say

I could also see FI/WW adding BNA/IND/SAT or AUS/and maybe a few others in the near future, if DY/D8 doesn't move first...
ORD & IND

AA & DL

jph7291

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:19 am

Midwestindy wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Congrats to MCI.

I could also see FI/WW adding BNA/IND/SAT or AUS/and maybe a few others in the near future, if DY/D8 doesn't move first...

DY begins AUS-LGW in March, fyi.
712, 732/5/G/8/9, 752, 763, 772/W, 319/20/21, M80/90, F100, CR2/7/9, E45/70/75, AT7, DH4/8
ACK,ATL,AUS,BOS,BWI,CDG,CLE,CVG,DAL,DAY,DEN,DTW,EWR,FLL,HOU,HSV,HNL,IAH,IND,MCO,MDW,MRS,NCE,OAK,ORD, ORY,PDX,PHL,RNS,SAN,SEA,SDF,SFO,SJC,YYZ

jeffh747

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 am

First of all, hats off to MCI for getting this addition and it’s a vey nice addition for FI’s network.

piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Secondly, HOLY CRAP! I’ve never seen a picture of the KEF airport. I always pictured it in my head as an airport the size of around FLL or SAN, thinking about the amount of airlines they have. How on earth do all the other airlines not FI or WW fit, like BA, DL, or UA and the others? Also, that looks like a very narrow corridor from the main terminal building to the other smallish building where the FI aircraft are docked around. Do passengers wait in the larger terminal building to board, or how does it work?
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

SRQKEF

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 am

jeffh747 wrote:
First of all, hats off to MCI for getting this addition and it’s a vey nice addition for FI’s network.

piedmontf284000 wrote:
readytotaxi wrote:

Secondly, HOLY CRAP! I’ve never seen a picture of the KEF airport. I always pictured it in my head as an airport the size of around FLL or SAN, thinking about the amount of airlines they have. How on earth do all the other airlines not FI or WW fit, like BA, DL, or UA and the others? Also, that looks like a very narrow corridor from the main terminal building to the other smallish building where the FI aircraft are docked around. Do passengers wait in the larger terminal building to board, or how does it work?

That’s an old photo, the terminal is much larger now. And those other airlines you mentioned, along with other large operators at KEF such as DY, U2 and W6, usually operate outside the FI and WW departure banks when the airport is empty of Icelandic planes, so they have too much space if anything.

Nevertheless, you’re correct that the airport does get quite busy in the summer, although it was worse in 2014-15 in my experience (since then there have been quite a few remote gates added which lessens the burden on the main terminal). The larger building currently hosts check-in areas and a landside waiting area on the lower floor and security, a shopping area and restaurants on the upper floor. From there you indeed take the corridor. Gates by the corridor are Schengen-only, while the building at the end (now much larger) is Schengen on the upper floor and non-Schengen downstairs. Hope this clears things up a bit!

regards, Sveinn

jeffh747

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 am

SRQKEF wrote:
jeffh747 wrote:

piedmontf284000 wrote:

That’s an old photo, the terminal is much larger now. And those other airlines you mentioned, along with other large operators at KEF such as DY, U2 and W6, usually operate outside the FI and WW departure banks when the airport is empty of Icelandic planes, so they have too much space if anything.

Nevertheless, you’re correct that the airport does get quite busy in the summer, although it was worse in 2014-15 in my experience (since then there have been quite a few remote gates added which lessens the burden on the main terminal). The larger building currently hosts check-in areas and a landside waiting area on the lower floor and security, a shopping area and restaurants on the upper floor. From there you indeed take the corridor. Gates by the corridor are Schengen-only, while the building at the end (now much larger) is Schengen on the upper floor and non-Schengen downstairs. Hope this clears things up a bit!

regards, Sveinn

Thanks for the reply! I think I got a better picture in my mind now. How does boarding through gates in that narrow corridor work though? It seems very narrow to have any sort of traditional podium or waiting area.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

stl07

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:19 am

hahaha
Missouri- "Show me state" 2
Georgia- "Worlds largest airport" 0
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Q

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:21 am

It looks like ICE 757 layovers in MCI a little bit a day later.

Q

GSPSPOT

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am

Good on ya, MCI!! Hoping something similar will come for MKE in the not too distant future. But our county govt has got to see the urgency of making our new international arrivals facility a reality ASAP first (sadly not very likely).
Great Lakes, great life.

trexel94

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:25 am

Articles have also mentioned that MCI authorities are hoping to land flights to the UK and/or Germany in addition to having Icelandair. What are the chances of Condor or BA serving Kansas City? I could see KC adding at least one more European destination when the new terminal is done.

trexel94

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:34 am

stl07 wrote:
hahaha
Missouri- "Show me state" 2
Georgia- "Worlds largest airport" 0

Georgia- fly just about anywhere in Europe non-stop on a widebody (15)
Missouri- just now receiving their first TATL to REK (one each)

How's that for a "hahaha". :roll:

But in all seriousness, Icelandair or WOW should give ATL a try.

Blerg

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 am

aeromoe wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Utah is an interesting market as it has it all: business passengers, students (backpackers) and Mormons who travel a lot for obvious reasons.

For obvious reasons, please elaborate for the uninformed why Mormons travel a lot.

Not only do Mormons send thousands of people to missions but there are actually more of them outside the US than in it. Their Church is extremely rich and active and they keep a tight relationship with their international community which is why so many of them travel to and from Salt Lake City.
A few months ago I was at SLC waiting to board and the three DL flights next to mine were exclusively filled with Mormon missionaries.

It is estimated that there are almost 16.000.000 Mormons in the world out of which 6.500.000 live in the US, 1.400.000 in Mexico, 1.350.000 in Brazil, 745.000 in the Philippines...

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 am

trexel94 wrote:
Articles have also mentioned that MCI authorities are hoping to land flights to the UK and/or Germany in addition to having Icelandair. What are the chances of Condor or BA serving Kansas City? I could see KC adding at least one more European destination when the new terminal is done.

It would depend on how the FI flight does, but I would assume BA would at least add STL and/or CMH before they add MCI, STL is a larger TATL market even with WW and has a large Oneworld FF base thanks to AA while CMH is unserved in terms of TATL flights.

In terms of a best bet for flights to UK and Germany from MCI, probably (as you said) DE to FRA or Norwegian to the UK.
ORD & IND

AA & DL

tkoenig95

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 am

Hmm.. wonder if this small-market startup will spark FI to push their planned DFW service a bit farther south to AUS.

hvusslax

Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:04 am

jeffh747 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I think I got a better picture in my mind now. How does boarding through gates in that narrow corridor work though? It seems very narrow to have any sort of traditional podium or waiting area.

It is rather tight and there is not much seating by the gates. People just line up along the walls and if there are more than two gates boarding at the same time it can become a bit of a mess. Currently there are four gates remaining on the corridor like that (A11-A14) but since that picture was taken the area around A15 and A16 has been expanded with more seating and they have been turned into into flexi-gates where they can also function as non-Schengen gates D15 and D16. I have heard different rumors about the fate of gates A11 to A14. Either they will keep the gates and widen the entire corridor in a similar manner to what was already done at gates A15 and A16 or they will wait for a new tier of gates stretching out of the north building and then stop using the corridor gates.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm

tkoenig95 wrote:
Hmm.. wonder if this small-market startup will spark FI to push their planned DFW service a bit farther south to AUS.

Why? Outside of both enticing folks from TUL, FSM and XNA to drive and fly, there's little overlap. I actually think this is smart for MCI. They can entice folks to drive and fly from Omaha, Des Moines, Wichita, Springfield and Northwest Arkansas. That why I think memphis would be attractive for the TATL LCCs, decent tourism with it's music and food history and the ability to stimulate demand locally and from Little Rock, Jackson MS, and even Birmingham AL. They could even poach budget minded Nashvegans.

What all of this does is put pressure on the US Legacies to lower their connecting fare through their megahubs. Hub consolidation made this all possible.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm

[img]KP[/img]
Midwestindy wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

I think if FI or WW decide to add any more US routes, MEM will probably be relatively high on their list

Apparently FI and WW both passed on CM
H, so that would mean MEM is the third largest US unserved market for them (I don't know where MKE falls): http://www.dispatch.com/business/201709 ... ervers-say

With all three ahead of MEM, there's an issue of proximity. Jacksonville has Orlando and even Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Atlanta, San Antonio has Austin, Houston and even Dallas along with runway issues. Columbus has this "surrounded" as well. MCI was an island much like MEM. MEM, according to that chart, really out punches itself considering it's overall passenger numbers and is evolving into an O&D airport. That doesn't even take into account those drive in from other airports like BNA and MSY to visit.

FlyingJhawk

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm

This is pretty damn exciting news for who call MCI our home airport. I don't see this service being for travelers need to get to Europe since there are a ton more options for one stop service. This is made for people like me that want go to places like Iceland...it's on my bucket list and if everything works out me and a friend will be there this summer!

RJNUT
Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm

FlyingJhawk wrote:
This is pretty damn exciting news for who call MCI our home airport. I don't see this service being for travelers need to get to Europe since there are a ton more options for one stop service. This is made for people like me that want go to places like Iceland...it's on my bucket list and if everything works out me and a friend will be there this summer!

Actually their whole "shtick" is transporting travelers between Europe and N America. Depending on just Iceland traffic alone would not be sustainable. But it will entice many travelers such as yourself to go only there and back. In fact I plan to do the same.

DeltaRules

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:40 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
[img]KP[/img]
Midwestindy wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:

Apparently FI and WW both passed on CM
H, so that would mean MEM is the third largest US unserved market for them (I don't know where MKE falls): http://www.dispatch.com/business/201709 ... ervers-say

With all three ahead of MEM, there's an issue of proximity. Jacksonville has Orlando and even Tampa, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Atlanta, San Antonio has Austin, Houston and even Dallas along with runway issues. Columbus has this "surrounded" as well. MCI was an island much like MEM. MEM, according to that chart, really out punches itself considering it's overall passenger numbers and is evolving into an O&D airport. That doesn't even take into account those drive in from other airports like BNA and MSY to visit.

Cincinnati and Indianapolis are 40 miles closer together than Jacksonville and Orlando and both have CDG on the same airline using the same airplane.

FA9295

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

It seems like Icelandair and WOWair are purposely adding routes in nearby markets from one another by means of route competition. Some examples:

WOW adds KEF-STL route; then FI adds KEF-MCI route.
    FI adds KEF-MSP route; then WOW adds KEF-DTW route.
    WOW adds KEF-EWR/JFK service, competing against FI's current New York service.
    AA, WOW and FI all add DFW-KEF service (this shocks me that three airlines will be simultaneously operating this route)
    WOW adds KEF-MIA competing against FI's existing KEF-MCO (previously KEF-SFB) route.
    WOW adds KEF-CVG route; then FI adds KEF-CLE route.

All in all, it'll be very interesting to see these Icelandair and WOWair continuing to go head to head for service to Iceland and/or using KEF as a gateway to Europe.

FA9295

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

Cincinnati and Indianapolis are 40 miles closer together than Jacksonville and Orlando and both have CDG on the same airline using the same airplane.

Yeah, DL adding IND-CDG doesn't make sense to me for this very reason, as well as possible demand issues...

Jshank83

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

RJNUT wrote:
FlyingJhawk wrote:

Actually their whole "shtick" is transporting travelers between Europe and N America. Depending on just Iceland traffic alone would not be sustainable. But it will entice many travelers such as yourself to go only there and back. In fact I plan to do the same.

I would be interested to see the numbers on how many just go to Iceland and how many continue on. I am more in the only go to Iceland boat as you and take someone else if I am going to anywhere else in Europe but I am sure the low cost gets decent numbers on people connecting (especially on wow)

klm617

Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:58 pm

FA9295 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Yeah, DL adding IND-CDG doesn't make sense to me for this very reason, as well as possible demand issues...

Money can give someone all the reason in the world. Perhaps this was just Delta showing their dissatisfaction to WOW Air coming to CVG
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

DeltaRules

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 pm

klm617 wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Money can give someone all the reason in the world. Perhaps this was just Delta showing their dissatisfaction to WOW Air coming to CVG

I think IND-CDG was because Indiana backed a Brinks truck up on Delta Way for them to launch the service.

It's all about money. None of MCI, STL, IND, CLE, or PIT have TATL service today without incentives.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm

FA9295 wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Yeah, DL adding IND-CDG doesn't make sense to me for this very reason, as well as possible demand issues...[/quote

One would have thought AMS would have been a great compliment instead of the CVG duplication. I guess Delta wanted to protect an important larger airport from the TATL LCCs. If Delta had kept Memphis as a reliever sized hub like CVG and kept the AMS flight it may have warded off BA at BNA, who knows. Either way, it would have freed up space for the Air Trans/Southwests and Allegiants of the world like it has at CVG. I think Nashville would have got NorweGian and a 788 like Austin if BA didn't come in and may still.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos