klm617

Re: DELTA announces 2017 profit $5.5 Billion USD

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

lutfi wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Since Delta is so profitable and pating themselves on the back may they can shelf those $60 bag fees they are planing to implement on international travelers.

One of the reasons why they are so profitable is that they are good at working out what people will/ will not pay for.

Well taking cloths with you is kind of a necessity what other choice do you have but to pay. They charge for food on domestic flights and I don't see very many people buying their $10 snacks if your theory was right the whole plane would be standing in line to but one of those over priced snacks. Wait next up paying for IFE.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

NZ321

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 pm

So what pray tell is returned to those who bailed them out in chapter 11 reorganisation? Or do they see nothing?
Plane mad!

jbs2886

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:23 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
geologyrocks wrote:

I honestly don't see them having a case against the airport or Georgia Power. If they have an insurance policy that covers such events then so be it but I don't know of any company/organization that's going to pay you for lost revenue. If you ship a critical part that is desperately needed to do whatever it is you need to do tomorrow via UPS and they don't show up then you're only562 going to get your money back for the shipping costs.

With that being said, there seems to be a lot of misplaced hatred towards Delta on these forums but Delta obviously knows what it's doing.

Lol. Legal issues are not as simple as shipping. Read my post above. If you’re so knowledgeable, explain how there wasn’t negligence? Do you know what’s Delta’s contract with the airport says in the way of interruptions?

It’s not simply “lost revenue”. If somebody / entity is at fault because they were negligent, then yes, you absolutely can recover lost revenue. It’s like a slip and fall, the plaintiff can recover lost wages.

I never claimed to be knowledgeable but stated my opinion. Do you know what the contract says? What about when Delta had its computer issues? Does it owe every airport and every Hudson News money?

Apparently it's all as simple as a slip and fall personal injury case.

You said you didn't know of any company that would pay for lost revenue. Hardly an opinion. Regardless, yes, it actually a negligence case is as "simple" as a slip and fall personal injury case. The legal theory at issue is precisely the same. (FYI, I am a litigator.)

When Delta had its computer issues, certainly someone maybe could argue DL owes money, but those airports weren't precluded from operating. The argument that DL owed a responsibility to the airport or Hudson News is far more tenuous than an ATL to DL.

bkflyguy

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

NZ321 wrote:
So what pray tell is returned to those who bailed them out in chapter 11 reorganisation? Or do they see nothing?

Oh, good grief. No one bailed out anyone. Generally, in bankruptcy, debt holders are liquidated or agree to reduced payments and are given stock (equity) in the new company in exchnage. Considering DL stock is up over 300% since 2013, and is paying a dividend, I wouldn't worry too much about their prior creditors.

jbs2886

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

bkflyguy wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

Oh, good grief. No one bailed out anyone. Generally, in bankruptcy, debt holders are liquidated or agree to reduced payments and are given stock (equity) in the new company in exchnage. Considering DL stock is up over 300% since 2013, and is paying a dividend, I wouldn't worry too much about their prior creditors.

While generally I agree, the government did step in on pensions.

itchief

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:46 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

They made $6.1B in 2016.

And American Airlines made $7.6 billion in 2015.

Yes, and AA dropped to $2.68 billion in 2016.

Things have really changed for airlines when someone can put up a post saying "AA dropped to $2.68 billion" in profit. :o

bkflyguy

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
bkflyguy wrote:
NZ321 wrote:

While generally I agree, the government did step in on pensions.

That is a good point. Although Delta continues to fund the pension funds and keeps talking about their contributions to get it fully funded. So, I don't know if the government actually had to pay anything. I think that the PBGC becoming the trustee only allowed Delta to get the obligation of its books and, had Delta ultimately liquidated, then the government would have been on the hook to pay benefits. Technically a subsidy, but in practice, it's not since the government hasn't actually contributed to the plan. Still a very fair point.

DL747400
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:31 am

klm617 wrote:
Since Delta is so profitable and pating themselves on the back may they can shelf those $60 bag fees they are planing to implement on international travelers.

Don't want to pay 1st checked bag fees over the transatlantic? The solution is simple: Don't purchase a Basic Economy fare.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

jfern022

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 am

DL747400 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Don't want to pay 1st checked bag fees over the transatlantic? The solution is simple: Don't purchase a Basic Economy fare.

Bet if all the flights transatlantic left from Detroit, it would be the smartest idea.

NWADTWE16

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:20 am

Congrats to the employees who keep the machine running the way it does!
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Adispatcher

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 am

Congrats, DL!

Blerg

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 am

DL747400 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Or don't fly Delta. Simple as that.

coronado

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 pm

Delta Annual Report 10K for 2017 filed with the SEC today and available on Delta web site under Investor Relations.. Have not read full thing yet but a couple things came out. Refinery had a profit of $110million in 2017. I deduced the cost of each A320neo ordered in Q4 2017 is resulting in a per aircraft commitment cost amount of somewhere between US$56 and 61mm each, up from the derived $40-$45mm each I calculated for the previous order of A320ceo's.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos