enilria
Topic Author

DL: Investment Strategy In Other Airlines "Essentially Complete"

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:16 pm

On the investor call, Ed Bastian said : "Our portfolio of asset investments (in other airlines) is essentially complete".

This is interesting in that I assumed they would continue this strategy going forward with more and more airlines until a cross-ownership JV strategy essentially supplanted SkyTeam. That may still have happened, but it sounds like there are not other steps envisioned at this point.

FSDan

Re: DL: Investment Strategy In Other Airlines "Essentially Complete"

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Can someone summarize what DL's current holdings are? I know they have stakes in AM, G3, and VS (and I think it's up to 49% for a few of those), but do they have any holdings in other partners such as VA and 9W?

Also, do JVs count as "asset investments"? I believe the full list of JV partners as of now is WS (still undergoing approval?), AM, VS, AF/KL/AZ, KE, and VA. Did I miss any?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

deltal1011man

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 pm

enilria wrote:
On the investor call, Ed Bastian said : "Our portfolio of asset investments (in other airlines) is essentially complete".

This is interesting in that I assumed they would continue this strategy going forward with more and more airlines until a cross-ownership JV strategy essentially supplanted SkyTeam. That may still have happened, but it sounds like there are not other steps envisioned at this point.

Could we not just do one thread on the Delta Q4 stuff instead of multiple?
FSDan wrote:
Can someone summarize what DL's current holdings are? I know they have stakes in AM, G3, and VS (and I think it's up to 49% for a few of those), but do they have any holdings in other partners such as VA and 9W?

Also, do JVs count as "asset investments"? I believe the full list of JV partners as of now is WS (still undergoing approval?), AM, VS, AF/KL/AZ, KE, and VA. Did I miss any?

Investments: MU(~3-4%), G3(~10%), VS(49%), AM(49%), AF/KL(10%)

JVs, VS, VA, AM, AF/KL, AZ, KE and WS.

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
Could we not just do one thread on the Delta Q4 stuff instead of multiple? .

As soon as the news articles get posted it will become its own thread anyway.

simairlinenet

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Check out slide 29 on http://s1.q4cdn.com/231238688/files/doc ... y_2017.pdf

This slide shows the top 10 international markets from the U.S. Delta's investor focus has of course been in trying to fill those 10 markets. What could be left on that slide or elsewhere?
-Deepening existing equity arrangements
-Adding Korean Air
#4 Japan: no opportunities
#5 Canada: equity in WestJet
#7 Germany: no opportunities
#8 India: Jet Airways
#9 Italy: not a good idea

TUSDawg23

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:07 pm

I think DL is being prudent by not pushing too much harder in ownership stakes in other carriers. They have probably seen the hard lesson EY has had to learn here.

ScottB

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:03 pm

TUSDawg23 wrote:
I think DL is being prudent by not pushing too much harder in ownership stakes in other carriers. They have probably seen the hard lesson EY has had to learn here.

I think the only "hard lesson" to be learned from EY, which is not a hard lesson at all (because it is common sense), is to not invest in troubled carriers unless one is willing and able to lose the entire investment -- and that could have been learned from SR. If the owner is willing to sell for cheap, it might not be a good buy unless you have a well-planned and feasible strategy to fix the business's various problems. In the case of AZ, for example, there's basically no way to fix the airline's structural problems, so they were throwing their money into a bonfire.

Yahnih

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 am

I think Japan govt might of regretted the decision of the non acquisition of SkyMark by Delta... the transition to ICN as a hub seems like a positive move for both Korea and Delta. Given the facilities itself are in a better position with the opening of T2. There will be a lot of vacant spots in T1 which many airlines might more than willing to expand their operations at ICN given the right incentives.

hayzel777

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 am

Yahnih wrote:
I think Japan govt might of regretted the decision of the non acquisition of SkyMark by Delta... the transition to ICN as a hub seems like a positive move for both Korea and Delta. Given the facilities itself are in a better position with the opening of T2. There will be a lot of vacant spots in T1 which many airlines might more than willing to expand their operations at ICN given the right incentives.

They didn’t really have a choice...Airbus and Intrepid were the majority creditors.

SteelChair

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Yahnih wrote:

My understanding of the Japanese government with regard to foreign airlines operating there under grandfathered rights left over from World War II is that they wanted those airlines gone whatever it took.

Also, ICN has never really met it's potential......hubbing there is a different animal than Japan.....and everything changed (flows of traffic) after the fall of the CCCP and Polar overflight became possible and the long range twins came into being. To summarize, I think that there are still too many moving pieces in place to make such an assertion that they will regret getting rid of a foreign competitor. My reading of the Japanese mentality is that the don't really want foreign companies doing there actually inside their country (MHO, I could be wrong).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos