User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4344
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:43 pm



If you look at the picture closely, you can see that the red cheatline has been painted blue. Why?
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?
 
superjeff
Posts: 1079
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
N62NA wrote:


If you look at the picture closely, you can see that the red cheatline has been painted blue. Why?


The plane has been withdrawn from service and is now in storage awaiting resale or scrapping. American wants to remove their identification from the airplane so it doesn't appear to be a derelict bird in their (in this case former) livery.
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Over the years literally hundreds of x-AA planes have had this done to them.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4344
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:03 pm

superjeff wrote:
The plane has been withdrawn from service and is now in storage awaiting resale or scrapping. American wants to remove their identification from the airplane so it doesn't appear to be a derelict bird in their (in this case former) livery.


I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 838
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

They go through that effort to de-identify the livery, but forget a pretty crucial piece? Or maybe they had to change out a rudder to get it to ferry somewhere?
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:16 pm

N62NA wrote:
superjeff wrote:
The plane has been withdrawn from service and is now in storage awaiting resale or scrapping. American wants to remove their identification from the airplane so it doesn't appear to be a derelict bird in their (in this case former) livery.


I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.


I agree with you. I get WHY they do it, since it is not their property anymore. Same with the WN 733 stored. On some, the SOUTHWEST has been covered up. Hard NOT to tell what airline they were formerly with.
Image
 
Sooner787
Posts: 2209
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

What has AA been doing to the jets in their new livery after retirement?

Easy to paint over the billboard title on the fuselage, but tail's hard to miss
 
qcpilotxf
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
They go through that effort to de-identify the livery, but forget a pretty crucial piece? Or maybe they had to change out a rudder to get it to ferry somewhere?

Painting a rudder requires it to be re-balanced. It is much easier to leave half a logo on it than to re-balance the entire thing. AA likely paints the red bar on the plane to protect their trademark. It prevents anyone but AA to operate the plane in that livery, because some carriers might not want to paint the aircraft if it was sold.
 
trnswrld
Posts: 1270
Joined: Sat May 22, 1999 2:19 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Same reason you see things covered or painted over after a accident or crash. Search for pics of accidents/minor crashes, you’ll see logos and names covered or painted over.
 
777PHX
Posts: 732
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
What has AA been doing to the jets in their new livery after retirement?

Easy to paint over the billboard title on the fuselage, but tail's hard to miss


I don’t know that any of the repainted ones have been retired, save for the 767 that burnt down in ORD. My understanding is that the entire MD80 fleet wasn’t repainted and they only repainted the 757s and 767s they planned on keeping for a period of time. Although, there’s only 35 757s left in the fleet, so it’s entirely possible some of them have been retired in the new livery.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Topic Author
Posts: 4344
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:11 pm

qcpilotxf wrote:
AA likely paints the red bar on the plane to protect their trademark. It prevents anyone but AA to operate the plane in that livery, because some carriers might not want to paint the aircraft if it was sold.


That makes sense.
How come I can't upload an avatar photo to my profile?
 
timf
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:16 pm

777PHX wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
What has AA been doing to the jets in their new livery after retirement?

Easy to paint over the billboard title on the fuselage, but tail's hard to miss


I don’t know that any of the repainted ones have been retired, save for the 767 that burnt down in ORD. My understanding is that the entire MD80 fleet wasn’t repainted and they only repainted the 757s and 767s they planned on keeping for a period of time. Although, there’s only 35 757s left in the fleet, so it’s entirely possible some of them have been retired in the new livery.

I know I've seen a photo of at least one. From what I can remember, they painted out the blue but left the red and white.
 
User avatar
yochai
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm

timf wrote:
777PHX wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
What has AA been doing to the jets in their new livery after retirement?

Easy to paint over the billboard title on the fuselage, but tail's hard to miss



I know I've seen a photo of at least one. From what I can remember, they painted out the blue but left the red and white.


 
johns624
Posts: 1780
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm

N62NA wrote:

I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.
99.999% of the public are not a.net geeks.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 8525
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 pm

qcpilotxf wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
They go through that effort to de-identify the livery, but forget a pretty crucial piece? Or maybe they had to change out a rudder to get it to ferry somewhere?

Painting a rudder requires it to be re-balanced. It is much easier to leave half a logo on it than to re-balance the entire thing. AA likely paints the red bar on the plane to protect their trademark. It prevents anyone but AA to operate the plane in that livery, because some carriers might not want to paint the aircraft if it was sold.

:checkmark:
They are not idiots. They (and WN, and others who do the same thing) know that you can easily tell who the former owner was. That is not the point.
 
User avatar
cosyr
Posts: 1153
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

I always thought that the red was painted (or decaled) over a blue primer. When AA lent one for Airport 75 it also had 2 blue stripes, thinly disguised for "Columbia Airlines". I wonder why AA would put so much more effort into their stored planes than all the other airlines that just remove logos.
 
Flaps
Posts: 1439
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2000 1:11 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 pm

AA has been painting the red line blue at retirement for a long time. I've seen a number of 727's operated over the years with the blue stripes and just the name of the new operator added.
 
User avatar
Florianopolis
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm

In case you were ever curious where NASA got their space shuttle carriers . . .

Image
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15939
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
What has AA been doing to the jets in their new livery after retirement?

Easy to paint over the billboard title on the fuselage, but tail's hard to miss


Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
richierich
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2000 5:49 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Are the AA planes flown to the desert with the blue stripe or is the repainting done before the aircraft's last flight?
None shall pass!!!!
 
MSPbrandon
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 pm

richierich wrote:
Are the AA planes flown to the desert with the blue stripe or is the repainting done before the aircraft's last flight?


Usually it's done just after the plane arrives at the boneyard.
 
Cebo29
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:11 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:30 am

AA & AE aircraft are painted that way for their ferry flight to the desert as required by company rules...at least when I was working with them.
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:57 am

It is NOT that expensive to paint the red strip blue. You can mask off the area around with tape and paper from a roll and simply after wipping the red with acetone roll a coat of the correct blue paint. Then the aircraft is ready for the ferry flight to the desert. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
grbauc
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 am

johns624 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.
99.999% of the public are not a.net geeks.



I believe you nailed it.
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:00 am

Florianopolis wrote:
In case you were ever curious where NASA got their space shuttle carriers . . .

Image


You cannot pluralize this with "space shuttle carriers". Only one is ex-American. The other is a former Japan Airlines 747SR-46.

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
einsteinboricua
Posts: 6562
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 am

I've wondered the same thing and only one person was able to give a possible answer (that still doesn't make sense).

Folks in this forum are aware that AA repaints the red part of the cheatline blue. That's not the question: it's why. You'd think that an aircraft retired from service, if owned by a leasing company, would be painted white or bare metal to do a "reset" if its to be resold (odds are the buyer wants their own livery applied). And if owned by the company it would not spend money on a half-done job (it's gonna be a soda can, so why bother?).

And while it it true that 99.999% of the population isn't composed of airplane geeks, a great part of it travels or lives close enough to an airport or flight path and, if vigilant enough, would know how to distinguish when a plane coming in for a landing is from AA or WN or DL without looking at the titles or using a flight tracking tool.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
 
User avatar
ADent
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 am

Maybe they are afraid of something like this:

 
BAeRJ100
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 am

ADent wrote:
Maybe they are afraid of something like this:



To be fair, in that example it appears that AS was leasing the a/c from UA (going by the caption) rather than AS being too lazy to paint an old UA plane. Hybrid liveries when an aircraft is leased between two airlines happens quite a bit. See G-BNLH/VH-NLH in hybrid BA/QF livery, and a 747 that had basic JL livery with QF titles.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A320/321/332/333/346/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900
 
Italianflyer
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 am

I was under the impression it has something to do with insurance and liability. These planes, while not actively flying, are still registered with the FAA as 'stored'. If something were to happen and cause injury/death while under the custody of a 3rd party (whoever operates the boneyard) then the airline dosent want their branding associated with the incident.

That's how it was explained to me years ago.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 15939
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:27 am

NWAROOSTER wrote:
It is NOT that expensive to paint the red strip blue. You can mask off the area around with tape and paper from a roll and simply after wipping the red with acetone roll a coat of the correct blue paint. Then the aircraft is ready for the ferry flight to the desert. :old:


Some of the ex-AA planes I saw at Roswell last year had the red cheatlines painted over in a very crude fashion. Maybe they ran out of masking tape? :D
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 14844
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:10 am

TWA302 wrote:
N62NA wrote:
superjeff wrote:
The plane has been withdrawn from service and is now in storage awaiting resale or scrapping. American wants to remove their identification from the airplane so it doesn't appear to be a derelict bird in their (in this case former) livery.


I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.


I agree with you. I get WHY they do it, since it is not their property anymore. Same with the WN 733 stored. On some, the SOUTHWEST has been covered up. Hard NOT to tell what airline they were formerly with.
Image



WN doesn't want anyone asking about their growing focus city in Marana. ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
USAirKid
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
I've wondered the same thing and only one person was able to give a possible answer (that still doesn't make sense).

Folks in this forum are aware that AA repaints the red part of the cheatline blue. That's not the question: it's why. You'd think that an aircraft retired from service, if owned by a leasing company, would be painted white or bare metal to do a "reset" if its to be resold (odds are the buyer wants their own livery applied). And if owned by the company it would not spend money on a half-done job (it's gonna be a soda can, so why bother?).

And while it it true that 99.999% of the population isn't composed of airplane geeks, a great part of it travels or lives close enough to an airport or flight path and, if vigilant enough, would know how to distinguish when a plane coming in for a landing is from AA or WN or DL without looking at the titles or using a flight tracking tool.


It mostly comes down to cost.

A leasing company doesn't want to spend money to repaint an airplane since when they lease it to a new customer they or their customer will just have to repaint it again. Getting an airplane to bare metal does take some effort and cost as well.

AA on the other hand wants the airplane not to be associated with AA for various reasons, such as trademark protection and reputation risk, but they don't want to spend too much to remove the AA livery from the airplane, thus the repainting of the blue stripe and the removal of the AA logo from the tail, but not the rudder. (Remember, rebalancing the rudder costs money! Don't spend money on an airplane that won't be yours in a few days.)

If I were to put my money on it, I'd bet that this is trademark protection. You also see restaurants that close locations promptly remove all of their trademarked signage, or at the bare minimum paint over them with black paint. The important thing about trademarks is you have to protect them, if you don't, you're at risk of losing them. I'm sure AA's triple stripe is registered trade dress as is the logo, if you let another airline use either of them (such as by selling the aircraft to them before removing those logos) you're at risk of losing them, or at the very least you've gotten yourself a legal headache as you have to defend your trademark, which means having a lawyer write a demand letter to the new owner, then suing the new owner if they don't remove the AA logos from the airplane. Its much easier just to take care of it before you give up possession of the airplane, but to do it as cheaply as possible to keep the lawyers happy.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1058
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:27 pm

As many other posters have put it - the aim is not to disguise the previous operator of the aircraft but to prevent them losing control of their trademarked branding. Some airlines are less concerned than others, granted, but making some attempt to remove more obvious pieces of their identity is not at all uncommon:




(interesting discovery here, for me anyway, is that the tulip on UA's battleship livery was a decal rather than painted-on - as evidenced by it simply being peeled off! :P )

Of course there are other circumstances where airlines do have a greater interest in protecting their brand than normal, a well-known one being when CI605 went off the end of the runway at Kai Tak in 1993. In that case the vertical stabiliser was removed (with dynamite, of all things!) at the behest of the airport authority as it interfered with the ILS signal for runway 31, but CI were very fast to paint over their name and eventually also the fuselage cheatlines in order to lessen their exposure before they could have the aircraft removed and scrapped.

 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

I get that, but it's not really all that effective. Does anyone NOT know this is a former AA plane? LOL.


I agree with you. I get WHY they do it, since it is not their property anymore. Same with the WN 733 stored. On some, the SOUTHWEST has been covered up. Hard NOT to tell what airline they were formerly with.
Image



WN doesn't want anyone asking about their growing focus city in Marana. ;)


I know, right? Who would have thought that WN would be starting a new "focus city" there!
 
F27500
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Nooo... that's the plane they close for the new 'Airport' movie ! Remember "Columbia Airlines" and "the Stevens Corp" 747s in those movies ... still totally in AA livery with the red stripe changed to blue ... ?

"Airport 2018" on the way! ;)
 
travaz
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 1:03 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I get lawyers :duck: and the desire of the Airline to protect thier branding but if someone were to see a jet take off from DFW and land in GYR how would they even know that the aircraft is being retired?

The first picture of the 763 is going to become an Amazon Prime plane.
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1308
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Back when NWA took over the original Republic, NWA had the RC maintenance guys use paint rollers to cover the tail red. I even saw them paint over the aqua/blue with white paint. They wanted to KILL OFF the DUCK ASAP.
I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
global2
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:50 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:33 pm

F27500 wrote:
Nooo... that's the plane they close for the new 'Airport' movie ! Remember "Columbia Airlines" and "the Stevens Corp" 747s in those movies ... still totally in AA livery with the red stripe changed to blue ... ?

"Airport 2018" on the way! ;)


I was going to say that the plane is being prepped for sale to Columbia Airlines! :lol:
 
User avatar
kjeld0d
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Florianopolis wrote:
In case you were ever curious where NASA got their space shuttle carriers . . .

Image


The one case where the original titles should have stayed on. 747 LuxuryLiner Shuttle cAArrier
 
bluejuice
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:55 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:18 pm

As aviation enthusiasts, we have much more knowledge when it comes to planes, liveries, other areas in fine detail. I am always surprised at what people here can glean from the most subtle pieces of information. That being said, the general public likely has no clue who owned a plane as soon as the name is covered up. As a self selected group, it may feel like everyone is able to identify the airline splashed with a poorly done paint job. I have a friend who is into knitting as much as we are into aviation. She can identify dozens of types of stitches, materials, and other subtle details related to the hobby. To me, it just looks like a quilt, sweater, scarf, etc. It's very much like her saying, "It's plainly obvious a stockinette stitch was used. How can someone think otherwise?"
Not biased against vacuum flush.
 
User avatar
Pilawt
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:48 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 pm

richierich wrote:
Are the AA planes flown to the desert with the blue stripe or is the repainting done before the aircraft's last flight?


This is N937UW arriving at Phoenix Goodyear Airport on November 7, 2017, on its last flight (from KPHX, 20 miles away, as AA9651). It looks like it could have just come from the paint shop.



Today, barely two months later, it is parked at KGYR, its "American" billboard and logo painted over, and all the blue paint removed from the vertical fin.

Image
 
F27500
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 pm

Amazing to see so many parked airliners in the newest liveries of their companies. Seems like a real waste of $$ to paint a plane they know is going to be scrapped in not too long a time.
 
User avatar
notaxonrotax
Posts: 1248
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 am

bluejuice wrote:
As aviation enthusiasts, we have much more knowledge when it comes to planes, liveries, other areas in fine detail. I am always surprised at what people here can glean from the most subtle pieces of information. That being said, the general public likely has no clue who owned a plane as soon as the name is covered up. As a self selected group, it may feel like everyone is able to identify the airline splashed with a poorly done paint job. I have a friend who is into knitting as much as we are into aviation. She can identify dozens of types of stitches, materials, and other subtle details related to the hobby. To me, it just looks like a quilt, sweater, scarf, etc. It's very much like her saying, "It's plainly obvious a stockinette stitch was used. How can someone think otherwise?"


The fairest point that I have seen made on-line today.
We often forget that!

F27500 wrote:
Amazing to see so many parked airliners in the newest liveries of their companies. Seems like a real waste of $$ to paint a plane they know is going to be scrapped in not too long a time.


Yeah, quite amazing indeed.


No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"
 
User avatar
kc135topboom
Posts: 11054
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:32 am

MSPbrandon wrote:
richierich wrote:
Are the AA planes flown to the desert with the blue stripe or is the repainting done before the aircraft's last flight?


Usually it's done just after the plane arrives at the boneyard.


Before I retired from DFW (i retired in 2009), AA airplanes that were being retired had the red cheat line over painted with blue before they departed for the boneyard. They only did this for retired airplanes. AA airplanes that were scrapped at DFW (1 F-100 and 1 DC-10-30) they did not repaint the cheat line.
 
drdisque
Posts: 746
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:25 am

In 2003 AA donated a few of their retired 727's to Ariana Afghan Airlines and they in fact flew them with the two blue stripes for about a year before they were repainted in the airline's full pre-war livery (in the meantime the blue on the nose started to flake off and the red showed through).

 
MSPbrandon
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 am

kc135topboom wrote:
MSPbrandon wrote:
richierich wrote:
Are the AA planes flown to the desert with the blue stripe or is the repainting done before the aircraft's last flight?


Usually it's done just after the plane arrives at the boneyard.


Before I retired from DFW (i retired in 2009), AA airplanes that were being retired had the red cheat line over painted with blue before they departed for the boneyard. They only did this for retired airplanes. AA airplanes that were scrapped at DFW (1 F-100 and 1 DC-10-30) they did not repaint the cheat line.


I stand corrected, thanks
 
User avatar
cougar15
Posts: 1325
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:13 am

Looking at the Ariana above, I remember one (722), also with the blue cheatline instead of red, all this being just after 911. The aircraft in question went ´missing´ somewhere in Africa (I think it was Nigeria if memory serves me right) , caused a lot of bad press & fear at the time, so I expect that they were glad they had at least changed the cheatline from red to blue due to all the negative press coverage of the event. sadly I don't recall if it was ever ´found´ again.

Edit: just found it on Wikipedia, at least in German, it was N844AA and went missing in Angola in 2002 , CIA & FBI tried to find it.
some you lose, others you can´t win!
 
timf
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 pm

F27500 wrote:
Amazing to see so many parked airliners in the newest liveries of their companies. Seems like a real waste of $$ to paint a plane they know is going to be scrapped in not too long a time.

The ex-US Airways planes had to be repainted anyway, and that particular 757 flew for 2 1/2 years in the new colors before being retired so it's not a complete waste.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3260
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Flaps wrote:
AA has been painting the red line blue at retirement for a long time. I've seen a number of 727's operated over the years with the blue stripes and just the name of the new operator added.

Yapp, saw my last one in 2011 in CAI -

ImageCentrafrique Air Express Boeing 727-223Adv., TL-ADY by N14AZ
 
Yflyer
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:05 am

Re: Why Ex-AA 767 Red Cheatline Painted Blue

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm

scbriml wrote:
Some of the ex-AA planes I saw at Roswell last year had the red cheatlines painted over in a very crude fashion. Maybe they ran out of masking tape? :D


I would guess that since the planes aren't likely to fly again anyway it's probably not worth the effort to mask everything off and try to make it look nice. Much easier to just send a guy up with a can of blue paint and a roller.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos