BREECH
Topic Author

How convenient is Embraer's yoke?

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I always wonder how convenient that thing is. Airbus offered the sidestick and there's been a huge discussion about sidestick-vs.-yoke ever since. But somehow nobody (that I know of) seems to be discussing "the Embraer way". Every time I look at it I think, that just can't be convenient. It's basically a handlebar and pilots have to move the whole column to control the airplane, even if the length of the lever is pretty short. Anyone tried it? Anyone has any info about what pilots say about it? Preferably those who tried the old-fashioned yoke or the side-stick. I also wonder WHY they decided to use that kind of yoke. And why not a sidestick? Does the avionics suite (Garmin, Honeywell, etc) have any influence on the type of control lever? Or can they just be adapted to anything?
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

FabDiva

Re: How convenient is Embraer's yoke?

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:07 pm

It actually works like a Boeing yoke, the whole thing moves for pitch and just the handlebar rotates for roll. IIRC some British designs used this too (Concorde certainly did)

As to how it flies I'm not a pilot.

sevenair

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 pm

It doesn't look convenient to me.

Where's the tray table? How do they eat dinner? ;)
Taking back control.

TropicalSky

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm

There was some discussion in the past on this forum regarding the Embraer designed and it was said that it was designed to be ergonomic for pilots and that pilots feels it comfortable and natural......don't know if this has changed as I haven't had the pleasure of flying one myself but I'm sure someone here can give a definitive answer

N353SK

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm

sevenair wrote:
It doesn't look convenient to me.

Where's the tray table? How do they eat dinner? ;)

Exactly!!! :biggrin:

Popular rumor / urban legend is that when Embraer was designing the 170 they surveyed current 145 pilot on their favorite and least favorite things about about the aircraft. Apparently the bicycle handlebar yoke was the thing pilots most wanted gone, but Embraer decided to keep it because they view it as a “trademark” of sorts.

In addition to Concorde, Hawker jets also feature the handlebars.

Mikeer50

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm

It’s actually pretty comfortable when controlling the aircraft. It’s a very ergonomic design IMHO. Now eating or doing paperwork, that’s a different story.

N766UA

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Pretty sure the shape has to do with not having to move your knees when you go full deflection left or right. A conventional yoke you might bash your kneecap a little, whereas the rams horn creates a little knotch for you. The brits have been using it for 50 years before Embraer used it.

B777LRF

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Stretch your arms in front of you, notice the angle of your hands in the natural position. That angle is the exact same as the handle bars, which mean you don't have to twist your wrists to grab hold of them, as you do on conventional designs. That's the ergonomics side of the design.
Signature. You just read one.

AR385

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I am not a pilot. I will just share what one of my best friends, a pilot on a certain airline who for a certain time was Captain of that airline´s fleet of Embraers. Essentially, he hated the yoke. And many crews (according to him) hated it too. The main thing for him, was that the yoke, with its horns at a downward angle, screwed up the visibility of certain vital instruments. Particularly in delicate phases of the flight. He know is a Captain on the Boeing 787s and is truly happy.

Boeing778X

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm

My pilots are okay with it. Some larger guys said that the end will touch their thighs if they turn it far enough.

Personally, when I feel it, it seems a lot less stressful on the arms as opposed to a standard column.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

Redbellyguppy

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I liked it. It worked reasonably well and I hand fly a lot. It was a little difficult in crosswinds where the wind was blowing from the same side your had was on (left for CA, right for fo) but it wasn't the end of the world. My friend who is an emb tech rep says they wanted to put a side stick in but were afraid it would impede sales to former 145 operators.

pilotpip

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 pm

It's not an issue, otherwise they would not have sold several thousand aircraft with it. It's actually quite comfortable in most cases. I do wish the pivot point was a little closer to the handles like it is in hawkers, as the crosswind thing is annoying, but it's nothing more than an inconvenience.

Side stick was in the original sketches of the E2, but was abandoned because it would have meant a different type (different input). The Legacy 500 and designs going forward will likely all be side stick.
DMI

CanesFan

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I have 10,000+ hours in the 145 and never had an issue with the yoke. In some ways I think the yoke design made it easier to “fine tune” my grip for maneuvers like stall recoveries in the simulator.

CosmicCruiser

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 am

flew both, each different neither a problem