Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sircygnus

Re: Chicago Aviation News - 2018

Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:39 pm

I apologize for not being previously being clearer but this is more recent than that press release. CDA website now showing open 24/7 for remainder of 2018, not just certain dates. Can anyone confirm? https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/ServicesAmenities/services/Pages/ATS.aspx. Video via link says ATS project will double ATS capacity to around 4200 passengers per hour, and is still slated to be completed by Fall 2019.

ord787

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:30 am

"The ATS will be running 24/7 from now until Jan 8th at 5:00 am. A scaled down busing operation will also remain in operation. On Jan 8th 5:00 am the ATS will be taken out of service 24/7 until the projects scheduled completion date." that from the email we got from CDA

midway7

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:56 am

With the ATS closed, how does one transit between T-5 to T1? An international arrival to domestic departure connection.

yeogeo

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm

midway7 wrote:
With the ATS closed, how does one transit between T-5 to T1? An international arrival to domestic departure connection.

After dropping off your bags and exiting the secure area one boards a bus . The first stop is T-1.

yeogeo

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 pm

The tower for the de-icing pads looks close to being operational.
(left side of pic, taken when taxiing by looking west from SS, yesterday)

TWA1985

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:25 pm

It looks like the ORD-AKL flight spent OVER 17 hours in the air on Wednesday ... that’s one LONG flight!
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

yeogeo

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:39 pm

LOT will be getting 4 new 789s next year and are planning to use them on WAW-ORD and KRK-ORD routes, among others.

https://www.pasazer.com/news/40168/lot, ... i,usa.html (in Polish)
- thanks to desmoLCY in the LOT news thread, p.4
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1385575&start=150

yeogeo

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:43 pm

TWA1985 wrote:
It looks like the ORD-AKL flight spent OVER 17 hours in the air on Wednesday ... that’s one LONG flight!

Well, its going to happen... 16hrs 20min is scheduled. Hope loads are good to support this ULH.

yeogeo

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:10 pm

The suburban Journal & Topics has an update on the construction of the interchange of I-490 & I-90 off the North-west corner of O'Hare, among other projects to complete a "Ring Road" around the field:

https://www.journal-topics.com/articles ... 0-project/

...and the Chicago Business Journal's Lewis Lazare reports on American's press release commemorating 5 years since the AA/US merger and the notable achievements since then at O'Hare. Lazare also indulges in a favorite sport of his: taking a few digs at United along the way.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... erger.html

Fargo

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:36 pm

yeogeo wrote:
The suburban Journal & Topics has an update on the construction of the interchange of I-490 & I-90 off the North-west corner of O'Hare, among other projects to complete a "Ring Road" around the field:

...and the Chicago Business Journal's Lewis Lazare reports on American's press release commemorating 5 years since the AA/US merger and the notable achievements since then at O'Hare. Lazare also indulges in a favorite sport of his: taking a few digs at United along the way.

To the first post, they will be building the employee parking lot in phase 1 on the west side, so it won't completely be a "highway to nowhere." I'm pretty sure they'll build it out to pax as well once the Satellite 3 and APM threshold of 100,000,000 passengers is triggered.

To the second point, while it is a bit obnoxious, it's fine by me he's taking a few digs at UA. They (UA) sure haven't shown ORD a lot of love in recent years as far as plane gauges and international offerings. I wish more journalists would do it to light a fire under UA to do something.

kordcj

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 am

Fargo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

To the first post, they will be building the employee parking lot in phase 1 on the west side, so it won't completely be a "highway to nowhere." I'm pretty sure they'll build it out to pax as well once the Satellite 3 and APM threshold of 100,000,000 passengers is triggered.

To the second point, while it is a bit obnoxious, it's fine by me he's taking a few digs at UA. They (UA) sure haven't shown ORD a lot of love in recent years as far as plane gauges and international offerings. I wish more journalists would do it to light a fire under UA to do something.

We all like to take swipes at UA for what they themselves haven’t done at ORD, but if you look at what the partner airlines have done, I’m sure UA has had some say in whether the additional services were warranted at the airport. We have
NH flying to HND
NZ to AKL
LX is 2x daily to ZRH in summer
OS has had stable service for a while now

These plus a few other flights probably wouldn’t be possible without United’s codeshare/JV.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:11 am

kordcj wrote:
Fargo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

We all like to take swipes at UA for what they themselves haven’t done at ORD, but if you look at what the partner airlines have done, I’m sure UA has had some say in whether the additional services were warranted at the airport. We have
NH flying to HND
NZ to AKL

These plus a few other flights probably wouldn’t be possible without United’s codeshare/JV.

Indeed, and those have been wonderful additions. However, UA themselves have become stagnant. Consider the following.

1. ORD is the only UA hub without any 787 Dreamliner service. How can this be?

2. ORD has the lowest mainline % of all UA hubs (and among the lowest of all of the US3 hubs outside of places such as LGA, DCA, etc). How can this be?

3. On that note, ORD still flys a very high number of 50 seaters into the market. How can this be?

4. AA has been the one to launch ATH, VCE, BCN, etc. UA hasn’t been launched a new long haul route out of ORD on their own metal in a while. How can this be?

5. UA has been expanding in TLV in recent years, but ORD still doesn’t have a flight. They were passed over in the latest round for IAD, and while I agree IAD deserved a flight to TLV, LY should’ve been the one to launch it. How can this be?

I want to stress this is NOT a complaint, but I feel these are legitimate questions (in particular, the first two) that need to be asked of “Chicago’s hometown airline”. If UA wants get a better lead on AA, they need to step up their game.

Perhaps if UA gets more 788’s?

stlgph

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 am

Delta finally adding Boston to O'Hare service in late summer 2019.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

stlgph

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 am

Is United at OHare limited at a number of gates using them for 50 seaters only?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Planeboy17

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:56 am

stlgph wrote:

Starts September
5 daily
All 175s operated by Republic

Planeboy17

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 am

Fargo wrote:
kordcj wrote:
Fargo wrote:

NH flying to HND
NZ to AKL

Indeed, and those have been wonderful additions. However, UA themselves have become stagnant. Consider the following.

2. ORD has the lowest mainline % of all UA hubs (and among the lowest of all of the US3 hubs outside of places such as LGA, DCA, etc). How can this be?

3. On that note, ORD still flys a very high number of 50 seaters into the market. How can this be?

4. AA has been the one to launch ATH, VCE, BCN, etc. UA hasn’t been launched a new long haul route out of ORD on their own metal in a while. How can this be?

5. UA has been expanding in TLV in recent years, but ORD still doesn’t have a flight. They were passed over in the latest round for IAD, and while I agree IAD deserved a flight to TLV, LY should’ve been the one to launch it. How can this be?

I want to stress this is NOT a complaint, but I feel these are legitimate questions (in particular, the first two) that need to be asked of “Chicago’s hometown airline”. If UA wants get a better lead on AA, they need to step up their game.

Does EWR have scheduled 787 service?

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
kordcj wrote:
NH flying to HND
NZ to AKL

Does EWR have scheduled 787 service?

They will next year, the 787-10’s will be based out of there and SFO.

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 am

stlgph wrote:

Now all that’s left is LAX for DL to add. Wonder when they’ll jump on that.

Planeboy17

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Fargo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I’m guessing they will drop CVG sometime soon, they are down to just 50 seaters on it and will most likely need the gate space at ORD.

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
Fargo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I’m guessing they will drop CVG sometime soon, they are down to just 50 seaters on it and will most likely need the gate space at ORD.

Yeah, I’m surprised DL hasn’t cut ORD-CVG. It’s pretty much all O&D now and 50 seaters as you said. WN, AA and UA all fly the route with larger aircraft, and it isn’t that far of a drive. DL knows they’ll have to jump on ORD-LAX sooner or later, so why not free up space by cutting CVG?

It wouldn’t be much of a loss. Personally, I think it’s time for DL to defrock CVG and cut it to hub flying only. CVG doesn’t serve that much of a purpose in the DL system anymore, and it’s not like Cincinnati is booming the same way BOS and RDU are.

drdisque

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 pm

There's a ton of corporate CPG-based traffic on CVG-CHI from the CVG originating end (Kroger and P&G). Cutting CVG-ORD would put those two contracts in a bad spot for DL, thus it stays.

yeogeo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm

stlgph wrote:

T-2's E&F gates (for UA, some two dozen gates, give or take) are all 50 seaters all the time. I can't say I've ever see 175's there ever (except for the AC 175's in the lower E's). Whether this is because these gates can't accommodate the next larger a/c, I don't know.

Hopefully Satellite 2 will be more flexible.

yeogeo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Fargo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

They may have to wait until their move over to T-5. I wonder how many gates Delta is expecting there. Could be a real game-changer for DL at O'Hare.

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 pm

drdisque wrote:
There's a ton of corporate CPG-based traffic on CVG-CHI from the CVG originating end (Kroger and P&G). Cutting CVG-ORD would put those two contracts in a bad spot for DL, thus it stays.

Not saying it’s the same, but isn’t that what they said about CVG-XNA as well?

Fargo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Fargo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

They may have to wait until their move over to T-5. I wonder how many gates Delta is expecting there. Could be a real game-changer for DL at O'Hare.

They aren’t going to expand to anything beyond a full spoke (i.e, all their hubs/focus cities) plus their international partners.

drdisque

Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Fargo wrote:
drdisque wrote:

Not saying it’s the same, but isn’t that what they said about CVG-XNA as well?

The difference between CVG-XNA and CVG-ORD is the presence of nonstop competition. DL is still carrying the majority of CVG-XNA CPG traffic because there is no nonstop other option. If DL were to cut CVG-ORD, that revenue would go directly to UA, AA, or WN.

yeogeo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 pm

Fargo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
Fargo wrote:

They aren’t going to expand to anything beyond a full spoke (i.e, all their hubs/focus cities) plus their international partners.

Hmmm, not so sure; would not dismiss any of the biggest business routes out of O'Hare potentially being in their sights, corporate contracts being the key.

yeogeo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

T-2's E&F gates (for UA, some two dozen gates, give or take) are all 50 seaters all the time. I can't say I've ever see 175's there ever (except for the AC 175's in the lower E's). Whether this is because these gates can't accommodate the next larger a/c, I don't know.

Funny, going thru there today I saw from a distance a UA E175 in the lower E's, so obviously it's not impossible to fit them, but they're rare there.

Planeboy17

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:19 am

yeogeo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Actually I’ve seen all the E gates with 175s on them. In fact I’ve seen AC Ejets along with UA 175s and then DL 175s at the end there.
I’ve also seen a 175 on the F side also but only 1 and I forget what gate it was.

Fargo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:30 am

yeogeo wrote:
Fargo wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Hmmm, not so sure; would not dismiss any of the biggest business routes out of O'Hare potentially being in their sights, corporate contracts being the key.

What would they do? They'd get killed by UA/AA yield wise on any p2p routes.

tlecam

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 am

DL LGA-ORD regularly uses 175s - in fact I was on one last Wednesday
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Fargo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 am

tlecam wrote:

I bet you any money the A220 will end up on this route eventually.

tlecam

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:20 am

Fargo wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Given my (very anecdotal) observations of loads, they can probably up-gauge. Flights are very full, and I travel on various days - not just Monday morning / Thursday evening. Seems like a reasonable 220 route at some point, although they'll need a lot of them to operate the route.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Fargo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:28 am

tlecam wrote:
Fargo wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Given my (very anecdotal) observations of loads, they can probably up-gauge. Flights are very full, and I travel on various days - not just Monday morning / Thursday evening. Seems like a reasonable 220 route at some point, although they'll need a lot of them to operate the route.

Don't they already run 717's on the route?

airstatdfw

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Actually I’ve seen all the E gates with 175s on them. In fact I’ve seen AC Ejets along with UA 175s and then DL 175s at the end there.
I’ve also seen a 175 on the F side also but only 1 and I forget what gate it was.

There is at least 3 or 4 E170 gates in the F alley, I have seen multiple a/c in there.

Planeboy17

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 am

Fargo wrote:
tlecam wrote:
Fargo wrote:

Yes, 2 are scheduled to tomorrow.

nomorerjs

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:33 am

Fargo wrote:
tlecam wrote:
Fargo wrote:

The summer schedule shows all on 717s on the shuttle. ORD is all mainline to ATL, LGA, MSP, SEA, and SLC. DTW is a mix, JFK is all CR9, CVG is all CRJ, BOS & RDU are all E175. Not a bad spoke!

Just missing LAX and the “AUS” rumors.

hoya

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:29 am

Fargo wrote:
kordcj wrote:
Fargo wrote:

NH flying to HND
NZ to AKL

Does anyone have the number of departures in United's peak schedule for 2017, 2018, and 2019? United has publicly stated that their focus is on growing the mid-continent hubs, and that 4-6% growth plan they've announced surely includes ORD. As for why so many 50 seaters - it's because ORD is a hub for two airlines. AA and UA are fighting for the same traffic.

As for 787s - do they fit in the 767 gates? UA is so gate constrained, LH was forced to fly out of T5 for their 2nd MUC flight. 787 wingspan is larger than the 767, so I'm guessing all those gates used by the 767s are unable to fit the 787s. So then a 787 would displace a 777. As we see 777s getting retired, then we'll probably see 787s in ORD.

Re #4, AA's only year-round European service is LHR. They also barely fly to Asia from ORD. That makes UA's international network much more impressive. Then add in all the LH group flights too.
Hoya Saxa!!

yeogeo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:05 am

LAXintl reports application by Hainan for ORD-CTU (Chengdu) twice weekly:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1410473

...and a big announcement for UA tomorrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1410471
I suggest it'll include ORD-TLV. Any other ideas?
Could be a good couple of days for O'Hare. :crossfingers:

chicawgo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:15 am

nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:
tlecam wrote:

The summer schedule shows all on 717s on the shuttle. ORD is all mainline to ATL, LGA, MSP, SEA, and SLC. DTW is a mix, JFK is all CR9, CVG is all CRJ, BOS & RDU are all E175. Not a bad spoke!

This summer, DL had 717s on almost all LGA flights. They also fly e175s often on JFK and even the occasional 717. Not just cr9s.

chicawgo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 am

Just saw that CDA posted October. It’s pretty fantastic!

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Business/FactAndFigures/AirTraffic/1018%20ORD%20SUMMARY.pdf

A few highlights:

- ORD has officially surpassed ATL as the busiest airport in the world by movements. It’s about 755K to 750k through Oct.

- pax traffic increases holding at almost 5% YoY growth for the year

-Ridiculous Oct intl increases: +13% YoY intl movements, +17% YoY intl pax traffic

My one concern is the storm on Sunday after thanksgiving that snarled flights for 2 days. That will hurt Nov numbers but hopefully won’t affect 2018 increases too much.

yeogeo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:42 pm

chicawgo wrote:
Just saw that CDA posted October. It’s pretty fantastic!

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Business/FactAndFigures/AirTraffic/1018%20ORD%20SUMMARY.pdf

- ORD has officially surpassed ATL as the busiest airport in the world by movements. It’s about 755K to 750k through Oct.

Very close! Final tally will depend on weather irregularities at either ATL and/or ORD, such as snow in Chicago or ice in Atlanta. If its uneventful I can't see Atlanta catching up, but as you say, ORD's November's mess around Thanksgiving is concerning.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:21 pm

chicawgo wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
Fargo wrote:

This summer, DL had 717s on almost all LGA flights. They also fly e175s often on JFK and even the occasional 717. Not just cr9s.

Just checked the summer schedules on Delta on Wednesday June 12. There’s currently 5 flights to JFK with 3CRJ 9s and 2 175s. Kind of surprised it’s not 6, they usually run 6 starting in May.
SEA sees an up gauge. 3 flights still but all 737-800s. First started with 3 319s, then last summer was 1 37 thrown in and now all 3 flights will be 37s.
SLC will be all mainline. I can’t remember if it was that way last summer, I don’t think it was but not sure. If so, it’ll be the first time in a very long time it is all mainline. 4 flights, 3 319s and 1 320.
MSP is a mix of 717 and Airbuses but gains an additional flight for 8 a day. They finally restore the late departure to MSP at 9:30 pm.
DTW is all mainline with mostly 717 and stays at 7 a day.
LGA is indeed all mainline with 717 with 15 a day!
ATL is all Douglas MD90,88 and 717 with 12 a day.
RDU is 3 175s
And last and least is CVG with just 4 flights all on CRJ 200s.
Can’t see CVG lasting once BOS comes on line in September. Even if they have corporate contracts, UA and AA are using more comfortable aircraft with better schedules and DL isn’t fighting back, they used to run all 900s on CVG just a few years ago. Plus they’re going to need some space, if not in September than for next summer.
Still very positive news regarding DL at ORD.

emcm541

Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm

In case anyone was wondering, UA's big route announcement was for SFO, not ORD...

Atlwarrior

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Well, what changed in the Chicago market? O’hare will take the busiest traffic movement title back from ATL this year, and 2019 looks even stronger. What’s behind all the new flights?

yeogeo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:54 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Well, what changed in the Chicago market? O’hare will take the busiest traffic movement title back from ATL this year, and 2019 looks even stronger. What’s behind all the new flights?

New runways, new cargo facilities, a few more gates, many more International flights and every domestic carrier increasing domestic flights - did I miss anything?

wn676

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:01 pm

For anyone around O’Hare in the next hour or so, United has a 787-10 inbound from PAE that should be parking at T1. Heard the City may bring out the water cannons.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

_AA_777_MAN

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

wn676 wrote:
For anyone around O’Hare in the next hour or so, United has a 787-10 inbound from PAE that should be parking at T1. Heard the City may bring out the water cannons.

Yes it is!
UA2685 PAE-ORD 787-10 N14001

_AA_777_MAN

Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 pm

wn676 wrote:

Yes it is!
UA2685 PAE-ORD 787-10 N14001

Fargo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:53 pm

yeogeo wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

New runways, new cargo facilities, a few more gates, many more International flights and every domestic carrier increasing domestic flights - did I miss anything?

And the new lease agreement that forces airlines to utilize their gates or lose them. That is going to help a lot with growth, since airlines will need to add in order to keep their gates.

Fargo

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Well, nothing from UA for ORD today, though I'm not actually too disappointed since it was a SFO-centric announcement anyway. I think United787 made a good point that UA may be waiting for the new Global Terminal and the associated new gates to add more international routes to ORD. Once that opens, there will be no excuse for them not to.

In fact, once Satellite 1 opens, it will have widebody-capable gates that can handle 787s/77W's/A380's. I believe Satellite 1 will open sometime in the 2021-2023 timeframe, so sometime in those years, UA will finally have gates than can properly handle the aforementioned aircraft. Perhaps then we will see 787's/77W's?

Anyway, here's to hoping for ORD-BNE on QF soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos