United787

Re: Chicago Aviation News - 2018

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:49 pm

yeogeo wrote:
In a follow-up to the alderman/city officials visiting the Musk Hawthorne tunnel (see post 1366), prototype to the O'Hare Express, two articles:

From the Sun-Times the official guests were mildly impressed.
Deputy Mayor Rivkin, one of the riders: "You just get a sense of the simplicity of the whole thing... It’s a tunnel with a Tesla in it... This sort of notion that this is some kind of crazy, untried technology is just misinformed.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/elon- ... e-express/

The Chicago Business Journal, wasn't as positive, reporting that the media got a look, and "many" were unimpressed.
"It felt like an amusement park ride."
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=85640571

Thank you for sharing. I find it odd that there is no emergency walkway in the tunnel. When you ride the CTA or any other mass transit in a tunnel, there is always a walkway on one side that leads to emergency exits at regular intervals.

I was initially excited and positive about this project but I am starting to feel a little more like we are being sold this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

yeogeo

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:14 pm

United787 wrote:
I was initially excited and positive about this project but I am starting to feel a little more like we are being sold this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Ha! You can always count on The Simpson's for entertaining social commentary.
Musk has always struck me as half snake oil purveyor and half Einstein. We'll see which Musk we have on this project but I wouldn't bet on it not working out... yet.

They mention that troubling lack of egress you mention here:

https://slate.com/business/2018/12/elon ... t-all.html
...and are seriously skeptical, with a glimmer of admiration: "Musk has made a substantial advance in tunnel technology" due to the "measly" amount of money he spent on the project. That bodes well for the O'Hare project at least.

United787

Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:35 pm

yeogeo wrote:
https://slate.com/business/2018/12/elon-musks-los-angeles-tunnel-has-so-little-promise-its-a-miracle-he-built-it-at-all.html
...and are seriously skeptical, with a glimmer of admiration: "Musk has made a substantial advance in tunnel technology" due to the "measly" amount of money he spent on the project. That bodes well for the O'Hare project at least.

Hilarious article... even more funny is the link to the article about Lyft inventing the bus.

I want to believe in this project but I don't trust his numbers... Plus, if his whole concept is based on the efficiency of boring a smaller tunnel, but the tunnel size hasn't accounted for emergency egress.

Also, it is shocking that he would unveil this whole thing even though it is incomplete. Driving a Tesla through the tunnel, are you kidding me? He said he ran out of time... well postpone the unveiling then.

ghYHZ

Re: United Adds 7 new Chicago Routes

Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Planeboy17 wrote:
UA served YHZ for a few years and I believe it was year round even.

Yes…they flew ORD-YHZ daily year round for a couple of years. For a time it operated in conjunction with the EWR route. The aircraft would arrive YHZ from EWR then continue onto ORD…but I don’t believe any through ticketing or passengers were permitted.

United has served Halifax since the mid ’90 from EWR…..originally as Continental.

And about 10 years ago…American Eagle also had a summer weekend ORD-YHZ flight.

yeogeo

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 pm

First photograph of a 787-10 at O'Hare. Congrats Matt!

...still waiting for the first NZ 787 shot.

Meanwhile here's a 773 from several years ago with the NZ All Blacks onboard:
:drool:

TWA1985

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 am

It looks like American’s mainline upgauging at ORD to smaller markets is increasing.

Doing a radom search on April 5th:

IND increasss to 3 mainline flights using the 738.

CMH increases to 2 mainline flights using the 738.

SYR now has 1 mainline flight using the 738. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s been while since any upstate NY cities have seen mainline from ORD on AA.

Also, it’s interesting to note that DFW will have 4 787 departures a day from ORD, with 3 787-8 and 1 787-9.
Be Young. Be Wild. Be Free.

yeogeo

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:40 am

TWA1985 wrote:
It looks like American’s mainline upgauging at ORD to smaller markets is increasing. ...it’s interesting to note that DFW will have 4 787 departures a day from ORD, with 3 787-8 and 1 787-9.

>do you know offhand how many routes with 787's AA has at O'Hare? I'm sure its a pretty impressive number - its hard to travel through O'Hare w/o seeing one or two taxiing by.

TWA1985

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:57 am

yeogeo wrote:
TWA1985 wrote:
It looks like American’s mainline upgauging at ORD to smaller markets is increasing. ...it’s interesting to note that DFW will have 4 787 departures a day from ORD, with 3 787-8 and 1 787-9.

>do you know offhand how many routes with 787's AA has at O'Hare? I'm sure its a pretty impressive number - its hard to travel through O'Hare w/o seeing one or two taxiing by.

I don’t have an exact number, but I do know this much. AA has their 787s based at ORD and uses them on 100% of their international flying from Chicago (excluding Canada and Mexico), so you’ll always see a steady stream of them. Even now, with all the seasonal international flying on break, ORD sees 787s to DFW, PHX, HNL, SFO, LHR, NRT and CUN.

During the summer you’ll see them going to a host of European destinations as well such as FCO, ATH, CDG, etc.

nomorerjs

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:25 am

TWA1985 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
TWA1985 wrote:

I don’t have an exact number, but I do know this much. AA has their 787s based at ORD and uses them on 100% of their international flying from Chicago (excluding Canada and Mexico), so you’ll always see a steady stream of them. Even now, with all the seasonal international flying on break, ORD sees 787s to DFW, PHX, HNL, SFO, LHR, NRT and CUN.

During the summer you’ll see them going to a host of European destinations as well such as FCO, ATH, CDG, etc.

Plus CDG which operates close to year round, except during the holidays and a couple of weeks in Jan / Feb.

Summer seasonal to ATH, BCN, DUB, FCO, and VCE.

Rumbling that ORD-BCN may go longer and upguaged to a 789 for S20, we shall see. I’ve also heard of DFW-BCN, but DFW-MAD was given a 2nd summer seasonal.

IB did do 2x ORD-MAD in summer, but that stopped when AA added ORD-BCN which has been stated by AA VPs as successful.

Now if we could just get OSL (probably SK), TLV (probably LY), or PRG (possibly AA in S20), than ORD is in great shape!

United787

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:44 pm

Are AA's widebody gates at ORD able to accommodate the larger wingspan of the 787 more so than UA's? I understand that UA's widebody gates can't go from a 767 to a 787 without affecting neighboring gates which is the primary reason we don't see UA bringing the 787 to ORD yet. But it seems AA's configuration must be better suited for this upgauge allowing to AA to base it's 787 fleet at ORD. Or does the 5 new gates allow AA some slack in its gates so affecting neighboring gates for some flights doesn't matter as much?

drdisque

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:50 pm

All of AA's widebody gates at ORD can accept the 777 and 787 since those are the only widebodies it routinely sees (they actually closed K7 to make this happen).

Current widebody gates at ORD are H15, K9, K12, K13, K15, K16, and K19. L10 used to be a widebody gate but was converted into 3 E-175 gates.

It's easier for AA to use their space for widebody gates because they have more "ends and rotundas". The main issue with UA in T1 is that all of their widebody gates except B16 and B17 are on flat sections of terminal, additionally their 767-only widebody gates are located on the inside of an alley and length is an issue there too. All of their rotundas except the are configured for narrowbody/RJ gates.

wn676

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:04 pm

drdisque wrote:
All of AA's widebody gates at ORD can accept the 777 and 787 since those are the only widebodies it routinely sees (they actually closed K7 to make this happen).

Current widebody gates at ORD are H15, K9, K12, K13, K15, K16, and K19. L10 used to be a widebody gate but was converted into 3 E-175 gates.

It's easier for AA to use their space for widebody gates because they have more "ends and rotundas". The main issue with UA in T1 is that all of their widebody gates except B16 and B17 are on flat sections of terminal, additionally their 767-only widebody gates are located on the inside of an alley and length is an issue there too. All of their rotundas except the are configured for narrowbody/RJ gates.

To add, UA also struggles with airfield/taxilane constraints around T1. The alleyway between B and C can only handle parallel ADG-IV operations, and anything larger than a 767 would effectively reduce it to a single taxilane. This isn’t exactly a show-stopper but it does introduce new constraints to an already very busy operation. There are also issues with depth of stand, and of course pushing the service roads out any further compounds the taxilane issue.

On the even side of C, the FAA does not allow pushbacks over the non-movement line (some gates at T2 and T3 are grandfathered in). This prevents a good portion of that terminal from accepting larger aircraft since they need space to pushback and disconnect without ever encroaching on the taxiway.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

TheKennady2

Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:36 am

drdisque wrote:

I remember L8 also could handle a 777 type aircraft and was converted along with L-10 to regional gates which suprised me because i thought with the 787s taking over most INTL routes for AA they would need more WB gates. But even with the stinger gates opening AA still needed more regional gates i guess.

Planeboy17

Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:29 pm

wn676 wrote:
drdisque wrote:

To add, UA also struggles with airfield/taxilane constraints around T1. The alleyway between B and C can only handle parallel ADG-IV operations, and anything larger than a 767 would effectively reduce it to a single taxilane. This isn’t exactly a show-stopper but it does introduce new constraints to an already very busy operation. There are also issues with depth of stand, and of course pushing the service roads out any further compounds the taxilane issue.

On the even side of C, the FAA does not allow pushbacks over the non-movement line (some gates at T2 and T3 are grandfathered in). This prevents a good portion of that terminal from accepting larger aircraft since they need space to pushback and disconnect without ever encroaching on the taxiway.

Thank you for this great information.
I think this post along with others about the constraints of T1 for UA answers most if not all the questions about why ORD doesn’t get anything other than 76 and 77 aircraft. At least it does for me.
Now there are certain gates that can handle larger aircraft such as B17 since LH parks 748 and 346 aircraft there and UA used to have 744s at C18 and C16 and C20? I think those are probably the only gates that can handle any aircraft larger than a 763. So UA in theory could put some 78s here but with only 3 or 4 gates available they may not think its worth changing out the pilot and fa bases. I think it’s probably true that UA plans on keeping the status quo until the new terminal is built.

piedmontf284000

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:06 pm

jcwr56 wrote:

It's nice to know you believe UA and AA are going to breach the agreement with the City by just ignoring what they agreed too. Got it...

Air Italy got access at good times, same with TAP....So there's capacity it seems.

I don't think they are going to breach the agreement by any means, and why would they have to? The agreement is in their favor to begin with. Per the New AULA, Section 5.1.1:

Under the new agreement, gates will be assigned for PREFERENTIAL use by a PARTICULAR LONG-TERM SIGNATORY AIRLINE or retained by the City for common use.

This article is clearly in favor of UA and AA and allows them to keep their current gate facilities within their current working Terminals - T1 and T3. The city is going to give them preferential treatment to continue to operate business as unusual at ORD.

What the agreement does allow the city to do per Article 5.5-5.8 of the New AULA:

If an airline needs access to a gate to accommodate a flight and cannot accommodate that flight in it owns preferential gate, then that airline can go directly to the city and request accommodation.

This means that UA or AA cannot say no to an airline if they need immediate access to gate on Concourse B,C H, or K for an inbound flight which that said airline cannot accommodate because all of their preferential gates are currently being used. In the past AA and UA could and that created gridlock around the airport for airlines like DL or NK who had planes waiting to unload passengers and took lengthy delays. Now, those same airlines can park wherever there is an open gate. This article was created more so for redevelopment of T2 into a new Global Terminal and Concourse...for once T2 is demolished there will be significantly less gates throughout the airport and EVERY airline is going to need to share their gates in order for the airport to continue to function as normal as possible.

Finally, and this is where it really shows that UA and AA are the big kids on the block, is Article 5.3 of the New AULA which states:

The agreement provide the City the right to reallocate gate rights on an annual basis starting in 2021...Any gates that have not been designated as common use will them be assigned to LONG-TERM SIGNATORY AIRLINES based on their relative utilization, which is based on each airlines number of scheduled departures from the Airport.

Gee, I wonder who has the most departures at ORD on a daily basis? So there is no need for UA or AA to breach the agreement. It's basically written in their favor anyway.

midway7

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:45 pm

A couple people on Facebook are posting that AA is going to start using G gates for mainline again? Story is they tried a new gate in L, but it did not work out. So G8 is the first gate I am told is going this way.

Can anyone confirm?

Planeboy17

Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:19 pm

midway7 wrote:
A couple people on Facebook are posting that AA is going to start using G gates for mainline again? Story is they tried a new gate in L, but it did not work out. So G8 is the first gate I am told is going this way.

Can anyone confirm?

I don’t know about AA but I’ve been told that sometime early next year B6 is supposed to move over to G.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Galvan316 wrote:
Does anyone know how well Ethiopian and Air New Zealand are doing on their ORD routes?

Also, what became of the rumors of Philippines Airlines flying to ORD?

Would be curious to know as well. Purely anecdotal from my recent experience coming back from GRU one early morning last week - the arrivals hall was slammed! I mean the worst I had ever seen outside of the summer. The wait through passport control was over an hour for me at 0700 hour on 12/19.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

The Haneda, Narita, Delhi, and GRU flights (was almost 2 hours late) all came in within an hour or so of each other. I noticed many African passengers, which I am assuming came off the ET flight, subjective yes, just passing along my observation. I hope it's doing well,

dopplerd wrote:
Earlier today an Emirates Cargo 777 flew non stop from Sydney to ORD!
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 5#1eeac6f0
It landed about 15 minutes after the ANZ flight from Auckland. Not to long ago I would never have thought to see flights from either of these cities to O'Hare let alone almost back to back!

This is kind of a big deal, I think... surprised I couldn't find a published article on it?

77H

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 am

ORDfan wrote:
Galvan316 wrote:
Does anyone know how well Ethiopian and Air New Zealand are doing on their ORD routes?

Also, what became of the rumors of Philippines Airlines flying to ORD?

Would be curious to know as well. Purely anecdotal from my recent experience coming back from GRU one early morning last week - the arrivals hall was slammed! I mean the worst I had ever seen outside of the summer. The wait through passport control was over an hour for me at 0700 hour on 12/19.

https://awt.cbp.gov/

The Haneda, Narita, Delhi, and GRU flights (was almost 2 hours late) all came in within an hour or so of each other. I noticed many African passengers, which I am assuming came off the ET flight, subjective yes, just passing along my observation. I hope it's doing well,

dopplerd wrote:
Earlier today an Emirates Cargo 777 flew non stop from Sydney to ORD!
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flig ... 5#1eeac6f0
It landed about 15 minutes after the ANZ flight from Auckland. Not to long ago I would never have thought to see flights from either of these cities to O'Hare let alone almost back to back!

This is kind of a big deal, I think... surprised I couldn't find a published article on it?

I arrived off UA882 from NRT on the 22nd. Took well over an hour to clear with a US Passport. There were 4 agents working Global Entry, 1 working green card/visa holders and 1 agent for everyone else. Some were saying it was the result of the government shut down. I call it pathetic. Having just arrived from Japan and seeing the efficiency of the Immigration and Customs program it was a stark contrast.

77H

Amwest2United

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:21 pm

TWA1985 wrote:
It looks like American’s mainline upgauging at ORD to smaller markets is increasing.

SYR now has 1 mainline flight using the 738. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s been while since any upstate NY cities have seen mainline from ORD on AA.

Also, it’s interesting to note that DFW will have 4 787 departures a day from ORD, with 3 787-8 and 1 787-9.

Actually showing 5 787's, 4 787-8 and 1 787-9 (789=1855L, 788= 0705L,1050L, 1505L, 1655L)
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:12 am

Amwest2United wrote:
TWA1985 wrote:

Where are you seeing that? I just pulled a date in June as well as July and see 3 789s and 1 788.

Actually showing 5 787's, 4 787-8 and 1 787-9 (789=1855L, 788= 0705L,1050L, 1505L, 1655L)

zippyjet

Re: Chicago Aviation News

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:18 am

nmdrdh787 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
November data posted on ATD. Synopsis: ORD back in the black on YTD domestic passenger growth, and international growth continues to shine.

MDW losing some ground on domestic Y-O-Y, which is weighing on yearly totals, despite also good international growth. Anyone have any theories on what's slowing MDW down? I'll be honest: I've been so disappointed with Southwest on-time issues/delays, I've virtually stopped using them unless I'm burning Rewards points for personal travel.... once I'm out of RR, will have to think long and hard about giving any $$$ to LUV.

Links below:

http://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollectio ... UMMARY.pdf

http://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollectio ... UMMARY.pdf

Mods- I'm having a hard time adding images. Is this thread approved for non-URL pics? Do I need to get my profile approved for pics?

Capacity changes. MDW is pretty maxed though.

If I was WN I would look at shuttling connecting pax through STL or MKE now.

When I last went through MDW (Last September) there were signs regarding modernization and I believe expansion plans. If I'm wrong on the expansion program at MDW please let me know. One great thing re: MDW, Giordano's (Chicago Pizza) is a hotel shuttle bus ride away and they deliver if you wait outside of baggage claim. Can you do that at ORD?
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

jetblastdubai

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:46 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
Now there are certain gates that can handle larger aircraft such as B17 since LH parks 748 and 346 aircraft there and UA used to have 744s at C18 and C16 and C20? I think those are probably the only gates that can handle any aircraft larger than a 763. So UA in theory could put some 78s here but with only 3 or 4 gates available they may not think its worth changing out the pilot and fa bases.

C29 can accommodate a 777 but it blocks both adjacent gates if I recall from my ORD ATC days. C10 as well I'm almost certain. Both B16 and B17 can handle large widebodies at the same time. That should make C10, C16, C18, C20, C29, B16 and B17 the 777/787 gates. Someone will correct me if this is no longer accurate information.

TWA1985

Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:33 am

Planeboy17 wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:
TWA1985 wrote:

Where are you seeing that? I just pulled a date in June as well as July and see 3 789s and 1 788.

I pulled my info from April, it obviously changes month to month.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:01 am

TWA1985 wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
Amwest2United wrote:

I pulled my info from April, it obviously changes month to month.

Sorry about that TWA1985, I was referring to Amwest2United’s claim of AA going 5 daily to LHR.
Which I still can’t find, at least not on AA.com.

Planeboy17

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:04 am

Doh, never mind, now I see it’s DFW and not LHR. Sorry about that everyone.

midway7

Re: Chicago Aviation News

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:11 pm

When I last went through MDW (Last September) there were signs regarding modernization and I believe expansion plans. If I'm wrong on the expansion program at MDW please let me know. One great thing re: MDW, Giordano's (Chicago Pizza) is a hotel shuttle bus ride away and they deliver if you wait outside of baggage claim. Can you do that at ORD?[/quote]

Which hotel shuttle should one take to Giordano's? My boss will walk down Cicero to it, but I would like to tell him this....

Midway 7

DC8FanJet

Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:50 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
Planeboy17 wrote:
Now there are certain gates that can handle larger aircraft such as B17 since LH parks 748 and 346 aircraft there and UA used to have 744s at C18 and C16 and C20? I think those are probably the only gates that can handle any aircraft larger than a 763. So UA in theory could put some 78s here but with only 3 or 4 gates available they may not think its worth changing out the pilot and fa bases.

C29 can accommodate a 777 but it blocks both adjacent gates if I recall from my ORD ATC days. C10 as well I'm almost certain. Both B16 and B17 can handle large widebodies at the same time. That should make C10, C16, C18, C20, C29, B16 and B17 the 777/787 gates. Someone will correct me if this is no longer accurate information.

C29 blocks only C31, C10,16,18,20, B16,17 are unrestricted for 772 & 787. 77W in C10,29,B16,17

kordcj

Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Anyone notice in Enilria’s update that Asiana is cutting daily service to ORD in August? I was under the impression that it was never daily. When did that happen?
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

TheKennady2

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 pm

kordcj wrote:
Anyone notice in Enilria’s update that Asiana is cutting daily service to ORD in August? I was under the impression that it was never daily. When did that happen?

Since summer it was daily, was 5x weekly before, dont know about S19, maybe UA will start ORD-ICN to compensate

FromGSPtoChi

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 pm

They have made it official.

The “people mover” light rail system, which shuttles passengers around O’Hare International Airport, will shut down completely next week and not reopen until the fall of 2019, airport officials said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 am

Please continue in next year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411825

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos