ORDfan
Topic Author

Re: Chicago Aviation News - 2018

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:12 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
And Mr. Parker still has a job why?

Lol no clue: AAL investors have been asking this question for a long time.

sagechan wrote:
ORDfan wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:
So to be sure I understand the majority here flying routes that never made money is genius, bold and aggressive airline management and to stop flying routes that never made money and replacing them with ones likely to make money is a disaster and a retreat?
Do I have the correct understanding?

So if I'm AA management, instead of retreating and deferring to my main competitor at ORD, I would be trying like hell to figure out how UA is making money on routes where AA cannot make money. I think that is the point.

In case you were wondering: UAL is at all-time highs... yes you read that right, meanwhile AAL is flirting with 2 year lows. If you want to talk about profits and airline management: let's put that in perspective and assign credit (and blame) where they are due. You can't tell me AA is doing it right, while they are worst performing publicly-traded airline over its lifetime.

Every other major publicly traded airline in the US (LUV, UAL, DAL) has beaten AAL returns since 2006: UAL (up 148%), LUV (up 269%), DAL (up 184%), AAL (up 30%). It's certainly not bold and aggressive to be the perennial industry laggard.

I think whatever their ORD and p2p "strategy" for smaller hubs like PHX, CLT, and PHX has clearly not been working, and its certainly failed the test for profits and revenue growth, as indicted below. I am betting on more of the same for them.

While I personally believe Parker fails when it comes to trying to focus on creating a true world class product, by under investing in standardization, upping soft product quality, and failing to get labor relations improved. I also find this post to be very disingenuous by using a 2006 baseline. AA was the only major airline to (stupidly) not go through CH11 reorganization post 9/11 and the AA/US merger was years later than DL/NW & UA/CO. Looking at returns straight up over that period is not a valid comparison. Recent results are mostly comparable, though one would expect there is still some gains to be made from final implementation of merger issues in the near future, and post 2020 fleet reliability improvements as some unreliable fleets exit.

In the past 2 years, UAL is up 65.4%, S&P 500 index is up 31.2%, and AAL is up 7.2%. The 12 month and YTD performance puts in the negative (YTD down a whopping 26%). It's been a dud. Their strategy for growth (and profits) has been a failure, and you are seeing that reflected in their route and Hub-planning, which has of course been the driver for their revenues/profits.

Their ORD presence (and other dubious route structures) are a living testament to their failures and incompetence, and AAL company shareholders agree (that's why they've been selling their shares all year long), while the rest of the industry is thriving.

yeogeo

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:33 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:
It's been a rough week for ORD.

I would say more accurately it's been a rough week for Oneworld at O'Hare (referring more to AA's reductions than to BA's A380 schedule).

yeogeo

Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:39 pm

piedmontf284000 wrote:

If anything it's been a rough week for Oneworld at O'Hare.
(I'm referring more to AA's reductions than to BA's A380 schedule; it wouldn't surprise me if BA had planned the biggest bird to run seasonally anyway, and we'll see, as I said, whether next summer's schedule as it is now sticks).

jcwr56

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm

yeogeo wrote:
email today from the CDA... another piece of the puzzle

What's a triturator building exactly? A place for grinding?

It's a building for servicing lavatory trucks.

jcwr56

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:07 pm

yeogeo wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

(I'm referring more to AA's reductions than to BA's A380 schedule; it wouldn't surprise me if BA had planned the biggest bird to run seasonally anyway, and we'll see, as I said, whether next summer's schedule as it is now sticks).

BA's plan was always to run it seasonally.

yeogeo

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
What's a triturator building exactly?

Interesting. Thanks!

jplatts

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:53 pm

There are 10 smaller regional destinations in the Midwest that have nonstop service to ORD on American Eagle but no nonstop service to any of AA's other hubs, and these 10 destinations are ATW, DBQ, FNT, GRB, AZO, LSE, MQT, CWA, RST, and ALO. ORD is also the only AA hub that has year-round nonstop service to TVC on AA, but AA does have seasonal nonstop service to TVC from DFW and LGA.

AA really does need the ORD hub, not only for Chicago-area O&D, but also for connections to destinations further east from destinations west of the Mississippi and for connections from smaller Midwestern markets that don't have nonstop service to any of the other AA hubs.

chicawgo

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:50 pm

yeogeo wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:

They don't always load it indefinitely. My guess is it's back for summer, 2019.

CHI787ORD

Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Too early to know about the A380. BA has a limited number of them, they probably haven't decided yet fully on where to allocate all of them

ORDfan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:14 pm

ual763 wrote:
That’s just a dummy wall. Behind it, is the center of the concourse. Terminal windows are to the left and right and behind the cameraman.

Right on: found another pic today on the O'hare FB page. So okay, I see what they did now...the Wicker Park restaurant and Starbucks back up next to each other. The other side of the wall is the Starbucks.

Looks like they did a good job incorporating this into the middle of the concourse without incurring into the gate-side seating area too much, while keeping window sight-lines intact for restaurant/cafe goers. Sort of like that bar by B1-B4. Overall, I like it... I'm onboard now, haha :bigthumbsup:

qf789

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:06 am

Providing the AA/QF joint venture is approved, the next Australia-US service will be to ORD

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-plans-n ... ource=hero
Forum Moderator

ADrum23

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:16 pm

qf789 wrote:
Providing the AA/QF joint venture is approved, the next Australia-US service will be to ORD

Since SYD is out of range for the 789, would it be BNE or MEL that QF would launch initially?

EWRandMDW

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:23 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Since SYD is out of range for the 789, would it be BNE or MEL that QF would launch initially?

MEL is south of SYD, so I'd have to say BNE.

ADrum23

Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:45 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

MEL is south of SYD, so I'd have to say BNE.

Lol, stupid me. Yes, it will have to be BNE, until QF gets ULR aircraft.

yeogeo

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:37 pm

Always enjoy seeing new photographs of ORD from the air.

In this one from the 4th of August we can see that the destruction of runway 15/33 is underway, 9C/27C progressing, and the de-icing pad project on the west side of the field moving along with associated North/South taxiways between 9R/27L & 10L/28R.

Compare with O'Hare21 rendering:

https://www.flychicago.com/sites/ohare2 ... verall.jpg

sircygnus

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that picture! I had a feeling that taxiway Z was not being used anymore for 27R arrivals and this picture confirms it. That is a lot of rubber turning back east onto taxiway C! Wonder if this temporary arrangement affects taxi times significantly.

yeogeo

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:04 pm

sircygnus wrote:
Thanks for sharing that picture! I had a feeling that taxiway Z was not being used anymore for 27R arrivals and this picture confirms it.

The newest FAA diagram also confirms Z's closure while 15/33 is being removed.
http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1809/00166 ... ddest=(ORD)

sircygnus wrote:
That is a lot of rubber turning back east onto taxiway C! Wonder if this temporary arrangement affects taxi times significantly.

I suspect it does somewhat, but even with Z functional its a long trek -perhaps not as long as a 27R or a 10R arrival, but these three are definately the Polderbaans of O'Hare!

yeogeo

Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:21 pm

jplatts wrote:
There are 10 smaller regional destinations in the Midwest that have nonstop service to ORD on American Eagle but no nonstop service to any of AA's other hubs, and these 10 destinations are ATW, DBQ, FNT, GRB, AZO, LSE, MQT, CWA, RST, and ALO. ORD is also the only AA hub that has year-round nonstop service to TVC on AA, but AA does have seasonal nonstop service to TVC from DFW and LGA.

Interesting list, jplatts. Are there no mainline or international routes unique to O'Hare on American? I would have thought a Canadian city or two at least - maybe not...Do you know?

ADrum23

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:11 am

Nice picture above, it's cool to see the final runway projects taking shape. Now onto the Terminals!

Any updates on the O'Hare 21 project? Also, has anyone seen any noticeable work (i.e, replacing tracks) being done on the ATS?

jplatts

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:50 am

yeogeo wrote:
Interesting list, jplatts. Are there no mainline or international routes unique to O'Hare on American? I would have thought a Canadian city or two at least - maybe not...Do you know?

All of the destinations outside of the Midwest that AA currently serves nonstop from ORD also have nonstop service to another AA hub airport on AA.

AA used to serve YKF in Canada nonstop from only ORD, but AA pulled out of YKF on October 5, 2016.

wn676

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:09 am

yeogeo wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
What's a triturator building exactly?

Interesting. Thanks!

Specifically, it’s where the trucks dump their tanks. There’s a grinder processes the waste before it’s sent to the local sanitary sewer system.

They are truly awful places.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:27 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
BA's plan was always to run it seasonally.

I kind of also suspected that... hope to see it back again next summer!

yeogeo wrote:

In this one from the 4th of August we can see that the destruction of runway 15/33 is underway, 9C/27C progressing, and the de-icing pad project on the west side of the field moving along with associated North/South taxiways between 9R/27L & 10L/28R.

Love me some ORD airfield pics! Thanks for pointing that one out. But I am shocked how dry the grass looks across the airfield?!? I know July was a little dry, but geez, when I first saw this photo I thought it was taken in March, honestly.

Just compare it to how green the grass was last year:

wn676 wrote:
Specifically, it’s where the trucks dump their tanks. There’s a grinder processes the waste before it’s sent to the local sanitary sewer system.

Honestly, never knew that the building where that happens has a specific name. I don't even like thinking about that part of the plane turnaround and airport ops. I know its a reality, but an unpleasant one.

ckfred

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm amused every time that I read that one of AA's unions are mad at Doug Parker. Remember that Parker courted the unions heavily, in order to bolster US's bid to buy AA out of Chapter 11. But, Parker got his start at AA, when Bob Crandall was CEO. So, my guess is that Parker must be following the Crandall playbook on labor relations.

Another curious thing is that Parker bashed Horton and his predecessors, going back to Don Carty, for "giving up" on ORD. Parker felt that Chicago and the Upper Midwest was too vast of a market to concede to UA and WN. Now, Parker has been increasing seats at ORD, in terms of domestic travel. A lot of markets that shifted to partially or all Eagle in the prior 15 years or so are seeing more and more mainline flying, and some markets are seeing increased frequencies.

As for the on-board product, I know from a friend of who flies for AA that many union members asked Parker if he intended to downgrade AA's on-board product to US levels. Parker's response was that US's system didn't have the volume of premium traffic, or the number of routes that can command a premium fare (F,J, and Y), when compared to AA. AA had the JFK-SFO/LAX trans-cons, as well as service to LHR from JFK, ORD, and LAX. The combined carrier could certainly maintain AA's standards.

Now, I feel that Parker has been hit-and-miss on the on-board product. On the one hand, my wife felt that AA's Y product on ORD-LHR is far superior to BA's product. That includes food, IFE, and FA attentiveness.

On the other hand, AA's domestic F product has gone down a bit. Frankly, the funky Italian cuisine isn't as good as the cuisine when Parker first took over, or when Horton and Arpey had their stints as CEO.

But, we are seeing AA retrench on TATL and Asian flying. Here's one possibility. We know that after the summer of 2000, AA picked up a lot of corporate contracts from UA, because of the meltdown caused by a very stormy summer and the UA pilots "not staging a sick-out" and management's refusal to take any sort of legal action against the APA.

Then, as AA started to drop routes and downgauge aircraft, a lot corporate contracts shifted to UA. I know that UA's relationship with its unions and its passengers has been poor at times. Some of that stems from the CO merger. My wife had to fly ORD-EWR-ORD a few years ago. The employees at ORD were friendly and helpful. The employees at EWR were just plain rude.

But, I suspect that AA has been having trouble winning new contracts for companies that would have O&D traffic at ORD or connect traffic at ORD for trips to and from Europe and Asia. Couple that with the fact that UA has more alliance and codeshare partners in Europe and China, as well as a more extensive Pacific network, and we can see why AA is having problems.

yeogeo

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:34 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
What's a triturator building exactly? A place for grinding?

wn676 wrote:

I see my earlier post has lost its email about CDA's Bid Opportunity (and the ensuing conversation re : the trituator building -- there's always something more to learn about in aviation, right?!)

Here's a somewhat reduced copy of the email - for those who are interested - an early glimpse of the T-5 expansion progress:

"Terminal 5 Concourse M Extension Site/Civil Package

The City of Chicago Department of Aviation has issued a bid opportunity for the following:
Terminal 5 Concourse M Extension Site/Civil Package
Advertisement Date: Monday, August 13, 2018
Advertisement Date: 8/21/18

Description: Construction of new apron pavement and utilities, demolition of existing
taxiway connector pavement and utilities, installation of two blast fences, construction of
the new triturator building, widening of existing roadway, and construction of the
relocated Guard Post 11 building and associated queuing lanes.

Pre-Bid Conference Location:
O'Hare International Airport
Aviation Administration Building
10510 W. Zemke Road-2nd Floor
Conf. Rm. #1
Chicago, IL 60666

Date: 8/29/2018
Time: 10.00 AM, C.D.T

Site Visit to immediately follow.

Questions Due Date: 9/5/2018 at 5:00 PM, C.D.T

Bid Opening Date: 9/25/2018 at 11:00 AM C.D.T.

The bid documents are available via CD at the Bid and Bond Room, City Hall,
121 N. LaSalle Street, Room 103, Chicago, IL 60602"

TheKennady2

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:50 pm

yeogeo wrote:

https://www.flychicago.com/sites/ohare2 ... verall.jpg

I wonder where the buildings in Line of 9/27C will be replaced at, lots of demolition needed in that Area.

yeogeo

Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Frontier adding PSP & HRL makes 18th & 19th destinations for F9 from O'Hare.

"Frontier will introduce twice-weekly service between O’Hare and Harlingen [Texas] starting Nov. 21. The seasonal service will operate on a narrowbody Airbus A-320 on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Seasonal twice-weekly service between O’Hare and Palm Springs, California, begins Dec. 14. Frontier will operate that route with an Airbus A-320 on Mondays and Fridays."

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=83527491

Planeboy17

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:06 am

yeogeo wrote:
Frontier adding PSP & HRL makes 18th & 19th destinations for F9 from O'Hare.

"Frontier will introduce twice-weekly service between O’Hare and Harlingen [Texas] starting Nov. 21. The seasonal service will operate on a narrowbody Airbus A-320 on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Seasonal twice-weekly service between O’Hare and Palm Springs, California, begins Dec. 14. Frontier will operate that route with an Airbus A-320 on Mondays and Fridays."

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... j=83527491

Interesting, UA will begin Saturday only service to Brownsville in November.
I wonder if there’s more room to grow for Frontier in terms of schedules since the move to T5.
Also, I forgot to mention that it sounds like B6 will be moving to G in November. I believe AS is as well.

United787

Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:59 am

TheKennady2 wrote:
I wonder where the buildings in Line of 9/27C will be replaced at, lots of demolition needed in that Area.

Please correct me if I am wrong but here is my understanding (all references are to Google Maps updated Satellite image):

AA has one hanger in the way (no longer labeled), a new hanger is almost finished just south of AA's Hanger 1

UA has one hanger in the way (Hanger 5A), but I don't see any evidence of UA building a new hanger unless that is a new UA hanger southeast of the fuel farm. Perhaps they don't need that another hanger.

I see 5 other buildings in the way: the eastern most is the fire department; the large one is labeled the Swissport Fueling Services; not sure about the other three. Not sure where those 5 buildings are being relocated to. The only buildings being constructed are the two SE of the fuel farm. In the recent A-Net aerial, it looks like there may be a third smaller building in that area now.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:31 pm

WOW is starting 3x weekly to DEL via KEF starting in December, and goes to 5x weekly in January. Has anyone flown them before?

Wish them luck and good yields, and look forward to seeing those A330neo's at T5.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

jbs2886

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:37 pm

ORDfan wrote:
WOW is starting 3x weekly to DEL via KEF starting in December, and goes to 5x weekly in January. Has anyone flown them before?

Wish them luck and good yields, and look forward to seeing those A330neo's at T5.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the A330neos will be in ORD. It sounds rather like they are starting the connecting itineraries.

piedmontf284000

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:52 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the A330neos will be in ORD. It sounds rather like they are starting the connecting itineraries.

You are not wrong. The flight to KEF will still be serviced on an A321. Then those continuing onto DEL will layover in KEF for 6.5 hrs before continuing onto India. The whole DEL announcement is very misleading as it makes people believe it's just a tech stop in KEF before continuing onto DEL. But people still will book it because it's dirt cheap and then complain after it takes 24 hrs to get to India saying the usual "but nobody ever told me...."

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:15 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

piedmontf284000 wrote:
You are not wrong. The flight to KEF will still be serviced on an A321. Then those continuing onto DEL will layover in KEF for 6.5 hrs before continuing onto India. The whole DEL announcement is very misleading as it makes people believe it's just a tech stop in KEF before continuing onto DEL. But people still will book it because it's dirt cheap and then complain after it takes 24 hrs to get to India saying the usual "but nobody ever told me...."

Okay now I am confused. Because according to the article, "Wow will fly new Airbus A330 jets on the New Delhi route."

So are we to assume the KEF-DEL leg is for the A330 then? But if that is the case, and it's plane-change with a layover, it is not a true ORD-DEL route, IMO, and shouldn't be marketed as such.

jbs2886

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 pm

ORDfan wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

piedmontf284000 wrote:

Okay now I am confused. Because according to the article, "Wow will fly new Airbus A330 jets on the New Delhi route."

So are we to assume the KEF-DEL leg is for the A330 then? But if that is the case, and it's plane-change with a layover, it is not a true ORD-DEL route, IMO, and shouldn't be marketed as such.

My interpretation is that its really a connection. The article also references six other US cities that will have service to DEL. So, yes, its KEF-DEL that has the A330neo, while the US routes will remain A320/321 (unless the A330 is required).

piedmontf284000

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 pm

ORDfan wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

piedmontf284000 wrote:

Bingo. It's a bait and switch. Although technically one is still getting to DEL it's not exactly what a passenger would expect unless they read the fine print...or just actually look at their itinerary before completing their booking.

chidino

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:45 am

On August 27 (with the SOQs due August 28th, rescheduled from the 9th, I believe) CDA pushed back the opening "statements" from the design/build teams for O'Hare 21 to September 13th.

https://www.cityofchicago.org/content/d ... endum3.pdf

ORDfan
Topic Author

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 pm

chidino wrote:
On August 27 (with the SOQs due August 28th, rescheduled from the 9th, I believe) CDA pushed back the opening "statements" from the design/build teams for O'Hare 21 to September 13th.

The beginning of many delays, I imagine.... 2026 completion, ya right...

ORD is relocating the cellphone lot closer to the terminals, right outside parking lot B. Effective Tuesday Sep 4.

I hope this means more people will use it, but I'm not sure if this will see traffic around the terminals get worse(?). Either way, the folks that continue to park on the shoulder of the Kennedy need to be ticketed severely.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... cation.pdf

United787

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:14 am

ORDfan wrote:
chidino wrote:

The beginning of many delays, I imagine.... 2026 completion, ya right...

ORD is relocating the cellphone lot closer to the terminals, right outside parking lot B. Effective Tuesday Sep 4.

I hope this means more people will use it, but I'm not sure if this will see traffic around the terminals get worse(?). Either way, the folks that continue to park on the shoulder of the Kennedy need to be ticketed severely.

https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... cation.pdf

That is amazing! I have driven by this lot a million times and wondered why the hell isn't it the cell phone lot (and the mirrored lot adjacent to C). I have even pulled in there and waited only to get booted by a cop. It will absolutely get more use... so much so, I could see them doing the same with the other lot! I think it will actually make traffic around the terminals better because it would be easier to sit in this lot and wait for your call then driving around in circles. And then, you are only 30 seconds from the pick up...

ORDfan
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of picking up a family member from T5 around 3pm. In my 15 or so years of driving to/from ORD on an almost biweekly basis, I had never experienced the kind of traffic I did yesterday.

It took me over 2 hours to drive from NW Side (about 5 miles from the airport)...all the inbound side-streets (Irving Park Rd, Lawrence Ave, and Balmoral Ave) were impassable due to water/flooding. When I finally made it to Bessie Coleman Drive, the entrance to T5 was blocked at the viadock. I parked at Lot E and took the ATS in (thankfully).

Once in T5, there was water just receding from over the curbs, and the carpets at the entrance were soaked. There are videos of water pouring into the waiting areas in departures. It was craziness. I hope this never happens again.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/F ... 43411.html

yeogeo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:43 pm

United is adding ORD-BJX (Del Bajío International Airport, Mexico serving Leon/Guanajuato) on 28 October with a daily E-175.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20180904

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ORD-BJX,+ORD-MEX

United787

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm

yeogeo wrote:
United is adding ORD-BJX (Del Bajío International Airport, Mexico serving Leon/Guanajuato) on 28 October with a daily E-175.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20180904

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=ORD-BJX,+ORD-MEX

Interesting. The area has a big American expat/retirement community, correct?

yeogeo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:19 pm

United787 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:

Interesting. The area has a big American expat/retirement community, correct?

Exactly - BJX serves not only Leon & Guanajuato, but is also about and hour and fifteen minutes from San Miguel de Allende; all three being popular ex-pat communities. San Miguel also holds its own as a tourist draw.

ORDfan
Topic Author

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 pm

"Top architects lining up for huge O'Hare expansion job"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... tory.html#

Good read in the Trib today. I can't wait to see the proposals; I hope they are released to the public before the city makes a decision.

Personally, I'd love to see what Perkins+Will come up with... I still think T5 is one of the best international terminals I've see in the 'States (even though the main hall was butchered post 9/11 before the remodel). It's aged really gracefully and it really does convey a sense of wanderlust and globalism when walking through the concourses.

According to article, even 2nd place still wins.

ual763

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:13 pm

ORDfan wrote:

Good read in the Trib today. I can't wait to see the proposals; I hope they are released to the public before the city makes a decision.

Personally, I'd love to see what Perkins+Will come up with... I still think T5 is one of the best international terminals I've see in the 'States (even though the main hall was butchered post 9/11 before the remodel). It's aged really gracefully and it really does convey a sense of wanderlust and globalism when walking through the concourses.

According to article, even 2nd place still wins.

Wow! I think all of those are amazing architecture firms. Personally, I really like Helmut Jahn (Not to mention, he already designed the current T1.). I thought he was dead though to be honest. Glad to see he’s still trucking along.
From flying to the NOTAM office

yeogeo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm

ORDfan wrote:

Interesting article, but I found their illustration pretty sloppy.
(They show the location of Satellite 1 incorrectly, an incorrect location for the T-5 hotel and the T-5 addition as if its already been completed).

And as far as that additional hotel at the CONRAC facility, that was news to me & I wonder if this is this is still the case?
I found an article from back in June which mentions, and illustrates, a hotel there...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... lton-space

"The other [hotel] would have 150 to 200 rooms and be part of a new mixed-used commercial development on O'Hare's northeast side along Mannheim Road, north of Irving Park."

...but I haven't seen any sign of it on Google maps satellite view - perhaps its still pending or has been dropped; just curious.

Never hurts to show the CDA illustration, I suppose:

77H

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Apologies if this has been detailed before but I assume one of the satellite terminals west of C will be built prior to T2’s demolition and construction of the Global Concourse correct?

If not, what is CDA’s plan to accommodate AC, and United’s sizeable Express operation? My understanding is that DL will be relocated to T5.

77H

yeogeo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:21 pm

dup-sorry
Last edited by yeogeo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeogeo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:23 pm

77H wrote:
My understanding is that DL will be relocated to T5.
77H

:checkmark:

yeogeo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:25 pm

77H wrote:
Apologies if this has been detailed before but I assume one of the satellite terminals west of C will be built prior to T2’s demolition and construction of the Global Concourse correct?

If not, what is CDA’s plan to accommodate AC, and United’s sizeable Express operation? My understanding is that DL will be relocated to T5.
77H

Sat 1 will be one of the two parts which make up the Global Terminal, the international terminal that Oneworld and Star will share. The other part is the larger terminal to be built where T-2 is now.
Sat 2 will then presumably be where the Terminal 2 traffic is transferred to, and therefore needs to be built before T-2's demolition.
That's my understanding anyway.
Last edited by yeogeo on Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United787

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:28 pm

yeogeo wrote:
ORDfan wrote:

Interesting article, but I found their illustration pretty sloppy.
(They show the location of Satellite 1 incorrectly, an incorrect location for the T-5 hotel and the T-5 addition as if its already been completed).

And as far as that additional hotel at the CONRAC facility, that was news to me & I wonder if this is this is still the case?
I found an article from back in June which mentions, and illustrates, a hotel there...

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... lton-space

"The other [hotel] would have 150 to 200 rooms and be part of a new mixed-used commercial development on O'Hare's northeast side along Mannheim Road, north of Irving Park."

The Crain's article seems pretty sloppy also. In their illustration they circle a new building (assuming hotel) at the CONRAC facility but their description of it's location is way off. Although technically on Mannheim and north of Irving Park, the CONRAC site is 2.5 miles north of Irving Park. Would make more sense to say Mannheim and Zemke or even Mannheim just south of Higgins. Are they planning a hotel near the ends of the 10/23 runways or do they just have horrible geography?

77H wrote:

No specific information on the sequencing of the construction has been released. They still haven't hired an architect. That said, I think it is a safe assumption that Satellite's 1 and/or 2 will be built before T2 is demolished. The decommission and beginning of the demolition of runway 15/33 as shown in Post #925 would indicate the City getting that area ready.

yeogeo

Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:38 pm

United787 wrote:
The Crain's article seems pretty sloppy also. In their illustration they circle a new building (assuming hotel) at the CONRAC facility but their description of it's location is way off. Although technically on Mannheim and north of Irving Park, the CONRAC site is 2.5 miles north of Irving Park. Would make more sense to say Mannheim and Zemke or even Mannheim just south of Higgins. Are they planning a hotel near the ends of the 10/23 runways or do they just have horrible geography?

That's what I thought as well - it doesn't add up - makes me think that its very much up in the air.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos