HAL
Topic Author

Body found on HNL runway

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am

A body was found on the reef runway in HNL today. As arrivals were landing to the west, all aircraft were switched to 26R, a very usual situation.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3726 ... al-airport

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

NAX737MAX

Re: Body found on HNL runway

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:55 am

There's a difference between on and near ;)

neomax

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am

Article doesn't state much, but whether it was inside or outside of the fence makes a big difference. Stowaway? I don't know what ramp personnel would be doing on that side of the field if it is indeed the reef runway. Jet blast is powerful stuff and even a bystander outside of the fence can be blown away like a grain of sand at takeoff thrust if not paying attention.

USAirKid

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:26 am

Interesting.. Although not completely uncommon, especially with people who stowaway in the wheel well of an aircraft, they freeze at altitude, and aren't dislodged until the airplane comes in for landing.

HAL
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Although I don't have a link I can post, since I'm a pilot based in HNL I have talked to a friend who was working the flight that made the initial call to the tower. He said they saw FOD on the edge of the runway, on the asphalt, inside the painted runway edge. They didn't identify it as a body, as they were busy with their landing.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

77H

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 pm

HAL wrote:
Although I don't have a link I can post, since I'm a pilot based in HNL I have talked to a friend who was working the flight that made the initial call to the tower. He said they saw FOD on the edge of the runway, on the asphalt, inside the painted runway edge. They didn't identify it as a body, as they were busy with their landing.

HAL

If it was on the runway that would lend towards the theory of a stowaway. On Friday HNL was in Kona Winds Config late into the night so it is possible that an aircraft landing on the reef runway the day/night before had a stowaway on board that fell out during touch down or slightly before.

Unfortunately there is still very little information being provided by the news stations here which is understandable considering what else happened in Hawaii yesterday. I'm sure once an autopsy is completed, next-of-kin identified they will release more information.

I saw a few posts of widebodies landing on 26R yesterday on social media. Unfortunately I was on windward side yesterday. The pictures and videos were incredible.

77H

AVFCdownunder

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:44 am

USAirKid wrote:
Interesting.. Although not completely uncommon, especially with people who stowaway in the wheel well of an aircraft, they freeze at altitude, and aren't dislodged until the airplane comes in for landing.

Not uncommon in general or at HNL in particular? I am curious about the likely source of a possible stowaway? Is this likely to be an economic migrant such as you see trying to get from central Africa to LHR from time to time, or just someone trying to hitch a free ride from one of the islands. Does HNL have many flights from areas where someone may choose to stowaway?

HAL
Topic Author

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 am

Officials are now saying it was likely a stowaway in the gear well. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3726 ... al-airport

HAL

barney captain

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:00 am

HAL wrote:
Officials are now saying it was likely a stowaway in the gear well. http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3726 ... al-airport

HAL

Tragic.....
Southeast Of Disorder

Kikko19

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 am

did Hawaii 5-O solved it?

RWA380

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am

HAL wrote:

HAL

Tragic, it sure makes me wonder what gets someone to take such tactile action. Are there any specific places that have n/s service to HNL that people are trying to get away from currently? R.I.P. troubled soul.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3/4, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777, DC-8-5/6/7, DC-9-1/3/5, MD-80/2/3/7/8, DC-10-10/30/40, MD-11, F-27, F-28, SWM, J31, D38, DH7, DH8, DH4 SD-330, B-146, L-1011-2/500, ATR-42/72, VCV, A-300/310/318/319/320, CR2/7

77H

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:15 pm

RWA380 wrote:
HAL wrote:

HAL

Tragic, it sure makes me wonder what gets someone to take such tactile action. Are there any specific places that have n/s service to HNL that people are trying to get away from currently? R.I.P. troubled soul.

They haven't released the identify of the person. Until we know that they could be from anywhere. I'm sure a lot of you remember the young boy who successfully stowed away on an SJC-OGG flight so the body found could even be from a Domestic flight.

77H

MSJYOP28Apilot

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

HNL has flights that arrive from several places like MNL that would be likely candidates plus the domestic flying. It could have come from anywhere. If it came from a domestic Hawaii flight though I am not sure the body would have been frozen as those flights generally dont get very high or are very long in length. There is a good chance they will never be able to identify the body. Unless there was ID found on the body or they get a report of someone who is missing that matches the description of the body and the DNA matches, they wont likely ever know who it is.

BWIAirport

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:32 pm

USAirKid wrote:

If that were the case, would the body not have been dropped when the gear was extended on approach, rather than on the runway?
Next flight: AY5466/BAW66 PHL-LHR B744
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR | E190 DC9 712 733 737 738 739 752 762 77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

richierich

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

If that were the case, would the body not have been dropped when the gear was extended on approach, rather than on the runway?

That's what I would have thought too...usually the bodies of stowaways are found 3-5 miles out on the approach path. That doesn't appear to be the situation here, unless the body fell at a later time, but anything is possible. My first thought was that it was a vagrant who wandered into the secure area (that really might not be so secure.) But I do not know the specific area around this runway and that may not be realistic either.
None shall pass!!!!

77H

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
HNL has flights that arrive from several places like MNL that would be likely candidates plus the domestic flying. It could have come from anywhere. If it came from a domestic Hawaii flight though I am not sure the body would have been frozen as those flights generally dont get very high or are very long in length. There is a good chance they will never be able to identify the body. Unless there was ID found on the body or they get a report of someone who is missing that matches the description of the body and the DNA matches, they wont likely ever know who it is.

Even the shortest domestic flights to HNL are still 5+ hrs, not an insignficant amount of time. I have personally flown on flights cruising at every altitude between FL270-FL410. According to the flight info screen on my LAX-HNL flight this past Friday, it was -56F about 2 hours out of HNL. That is not survivable for any appreciable amount of time.

77H

77H

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 pm

richierich wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

That's what I would have thought too...usually the bodies of stowaways are found 3-5 miles out on the approach path. That doesn't appear to be the situation here, unless the body fell at a later time, but anything is possible. My first thought was that it was a vagrant who wandered into the secure area (that really might not be so secure.) But I do not know the specific area around this runway and that may not be realistic either.

Given where HAL said the body was found, it may be that the body did not become dislodged until touchdown. It is not uncommon for stowaways to be crushed by the landing gear as they retract. If severe enough, the body may have been lodged in the wheel bay until a strong enough force (like a plane hitting pavement) dislodged it.

77H

richierich

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm

77H wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

Even the shortest domestic flights to HNL are still 5+ hrs, not an insignficant amount of time. I have personally flown on flights cruising at every altitude between FL270-FL410. According to the flight info screen on my LAX-HNL flight this past Friday, it was -56F about 2 hours out of HNL. That is not survivable for any appreciable amount of time.

77H

You mean 'except for the dozens of domestic flights from other Hawaiian islands' that touch HNL every day...
None shall pass!!!!

barney captain

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:08 pm

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

I think you meant interisland, not domestic.

There are plenty of domestic flights from the mainland to Hawai'i that are long and high enough.
Southeast Of Disorder

superjeff

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Kikko19 wrote:

Except on TV, there is no Hawaii 5-0. Hawaii has no State police force.

A320FlyGuy

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:15 am

It amazes me that anyone could fit into the landing gear bay of a modern aircraft.
My other car is an A320-200

jagraham

Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 am

superjeff wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Hawaii does have a statewide Sheriff dept.

http://dps.hawaii.gov/about/divisions/l ... -division/

There are approximately 240 sworn officers in the Sheriff's division. They provide court services, fugitive investigation and apprehension, serving warrants, protection for the Governor, State Capital, and Honolulu International Airport. As well as state hospitals and Fort Ruger (Hawaii National Guard HQ). They do not provide statewide patrols along the lines of State Police departments in other states.

Virtual737

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:27 am

superjeff wrote:

You've just ruined my childhood. I'm watching Titanic later so no spoilers please.

RIP to this tragic soul.

flyPIT

Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:39 am

Virtual737 wrote:
superjeff wrote:

You've just ruined my childhood. I'm watching Titanic later so no spoilers please.

RIP to this tragic soul.

But Magnum P.I. will be making a comeback! Higgins is supposed to be a chick in the new series. Before anyone rolls eyes, the Kono in the newish 5-0 is much more attractive than the original.
FLYi

Kikko19

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 am

flyPIT wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
superjeff wrote:

RIP to this tragic soul.

But Magnum P.I. will be making a comeback! Higgins is supposed to be a chick in the new series. Before anyone rolls eyes, the Kono in the newish 5-0 is much more attractive than the original.

Loved Magnum, love H5O (2010 version) and happily waiting for a new Magnum then!!!!

MSJYOP28Apilot

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 pm

barney captain wrote:
MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:

I think you meant interisland, not domestic.

There are plenty of domestic flights from the mainland to Hawai'i that are long and high enough.

Yes, I meant inter-island flying. OGG/KOA/ITO/LIH-HNL stuff doesnt get very high.

Adipocere

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm

Could even be a trespasser who got hit/ got landed in by an airliner. RIP.

sw733

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

If a stowaway, one would assume Philippines and China may be the most likely candidates based on nonstop destinations from HNL. But, as mentioned, could come from anywhere, even within the US.

Also, we have seen cases where the body doesn't come out on the first flight...for example, the stowaway climbs aboard in Country A and passes away as the plane goes to Country B, but isn't found until it goes on to Country C.

777PHX

Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm

77H wrote:
richierich wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
Given where HAL said the body was found, it may be that the body did not become dislodged until touchdown. It is not uncommon for stowaways to be crushed by the landing gear as they retract. If severe enough, the body may have been lodged in the wheel bay until a strong enough force (like a plane hitting pavement) dislodged it.

77H

South African had one about a decade ago where the guy got crushed in the gear during the retraction sequence. I think he ended up doing a fair bit of damage to the aircraft and left a lot of his biological material smeared in the undercarriage and the underside of the aircraft.

ha763

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:43 am

Latest news is that surveillance footage shows something tumbling on the runway when a Delta flight was departing for Japan. They are also checking other footage to see if the breach was caught on camera.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3728 ... lu-airport

DL599 to FUK took off at 11:47 on Saturday, which would make it the closest Delta departure to Japan to the time when the body was found. The only other Delta flight that could match is DL181 to NRT, which took off at 10:49.

77H

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 am

ha763 wrote:
Latest news is that surveillance footage shows something tumbling on the runway when a Delta flight was departing for Japan. They are also checking other footage to see if the breach was caught on camera.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3728 ... lu-airport

DL599 to FUK took off at 11:47 on Saturday, which would make it the closest Delta departure to Japan to the time when the body was found. The only other Delta flight that could match is DL181 to NRT, which took off at 10:49.

Says something about the state of the country to have someone stowaway out of the US.
I wonder if the missile attack contributed to the security breach. I'm sure HNL was in chaos following the alert. People likely scrambling all over the terminal area lookin for shelter. Law enforcement, TSA and airport staff was likely preoccupied with the panic.

77H

EA CO AS

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am

flyPIT wrote:
Before anyone rolls eyes, the Kono in the newish 5-0 is much more attractive than the original.

Except she left the show after last season with another cast member in a contract dispute. Shame.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos