santi319
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines Complaints Down, More Flights On Time Than American Or United

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 pm

The most recent reporting of airline on time performance data from the Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) came with a big surprise: low cost carrier Spirit Airlines has turned into one of the most punctual carriers in the country.

As of November 2017, the most recent month in which on-time performance data is reported, Spirit Airlines is now delivering 89.75% of flights on time, only behind Delta Air Lines, which delivered 93.68%. Hawaiian, a carrier that typically performs the best (largely because of the excellent weather and lack of delays in its home airports), slipped to 89.31%.

Interestingly, the volume of complaints against Spirit Airlines is also dropping relative to American and Delta. In November of 2015, the Department of Transportation recorded 160 complaints against Spirit versus 314 and 185 on American and United respectively (noting that Spirit’s marketshare is over five time smaller than Americans). For the same month in 2017, Spirit only had 62 complaints while American and United had 161 and 104.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin/2018/01/14/spirit-airlines-now-delivers-more-flights-on-time-than-american-or-united/

I guess the Airline everyone loves to hate is getting it together... Wifi expected at the end of the year.

flymco753

Re: Spirit Airlines Complaints Down, More Flights On Time Than American Or United

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Great things going for Spirit!
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

CairnterriAIR

Re: Spirit Airlines Complaints Down, More Flights On Time Than American Or United

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 pm

I read someplace that Disney is assisting with some employee training. I wonder if that could be a factor?

32andBelow

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:41 pm

Spirit is very up front with their offerings and price structure. They fill a great spot and are a good airline.

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:52 am

Good to hear that NK is striving to make improvements to be more pax happy and reduce the effects of the ULCC stereotype. But the 28-inch pitch is enough to keep me away.

sw733

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:09 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Good to hear that NK is striving to make improvements to be more pax happy and reduce the effects of the ULCC stereotype. But the 28-inch pitch is enough to keep me away.

The few times I've flown them, I've always popped for the Big Front Seat and still come in cheaper than any other airline. Haven't had a bad experience yet.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 am

All true, spirit is soaring. Some a.neters will call this "fake news" since they are out to defend the legacies at all costs.

Spirit is extremely up front on their product , as is allegiant.

Q

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 am

Will they drop bags fee?

Q

aemoreira1981

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 am

wedgetail737 wrote:

29-30 is quickly becoming the norm in European short haul though. Now, as for Disney assisting in customer training, that was a thread here a few months ago. I also wonder how Norwegian, itself a ULCC with a large TATL network, is helping people understand Spirit more as each has a similar principle (unbundling of fares).

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 am

Q wrote:
Will they drop bags fee?

Q

Wishful thinking. NK probably makes a pretty penny off of baggage fees.

ericm2031

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:25 am

I think at first the ULCC model was not familiar to a lot of Americans (outside of G4's routes). Spirit came in on business travel heavy routes where many weren't familiar with the model...now it is much more familiar to most. And the ones who may have complained in the past probably don't fly on them or at least know what they are going to get.

wedgetail737

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 am

Wasn't PE the first ULCC carrier before ULCC's were fashionable?

eal

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:00 am

Good for Spirit but no thanks, planes are so uncomfortable with those bus seats, you get what you pay for and Im willing to spend a bit more to avoid NK and F9 at all costs.

ctrabs0114

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:04 am

eal wrote:
Good for Spirit but no thanks, planes are so uncomfortable with those bus seats, you get what you pay for and Im willing to spend a bit more to avoid NK and F9 at all costs.

All honesty, lack of Wifi is another factor in my avoiding NK. Yes, I'm aware of how they price their flights with their fee scheme, etc., but considering WN serves most of the same markets that NK does out of KPIT (save for KMYR) and considering that it's less of a pain in the backside to deal with WN compared to NK, I'll stick with WN.

And don't get me started on how F9 has basically toyed with Pittsburgh in the past couple of years...
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

freakyrat

Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm

NK becoming AirTran Lite.

MIflyer12

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 pm

I don't know why the OP, much less a Forbes article, relied on one month of data. Sustain the performance - then it's a success story.

RamblinMan

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:25 pm

It's just one month, but I think they're genuinely trying to turn it into a good operation. They're very upfront about what you get included.

After a decade of swearing I'd never set foot on a Spirit plane, I finally gave them a try. For $90 roundtrip I was beyond satisfied. I found the regular economy seat to be tight but bearable for a 90-minute trip. On the return I treated myself to a $30 "upgrade" and found the Big Front Seat to be one of the best values in the industry.

flymco753

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:26 pm

freakyrat wrote:
NK becoming AirTran Lite.
Essentially, but it's a mix of AirTran and original Spirit which is what makes it even more exciting.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Travelmanager

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Per the article, it is evident that the number of complaints is still high compared to the number of flights that they operate. As has been mentioned, it will be interesting to see if the operational performance trend continues. I wouldn't take them on a transcon, but may consider them for a shorter flight if the price was right. On a short flight, if I don't need to check a bag and I only have a small carry-on, then my airport experience is more important than the inflight service.

As legacies have rolled out basic economy to match what Spirit has to offer, the end result has been that Spirit's business model isn't that odd anymore.

NWADTWE16

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm

F9 "the works" imo is actually the best deal in the industry. You pay your el cheepo fare and then for maybe $60 more each way it becomes fully refundable! and includes a bag, a carry on and their stretch seating which is 38". Every plane I've flown has had great crew and beautiful new interior with black seating.
I don't fly them much but after DL & B6, its F9 for me over NK no question
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos